NewSmile

7.1

Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $84 paid over 12 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

bookmark

Featured Review

Charlotte Duluth, MN

I have an amazing experience with the whole process even until I got my aligners. They keep updating you too.

Reply from NewSmile

We are happy to give you an amazing experience. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Jan. 13th, 2021

bookmark

Featured Review

Deanna Rosa Bristol, CT

My appointment was with Angel and she was amazing. My lower jaw is oddly long and narrow but she was trying every thing possible to try and get the impressions as best as possible. She and everyone I have worked with at NewSmile have been amazing

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for your feedback. We really care and want you to smile more! We are happy to be with you in your NewSmile Journey! :)

Jan. 15th, 2021

Nathan Zeng Montreal, QC

The impression part doing at home is a bit challenging, but the customer service was very good.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Nathan! Thank you so much for leaving your feedback. We really appreciate it. Just message us any time if you have any questions. :)

Apr. 7th, 2021

AmandaWindsor Toronto, ON

Sarah was exceptional in trying to find a way for me to be able to get my aligners ordered. She went above and beyond the expectations of customers service. I can't wait to get my kit and start my journey to a greater smile.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy to hear about it. We are always here to help. We are so happy to be a part of your NewSmile Journey!

Jan Gray Dartmouth, NS

They sent an outdated return package label

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Jan! This has been sorted out, we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Treasured Memories By Ann ,

Sam was friendly, knowledgeable, and gave excellent instruction during the impression process. I can't to get the preview of my new smile!

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience with us! Thank you so much for sharing. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. :)

Romina D. Laval, QC

I had the pleasure of having Sarah to help me choose the best options for my newsmile plan! I am so grateful this was the best birthday gift I could ever have!!!

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience. Thank you so much for sharing. We are excited to be in this NewSmile Journey with you!

Abigail Mbesa Dallas, GA

I had already did my impressions before the session. I got a email from Sarah so I acted on it did my impressions tied mess up the first two but hope the other set will do.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you sharing your experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Gowrish Kumar Bollur ,

The service was quick n easy, The staff were friendly and helpful. Also cleared all my doubts

Reply from NewSmile

We are so glad to hear about this. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Just message us if you have any questions. Keep Smiling!

Kless Van Nuys, CA

The staff was helpful and professional. I’m disappointed it has taken more then 3 months just to get my impression done. Now I have to wait two more months until I can possibly start my treatment.

Reply from NewSmile

We truly appreciate you sharing this with us. Rest assured that we are taking action for our customers to have the best experience. Please feel free to contact us so we can check this order. Thank you so much for your time!

GIOVANNA TANZI Cassville, NJ

I enjoyed working with Shaira at NewSmile to create my teeth impressions. She was patient, supportive and informative. Thank you.

Reply from NewSmile

It is so nice to hear about your experience. Thank you so much for sharing! We are so happy to be with you on your NewSmile journey. :)

Isabel Michaud Pierrefonds, QC

Service with Shaira was excellente. She was very patient and explained well.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so glad to hear about your experience. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Just message us anytime if you have any questions. :)

Danah Aguilar Scarborough, ON

Angel is so nice and very helpful to me!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback! We really appreciate it. :)

Susie KOVECSES Toronto, ON

They have been very friendly and easy to deal with

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We are always here to help. Just message us anytime!

Jen Thunder Bay, ON

Shaira was a delight! So nice and patient. She made the process easy and fun.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. Keep Smiling! :)

Craig Lockhart Denver, CO

great experience with Shaira assisting me with the impressions process

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We totally appreciate it. Just message us if you have any questions. :)

Uno de Many Fraser, MI

Spectacular customer service! Quick to respond!

Reply from NewSmile

We appreciate you for leaving your feedback. We are happy to hear about your experience. Keep Smiling! :)

Vagisha Barwal Montreal, QC

It was great. Angel helped me in taking my impressions nicely. Hope it gets passed.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are so happy to be with you in your NewSmile Journey. :)

Stephane G Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, QC

Thus far i am very pleased with the communication and the web meeting for the impressions

Reply from NewSmile

We are so glad to hear about your experience! We are very thankful for you taking the time to leave a review. :)

Danielle Silbernagel Saskatoon, SK

I had a an appointment with Sam for my impressions and she was not available at the time. I emailed the New Smile team and Sam responded promptly and was able to get me in, thankfully as I was unsure when I would be available again next. She was thorough, patient, and efficient.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you so much! :)

Shawn McMahon Wausau, WI

Gem was very helpful and patient with me as we did my impressions together. Thank you

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback. We are always here to help! Just let us know if you have any questions. :)

Lydia Van Ottawa, ON

So far so good, customer service is great! Just wish that the process of getting started didn’t take so long, I paid a month and a half ago, and just did impression, now it will be another 2 months before I can start!!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and leaving your feedback. Rest assured that we will use this for the betterment of our service. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Mallika Mehta Burnaby, BC

Very supportive and knowledgeable staff.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback. We really appreciate it!

