Best Company Guarantee Better.com Logo

Better.com

7.3

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2021

Better.com (also known as Better Mortgage) entered the digital mortgage market in 2016. The company's mission is to completely redefine the homeownership process and make it simple, fast, and affordable — for everyone.

As far as mortgage options, Better.com offers the following:

• Conventional mortgages
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages
  • Jumbo loans
  • FHA loans
  • Refinancing (conventional and FHA)
  • First-time homebuyer programs

Unlike traditional mortgage lenders, consumers can expect to get a personalized quote and be pre-approved in just a few minutes.

Better.com is a direct lender.

The Good

• Application 100% Online
  • Simple, Straightforward Process
  • Loan Officers Don't Earn Commission
  • No Lender Fees
  • Additional Resources

Application 100% Online

Better.com's mortgage application is 100 percent online. This means you can apply, lock in a rate, and get your mortgage funded without ever leaving your home.

Simple, Straightforward Process

Consumers should appreciate Better's straightforward process. To get started, all you need to do is select whether you're buying a home or refinancing.

If you choose the 'buy' option, you'll need to fill out some general information — things like whether you're just looking or if you plan on making an offer.

If you choose the 'refinance' option, be prepared to fill out some information regarding your property.

Filling out the online application should only take a few minutes, and once that's done, Better.com presents you with the amount you can borrow or how much you potentially can save (with a refinance).

Overall, the process is straightforward. Just be sure to have your personal information and property information (if you're refinancing) on hand.

Loan Officers Don't Earn Commission

Better.com is unique because its loan officers don't earn a commission — this is not entirely unheard of in the industry but it's uncommon.

According to Better.com, mortgage loan officers generally receive about one percent of the total loan amount. If your mortgage loan officer gets you a $500,000 loan, they get $5,000 in commission.

Generally, the bigger the loan, the bigger the commission.

This creates a problem for consumers, as many loan officers are tempted to stick you with a considerable loan amount so they'll receive a larger commission for themselves.

To make sure there is no conflict of interest, Better Mortgage loan officers are never paid commission.

No Lender Fees

Better.com doesn't charge any lender fees. There are no origination, application, processing, or underwriting fees.

How is this possible?

Better explains that it makes money by selling loans to investors in the secondary market.

The company boasts it has developed relationships with over 25 of the largest mortgage investors in the world — this includes large banks, investment funds, and government-sponsored entities. This sets Better Mortgage apart because most other lenders only work with a few investors, limiting their pool of buyers.

Using its technology, Better matches borrowers with investors interested in buying their loans and paying a reasonable price for them. This then allows Better to offer low rates to its borrowers.

Additionally, Better's rates are lower because of the company's dedication to streamlining the mortgage process.

Additional Resources

Better's website is filled with helpful information and resources. You can easily view mortgage rates. There is a loan comparison calculator, and the company's blog is packed with valuable articles that are great for everyone — no matter where you are in the home-buying process.

The Bad

• No Home Equity Loans or HELOCs
  • No VA or USDA Loans
  • Not Available Nationwide

No Home Equity Loans or HELOCs

Currently, Better.com does not offer home equity line of credit (HELOCs) or second mortgages. HELOCs can be beneficial as they are secured loans backed by your home. With HELOCs, you are given access to a credit line (similar to a credit card) and only charged interest on the amount you use. HELOCs can be used to remodel your home, pay off student and other debt, or fund a vacation (there are no restrictions on how HELOCs can be used).

No VA or USDA Loans

Better.com does not offer VA or USDA loans at this time.

Not Available Nationwide

Better.com offers its services to more than 40 states but still is unavailable in some states.

Although Better.com notes it has plans to become available nationwide soon, it's not quite there.

That said, if you live in the following states, Better.com is currently not an option:

• Hawaii
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Nevada

The Bottom Line

Better.com is the perfect solution for those who prefer to house shop from the comfort of their home. Starting the process is as simple as clicking a button. Next thing you know, you're receiving a personalized quote in just a few minutes. Plus, you never have to worry about whether your loan officer has your best interest in mind. Better.com loan officers are never paid commission, so that is never an issue.

