Caliber Home Loans Logo

Caliber Home Loans

Is This Your Business?
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Caliber Home Loans began in 2013 when two separate entities, Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial, joined forces. As a top mortgage lender, the company offers a variety of home loan products and services with a particular focus on serving military members through VA loans.

search

Highlight: Caliber Home Loans has received a number of recognitions and awards

• Fannie Mae Servicer Total Achievement and Rewards Winner — 2018 recognized for assisting homeowners and demonstrating excellence in mortgage servicing (Fannie Mae STAR Program)
  • Ranled #5 in Home Builder Production — among Non-Builder Owned Lenders in 2018 per Metrostudy
  • $150 Billion in Servicing — services the majority of the loans it closes

Unfortunately, customer reviews indicate that Caliber's customer base is less than satisfied with the company's lending services. Users give Caliber Home Loans around 2/5 stars for its overall services - however this feedback is from a small sample of reviewers.

Read Caliber Home Loans reviews

The Good

• Several Loan Programs
  • Mobile App
  • Emphasis on Military Loans
  • Disaster Assistance
  • Real Estate Listings Search Tool
  • Educational Resources

Several Loan Programs

Caliber Home Loans offers several different loan types, including the following:

• Fixed-rate loans with terms ranging from 10-30 years
  • Construction loans
  • VA loans
  • FHA loans
  • USDA loans

Because there are so many options, borrowers have the ability to find a loan that works best for them and their individual situation.

Mobile App

Caliber's mortgage servicing mobile app includes the following features, compatible with both iPhone and Android devices:

• Set up banking information for mortgage payments
  • View loan and escrow financial details
  • Upload loan applications and associated documents
  • Schedule one-time or monthly payments
  • View loan payment history
  • View the status of an in-process loan
  • Find a loan officer or contact the company

Emphasis on Military Loans

Caliber Home Loans appears to place particular emphasis on military lending programs through its VA loan products, and its separate website to serve military members: military.caliberhomeloans.com.

Disaster Assistance

Caliber Home Loans offers mortgage payment assistance to homeowners in the event of certain extenuating circumstances. Houses that are in designated FEMA areas potentially qualify for the following assistance under the direction of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the USDA, VA, and FHA entities:

• Late fees will be suspended
  • Loan payments will not be reported as past due to credit bureaus
  • Possible eligibility for additional disaster loan options (depending on your loan program and situation)
  • Some foreclosure protections may be accessible

Real Estate Listings Search Tool

To help you find your future home, Caliber Home Loans provides a search tool to show real estate listings in your area, price range, size, and more. This is a helpful tool because you can find homes that you're qualified for right away, and you can get pre-approved for certain homes within just a few minutes.

Educational Resources

Because buying a home can be a somewhat confusing process, Caliber Home Loans provides a wealth of educational resources to help prospective homebuyers better understand what is happening. The company offers a resource library that includes information about loan qualification, mortgage rates, escrow costs, mortgage insurance, closing costs, and other topics helpful to the consumer.

The Bad

• No Rates Displayed Online
  • No Home Equity Loans or Lines of Credit
  • Poor Customer Reviews

No Rates Displayed Online

Caliber Home Loans does not provide several important pieces of information on its corporate website. For example, the company has not listed interest rates, closing costs (including origination fees), or minimum credit score on some loan types.

Though mortgage rates vary depending on loan types, loan amounts, and each customer's eligibility, many top companies provide calculators that give prospective borrowers an interest rate estimate based on a 30-year conventional loan scenario.

No Home Equity Loans or Lines of Credit

Caliber Home Loans doesn't offer home equity loans or lines of credit. If you are interested in these products you will need to look into other mortgage lender options.

Poor Customer Reviews

The majority of Caliber Home Loans ratings reward the company only 1 star. Many customers outline dissatisfactory experiences with the company, with most complaints centered around poor customer service - difficulty in connecting with Caliber representatives, endlessly being sent from one representative to another, not receiving answers to questions, etc.

It is important to note that Caliber Home Loans reviews are currently limited and so they may not paint the most accurate picture of the company.

The Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a well-known and trusted mortgage lender, providing a streamlined online loan process and a variety of loan products to choose from to meet your specific needs.

If you are a member of the military, a Caliber home loan could be a good choice for you because the company offers specific resources and tools to assist with VA loans. Caliber Home Loans has even participated in community outreach initiatives to help military members and their families feel more at home in their communities, including providing room makeovers.

