HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

4.8

William Marble Falls, TX

HughesNet is a terrible company . I have been a customer for over 5 plus years cause they were the only service available. I recently found another company that offers a way better service. I called customer service today to cancel my contract when it is up and they want to charge me a 100 dollar cancellation fee. Also they expect my 70 year old husband to climb on top of the roof and get a part off the satellite. Please don’t use them keep searching

Chuck Adams River Falls, WI

Please don't fall for their dishonest sales pitch! You have to agree to pay them, but they don't have to provide any kind of service at all, nothing is guaranteed on their end! You can call them daily, listen to their BS, but nothing changes. It is probably the weather, a flock of birds in the same county, solar activity, dust in the atmosphere, Russians hacking the internet, but it is always too bad so sad!

Kadin and Kea Baker O'Fallon, MO

Slow internet service. When the internet went down we asked for a technician to come out they were going to charge us to come fix their equipment. we contacted them a several times about the slow internet speed. bad product and bad customer service. if there were a 0 star option I would give it to them. Cancelled my service after a year. well worth the cancelation fee. I was paying apt $100 a month for terrible internet that didn't work half of the time.

Ronnie K Marysville, MT

Got Huges net because Dish said that it would me so much faster . I was a Dish customer and still use there dish fir TV for the last 14 years . I should have never switched Huges is the worst system ever . I can't even watch a Youtube video without buffering 10 time I tried to stream a 1 hour show and it to over 2 hours to watch . PLEASE DON'T GET HUGES NET They also say in there ads the price is $59 dollars but not you pay another $14 in equipment every monty . They say this sucker coming a mile away just warning you !

Matthew Shepherd Tampa, FL

By far the worst internet you good possibly get . If you go with this company Beware. Very expensive. I have 4 kids that are doing there schooling from home and with in 2 weeks the Data Runs out and we are forced to keep buying more data throughout the rest of the month. Average internet bill is $250 a month and we do not stream movies or tv. I tried to cancel but they will charge 400 dollars to end contract.

Ripped off Phoenix, AZ

They are liars and dishonest in their data speeds. They block emails which affects commerce. 1-2 BYTES per second email download is frequent and fully documented by this party. If you file a complaint as I have, your speed of data transfer goes even slower. They do get even! Avoid this company like the plague! ! Am setting up a class action law suit this month. Am fed up with these liars!

Linda Buffalo Grove, IL

We have a cabin in a rural area of WI with no broadband internet options. We decided to give HughesNet a try as they had a cancellation policy with the special package we signed up for. They came to install the satellite and modem on March 14. We experienced delay issues immediately streaming Prime videos. We contacted with concerns and service also contacted us that they saw performance issues on their end. Wisconsin issued a "stay in place" order on March 24-May 26 so the proposed service could not be completed until June. The service occurred on a day where we left to go back to our home and was not onsite to use service. I had been assured that HughesNet would take these COVID issues into consideration. We came back in July and the service was still poor. We called and complained and asked for the service to be terminated. The customer service representative suspended the service which didn't make sense to me at the time but was assured I would not be paying for the service or the cancellation fee. It is now October and we felt HughesNet should have it's equipment back so called to ask how to send it back. They said the service would then be terminated and we would pay the cancellation fee of $370.00 plus another $15 fee. They said if technical service confirmed our concern they would waive the fee. We talked to tech services and they said they would need to send a technician. This seemed a waste of time and resources so we said no please terminate the service as requested in July. They did terminate but said they would charge the cancellation fee. We asked the record reflect we disputed the claim. They have changed our credit card and we have disputed the claim with the credit card company. I told them that I was contacting the BBB about their deceptive and horrible service.

Mike Bradley Issaquah, WA

So, I live in a rural area. My current provider can only deliver 6 mbps. Very slow for my needs, but beggars can't be choosers. Today I decided beggars can be choosers, as long is there is another possible option. The other option for me was HughesNet. So I gave them a call. I was connected to a very nice customer service rep. She was able to answer most of my questions and made a very good offer for installation and internet service. I explained I wanted to share all the information with my wife and would call them back if we both agreed that was the best option. She then transferred me to her manager. He was a whiz that was able to answer every question I had in detail. I felt good about moving forward with them. However, I still wanted to discuss the issue with my wife so we could make a decision we both agreed upon. It was then that the very high pressure sales tactics began. I felt like I was trapped in a time share sales office with no doors out. He literally would not let me off the phone without making a commitment. I told him I needed to get off the phone and he said I can't let you do that. I actually felt I had no other option other than to hang up. Which I did. I will not use their service. They had the sale and high pressure tactics lost it.

Kim Sannes Colorado Springs, CO

Worst internet service ever!! I have never had such a horrible experience with an internet provider. I have a property in Brevard NC, but I live in Colorida. I was not sure what internet to use so I called Hughes Net and specifically asked about contracts etc. I was told not contract was necessary so I set up a time when I was in Brevard to get service connected. I specifically said, I have a cabin in the mountains and don't want the dish to block any views. They rescheduled and I told them it was not a time I could meet them. They said ok...not a problem...when I was not at property, they installed a huge dish in front of my deck blocking the view! I was shocked and I called the number. It took me 1.5 hours to talk to a real person. horrible horrible cutomer service. I asked them to move the dish. The internet service was slow and intermittent. I called again to find out why it was so terrible...again over 1 hour to talk to anyone and kept getting hung up on. I drove to their address that was on their website and it was an old abandoned building. Total scam company. I finally talked to someone the next day after again a very long and painful wait...I told them the service was terrible, the connection was terrible--they gave me no solution and then told me I was locked into a contract! I only had the service for a few days and could not get onto the internet. I had not signed anything and had not been told or agreed to a contract. I finally --after fighting with customer servcei on phone--that they would come move the dish so it was not in front of my deck! I was so fed up and found out about the internet provider that was a reliable provider and retunred my calls etc... When Hughes net finally came to move dish I told them I did not want their service and take the dish. I had so much trouble with tech about taking the dish...he said oh, they will make you pay if you try and cancel...He agreed to take the dish but would not take the other equipment and said I would have to wait for a box from hughes net to ship it back. I shipped the equipment that day--receipt return mail and took pictures of everything I shipped. I called --again over a nhour long wait --and finally talked to a person and argued over cancelling thieir service. The Hughes net agreed to cancel my service and said I would owe $0.00. I asked for an email and received an email with thsi confirmation of a $0 balance. That was June 28, 2020 -I received an email on August 11 stating I owed $125... I sent an email back with the attached $0 balance email confirmation and cancellation letter. I just received a credit collector document in the mail. Unbelievable...now I have to fight it out with them. But I have the documentation. This is the Worst company ever!! Comporium is the internet service to use in Brevard, NC. Stay away from HughesNet. so terrible.

