Academy Mortgage Logo

Academy Mortgage

Academy Mortgage is a direct lender that processes, underwrites, closes, and funds all loans in-house. This means that Academy Mortgage will be more likely to offer competitive mortgage rates and speedy financing since it does not need to go through other mortgage lenders to obtain loans for its customers.

Academy Mortgage is licensed to originate loans in 49 states and Washington, D.C. It has over 260 branch offices across the country.

search

Highlight: Academy Mortgage awards and achievements

• Utah Best of State Mortgage Banking 3 Years in a Row
  • #1-Rated Lender on Zillow

Continue reading for a full review of this mortgage company, and Academy Mortgage Reviews for real customers.

The Good

• Direct Lender
  • Variety of Loan Types
  • Academy Mortgage Terms
  • Free Homebuyer Education
  • Mobile App with Tools
  • Complaint Portal

Direct Lender

As a direct mortgage lender, Academy Mortgage is able to provide more affordable loan services in a timely manner. Direct lending companies can reduce overhead costs and time because they do not rely on other mortgage companies to fund loans for their customers.

Academy Mortgage Corporation claims that its average closing times are significantly faster than the competition — this claim is supported by the fact that it is a direct lending company.

Variety of Loan Types

Academy Mortgage provides a wide variety of loan options in order to adequately serve each unique client. The company offers the following loan types and services:

• Fixed-Rate Mortgage (also known as a conventional loan)
  • Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM)
  • FHA Loan
  • VA Loan
  • USDA Rural Housing Loan (Academy can provide 102% financing for eligible borrowers)
  • FHA 203(k) Renovation Loan (includes costs to repair and remodel a property)
  • Jumbo Loan
  • State Housing Loan
  • Refinancing Loan
  • Builder Loan
  • GSFA Platinum Program (a loan solution and grant program for California residents)
  • Reverse mortgage

To help you choose which loan type is best for you, Academy Mortgage has a loan decision tool, allowing you to choose the circumstances that most closely describe you (eg. "I want a low down payment", "I want to live outside the city", or "I'm a first-time homebuyer") and then matching you with the loan products that are designed to meet those needs.

Most other mortgage lenders do not offer this many loan options, setting Academy Mortgage apart in the industry. The fact that the company offers  a wide range of mortgage loan products enables the Academy Mortgage team to offer loan origination even in the most unique or seemingly difficult circumstances. Combined with the fact that Academy Mortgage is a direct lender, there is no brokering and no middleman, providing a hassle-free and quick loan process.

Academy Mortgage Terms

Although Academy Mortgage rates are not explicitly disclosed, it does offer several sample scenarios that show mortgage rates that are typical for the industry.

In addition, Academy Mortgage has great terms for its standard mortgage loan. A borrower that chooses Academy Mortgage can expect the following:

• Minimum down payment — 3%
  • Average minimum credit score requirement — 620
  • Fixed-rate loan term lengths — 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years
  • Loan limits — $484,350 (in most high-cost areas, the limit is $726,525)

Free Homebuyer Education Tools

The Academy Mortgage website hosts dozens of articles, videos, infographics and tools to help potential homebuyers like you feel informed and confident about homeownership. The resources range from navigating closing costs to understanding mortgage lending jargon.

The website also offers various mortgage calculators that can compute how much your mortgage monthly payment could be, how much mortgage you qualify for, how much house you can afford, and how much you could save if you were to increase your mortgage payment. The figures shown by the calculators are meant to be hypothetical and are not necessarily illustrative of exact loan rates and terms that you will receive upon applying, but they will give you a good idea of where you stand and what you can expect when you do apply for an Academy Mortgage home loan.

These online resources are designed to help customers before, during, and after the home buying process.

Mobile App

Academy Mortgage offers a mobile app to help clients stay on top of their mortgages using a smartphone or tablet. App features include:

• Loan program comparisons
  • Possible savings or refinancing calculator
  • Home affordability calculator
  • Document scanner and uploader
  • Contact information for a loan officer and/or real estate agent
  • Notifications for interest rate changes

The Academy Mortgage mobile app is available for both Android and iOS devices.

Complaint Portal

While this may not necessarily sound like a good thing, Academy Mortgage provides an easy-access complaint portal on its website, allowing you to easily share any concerns or difficulties you may be experiencing. This is unique, as most other mortgage companies do not offer this feature, suggesting that Academy Mortgage takes its customer relations seriously and is committed to hearing complaints, fixing problems, and improving its services.

