Bay Alarm Medical Logo

Bay Alarm Medical

LAST UPDATED: September 30th, 2022

Founded in 1951, Bay Alarm Medical has over six decades of experience providing monitored security services to over 100,000 customers in the United States. Bay Alarm Medical is a subsidiary of a family-owned business. The company focuses on meeting the needs of a rapidly growing elderly population of people over age 75. Bay Alarm Medical alert systems are available in all 50 States.

The mobile GPS system is powered by AT&T network to offer 24/7 tracking and monitoring for those who prefer medical alert systems on the go. Mobile medical alert plans start as low as $19.95 per month and can create safer mobility for families, not just the elderly.

Keep reading our Bay Alarm Medical alert review to learn more about the pros and cons of choosing this provider or skip to the customer reviews.

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Services in 170 Languages
  • VOIP Compatibility
  • Simple to Install
  • Positive Bay Alarm Medical Reviews
  • 5-Year Battery Life
  • 30-Day Trial Period
  • Free Coverage for Spouses
  • In-Car Medical Alert Device
  • SOS Smartwatch
  • 1,000-Foot Range for In-Home System
  • Added Accessories Available

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Every Bay Alarm monitoring center is CSAA Five Diamond Certified, committed to strong quality standards, and agrees to random UL certified inspections. This ensures that every Bay Alarm subscriber receives the most professional monitoring services possible from each monitoring center and every medical emergency responder.

Services in 170 Languages

If you don't speak English and still need personal emergency alarm services, Bay Alarm has a unique feature: the medical alert service offers its product and services in 170 languages. The company has two emergency response call centers to provide service continuity in case one center has a power outage.

Typically companies have one call center, but with two call centers, there is a backup in case of power failure or weather issue that renders one call center inoperable, a dangerous scenario for those needing emergency assistance. The company also owns and operates from its California headquarters for Bay Alarm customer service purposes.

VOIP Compatibility

Bay Alarm Medical's VOIP compatibility is also noteworthy. Few companies offer this benefit; they only offer landline phone coverage. The Bay Alarm Medical system is very versatile, compatible with POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service, i.e. landlines), DSL Phone Service (Comcast, Time Warner, Cox), and VOIP solutions (AT&T, Verizon).

Bay Alarm Medical provides an extensive list on its website of Compatible Cable Service Providers. If customers use DSL, they will need to purchase a DSL filter at an additional cost, also available on the website.

Simple to Install

The Bay Alarm Medical's in-home medical alert device is designed to be easy to use and simple to install. Anyone can install their own service in only 5-10 minutes. Bay Alarm Medical offers complimentary Spouse Monitoring Services free of charge. Adding this family member will not raise the monthly bill, but there will be a charge to add an additional emergency panic button.

The landline system has a helpful preventative feature to protect users from falls that may occur when rushing to answer the phone. The system allows customers to answer the phone using the device-although you will need to follow up with Bay Alarm Medical to understand exactly how this works.

Bay Alarm Medical Reviews

Bay Alarm Medical complaints are limited with positive reviews highlighting an excellent monitoring center and emergency responders, quick response times, and a quality medical alert button as well as other equipment. Positive reviews demonstrate a satisfactory customer experience and can give consumers peace of mind that Bay Alarm Medical will effectively assist customers' health and well-being with quality service and equipment.

With the majority of Bay Alarm Medical reviews being positive, the company's average star rating is well above a four. Many customers note the company has an attentive staff that goes above and beyond to ensure customers are not only satisfied with the product, but that they are also safe and protected with their Bay Alarm Medical device.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Duey from Rancho Cucamonga, California

"This company works with you and the prices are fair. They contacted my mom several times when they were concerned about her phone not working. She loved that! She feels secure with the service and luckily has not had to push the button since our setup trial!"

5-Year Battery Life

Bay Alarm Medical's alert pendants have a 5-year battery life. This gives peace of mind to customers worried about the alert device running out of battery during an emergency. The pendants are also lightweight and 100 percent waterproof, so you can take them with you anywhere, even in the shower or other wet areas.

30-Day Trial Period

Bay Alarm Medical offers a 30-day trial period from the date your system arrives. This gives customers time to test out Bay Alarm Medical's services and equipment to ensure it is the right medical alert service for you.

Free Coverage for Spouse

Bay Alarm Medical offers free coverage for your spouse, regardless of what medical alert package you purchase. This means you won't have to pay an extra monitoring fee if you want your spouse to have medical alert services as well. However, you do have to pay for the extra medical alert device equipment. Bay Alarm Medical does not say whether or not you will need to pay a second activation fee.

