Newrez Logo

5.8

LAST UPDATED: September 14th, 2022

Newrez, founded in 2008, has done business as a mortgage lender and broker in the majority of states across the US. Newrez is unique because it offers a variety of home loan products to homebuyers looking to fund their personal residence and in addition offers specialty products that cater towards investors, commercial builders, realtors, and developers.

Jump down to the NewRez reviews below if you want to see what people have said about their experience with this mortgage lender.

The Good

• Variety of Loan Types
  • Mortgage Programs for Non-Owner Occupied Properties
  • Commercial Lending Options
  • Refinancing Options
  • Newrez Reviews

Variety of Loan Types

With Newrez, you can expect to choose from the following lending options as a potential homebuyer:

• Fixed rate loan
  • Adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) loan
  • FHA loan
  • VA loan
  • Investor property loan

Something unique about Newrez is its investor property loan product. Newrez offers a loan that is specifically structured for those who are interested in purchasing an investment property. If you are a real-estate investor, Newrez is one of the few mortgage lenders that offers competitively priced mortgages specifically designed for investment properties.

Mortgage Programs for Non-Owner Occupied Properties

A specialized Newrez loan program option for 2 to 4 unit properties, low/mid/high-rise condos, and warrantable site condos.

Commercial Lending Options

Newrez is unique because it has a wide selection of loan options for homebuyers, but it also has several lending options that reach beyond just a single family purchase. Builders, realtors, and developers have specialty loan options that cater to them.

Newrez offers joint venture loans to help builders, realtors, and developers fund their commercial projects. Not only can it provide the right mortgage projects for these sorts of projects, but it also brings its expertise needed to bring the project to life. If you work with Newrez to fund one of your projects, you can be assured that you’ll get the following:

• Marketing support
  • Expertise in compliance regulations
  • A professional management team
  • Advanced technology for project support

These products and services are rarely offered by a consumer-based mortgage company, making Newrez stand apart from the competition. Take advantage of this program if you fall into the criteria mentioned above.

Refinancing Options

Newrez has great refinancing options that can help current or future homeowners save a lot of money on interest payments, monthly payments, or PMI. It offers traditional refinancing and also cash-out refinancing options; however, certain qualifications and requirements may limit your options.

Newrez Reviews

Newrez reviews are currently limited, but 77 percent of customer reviews are 4 or 5 stars. Many customers mention how Newrez provided excellent customer service and competitive mortgage rates that can help keep mortgage payments low.

The Bad

No Free Pre-Approval Service

NewRez offers a pre-approval service to help borrowers enter the home buying market. Most Mortgage lenders offer a free pre-approval service, saving potential homeowners a few hundred bucks, but it is unclear if NewRez offers this as a free service like other lenders or not.

The Bottom Line

NewRez is a great mortgage lender for traditional homebuyers who are looking to secure a mortgage for their own home. In addition, NewRez's special mortgage products and services cater to property investors, realtors, builders, and developers, making it a great option for those that are looking to get funding and expertise for a commercial piece of property.

Speak with one a company representatives to see if NewRez is able to do business in your state.

View Best Mortgage Lenders

3.7

Gaspar Isla Fontana, CA

I think it is a very good mortgage company, I am woking with this company since April 2019 and until now, I had not any problem with this company, I receive every month my statement and I double check everything and it is always correct.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

Our old mortgage company got bought out by Newrez. It has been an easy transition. We are able to do direct depoist and still get a mortgage statement in the mail each month. It has a lot of information on it and its been a great company so far.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

NewRez serviced our mortgage for a while and while I had no complaints since my auto draft never caused issue. They could stand to update their website a bit. When I went to refinance they did solicit me after my lender ordered my payoff. To be expected to try and retain a client, but ultimately the local lender I went with was a better fit for our loan.

Hillary Bennett Washington, DC

Customer Service was both friendly and helpful, once I got in touch with a representative. I only give four stars because the automated system necessary to reach a representative is time consuming and stressful, maybe one of the worst I have navigated. Their website has also given me issues on a number of occasions, but I was told they are continually working on issues. The company now has an app that makes paying my mortgage simpler. However, I would never have known about the app if had not made a call regarding other concerns.