Hotel CA Minneapolis, MN

Service was mediocre at best. Absolutely the WORST customer service, reps and cancelation process. You have to call in to cancel. LONG wait times to talk to a rep (in a foreign country) that can't cancel service and seems unable to reach anyone else to do it. When I told him it was bull crap, he hung up. THEN he kept calling me and hanging up over and over and over and over and over... I called hoping to get a different rep. Same guy. Refused to connect me to a supervisor. It took over 2 hours to cancel their crap service. Then I received the equipment return box/ instructions. They actually expect customers to remove the raio from the satellite dish on the roof! WTF! STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL CALIFORNIA company. GETTING RID OF THEM IS A NIGHTMARE!

Mary Basham Elkridge, MD

When I called someone by the name Chad answered I explained I need internet for my 3 kids to do online learning due to the cornovirus and the day before I had called to price what it would be and they said I'd have to pay 409.90 for installation and equipment and I asked since no one else offers internet can they wave the fee he laughs says no if someone told you that yesterday I'm gone tell you the same thing and since this is your 2nd call its gone cost you more because we only offer discounts and promotions to 1st time callers so if you call back after this your going to dig yourself a deeper hole. This is the rudest person without any compassion I am very discouraged with this company don't recommend them to anyone. Now I have no way to provide my children with Internet

Ra Howell Springtown, TX

Hughes Net has signs in our neighborhood for high speed internet. I called and explained that we had poor signal from our current provider. I was told that if the satellite did not work we could get a full refund after returning the equipment within 30 days. The installer also told me if I was not satisfied we would get a full refund one the equipment was returned. From the time it was installed it did not carry enough strength to support even Netflix. We returned the equipment in the box Hughes Net provided before the 30 days. But we did not get a refund. After calling Hughes Net and talking to several representatives (and being hung up on many times) we were told that they do not have a return policy like that and never have. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and was told that Hughes Net claims it is a legitimate charge. It was a terrible experience and I had to eat the cost.

Kathy Mitchell Reidsville, NC

Beginning in 3/2020, our router failed and we had another installed which is when the problems began. A refurbished router was installed but he technician didn't do his job and the router remained in the name of the previous owner. We contacted HughesNet so many times but nothing has been solved. We were told that we had to closed out our current account and open another for which we were charged $108.88????? We feel that this was not our fault and HughesNet should not have charged us for this. Also at the same time, we were charged a termination fee of $100.00 for our phone line (which we didn't need any longer and we were told that they would waive this fee........THEY DIDN'T. Our bank account was overcharged for this $100. today. Again, we called and was told a supervisor would call....NOT. We haven't heard from anyone! There are too many issues to put in words but be forewarned.....don't get involved with HughesNet or you will definitely pay the price!

Allison Rochester, MN

I lived in a remote area that no other providers would reach. Upon obtaining the services I was told it would be a year contract, I then received the email receipt that stated a 24month term in the fine print at the bottom. At the time I wasn’t too concerned but after the home owner and myself got in a terrible break up I needed to switch or cancel the services. The first time I called I was told the account or billing could be charger to the address owner. We weren’t speaking at the time so they took my name and card off the file and sent a paper bill to him which he paid. I then two months later get a very hostile text from my ex’s mother saying I needed to cancel the services even though they’d been using and paying for it for two months. I called and was then told a completely different story and that I was to buy out my contract of $400 or switch the services to my new address that I live that. I asked again if it was possible to get the contract name switched and “Zoe” in customer services said it was with the authorization of the new party. I finally got my ex to agree and called back not even two hours later to which I spoke with Frank D. I explained the situation and asked to change the name to Nathan under the account and that because of his brain injury his mother will provide the details and authorization. He then tells me this isNR possible!!????? That my only option is to keep the account or now buy out the modem for $398. EXCUSE ME? Not to mention every time I’ve called the story has changed. I should not have to keep these services under my name and effect my credit when I was informed twice prior that I wouldn’t have too. No one at the company even tries to be helpful. They also seem to lake zero compassion. I understand contracts or contracts but so are leases and people sub lease all the time. If I have someone willing and able to take the account who actually lives at the address of the services then this shouldn’t be an issue. Instead this company seems to only want its money. Absolute worst customer service department I’ve EVER dealt with. It would be one thing if the services actually worked worth the $130 they make you pay a month too. Honestly I’m just very disappointed in the overall service and poor business etiquette from every person, even management at this company.

Resident of Earth Cedar Hill, MO

HughesNet price gouging rural internet users who have on real alternatives! HughesNet Internet service is horrible. Intermittent, poor quality and grossly overly priced when compared to other providers. Approximately every 4 months or so they attempt to jack my monthly payments up $40.00 dollars or so and I have to call and complain to get prices back down to the original agreed amount. I imagine this is standard practice they attempt with everyone, and get away with on some people who just pay their credit card statements without checking over them. I even purchased the equipment in an effort to keep my monthly bill as reasonable as possible , but they continuously raise my monthly payments! Compared to other similar services Hughes Net is a complete rip off!

amber clemons McGehee, AR

I would rate it a -5 if I could. Service is HORRIBLE! I waited for my contract to end and cancelled. I was asked to return my router and a piece attached to the satellite ON MY ROOF! My husband works out of state and I am extrememly busy with my job in nursing. Especially right now with Covid-19. I am unable to get the part from the roof but they were told they are more than welcome to come get it. They told me that was my responsibility and I should have hired someone to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sent back the router because I was able to get to it. I do not want to keep a useless part I just had to PAY for! I would hate to know I was elderly and on a fixed income! I had to pay over $200 due to that part because they sent me to collections and they want me to hire someone to climb on my roof and get it!