Janine Hutchison ,

Excellent customer service and responsiveness! But the process to receive the actual aligners is quite long compared to other providers.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. Thank you so much! We are always doing our best to give you a great experience. :)

Louise Pedersen Bonnyville, AB

Great customer service. Timely response. Great price. Friendly assistance.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience with us. Thank you so much for giving us your feedback. :)

Amanda Shiels Portage la Prairie, MB

Very nice, patient, and professional. Very helpful

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience. It really means a lot to us! We are always here to help. Keep smiling! :)

Erinn Shea Vancouver, WA

I had a hard time getting my HSA to work. New Smiles customer care specialist Sarah was so amazing helping me get through the process. It took a few days but I just ordered my aligners and can't wait to see a brighter and straighter smile in the future!

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience. Thank you so much for letting us know. We are so happy to be with you on your NewSmile Journey! :)

Peter Spence , ON

Putty & impression moulds arrived loose in a small envelope. No return address or postage paid box. I would recommend the competition as they send things in a box with free return shipping.

Ally Calgary, AB

Was sceptical as it is a smaller company but it was a good price and I have been wanting to straighten my teeth for a long time. I got my teeth impression kit quickly, sent them back and got my aligners a few months later. I just started my first set. So far so good. Definitely some discomfort for the first couple days but overall a good company. The box had some whitening, instructions, a case for my aligners and a retainer for when I’m finished. Very happy so far!!

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Ally! We are so happy to hear about your experience and thank you so much for sharing it. We truly appreciate it and we are glad to be a part of your New Smile Journey! Keep smiling! Just message us if you have any questions. :)

Feb. 16th, 2021

eric madsen Radcliff, KY

So far everything has been great. The customer service is excellent. Just waiting to see how the process works with developing my set. Hopefully it all works out and no additional delays. I also didn’t know that NewSmile had took over Smilelove. Looking forward to the next step.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Eric! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We really appreciate it. Just contact us if you have any questions. :)

Feb. 16th, 2021

Donna Dumas Hamtramck, MI

I wish they would have sent both sizes of the trays. That was an inconvenience..However, the rep was very helpful

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for this feedback. We really appreciate it! Rest assured that we will be doing our best to make things more convenient for our lovely customers. :)

Feb. 12th, 2021

Janelle dean Dawson Creek, BC

Fantastic she was very helpful when doing my Impressions

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback. We really appreciate it. :)

Cathie Saskatoon, SK

I like the pricing and payment options that NewSmile offers. The only negative so far is the advance requirements you need (like dentist approval, X-rays, etc), but don’t know until after the impression session. Trish was amazing in the impression session, very knowledgeable and she was good at communicating.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time for us. :)

Addy Parsons Windsor Junction, NS

Shaira was great. She was very helpful and kind. I am very glad they offer the impression sessions, there is definitely a skill to it.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to know that you have a great experience. We are always here to assist you! Thank you so much for the feedback. :)

Ciara D ,

So far so good. Customer service has been pleasant and appointment was booked promptly.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. It really helps us a lot! :)

Robin Brodrick Montreal, QC

This was such a great experience! I had my appointment with Shaira and it went smoothly! She was very patient and took me through all the necessary steps!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience! We really appreciate it. We are always here to help. :)

Nnavery Saskatoon, SK

I haven’t received any products yet.... but I am very please with costumer service via email and phone. Sarah was wonderful. Price match was given pronto.... Payment is made.... so excited to start the journey! 😁

Reply from NewSmile

We are so happy to hear about your experience. We are also so excited to be a part of your New Smile Journey! :)

Michelle O Petawawa, ON

Very happy after working with the smile consultant trish. She was concise, friendly and knowledgeable. Just gave the company a 4/5 rating because it took 3 weeks to book the consultant time and it took a few weeks to get the impression kit in the mail. Would have given a 5/5 if it was a quicker process.

