Invisalign Logo

7.0

LAST UPDATED: June 16th, 2022

Invisalign is probably the most recognized name in the invisible braces industry. Founded in 1997, Invisalign revolutionized the orthodontic industry with its digital-led Invisalign system. Even now, the company continues that spirit of innovation and is continuously creating new orthodontic technology.

Invisalign has nearly 100,000 Invisalign-trained dentists and orthodontists in over 90 countries. The company has helped over 6 million people transform their smiles, including 1.4 million teens.

We recommend reading through our Invisalign reviews to see what others are saying about their before and after Invisalign transformation and whether or not they'd recommend working with them.

The Good

• Benefits of Invisalign
  • High-Quality Products
  • SmartForce Attachments
  • Invisalign Teen

Benefits of Invisalign

There are numerous reasons why people choose Invisalign clear aligners over traditional metal braces. Some of Invisaligns benefits include the following:

• Easily removable — makes it easy to keep up with good oral hygiene
  • No emergency dentist or orthodontist visits due to broken brackets or wires
  • Virtually invisible — clear plastic trays made from high-quality plastic
  • Often cheaper than traditional braces — may be covered by an orthodontic insurance plan

Invisalign is an excellent option for those looking for straighter teeth, without interrupting their life with regular braces. While many other companies in the industry are limited to fixing mild and moderate alignment issues, Invisalign is continually finding ways to fix more complex orthodontic issues.

High-Quality Products

Invisalign creates its aligners using industry-leading technology based on an individual treatment plan. In order for its product to be "invisible," every Invisalign aligner is customized and engineered to fit the patient's teeth.

Using the iTero Element® scanner, patients can have a 3D image of their teeth in just a few minutes. Invisalign prides itself on the fact that it has eliminated the need for goopy molds made from putty. The iTero Element allows doctors to get a high-resolution, interactive image that helps to simplify the aligner process.

Invisalign aligners are also made of SmartTrack® Material. The company engineered the material specifically to help get the best fit possible.

SmartTrack® Material applies a gentle, constant force, helps improve control of tooth movements, straightens teeth with 75 percent more predictability, ensures a snug fit, and reports treatment times up to 50 percent faster.

Invisalign even takes the time to trim each aligner individually, so it doesn't bother the patient's gum line. Every aligner is examined to ensure it meets Invisalign's high-quality standards.

SmartForce® Attachments

Patients with more complex dental issues might want to check out Invisalign's SmartForce® attachments. The attachments are small tooth-colored shapes that are bonded to the teeth either before or during the Invisalign treatment. It should be noted that getting the attachments doesn't require any drilling or numbing shots. They are simply attached to the front of the teeth and when the treatment is done can easily be polished off. The attachments merely give the aligners something to push on and help force the teeth into the right position.

SmartForce® Attachments are generally only used in more complex cases and not everyone who uses Invisalign will need the attachments.

Invisalign Teen

While invisible braces or clear aligners are generally more popular among adults, Invisalign notes that its technology is a great option for people of all ages. The clear aligners with precision wings can help fix class II malocclusions — this is where the upper and lower jaw don't line up. The mandibular advancement feature can help tweens and teen correct overbites while straightening their teeth at the same time.

Invisalign First is great for parents with younger children, ages 6 to 10, to start addressing any developing orthodontic problems. While many parents are hesitant to start their child's orthodontic treatment while they're so young, the Invisalign First clear aligner was designed for predictable results and a positive experience to better address the unique needs of growing children.

The clear aligners for teens have a built-in indicator dot that helps monitor progress. If your teen is wearing Invisalign correctly and for the recommended amount of time, the blue dot will fade. If your teen isn't wearing them as the treatment plan suggests, the blue dot will be visible to your orthodontist or dentist.

Invisalign is a viable option for both kids and teens, as the product is easily removable — making it easier to brush and floss, and the clear aligners were designed to be extremely comfortable — no more discomfort with metal brackets or poking wires tearing up the mouth.