Tim Ogden Webb City, MO

Our AT and T internet is poor. They called with a special deal on satellite internet and said it would use my Direct TV dish. When they sent the email confirmation, it was HughesNet and the deal was nearly twice the cost promised. Plus it uses a different dish. I called HughesNet to cancel immediately and after 15 minutes on the phone with them telling me I could not cancel. I had to get angry with them on the phone and they eventually relented and put my installation "on hold" for a week if I changed my mind. They still charged me $100 for the installation they did not do which I feel is fraudulent. AT&T is partially to blame for the bait and switch. If I had known it was HughesNet I would have never agreed because we have used them before and the service was poor.

Corey E Wilkinson

They are helpful but service is horrible. We cannot stream videos so can never have Netflix. We cant be on 2 devices at once. That said it's the best service in our area. We live 1 mile from a major road. I'm very disappointed with this service. We are unable to get comcast. That's is 250 ft away on the end of our street and they said we cant get their service neither

Rachel Linden, CA

Hughesnet sucks. Sometimes, I cant even search things. I use it for homework and half the time I cannot get it to load my schools website. My data is use up within the first week of the cycle and it costs way more than any other internet. I also have hughesnet voice because I do not have access to any other land line phone. The phone sucks too. It has a delay when it does work, but most of the time the phone is so staticy I cannot hear anyone on it. I might as well not have a home phone or internet. Hopefully I never have to call 911 for myself or my 5 young children, they would not be able to hear me. I do not recommend it.

Carolyn Beebout Nashville, TN

I needed internet desperately for my son for school. They made me agree to a two years contract took first month out and everything. When the guy arrived to install it he wasn’t able to. So I have no internet period Nothing at all and they are keeping my money for a reason I don’t know why because I don’t have their services and I would appreciate my money back. If I don’t have the service I should get my money back. It is that simple. I don’t like rating no one or even doing this but I work hard for my money and would just simply appreciate it back if your company can’t provide service and you doing a credit check messed with my score as well. I am not happy at all I just wanted internet for my son and all this has happened. Have a Blessed day

h๏shi Sebring, FL

I've had this service since 2017, and as I am writing this I've been on hold for about an hour waiting to cancel. I've never been more excited to cancel a subscription in my life! If you've read the others reviews, I'm sure you're already aware that this whole company is just a scam that traps you into a 2 year long contract and that early cancellation costs $400 dollars. I have the lowest plan and they sign you up for automatic payments so you're unaware if they're charging you more than you signed up for--- which is hilarious because their service NEVER WORKS. I've had this piece of trash for two years and whenever I'm home I simply use my hotspot or something.. I even bought a WiFi booster to see if it'd help but nope! Simple advice: DON'T GET THIS SERVICE. Simple, right?

Lisa Ulness Phoenix, AZ

I just signed up for there wifi service yesterday but after more thought and due to all the hidden costs I called today to cancel. They were 59 People ahead of me in line to do the chat to cancel my order which will probably take me three days to get to talk to anyone. I called the phone number and I was on hold for 33 minutes and then transferred and I could no longer hold because I had a business meeting to attend. I sent an Email to cancel my service and I’m not sure if they will ever get back to me. The sales rep continually tried to upsell me and the prices that they advertise on their website or not the true price they’re much more. It seems like a very shady company.

Ben Placerville, CA

HughesNet "provides," hands down, the worst "internet service" I've experienced since dial-up. Honestly, the reliability of service was better with dial-up. I only rate this service slightly above because the speeds are often better. Note that I said often. Speeds are also often comparable with those of a dial-up connection. (Remember waiting for an image to load, top to bottom, pixel line by pixel line? Yeah, that happens.) And the service often cuts in and out - like really often - like throughout the day, every day - and often drops off for longer period, sometimes hours at a time. If there is a storm in Arizona, we don't have internet access in northern California. Yeah, I'm not joking. Streaming: When streaming (short) videos, very, very rarely will they play continuously without interruption; movies, never. Periodic pausing to reload is the norm. HD does not exist. Sub-SD is the norm. Sometimes a movie/video will never re-buffer and I'll be forced to give up. I will say that their customer service has been ok. They can't fix the problems, but it's not their fault. All this, and at what price? It's expensive for a quality service. And this is far from a quality service. In summary, I would like to convey the severity of the frustration and misery that this service causes me on a daily basis. Alas, we have no cell signal where we live and this is the only ISP option. Some days, I'm really not sure it's worth it. I beg you, please, do not sign up for HughesNet "internet service."

Jared Starnes Chicago, IL

There is really not much past thier introductory period that I liked about the service. At that time it worked great. Currently, in the Corona virus issue there service has dwindled. My wife is a college professor and if forced to go all online. We had to have Fidelity internet installed for her to provide the level of support her students deserve. Hughsnet was unwilling to wave our contract cancellation fee and would not refund the last bill amount. They, would only offer to suspend the services for 3 months. I was not allowed to talk to a supervisor. I would never recommend Huesnet service to anyone in the future.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

I would like to say it was terrible but living in the middle of nowhere with no other options, this got the job done. No other company had options for internet. Slow but still useable

Michael Curry ,

If I could go lower I certainly would! They told me on our first phone call there would be a 7 day Grace. And which we would not get charged $400 to cancel our service we would also be refunded are $132 that we put up front for installation which was supposed to be free but was supposed to go towards our bill. 2 days later I called to cancel the service since the 5G decided not to work and the 2G was working as slow as molasses running uphill. I was hung up on by their automated service three different times then even a worker hung up on me saying they dropped the call or what not after talking to someone else they agreed to reset my service and make sure it was as fast as I could be it worked that night however after last night of it working pretty decently it decided to put her out throughout the early morning hours and completely sucked yet again today so I cancelled it. I have a recording that is going on YouTube and which shows they still charged us half of the fee they did not charge us for the termination fee however they only gave back 60 some-odd dollars instead of the hundred and thirty plus that they charged the service sucks their speed suck their workers suck their automated service sucks and the complete con artists do not go with this service.

