USAA Logo

5.1

LAST UPDATED: September 15th, 2022

Founded in 1922 by a group of military servicemen, USAA provides financial services specifically for members of the United States military and their immediate family.

View Best Mortgage Lenders

The Good

• Competitive Interest Rates
  • Frequent Customer Communication
  • Mobile App

Competitive Interest Rates

As of December 2016, for a borrower with excellent credit purchasing a $250,000 home with a $50,000 down payment and a 30-year fixed rate loan from USAA, the interest rate comes out to be 4.50 percent. This is very competitive with interest rates offered by other top companies in the industry.

Frequent Customer Communication

USAA strives to make the home loan process simple and secure for its customers by providing them with frequent updates about the status of their loan.

Mobile App

USAA provides its borrowers with a mobile app that is compatible with Apple, Android, and Windows devices. Customers can use this app to view and manage their loan from their smartphone or tablet.

The Bad

Limited Information

USAA has not disclosed closing costs or minimum credit score requirements on its corporate website.

The Bottom Line

USAA offers competitive interest rates, frequent loan updates, and a mobile app. However, the company is not entirely transparent on its website.

View Best Mortgage Lenders

3.0

Wolf Hindrichs Kenosha, WI

USAA makes the entire mortgage experience easy -- from their services where they link you up with a realtor, give you a discount when you use their realtor, and their first-in-class user-interface (a real winner when you see what other banks or other mortgage providers have in place), you can't go wrong. Now, it's less likely that you'll be able to talk or negotiate down your rate with USAA than you may be able to do with some select companies, but they have the going rate, are fair, and are polite.

Tara Gillispie Hurricane, WV

I already had a credit account with Usaa so I figured it would be really easy to be able to open a mortgage loa. With them and boy was I right. And they gave me the quotes of a lifetime. So happy.

Michelle Crane Phoenix, AZ

When we were buying our first home and looking for a company to finance our loan we looked into USAA. I have been a USAA member since I was 13 and have always been impressed with their excellent customer service. When going through the process I was confused at some of the questions asked about our finances and income so I called in and didn’t even have to wait on hold for long. The customer service agent explained everything and helped me through the process of obtaining a pre qualification letter so that we could see how much we would be approved for.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

Twenty-four years of having a mortgage with USAA has taught me to appreciate their attention to detail and service philosophy. I bought my first house with them in 1995 and it has been a great experience from start to finish.

D tyler

Friendly, efficient and timely response. Have always told me when, where and how to resolve a claim.

Natalie Shuman

USAA has knowledgeable employees who are proficient and skillful and works for the buyer.

James Strassburg

I purchased and refinanced my home and USAA was easy to work with

Mark