BlueStar SeniorTech

7.9

BlueStar SeniorTech was founded in 2013 and is headquartered near Washington, DC. The company offers high-quality products and services backed by excellent customer service. The company's medical alerts keep customers safe in every state, supported by its U.S.-based 24/7 professionally staffed monitoring centers. BlueStar SeniorTech doesn't require a signed contract, making it easy to discontinue service when circumstances no longer require the need for a medical alert.

BlueStar SeniorTech is owned and run by veterans and gives 10 percent of its profits to veteran-related causes and charities. The company specifically offers assistance and aid to charities that serve those helping homeless veterans. Veteran also receives 10 percent off of BlueStar SeniorTech services and products.

The company offers in-home and on-the-go medical alert options, as well as additional health services and products, often partnering with other companies to do so. For example, BlueStar SeniorTech partners with Life 365 Kits to offer blood pressure management equipment. This is just one of many partnerships the company participates in to give customers a wider variety of services.

The Good

• 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee and Free Shipping
  • Additional Health Solutions
  • CSAA Certified Monitoring Centers and EMT Operators
  • Fashionable Medical Alert Watches
  • Fall Detection Available
  • Concierge Button
  • Variety of Payment Plans
  • Veteran Discount
  • Positive Reviews

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee and Free Shipping

BlueStar SeniorTech has a money-back guarantee for 30 days and offers free shipping on all products. If customers are unhappy with their equipment or service, they simply return the working equipment and contact the company for a refund of past service fees. Although this is standard within the medical alert industry, it's definitely a positive that BlueStar SeniorTech has similar offerings.

Additional Health Solutions

In addition to medical alert services, BlueStar SeniorTech has a full suite of health solutions and products. Here are just a few of the company's many offerings:

• Automated Medication Reminders — BlueStar SeniorTech has operators that can send you daily medicine reminders and will notify your selected list of family members if you don't respond to the reminders. This is a great additional precaution for customers and their loved ones.
  • Hearing Aids — BlueStar SeniorTech has its own hearing aids with volume control and three adjustable settings on each. There are three hearing aids available. The two more advanced options are water resistant.
  • AudioCardio™ — This is sound therapy BlueStar SeniorTech offers that's meant to strengthen your hearing. It includes hearing assessments and tracks your progress. You can also listen to music or audiobooks while you participate in the AudioCardio therapy.
  • Voice-Activated lockbox — This is a lockbox you can purchase from BlueStar SeniorTech. You can place valuables in the lockbox and it will only open to your voice. It works with Amazon Alexa voice ID.
  • Closed-Captioned Phone — This is a unique landline phone that includes a screen display that shows the words the caller on the other end is saying in real-time. If you have difficulty talking on the phone, maybe even with the help of hearing aids, this ensures you can still talk to your loved ones without difficulty.

CSAA Certified Monitoring Centers and EMT Operators

All of BlueStar SeniorTech Center employees are certified members of the Central Station Alarm Association and have received extensive training. All operators are also EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians). It's comforting that the company takes its certifications seriously to ensure it can provide the most effective and efficient service to its customers. It's not a requirement for medical alert companies to have certified operators, so this is an extra step that BlueStar SeniorTech thought was worth investing in for its customers.

Additionally, BlueStar SeniorTech is a certified small business employer of veterans, with a long-term vision of employing a network of at-home wounded warriors as virtual agents.

Fashionable Medical Alert Watches

A unique offering you don't see with most medical alert companies is a traditional watch that also functions as a medical alert device. Medical alert providers often have smartwatch medical alerts but not classic-looking watches like BlueStar SeniorTech offers. It looks like a sleek watch you would buy at the store, so it's a great option for customers wanting their medical alert device to be stylish and discreet.

Fall Detection Available

BlueStar SeniorTech offers automatic fall detection as an additional add-on to its medical alert plans. It's $5 extra a month, which is half the price most competitors charge for fall detection. However, the fall alert pendant can only be added to the mobile medical alert plans. The in-home system isn't eligible for fall detection.

