Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $37 paid over 24 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

View Best Invisible Braces Companies

Charlotte

December 1st, 2020 Duluth, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have an amazing experience with the whole process even until I got my aligners. They keep updating you too.

Jan 13, 2021

We are happy to give you an amazing experience. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Deanna Rosa

January 9th, 2021 Bristol, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trish was great. She was super supportive and patient with me. I really felt like I wouldn't have done a good job with out her. It's really nice knowing there are people who care and want your treatment to go well!

Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback. We really care and want you to smile more! We are happy to be with you in your NewSmile Journey! :)

Shahi Teruko

January 21st, 2021 Scarborough, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far it's been good. Today I had a videochat with one of the NewSmile specialists and she helped me make my impressions. It would have been successful except I need larger trays to fit my mouth. Gem was very pleasant to work with today! :)

Katie Simpson

January 19th, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trish was great! She was friendly and informative. She would take the time to explain, then provide support and guidance.

Jan 20, 2021

It is so nice to hear that you have an amazing experience with us. Thank you so much for leaving your review! We really appreciate it. :)

Cynthia B

January 18th, 2021 Calgary, AB DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience to date has been wonderful - I couldn't possibly say enough good things. Sarah on the other end of my emails has been patient, happy to explain and re-confirm a few questions for me, and my impression session with Trish was outstanding - drool and all! I look forward to receiving my plan and aligners, retainers, and whitener!

Jan 19, 2021

We are so glad to hear that you have an amazing experience. We will always be here if you have any questions. Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful feedback. Stay safe and smiling. :)

Marlene Carreiro Ham

January 16th, 2021 Kanata, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very friendly and very patient with me. (I tend to gag when things are in my mouth) soo excited to start.

Jan 18, 2021

We are also excited and happy to be a part of your New Smile journey! Thank you so much for your feedback. Keep Smiling. :)

Phaya P

January 16th, 2021 Saint-Pascal, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

G was very patient with me. Thank you!!!

Jan 18, 2021

Thank you also for your feedback! We are always here to help. :)

Enid Loera

January 16th, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazing customer service staff very friendly

Jan 18, 2021

We are always here to help! Thank you for your review. :)

Kerri

January 16th, 2021 Chilliwack, BC

The virtual meeting to assist with my impressions was great. Gem, my helper was very patient and helpful!

Jan 18, 2021

We are happy to hear about your experience! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Marianne

January 15th, 2021 Sherbrooke, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The delay between each step has been extremely long and my case, which was a little bit more complicated than other normal cases, has been handled by multiple employees, which did not communicate well together. I had to repeat myself a lot, which made the process even longer. I made my initial payment in June 2020 and still haven’t received feedback on the photos I sent. I asked for a refund which was refused due to the policy. The last employee I have been in contact with was a lot more helpful and things have been a lot more efficient since she is the only one im charge of my case. If I knew this was going to be this long, I would have paid more and I would have gone with an orthodontist for invisalign.

Jan 18, 2021

This is not the experience we want you to have as a valued customer. We sincerely apologize for all the delay. It might be a result of our promos and sale so shipping pickup and deliveries were delayed, and sometimes lost. We are sorry for the deliveries, and it was an unprecedented and unique 2020 year with many challenges. We are already checking on this matter and rest assured that it will be a better experience moving forward. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help with.

Lindseyschmidt

January 15th, 2021 Saskatoon, SK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good experience, helpful customer service, and quick delivery of the impression kits.

Jan 15, 2021

We are always happy to help you! Thank you so much for this review. :)

Justine Hanson

January 14th, 2021 Stevens Point, WI

Had a great experience with the impression session. She walked me through the entire process and was very informative! Over all a great experience.

Jan 15, 2021

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! Thank you so much and keep smiling. :)

Jamie

January 14th, 2021 Vancouver, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far I’ve had a great experience! Trish helped me with my impression kit and she was very professional and helpful! I can’t wait to get started! Thank you!

