Caliber Home Loans began in 2013 when two separate entities, Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial, joined forces.

Despite it being a young company, the COO has over 25 years of experience in the mortgage banking industry and the CEO and other team members are likewise proficient with the ins and outs of the mortgage industry. Mortgages are the company's only business.

Unfortunately, customer reviews indicate that Caliber's customer base is less than satisfied with the company's lending services. Users give Caliber Home Loans 2.5/5 stars on average for customer service.

#1 NBKC Bank chevron_right
4.9
#2 Quicken Loans chevron_right
3.3
#3 Wells Fargo chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Mobile App
  • Several Loan Programs
  • Educational Resources

Mobile App

Caliber's mortgage servicing mobile app includes the following features, compatible with both iPhone and Android devices:

• Set up banking information for mortgage payments
  • View loan and escrow financial details
  • Upload loan applications and associated documents
  • Schedule one-time or monthly payments
  • View loan payment history
  • View the status of an in-process loan
  • Find a loan officer or contact the company

Several Loan Programs

Caliber Home Loans offers several different loan types, including the following:

• Fixed-rate loans with terms ranging from 10-30 years
  • Construction loans
  • VA loans
  • FHA loans
  • USDA loans

Because there are so many options, borrowers have the ability to find a loan that works best for them and their individual situation.

Educational Resources

Because buying a home can be a somewhat confusing process, Caliber Home Loans provides a wealth of educational resources to help prospective homebuyers better understand what is happening. The company offers a resource library that includes information about loan qualification, mortgage rates, escrow costs, mortgage insurance, closing costs, and other topics helpful to the consumer.

The Bad

• Lack of Transparency
  • Customer Service

Lack of Transparency

Caliber Home Loans does not provide several important pieces of information on its corporate website. For example, the company has not listed interest rates, closing costs (including origination fees), or minimum credit score on some loan types.

Though mortgage rates vary depending on loan types, loan amounts, and each customer's eligibility, many top companies provide calculators that give prospective borrowers an interest rate estimate based on a 30-year conventional loan scenario.

Multiple Caliber Home Loans reviews indicate that the company provides poor customer service.

The Bottom Line

One aspect of Caliber Home Loans that is unique is that it continues to service the majority of loans rather than transferring loans to a different company for servicing. Thus, you need only communicate with one company throughout the life of your loan. In addition, Caliber Home Loans offers several loan programs, a mobile app, and an educational resource library.

However, the lender is not as transparent as other mortgage lenders about important loan factors on its corporate website and reviews indicate that customer service is lacking, so you're better off financing with a different lender.

View Best Home Loans Companies

1.6

Ellen Daly
October 23rd, 2019 Buffalo, NY

They wrote a pre approval over the sale price and could not provide a mortgage commitment in 120 Days

Sheena
October 2nd, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

I lost my job and applied for a forbearance, after finally calling 3 times after 30 days they told me I had been approved for 6 months but my payments would be lowered and wouldn’t be pulled until my full months payment was in a separate account and each month I didn’t make a payment it would hit my credit score, I also had bi- weekly payments pulled and cancelled when I lost my job but they still pulled 2 more times then tried telling me different times that I hadn’t been up to date on my payment, I finally got the 5th guy speaking to figured it out and realized I’m now a month ahead in payments opposed to being behind, I swear if my credit report shows it being late I will be calling a million more times to complain! My loan was sold to caliber so I didn’t have a choice but let me tell you as soon as I can get it refinanced and away from Caliber I plan on it! They are the worse ever!

Bryan
September 17th, 2019 Kirklin, IN DETAILS

Find another lender. These people are clueless. From day 1 it was just positive talk, that everything would be fine, taken care of and was in good condition. Then closing got delayed 3 times for Caliber purposes. By the time we purchased our home we were over it... Then we decided we’d sell, just to find out there is a lease on our property with a windmill company we didn’t know about. This prevented the buyers from getting a loan. Our loan specialist said she didn’t know of any lease. Then corporate tried to cover their tracks and claim they knew about it. There’s a bone to be picked with several parties, but when we needed Caliber to support proof of there being nothing in closing about a lease, they left us high and dry... Find another lender. Wish I would have.

Elizabeth Wesley
May 21st, 2019 Odessa, TX DETAILS

I recently did a FHA STREAMLINE. Caliber Homes found out because they monitor mortgage hits on your credit. They called immediately after I started a FHA Refinance through another lender. They sent me a counter offer even, that would have cost me 12,000+ to get. The FHA Streamline didn't cost me a dime. I signed the title papers on the 25th of March 2019, and they were wired their monies on 3-29-1019, I have the wire number. They turned me in for 30 day late payment and have not updated the credit reports; so my credit score went down because of them. I will never use another fly=by=night mortgage company again. Would go with Quicken Loans. They are #1 in the nation. Grrrr. Never again. Rude, unethical, and unprofessional. Don't use them.