Ashley Peterson , IL

Hughesnet and century link were the only available service providers in my area when I recently moved into my house. Due to pricing, I went with hughesnet as it was cheaper for the same service. I regret ever thinking this was a good idea. My first call was great! They gave me every discount available. However, after getting it installed, I had issues the very same day. I called to see what we could do to avoid cancelling. The customer service rep I talked to transferred me to tech support which she offered for free, but informed me that a call to tech support was usually $120+. After sitting on the phone with tech support for LITERALLY two hours, the only "support" he offered was turning our computers off and back on again, and uninstalling and reinstalling our web browser. The most BASIC fixes of all time. I informed him we had already tried these fixes but he wanted to stay on the phone while we did this. I'm very glad I received this call to tech support for free because the fixes that he offered were not worth even $10. After a couple of days of trying to put up with the WORST internet service I've ever experienced in my entire life, I called to cancel. This was within 10 days of setting up the service, but my cancellation fee was going to be $400+. I filed a complaint with the BBB and all of a sudden they were excited to offer me a $0 cancellation fee if I kept the service for the remainder of the month, and ONLY because the customer service rep who sold me the service forgot to ask me what I was going to primarily use the service for and how many hours a day, which would have resulted in me not signing up for their service in the first place. Therefore I took this route. Once my service was cancelled, they shipped me a box to return the equipment (which WE had to uninstall OURSELVES) and were warned that if there were ANY damages to the equipment, we would be charged (due to the awfulness of everything else with their service, I'm sure this would include damages in transit as well). Also, if they received the equipment later than 30 days, i would be charged for the equipment. The box took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. In this time, I received a $71 bill for my month of service, which is fine. However, the equiment is currently in the mail to be returned. I decided to check my bank account today and noticed an UNAUTHORIZED charge for $322. I received absolutely NO notice that I was going to be charged. At the very least I expected an email to inform me that I was going to be charged, or even a letter in the mail. I've received neither. I'm so fed up with their awful customer service and service in general, I would absolutely NEVER recommend hughesnet to my worst enemies. I read reviews before getting hughesnet and thought, "it cant be THAT bad, I'll give it a shot." DON'T DO IT. Dont make the same mistake I did. Spend the extra $10 a month. Do not even consider hughesnet. I'm not exaggerating when I say its literally the WORST decision ive ever made. I regret a handful of things in my life but absolutely nothing more than trying out hughesnet. Save your frustration and your money in the long run. Literally the biggest scam. Id rate them negative 100 stars if I could.

Terry Medina Hohenwald, TN

Started Hughesnet Gen 5 account summer of 2017. Account required automatic payment and purchase of equipment. Have never had good coverage and streaming has always been a problem. It took until November 2019 for them to discover that the system had the wrong location and after that they found that the software called out the wrong satellite. Billing would not credit me for any of the time that settings were wrong. Streaming was slightly better but still not great. Many hours spent on the phone with troubleshooting. All calls had to be made late night since that was only time reception was good enough to complete the troubleshooting they required on my end. Finally, cancelled service effective Feb 3, 2020 but since they had already billed me they will not refund any of the amount. They say it has been cancelled but will be running until Feb 28, 2020. Worst service and customer service I have ever encountered. Never met the Gen 5 speed or access that was promised .

Charlie Kimball Eugene, OR

From day one, promises were made that didn't pan out. We were told we could stream movies and the 10GB plan would be enough. So, we had the service installed at our vacation home. The first time there, slow to no service, buffering, no connectivity. We called and were told it was because we had used our data already. Really?!!! We hadn't even used it yet! Same story over the months. Every time we show up to our vacation home it is a battle royal to get the thing to work. Finally I called and asked to be cancelled. I didn't feel that I should be charged a cancellation fee given the issues we had. The person was rude and I asked for a supervisor. "No one here can help you" was the response. Then she hung up. Next thing I knew we received an email with a $300 bill and a thank you for being a customer and that they were sorry we were cancelling! These guys are crooks plain and simple. Whatever you do, don't sign up for the HughesNet plan. These guys need to wake up and smell the coffee. By the way, a one star is too good for these folks but unfortunately it is the lowest rating I can give them.

Roger Dee Lakebay, WA

I swear this company's Mission Statement is LIE, CHEAT AND STEAL. No company can be that incompetent without intent. Do not believe anything they tell you. I don't think it would help, because they don't care... but if I had to do it again I would record every phone call, get every name and employee ID and reference number and replay them on Youtube. Otherwise it is just unbelievable. I will save you a long, sad and expensive story but suffice it to say that if you sign up with this company I promise you that you will not get what you ask for. Just a WARNING. The rest is on you. P.S. In all reality my true rating would be -5 (that is negative five just to be perfectly clear).

Nicole Amsler Corning, NY

We live in an area where high speed internet was not available when we first arrived, so we got HughesNet internet to fill the gap--it seemed to be the most highly rated dish internet service. In hindsight, we should have just paid the extra fees for unlimited phone data/hotspot connections, because the internet from HughesNet was patchy and slow, even during "fast" periods. The worst part of our experience, though, was upon attempting to end our service after almost two years of being on-time customers. Unbeknownst to us, when you cancel your HughesNet, they expect you to return a part of the satellite dish that *a professional* installed **on your roof**. If you fail to do this, you incur almost $400 in extra fees. In our case, we did venture onto our roof, once we found a friend with a ladder high enough and safe enough to make the attempt, and returned the requested part. However, we were then informed by HughesNet that there is apparently a "108 day" rule, where if you return the part after 108 days, you forfeit your $400. Never mind that you performed their extremely unsafe request and climbed onto your roof to retrieve their equipment, never mind that they now have this equipment in their inventory, never mind that you may have done this within 113 days, and never mind that you were never once informed about the 108 day policy. They are keeping your $400. Frankly, I am appalled at such a company policy. I will never again consider HughesNet as a viable option, and I would never recommend to anyone that they should go with this service for their internet. Please, save your time, money, and safety and choose unlimited data through your phone service provider.

