SmileDirectClub is one of the largest and cheapest clear aligners (invisible braces) companies in the dental industry. While other large companies will require visits to a dental professional, SmileDirectClub can provide a completely “dentist-appointment free” experience at a fraction of the cost with their remote dentists and orthodontists.

Beginning in 2014, SmileDirectClub has helped over 750,000 people straighten their crooked teeth and transform their smile without the discomfort of conventional metal brackets and wires.

With over 5,000 employees and 300+ SmileShops, SmileDirectClub is experiencing rapid growth.

The Good

• SmileDirectClub Cost
  • Straighter Teeth in Six Months
  • Nighttime Straightening Option
  • Easy Three-Step Process
  • Flexible Pricing Options
  • Teeth Whitening Included
  • Ships Internationally

SmileDirectClub Cost

The average price in the clear aligners industry is around $1,900. SmileDirectClub charges $1,895 for one-time payments — one of the cheapest in the industry.

If customers want to pay monthly payments, they make a $250 one-time deposit along with $85 per month for 24 months. Making monthly payments does end up being a bit more expensive than paying all at once, totaling $2,170. This includes the impression kit (used to help design your treatment plan) and the clear aligners themselves. This price, however, does not include a retainer, which costs an additional $99.

SmileDirectClub is slightly cheaper than other companies within the clear aligners and clear braces industry. This is especially true if you factor in that SmileDirectClub's treatment does not require you to make regular visits to a dental office, so you save on office visit costs.

SmileDirectClub’s prices are much cheaper than traditional metal braces, which can cost around $5,000 without insurance and around $3,500 with insurance.

SmileDirectClub claims that it will straighten your teeth for 60 percent less money than other brands, but this is likely a comparison to metal braces, not a comparison to other clear braces companies.

Straighter Teeth in Six Months

The duration of each customer’s teeth alignment process will vary due to the severity of misalignment. On average, SmileDirectClub can straighten a customer’s teeth after just six months of treatment. This is done by wearing clear aligners (a clear plastic retainer) 22 hours a day for up to around six months. This is generally quite a bit quicker than metal braces and traditional orthodontic care.

Nighttime Straightening Option

SmileDirectClub now offers an even simpler way to straighten teeth — aligners that only need to be worn in the evenings. For those who are not feeling excited to commit to 22 hours of aligner wearing per day, this new nighttime product is the solution. Those who opt for the nighttime option are only committed to wear the aligners for 10 continuous hours a day, most of which should be while you are asleep. Because of the shortened daily wear time, the overall process will take a bit longer, averaging out at around 10 months.

Easy Three-Step Process

There are three steps in the straightening process at SmileDirectClub. This process is similar to most other clear aligners.

1. Making an impression of the teeth — SmileDirectClub will make a 3D image of the customer’s teeth to prepare different sets of clear plastic aligners to straighten the teeth.

The 3D image is made in one of two ways: customers can either visit one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops for a free scan of their teeth. The other option is to pay $49 for SmileDirectClub to send an impression kit to the customers’ homes, which walks customers through taking an impression of their teeth by holding plastic trays with a tasteless putty in their mouth. This creates an impression mold of the customer's teeth so the company can create a 3D representation.

2. Completing the treatment — SmileDirectClub will produce aligners that are specifically designed for each customer and send them to their house. Each set of aligners will be worn for a predetermined time, with each set becoming increasingly straighter, aligning the customer’s crooked teeth along the way.

An orthodontist or licensed dentist will monitor the customer’s progress remotely, eliminating the need for customers to visit the dentist.

3. Purching a retainer — Once the teeth are straightened and the treatment is finished, customers will need to purchase a set of retainers for $99 to be worn at night so the straight teeth don’t move out of place again.

SmileDirectClub recommends that customers purchase a new set of retainers every six months.

Flexible Pricing Options

So how can you pay for SmileDirectClub?

There are two payment options and costs for clear aligner treatment. You can pay all at one, or you can pay monthly.

• $1,895 for a one-time payment
  • $85 monthly payments, totaling to $2,290 (this includes the $250 down payment)

SmileDirectClub accepts payment through Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), and CareCredit.

Depending on your dental insurance plan, you may receive a reimbursement of up to $600 through your insurance provider.

Teeth Whitening Included

SmileDirectClub includes teeth whitening products in its teeth straightening treatment packages at no extra cost. Other companies in the industry will charge extra if you want to include whitening products. This is only available in the United States and Canada.

Ships Internationally

SmileDirectClub is available in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, UK, and Hong Kong.

The Bad

• Down Payment Requirement
  • Retainer Not Included
  • Smile Direct Club Reviews

Down Payment Requirement

SmileDirectClub requires a $250 down payment to begin its monthly payment plan. On top of the cost for the in-home impression kit, it could cost customers around $299 to sign up for teeth aligners through SmileDirectClub.

Retainer Not Included

Not only must you pay $99 for a set of retainers at SmileDirectClub, but the company recommends that you buy a new one every six months in order to keep your teeth straight.

Other clear aligner companies will include retainers as a part of their overall package. In addition, some companies also provide lifetime guarantees, so that in the event that your teeth do need an additional alignment or corrective dental work on your teeth or gums, the cost is covered. SmileDirectClub does not provide such guarantees.

Smile Direct Club Reviews

While BestCompany.com doesn't yet have a large number of customer reviews of SmileDirectClub's services, some customers have expressed frustration with its customer service, often having to wait a long time before getting in contact with a representative to resolve their problems. Other customers have expressed their aligners caused discomfort to their teeth and gums. That being said, straightening your teeth requires teeth to be moved, so some discomfort, especially early on, is to be expected.

The Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub is the largest in-home clear aligners provider in the country and claims to represent around 95 percent of the doctor-directed at-home clear aligner industry. With over 5,000 employees and 300+ SmileShops, the company provides a great product for an affordable price.