Concierge Button

In addition to the regular emergency button that will contact BlueStar SeniorTech's monitoring center, there is also a separate concierge button located on the medical alert system that will contact any number of your choice. You can program it to notify your caretaker, a family member, a neighbor, etc. This is an additional feature most medical alert companies don't typically offer.

Variety of Payment Plans

BlueStar SeniorTech allows you to pay monthly, quarterly, or annually. This way you can customize the payment to your needs. If you pay annually, you'll save around $70 when compared to paying monthly; If you pay quarterly, you'll save about $35.

Veteran Discount

Being owned and operated by veterans, BlueStar SeniorTech is passionate about giving back and offers a 10% discount to veterans.

Positive Reviews

BlueStar SeniorTech reviews are mostly positive, noting the company and its customer service as being prompt and helpful. Looking through BlueStar SeniorTech reviews, the majority of customers enjoy the company's products and services.

The Bad

• Limited Range from Base Station
  • Medical Records
  • Bulky Medical Alert Pendants
  • No Built-In Battery in Wall-Mounted Button
  • Limited Battery Life

Limited Range from Base Station

While BlueStar SeniorTech offers a number of effective and easy-to-use medical alert devices, the company does have some drawbacks. For example, the maximum range of its base unit for the Sentry in-home medical alert package has a range of 600 feet. While this is fairly standard for the industry, top-rated companies feature an extended range upwards of 1,200 feet for the same price.

In addition, BlueStar SeniorTech doesn't have this information readily available on its website. The range of a medical alert system tells customers how much flexibility they have in their home while still being protected. For example, 600 feet is going to be much different than 1,500 feet.

If you're looking for protection all around your home and maybe even into the yard or garage, the available range from the base station is extremely important. It's disappointing the company doesn't disclose this information on its website and make it easier for customers who are looking to quickly compare medical alert offerings.

Medical Records

BlueStar SeniorTech provides additional protection to its customers by alerting emergency contacts or family members in the event of a fall or other accident; however, the company does not currently disclose whether it keeps its members' medical records on file, which could be particularly useful for emergency responders who need to make a house call.

Bulky Medical Alert Pendants

BlueStar SeniorTech's wearable medical alert devices are quite large and bulky. Some medical alert companies address that issue by making miniature medical alert devices that are more functional and easier to conceal. BlueStar SeniorTech's devices are bulky enough that they'd be difficult to hide, even if wore as a necklace and tucked underneath a shirt.

However, the company does offer a medical alert watch that looks like a regular watch but has medical alert capabilities. It's convenient this is an option if you want a more discreet option that looks fashionable to wear, but it would still be helpful for the customer if the company had other options like this in necklace form for the customers who don't want to wear a watch.

The majority of BlueStar SeniorTech reviews are positive, but the limited concerns there are mention the equipment being a bit big and difficult to wear.

No Built-In Battery in Wall-Mounted Button

BlueStar SeniorTech has a wall-mounted emergency button included in its in-home medical alert package. Unfortunately, the alert button doesn't have a built-in battery. Instead, it has a compartment for four AA batteries. It's disappointing the equipment isn't more high-tech with a more convenient battery that will last longer, as most other medical alert companies make this a priority.

Limited Battery Life

Leading medical alert companies have mobile medical alert buttons that have a battery life of up to five days. BlueStar SeniorTech's battery life for it's mobile buttons are only good for 40–48 hours. This means you'll need to charge your device at least every other day, whereas other medical alert companies only require you to charge your pendant once a week or so.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

BlueStar SeniorTech has competitive pricing and innovative equipment, such as its medical alert watch. Despite its focus on serving the veteran community, BlueStar SeniorTech can be a viable option for non-military personnel as well.

In regards to BlueStar SeniorTech's general offerings, it is a decent medical alert provider. What sets it above its competition is its traditional-looking watch that functions as a medical alert device and its additional health services and products available for purchase through its website.

BlueStar SeniorTech isn't the most technologically advanced company and definitely has some shortcomings. The company has a limited range on its in-home medical alert system, as well the other cons, such as limited battery life for the mobile alert pendants. If you want a longer battery life or a wider range from your medical alert base station, we recommend looking into other top-rated medical alert companies that have more competitive offerings.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

Dorothy E DeCoste

Always friendly and helpful and polite!!

