Chase Logo

6.1

Chase is a subsidiary of JPMorgan Chase & Co., which was established in 1824. Chase merged with JPMorgan in 2000. Chase Bank offers travel rewards cards, debit cards, car buying and loans, savings accounts and CDs, business and private client services, investing, checking accounts, and home lending.

Chase home lending products include fixed-rate loans, adjustable-rate mortgages, refinance services, and Chase DreaMaker® Mortgages.

The Good

• Interest Rates
  • Mortgage Types
  • Convenience
  • Consumer Education

Interest Rates

As of October 2018, for a borrower with excellent credit purchasing a $250,000 home with a $50,000 down payment and a 30-year fixed rate loan from Chase, the interest rate comes out to be 4.875 percent, which is competitive among interest rates offered by other top mortgage lenders.

Mortgage Types

Chase offers a variety of loan options for borrowers to choose from, including fixed rate mortgages, adjusted-rate mortgages, jumbo loans for amounts between $417,000 and $2 million, DreaMaker® mortgages for borrowers with less-than-ideal credit, FHA loans, VA loans, and refinance services.

Convenience

Chase mortgages can be managed through online accounts and via the Chase mobile app, which is compatible with and highly-rated for both Apple and Android devices. This app allows borrowers to stay on top of home loan details on the go.

Online account access includes making mortgage payments, getting information on your escrow, submitting an insurance claim, and requesting a payoff quote. Chase home equity services are managed on a separate home equity account.

You can also enroll in an automatic payment service so you don’t have to worry about remembering to pay each month.

Consumer Education

Chase’s mortgage learning center includes all necessary tools and information relevant to shopping for a mortgage, including:

• Affordability tool (price range for a new home)
  • Mortgage calculator (rate and payment details)
  • Home value estimator
  • Moving timeline
  • Understanding your escrow statement

The Bad

Some Details Unclear

It is unclear how frequently Chase loan officers communicate with customers throughout the mortgage application process. Presumably, the process is done mostly online, but Chase does have branch locations across the U.S.

Origination fees, closing costs, and credit score requirements are not disclosed on the company’s corporate website. We do know that down payments can be as low as 3% and in some cases you can apply up to $3,000 of your down payment to closing costs.

The Bottom Line

Chase is a trusted lender with which to secure a mortgage. Consumer reviews are overwhelmingly positive and recurring themes include the ease of payment and a high quality of customer service.

Chase’s interest rates are competitive and if you have a credit card account with Chase Bank, borrowing from the company for a home loan is especially convenient. Finally, Chase’s flagship DreaMaker® loan program is worth looking into if your credit isn’t good, requiring only 3% for a down payment (all of which can originate from an eligible grant or gift).

View Best Home Loans Companies

Valencia Rucker Maple Heights, OH

I have chase as my primary bank and I use them for my mortgage loan and they are outstanding. From the moment I purchased my home they have been very helpful. They walked me through the entire process which made it so much easier on me

Aaron & Barbara Rost Fairview Heights, IL

This company has owned our home loan for 14 years now, and I have had zero issues. They have made managing my mortgage easy with their own line app and perfect customer service on the phone. They have always ensured I get the best deal, and protected.

Stefanie Ewer ,

We are looking at refinancing our home with chase bank. We contacted them and immediately had an email from them and a follow up phone call. Carlos sent us all the necessary paperwork that we needed to proceed with our refinance. Great bank who work with and great customer service.

Kent Logan, UT

After refinancing our home loan years ago, Chase became our loan servicer. Statements and online banking were all very clear and easy to use. Their terms were very fair - no hidden surprises. I would have been happy to stay with them, but we recently refinanced again and were not given a choice in loan servicer.

Jlbfla Pompano Beach, FL

Signed up with chase after continuing to receive reward for opening an account. They were closer so took a chance. Really love the app and ease of getting all information I want quickly and by phone or email. Everything is right there that you need to see. Deposit checks online. Zelle to send and receive. Continue to update the app with more handy info. I really like chase better than any bank I have used over the years. If I have problem with website the fix it immediately.

Kaleb Herbert Gilbert, AZ

I absolutely love this bank. They are easily accessible as they are on every corner. They staff is friendly and knowledgable. I have been banking with them for over 10 years. When there has been an issue they are always willing to work with me to resolve it. I have a 2nd mortgage with them, which was signed and closed over the phone and by mail.

Elmer Pimentel Pacoima, CA

Chase bank is extremely reliable and they are very easy to approach and get started with!

Timothy Lesperance Fort Worth, TX

Great service and the Amazon card rocks! Love the benefits and ease of access dealing with this account.