Not only do the invisible aligners straighten teeth in much less time than traditional metal braces, they do it in an average of six months. We highly recommend customers in search of straighter teeth to consider SmileDirectClub alongside the other top invisible aligners companies.

2.1

Marlene

October 15th, 2019 Ellsworth, ME DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got my aligners in June of 2018. By Christmas, I had done the six month course. Since my teeth weren't too crooked, just a bit out of alignment since I am 64, I feel that this program worked well for me. It is time to get a new retainer, even though mine feel just as tight as the first time I used them in December 2018.

Oct 15, 2019

Hey Marlene. Thanks so much for the kind review. We appreciate you letting us know about this.

Luka

October 9th, 2019 Plano, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service throughout the process and even in to when you need retainers. They have a call center out of the country (Costa Rica) so you are challenged there in having the rep escalate an issue to anyone that has any power or authority (that's at the TN office), instead they just keep saying, "what can I do to make you smile today." Trying to get a manger to help is like winning the lottery and when you do find one and get their information for the future when you have issues, and you will have issues with anything from broken trays to broken retainers that show up that way, to things just not showing up, that manger ends up leaving. This company needs to work on their customer service skills and customer service process. It's a mess!! I've had to do all the work myself to make sure I get the results I want. Other then 3D print them myself. I am all for a deal but now I look at all the wasted time and stress and know the few hundred dollars I saved over other companies aligners is just not worth it. I think they just expect you to not hold them to the deliver times they tell you and because they have become so popular their turn times are terrible. So if something is wrong with your aligners don’t expect to get a new one for 3-4 weeks there for pushing out your results a full 3-4 weeks. Such potential, but they need a revamp of process, procedures and customer service.

Oct 09, 2019

Hi Luka. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at [email protected] Thank you, Thom

Bridgette Florea

October 9th, 2019 Post Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Honestly, I have loved my progression in how my teeth have been fixed (lots of crowding). HOWEVER, their customer service is SO bad when you are nearing the end. I started in October of 2018, with a projected finish date of April/May 2019. The trays are not terribly comfortable, they scrape your tongue and gums in all the wrong places. I lived on dental wax for MONTHS. However, I figured "no pain, no gain", right? And I could see the changes in my smile. End of treatment, they wanted final pictures, I sent them, they decided to do 3 more months of treatments (no scan, no impressions). I got my trays as expected, did another 3 months. August 17th I went in for a retainer scan, they said I should get my retainers in 2-3 weeks. Two weeks go by and I haven't received an order confirmation, tracking email, nothing. August 31st - customer service says they see no record of my retainer order, but they do see I had a scan. They "escalated" my issue, I was contacted the same day, was told that my "re-evaluation request was approved" after they looked at my scan (I didn't request a re-eval, I got scanned for retainers). They said since my teeth aren't perfectly straight, they will send me 2 more months of trays for no charge and I should have them 4-5 weeks from September 3rd (which would be THIS week). I thought, "Well, no harm in continuing to try to make them perfect." So I emailed back saying "If you think I could benefit from another 2 months, let's do that instead of retainers." They uploaded a 3-D model of the last 2 months' treatment to my dashboard a MONTH ago, so of course I thought they were actually ON THE WAY. Since Sept 3rd, I haven't received an email, a shipping notice, nothing. I have contacted their live chat FOUR times (including today), I have @ them on Twitter (no reply), and all I get from live chat is "We will contact you when your aligners ship" and "We've had a lot of orders come in recently and we're catching up..." Look, I was totally cool with having just retainers, I WAS happy with the way my teeth were - WAY back in August. I have been wearing the same trays for almost 3 months. They are mangled to say the least (I wish I could attach a picture). A 1/2" of the bottom tray has broken off on the left side, the upper one is cracked badly near my right canine tooth, and it's starting to catch on the inside of my lip (again, dental wax is your friend). They don't hold their shape or my teeth in place anymore, I know for a fact my teeth have shifted, I can see and feel it - the only reason I still wear my trays is so my teeth don't get any more f*cked up than they are already getting again. I've expressed my great concern to anyone there that will listen that I don't think the trays I've been waiting on will fit, because it's been so long, my trays are half-broken and my teeth have obviously shifted in the last 2 months. So if my trays don't fit? I'll have to get another scan and wait another 4-5-6-7-8 weeks for new trays and zero honest communication? I'm only HALF paid off at this point, and I just really want to be done - knowing I have to pay them for another YEAR when they're doing nothing, and sending me the last 2 months (someday) that I might not even be able to use...it just makes me sick. I would really like to cut my losses at this point and just get Byte/Invisalign/Candid... I have a bad feeling I'll have to start over anyways.

Oct 09, 2019

Hi Bridgette. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with this review We are disappointed to see this and we are aware of these delays. We are working diligently to have these sent out as quickly as possible. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak directly about this. Best, Thom

Ellen Onwuka

October 8th, 2019 Spring, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started treatment 6 months ago but my gaps didn't close, so they offered to reevaluate and send 2 months of additional alignment. They cancelled the order for my retainers till I have completed the 2 months. I was ok with the arrangement but 6/7 weeks has passed and I have not received my aligners. I have paid them in full and have been calling and begging for them to send me my aligners to no avail. My teeth at this time is worse than when I started the treatment. I will never recommend this company to anyone

Oct 08, 2019

Hey Ellen. We appreciate you leaving us this review. We are aware of our production set back and we are working hard to get all delayed orders out as quickly as possible. Please email us at [email protected] so we can discuss this more. Best, Thom

Erika

October 7th, 2019 Vancouver, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Buyer Beware! They are absolutely horrible. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. My son really wanted to try these. Everything was great until we got to the last set and his teeth were not where there were supposed to be. We went into the store to get new scans. 2 weeks later, we got an email that they could do no more. So, we ordered the retainer. My son was told to continue wearing his last aligners until the retainer arrived. That was in June and it's now October. I have called 7 times and I keep getting lied to about them being shipped. They have given me every excuse in the book. I give up and want my money back. My sons teeth are back to the original state. The aligners he had to wear for MONTHS finally broke. They don't care. Don't waste your money!

