LendingTree Logo

LendingTree

8.1

LAST UPDATED: September 17th, 2021

Founded in 1996, LendingTree is an online mortgage loan marketplace, providing a list of multiple lenders to easily compare rates and fees. The company provides lending services for mortgages, auto loans, business loans, personal loans, and more.

LendingTree offers nationwide coverage so you can use the company as your lending marketplace regardless of your state of residence. To access a list of mortgage lenders, consumers need to fill out a form before receiving personalized rates and terms.

Continue reading for a full review of this mortgage company or jump down to read LendingTree mortgage reviews.

The Good

• Multiple Loan Options
  • Competitive Mortgage Rates
  • Educational Resources

Multiple Loan Options

LendingTree allows customers to view multiple home loan options simultaneously from various lenders - LendingTree doesn't originate home loans.

LendingTree provides free and easy comparisons entirely online and is available to consumers in all 50 states. The company displays interest rates and fees from many of the top mortgage lenders in the country.

Lending Tree provides the following loan types through its mortgage lender network:

• Conventional loan
  • 30 and 15-year fixed mortgages
  • Adjustable rate mortgage loan (ARM)
  • FHA loan
  • VA loan
  • USDA loan
  • Jumbo loan
  • Home refinance loan
  • Reverse mortgage loan
  • Home equity loan

The variety of options allows customers to find the loan type that best fits their needs.

Competitive Mortgage Rates

As a mortgage marketplace, LendingTree puts its network of lenders in direct competition with one another. Because of this competition, lenders are more likely to provide lower rates and terms to catch the attention of the consumer.

It is important to note that while you may receive more competitive rates when you apply for a home loan with LendingTree, the rates and terms you will receive are dependent upon multiple factors, including your credit score and debt-to-income ratio (DTI) — the lowest rate can't be guaranteed.

Educational Resources

LendingTree offers a wide selection of educational resources on its website, which is useful for customers who are new to home loans. The company provides tools for checking your home's value, deciding between renting and buying, and several interactive financial calculators.

In addition, you can find a glossary of common mortgage terms on its website, as well as mortgage news and articles.

The Bad

Personal Info Required

In order to access a list of mortgage lenders, prospective buyers must provide their city and state, loan amount, annual income, employment status, credit score, date of birth, bankruptcy and foreclosure history, and street address. All of this information is crucial for a lender to have in order to determine eligibility, interest rate, and beyond, but it would be helpful for users to be able to see a list of lenders before sharing their information.

The Bottom Line

LendingTree is a reliable platform to shop around for a mortgage loan, allowing a borrower to secure a  favorable interest rate on their chosen loan product. After filling out an information form, the company displays mortgage rates from several different companies at once so the consumer can compare lenders all at once.

One downside of the LendingTree platform is that your personal information is required before receiving access to a list of compatible mortgage lenders. Keep in mind that you'll likely want to verify fees and additional costs directly with each lender before going through with the mortgage, since rates are subject to change.

LendingTree mortgage reviews are currently limited, but they are a mix of 5 and 1-star ratings. One large customer complaint is that you may get  inundated with calls since your information will be shared with third parties. However, many customers speak to LendingTree's competitive rates and fast funding times.

Read LendingTree reviews from real customers below.

3.7

David Swenson Denver, CO

Overall, I had a great experience. Filled out a simple form and received a handful of competitive quotes. My only critique is that I did not know these credit inquiries/activities could decrease my credit score. I would have loved to have been told that as I started the research process, but again maybe that is just on me to know!

Sharon La Crosse, WI

They gather all the paperwork and walk you thru it as quick and painless as possible. Fees are very reasonable.