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you, Dorothy! Enjoy the holiday season!

Emma Howard

Response time good and easy to hear. Device easy to use. Easy to test the device with the monitor

Thank you, Emma!

Anda Rosen

the device falls down often and gets lost on the floor or in bed because of the loose plastic lock on the string

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback, Anda! Someone from our customer service team will reach out to you and get this issue resolved.

Gail Gear

Competent and friendly agents plus excellent medical device

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you very much, Gail!

Dan Heffernan

Great company to deal with. Very helpful when we had issues with misplacing a device. Thanks

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the kind feedback, Dan!

Gloria Brown

I don't wear it its to heavy, I don't use it, I don't charge it needs charged to much

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback and info, Gloria! I understand our customer service team is working with you to make things right. If you need to reach them please call (800) 300-1724.

Grumpy

Faulty batteries faulty recharging holder, 2 batteries per usage, but 3 batteries per charger capacity

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Dear Gr, please contact our customer service department at (800) 300-1724 ext 2 to resolve the issues described. Thank you for speaking up! - David

Jones

It takes too long for help to arrive ........

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

If you get a chance please contact our customer service team at (800) 300-1724 so they can determine if the issue is the device or the distance from the first responders. Thank you.

Vicky

My experience with BlueStar Senior Tech has been good. The time I used it was good.

Dolores

Customer service has always been prompt and clear. When I need it, it is very helpful. The instrument seems to be very good. It does the job so I have no complaints. I test it every night when I recharge it. It always tells me when it is connected when it charging which is important. If anything happens, I have confidence that I will have help.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the nice feedback, Dolores!

Debby

It's just what I needed. When I tested it, they were very pleasant.

Dorothie

Obviously it is a good piece of equipment. It functions very well other than the couple of times the battery ran low and they weren’t able to get me on the phone so I got a call from my best friend telling me they called. The back up system works fine. I like the size of it though it can get in the way because I wear it around my neck, that is my only criticism.

Beth

Go with blue star because it is a superior product. It is convenient. I can take it anywhere, it doesn’t matter where, and I can still access 911. I’ve used it many times because I have anaphylactic reactions and I have had no problems with it. I think it is a great company.

I love the device. It is very good. It gives me peace of mind. I am very active and I feel safer having it. They are always responsive to my needs.

Brenda

This is a good company. They always have answers when I call them and they take the time to tell me when I have not paid. I did like the old one better because I did not have to charge it every other night but I still like the new one. I pushed the button once and they took me the hospital.

Linda

It’s very helpful when I am on a trip that I can take it with me in case I need it. I like the GPS in it. I would like it more if it was a wrist button instead of a necklace because the necklace keeps popping open but I would still recommend it.

They’re just awesome. My husband fell in the kitchen and could not get up and they sent emergency equipment. It is the most awesome thing we’ve ever purchased.

Craig

Customer support is all really good people. I like them and I like the device very well. It is doing a great job.

Cara

I like the way the watch looks and I like that it is easy to use.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback, Cara!

Denise

Other than the time the chain broke in the shower, it has been good and I’ve been having food service.

Glenn

I’ve had it over twelve months now and I’ve never had any problems with it. If I have any issues, they’ve always been there to resolve it. I like pretty much everything about it except that I have to wear the fall protection inside my shirt.

Dolores

With the exception I having to charge it frequently, I like it. The people are always polite when I test it, which I do every month or two. They answer my calls within minutes. They always call my daughter first and then the next one to see if I am okay. It is something that makes you feel better when you are alone all the time. The price is a little bit high when you’re on a limited budget. There are cheaper companied but I feel secure and I would definitely recommend Blue Star.

Belinda

I would like it if it was possible to have a wrist alert instead of having it around my neck but other than that I really like my alert button. I like that I am able to push a button when I need somebody like medial people or the police. The people are very courteous and very understanding about what you need.

Leslie

Their alert device is easy to use and handy and it works.

The device is fine. It seems to work pretty good. It took a couple of times to get the test right but it has been fine ever since. I like that I feel safe when they leave the house.

Cindy Linser

Any time we needed assistance, Bluestar was there

Celia Carter-Smith

Answer my questions quickly, and was easy to understand.