Oct 07, 2019

Hey Erika. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We work our hardest to give everyone, who walks in our doors, the smile that they want and deserve. However, we can only work to the extent that our technology allows us. We are definitely concerned to hear about this and we are more than happy to take a look into anything you would like us to. Please email our team at [email protected] Best, Thom

JJump

October 7th, 2019 Woodbridge, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BUYER BEWARE!! This program is HORRIBLE! 😡 I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, you should to!! We bought this program for my daughter and at that point they only had the impression kit available. We did that, her teeth were very difficult but finally had it completed. She started to use the alighners and at first they seemed to be ok but them problems arose and my husband called to complain. We never heard back from anyone but supposedly their system sent an email that wasn't received. Today a "manager" could call me back but when we had problems, called them they couldn't call us back?! Now that there is the new scan available we decided to go and see if it would be better. Now they want tji charge us an additional $99/month for new aligners! They always tell you, you're a client for life, but at a very high expense. They only give a 30 day warranty so if your teeth go ary in 60 days you're plum out of luck. Very disappointed and really sick of seeing their marketing bs!!

Oct 07, 2019

Hi Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to leave us with this review. We strive to be as transparent as possible regarding out Club Warranty by including information about this in the blurple box and on our website at https://smiledirectclub.com/returns/. We would be happy to help with any concerns you have, so please don't hesitate to email us a [email protected] Best, Thom

Nong

October 4th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I made a one time 100% payment, but I did not receive my box after 5-6 weeks. Later I found out that the SmileDirectClub team just cancelled the process of creating my invisible aligner without letting me know. They told me that the payment failed, which was not true :-(

Oct 04, 2019

Hey Nong. Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not typical and is very concerning to see. Please email us at [email protected]ub.com so we can assist you further. Best, Thom

RBrodnax

October 2nd, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can’t believe what has happened to my teeth. I went in for crowding in my lower teeth. The top really just needed rounding. Like everyone else, everything seemed great until I hit month 3. At the 1/2 way check in,I mentioned my concerns-I was developing a gap in my lower teeth and the alignments were not sitting on my teeth correctly. I sent pictures they requested, yet the only reply I received was, “Everything looks great. You are progressing as expected.” Not one of my concerns was mentioned or addressed. So then at month 6, I brought up the same concerns and the gaps were getting bigger. I sent the requested pictures again, and this time, after 1-2 weeks, I was sent to get another scan. Okay, I’m thinking this will get fixed. It took about 4 weeks to get my new set that was for a 3 month extension (9 months total). At first they fit right and seemed to be moving, but the gap was not closing. Then in month 3 (9), I was getting more gaps and my bottom teeth now SCRAPE the backside of my top front teeth. When I first take my aligned out to eat, I can’t even close my mouth correctly to bite. I contacted them AGAIN, sent the pictures AGAIN, after about two weeks went for a scan AGAIN. 6+ weeks later I am getting the run around. Some one will contact you, we will look into this, your Ali gets are in cue...BS! They advertise you will love your smile, I HATE MINE! I never covered my mouth to smile or laugh. Now I catch myself doing it all the time because of the gaps. My teeth are still crooked, just farther apart. And the kicker-the scan of my future smile-they plan to push my bottom teeth out more and the top in. I’m not an orthodontist, but I don’t see how that will fix the gaps or my bottom teeth scraping the inside of the top. This place is a TOTAL rip off. Once you lay out the truth, then they want to tell you to email them and they will fix it. Why was that offered before? I want my money back so I can go get it fixed elsewhere. I sitting at a year-so much for 6 months.

Oct 02, 2019

Hey there. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this. We take pride in all of the care that our team provides and we are disappointed to read your review. Refinements are not uncommon and we definitely want to give everyone the smile that they deserve. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can discuss this further. Best, Thom

T.Hancock

October 2nd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a great experience with Smile Direct Club. I've wanted to straighten my teeth for 20 years, but with a crazy life and limited income, it seemed impossible to get set up with a orthodontist and go to regular visits. Each switch of aligners would irritate my tough for 12-24 hours, but nothing that was super irritating. I got a great and timely response to getting off schedule with changing my aligners. I couldn't have had a better experience changing my smile to the one I've always wanted.

Oct 02, 2019

Hi there! We work hard to make sure every customer has the best experience in the best environment, and we are happy to see that reflected in this review.

Amy

October 1st, 2019 Greenport, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Unprofessional customer service and poor timeline management. I have been shipped several incorrect trays and am currently waiting for a shipment that was supposed to be here over three months ago. Thus, I have been wearing my last set of trays for over four months. Every time I call, they either lie to me and tell me they are shipping soon or say they don't know when I can expect shipment. My little cousin's lemonade stand is a better-run business.

Oct 01, 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, Amy. We have experienced a delay with some orders and are working hard to get updates to customers and prevent this from happening in the future. We are disappointed to hear about your experience and would really like to assist. Please don't hesitate to email us directly at [email protected] Best, Thom

T Rowden

September 30th, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sadly I must review the same as most of the other SDC users here. I have had 4 revisions via multiple customer service representatives. They don’t keep track of your records so you are asked the same questions by all of them, no co-ordination at all. Many of the retainers needed nail clipping as they would gouge your gums and a file would do very little to ease the problem. I cannot recommend using SDC and am pursuing a refund. Their customer service is appalling and frustrating. No support or follow up at all.

Oct 01, 2019

Hey there T. We are concerned to read your review. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak further about this. Best, Thom

Kathy C.