However, Caliber Home Loans doesn't list rates or fees on its website making it difficult to know how much it will cost you to take out a home loan. You will be able to see these personalized factors upon pre-qualifying, but it can be helpful to see that information upfront. In addition, current Caliber Home Loans ratings are low and many reviews express poor experiences with customer service.

View Best Mortgage Companies

If you have financed your home through Caliber Home Loans, please tell us about your experience by leaving a review.

1.8

Jang Thao New York, NY

My wife and I are over 700 credit scores. We’ve bought a home before and are not new to mortgages. We’ve been with this company since December 2019. We were reached by mail and phone about a promotional re-financing program through caliber loans (Brian Johnson) in September 2020. Provided all documents loan adviser needed. Was told and assured closing would happen within 30 to 45 days. 4 and a half months later, the loan processor can’t even remember our file. Processor will continue to send blind DocuSign documents to sign and will not be available to answer any questions regarding documents. Constant call the processor or call the manager, which warrantees no call backs. We just received an email stating we have a new processor 01/26/2021. This morning at 01/27/2021, we received an email stating they have withdrawn our application. Wasted 5 months of my life with these people and even got a negative credit inquiry due to refinancing process. Still currently a Caliber Homes customer, but will look elsewhere. This company will not call you back and good luck getting an explanation on the numerous DocuSign packages that continue to come without explanation. Will never do business with this company again!

KdblU13 Moneta, VA

When my wife abandoned our home I being disabled and limited income tried to get loan modification but each move followed was added another to make finally impossible. They act as though they are your friends but actually they are very much not. My exwife bankrupted her part in the loan leaving me in dire straits. At no time has Caliber ever been available for communication or real help. I was just encouraged to send money I didn't have. Rushing me to get my application for modification to them even unfinished which of course guarantees denial. If not for covid 19 restrictions I would be on the street with no way to keep my possessions. I recommend you go elsewhere for a loan but unfortunately they can buy it from your mortgage company.

Victor Anchipolovsky Hialeah, FL

There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, I dare you ta call any of the telephone numbers listed in their many departments, you are referred to the website which is of no help. EVER YEAR we play the insurance game when they place their own insurance even though the property is covered under my insurance and this starts a week long faxing process with my insurance agent. I will NEVER do business with this company nor would I recommend it to anyone who wants to maintain their sanity.

Shawn St. Petersburg, FL

I have tried numerous times to no avail to set up automatic payment of my loan. Most of the time, the website will not allow me to do it because a current payment is due (this makes no sense, as it should still allow future payments to be set up). Last month, I finally got through their website and set up the autopay only to be told this month that no payment was taken out and they have no record of it. Customer service just told me there was nothing they could to help me, and once again the site does not allow me to go through the setup process even though I just made my monthly payment. Clearly, they don't want to get paid, perhaps so they can collect more fees.

Valerie Moreno Miami, FL

call for refinancing information . audrey a loan specialist offer me 3 routes and told me she would email me . 15 days after, multiple messages left to her , customer service and to her manager ; not even one call. today 16 days after , right after my complaint another specialist call me talking so fast that she even ran my credit one the first minute of the conversation and finally not understanding what i was asking she told me in 3 occasions she could not understand me went i get angry. i was not even angry but i should have been. but i wasn't , si instead i get insulted over a customer service with no shame at all. calliber loans have horrible customer service principals.

Mohamad awad ,

I can only speak about my honorable experience with Caliber home loans. they never communicate with me, never return my massages or emails, leaving me in the dark, people on your loan will change. same paperwork and info will be asked from you again and again. very lengthy process, and in my case 2 months after i started my refinance process they sold my loan to another company and once they approved me they want to charge me a fee to buy it back. sound very deceiving and they never disclosed this to me till last min. hopping I just sign. I backed away after 5 month of process.

muthana aiyash Hamtramck, MI

To Caliber home loans in Plymouth MI ; I praise your professionalism and outstanding customer service.Thanks to Ali S and his team

Rene Joubert West Palm Beach, FL

Don't waist your time and effort with this company, 3 months after applying for a refinance loan with Caliber and providing everything they asked for the underwriters are still asking for more, like having our employers re do the employment verification forms because they say is incomplete. We have given them paystubs and everything they asked for but every week there seems to be something else. In the last 18 years we have done several home loans and refinancing and has never taking more than 45 days. Today I told the loan processor that we are done! We waisted 3 months in this process for nothing. We should have gone with our previous mortgage company and would have probably closed 45 days ago. Stay away from these people.