Nobert
May 16th, 2019 Fort Bragg, NC DETAILS

Caliber acquired my VA loan from Veteran's United and jacked up the escrow payments from $150 to $750 with no explanation. The escrow only pays the tax and that would be more than my annual property tax in 2 months. My total payment went from $600 to $1200 with this change which is not affordable. This is practically criminal and while they may resolve it in the future, the goal seems clearly to exploit the escrow fund or to try to default the loan which is disgraceful for a VA loan especially so... Just wow! There are other instances of this online and yet they are still buying loans from other companies which you can't really control.

Jeffrey Hawkins
May 13th, 2019 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS

I see why Caliber has such a poor rating. Extremely poor customer service. Call to get a question answered and it takes 2 additional call backs and at least 10 days for the answer to be "researched". Hidden fees pop up and the fees change in amount and no one can explain why. I told them I would never refi through them because of their business practices and since then they have bungles my account terribly. I hate to do it but looks like I have to put down a chunk of cash and refi with another company just to get away from them, because my rate is so good this is the only way to keep my payments comparable. Spring of 2020 I'll have a new mortgage company because I'm definitely dropping these guys. Save yourself headache... move your loan asap.

Marquita
April 23rd, 2019 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

Well my initial experience with Caliber was Great until I got the loan. Once I had the loan the customer service went down the drain. There is a serious lack of communication. I needed to complete a tax exemption paperwork. I received an email telling me the process (mail or fax documents). I chose to fax. After waiting a week to get an acknowledgement that the documents were received besides the fax transmission document, I decide to email them. I receive a secure message stating they can’t provide acknowledgment via secure email. I was informed to call a number. I call the number and they couldn’t help me. I was sent to several other individuals. Only to be told totally different information than I originally received. If you tell a customer to complete x, y, and z. Then expect the customer to complete just that. We don’t know if you don’t tell us to complete it.

Summer
March 29th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

My loan originator in Texas is extremely knowledgeable, has been in the business over 17 years, friendly, kind, went out of her way nights and weekends to get my loan closed two weeks early !!

Dave Johnson
March 29th, 2019 Middlesex, NJ

I am working with Envoy Mortgage, who in turn is selling my mortgage to caliber Home Loan, I was enrolled in a program that allowed me to put down 10% down, my credit is over 750 and my debt to income ratio was excellent! One week before the closing Caliber Home Loans comes back and says I have to put down an additional 5%!!! RUN from this mortgage company.

Elizabeth Schneider
March 19th, 2019 Mont Clare, PA DETAILS

Worst company ever dealt with. Mortgage loan officer incompetent and rude. HUD statement to close changed multiple times with no explanation. Tried to slip in a new agreement changing the agreement of sale without even speaking to buyer. Worst experience ever

Angelic Lawrence
February 21st, 2019 Plano, IL

My Loan was sold to Caliber so I had no choice. My only complaint is that they don't making your payment online easy. They charge you $3.50 which is fine but if you don't click a box on last page they charge you late fees then if you want to pay with a debt card they don't take mastercard and their customer service is HORRIBLE. I figured out the click box after three months of late fees on my own and the customer service person didn't know and could care less when I kept calling

Lacy elbaba
February 7th, 2019 DETAILS

Nothing good or bad really. Their email customer service takes days upon days to get a reply.

Kalli Binks
February 6th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

We have only been with Caliber for a few months now and have been very happy with their service. They are very friendly and always willing to work around payments.

Sammy O'Deal
January 23rd, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Forget any communication with Caliber Loans. You can try calling any time during a day, night, work days, off-days, all the same - no answer, no chance to talk to a live person. Each time I renew my insurance they send me an official letter saying that my insurance expired and they will purchase a new one for me. It doesn't matter that the insurance company sent them a copy of the renewed policy. I still need to send another copy. Even though they get multiple copies of the policy they still bought me a second insurance. This company is a joke and you would only use them if all others turned you down. I only have it bcs my real estate agent convinced me to use them. Big mistake. There are other issues besides what I mentioned above, but I'm already boiling hot.

Gerald Stark
January 17th, 2019 Griffith, IN DETAILS

Absolute worst mortgage company we have ever had in 30 years of owning homes. Nickel and dime to death. Stay away!!! * Pay online (EFT) = $3.50 fee - never had this before from any company * Pay over phone = $15 fee - never had this before from any company * Online payments not posted until next day, even if done at at 8 AM - other companies post same day, unless really late at night * Can't send payment confirmation via email - in 2019???!!! Understand all of this is a just another symptom of companies today looking to turn anything they can into a profit center and customer be darned - but there are still better companies out there.