Mary Davidson

its been working good it charging good & great monthly price

Yvonne

Personnel are nice to work with, knowledgable, responsive. Price is right, I checked companies,Blue Star best.

Douglas Bond

Whenever I need advice pertaining to my mom's fall protection pendant your representative are always Frendly and extremely knowledgeable. It's a pleasures to deal with people who truly care.

Gilbert J. Jones

The equipment hasn't given me any problems, and customer service is great. They always contact me when my equip needs charging.

Elizabeth Montstream

I’ve already recommended bluestar to several people. Everybody was helpful and knowledgeable. They are eager to help. It was easy to test. I was surprised when there was a tornado alert that came over my medical alert.

Eugene Ormsby

There are on the job at all hours had to you them at 2 am here in 30min

Ed Cate

Can reach any time,friendly,always there for help and affordable

Robert E. Perkins Jr.

Very disappointed. I am frustrated and leaning towards another thing. I thought it was all veteran operated but I am now beginning to wonder if it is not. I am not happy with the service I’ve received. I travel and when I test it out of town all they do is notify local people that ia m two or three hundred miles away.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Perkins. My boss, retired Admiral Rob Wray wants me to assure you that we are veteran-owned. That said, we want to deliver the service that one would expect from a veteran-owned business. We're sorry that hasn't been the case for you. We truly appreciate you speaking up! I will send a follow on message that is private. - David Coakley SVP

Eva Butler

The interactions I’ve had with them I’ve been happy with. I’ve tested the unit a number of times and the reaction has been good and quick. The technicians are always friendly and helpful. It needs to be charged consistently every two days.

Gail Hencken

Quick response. Courteous. Good newsletter and information resources.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback and 5-star review, Ms. Hencken!

Ken Pilecek

Good Client follow-up. Unfortunately, due to some cognitive challenges, the patient {Wife = Beth} doesn't use the device in any consistent manner. This is not good as she has fallen twice in the last year, once hurting hwer head and the other when I was away from home for an hour. We are seeing additional Specialists for the cognitive challenges. Wish us Luck.. Ken

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Hi Ken, would it be worth trying a watch with fall detection built-in? Email me at [email protected] and we can arrange a time to discuss.

Ruth Wilkinson, Daughter in law of Pat Wilkinson

They call right away when needed. My Mother in law says that they are very quick to respond even if it is set off on accident.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback and 5-star review, Ms. Wilkinson!

betty letsinger

i only had to use them once in 2 years. they got the help on he way

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback and 5-star review, Ms. Letsinger!

Emma SwinneyPrice

The neck band irritates my neck, i wish there was one for the wrist lika a bracelet

Mary Sears

Because it to big to wear around my neck and it to Easy to go off.my when off when I were not home and the fire department took my door down.

Carol Goyena, his wife

I receive a call whenever I accidentally drop my med-alert on the table, even though I'm fine. They follow-up all of the time.

carolyn Killebrew.

Thdey are quick to respond to my alerts. Saved my lifee when i was una le to hd.p myself. up and in ab,e

Jackie Stumpf

Sometimes my device picks up different telephone signals. It's like people are calling me through by alert system. They have nothing to do with my blue star

Mrs. Ruth Henderson

I think that their service staff needs more training, e.g.,although tech that answered did not have info I needed, she offered to get an 800 # to call. Then she hung up. I do not call that customer service.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback, Mrs. Henderson!

Violet mies

Whatever problem i have they solve it soon after in very friendly manner

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Thank you for the feedback and 5-star review, Ms. Mies!

Julianna

It's a great company. I appreciate that they call me and let me know to charge it. They are always there when I call them. They keep me on track. I wish it were a little smaller but it works good. Nobody can beat the price.

James

I don’t like that I have to charge it every day and they called me back about it. When it touches I ended up with a whole bunch of people at my front door. They have some improving to do.

Anita

Had to cancel the service because it was not working. They need to stop charging me for it.

Reply from BlueStar SeniorTech

Hi Anita - If you haven't already done so please call our customer service team at (800) 300-1724 ext 2 so they can get your subscription canceled. Thank you for speaking up!