In-Car Medical Alert Device

Unique from other medical alert providers, Bay Alarm Medical offers a medical alert device made specifically for the car. For $29.95 per month, you can have protection in your car at all times. The device includes automatic crash detection and response, 24/7 emergency response monitoring, and real-time vehicle monitoring and trip history.

It has additional convenience with a web dashboard and a mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. The in-car medical device is functional in any car and includes a built-in backup battery and location-based boundary alerts.

When Bay Alarm Medical did a crash test with its in-car medical alert device, data was sent to emergency services in 0.46 seconds and two-way voice was activated with the car's driver in 7 seconds. This is an impressive demonstration showing you can rely on the company's in-car device to transmit emergency signals and contact quickly.

SOS Smartwatch

Bay Medical Alert provides an SOS smartwatch for those who want a sleek device for everday use. The watch comes with a few key features including a steps tracker, an SOS emergency button, two-way communication, a network connection stregnth signal, mobile GPS tracking, 6–18 hours of battery life, and a simple touchscreen display. Battery life varies based on display brightness, connectivity, and cellular signal strength.

The SOS smartwatch connects to a 4G LTE network to provide location tracking and call reception. A smartphone is not required to set up or use this smartwatch.

1,000-Foot Range for In-Home System

Bay Alarm Medical's in-home system has a 1,000-foot range. This is impressive as many medical alert companies only offer ranges around 600-800 feet. A longer range means more protection and less worry about reaching the range limit even in a large home. The in-home system has a five-year battery life which is competitive within the industry.

Added Accessories Available

Bay Alarm Medical has a variety of accessories and equipment you can purchase a la carte. We'll list the options below:

Lockbox

Bay Alarm Medical sells lockboxes for $39.95. You can select a four-digit code for the lockbox, and the company will pre-program the lockbox so it is ready for use when it arrives at your home. Bay Alarm Medical's operators also store the code in their system, so you don't have to worry about losing the code. The lockbox is durable and is made to withstand year-round weather, and it can hold up to five sets of keys.

Extra Medical Alert Buttons

You can purchase extra medical alert buttons for $34.95 each. Each button includes a 1,000-foot range, lightweight and waterproof equipment, and a five-year battery life.

Bella Charms

Bella Charms are Bay Alarm Medical's personalized necklaces that clip to your Bay Alarm Medical device and cover the button with a fashionable design. There are four different charms to choose from. This is great for users who don't want to showcase the alert device and would prefer to disguise it as a nice necklace.

Extra Wall Buttons

You can purchase as many extra wall buttons as you'd like. Each wall button costs $3 extra per month. If you purchase a four pack, you save money and will pay $10 per month.

Protection Plan

This isn't an accessory or extra equipment, but Bay Alarm Medical offers a Protection Plan for $5 extra per month. This protects your medical alert equipment from power surges, voltage spikes, as well as water and flood damage. The plan includes a surge protector, one replacement of the medical alert base station or device per year, and 50 percent coverage to replace damaged accessories. Shipping fees are not included in the plan.

Vial of Life

Free with new subscriptions but $8.95 for additional kits, Bay Alarm Medical offers Vial of Life kits. These are kits that include all of your vital medical information so if there is an emergency, emergency responders will have immediate access to your medical information. The kit includes an emergency medical information kit, a plastic sleeve, and a magnetic strip. Bay Alarm Medical notes that you can purchase multiple kits so you can place them in different places around the home or in other locations.

The Bad

• Bay Alarm Medical Pricing and Fees
  • One-Time Fee for the Mobile and Smartwatch

Bay Alarm Medical Cost

While other industry competitors offer no-cost deliveries and free equipment, Bay Alarm Medical charges for delivery and its equipment add-ons. Bay Alarm prices include a monthly fee ranging from $19.95- $34.95. The emergency button also has only a five-year warranty, so if anything goes wrong after that five years, it can get pricey. The company promises a monthly rate guarantee for continuing customers.

