Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, Academy Mortgage is one of the largest independent mortgage lenders in the United States. Academy Bank is a direct lender and processes, underwrites, closes, and funds all loans in-house.

Academy is licensed to originate loans in 49 states and Washington, D.C. It has over 260 branch offices across the country.

#1 NBKC Bank chevron_right
4.9
#2 Quicken Loans chevron_right
3.8
#3 Wells Fargo chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Mortgage Focus
  • Loan Types
  • Mobile App

Mortgage Focus

Academy is unique in that it focuses 100% on retail mortgage banking, whereas other banks also perform other financial services like managing savings and checking accounts, credit cards, etc. The branch offices have all the tools and resources in-house to implement all processes associated with each mortgage, so the company is able to save clients precious time in the home-buying process by closing loans quickly.

Loan Types

Academy Mortgage provides a wide variety of loan options in order to adequately serve each unique client. The company offers the following loan types and services:

• Fixed-Rate Mortgages
  • Adjustable-Rate Mortgages
  • FHA Loans
  • VA Loans
  • USDA Rural Housing Loans (Academy can provide 102% financing for eligible borrowers)
  • FHA 203(k) Renovation Loans (includes costs to repair and remodel a property)
  • Jumbo Loans
  • State housing loans
  • Refinancing loans
  • Builder loans
  • GSFA Platinum Program (a loan solution and grant program for California residents)

Mobile App

Academy Mortgage offers a mobile app to help clients stay on top of their mortgages using a smartphone or tablet. App features include:

• Compare different loan programs
  • Calculate possible savings or cost of refinancing
  • Home affordability calculator
  • Document scanner and uploader
  • Contact information for loan officer and real estate agent
  • Notifications for change in interest rates

The Bad

Undisclosed Rates

Academy Mortgage does not have an interest rate estimate calculator so we are unable to input our standard mortgage scenario to compare its rates with that of other lenders. Potential borrowers need to contact a company representative directly to determine interest rates, origination fees, and other loan figures.

The Bottom Line

Academy Mortgage stands out as an excellent choice for home loans because of its mortgage specialty: 100% of what the company does is home and commercial building loans. Plus, all procedures associated with the mortgage are done in-house, so borrowers can trust the speed and efficiency of Academy’s processes.

In addition to the typical conventional loans and adjustable-rate mortgages, Academy Mortgage funds less-common mortgage types like FHA 203(k) Renovation Loans, USDA Rural Housing Loans, and loans through the GSFA Platinum Program.

The only element the company lacks is an interest-rate estimate tool to give prospective clients a general idea of the interest rates for which they qualify.

View Best Home Loans Companies

2.5

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We got our first mortgage through Academy and it was a great experience. It was at a time in life when we were pretty clueless about the whole house buying thing. The loan officer was more than helpful getting us the right product for our situation. I would use them again for sure.

rufus b giddens and william stine
April 25th, 2019 Savannah, GA

Teri with Academy Mortgage is one of the most helpful professional individuals I have ever worked with in the mortgage industry. It was a pleasure to visit the Okatie South Carolina office. Thank you for all your help and we are looking forward to our completed process. Ben and Bill

Gabriel Rodriguez
February 15th, 2019 Douglasville, GA DETAILS

Avoid Academy Mortgage Corporation at all costs. Anxiety, confusion, lack of communication, last minute emails right before processing deadlines and thousands of dollars lost due to pushing back closing dates due to Academy Mortgage missing deadlines. David K only sent automated emails to me. David K was the branch manager (whom is responsible for his reports as manager), the MLO was Erik M and the processor was Shawn D. They were extremely late processing my loan and I regret going with this lender. Being a finance manager, I was well aware of the home buying process and was proactive on gathering all the documents necessary ahead of time. Unfortunately their apologies after closing the deal, didn't fix the weeks of lost work, re-scheduling moving arrangements twice, and having to pay penalties for not moving in time. The cookies sent to me didn't pay for the thousands I lost either, but thanks. If you need proof of communication and emails, feel free to reach out to me.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Not a fan at all. The whole process seemed like a money grab and they weren't helpful in answering questions at all. What were standard fees to them weren't necessary at other lenders. I would tell absolutely anyone to use someone else if possible. I personally had a terrible experience.

Zack Forrestal
November 16th, 2018 Palm Beach, FL

I am a Realtor and currently working w/ Frankie C in their Doral Florida Office and his processor, Ana Huard in their Boca Raton Office. My buyer wanted to give Frankie the business as he supposedely helped her fix her credit scrore. It has been a complete fiasco from the start and I feel like I'm dealing with a used car dealership that's been in n out of business 20 times in the last 2 yrs. They lie and don't communicate with everyone in the transaction and now they want another two extension to get the loan done and they still don't even have a clean loan commitment. On top of that they're trying to charge my client an APR of over 7%.

Aketra Howells
October 3rd, 2018 Meridian, MS

I was sent an email to submit my application. I completed it. Then I was asked to submit my financials and I completed that. Then I never heard another word from them. I didn’t even get a letter in the mail.

Melissa Reinoso
August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

We have used them for all of our home loans. They are amazing to work with. They have great customer service and make sure that you are taken care of. They make life so much easier. So grateful fro them.