Daniel Wondrusch Alamo, CA

Always friendlyn professional, excellent customer service! Have done one initial and 4 REDI's through them and have never had any issues. Completely seamless, simple and straight forward! 10/10

SBN San Diego, CA

The company managed to pay my home owner's insurance bill late, resulting in a late fee which I paid. When I called "customer service" to ask for a refund, l was told that I would have to put the request in writing (After several weeks, receipt of my letter was "acknowledged." No refund so far.). I asked that insurance payments be removed from my monthly bill, I was told that the company would not do that. The person in charge of the local office who did a good job handling the mortgage loan process is trying to help with both requests. She deserves a 4 or a 5. The company's "customer service" department deserves a 1 at most.

Marquita Alexandria, VA

Well my initial experience with Caliber was Great until I got the loan. Once I had the loan the customer service went down the drain. There is a serious lack of communication. I needed to complete a tax exemption paperwork. I received an email telling me the process (mail or fax documents). I chose to fax. After waiting a week to get an acknowledgement that the documents were received besides the fax transmission document, I decide to email them. I receive a secure message stating they can’t provide acknowledgment via secure email. I was informed to call a number. I call the number and they couldn’t help me. I was sent to several other individuals. Only to be told totally different information than I originally received. If you tell a customer to complete x, y, and z. Then expect the customer to complete just that. We don’t know if you don’t tell us to complete it.

Summer Dallas, TX

My loan originator in Texas is extremely knowledgeable, has been in the business over 17 years, friendly, kind, went out of her way nights and weekends to get my loan closed two weeks early !!

Whitney Hawkes Saratoga Springs, UT

We have enjoyed Caliber Home loans. They gave us the best interest rate when compared to other companies. Our refinance process went quickly and smooth. I like the option of having my statements delivered online so I don’t get all that paper mail.

David Pehle Denver, CO

After receiving a pre-aproval letter from (David R.) in the Colorado Springs office we put a offer on a house. Throught the month before the closing he (David) said everthing was going well after giving him all paperwork he asked for! Then 5 days before closing the underwriter said she didn't believe that my wife a nurse worked 40 hrs a week because her daughter is a nurse and only works 36 hrs. This is even after supplying them with a paystub and a employment letter from the hospital she works for then the day before the closing the underwriter denied the loan, I am a veteran and I hope they don't treat all veterans that way.

Basil City of Saint Peters, MO

This has been the worst, most stressful experience I have ever dealt with. Their representatives lied to me over and over, giving me misinformation when I was going through a hardship, causing me to have a late payment, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. They admitted to giving me misinformation, but still did nothing to correct the issue. Their customer service is extremely rude, and the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. At a later date, their representative text me about a VA streamline refinance, and we went through all of the steps, until they cancelled it on me the day before closing, because I had a late payment, which was caused by their misinformation. I have voicemails from them congratulating me for my approval, yet they didn’t finish the deal. Be careful with anything they say to you because it could be misinformation. Save yourself the headache and don’t deal with them. I have reported them to the VA and the state. I’m waiting for my credit to get fixed from having the late payment that they caused, so I can refinance with a different company who actually appreciates me as a Veteran and appreciates my business, so I never have to deal with Caliber Home Loans again.

Sheena San Antonio, TX

I lost my job and applied for a forbearance, after finally calling 3 times after 30 days they told me I had been approved for 6 months but my payments would be lowered and wouldn’t be pulled until my full months payment was in a separate account and each month I didn’t make a payment it would hit my credit score, I also had bi- weekly payments pulled and cancelled when I lost my job but they still pulled 2 more times then tried telling me different times that I hadn’t been up to date on my payment, I finally got the 5th guy speaking to figured it out and realized I’m now a month ahead in payments opposed to being behind, I swear if my credit report shows it being late I will be calling a million more times to complain! My loan was sold to caliber so I didn’t have a choice but let me tell you as soon as I can get it refinanced and away from Caliber I plan on it! They are the worse ever!

Bryan Kirklin, IN

Find another lender. These people are clueless. From day 1 it was just positive talk, that everything would be fine, taken care of and was in good condition. Then closing got delayed 3 times for Caliber purposes. By the time we purchased our home we were over it... Then we decided we’d sell, just to find out there is a lease on our property with a windmill company we didn’t know about. This prevented the buyers from getting a loan. Our loan specialist said she didn’t know of any lease. Then corporate tried to cover their tracks and claim they knew about it. There’s a bone to be picked with several parties, but when we needed Caliber to support proof of there being nothing in closing about a lease, they left us high and dry... Find another lender. Wish I would have.