Clayton G Brooksville, FL

Had it 10 years ago. Got it again hoping they had improved but It was horrible then and now 10 years later it's the same thing slow speeds data gone in a flash no kidding couple days maybe a week of streaming video and Poof data gone. Not 24 hours a day either couple hours a day. Only me and wife here. Wife works full time I'm home alone most times so not drained by having a bunch of people on line. Does nothing but buffer while streaming or just does nothing and keeps saying no internet connection. Days I can barely even go on the internet to shop or browse. If it rains it goes out, if its thinking about raining it goes out. I have it hardwired with lan line from tv to router direct and I don't use wifi expect for smartphone, still slow, buffers drops off, no service. Complete junk. Save your money unless it's your ONLY OPTION. I'm in an area that has 2 choices this service and 1 other. Looks like I'm heading to the other It's to expensive data gone in a flash. If you like to watch Netflix etc it's ok after 2am for a few hours. Use 2 cans and a string better then this stuff. I don't generally leave reviews but this service is HORRIBLE in my opinion. I'm getting ready to drop it and eat there $400 fee for cancellation of service before 2 years time period. I'm 1 month in and next month I'm cancelling it. Its worth it to me to pay the $400 to cancel rather then pay $60+ per month for 24 months end up paying more to stay with subpar service. It reminds me of old cell service expensive buyouts for cancellation of contact, data gone in flash, only good at late hours in the early am.

Jim in GR Grand Rapids, MI

I had HughesNet a few years ago and hated them because they were just a LITTLE BIT faster than dial up. After going elsewhere, and learning they had improved, I signed up again three months ago. Their current TV ad (and the salesman I spoke with) indicate a download speed of 25Mbps. Being very unhappy with them again, I ran internet speed tests every single day for the last month. The AVERAGE download speed was 0.85Mbps. When I called to complain, they say I use it too much (even on the first day of a new monthly cycle, and even though I use it less than I projected when I spoke with the salesman). I cancelled HughesNet 5 days ago, just before the next billing cycle. HughesNet charged the next billing cycle to my bank account anyway. I only wish I could give them 0 stars instead of 1.

Larry Dunn Gurnee, IL

We have Gen 5 at our vacation home. We live 5 hours away. We use HughesNet for WiFi connection during the winter to maintain our heat through our Nest thermostat. Since 11/28/19 we have not been able to connect. Call HughsNet support and they have no assistance unless there is someone at the home to observe what lights are on the modem. They cannot do anything such as reboot the modem remotely. My internet at our year round home is supplied by Comcast. I can reset modem, power it down, including our router through a phone app or over the phone. It is not necessary for anyone to be in the home. I will look for another supplier.

Marty Britton, MI

The 25 megabytes they advertise I may get a few spikes of it a day normally it's less than one megabyte I've called and complained and talked to many different people that come up with many different excuses they keep you on the phone till you get a couple of good spikes and then tell you they fixed it it's a total rip-off I don't know anybody that is satisfied with it I can't watch YouTube download any streaming videos half the time the pages won't even load then they say what you have too many devices hooked up well I'm not using any other devices and that's a whole idea of getting 25 megabytes anyway is 4 many devices it just total BS the commercials make me sick when I hear what a fraud they do

Lisa Partlow, VA

Literally just got off the phone. Wouldn't give me a price till i agree to a credit check. Well not me, i ain't falling for it. We dont do contracts no more, and yes the representative was trying everything to get me set it up. So after reading reviews and seen the prices they offer with the speeds they're giving and the allowance. Nope i stick with what we got. We live in a area that is limited to internet services. We using ROKU and alot of free live tv/movies and apps. Using my mobile hotspot on our phones and its been great, but every now and then it lags. So we just deal with it. $120 for cell phone $40 for SLING TV $160 total for my set up, phone, tv, internet, no contracts on nothing. I stick with this. Come on hughesnet, get with the program. Contracts are the past, people dont like it.

GS Grady, AL

Recently cancelled services from Hughes Net because of inconsistent service and slow speeds. Was told that it was not required to send old equipment back to them because it was in fact old and they even suggested that maybe that's why their service didn't work right. It was an awful experience dealing with them. Well, after a time they automatically deducted the price of the equipment that they had said DO NOT RETURN. They did put the money back in the account once we called and held their feet to the fire for their error and proved that they had in fact said not to send it back. The draft caused a chain reaction they would not accept responsibility for and they would not pay for the fees that were a result of the chain reaction. My opinion? Hughes Net has sorry customer service and isn't worth the money spent for their sorry internet services.

Richard Bangor, ME

HughesNet is the absolute worst internet service I have ever used. Reminds me the dial up internet I had years ago. First complaint I have is my security program is say my internet connection is not secure a recommends I use a VPN, well HughesNet does not work with VPN. When I called to complain about this the person I talked to did not know what VPN was. She did not know of any complaints about the connection being unsecured. If she had checked the HughesNet forum there are many complaints about the unsecured network. HughesNet does not work with WiFi calling, another negative. Oh did I mention slow. I cannot watch videos of any kind without them stopping to load 10 times during the video. Checking my mail takes forever, I find my self shutting off the WiFi and using data on my phone just to check my e-mail. If you are considering HughesNet as your internet provider good luck!!

Michael Clarksville, TN

Ever since I first signed up with them it was a terrible experience. Any storm moving through and the signal is gone. Even just some rain. The speed is abysmal, can't even use voice chat software like Skype, or Discord because of how high the ping is. Their customer service and billing departments are probably the worst of any company I've ever encountered. I'm definitely not one to go and write reviews for anything. But my experience with then was so poor I had to make sure that my experience with them was voiced so that I could prevent others from the same experience. I called in May of 2019 to have my account cancelled in August after my two year contract ended because we found a better provider. They told me the account would auto cancel and send out a box to reclaim the equipment that was leased to me. September rolls around, and I was beginning to wonder where the return box was. The next day they charge me almost triple what my original payments were. I call to rectify the situation, to which I was told they could not refund me. Once I get the account cancelled they attempt to issue a refund. Turns out their billing department cannot issue a refund within 10 days of a payment. I call back 10 days later and they tell me that they can't give me my money back until the equipment is returned and I have a tracking number. So I wait for the box to arrive, send the package and give them the tracking number. They still refuse to give me the money back, that they shouldn't have had in the first place, until their equipment is in their warehouse. It feel as if they are holding my money ransom until I return their equipment, which was returned in the exact condition in which they leased it to me. Additionally the money they are holding they shouldn't even have in the first place.

Sam Gray Raleigh, NC

Hughnet pricing is extremely high compared to cable. Folks that can't get internet service through cable is definitely getting taken advantage of. 2 terra bite of data through cable $70 a month 10 GB through Hughsnet $59.99 I get more on my phone.should be ashamed of yourself.