Paula Smith
August 17th, 2018 Bristol, IN

My husband and I worked with Nick and Jenna at the Fort Wayne location, it was the worst experience ever!!! They would say.. we will get you this type of loan, came back a no... oh another type of loan... came back a no. They did this all along knowing exactly what our income was. Then there was a problem with some cash that we had and couldn’t prove where it came from, so they wanted us to find someone to “gift” us the money we needed for closing which we had all along but couldn’t use it. After three failed closing dates we decided to go to another lender who started working on it at 4:00 in the afternoon and by that SATURDAY we had the closing documents. What Nick and Jenna put us through with the cash that we had could have been solved very easily as we learned from the new lender. Nick and Jenna obviously do not know the process very well. Nick never returned promised phone calls and Jenna has no personality at all, if we asked her a question she had no response as if she fell asleep. DO NOT GO TO THEM, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Thomas Renner
August 10th, 2018 Humble, TX DETAILS

Absolutely terrible! Please, if you can, shop around for interest rates before you ever use Academy Mortgage. The entire process was excruciating with them. They wanted more and more information, which we kept providing, jumping through all their hoops, and we never closed on the original closing date. We had to add a co-signer to our loan, because their rules are extremely stringent. Our loan officer never indicated that we would miss the closing date. We are homeowners who have owned a home for almost 2 decades, and we were probed in every orifice. Needless to say, they put us in a bind, seeing that we relocated and needed to move into this house quickly. We ended up waiting 2 more weeks to close which put us in a huge bind with timing and with the townhouse we were renting. The communication is terrible. They are super nice to talk to on the phone, however, they do not have your best interests in mind. They are out to maximize their profits by offering you a higher interest rate loan, even if your credit score is excellent. Please use a different lender. We got shafted, and we had no recourse because they had us in a bind. Terrible Experience overall.

Clarissa
July 6th, 2018 Norman, OK DETAILS

My experience was quick, easy definately exceeded my expections

Madrigal
May 10th, 2018 Chula Vista, CA DETAILS

I decided to use Academy on my first home purchase and later found out it was a bad one. The lender made me take first time buyers course to allow for a 2nd loan to be deferred no pay until home sold or refinanced for first time buyers that would lend me the 20% down to avoid PMI which later was bogus and i paid $350 for the course that took my 3 hours to complete. Six months after closing escrow on the house awful Academy attempted to collect on that loan and threaten me with foreclosure, after months of phone after phone call from collectors and many letters of foreclosure looming i was able to correct 2nd loan issue. Then my primary with them was sold. Then 6 months after that mess it was sold again. BAD, BAD, SERVICE

Cassidy Gundersen
December 5th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

In our experience buying a home with Academy, there are very few good things I can say about them. Our agent was non-responsive and would take weeks and multiple follow-ups to respond to us both on the phone and email. When they did respond they were kind, but not very informative and rarely had useful information to help us along our process. The quotes we were given were significantly different than the actual costs when we closed. And the information given to us throughout the process was often incorrect. Moreover, within 3 days of closing, they sold our mortgage to another company. Overall very bad experience, would NOT recommend.

kenneth murray
June 23rd, 2017 Mccomb, MS

The people there are great to deal with. However sometimes the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. At the start of the process who have to deal with three of four people. Finally at the last you get to deal with only one person.

Tara
April 4th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We decided to use Mindy A from academy mortgage because she was the preferred lender of the condo we were buying and we would get free granite countertops. Big Mistake. Mindy was so hard to communicate with. She never answered her phone or responded to emails in a timely manner. We had been working with her for over 6 months, but it wasn't until 3 weeks before we would close that she realized we would need a co-signer. We got her the information she asked for but she wouldn't respond and let us know what else to give her for several days or even weeks. So we ended up not being able to close at the time we could have. She told us it would be at least a few more weeks before we could close! We decided to drop her and go with a different mortgage lender. We had more communication with our new lender the first day we talked to her than we did with Mindy the entire 6+ months. I'm not exaggerating even slightly. Mindy is horrible. Do not use her. I'm sure other lenders at academy mortgage are great, but DO NOT USE MINDY A.

Leo F Scott
September 7th, 2016 San Antonio, TX

Academy Mortgage is a very professional organization with great friendly employees. From day one of dealing with them, I got a great vibe. I was introduced to my loan officer John Garbo, who was a marine veteran. There is nothing like having a fellow service member to connect to and share old military stories with. Later on, I found out that my loan processor would be Mrs. Laura S. She handled the middle process (underwriting) of closing our home loan. She was friendly and made sure all key factors were being met in completing the paperwork. Even though the process was stressful at times, she talked with my wife and ensured her that they would make getting our home a reality and they definitely made it happen. I really appreciated that about her! There were no over the top expectations! They were straight forward and to the point, just the way I like it! Mrs. Faye (Slater Realtors, LLC) was very instrumental in handling the entire process also. There were many days she met with us past work hours to sign documentation or what have you! We had our own personal team which made the process smooth and effortless on our part. I would recommend each of the individuals to all my friends and associates.