September 26th, 2019 Santa Barbara, CA

I unfortunately would not recommend Smile Club Direct to my friends because of the comfort and poor customer service. I did the 3D scan and that went great. They do not hurt my teeth it’s my tongue and cheeks that hurt especially when when I talk. My liner where made incorrectly and was told I would receive an email in 10 business days for my tracking email for my new liner to be shipped to me. That was 22 business days ago. I was told since so many liners were made incorrectly that is why there is a delay. I think it only took 21 business days to get my original liners. I said to the person they care more about their new customers they their current clients. She didn’t have a reply to that. I’ve told my friends to go with a different company if they want to do it. I would also go with different company too. I am excited to see my teeth getting straighter and love to smile now as my teeth are getting straighter.

Sep 26, 2019

Hey Kathy. Your review is concerning to see. In the event of a delay, we always work to make it right. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Jasmine

September 25th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Complete wast of time. Very rushed, lazy, orthodontal work. Extremely disappointed with the result they provided. They don;t do much of anything; you might as well go get regular braces. Not worth it. Awaiting my refund

Sep 25, 2019

Hi Jasmine. Thanks for leaving us a review. We appreciate the feedback. We typically treat mild to moderate spacing, crowding, and general alignment concerns. Depending on the customer's concerns, clear aligner treatment may or may not be the right treatment for them. We're concerned to hear about your experience. If you have any additional concerns, feel free to send us an email at [email protected] so that we can help. Best, Thom

Sheila Swaney

September 23rd, 2019 Asheboro, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m only on my second week with my first set....I received them in 2weeks from ordering. .I got the night time aligners and already feel a difference. I haven’t had any trouble with them cutting into my gums like others have. I’d highly recommended finding a 3D scan sight like I did. Their very knowledgeable and thorough. It’s worth the time and effort to go. I had one question and called customer service and it was answered promptly. The only thing I hate is taking them out in the morning....can be kinda gross haha But overall I’m please. I’ll do more reviews as time goes on.

Sep 23, 2019

Hey Sheila. Thanks so much for the positive review. We really appreciate it!

Steven

September 23rd, 2019 Flemington, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everything starts ok... great facilities for ‘measuring teeth’ marketing is top class.... however the product and process did not give the results, worse still it creates bite problems evident half way through the process, and now on hold for over 2 months trying to get a new set of slingers for my wife to correct issues caused and created better smile Their customer service is shocking. Takes an eternity to get connected only to find the people that pick up are poorly trained and unable to resolve the issue ...... strongly suggest you go elsewhere

Sep 23, 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, Steven. We strive to provide quick resolutions to all of our customers, so we're disappointed to see this. We would love to make this right, so please email us at [email protected] so we can help with your concerns. Best, Thom

Danielle

September 19th, 2019 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst company i've ever had the displeasure to work with. First of all the braces did little if anything in straightening my teeth. Secondly, the product themselves are cheaply made. I lost count with how many would crack. Thirdly, there billing is horrible. When I set things up I had put it on my Discover card. A few months later I wanted to change it from Discover to my HSA account. Didn't think a problem since I could login and easily change it. Another month goes by and it still comes from out of my Discover card. Okay maybe it takes a billing cycle. Another month goes by still Discover. I sign in and see my payment information is correct. Another month goes by still. It took calling my card and having them do a stop payment and flagged it as fraud before I finally found out that in order to change you payment there is an entirely different company to go through. The biggest issue is that I'm on month 9 and for the last two months I have been wearing the very last set because my retainer still isn't here. Every time you say anything to this company they want to just send you a free retainer or more whitening pens. Straight up this is a horrible company and your teeth WILL NOT GET STRAIGHTENED. I hope this company gets sued one day and put out.

Sep 19, 2019

Hi there, Danielle. We are extremely disappointed to hear about this experience. I'd love to be able to look into this further. Please email our team at [email protected] at your earliest convenience. Best, Thom

SaltLife2686

September 16th, 2019 Canton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Zero contact with them or the so called licensed dentist "overseeing" my treatment. The product is thinly made with cheap plastic. Yes they will move teeth but at this point I'm not "grinnin" also I was just advised in the middle of month 5 that they have lost my records? Also if you call in for anything besides sales expect Poor English Long wait times

Sep 16, 2019

Hey there. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us this review. However, we are concerned to read about this experience. Please email our team at [email protected] to discuss this further. Best, Thom

Dan Snyder

September 13th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible, worst customer service ever. No one at Customer service can help and you have to wait to talk to an account manager. And then they aren't much help either. No contact throughout the alignment process. Only time they contacted was when my payment didn't process and then they were on the phone in no time. And to boot they didn't work. All I want is my money back for these worthless products.

Sep 13, 2019

Hey Dan. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We take great pride in the service that our team provides and your review is extremely concerning to see. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can assist you with this. Best, Thom

Maya J.

September 9th, 2019 Bloomfield, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using SmileDirect since February, with hiccups vary similar to the ones listed. During my last month of aligners, I started noticing gaps between the aligner and my teeth as well - to the point where I knew they were doing absolutely nothing for my mouth. Up until this time, I didn't have any major issues, however I knew my teeth were not going to be complete after the last aligner. After talking with Customer Service, they asked for pictures. I went back and fourth with them for DAYS, as they kept saying they hadn't received the photos, or that I didn't take pictures of my bottoms....when I don't even have bottom aligners (shows how much they paid attention to my case). After a rescan, the worker at the local office instantly noticed the gap the minute I opened my mouth, and said that although it is advised to keep wearing them until the new aligners come in, to just not wear them since they looked terrible and were doing nothing for my teeth. I was told to contact a Customer Service agent immediately after my rescan, to let them no the situation, with hopes they will get the aligners to me as soon as possible. During the call, I was told the aligners will take 3 - 4 weeks, and that they would do what they can for them to arrive faster. After a month with no aligners, a literally called everyday, and was told that they're in process and that they had a lot of orders blah blah blah. So, after 2 months of waiting, I finally got the aligners. 1st month fit great. Started month 2 week 1 on Saturday - and I am seeing the gap again. I am going to hold out this week and see how week 2 fits, but I have to do this process all over again I am literally asking for my money back.