Reply from NewSmile

We really do appreciate your feedback and we are working towards giving you a much better experience. Thank you so much for your time!

Jan. 29th, 2021

Don't do it Niverville, MB

My experience started with having to wait 3 weeks for an appointment, and then getting no showed twice. New smile refunded me $50 for the inconvenience and rescheduled my appointment(worked out to about $8 per hour of my time spent dealing with this) I then discovered I require larger trays. I am currently waiting for them to ship so I can start the process again. These excessive wait times are ridiculous and I wish I never gave them my money.

Reply from NewSmile

We’re sorry for providing the wrong tray, and apologize that there may be slower shipping times with Canada Post and other couriers. We look forward to getting your aligners to you and helping you get a new smile once we receive your impressions back.

Jan. 29th, 2021

Kim Paquette Sept-Iles, QC

Trish was friendly and ponctual. We took a little bit more than a hour to complete the print process but I did not feel any pressure at all even if it was a little bit longer than the time allowed ( my fault) I'm french Canadian and a little rusty in english, but Trish did not look bothered about me asking to repeat many time. Thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you sharing your experience and we are glad that you have a wonderful experience. It is our pleasure to help and put a smile on your face. Thank you so much! Just reach out anytime if you have any questions. :)

Jan. 28th, 2021

Chase_vaseleou West Jordan, UT

Great price, quick shipping of impression kit. Trisha did a get job helping me do the impressions via video call. Waiting now for my treatment plan and trays.

Reply from NewSmile

We are glad to hear that you have a good experience. We are always happy to help. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Jan. 25th, 2021

Shahi Teruko Scarborough, ON

So far it's been good. Today I had a videochat with one of the NewSmile specialists and she helped me make my impressions. It would have been successful except I need larger trays to fit my mouth. Gem was very pleasant to work with today! :)

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We really appreciate it. :)

Jan. 25th, 2021

Katie Simpson ,

Trish was great! She was friendly and informative. She would take the time to explain, then provide support and guidance.

Reply from NewSmile

It is so nice to hear that you have an amazing experience with us. Thank you so much for leaving your review! We really appreciate it. :)

Jan. 20th, 2021

Cynthia B Calgary, AB

My experience to date has been wonderful - I couldn't possibly say enough good things. Sarah on the other end of my emails has been patient, happy to explain and re-confirm a few questions for me, and my impression session with Trish was outstanding - drool and all! I look forward to receiving my plan and aligners, retainers, and whitener!

Reply from NewSmile

We are so glad to hear that you have an amazing experience. We will always be here if you have any questions. Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful feedback. Stay safe and smiling. :)

Jan. 19th, 2021

Marlene Carreiro Ham Kanata, ON

very friendly and very patient with me. (I tend to gag when things are in my mouth) soo excited to start.

Reply from NewSmile

We are also excited and happy to be a part of your New Smile journey! Thank you so much for your feedback. Keep Smiling. :)

Phaya P Saint-Pascal, QC

G was very patient with me. Thank you!!!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you also for your feedback! We are always here to help. :)

Enid Loera ,

Amazing customer service staff very friendly

Reply from NewSmile

We are always here to help! Thank you for your review. :)

Kerri Chilliwack, BC

The virtual meeting to assist with my impressions was great. Gem, my helper was very patient and helpful!

Reply from NewSmile

We are happy to hear about your experience! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Marianne Sherbrooke, QC

The delay between each step has been extremely long and my case, which was a little bit more complicated than other normal cases, has been handled by multiple employees, which did not communicate well together. I had to repeat myself a lot, which made the process even longer. I made my initial payment in June 2020 and still haven’t received feedback on the photos I sent. I asked for a refund which was refused due to the policy. The last employee I have been in contact with was a lot more helpful and things have been a lot more efficient since she is the only one im charge of my case. If I knew this was going to be this long, I would have paid more and I would have gone with an orthodontist for invisalign.

Reply from NewSmile

This is not the experience we want you to have as a valued customer. We sincerely apologize for all the delay. It might be a result of our promos and sale so shipping pickup and deliveries were delayed, and sometimes lost. We are sorry for the deliveries, and it was an unprecedented and unique 2020 year with many challenges. We are already checking on this matter and rest assured that it will be a better experience moving forward. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help with.

Lindseyschmidt Saskatoon, SK

Good experience, helpful customer service, and quick delivery of the impression kits.

Reply from NewSmile

We are always happy to help you! Thank you so much for this review. :)

Jan. 15th, 2021