John Gillies Waynesboro, VA

HughesNet. Is providing satellite service for me in a rural area where there are fewer options. The household is two retired people who largely do email and web surfing. No games, no internet streamed movies, etc. I transferred from a telephone linked service which ran at 2-3 MPs for Hughes, which advertises at 25mps. There were some hidden costs for. Installation, but overall I started well. They said that 10G would be plenty for our needs. Then i saw how quickly the data allowance disappeared. At the beginning of the first full month, the ENTIRE 10G disappeared in ONE DAY. A day of no particular heavy usage. At that point, Hughes strangles the speed; down to around 1 MPs - at one point it was down to 0.09 MPs — for the rest of the month. I called to complain and discuss a solution. they said - well you have to turn off all your devices when you are not using them. Phone, iPad, computer, link to Dish TV, etc. In effect, they said - if you want to use internet, you have to stop using the internet. Or you can use the “bonus” period at 2 am to 8 am. I upgraded to more data and am now spending lots of time trying to manage access to the internet to make it functional. When they strangle the flow, it is unworkable. I will not spend $90 for a few days of decent internet. If Hughes had been transparent about the strengths and limitations of the service, I would have no objections. I would have made an informed choice. However, they were not remotely honest or transparent in their marketing or description of service. And then they impose an excessive cancellation fee to discourage leaving. Until they start being honest about their service, it is largely a fraud.

Sean A. Stafford, VA

Absolutely the worst experience you ever have to pay top dollar for. Like so many others in rural Virginia, I was stuck with Hughesnet or nothing. I should have gone with nothing. Here's the highlights: - Automated subscription service recommended a package that was not conducive to my needs. - $300 installation fee. - $100 a month for 1998 speeds and constant buffering of any videos. - Such bad connectivity and speed that I cancelled ALL streaming services because I was so angry. - Up to 2 minutes for Google Maps to load. - When I called and complained the technician asked if I would be able to fix my own issue..!!! - When I cancelled I got slapped with a $150 early cancellation fee. - I had to climb on my roof and take down their equipment to ship it back to them. DON'T EVER USE THESE SCUMBAG LIAR POSes!!! Singlehandedly the worst of the worst. Their awful service is only outmatched by their terrible customer support. Go outside, get into hunting / fishing / camping. Read a Book. Save your money before using these SOBs!!

Michelle Dobies Harrington, DE

Unfortunately hughesnet is the only internet offered in my area. Giving it one star was my only option as well. If there was a choice of zero that's what I would rate it. The representative will tell you this is better then nothing and my opinion nothing is better. They will also tell you that there $49.95 package is plenty for your needs which is also a lie. I had to upgrade $20.00 more dollars and still not enough. I pay my bill on the 26th of every month and my 11 year old son, who is the only one using the internet, is out within 3 days. I can't wait until my contract is over because this is highway robbery. So don't get fooled and stuck in a contract that I can guarantee your gonna deny.

Tish Davis Vinton, LA

Only giving one star because no star is not an option. Cancelled service the next day because we couldn’t watch a movie without it buffering. Called and was told no problem just send the modem back with no cancellation fee. Perfect. Right? No now 2 months later we are charged $220.40 for not returning equipment? They failed to mention that the piece from the satellite needed to be returned as well. Called and they said with a tracking number they will refund our money within 2-5 business days. So the funds for my bills I had scheduled to come out came back NSF-(3) $90, shipping for the piece off the satellite $34. Called and gave them the tracking number and was told to call back within 24-48 hours. Call back and they said it will be refunded on the next billing cycle on October 3rd. Funny how we are not in a contract therefore have no cycle dates, 2 technicians told me we would receive our money in no later than a week and now the manager says it will be a month and I’ll have to call them back and remind them. DO NOT BE FOOLED! They know their service is no good but just want the sales numbers. Shame on you and how you do business and lie and steal!

Fernando Rio Rico, AZ

Do not get HughesNet for your home internet. You will use up all of your data in a very short period, faster then normal use. Trust me. I have tested all my devices (4 cell phones and one tablet). HughesNet only gives you one hour of streaming per day while your data last, all combined. Within a week you'll run out. I used their app to monitor my data. I was surprised to find out I was using data while no devices were connected. Not worth the promises they offer. This to me is a scam. Horrible for video chat and useless for gaming. For movies, you must stream it on the lowest resolution. The bottom line is HughesNet is not for streaming. I call customer service and no one seemed to know how to handle my concerns. One representative told me that I shouldn't have chosen HughesNet and insinuated it was my fault. Another representative told me I had purchased the cheapest plan they offered and suggested I buy more data. Nothing is unlimited like they advertise. Its limited alright. Don't be fooled. The fast internet they promise goes away fast. Trust me. You will be locked in for 24 months and if you cancel you will be charged almost $600 plus you will be responsible for returning the equipment once you get it off the roof or be charged another $300. In closing, DO NOT GET HUGHESNET. Look for a better options.

Joe robb

gentlemen, thanks for the unbelievably pitiful customer service. This whole situation borders on hilarity.Installation on feb 2 and as of the 19th-a total of 30 minutes working internet.I have spoken with 21 people in your organization from pakistan to south florida to louisiana and received only IM SORRY but in the end- no help.All I wanted was a working dish.Just a clear view of the southern sky and everything will be wonderful.What a joke.I have logged over 11 hours either on hold or hearing promises that were just lies from jason pranjali jennifer max pax ronnie alex after 8 days and 3 messages finally got a call from Russ chris haley another different Alex shawn john fonika(a funtional idiot) residio another different john barbarisha langley and in your advanced tech-a dude named thomas hoyt whom after being on hold for 20 minutes waiting for him to finish his coffee and donut was too much of a pussy to even speak with me-actully refused to talk! This is so outragous -you cant even make this stuff up! Ive cancelled the service yesterday and unbelievably today I received a bill on my credit card for a months service. Gentlemen ,get a grip on this situation or I'll be forced to involve the better buisiness beaurou(sp) all I wanted was internet service-service is apparently not in the hughesnet vocabulary. feel free to call-though I know you wont

Dale Las Vegas, NV

My brother lives in Ohio. I ordered Hughes net for him to allow internet connection. After a year went by the trees on his property and the ones next door started to really grow mainly because of the rain. The Hughes net people called and said the signal was bad so they sent out a service person. They said they can reposition if but it will not last long because of the trees. My brother had DIRECTV and it went out because of the bad signal and he had to get rid of the Direct TV. Then we called Dish Network for TV and they said they could not get a strong signal. So, I ordered cable and got both TV and Internet. That meant I would no longer need Hughes net for Internet service. I called and talked to a person in the Philippines. They said I would have to pay $190 as a termination fee. I explained everything as I said above. I said the signal did not allow me to continue. He said he could waive $90 but I had to pay $100. I asked him to look up the property on Google and see that he is surrounded by trees. He did and agreed that was probably the problem but he could not help. My brother is 82 years old and I am 72. $100 is a lot of money for either my brother or me. It is a shame Hughes net treats senior citizens this way.