If you submit a complaint on the Academy Mortgage website, you should be notified within five days that your complaint has been received. Once your complaint has been investigated you will be contacted once again.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Rates
  • Academy Mortgage Reviews

Undisclosed Rates

Academy Mortgage does not disclose an interest rate range on its website, nor does it have an interest rate estimate calculator to provide a rough idea of potential rates a borrower could receive.

Potential borrowers need to contact a company representative directly to determine interest rates, origination fees, and other loan figures.

Academy Mortgage Reviews

Academy Mortgage reviews are limited, but are a mix of positive and negative reviews.

Positive reviews highlight reliable customer service, and a quick and easy process.

On the other hand, negative reviews remark on a difficult application process and bad experiences with customer service.

Due to this variance in reviews, in addition to limited numbers, it is hard to paint an accurate picture of Academy Mortgage based solely upon customer reviews.

The Bottom Line

Academy Mortgage stands out as an excellent choice for your home loan needs, as all mortgage procedures are done in-house, so borrowers can trust the speed and efficiency of Academy Mortgage's loan approval process.

In addition, Academy Mortgage offers a wide range of loan types from conventional loans and adjustable-rate mortgages to jumbo mortgages and renovation loans. Academy Mortgage even funds less-common mortgage types like FHA 203(k) Renovation Loans, USDA Rural Housing Loans, and loans through the GSFA Platinum Program. This wide array of loan offerings provides greater flexibility for borrowers to choose the best loan type for their specific needs.

However, undisclosed rates on Academy Mortgage's website make it difficult to know what your mortgage rate and monthly payment might be and how much you will be spending overall.

Customer reviews are currently limited, making it difficult to pinpoint what the customer experience is like with this mortgage company.

If you have financed a home loan with Academy Mortgage, please tell us about your experience by leaving a review.

View Best Mortgage Companies

2.4

Modified M Carrollton, KY

Lender seemed nice but definitely tried to take advantage of us being first time home owners looking for a loan. Unlucky for her, I had already done plenty of research on the loan type we wanted and gotten plenty of info from the USDA site itself. She tried to feed me full of false information about the loan, like not accepting manufactured homes, needing a 620 credit score etc when the USDA site itself contradicted her statements completely. She then tried to tell me, when i mentioned this, that I had to contact the USDA directly for that type of loan. I proceeded to screenshot the USDA sites info on how to get that specific loan, where it says that you have to look through a list of lenders that offer it, and it links that list. A list which Academy Mortgage is on. Clearly it shouldnt be because they dont actually offer that loan. Also, when she looked up our credit info, she FAR over estimated the student loan payments my partner has to make by over 500$, which jacked up the estimation of what we would need to bring in monthly to afford the home we wanted. An amount which was an absolutely ridiculous amount. They definitely are keen on trying to rip people off and force them to make much larger payments than they should... Luckily we arent going to be going with them as a lender. Im glad the USDA site recommends window shopping lenders. Now I know why.

Leo F Scott San Antonio, TX

Academy Mortgage is a very professional organization with great friendly employees. From day one of dealing with them, I got a great vibe. I was introduced to my loan officer John G, who was a marine veteran. There is nothing like having a fellow service member to connect to and share old military stories with. Later on, I found out that my loan processor would be Mrs. Laura S. She handled the middle process (underwriting) of closing our home loan. She was friendly and made sure all key factors were being met in completing the paperwork. Even though the process was stressful at times, she talked with my wife and ensured her that they would make getting our home a reality and they definitely made it happen. I really appreciated that about her! There were no over the top expectations! They were straight forward and to the point, just the way I like it! Mrs. F (Slater Realtors, LLC) was very instrumental in handling the entire process also. There were many days she met with us past work hours to sign documentation or what have you! We had our own personal team which made the process smooth and effortless on our part. I would recommend each of the individuals to all my friends and associates.