Despite these downsides, the company doesn't require any long-term contracts. Note that the mobile GPS button has some limitations as well but does include two-way communication and fall detection. Bay Alarm Medical plan options are below:

In-Home Medical Alert — $19.95 per month

On the go Help Button — $29.95 per month + $99 upfront

• 4G LTE connectivity
  • IPX7 water resistant
  • Optional automatic fall detection
  • Medical button available in white or black
  • A two pack of wall buttons that are lightweight, waterproof, include a five-year battery life and double-sided tape
  • Caregiver tracking app (*Included in Preferred and Premium Protection Plans)

SOS Smartwatch - $29.95 per month + $179 upfront

• Two-way communication
  • Accurate location tracking
  • Free ground shipping

One-Time Fee for the Mobile and Smartwatch

Bay Alarm Medical overall is a bit more expensive than its competitors. The company charges a one-time fee for the mobile device ($99) and SOS Smartwatch ($179). Some other companies in the industry have lower fee options or do not charge this fee at all. Something to keep in mind with some other companies, is you do not own the device. Be sure to ask about this when deciding which company to do business with.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Bay Alarm Medical has been around for decades, offering valuable products and a medical alert service that will cover all bases for in-home medical and beyond. One thing we noticed is that you get whatever you pay for. Their products are priced separately and according to each specific feature. The monthly fee starts at $19.95 with a $49.95 activation fee.

With the exception of Bay Alarm Medical's VOIP compatibility, the medical alert system's extra features and benefits can be found at other companies for less cost, i.e. no activation fees or shipping fees. But keep in mind that the company provides award-winning quality and customer service with every medical alert system it sells. A Bay Alarm medical alert device is recommended for people for whom English is not their first language and need a system in their native language.

Finding the right medical alert company for you will give you and your loved ones peace of mind. Read Bay Alarm Medical reviews below to see what current and past customers have to say and to see if Bay Alarm Medical Alert service is right for you.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

4.1

Robin Williston, VT

My father had a Bay Alarm device with fall detection for a few months (late 2018-early 2019). The device itself worked well, however he couldn't wear their magnetic clasp necklace (which holds the device) because it interfered with his pacemaker. I know this to be true because I accompanied my father to his November 2018 cardiologist pacemaker checkup, where the cardiologist performed a magnet response test on the magnetic clasp and found it put my father's pacemaker into an asynchronous mode. The asynchrony wasn't a lot, but enough to notice and cause concern with the cardiologist. Advice from the cardiologist: Bay Alarm needs to provide a nonmagnetic clasp on their necklaces if the patient has a pacemaker. As a result, we removed the Bay Alarm device from the magnetic clasped necklace and I made my father a slightly longer necklace which tied in the back, from cording purchased at the fabric store.

Shirley White Bozeman, MT

Fortunately I have not needed to use my call button for a medical issue, however I did set off the alarm by mistake while dusting the unit. I was surprised when the EMT's, police, ambulance, fire truck and my children arrived before I figured out how to dismiss the call. I am living alone and feel very secure having Bay Alarm available should I need the service.

John Martin Ramsay

I have power of attorney for a homebound elderly single man. We researched medical alarm systems and chose Bay Alarm. Setting up took some effort but we were able to get the wrist button running and checked out. Now, the man has had to move to the first floor but the speaker, located on the second floor, still is able to communicate with him. He reported the watch band had stretched and a replacement arrived a few days later. We are well pleased with Bay Alert.

Walter Wilson/ Diane WIlson

Fortunately we have not had any medical emergencies, but we have had at least 2 power outages and a dropped device. Each time we received a telephone call from Bay Alarm within a short period of time to check if everything was ok. Increased our sense of security as we are sure that there will be a timely response in an emergency situation as well.

John Rogers

What can I say, I hope I never find out if you advertising is factual. That would mean we have not needed emergency care. Money well spent , providing comfort knowing that if we need help, you will be there for us. Since you asked, I seem to have lost my key box. I have no idea when or why it disappeared. My question is what do I need to do to replace it. If the emt crew can't get in , how could they provide service.

Lyla Redding, CA

I recently cancelled my service and it was very smooth. I returned the equipment by mail and 3 days later they confirmed the cancellation. I had to use the service twice in this last year and can not believe how quickly some one was at my door. They were very professional and put me at ease right away. I am a 74 year old disabled woman and it isn't that easy to let several men into my apartment where I live alone. But like I said they put be at ease right away.

David Carmichael Salisbury, NC

So far I have been very pleased with the product and the customer service for the system my mother is using; she has also been quite pleased. All of the Customer Service Reps we have dealt with have been most pleasant, helpful and responsive.

John Z Milwaukee, WI

I purchased this for my mom 6 months ago, so it is still fairly new to her. Only had to test it a couple of times just to see the response time. It took @ 30 seconds to get a reply. In my opinion a fairly fast response time.

