Founded in 1872, BB&T provides a full range of banking services, mortgages, insurance, asset management, and securities brokerage.

The Good

• Competitive Interest Rates
  • Mobile App

Competitive Interest Rates

As of December 2016, for a borrower with excellent credit purchasing a $250,000 home with a $50,000 down payment and a 30-year fixed rate loan from BB&T, the interest rate comes out to be 4.13 percent, which is competitive among interest rates offered by other top home loan companies.

Mobile App

BB&T provides its customers with a mobile app that is compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows devices. Borrowers can use this app to view and manage their mortgage, as well as access resources and tools, using their smartphone or tablet.

The Bad

• Closing Costs
  • Minimum Credit Score

Closing Costs

At $4,800, BB&T's closing costs are higher than industry average.

Minimum Credit Score

BB&T requires its borrowers to have a credit score of at least 640, therefore excluding individuals with subpar credit from the chance to qualify for a loan.

The Bottom Line

BB&T offers competitive interest rates and a mobile app. However, the company charges relatively high closing costs and has set its minimum credit score requirement for borrowers at 640.

View Best Home Loans Companies

4.8

Devon Neil Rocky Mount, NC

I love the transparency of all mortgage options. Angela Lewis walked me through the entire process with patience and kept my dignity and privacy first. The only improvement that I can see is how to complete survey's other than being invited to complete one.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We have our home mortgage with BB&T and they have been great so far. Setting up an online account was a little complicated. I had to call customer service and they had to fix it, but they were really helpful. Also, to change my address I had to use an automated system for some reason. The customer service rep couldn't do it for me, which was a little frustrating. But as far as quality of service goes, they are great!

Mauri Brewer Lehi, UT

All our communication with them was professional and organized. Easy to submit payment.

Kevin Booker