mary baker Port Saint Lucie, FL

I would give zero stars if possible. If you are doing a new construction loan DO NOT use this company. I don’t they have a clue on new construction. The appraiser used for this company unable to provide a proper document the first time. Second submission worked but with a very low appraisal. The processor does not appear to be able to do her job in a timely fashion. In doing a back ground check, used the wrong name for my husband. Repeated request for submission of same documents. Our closing has been Rescheduled 4 times so far. This is totally unprofessional and unacceptable. They seem not to care. If this process does not get completed in three business days I am going elsewhere. Can not remove the word amazing from this post. Mary B.

rufus b giddens and william stine Savannah, GA

Teri with Academy Mortgage is one of the most helpful professional individuals I have ever worked with in the mortgage industry. It was a pleasure to visit the Okatie South Carolina office. Thank you for all your help and we are looking forward to our completed process. Ben and Bill

kenneth murray Mccomb, MS

The people there are great to deal with. However sometimes the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. At the start of the process who have to deal with three of four people. Finally at the last you get to deal with only one person.

Crystal Alejo Mesa, AZ

After the initial credit check sending in the documents to get the process going. We were given a pre-qual form showing the loan amt, etc. After we told him we were going with a townhome, what the sell price is, HOA fee and taxes, he gave us our estimated borrowing loan amt, monthly payment with hoa/taxes/interest, etc. Frist, the borrowed loan amt was $20k less then originally told, same with down payment. After about a week & half to 2wks, we had no choice to stay with them because closing date was scheduled for the end of July month and it was too late to switch lenders or risk the seller backing out. Rami was ok but his assistant Valerie M, was as helpful as a box of rocks. She kept asking for docs, already sent/received, making her unorganized and unprofessional. Valerie made many mistakes and Rami didn't work much on our file, he was out of town or didn't want to work the weekends, making us having to struggle to get them to be on time with our closing date. The seller even sent a Cure notice-which basically means, if we don't close on time, they will cancel. Being that Rami and Valerie where not communicating with each other and dropping the ball, often if you will, Rami finally, 2 days before closing, told us we had a final approval. We were ecstatic! Then the DAY OF CLOSING, he calls us saying he made a mistake with the numbers & the underwriting dropped the ball and needs one more item. ERRRR!!! Valerie asked to email a document that the underwriter needed-DONE. Then she asked for another document-ugh DONE, Then she asked for another document! Mind you, this was for the one item that the underwriter needed. Finally, after headaches, stress & the assertiveness ON OUR PART, the loan got done, literally minutes before the Cure notice took effect. (Why the 1 star) Otherwise, this the absolute most most horrible experience in first time home buying ever! If you still choose this lender, do not use Rami or Valerie. We will most definitely not be using this lender for a refinance or other purchase in the further, what so ever!

Scott Orem, UT

We got our first mortgage through Academy and it was a great experience. It was at a time in life when we were pretty clueless about the whole house buying thing. The loan officer was more than helpful getting us the right product for our situation. I would use them again for sure.

Gabriel Rodriguez Douglasville, GA

Avoid Academy Mortgage Corporation at all costs. Anxiety, confusion, lack of communication, last minute emails right before processing deadlines and thousands of dollars lost due to pushing back closing dates due to Academy Mortgage missing deadlines. David K only sent automated emails to me. David K was the branch manager (whom is responsible for his reports as manager), the MLO was Erik M and the processor was Shawn D. They were extremely late processing my loan and I regret going with this lender. Being a finance manager, I was well aware of the home buying process and was proactive on gathering all the documents necessary ahead of time. Unfortunately their apologies after closing the deal, didn't fix the weeks of lost work, re-scheduling moving arrangements twice, and having to pay penalties for not moving in time. The cookies sent to me didn't pay for the thousands I lost either, but thanks. If you need proof of communication and emails, feel free to reach out to me.

Zack Forrestal Palm Beach, FL

I am a Realtor and currently working w/ Frankie C in their Doral Florida Office and his processor, Ana H in their Boca Raton Office. My buyer wanted to give Frankie the business as he supposedely helped her fix her credit scrore. It has been a complete fiasco from the start and I feel like I'm dealing with a used car dealership that's been in n out of business 20 times in the last 2 yrs. They lie and don't communicate with everyone in the transaction and now they want another two extension to get the loan done and they still don't even have a clean loan commitment. On top of that they're trying to charge my client an APR of over 7%.