Just remember Better.com doesn't offer home equity loans and lines of credit, VA loans, or home improvement loans.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Melaine New York, NY

I was researching mortgage rates online and came across Better who was advertising very low rates. I read through the reviews and saw both good and one bad ones some of which made me skeptical to move forward with the process. I decided to give them a try and I must say, they did not disappoint. The communication from beginning to end was seamless. I loved how organized the website was and how efficient and easy it was to upload and provide the documents requested. I was able to apply and close on my mortgage in about 25 days (it was less than 30 days). I was very pleased with the entire process and the whole team that made it possible. I had a great experience using Better and was able to secure a very low interest rate.

Paul Metz Melbourne, FL

The process was extremely efficient. It was clear what documentation was needed. If I had questions, the response was always within a reasonable if not expedited timeframe. Which was quit unexpected. The closing costs were better than expected and process to close was convenient. The agent came to our house. Overall the experience went much better than expected. I have no hesitation recommending Better

Mayra

They would get back to me whenever I was confused or needed an answer to something or if the other party wasn't working well with methey would contact them and get the information that was needed. Our customer support was fantastic. Everything was done properly and after we started the process they did everything in a timely manner and they would work through it and I trusted that everything else would fall in place. If I need to use a mortgage company again I would a hundred percent go back to better.com because they made the whole process seamless from from beginning through the end for my closing date. They made it very very easy for me, I filled out the paperwork, I did my free loan estimate just to see what I qualified for and then when I decided to go with better.com I just need one phone call and they took care of the restaurant you send everything through email and through Docu-Sign and paperwork was done almost instantly.

Mark Johnson Osseo, MN

The website is very easy to use. The people who I worked with were very friendly, helpful, and made the experience stress-free. I was well-informed, and the process went very quickly. I couldn't have been more pleased.

Rajit

I am a very happy homeowner. Everything with better.cm has been great so far. I hope I can continue to do business with them. I keep recommending them to a lot of friends. The process is seamless. Everything was online which was great. I could get them the documents in my leisure time, on the weekends or at night. All the loan officers reach out on a regular basis to make sure things are moving at a good pace. They are quick to respond to questions and always answer via email.

Geraldine Tejeda Norwalk, CT

Went through Better.com to purchase our first home during the pandemic. We've heard some horror stories from friends and family about being delayed because of the bank, the lender, etc and we had the exact opposite experience. Everything went so smoothly for us! An absolute dream to work with especially when it was our first purchase so wasn't initially familiar with all the terms and lingo. Would highly recommend Better.com

Erik

Everything was on paper, everything was made very transparent to me so there were no surprises. If I ever had any questions I was able to get in contact with somebody relatively quickly for any questions I might have had about any documentation I needed for it. Every step of the process is kind of laid out pretty simply and whenever more stuff is required it was very easy to to go through the process. It was a very painless very straightforward process.

Michael

Everything was very, very easy. Any forms that I put on there when they needed information, they just let me know and if I needed to ask a question I can just call and got someone at any point in time and they were able to walk me through it. They were easy to reach if the person I was working with wasn't available they just got someone else who helped me through it or let me know when to call back. They were always reachable and always pretty easy to work with.

Amber Colorado Springs, CO

The individuals I worked with to secure the loan were phenomenal and went above and beyond to the loan done. The amount of tasks and paperwork involved, however, was sometimes redundant and confusing.

Madhu Yellamelli Dunellen, NJ

The whole process was seamless and the team was helpful through out the process. It was closed ahead of time. Extremely happy and highly recommend Better.com to anyone planning to refinance their mortgage.

Carlos Andres Giraldo Leander, TX

Speed to market, easy platform to upload your documentation and closings under 30 days. Quick answer to your questions, low rates and lowest out of pocket expense, by taking on risks other providers won't when laws change.

Jacob Stolk Salt Lake City, UT

Better.com processed my refi loan efficiently and effectively. For being a mostly digital company it was amazingly easy to get a love person on the phone when I had questions or concerns.

Charles

I like how everything was on my dashboard. I always knew what I had to do. I never had to wait to hear back from them. It was a really great experience. There were a couple of tasks assigned before they were possible to do. That was slightly annoying but it is my only feedback.

