1-800-Med-Alert

1-800-Med-Alert

1-800-Med-Alert values simplicity and has an easy to use system with 24/7 monitoring. Their website mentions that they have been in the business of protecting seniors for over 25 years.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.1 8.6 Read Review
#2 8.8 9.1 Read Review
#3 6.7 8.5 Read Review
#30 3.7 9.2 Current

The Good

• Emergency contact options
  • Help button range
  • Base unit purchase options

1-800-Med-Alert has one of the best emergency contact options in the industry. A client can select up to 8 contacts, indicate which one has a key to the house, and choose the hospital where they wish to stay. In order to reduce the cost of an ambulance, a client can choose to select contacting family members before summoning an ambulance.

1-800-Med-Alert offers a great range with the help button. Even though the help button doesn't have the best range on the market, 400 feet is more than enough for a person who wants to move in and about their home. The button is also waterproof, meaning that the client can use it in the shower or outside the home.

Another thing great about 1-800-Med-Alert is the affordable extra help button for couples and families. The help button is affordable and only costs an extra $3.49/month.

The customer has the option to purchase the base unit outright, which can lower monthly fees. Not quite sure how this affects the warranty on the product, but for a user who plans on having their system for a while- it provides cost savings.

The Bad

• Additional fees
  • Website
  • Lack of mobility

The automatic monitoring service adds an additional cost of $8.99 per month. Many of the products and services reviewed for personal alert systems involved free automatic updates. If a person chooses not to purchase the monitoring service for the base unit, they might not notice something wrong with the system. Therefore, if a system failed, the system might not work in an emergency.

The website for 1-800-Med-Alert has not been updated since 2012. Terms of services might have changed since then, as well as other warranty stipulations. Terms of services are not included on the website.

Another concern about this company was the lack of mobility. Even though the help button can travel 400 feet away from the base unit, there are not many options for leaving the house, taking an extended vacation, or getting away for a weekend. Cellular and GPS services would make 1-800-Med-Alert's product more viable.

The Bottom Line

It is difficult to recommend 1-800-Med-Alert, due to the lack of information on their service. It was even difficult to find the information about their UI licensure for their monitoring center. There also is no way of knowing about complaints or pending government actions against 1-800-Med-Alert. In the end, 1-800-Med-Alert comes highly recommended because they have one of the best customer support platforms for reaching emergency contacts. Also, clients have the ability to pick which hospital they would like to go to in case of an emergency.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

6 1-800-Med-Alert Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 21st, 2017 San Antonio, TX

Other than signing up to the service, I haven't really dealt with Medical Guardian. However, they did make that process very simple for me, and I think they did a good job.

June 27th, 2017 Lincoln, CA

The representatives are very friendly, and they're willing to help you with whatever concern you have. They're there to help you immediately; they're just friendly and caring.

June 7th, 2017 Stoughton, MA

I think they offer an excellent customer service. They've been here every time I've pressed the button. It's a very good thing to have; I love it.

April 25th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV

It's fabulous! I thought it was time to wear something like this after falling a couple of months ago. If I wouldn't have had friends around here I would've been in trouble. It was very easy to deal with their sales team, and so far they've been very helpful with me. I have no complaints.

2 0

March 23rd, 2017 Allentown, PA

My daughter got the service for me after I ended up in the hospital for falling. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and everything is okay; the people are nice. I would rather have the other one that goes off when you fall but it's too much money and I can't afford it.

February 6th, 2017 Amonate, VA

The system seems to work fine. I haven't had it for too long to be honest with you. I needed some help getting it out of the box and setting it up, but its nice to know how it works and how to use it.