Amanda Corinth, MS

I tried HughesNet as a part of a package through Dish. As I was on the phone with HughesNet I let them know I was not sure it was sufficient enough for my family because of the speed and GB allotted each month. The sales person told me I could try it for 30 days and if I cancelled before 30 days was up it wouldn't be charged any kind of fees related to cancellation and that I would only be charged for the month of service we used and install. This was an outright lie! We received service on March the 16th. It was very slow and we used up the GB before the month was up. I called to cancel on April the 11th. They were trying to charge me $400 and told me to send back the equipment or pay for it. I argued that when I signed up I would not be charged any kind of cancellation fees. They told me after over an hour of disputing this while telling me they have no 30 day policy they would do me a "favor" and waive the $400 termination fee and equipment fee. They told me not to worry about sending back the equipment either and I would not be charged for it. I played for the installation and month of service we used. I told them that they better not charge my card for anything else after I gave it to them because the whole situation seemed VERY shady. I was told on the phone that we were square and our account was closed and paid in full. On Friday, May the 24th, Hughes Net stole from my bank account $868.25 without my authorization. I was not set up for auto bill pay or anything like that. I used my card with them once which they stated the could charge it whenever and for however much they wanted without any notification. They completely cleaned out my checking account with out warning, phone call, or mail. I did receive an email that had no bill attached and all i stated was I owed $868.27. I didn't even notice the email because I wasn't expecting one from them. I accessed my account to Hughes Net and saw a bill that was generated on May 15th. They attempted to charge my card the very same day for the whole $868.27. Even if the bill was correct and I owed that amount, which I DO NOT just to be clear, the bill online states it wasn't due until June the 14th however they tried to charge my card the very same day the bill was generated. They attempted to charge my card one sometimes two times a day all the way up to Friday May the 24th. I was not aware they were attempting this since the charges were not going through until this past Friday when I unlocked my card and they were able to debit my card for the full $868.27. Needless to say I was livid that they did this after repeatedly telling me that my account was closed and the account was paid in full. Never once did they tell me "Oh by the way, we are going to charge you $868.27 for your loss than one month of service". I was very angry about this and called Hughes Net yesterday. I was reapetedly transferred to different departments explaining the situation each time I was transferred which was very very annoying. When I supposedly got to the correct department which was the collections dept. I discussed the situation with and told them that the sales rep told me if I signed up with them and it did not fit my needs that if I cancelled before the first 30 days were up I would not be charged any fees for cancelling and only charged for the setup and month we used. It was VERY OBVIOUS they did not know what the charge was for and I kept asking them what the details were for this charge of $868 were and they could not tell me. They gave me like four different reasons as to why they charged this amount like the early termination fee, equipment, etc... They also told me they do not offer to charge no fees when you cancel service after 30 days. I told her they told me this when I signed up and I never would have signed up if they did not offer this Luckily I got a reference number when I cancelled showing that they waived these fees and the they come up with something called any early lease termination fee. I kept asking them for a detailed copy of this bill where it shows how they came up with the $868 figure or at least communicate it through the phone and they could not/would not do it because I told them the bill online does not show anything it just states 868 for a Charge. I asked them to speak to a supervisor and the woman I was speaking to kept giving excuses to keep me from talking to the supervisor like they are just going to tell me the same thing. I had to raise my voice and get belligerent so the she finally placed me on hold to get the supervisor. She kept coming back and saying they were busy. She came back a final time after about 30 minutes of being on hold and told me that it would be a long time before I was able to speak to a supervisor. I was SO MAD at this point as it was so clearly evident they were doing this on purpose. I told them they did not have authorization to make this charge of 868 and I would be discussing my charge with the bank and hung up. I called Bank of America to dispute the charge. Bank of America's wait times yesterday were very long. As I was waiting I decided to Google and see if there was a before 30 day cancellation policy because I felt that they were lying about the fact that they offer no such agreement. Look and behold on their legal/terms of service portion of THEIR WEBSITE http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-between-07-01-08-and-09-01-08.cfm, they say they do offer no fees if cancelled within the initial 30 day period. Once I saw this I immediately hung up the phone with BOA because of the wait time and called back Hughes Net. Once again I was transferred all over the place until I was transferred to to the incompetent collection department. I once again had to explain the entire situation again to the new CS rep. I would like to point out that the reps from this department which is hard to describe but they talk in a very monotone voice and just seem like they do not care about anything at all. This rep gave me the same BS as to why they charged me. This rep actually gave me one other reason as to why they charged me. I once again asked her for they details of the charge which she danced around and could not give me on the phone or in print. I once again told her that when I signed up they told me about the 30 day cancellation policy and that I never would have signed up had I known they would charge me 868 for whatever reason for cancelling. She told me once again there was no such policy. I told her it is in print on the legal / terms of service page located ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! She actually asked me for the URL where it stated this. I was completely dumbfounded. It was totally unbelievable that the collections department doesn't know their cancellation policies and where it is stated on their own website. I was speechless but proceeded to direct her to the page I saw. She put me on hold like I had been 1000 times before with this company to "discuss" with her supervisor. After about 5 minutes someone gets back on the phone and it is the first CS rep I spoke to initially. I was so mad my voice stayed permanently raised for the remainder of the time I was on the phone. The first CS rep said I told you that the lease termination. She was completely ignoring the page I had given them about cancelling in the first 30 days. I told her she flat out lied to me about this. She was completely ignoring what I was saying and kept trying to talk over me. I kept asking for a supervisor. She wouldn't flat out tell me no but it was flat out obvious at this point she wasn't letting that happen. I had to get to the point of basically screaming to get her to put me on hold just to check and see if I could talk to the supervisor. This is not the most unbelievable part. The part of the conversation that was the most unbelievable is when they returned the same lady that I was screaming at came back on the phone and stated she was the supervisor. I was in amazement how a company the size of Hughes Net was operating. At this point I had spent a total of 6 hours trying to get this rectified. Throughout this entire ordeal they kept offering me a credit.They would put me on hold to talk to the "mythical supervisor" and then offer me a credit. At first it was $200, the $300, then $400, then when I talked to the phony supervisor she offered me $500 credit. Each time they would offer me a credit they would state we will do you a "favor". This seemed very much a part of their traning to say this however I told them they are not doing me a solid when i want supposed to be charged in the first place. I was so disgusted and so sick of talking to these people I just took the $500. I proceeded one last time to find out the details of what these charges were for. She kept stumbling around the question. Only when I became belligerent with the "supervisor" to get answer I think she was just getting tired of talking to me and told me they do not have access to the billing details and that I would have to talk to billing to get the details. I was in shock at this point. I took the $500 credit. I just thought to myself why would they offer anything if they did not fraudulently do this? They transferred me to billing who handles they credit. I once again explained the situation AGAIN since the "supervisor" said they can see the billing details. Once I was finished explaining thing and the madness of their customer service he calmly said oh I can pull that up. He seemed very sympathetic to my cause. He pulled it up and said the bill was for 2nd month cancellation. I was like OH MY GOD! I told him I cancelled within the first month. He seemed a bit confused why I was billed and he said he would need to go discuss this with his supervisor. Now this entire time I have been on the phone with these crazy customer service reps every time they go and speak to their "supervisor" they come back with an answer that I dont like and when you try to speak with this mythical supervisor that they JUST spoke to they deflect, deflect, deflect. This was no different. The billing guy came back and his empathetic ear changed. He said oh it was an early termination fee. I proceeded to say no, no, no. There was not supposed to be a termination fee. He also said that his supervisor asks where I saw this 30 termination clause. Now it is one thing for a customer service drone not know about what is clearly printed about cancellations. It is a totally mind blowing situation for a supervisor in the BILLING DEPARTMENT not to know what their cancellation policy is. I was physically drained at this point. I had no fight left in me. I believe it is policy to just wear you down when there is a billing dispute and along the way offering credit so I guess my 7 hours of time spent on the phone with them was worth $500. I asked the guy in the billing dept if this is a refund of $500 or if they are just going to credit my closed account with a zero balance and of course he did not have the answer to that and would need to transfer me BACK to the collections department to figure that out. I think my BP rose to unhealthy levels during this whole ordeal and dont think my heart could take another conversation with those people. So I said no thanks and that I would wait and see if it went back into my bank however I'm pretty sure they just put a credit on my closed account because when I log in it had a balance of -$500. In summary, stay VERY FAR away from HughesNet. If you no choice and have to sign up for their service then dont use your debit card with them for anything like paying a bill or setting up service because according to them they can charge it at anytime without your authorization. I am a pretty easy going person and dont get frustrated easily but this company's reps sent my frustration levels through the roof. I have never been lied to by a company as blatantly as this one. As a matter of fact this is the only company I have ever dealt with that has lied and been so overly deceptive to the point of questioning whether I was being punked or not. They are also thieves and when you call them out they try and barter with you in order to keep from maybe doing a charge back. I took the $500 in case BOA is unable to retrieve the money for me. Since this is a large company I'm not sure if they will be able to. I may have screwed myself by accepting the $500. My advice to anyone thinking about using them is to stay very far away. Otherwise if you cancel within a month you will be paying 868 + one month of service + installation, which amounts to over $1000 for one month of service. I tried to login to my account this morning to retrieve my bill and they have completely deleted access my Hughes Net account and have made me unable to access any information about my bill. I believe they have done this to prevent me to do a charge back through my bank. This is so unbelievable the measures they take to steal from people. I would not believe this could happen unless it happened to me personally. This is the most unethical and worst company I've ever dealt with both personally and professionally. This company's business practices needs to be investigated. Please forgive in advance any typos in this review.