The Bad

• Doctor Visits Required
  • Is Invisalign Right For You?
  • Invisalign Cost

Doctor Visits Required

Invisalign requires doctor visits in order to take an impression of your teeth, make adjustments to aligners, and to make payments. Other invisible braces companies cut out the doctor's visits and work directly with the customer, making the treatment time much quicker for.

Dentists and orthodontists act as a middle man between the customer and the Invisalign treatment. Although a dental professional is necessary for accurate teeth alignment, they do complicate the process when customers have to make regular appointments.

Invisalign suggests scheduling regular appointments with your doctor every four to six weeks.

Is Invisalign Right For You?

One of the most attractive features of invisible aligner providers is that most of them offer in-home teeth assessments and remote-doctor directed treatment, a foreign luxury to conventional braces. Invisalign works exclusively through individual dentists and orthodontists.

Those looking into getting clear braces can fill out Invisalign's Smile Assessment questionnaire to see if an Invisalign treatment is a viable option. However, Invisalign warns that the Smile Assessment does not replace the need for a consultation with a dentist or orthodontist, as only a trained Invisalign provider can determine whether a customer is a good candidate. While this is helpful information to know, it would be more useful if Invisalign stated whether the company offers a free consultation or not.

Invisalign Cost

How much does Invisalign cost for you? Invisalign advertises that the only thing its invisible aligners have in common with traditional metal braces is the price. Unfortunately, the price is the worst part about metal braces.

Invisalign could cost you anywhere from $3,500 to $7,100, without insurance, to straighten your teeth.

The Bottom Line

Invisalign is a great alternative to metal braces and a top contender in the invisible aligner industry.

While the company is the oldest invisible aligners provider in the industry that hasn't slowed its progress. Invisalign is continually introducing innovative technology and eliminating outdated, undesirable steps in the aligner process (no more goopy, gross tasting putty molds).

Patients working with online invisible aligner companies are often limited in the extra features aspect. Since Invisalign patients are working with a trained orthodontist or dentist, they often get a more personalized treatment plan. With Invisalign, complex orthodontic cases can determine if SmartForce® Attachments are needed either before or during the treatment plan. That's something other invisible aligner companies don't offer.

However, even though Invisalign offers impressive features and new technology, it comes at a price. The average cost for Invisalign braces is between $3,500 and $8,000. While insurance may cover some of the cost, it is significantly higher than other companies in the industry. Invisalign also doesn't make any mention of additional expenses such as replacement trays or how much its recommended Vivera® retainer will cost. While the final cost may vary depending on the Invisalign provider (whether that be an orthodontist or dentist), it would be helpful to customers to know a ballpark range of what the total cost will be.

Scroll down to read real customer Invisalign reviews or

View Best Invisible Braces Companies

Precious H. Red Oak, TX

Invisalign is a major upgrade from the old metal braces. I decided to go this route to correct my crooked teeth. I was amazed at how well they worked and how they are hardly noticeable. I do have to say that there is some soreness in the first few days after each adjustment. Also, some of my teeth had to be shaved to create space for movement. The pain is worth it however.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

We got Invisalign for my wife. She loves that it moves her teeth so quickly by one week at a time of new trays that are slightly straighter. She loves being able to remove them so that she can eat, brush, and floss. Then of course her smile is straighter than ever! She dislikes forgetting to put them back in is the only downfall I would have to say. So you have to wear them consistently throughout the day and night, so keep your container with you when ever you go out so you can store them away while dining out, etc.

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

I have two boys, both of whom required braces. My first son we went with regular metal braces (our Dentist at the time didn't offer clear braces). For our second son, we used Invisalign. The Invisalign were about the same price and worked just as well as the regular braces, from a dentistry point of view. However, my younger son was much, much less embarrassed to smile in family photos and around friends and family. My wife reminds me that the metal braces required more frequent trips to the Dentist for rubber bands that came off and twice for the main wire coming loose. We weren't chanrged, but it was inconvenient.