Forrest

Better did what they said they would do. The rate is very good. I am happy with the process. It was very smooth online. I didn't have any issues. I was pleased with the experience. I had a couple of calls with customer support and they were prompt and helpful. I was able to talk to someone when I needed help.

Ellen

Customer service was really, really good. Everyone was very responsive to phone calls and emails. They were really friendly. No one dropped the ball. Project management made it clear what was going to happen. I appreciate that I didn't need to go the bank to sign documents. It was all done online.

Bruce

I liked being online. I liked that nothing was hidden. They did as they advertised. It is simple. They don't play games. It is straightforward and cheaper because of the fees. I like that they are honest. Things were moved along.

Henri

I am very glad I chose Better.com because of their good pricing and the good user experience with the website. I did recommend them to a lot of friends who finished a long time before me but that might be a New York thing. It took a really long time to get done. They were pretty responsive. Being handed from person to another was not as good as being a single person the while time. Still keep up the good work. The American Express deal was very good. It is a great partnership.

Christopher

Everything worked out well. It is very intuitive. The people assigned to me kept an eye on the process and followed up. They answered the phone when I called. I was never on hold for long. It was painless. The process is great overall. I loved it being electronic though some people are not good with it.

Yaser

Better provided the best rates from all the different mortgage companies I looked into. The process was pretty straightforward. It is streamlined for each step of the process. There was a hiccup because I am on the east coast and my underwriter for the loan was on the west coast so I had to wait a few hours and they had technical issue. The rest of the process was really smooth. They allow you to reach out.

Robert C Butson Minneapolis, MN

Refinancing our mortgage through Better.com was easier and more pleasant than working with our original lender and realtor to buy the house in the first place. Great options, and the customer service team are very responsive.

Tary McMillan Onalaska, TX

All contact was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Buying a home is always very stressful, but Better make it less so. Anytime I had a question or concern I could contact them and they were available to answer my question/concern and lessen my stress.

The process and everything else is good, my experience is good with better.com the only problem I have is, it's very difficult to get in touch with anybody and typically cannot get a hold of them. Disconnected customer experience in terms of service. Apart from that the process the structure of the online models that's always good. But then yeah when you run into questions that's when you'll start experiencing multiple people responding and nobody knowing exactly what the answer would be.

Christiane

Seems really easy to me. I really can't complain, the website is very interactive. I was able to upload documents easily so it was it was really easy. I think everybody was real nice but the the time zone difference. I think they are based in California and I'm on the east coast so that made it a little bit harder when I needed something. I think it's a great service. In the beginning I was a little dubious about it just because these days everyone's been worried about things not actually being ligitimate.The general product is great.

I could not always get a hold of my person that I was working with same day, it was usually the call they were not available have to you know wait for them to call me back. It went pretty smoothly except a couple of times there was some confusion going back and forth on changing some stuff in the quote. And It was a little stressful because I was trying to do the refinance to cash out to take care of obligations that I had and it was on the time line and they did ask for a lot of documentation.

Overall its good, any new platform you want it to be more solid and that would make the costumer feel more confident in every action people take have a always have a way to figure out the out come and if anything goes wrong people can easily track them. I contacted the support four to eight times and they stopped to respond and help soon and simply solved my problem quickly so I'm satisfied with that.

Elizabeth

Better.com has a little better comparable rates. The benefits is that it is easy to use. My wife is pregnant with twins. We needed it right when we signed. It was pretty seamless. We didn't have to find babysitters. We didn't have to worry about getting a cold. It is not perfect. There are some small things that could be better but overall I would definitely recommend it. It would be helpful if there were some sort of portal or tool that showed our loan. The people behind it are great but there was a lot of back and forth.

Meagan

I am very glad I did it. It was really easy. I didn't have to get on the phone to get a quote. Customer service is much better than I had with other companies. It is easy to get follow ups. I didn't feel rushed or bombarded. I was given all the right information. The woman was friendly. I would definitely use them again the future.