Paula Smith Bristol, IN

My husband and I worked with Nick and Jenna at the Fort Wayne location, it was the worst experience ever!!! They would say.. we will get you this type of loan, came back a no... oh another type of loan... came back a no. They did this all along knowing exactly what our income was. Then there was a problem with some cash that we had and couldn’t prove where it came from, so they wanted us to find someone to “gift” us the money we needed for closing which we had all along but couldn’t use it. After three failed closing dates we decided to go to another lender who started working on it at 4:00 in the afternoon and by that SATURDAY we had the closing documents. What Nick and Jenna put us through with the cash that we had could have been solved very easily as we learned from the new lender. Nick and Jenna obviously do not know the process very well. Nick never returned promised phone calls and Jenna has no personality at all, if we asked her a question she had no response as if she fell asleep. DO NOT GO TO THEM, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Thomas Renner Humble, TX

Absolutely terrible! Please, if you can, shop around for interest rates before you ever use Academy Mortgage. The entire process was excruciating with them. They wanted more and more information, which we kept providing, jumping through all their hoops, and we never closed on the original closing date. We had to add a co-signer to our loan, because their rules are extremely stringent. Our loan officer never indicated that we would miss the closing date. We are homeowners who have owned a home for almost 2 decades, and we were probed in every orifice. Needless to say, they put us in a bind, seeing that we relocated and needed to move into this house quickly. We ended up waiting 2 more weeks to close which put us in a huge bind with timing and with the townhouse we were renting. The communication is terrible. They are super nice to talk to on the phone, however, they do not have your best interests in mind. They are out to maximize their profits by offering you a higher interest rate loan, even if your credit score is excellent. Please use a different lender. We got shafted, and we had no recourse because they had us in a bind. Terrible Experience overall.

Madrigal Chula Vista, CA

I decided to use Academy on my first home purchase and later found out it was a bad one. The lender made me take first time buyers course to allow for a 2nd loan to be deferred no pay until home sold or refinanced for first time buyers that would lend me the 20% down to avoid PMI which later was bogus and i paid $350 for the course that took my 3 hours to complete. Six months after closing escrow on the house awful Academy attempted to collect on that loan and threaten me with foreclosure, after months of phone after phone call from collectors and many letters of foreclosure looming i was able to correct 2nd loan issue. Then my primary with them was sold. Then 6 months after that mess it was sold again. BAD, BAD, SERVICE

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

In our experience buying a home with Academy, there are very few good things I can say about them. Our agent was non-responsive and would take weeks and multiple follow-ups to respond to us both on the phone and email. When they did respond they were kind, but not very informative and rarely had useful information to help us along our process. The quotes we were given were significantly different than the actual costs when we closed. And the information given to us throughout the process was often incorrect. Moreover, within 3 days of closing, they sold our mortgage to another company. Overall very bad experience, would NOT recommend.

Tara Salt Lake City, UT

We decided to use Mindy A from academy mortgage because she was the preferred lender of the condo we were buying and we would get free granite countertops. Big Mistake. Mindy was so hard to communicate with. She never answered her phone or responded to emails in a timely manner. We had been working with her for over 6 months, but it wasn't until 3 weeks before we would close that she realized we would need a co-signer. We got her the information she asked for but she wouldn't respond and let us know what else to give her for several days or even weeks. So we ended up not being able to close at the time we could have. She told us it would be at least a few more weeks before we could close! We decided to drop her and go with a different mortgage lender. We had more communication with our new lender the first day we talked to her than we did with Mindy the entire 6+ months. I'm not exaggerating even slightly. Mindy is horrible. Do not use her. I'm sure other lenders at academy mortgage are great, but DO NOT USE MINDY A.

Melissa Reinoso Herriman, UT

We have used them for all of our home loans. They are amazing to work with. They have great customer service and make sure that you are taken care of. They make life so much easier. So grateful fro them.

Hailey R Draper, UT

They communicated well throughout the process and it was a lot less expensive than I expected

Aketra Howells Meridian, MS

I was sent an email to submit my application. I completed it. Then I was asked to submit my financials and I completed that. Then I never heard another word from them. I didn’t even get a letter in the mail.

Brennan Orem, UT

Not a fan at all. The whole process seemed like a money grab and they weren't helpful in answering questions at all. What were standard fees to them weren't necessary at other lenders. I would tell absolutely anyone to use someone else if possible. I personally had a terrible experience.

Clarissa Norman, OK

My experience was quick, easy definately exceeded my expections