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

discussed the option of invisalign for my kid and while the orthodontist + my research didn't come up with anything negative, the insurance seems to be steering that boat towards conventional braces, which are still more acceptable at a younger age and were easier on the wallet. Invisalign is more of a grown-up product that deliver the same benefits that you missed - if you needed braces as a child, but at a steeper price... that's why the 4 stars

lozeerose Boerne, TX

My middle child was given Invisalign. And while it helps to minimize the aesthetic of typical braces, it can be a little daunting at times. This is because parents and kids need to be aware of what day they place and replace retainers. Also, removing and cleaning them for eating, etc. can be a bit of a chore. Tha said, they work and are certainly an excellent option for people who don't require some wild amount of orthodontic correction and want a more natural aesthetic during their treatment.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

So, as an adult, I considered getting braces. When I looked into costs, I learned about Invisalign. I wasn't familiar with them and learned they can make corrections, improving your teeth quicker than traditional braces. When I spoke to the orthodontist about the choices I had, she gave me insight into Invisalign. Cost has a lot to do with my choices when it comes to straighter teeth. But Invisalign was the right choice for me.

Jacqui Bopp Newville, PA

They were extremely helpful and I was completely satisfied with my experience with invisalign. The dentists were extremely well informed and id definitely recommend invisalign to my friends that were looking for invisible teeth straighteners

jeff molitor Chicago, IL

As a 40+year old I never felt the need or wanted the expense of Invisible Braces. They just did not seem to fit my lifestyle or where I was at in m life. But once I spoke to a representative and understood the benefits to my overall health of my teeth it made sense so I tried it. I am glad I did. My smile is so much better that I have confidence I never knew before and it makes me cognizant of the overall health of my teeth. Not the cheapest option out their but I'd say the top of the mountain in terms of choices for invisible braces.

M. Nielsen MI

My son needed braces, but he did not want the metal braces in his mouth to just straighten a couple teeth we looked into invisalign and it was a great price and a shorter treatment plan, everyone we talked to was so helpful and knowledgeable. He had straight teeth in no time.

MNO O Powder Springs, GA

I love that there aren’t thr difficuies that you have with metal braces such as cutting up your mouth but the drawback to trays is that your kids can take them out whenever they want even if their not supposed to so it can be a constant fight. I might go with metal braces for my other children for this very reason. The little knobs that hold them on pop off at times which makes trying to keep them in difficult and my son says that they dry out his mouth but they seem to work well for straightening and for those responsible enough to keep them in.

Brenda Anderson Dallas, TX

My teeth had been straightened when I was young but as an adult they became slightly crooked just on the lowers. My dentist suggested Invisalign and they worked great for me. The results were straight teeth again. My dentist was very knowledgeable about this product . It was fast and simple and painless. I highly recommend them and Dr. A.

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

My daughter was told that she was going to need braces. We did some research and decided upon invisalign. She has been wearing them for about 4 months now, and we are very satisfied.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

Invisalign was really great for correcting my crooked teeth! Their customer service team was always quick to respond and helpful.

Chef Mike Maucher Ocean City, NJ

The Invisalign process was convenient and seamless throughout the whole process our team performed and communicated with us often and in a professional manner.

Samarra Miller Deerfield Beach, FL

My son has been wearing these for 6months now and it's pretty cool. Very tight but he likes them. Can't wait to see his ending results.

Stella Brewer Mamaroneck, NY

I did not have a good experience with Invisalign, i felt it was a hard sell from the moment I uttered the brand's name. I have never felt so bullied, and I definitely got baited and switched. I asked how much it would be and I was immediately thrown into a chair, scanned and charged for this! They could not tell me how much it would be unless they had a prescription sent in.

JJ Jenkins Orlando, FL

Four people In my family are using Invisalign to straighten their teeth right now. All of their teeth are Moving and looking straighter every day. With this treatment, they attach clear brackets to your teeth so that they. Can turn twisted teeth and pull down teeth that are up too high in the gums. By adding these multiple Brackets on your teeth, this system can move and fine tune your teeth and smile in a much more detailed way than other treatment plans that can just straighten your teeth but cannot move them Up or down. This product is used under the direct care of a licensed orthodontist and it does require periodic visits to your orthodontist.