Jan 15, 2021

We are excited to be with you every step of the way to your NewSmile! :) Thank you so much for the review.

Lucia C

January 12th, 2021 Toronto, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far so good with NewSmile! Impressions went well. Gen was patient and so good with helping. My journey is not over with NewSmile but so far so good.

Jan 15, 2021

We are so happy to be in with you on your NewSmile Journey. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Liak

January 12th, 2021 Ottawa, ON

Very friendly and willing to listen people

Jan 13, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to help! :)

Donna Marie Kerfoot

January 12th, 2021 Surrey, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great, pleasant helpful, informed staff.

Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much for this feedback. We appreciate it!

Guljit

January 10th, 2021 Saint-Lambert, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very helpful and patient agents. I had questions answered well

Jan 15, 2021

We are always here to help! Thank you so much for the review. :)

Amanda Bee

January 8th, 2021 Toronto, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience so far with New Smile has been nothing short of amazing. From answering all of my questions to ensure I was comfortable, to fast shipping of my impression kit, assistance with finding the most ideal time for my impression appointment, and having live one on one assistance to make my impressions. Trish was very patient and made the process fun. I felt assured I got the best impressions. Cant wait for my aligners. Thanks New Smile!

Jan 15, 2021

We really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

Elias Kajjouni

January 8th, 2021 Pointe-Claire, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Im at the beginning of the process i feel that customer service is behind us to make it a great experience.. will see further down the road

Jan 15, 2021

We are happy to give you the best service! Always feel free to reach out if you have any concerns. Thank you for the review! :)

Amyblogs

January 8th, 2021 Sarnia, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Impression kit process has been wonderful so far! A little bump in the road, but nothing is needed but a little patience. Trish makes you eellike you are not a lone while doing your impressions and walks you through everything you need to do. Its like she is with you in the room! My first impressions did not take, so I am now waiting for a new shipment of putty to continue. Hoping for a quick shipment across the country :)

Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much for this feedback. We really appreciate it. :)

Dawn Hayward

January 7th, 2021 Humboldt, SK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Received the kit very quickly. My 14 yr old was able to do the impressions herself. Everything done in 30 minutes, and shipped back:)

Jan 14, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! :)

Something New

January 5th, 2021 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received my impression kit. I was excited when my video conference started. My rep was very patient and helpful. I couldn’t finish the impressions due to my teeth not fitting the trays. Note: if you have crowding and long teeth request larger trays from the start.

Jan 14, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience. We advise that if the mouth is larger than the regular size you may request for a larger tray, if you were not able to request for one right away, we will send you another tray for free. :)

Karim Rekik

January 5th, 2021 Montreal, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service but shipping is the problem

Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for your review, and our apologies, due to the Holiday Season, and current events, where shipments have been delayed by Canada post. We hope this will be resolved shortly.

Kathleen Dodd-Moher

January 4th, 2021 Nepean, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far so good. Staff was helpful with making the impressions, yet to receive my aligners

Jan 14, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are very happy to help! :)

Jennie Grevers

December 29th, 2020 Woodstock, ON

Trish was friendly and patient with me while doing my impressions. I loved that we were able to "meet" online at a time that was convenient to me.

Jan 14, 2021

We are so happy to know that have a lovely experience. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Joshua Grow

December 10th, 2020 Monroe, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just ordered and started my impression session. It was quick and reliable - looking forward to a great result.

Jan 13, 2021

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy to be on this journey with you :)

Rochelle

November 19th, 2020 Constitution Hill, NSW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Took me 2 months to receive my aligners. It's worth the wait!

Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Nicole Weber

October 29th, 2020 Mosman, NSW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am satisfied with the support team, they have walked me through the process properly and met my expectations. I am half way through my treatment now and whenever I have questions I just send them an email.

Jan 13, 2021

We are glad that you are happy with your experience! Thank you so much for your feedback. :)