Steve Ashby , AZ

I refinanced my house with Chase several years ago. Our original loan was with Chase and they did a great job with giving us a fee-less refi at a great rate. With rates so low I wanted to refi again and gave Chase the first opportunity...not such a great experience. Lots of fees and not a very good rate... They were responsive and good about getting me through the qualifying, but I'll have to refi with someone else this next time.

Roxana Perez ,

Chase offers a broad selection of purchase and refinance mortgages, easy online rate shopping, and online loan tracking and document uploads. However, their interest rates tend to be on the high end.

Tiauna Anderson Sandy, UT

We used Chase bank to refinance our primary residence this summer when the rates hit historic lows. Chase was so easy to work with, helped us get all documentation needed for closing. and made sure we stayed on track for our needed deadline. I highly recommend!

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I got a loan with Chase and they were very professional. They helped me through all of the steps and made the process easy for me. They pre-approved me and I was ready to go house shopping and then when I found the right one it was a quick closing.

Jennifer Hargrave Gilbert, AZ

I am a long time customer of Chase Banking and have had nothing but great experiences with both our personal and business accounts. We have had two incidents where out credit card was fraudulently used and both times Chase denied the purchases, contacted us immediately and had new cards issued that day. I always feel protected using Chase.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

If you are looking for stability in a lender then look no further than Chase Bank. They have really great Mortgage rates right now. We are looking to purchase a second home in southern Utah and for a fixed rate right now it is unbelievable! The best thing about Chase is that it is a massive financial institution in the U.S. and wherever we move I know I can find help and trust that this is a solid bank that can help.

Leslee Muramoto Draper, UT

The rates and fees were comparable to the other companies we compared with at the time of the loan. We have autopay and so far haven’t had any issues in the 4 years we’ve been with them. We almost switched last year to a company with lower rates and I was surprised at how little Chase did to try to retain us as a customer. We tried to see if they’d give us a similar rate at a no cost refinance and they wouldn’t even call us back until the other lender was getting information from them. We stayed with Chase because the cost wasn’t worth it to switch the loan. So I guess they’re great as long as you don’t want to feel like a valued customer?

Melanie Kinslow Buda, TX

Chase is one of the absolute best banks. They are trustworthy, reliable, customer service friendly, helpful, and constantly monitor our accounts and credit cards. They call whenever there is any suspicious activity and we truly appreciate that. Getting a loan with them has been an easy process, and they provide all kinds of services for free like a notary public, money orders and currency exchanges.

J Paul Wright Central, UT

Chase is my current mortgage provider. It was the third change on my current home. They have been easy to deal with and their online payment and account management is excellent. Probably the easiest company I have had to deal with as for as mortgages go. It doesn't hurt that I also have a credit card with them, so it automatically tied to my account.

Gina Marie Commack, NY

I cringe every time I see a chase bank. Their fees are outrageous, they also charge for the tiniest things as in some thing that happened the same day they still do not refund you

Jason Zeller Glendale, AZ

I’ve had checking accounts and credit cards with chase. I’m most impressed with the credit card. The slate card has great benefits

Sharon Lester ,

I like the the fact you can do just about everything from there app. There customer service in us is great and usually, most problems are solved quickly.

Michele Heist Jacksonville, NC

I had a VA loan through Chase for about 16 years. My rate was 6%. I was forced to leave my job and apply for disability and they were NOT willing to work with me. I applied for mortgage assistance and they completely used the wrong information. They forced me to reapply and again they messed it up. My VA rep got involved and I applied again. I ended up applying 4 times and they still couldn't get it right. They started foreclosure procedures and I fought back. All of a sudden they approved me for a modification! It lowered my rate to 3.5%.

sandra timmons

Been my husband's for many years any never an issue-When he has ?'s we call and they answer we all the facts and when I hang up my husband knows where he stands-One terrific company to have on your side side

Barbara Clayton

We have used Chase banking for about 5 years and are very happy with it. We started with receiving the bonus money for tranferring a certain amount into our accont. We moved from one state to another and it was great to have Chase in both places. It made the move and selling and buying our houses easier. We like having a Chase in Wal-Mart, which has veen convenient.

Brian Scott Provo, UT

I can't say enough good things about Chase Mortgage. They offer competitive rates and have a variety of home loan options. When I had questions about my loan, their customer service representatives were courteous, patient, and knowledgeable.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

Chase Mortgage has carried our home loan and I couldn't be happier. We are also bank and credit card customers. The website is safe and secure, easy to navigate and use to access statements, refinancing options, and even help with payments.

Keri Christensen Lehi, UT

Our mortgage just got switched over to chase and I couldn’t be happier. I was not aware that it was switching and so out mortgage was 2 months past due. They called us up and we got it all straightened out and they were extremely helpful. No late charges and no negative reports to the credit companies.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Chase. We use Chase for many things including a home loan. I love their customer service and their app is my favorite. When we got a home loan we first decided to see what we could afford and then got a loan for that amount, we didn't go so how much of a loan we could get first. I felt this was smarter.