Sep 09, 2019

Hey Maya. We appreciate the review. We are quite disappointed to read about this experience. We would love to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Send an email to our team at [email protected] at your earliest convenience. Best, Thom

Janalyn Memmott

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was very impressed with my office visit and the overall initial experience. But then my first order was all messed up and I didn't get my purple box and only 3 weeks of retainers when my order was for 5 months. I called them, they were great on the phone and credited me $100. I received my purple box, but still no more retainers. I called again. They said my retainers would be here in 3 weeks. I am going on week 3 so I hope they come!! I'm optimistic but the process has been a bit bumpy.

Sep 09, 2019

Hey Janalyn. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are concerned to read about your issues. We always work hard to make sure we get our orders out as quickly as possible. We would love to assist you, so feel free to email us at [email protected] Best, Thom

Troy Anderson

September 4th, 2019 Clifton Park, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Atleast I’m not the only one who feels robbed! All I wanted 5 months ago when I started these worthless things was a little space closed up and I was assured it’d be no problem to be achieved in 6 months.. Ya well here I am, on my last set of aligners and have only noticed bigger and more spaces now. Some of my aligners were even loose! I’m just confused and feel as though it was a waste of money and I was robbed as well! I honestly wish I just got braces again...

Sep 04, 2019

Hi Troy. Your review is definitely concerning to see. In cases where our club members aren't completely satisfied with their treatment, we can continue to work with them until they get the smile they want and deserve. Please email us at [email protected] We are here to help. Best, Thom

Christian Lien

August 26th, 2019 Des Moines, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They sent my aligners to the wrong address.

Aug 08, 2019

Hi Christian, thanks for leaving us a review. We're concerned to see this and would love it if you shared any additional feedback about your experience with us. Please send us an email at [email protected] so that we can make sure your feedback is heard. Best, Thom

Laura L

August 22nd, 2019 Sausalito, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First 3 months were great - SmileBus was amazing, aligners came quickly, quality was great, information available all just fine. After 3 months I noticed a gap, went back for a re-scan (which I didn't mind about particularly). Nearly 2 months later I'm not only still waiting for my new aligners to come, but my continued calls for assistance (and now for refund) have not resulted in any manager return call. I just keep calling, and calling, and tweeting and calling. Initial customer support is great, ongoing customer support is non-existent. This means that, if I accept the new aligners should they EVER arrive, my SmilePlan would go from finishing in September to finishing who knows when but probably over Christmas which totally defeats the point. Very, very disappointed.

Aug 22, 2019

Hey Laura. Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to leave your review. We have experienced an unexpected delay in shipping and we are working quickly to get everyone's orders out. Please send us an email at [email protected] and we can assist you further. Best, Thom

Erinsmith

August 20th, 2019 Astoria, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

my teeth are straight! But it definitely wasn’t perfect along the way. Things that were great: I could visibly notice my teeth straightening almost right away, and the pain on most of the aligners was tolerable and over within a day. They’re extremely easy to use & I loved the free lip balm and teeth whitening with it! (Not super important, but that lip balm is good!) overall I got straight teeth, so they did they the job! Cons: some of the aligners made my gums bleed to the point were I took a nail clipper to them. They said you could use a file but I could never get it to work. The second and largest issue I ran into was them not coming correctly in the packaging. 3 times now (and I still have a month to go) I’ve gotten double top or double bottom aligners. I ended up kind of splitting up the time between the old and the new aligners mid-week. Some other issues were breakage overtime but I’m also a bit of a teeth-grinder so I don’t wanna fully blame that on them and cleaning them with just soap and water was just making them taste like soap so I just took a clean toothbrush to them and it seemed to work fine! Hope this helps!!

Aug 20, 2019

Hey Erin. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We definitely appreciate it. Our aligners are all run through a quality check, so your review is concerning to read. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] if we can be of any assistance. Best, Thom

D.G.

August 8th, 2019 Norwalk, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely the worst company ever! My frustration with this company has hit a boiling point. I am all for using tech to bring products and services to the masses using new methods. Sadly, when delivering services that fall into the healthcare field, there really needs to be ethical oversight and accountability. I signed up with Smiledirect last fall to help my shifting teeth back into position. I was given a 5 month course of treatment. As I was using my last set of aligners, they cracked the first time I used them. I called to inquire about a replacement. I was told that it would take 2-3 weeks. I also mentioned that my teeth were still now where near where they were supposed to be. So, after photos back and forth, I was sent to a local center and had a new scan done. I was told that the new aligners would take 2-3 weeks. I wasn’t happy about this as I now would be without aligners for 3 weeks and obviously, teeth shift back. Well, as it turns out after 3 1/2 weeks I get an email saying they’re on their way….only to find that they had shipped the retainers that I had paid for months ago and had cancelled when I noticed that my teeth were in fact not in position. I was supposedly credited $200 for the screw up and had to wait another 3 1/2 weeks for the correct aligners….which was then held up by Fed Ex for no explicable reason and customer service was useless once again in doing anything to get them delivered. They were shipped next day and it took 5 days to get them. Imagine how thrilled I am that after finishing the 2 month additional correction and…teeth are still not in position. I stopped into the local shop and they agreed but told my I had to contact the website. Which I did…almost a week ago. I have sent photos etc…and still have received no information. I just received a text apologizing for the delay and offering a free set of retainers.(which clearly I am never going to be able to wear and have already paid for) So we are now coming up on a year for what was supposed to be 5 months of treatment, not because of the treatment itself but because of horrendous customer service and response. If you can’t make corrections any faster, you should not be starting new patients. Any now the final insult to injury, I just got a text saying that if I didn’t want to continue the reevaluation process…. Run! I wish that I could leave no stars as an option.