K.H. Tehachapi, CA

Our mortgage company has changed 4 times since 2008, and New Rez has been the ABSOLUTE BEST! New Rez continually sends us updates on our mortgage, property value, and always keeps us in the loop. We have NEVER had a better mortgage company, and I really hope they don’t change us again! I would HIGHLY recommend New Rez to anyone looking for an honest and transparent mortgage company. I would rate them 20 out of 10!!!

Breanna Clayton Southfield, MI

I enjoy having NewRez as a mortgage company. Any updates or changes are sent via email and mail. No issues thus far

Amber Herrin, IL

Run!!! This company doesn't even deserve 1 star. I refinanced through NewRez in April 2020. I received a letter on November 11, 2020 my taxes were delinquent. I made several calls to NewRez stating my taxes had to be paid by Dec 9, 2020 or my properly would be sold. Online I finally see they paid my taxes Dec 11, 2020, 2 days after the due date, so my property was sold. I called the county tax office and they never received the payment. Called Newrez and instead of finding out what happened to the payment, they withdrew another $2500 from my escrow to send to the tax office. My account showed they paid the taxes 3 times, but when I called the county they had no record of payment. Finally on March 30, 2021 the county finally received my payment (4 and 1/2 months after I informed them it was late and 7 months after the actual due date). Since, they "paid" $7500 out of my escrow account, newrez proceeded to send me an escrow analysis that my escrow was short and my payment would be going up $300. When you call customer service or email them you are told you will receive a response. Customer service can not provide you any answer. They can either submit a complaint or send your inquiry to another department. I have made over 60 inquiries in 5 months and received 1 response. The response didn't even address my issue. This is negligence and they have been committing theft.

Melvinia Dorsey ,

This loan company purchased my loan from . I had my loan refinanced through New Rez who already held my loan and they totally gave me false numbers. When i went to pay my first payment they claim they estimated my pay off to be too little. I had 4,800 dollars in my old escrow before closing not to mention they collected 12/months of escrow in advance towards my new loan. When my first payment was due after refinancing with them my Nationwide homeowners insurance called me saying my insurance was about to be cancelled due to lack of payment. I also got a bill from the tax office for an additional 78.00. I thought this was strange since i had money in my old escrow and i prepaid 12 months for the new loan. I called multiple times and emailed but no one called me back. I submitted a complaint to the consumer financial protection agency to evaluate. Trust me, I reviewed everything with a fine tooth comb questioning everything only for them to screw me over. I have paid several months into my new loan escrow and as of today my escrow was showing a neg 586.00. How could this be. Do not use this company unless you want a headache. I do not trust them at all. I have never experienced anything like this ever and i have owned previous property and i have refinanced many times before and have never experienced anything like this.....Waiting for resolution.

David Cole ,

HiLARIOUS THAT THEIR SITE SAYS BEAR WITH THEM DUE TO COVID—Longer wait times— BUT WHEN OUR HOME SOLD —NEVER A LATE PAYMENT— but the close was delayed due to COVID-/ so they received the $170,000 payoff 9 hrs late- and reported it as late to credit bureaus ruining my son’s credit. Seriously? FORGET CUSTOMER SERVICE—THEY DO!!!! We tried calling, writing, posted on their website —they reply saying— “ email us at [email protected] so we can address issue “. That’s code for “THEY COULD NOT CARE ANY LESS AND will Say so when you email - !” I’d like to hear how many customers actually had any customer service issues resolved......it’s like BILL GATES SAID: “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - Of course some people never learn.......NEWREZ certainly has demonstrated they do not value customer Satisfaction. I Would never refer them to anyone! Run, don’t walk!!!

TexasT Sherman, TX

My account was sold to NewRez from DiTech in January 2020. Their website is very user friendly but what I really like about NewRez is they update my payment the day I make it. I can also make extra payments any time.

Mr Fields Turbeville, SC

Newrez is a great mortgage company. They are veteran friendly. When the mortgage rates dropped they reached out to us with options. We haven’t had a bad experience with them after several years.

Vincent Cami Bellmore, NY

Stay away from New Rez. I have spoken with several supervisors and said my escrow will be removed and still has not. I paid them $5710 on July 27th to be applied to escrow. They are still charging me monthly. They are destroying my credit. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH NEW REZ. Worst bank to do business with they don't care about you! STAY AWAY!

Scott Grange San Jose, CA

Billing and online dashboard are easy to use. Seamless transition when they bought my loan from another provider.

Michael Gallegos San Antonio, TX

Honest staff, upfront with all information, great cash out with a great payment