Guy

It is the best rate and the easiest way to submit all the documents. They are very responsive. I wish there was an electronic signature option that didn't cost more. It doesn't make sense when it is cheaper for everyone involved.

Timothy

Everybody in the process was helpful and answered my questions quickly. The technology is very easy. It is easy for a first mortgage. They are transparent. I was confused about the rate but customer service was able to help me figure it out.

Latanya

I would check them out. The loan is easy to obtain. The process is seamless. Their guys kept me informed the whole way through and every time I had a question, I would reach ot and they answered it pretty easily. It is a good value.

Alyssa

Definitely glad I did it. The user interface was really easy to use. I like having a personalized assignment. I felt I could reach to somebody at any time. I knew anyone I talked to could answer my question. I feel they are better than traditional banks.

Derian

Each person I talked to was super nice and helpful. They made it super easy to do online. It is nice to be able to check and see your rates. They were super responsible and responsive and helpful. Anytime I called, I was able to talk to the person assigned to my file.

Ryan

It was great. I chose them because I liked the visual of my experiences. It was an easy process. Most of it was online. I could submit documents online and it was super easy. I always had some to contact me to see if I needed anything or had questions.

Candice

Overall it was super easy everything was done via text or my dashboard on the computer and it made it really easy to understand. Every question I posted was answered within that day and they always reached out to me whenever there was a new person brought on to the team so it was not overwhelming. They have a fantastic business model and they are real people, not robots that reach out. They have a business model of just trying to make the everyday person mortgage experience easier and better it doesn't have to be as complicated and expensive so they have this new fresh business model that I just really love.

Eleanor Robinson Sacramento, CA

Great website that kept me up to date through the entire process and was easy to submit paperwork through

Pam Morden Albuquerque, NM

Very clear information & process, easy to navigate website, useful tools like "trying on" different mortgage scenario, personal help available when needed

Charles Middle River, MD

With better.com I was able to refinance my house with a satisfying Interest rate, shortened the term to half, everything on-line, easy and helpful team!

Alex Dease Ashburn, VA

Super quick, great service, best rates. Anytime I had an issue or question, it was very easy to get a detailed explanation from their team in a short amount of time.

Robert Kudler Merrick, NY

They have higher rates than competitors. Loan officers are often very young. I closed one loan with them but then they couldn't refi another house I own because they said they can't include the rental income from the property which makes no sense. This was weeks after I initially applied and I had a high interest loan so I wasted thousands waiting on them to eventually tell me they can't help me.

Better.com has the best rates I could find. I am happy with them. The website is easy to use. All the steps are clear. Customer support is responsive. Overall we are happy with experience.

It is easy to use better.com online. Everything is pretty straightforward and easy. If I had any questions, they were answered quickly. They pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Amir

Everything is automated so the process is smooth and easy. It is easy to get a hold of customer service. They are very communicative and prompt. I will probably use them again.

Cory

I am going through a divorce, which is difficult to navigate, but better had no problems navigating. They have better interest rates that anything I could fine. There were a few hiccups but it was a great experience. It is easy because it is all online. It is a really efficient way of doing things.

I was kept informed on every step of the process. They go me through everything that needed to be done. Every questions I had was responded to quickly whether I sent an email or gave them a call.

The service is excellent. They pretty much handled everything for me. The only thing I had to do was get the signature for the closing documents. It was very easy. I really appreciate that.

Very streamlined, organized process. The communication was excellent. I hear it is a good place to work and when your employees are happy, the customers are happy. It is a good way to do business.

Joseph Chiang Redmond, WA

The overall process is smooth, and the support team is really responsive. Although having a small confusion in inspection, the team resolved it quickly and I ended up having what I was looking for in a refinance.

Lindsey Mark Indianapolis, IN

Better.com makes the entire refinance process quick, easy & transparent. The team gives you the right information and status updates to keep things moving and follows through when they make commitments.

Valentin Houston, TX

A very transperant process, and everyone that I dealt with throughout the process did a great job of explaining what everything was and or the rationale behind the step in the process.

Robert

It went so smoothly. I'm just not too sure if it'll be the absolute best price in terms of interest rates. They answer every phone call and every question in detail and then some questions before I ask.