Aug 08, 2019

Hey D.G. All of our cases are overseen by dentists and orthodontists licensed in providing aligner treatment therapy. That said, reevaluation and mid-course adjustments are not uncommon in any aligner treatment, as it helps our dental professionals adapt to how teeth are naturally moving. If you have any further questions on this, feel free to email us at [email protected]

HeretoSaveALife

August 2nd, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The aligners are cheaply made, uncomfortable, & break easily. When you call about your issues your concerns won’t be taken seriously. Once you ask for a refund.. please don’t even bother with thinking you’re going to get your money back because you won’t. I do not recommend AT ALL. Please buy Invisalign . Save yourself the trouble

Aug 02, 2019

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We're disappointed to see this, but we appreciate all feedback. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at [email protected] Best, Thom

J

August 1st, 2019 Mastic, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My son started using the aligners back in October 2018. He was really excited getting started, his teeth were over lapping. Once he started things were great. He hit a bump in the road where he had to have a back molar pulled out. He had to stop using aligners for a month, till his gums healed. He restarted once again. Yes, you experience some discomfort when your teeth are shifting, then again that is expected. Now all of a sudden his top aligners were not staying in. Called up customer service, explained the situation, they set him up with an appointment. He went this morning and was re-scanned. Cindy was our smile guide, she is located in the Hauppauge, NY location. She was very helpful and pleasant. In fact we were at the wrong location she helped him just the same. Now he will have to wait for his new aligners. Thank you!

Aug 01, 2019

J, reviews like this give us motivation and help us ensure we provide high-quality care.

Dan :(

July 31st, 2019 Merrimack, NH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I normally don't take the time to complain or write reviews, good or bad but I want to make sure that people know what can happen to them and what they are getting into. First of all Smile Direct promises the world but in my case and judging by the multitude of negative reviews, when they don't deliver the customer service experience is awful. So I went to Smile Direct and they scanned my teeth. They were very pleasant and told me that I would was a candidate. About 1 1/2 weeks later I received my plan. It showed that it would take 6 months for my plan. I watched the virtual image of my teeth as they should progress over 6 months. I was sold! About 4 1/2 months into the plan I noticed that the new aligners were not fitting my teeth like all the others. I had large gaps between my teeth and the bottom of the aligners which I had not see before. I called and was told this was normal and to stay the course. I sent pictured to show and again this was normal. I continued the plan and at the end my teeth had not changed from when the aligners stopped fitting properly. I contacted Smiles Direct and they authorized a re-scan. I got the re-scan done and brought my aligners with me, they agreed that they had not been fitting properly. They sent the scans to the doctor, who by the way was not a local doctor as they seem to insinuate in their adds. An orthodontist licensed in your area is only licensed there, they may have NEVER practiced in your state. I'm in New Hampshire and after some investigating I found that the orthodontist assigned to my case is from Ohio. (Not very local). A few weeks later I received another plan and then a few weeks after that the new sets of aligners. These were supposed to give me the smile I wanted in 3 months. After about 2 months the aligners stopped fitting my teeth again, I was having the same issues with the aligners. Again I was told this is normal. At the end of the 3 months I had the same issue, my teeth had not moved properly. I again had to send photos and wit for authorization to get re-scanned. Then wait another 2 weeks to get another plan sent to me and was told that it would be 4-5 weeks to get the new aligners. Since the end of the last set I've had to wear the same set of old aligners which have cracked and are no longer any good at keeping my teeth straight, Smile Direct will not put a rush n my aligners so that I can get them before my teeth shift too much. I have been trying to get ahold of a supervisor but have not received a call from one yet. The call center for Smiles Direct will not put you directly through to a supervisor. They have to email them your info and wait for a call. I wish I had never gone through Smiles Direct. The customer service is horrible and they will not work with me to make things right.

Jul 31, 2019

Hey Dan, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and share feedback about your experience. We pride ourselves on providing high quality care to our customers, so this is not in line with our standards. We’re disappointed to see this and would like to help make this right. Please reach out to us at [email protected] so that we can assist further. Best, Thom

Ziggy

July 24th, 2019 Glendale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All things started well and I was excited to finally get a smile that I would be happy with as I had some minor crowding with 2 teeth. Mid course, I felt I was getting an open bite that I did not have before so I requested to be rescanned at 3 months (my entire treatment plan was for 5 months) for a mid course adjustment. After a few days and several phone calls I was told to stay the course of my original plan which I did. All of a sudden I started receiving emails saying welcome to the “club” and please check in with your new aligners. After numerous calls telling them I didn’t just start the program they finally stopped sending me the emails. Every time I called customer service to explain that I felt “lost in their system” they have canned answers on why...their computers went down...IT is very busy, etc, etc, etc. I have now completed my 5 month plan and it did not resemble the 3D scan on my dashboard as one tooth had not completely turned. I was approved for a refinement and when my refinement plan was put on my dashboard it was worse than when I started 5 months ago and it said it was for ANOTHER 5 months. I called customer service who looked at my dashboard and agreed something was terribly wrong and she would escalate it to the “dental team” and they would re-evaluate and get back to me in 1-3 days. That’s where I am right now and if I do not hear from them with a satisfactory refinement plan in 1-3 days and new aligners within 2 weeks I will be suing in Small Claims Court. Buyer BEWARE!