Diane Booth Denver, CO

We haven't had to call you in an emergency yet but the few times she has accidentally hit the button, you have been very professional and kind. Having the button available gives us peace of mind when I do have to go out. Rachel Russell daughter (Diane Booth)

Leslie Stevenson, WA

I got this for my Mother several years ago after she had a stroke. So far, we've been lucky that she hasn't used it. But she lives alone and I'm 300 miles away although I have siblings that are closer. It's just a relief to know she has it.

Kim

My father had fallen and was unable to move. When Bay Alarm Medical folks did not receive an answer from him, they immediately dispatched the EMT to his residence and then proceeded to call everyone on his contact list. He was taken to the ER, treated, and released that snowy evening. BAM provided fast action and professional care.

Nick O'Dell

After several accidental false alarms, my wife and I received top-rated customer service in how to avoid these. Monthly tests go smoothly. The only slight, and now fixed, error was in the order of contacts in the event of a true alarm.

Pat Manteca, CA

I've used Bay Alarm for five years now and have not had an emergency. I test my necklace monthly and the responders are always very nice and make sure I don't have need for emergence assistance. I have no concern that they will not be there for me should the need arise.

Wendy Wickard Newville, PA

We got this system for our mother. It used been used a couple times and has been great each time. We have nothing but good things to say about Bay Alarm and would recommend it. It is also within a price we can afford with good service.

Dean BISCHOFF Norman, OK

We have been happy with them for about 5 years now. We don't have anything else to compare to. I picked up the system for my mom and it works great for her. They are responsive when needed and the equipment works well

Joan Killingsworth Cape Coral, FL

It is good to have a "protector" aroumd, to know I can get help. I wear my pendant all the time I am home. I can check the alarm occasionally and that is a good thing. Thank you, Joan

M snider

The agents on the phone are polite and patient. I needed assistance disconnecting the equipment and the reinstalling it as we moved our mother from her winter home to her summer home.

Helen Wassin Nottingham, MD

I mistakenly depressed the button on my bracelet. I thought the response time was longer than it should have been. When someone did answer they were very pleasant And concerned.

David A. Schwick Amherst, VA

I enlisted Bay Mediical as a provider for my aunt. I have never been disappointed with Bay Medical's responses to testing. Fortunately' we have never had to use their services.

Marla Siegel

I am happy with the product I got for my elderly mom. Her electricity went out and customer service checked in on her. It gives me peace of mind to know she is being "watched over". Thank you!

Delann Dempsey Brunswick, OH

Customer service has always been very helpful any time I have called. It would be better if the alert button were recessed as I have set it off by accident a number of times, including when wearing it in bed at night.

GARY HINKLE Centerton, AR

NEVER EXPEIRENCE A PROBLEM. THE BILLING IS DONE SMOOTHLY WITHOUT ANY ERRORS . I DO NOT HAVE BUT ONE COMPLAIN AND SO MINOR . I BELIEVE I WAS CHARGES FO A KEY BOX AND NEVER RECIEVED ONE

Doug M Oceanside, CA

Good and reliable service. I had to use it once and they called my home and I couldn't answer, then they went down my list of contacts and then called 911.

Richard Kozasa Whittier, CA

Thank goodness, I have not had to use your services. My cleaning lady accidently pushed the button and the response wash immedate.

William Raymond Myers New Smyrna Beach, FL

I have not had to use the system for an emergency, but each time I test it the response is quick and thorough.

Willa Seder Pauls Valley, OK

I have not had to use this in an emergency but have mistakingly hit it and have immediately gotten response.

Tamera

I needed to know why my moms bill was higher than the last one. They explained why and the problem was solved.

Robert MacLeod Pepperell, MA

It has been a life saver. The improvement in my sleep quality has made me relax knowing I have this at my bedside.

Seth Scott Peekskill, NY

Responsive and professional. Helped me move my device for my mom and test multiple times. Great company!

Georgia Townsend Saint Louis, MO

I feel more at peace when I'm outside doing yard work now. Help is only a button away!

H. Stanley Levin

alarm went off by itself , techs had no idea why. response was great .

Harry Nicholos (Personal) Raleigh, NC

Called during a power outage to check on my mother-in-law! Excellent!

Bette Dalzell

Things are great. So far it is good I would recommend the services and have.

Rita Finch

Everyone is always friendly and helpful and that is always a plus to encounter.

Julie Bell

Great customer service and speedy delivery

David Wiles Cincinnati, OH

Recommended by relative. They're ALWAYS there.

Gail Briguglio Wixom, MI

great group with consistent and responsive service

Sandy Jeltema Jenison, MI

people who pick up when the alert goes out are very nice.