Elizabeth Wesley Odessa, TX

I recently did a FHA STREAMLINE. Caliber Homes found out because they monitor mortgage hits on your credit. They called immediately after I started a FHA Refinance through another lender. They sent me a counter offer even, that would have cost me 12,000+ to get. The FHA Streamline didn't cost me a dime. I signed the title papers on the 25th of March 2019, and they were wired their monies on 3-29-1019, I have the wire number. They turned me in for 30 day late payment and have not updated the credit reports; so my credit score went down because of them. I will never use another fly=by=night mortgage company again. Would go with Quicken Loans. They are #1 in the nation. Grrrr. Never again. Rude, unethical, and unprofessional. Don't use them.

Nobert Fort Bragg, NC

Caliber acquired my VA loan from Veteran's United and jacked up the escrow payments from $150 to $750 with no explanation. The escrow only pays the tax and that would be more than my annual property tax in 2 months. My total payment went from $600 to $1200 with this change which is not affordable. This is practically criminal and while they may resolve it in the future, the goal seems clearly to exploit the escrow fund or to try to default the loan which is disgraceful for a VA loan especially so... Just wow! There are other instances of this online and yet they are still buying loans from other companies which you can't really control.

Jeffrey Hawkins Cedar Rapids, IA

I see why Caliber has such a poor rating. Extremely poor customer service. Call to get a question answered and it takes 2 additional call backs and at least 10 days for the answer to be "researched". Hidden fees pop up and the fees change in amount and no one can explain why. I told them I would never refi through them because of their business practices and since then they have bungles my account terribly. I hate to do it but looks like I have to put down a chunk of cash and refi with another company just to get away from them, because my rate is so good this is the only way to keep my payments comparable. Spring of 2020 I'll have a new mortgage company because I'm definitely dropping these guys. Save yourself headache... move your loan asap.

Angelic Lawrence Plano, IL

My Loan was sold to Caliber so I had no choice. My only complaint is that they don't making your payment online easy. They charge you $3.50 which is fine but if you don't click a box on last page they charge you late fees then if you want to pay with a debt card they don't take mastercard and their customer service is HORRIBLE. I figured out the click box after three months of late fees on my own and the customer service person didn't know and could care less when I kept calling

Sammy O'Deal Chicago, IL

Forget any communication with Caliber Loans. You can try calling any time during a day, night, work days, off-days, all the same - no answer, no chance to talk to a live person. Each time I renew my insurance they send me an official letter saying that my insurance expired and they will purchase a new one for me. It doesn't matter that the insurance company sent them a copy of the renewed policy. I still need to send another copy. Even though they get multiple copies of the policy they still bought me a second insurance. This company is a joke and you would only use them if all others turned you down. I only have it bcs my real estate agent convinced me to use them. Big mistake. There are other issues besides what I mentioned above, but I'm already boiling hot.

Gerald Stark Griffith, IN

Absolute worst mortgage company we have ever had in 30 years of owning homes. Nickel and dime to death. Stay away!!! * Pay online (EFT) = $3.50 fee - never had this before from any company * Pay over phone = $15 fee - never had this before from any company * Online payments not posted until next day, even if done at at 8 AM - other companies post same day, unless really late at night * Can't send payment confirmation via email - in 2019???!!! Understand all of this is a just another symptom of companies today looking to turn anything they can into a profit center and customer be darned - but there are still better companies out there.

L.W Buffalo, NY

They took over a key bank home loan and thank goodness key bank initiated and I went through them and FHA is attached this company would have probably hiked my rates up. They have insulted me by calling in the past about my house payment late in the pass which I disputed a late fee charge for which my payment wasn't late no one on their end checked or it sat wherever they let mail collect. To add insult to injury to keep that from happening again I now certify my mail which If you do the math$3.40 I pay out even more just to protect myself from being charge late fees so to insure someone at their company Caliber will get the payment by mail and process it instead of using a tactic to get more money out of me. I would love to get out from under this company loan but my option is to refinance or to sell my home which I'm on the fence dealing with this company and they had the nerve to ask me about refinancing through them NEVER lol what a joke. Thanks to key bank too for selling of my loan to this company. Won't do business or recommend them either thanks to my experience with this company.

Ola Severn, MD

Their customer service is the worst ever, if I can give zero star I would. Caliber was supposed to pay for my water and sewage bill, which they agreed to pay and add it to my mortgage. They sent the payment (from my escrow) to the wrong company twice. The payment was refunded back to caliber loans, but caliber loans kept charging me the higher mortgage payment. I called them when I realized the water and sewage bill was not paid to adjust my mortgage to the original lower amount. They never refunded me the difference that I paid. I was put on hold for a long time, while the manager Don pretended he couldn't hear me on the phone and then finally hung up without resolving the issue. This has been going on for the past 10 months. This is the worst mortgage company, ran by incompetent, rude people. The whole company should be thrown away with their employees. Shame on you caliber home loans. I never applied with you, but my mortgage got sold to your useless company. Prospective customers should find another company.