James B nelson Las Vegas, NV

Chase moved quickly to take over my mortgage once initiated. They have been excellent for the billing and helpful in their reporting. I have no complaints. OF course I have been a perfect customer so they have had no need for an exception.

James Winnie Gilbert, AZ

This process is never fun, but my experience with Chase was as straight-forward as it gets. They told me exactly what I needed, what not to do (get new lines of credit and stuff), and we just waited for underwriting to finish. Their rates are reasonable, and they have never sold my loan to a different carrier. Service has always been there when I've needed it. Payment terms are well advertised, including penalty date.

Mike Xavier Rocklin, CA

TERRIBLE experience! Was pre-approved for a mortgage & entered binding contract to find out that we were NOT approved! Was so upset & found a different lender that approved us. THEN CHASE called to say they made a mistake on the file & we were indeed approved! BUT their error was our gain; second lender got us a rate of almost 1% lower than that of CHASE!!!

Tagg Ogden, UT

I don’t feel like Chase gives you the best mortgage rate possible. I enjoy going through a personal mortgage lender who wants to really earn my business. Chase is rates were not as competitive.

Dawn Waikoloa, HI

My mortgage was sold to Chase many years ago. These are the reasons for my 1 Star: A few years ago Chase contacted me about doing a refi with a much lower interest rate. After going through multiple phone calls, emails, and verification they told me they would not do the loan because I had a second on my home which was ridiculous! The second was a state loan for emergency repair, which I qualified for, all repairs made and the loan does not allow you to make payments. You have to pay off the entire amount within 15 years. Chase would not do my refi and give me cash to pay off the second, they said the second had to be paid off before they would consider doing the loan. 2. I could not pay off the second, but stayed with Chase. This year they mandated I have hurricane insurance. The state I live in does NOT mandate hurricane insurance, but Chase is. So that is $1,500 of wasted money. I am refinancing with another lender. Watch out for Chase!

wayne sanders Valley Center, CA

several years ago our home loan was with Chase. we chose to go with Chase because we felt that the terms of our loan were were fair and what we could work with. our agent was nice and explained everything clearly and took the time to answer any questions we had.

Bella Houtz South Jordan, UT

We've banked with Chase for years. Customer service is very helpful and are always friendly and eager to answer any questions.

Kati Biren

Customer service is SO frustrating and they do audits of my account in OCTOBER before our city releases the proposed taxes for the next year so I'm always under or over in my escrow...the website is easy to use/get info from

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Chase bank had great rates, they made the process fast and there weren't too many steps and hoops to jump through. I have confidence in the overall risk of my loan because the bank has such a good reputation.

Cristiana Orem, UT

I have an account in Chase and I can not complain about it. My husband and I transferred our Home Loans to Chase two years ago as we found out that we should pay less interest if we moved to Chase.

Charlene Mackay Orem, UT

We were really excited when our home loan was transferred to Chase. Their online service is much better than our previous company. We’ve been with Chase for only a few months, but so far so good!

Ann Bailey Lehi, UT

I don't call Chase very often, but the few times I had, I was a little disappointed in their Customer Service. I felt like they brushed off my complaint, and didn't get it resolved in the phone call as I had hoped.

Mary West Jordan, UT

Chase bank has handled two of our home loans and they've always been easy to deal with. Setting up automatic payments online was very easy without any issues.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

Our first home loan was through Chase. A very reliable company with competitive interest rates. I would highly recommend getting your home loan through Chase.

Bella Houtz South Jordan, UT

Chase has good, fair internet rates. They are very easy to work with and after i got the loan they sold it immediately so I no longer have it. But i was happy with them and the process of getting my loan.

Edone Fleites Dallas, TX

They are informative and straight to the point about every question.

Kathy wong Jamaica, NY

Great service, answer any questions you concerned. Quick turnaround.great rate. They know the business very well.

Jess Root Gilbert, AZ

Our experience with Chase was pleasant. The rate was low, the communication was great and everything went smoothly.

teddy luszcz

I'll give them a benefit of a doubt since we had very little interaction with them. Every month we made the payment and that was it.

Nestor F Livermore, CA

Their technology is cutting edge and updated and making their service responsive and timely to customers

Peter Burkholder Phoenix, AZ

Good experience with Chase in the past. Since, switched to another bank for a HELOC with a more competative rate.mpetative rate

Dick Taeuber

good service, good customer support -- even though I am with them because theyu bought my re-fe mortgage

ken hedrick Palm Springs, CA

Disorganized loan application process. No one has authority to do anything and decision making seems to come out of a black box. Had to submit the same data several times. Do not recommend.