Jul 24, 2019

Hey Ziggy. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us this review. Your experience is very concerning to see, and we are more than happy to speak with you more about this. Please send an email to us at [email protected] so we can assist you further. Best, Thom

Gregory Hayes

July 12th, 2019 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received smile direct club in April of 2019. I was pretty excited for the experience and how my results would come about. everything started well but went down hill quickly. I had to resend my aligner back twice and waited a month each time before I could get them back. Each time maybe two weeks into the process my aligners wouldn’t fit. I went ahead and finally asked for a refund and they have Decided to refund me in full for their mishaps which I appreciate. The thing is they have not tended me all the money they said they will in their legal document given to me and have only given me a third of what they owe. Only one person on there staff has been very helpful but everyone else has been giving me the run around about money that is nowhere to be found right now. I honestly wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone as they are horrible with their business plan and customer service in most areas. I never have even written a review on any company before but this was the worst consumer experience I have ever had in my life. Hopefully I get the rest of my refund soon.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi Gregory. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at [email protected] Thank you, Thom

Angelina Bit

July 12th, 2019 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service ever. First of all, I wasn’t their perfect candidate. I had my 4 wisdom teeth growing perpendicular deep in gum and to have a result they promised they had to be extracted. That’s why I have suffered so much with no result and paying for nothing. Plus if some aligned doesn’t fit well and you have to reorder it , get ready to wait about 5weeks. Meanwhile you teeth’l will shift to some other position and new aligned won’t fit as well. Tried to fight with them providing XRays etc, no result. That’s a SCAM and FRAUD. Aware !

Jul 12, 2019

Hi Angelina. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We're disappointed to see this, but we appreciate all feedback. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at [email protected] Best, Thom

Chloe Adams

July 1st, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My sister was so excited to try Smile direct club. I paid for it as a birthday/ Christmas gift and was sorely disappointed. The service was alright but I didn’t see a change in her teeth. Maybe it will work for others but it didn’t work for us. We received a small refund.

Jul 08, 2019

Hey Chloe, thanks so much for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. If there's anything that we can do to assist, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] We are always here to help.

Kim K.

June 24th, 2019 Humble, TX

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. I received my shipment in a timely manner. On week 3-4 my aligners didn't fit properly. I contacted customer service as instructed. On the phone for an hour. I received an email stating 10-14 days. I called back and they told me it would be 10-14 business days. I called back and told me there was an issue in the lab and someone would contact me. Well fast forward a month and still NOTHING. Asked for a refund and still no one has contacted be or told me what to do. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM......

Jul 08, 2019

Hey Kim. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at [email protected] Thank you, Thom

Jason

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked using Smile Direct Club because of their price. They were affordable and the results of the invisible braces were great.

//5

Tracy Hill

June 20th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I thought my invisible braces were pretty expensive from this brand but I am happy with my results so I think it was worth it. They were very helpful.

Jul 08, 2019

Hey Tracy. Thanks for the feedback. We try our best to be as competitive as possible, as we are 60% less the price of other teeth straightening options. Please let us know if we can do anything to assist by reaching out at (800) 688-4010.

M. G.

June 18th, 2019 Piscataway, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just received my aligners on 6/12 and nothing but problems. Very sharp edges. I did as instructed and still no help. My mouth/under my tongue is torn and sore bc of the aligners. Received a response from the dental team which they were informed wrong so I emailed them back after speaking to someone on the phone and through fb messenger about my concerns just to relay the message incorrectly . They are flimsy and the tool they give you bends them to much to where they will not return to there natural state. We shouldn’t have to be responsible as consumers to correct any defects not knowing what the perfect precision is needed to comply with comfort . We pay a lot into this not to have this headache. Unacceptable and very disappointed. They’re still looking into this and a possible refund.

Jul 08, 2019

Hi there. We appreciate your feedback, and we do work hard to make things right in any instance of dissatisfaction. First and foremost, we'd like to clarify that aligner fit issues can occur within any aligner treatment, as there's no way to predict exact tooth movement. In this event, our scans allow our dental professionals to gain insight into how the teeth are moving and account for that moving forward. This aspect of treatment is clearly outlined in our Consent and History form that all customers sign before beginning treatment. Our team aims to provide this advising as quickly as possible, and in the event of any delays, we certainly work to make things right. Feel free to email us anytime at [email protected] Best, Thom

Jody lozier

June 18th, 2019 Woodland, ME DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely horrible company! Do not do business with them! I have had nothing but trouble with them and my daughters teeth aren’t even any straighter.

Jul 08, 2019

We're concerned to see this, Jody, as we take great pride in the product and care that we provide to our customers. Please send us an email at [email protected] so we can assist. In addition, our Customer Care team is available 24/7 via phone, chat, social media, and email. Best, Thom

Douglas Kaplan

June 18th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Small Claims Court (2nd half of review) and My Experience: DO NOT USE SMILE DIRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I decided to use Smile Direct because I simply had a few crooked teeth. I had braces as a child and a few teeth had shifted. I went in and was told I should expect an incredible result. I was of course excited. I thought what a great decision I had made…. Long story short I began treatment and wore my aligners religiously. About 3 months in I noticed my teeth were being pulled inward and my front teeth began to line up right over each other. Additionally I noticed my 4 front teeth on the right side of my mouth had begun to chip away! I reached out to customer service very alarmed. They told me to finish the treatment. I was apprehensive but I did as I was told. After 5 months I had finished my treatment but my teeth to my horror felt terribly wrong and my chipped teeth had further chipped. I went to an orthodontist and found out the horrible truth. The treatment had moved my teeth so now my back molars do not and cannot touch anymore (this is where all your chewing power should be absorbed) and only my front teeth touch. I was rushed into a $6,500 invisalign program to prevent what they said in a year would have been no front teeth! I couldn’t eat properly for another 3 months. DO NOT USE SMILE DIRECT! They do not care about you or your teeth at all. If you run into a problem you are NOT working with a Company equipped to help you or fix the problem they are causing. They simply do not connect with the customer correctly for such a serious type of procedure. ********* Legality (I used them was owed money but couldn't get them to do the right thing): I spent the next 7 months trying to get my money back and they would only refund my money if I would sign a stringent release of liability. I disputed the charges on my CC and they fought tooth and nail! Small Claims Court – I decided to go to 111 Centre Street near the Canal street stop off the 6 train and sue them in small claims court for what was owed. THIS IS THE ROUTE I FELT NECESSARY TO TAKE! See below how I did this (I AM HAPPY I DID): - I Simply went to the 3rd floor to room 322 they opened at 9am (I was able to sue up to $5K) - At the window I let them know I needed the small claims court paper. I wrote at the top SMILEDIRECTCLUB LLC and then used the address for the location I went to. THAT’S IT! - I was given the option to pick the date for which I would have my day in court. - I showed up to my court date and SMILE DIRECT did not show! In this case I explained my case to an arbitrator and received a judgment for almost $5K. - I felt this was the best way to deal with Smile Direct as they have no interest in doing the right thing. My experience was so traumatizing and horrifying that I felt it necessary to write my story to warn people of this disgusting company. Please feel free to comment and I will do my best to answer any questions anyone may have.