Terence Higgin

They have regularly violated my consumer rights & state laws with impunity, have not responded accurately, fairly, or timely to resolve the situation. The company refused payment of the full arrears of the mortgage. It was sent with advance notice, but the company did not reply to indicate they would refuse it. They claim they refused it on the grounds that it did not "cure the default on the loan", but they had not filed or sent any such notice of default, nor did they specify what the amount was or how they arrived at that figure. They have also refused my request for monthly statements on an ongoing basis. In follow-up attempts to communicate with them expediently via telephone, they have violated state laws requiring mutual consent for recording of calls, and have explicitly stated that they do not reserve their recordings only for "internal quality control purposes (yada,yada,yada)". Then, after an email complaint, they took their sweet time responding, then sent a letter riddled with spelling and grammatical errors that did not address the substance of the complaints. In the meantime, I attempted to make payment through their electronic system, but was denied the opportunity to make payment via that method, instead being directed to call them again on a recorded line (when I requested a call back on a non-recorded line, as is my right, they again refused and claimed that "all calls are recorded", even call-backs. Then, as I was reviewing my legal options, the company chose to, without following prescribed state laws, file a notice of default, backdating their claim that they had fulfilled the required procedures (FALSE) before taking this aggressive action and unleashing the vultures. They are guilty of unfair business practices and multiple violations of state laws. I am attempting to contact them again for a resolution before taking legal action.

Jenny Quach Northridge, CA

This is coming from an experienced home buyer. I highly do not recommend anyone go with this company. Horrible customer service they do not do anything to help you and you get transfer to different people left and right and they all give different information which confuses you even more and info on your mortgage account. And as well have hidden fees and that come out of nowhere. I would highly not recommend this company to anyone PLEASE BEAWARE of HIDDEN FEES. They really do not care about you only care about money.

Dave Johnson Middlesex, NJ

I am working with Envoy Mortgage, who in turn is selling my mortgage to caliber Home Loan, I was enrolled in a program that allowed me to put down 10% down, my credit is over 750 and my debt to income ratio was excellent! One week before the closing Caliber Home Loans comes back and says I have to put down an additional 5%!!! RUN from this mortgage company.

Kevin

TERRIBLE customer service - they've been straight up wrong about my mortgage details multiple times. If you ask to speak to their manager they will offer to put you in a queue and they will say you should get a call in 48 hours but you won't. I had to call for PMI cancellation information THREE TIMES before they finally mailed it to me, 2 months later. The good news is I'll only ever make this mistake once. DO NOT CHOOSE CALIBER.

Kalli Binks Payson, UT

We have only been with Caliber for a few months now and have been very happy with their service. They are very friendly and always willing to work around payments.

Reagan Portland, TX

The customer service after closing on my home has not been good. Their methods are extremly outdated and unhelpful. For example, the only way to provide documents after closing is to snail mail or fax.... really its 2020 right?

Elizabeth Schneider Mont Clare, PA

Worst company ever dealt with. Mortgage loan officer incompetent and rude. HUD statement to close changed multiple times with no explanation. Tried to slip in a new agreement changing the agreement of sale without even speaking to buyer. Worst experience ever

Jane Byers Granville, TN

Horrible Company!! 4 hard credit pulls within 1 week!! Had to open a complaint with the BBB to have them finally address their mistake. That was 2017. I thought it was finally taken care of. Today I see it wasn't! Terrible customer service and a rotten company.

phobson Caldwell, NJ

This company is horrible. If you want a good reason not to use them, try contacting them on any number provided on their website. There is no way to reach anyone in this organization. Horrible Customer service. Use someone else.

R Fairfield, CA

They are not always easy to work with and on occasion give you miss information.

Susan murphey Philadelphia, MS

Always charging me for home insurance when I already have my own n it takes me 6 months are longer to get it solved n then it goes against my credit score

Julius Blair

I was preapproved by them and 48hours before closing on the loan was told that my loan was not properly calculated and i was denied

Ellen Daly Buffalo, NY

They wrote a pre approval over the sale price and could not provide a mortgage commitment in 120 Days

Nadezhda Mezentseva Herndon, VA

slow to make changes, horrible customer service, rude, only good when there is no problems

Lacy elbaba

Nothing good or bad really. Their email customer service takes days upon days to get a reply.