Tony Irizarry Buffalo, NY

Outstanding customer service and a very easy loan process. Able to customize loan and also great working with people that actually understand what you expect and need from a lender.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

I first went to Lending Tree to get a bill consolation loan. Their rates were well below what others were charging so I took out two loans over two different occasions. I paid off one of the loans early and have been paying ahead on the other. One annoying thing that has been happening is that I am getting "teaser" emails from them asking me to go on their site and check my "new" rate I can get for being a great customer....only trouble is that when I get there, they direct me to another company with the statement that THEY can not provide me any service at "this" time. I have been sending their e-mails into my spam folder because I feel this is a deceptive practice.

Santow Shamon Gurnee, IL

I was browsing for a small personal loan and came across lending tree. Very easy to get started and I had loan options in minutes. They offer you choices of different lending companies with their rates and terms upfront. I've had two loans myself within three years. You receive your money within days. Excellent customer service.

AKMarvalous Wasilla, AK

I used LendingTree for a refinance. LendingTree helped find me the best mortgage company to suit my needs.

Roshini Suehiro ,

Lending Tree needs to clearly explain that they are not a lending company. They give your information to third parties and you are flooded with phone calls. This is very bad for the mortgage as people are inquiring for loans and every single person is calling you and do not know if these people are trusted individuals handling your information. Mortgage inquiry should not be taken lightly you are working with peoples homes and this maybe their only home and you have a scammer who might take your home away from you. I want everyone to know to be careful using Lending Tree for mortgage loans. Check who they are and company they are working with and investigate the company as well.

Brittany Alshawy Colorado Springs, CO

Pretty good company. They get you funding fast. They work with poorer credit scores on most occasions it seems. And they function in a structured manner. I also like that they have a lot of lenders to help get you the best rates.

Gary Kapanowski Macomb, MI

They use an ad that asks you if you want to see what your new payment will be. However, you must enter your contact information toget your new payment. Your contact information is shared with a bunch of mortgage companies. They all start lighting up your phone and flooding your mail.

brandon bingham West Jordan, UT

They were pretty aggressive when it came to trying to sell me somehting that I wasn't interested in. Their rates weren't quite as good as Wells Fargo.

Debbie Farrow ,

They have a great and easy website that is easy to use to calculate your credit rating without getting a credit ding.

Jay F Dassow Wautoma, WI

Considering the time of year, especially with the holidays, I thought the service and turnaround was exceptionally fast.

Rob Ellensburg, WA

Very professional to the point lending program with the best rates out there. Super easy and convenient all the way to closing with no pressure .

Jordan Priest West Jordan, UT

My initial experience with Lending tree was awesome. I quickly had 6 mortgage companies, very professionally, contact me and was able to choose the one that best fit my needs. However, I'm still getting calls 1 year later, lots of calls.

Jeff Gonnason Kihei, HI

When I contacted lending tree I immediately began getting phone calls from 20 different mortgage agents, and none of them any good.

joe iovino Brooksville, FL

GOOD INFORMATIVE SIGHT EVERYTHING SPELLED OUT,VERY ACCURATE,WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Jacob Sterling, VA

The process was very smooth and very quick. Everyone involved were extremely helpful. Highly recommend.

Allan Sivils Virginia Beach, VA

Excellent experience. Sean and Colin were great. Great turn around and amazing customer service. thanks!

Mitchel Davenport Santa Fe, NM

Staff was attentive, knowledgeable and professional. Everyone went exactly as stated. No surprises or games. I'll do it again.

MURPHY HILL Germantown, MD

It was a great experience working with Lendingtree . They're fast friendly and easy to work with.

Kelly Zemrose Tampa, FL

Super easy to use and takes much less time than doing the research yourself. I plan to use again.

Tualagi Saint George, UT

Lengthy application. They advertise bad credit, no credit they still will get us approved. That is not true. I was declined a few times. Then i kept getting phone calls / voice mail from Lending Tree saying i have been approved which is totally false.

B Evans Venice, FL

I began the process with Lending Tree. My email address was required. Now I am getting dozens of spam emails every day.

Shari Sandoz Ord, NE

Always very responsive when trying to get in touch with them.

Dale L Farmer Littleton, CO

I tried to give them a chance for doing my mortgage but they never got back to me.