L.W
January 2nd, 2019 Buffalo, NY DETAILS

They took over a key bank home loan and thank goodness key bank initiated and I went through them and FHA is attached this company would have probably hiked my rates up. They have insulted me by calling in the past about my house payment late in the pass which I disputed a late fee charge for which my payment wasn't late no one on their end checked or it sat wherever they let mail collect. To add insult to injury to keep that from happening again I now certify my mail which If you do the math$3.40 I pay out even more just to protect myself from being charge late fees so to insure someone at their company Caliber will get the payment by mail and process it instead of using a tactic to get more money out of me. I would love to get out from under this company loan but my option is to refinance or to sell my home which I'm on the fence dealing with this company and they had the nerve to ask me about refinancing through them NEVER lol what a joke. Thanks to key bank too for selling of my loan to this company. Won't do business or recommend them either thanks to my experience with this company.

Jane Byers
November 28th, 2018 Granville, TN DETAILS

Horrible Company!! 4 hard credit pulls within 1 week!! Had to open a complaint with the BBB to have them finally address their mistake. That was 2017. I thought it was finally taken care of. Today I see it wasn't! Terrible customer service and a rotten company.

Ola
November 27th, 2018 Severn, MD DETAILS

Their customer service is the worst ever, if I can give zero star I would. Caliber was supposed to pay for my water and sewage bill, which they agreed to pay and add it to my mortgage. They sent the payment (from my escrow) to the wrong company twice. The payment was refunded back to caliber loans, but caliber loans kept charging me the higher mortgage payment. I called them when I realized the water and sewage bill was not paid to adjust my mortgage to the original lower amount. They never refunded me the difference that I paid. I was put on hold for a long time, while the manager Don pretended he couldn't hear me on the phone and then finally hung up without resolving the issue. This has been going on for the past 10 months. This is the worst mortgage company, ran by incompetent, rude people. The whole company should be thrown away with their employees. Shame on you caliber home loans. I never applied with you, but my mortgage got sold to your useless company. Prospective customers should find another company.

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We have enjoyed Caliber Home loans. They gave us the best interest rate when compared to other companies. Our refinance process went quickly and smooth. I like the option of having my statements delivered online so I don’t get all that paper mail.

R
May 2nd, 2018 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

They are not always easy to work with and on occasion give you miss information.

Nadezhda Mezentseva
February 5th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

slow to make changes, horrible customer service, rude, only good when there is no problems

Kevin
January 22nd, 2018 DETAILS

TERRIBLE customer service - they've been straight up wrong about my mortgage details multiple times. If you ask to speak to their manager they will offer to put you in a queue and they will say you should get a call in 48 hours but you won't. I had to call for PMI cancellation information THREE TIMES before they finally mailed it to me, 2 months later. The good news is I'll only ever make this mistake once. DO NOT CHOOSE CALIBER.

Julius Blair
August 3rd, 2017

I was preapproved by them and 48hours before closing on the loan was told that my loan was not properly calculated and i was denied

phobson
January 23rd, 2017 Caldwell, NJ

This company is horrible. If you want a good reason not to use them, try contacting them on any number provided on their website. There is no way to reach anyone in this organization. Horrible Customer service. Use someone else.

Terence Higgin
November 11th, 2016

They have regularly violated my consumer rights & state laws with impunity, have not responded accurately, fairly, or timely to resolve the situation. The company refused payment of the full arrears of the mortgage. It was sent with advance notice, but the company did not reply to indicate they would refuse it. They claim they refused it on the grounds that it did not "cure the default on the loan", but they had not filed or sent any such notice of default, nor did they specify what the amount was or how they arrived at that figure. They have also refused my request for monthly statements on an ongoing basis. In follow-up attempts to communicate with them expediently via telephone, they have violated state laws requiring mutual consent for recording of calls, and have explicitly stated that they do not reserve their recordings only for "internal quality control purposes (yada,yada,yada)". Then, after an email complaint, they took their sweet time responding, then sent a letter riddled with spelling and grammatical errors that did not address the substance of the complaints. In the meantime, I attempted to make payment through their electronic system, but was denied the opportunity to make payment via that method, instead being directed to call them again on a recorded line (when I requested a call back on a non-recorded line, as is my right, they again refused and claimed that "all calls are recorded", even call-backs. Then, as I was reviewing my legal options, the company chose to, without following prescribed state laws, file a notice of default, backdating their claim that they had fulfilled the required procedures (FALSE) before taking this aggressive action and unleashing the vultures. They are guilty of unfair business practices and multiple violations of state laws. I am attempting to contact them again for a resolution before taking legal action.

Susan murphey
March 5th, 2016 Philadelphia, MS

Always charging me for home insurance when I already have my own n it takes me 6 months are longer to get it solved n then it goes against my credit score