mark Lancaster, CA

super slow, sucks, can't wait for contract to end, the problem with this internet is there is a 600ms ping delay this is why you can't use for gaming why because the delay is to slow this is the response speed when you request a page and this is what you should be shopping for is the ping speed not the download speed, so the internet companies can't sell you on this because it varies from house to house so they sell you on download speed that is more constant from house to house its a trick to make money people, so interm you want to find the lowest ping number 5ms (milliseconds) is super fast so hughesnet has a 600ms delay so thats super slow. kinda get it

D Goodrich Virginia Beach, VA

I was a Hughesnet costumer for over two years and I felt stuck. I lost signal everytime it drizzled outside, yet there weren't many options for internet in my area. I also felt misled by the sales person when I purchased my package. I explained what I wanted out of my internet service. I specifically said that I stream television shows and movies regularly from my smart television. After streaming TWO movies all of my data was gone. When I called customer service, the representative said I needed to download shows and movies on my lap top after 1am and then connect it to my television if I want to watch it during the day. What! But I am stuck in a contract. I am in the military and transferred to another city after 2 and a half years. I called to cancel my service and asked how to return the equipment. I was told that I didn't need to return the equipment. Then, the representative told me that service was available at my new location and I told them I was going to shop around before committing. I called back the same week and asked them to tell me their best offer so I could compare. They offered the Gen5 but expressed that I would still not have the data amount to support what I wanted in an internet service. They kept saying that they could suspend my account for two months while I thought about it. I told them I no longer wanted their service and the rep said they regretted to lose me as a customer and to have a nice day. They apparently regretted it so much that they DIDN'T lose me as a customer. They have continued to charge me for the past two months. I called customer service and she told me that my service was never disconnected, I actually AM required to return the equipment, and the department I needed to speak to has an hour wait. So try to call again tomorrow. I am flabbergasted. I deploy soon and need the issue resolved as soon as possible. I cannot believe how Hughesnet has treated me. I caution you, DO NOT TRUST THEM.