Naturalist45

June 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You make a down payment they took over 4 months to send my invisaligns. I was so upset...Customer service is rude and I still am without treatment paying $2,000 dollars. This company is a joke. I got offered a free retainer for the inconvenience but I am only giving them until the end of the month to send my replacement I can't even talk in my invisaligns I can only wear them at night..:(or they will be refunding me in FULL..

Jul 08, 2019

Hi there. We're disappointed to see this, as we take pride in the customer care our team provides. We always want to remain transparent and work to make things right in the event of an unforeseen delay. Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you would like to speak directly about this. Best, Thom

Rylie Crandall

May 28th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Smile direct clubs advertising closely matched what they actually offered. I was happy with the results

Jul 08, 2019

Hi Ryle! We're thrilled to see this.

Jessica

April 16th, 2019 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy way to straighten my teeth. Love getting everything in one box. When I had a issues with one of my liners and I was able to email them and get a response on how to handle the problem within minutes and it was on a weekend which was amazing. Only reason I don’t want to give 5 stars cause I haven’t completed my full 6 months and haven’t seemed the end results

Jul 08, 2019

Jessica, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Ann Schreck

April 8th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved that I could do the “evaluation” at home by filling out a profile, submitting pictures and (later) my impressions. I thought my teeth had a little bit of work and this would be a convenient solution. After finishing all the trays, I had a noticeable gap in my front teeth and my bottom teeth hadn’t corrected well at all. I tried to get a follow up with the company but I was told I didn’t send my final impression in for my retainer so it was too late. When I explained why I didn’t want a retainer when my teeth weren’t corrected, I was sent another impression kit for a retainer. I was informed I was paying for a second retainer (even though I never got the first one I paid for). After that I was told I could start over with a new set of trays (and another full payment). I went to an orthodontist for traditional braces. He said trays would not have been able to correct my bite issues and with the improvements since, I see the time and money with SmileDirect Club were a waste. This was an expensive lesson.

Jul 08, 2019

Hi Ann. Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. All Smile Plans are approved by our duly licensed dentists and orthodontists. Every customer has the opportunity to speak with our dental team if they have concerns about their treatment. We are always free to chat with you at [email protected] Best, Thom

Katrina

March 21st, 2019 Rochdale, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Took like 8 weeks to get the aligners but whatever. Thought it was good. My teeth were becoming straight the first couple trays were awful pain but I was prepared for that. Then it's almost time for the aligners to be finished and now I have a gap I reach out to them and do the whole process all over to get refinements. they didn't help at all the gap is still there and now my bottom teeth are slightly crooked. I gave up and reached out to get a retainer Jan 29 2019 I was told it would take 2-3 weeks on the 3rd week I reached out they said they would be there 7-10 days. It's been almost 2 months since I ordered my retainers I haven't received them and every tome I reach out to them they just tell me someone will contact me and yet no one ever contacts me. I've been wearing my last sent of aligners since I don't have the retainers and my teeth are moving since these aligners are basically just slipping off because they don't fit. I'm so over smile direct club and I wish I never did it. Don't be scammed by the cheap price because they do you so dirty. The customer service sucks they take forever to answer and they never help you or deliver your products on time.

Jul 08, 2019

Hi Katrina. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the efficient and convenient experience, we aim to offer our customers. In the event of a delay, we will certainly work to make things right. We aren't able to address any specific case publicly due to HIPAA laws. We'd love to be able to help you out, though. Please email us at [email protected] so we can discuss. Best, Thom

Anessa

March 6th, 2019 Marion, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started my aligners in September 2018, projected I'll be done March 2018. I did at home impressions, I received the kit in 2 days. Did the kit, sent it back, did payment, and received my aligners 2-3 weeks after that (estimated time is 3-5 weeks). All my aligners have fit and been no more painful than expected of moving teeth. No cavities have come from it, no gum problems, just movement and improvement! SDC has been amazing to me since day one. I recommend it to everyone and even my mom has begun doing her aligners too. It's cost effective, cheaper and faster than braces. As long as you don't have severe teeth issues- SDC can definitely help you. My biggest insecurity is now one of my favorite part about myself. I also signed up to be an Ambassador for them, and help others with questions and information about SDC, I will receive commission for anyone who uses my code and orders aligners.

Jul 08, 2019

Anessa, we're delighted to read your review!

Brianna

March 1st, 2019 Everett, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received a product that does not fit .

Jul 08, 2019

Hi, Brianna. Thank you for your feedback. It's always our goal to provide safe and healthy treatment to all of our customers. Our dental team is available to advise over any concerns, and we hope you will reach out to them directly at [email protected] Thanks, Thom

McKenzi Seggerman

March 1st, 2019 Beaverton, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best choice Ive ever made!! Ive hated my teeth for years and now, just 3 months in Im smiling confidently! Customer service is amazing, the process is easy and everyone involved is so kind

Jul 08, 2019

McKenzi, we are so happy to read such a great review about SmileDirectClub!