Mary Kate F Simpsonville, SC

As someone who has gone through two rounds of braces, I can tell you that Invisalign is by far the best, unmatched option I have ever experienced to maintain, tweak, or revolutionize your smile for the better. I can stress enough how beneficial and how transformative Invisalign is - not only is it relatively cheap, but it’s easily accessible (my local orthodontist offered it), and it’s a barely noticeable, strong and durable retainer that will lead you to notice straighter teeth within months! I will be choosing and recommending Invisalign again in the future to anyone - ditch the dread, pain, and cost of having a brace face and go for this revolutionary retainer!

Frank Rivera Lynnfield, MA

The 3D images of my future smile during my initial consultation was the motivator to go with invisalign.

anupam sumessur Baltimore, MD

The best in the business. The invaslign are so smooth that you don't really feel it. The price is also good.

Megan Weidle Akron, OH

I had really great results from my invisalign! It takes longer than braces but feels shorter because it's invisible

Cindy Barber Tulsa, OK

I loved that I could easily straighten my teeth with this product and get amazing results that seem to have lasted!

Laura Washington Augusta, GA

I just started last week. My son has regular braces and his orthodontist recommended Invisilign for myself. I'm still getting use to them. The Invisilign tray system is convenient and easy to use.

North Florida Wildliife Center Havana, FL

I am excited to get started with invisalign. My dentist highly recommended and as an adult I didnt want traditonal braces with rubber bands and this is perfect in helping me to accomplish my confidence goals.

Noa Ranoa San Diego, CA

From a gap with displaced teeth to straight, no gap teeth, Invisalign got my smile back. After 10 years i still use the trays for night. If you don't keep using the last tray or a retainer, your teeth will go back to what they used to look like.

Harvey C. Macomb, MI

Invisalign is working for me. I looked into other companies that were much cheaper but I chose this company because my dentist oversees everything and it’s all “in-person.” Some weeks my teeth move faster than other weeks so my plan time frame has been a little flexible.

CypressH Ellicott City, MD

My braces were taken off a little too soon and so I was able to correct the drifting and slight separation with the Invisalign. They took my insurance which was greatly helpful and you can’t really see them. The fact that they are so hard to see is the main reason I got them, I would feel very embarrassed as a grown woman with braces, so these are great.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

I got invisalign as a 40 something. I opted for invisalign instead of braces because I have very sensitive teeth and I also didn't want all of the grossness that I see sometimes in teenagers and their braces. The invisalign took a lot longer than the braces would have, but they did a good job and I felt better about my appearance.

Connor Smith Tallahassee, FL

Over my year long stint with my Invisalign braces I saw massive improvement. Within a reasonable amount of time I went from some pretty crooked teeth to straighter than I could imagine. One negative though is how uncomfortable they are for all day use. All in all though the slight pain was definitely worth the amazing smile I ended up.

Party0f7 Macomb, MI

After exploring many different aligner options, I chose to go with Invisalign directly under the care of my dentist. I liked the thoroughness of the initial plan and estimate, and like that my dental office can help me directly with any issues and monitor my progress. The company itself has produced my aligners in a timely fashion and my teeth are on track with the projected treatment plan.

Alexandria Lekberg Ellicott City, MD

Invisalign is great for if your child doesn’t want to the wrong attention from school bullies! They work great and the results are fantastic! My son didn’t want to be called brace face and have his gums all cut up! He is very happy with them. Just be careful not to throw them away after you eat in a restaurant! Always Cary an extra case in the car! Same price as normal braces for us!

Kelly C. Sacramento, CA

My daughter 15 had fairly straight teeth before Invisalign and the Orthodontist said her teeth did look goo, but you can always improve on and make the "Perfect" That is what has happened, her smile looks even more beautiful than it did before starting Invisalign! I am so impressed, she only has about 6 week left to wear Invisalign. The Ortho office has been superb and Invisalign was right on track! I cannot say enough kind words and am so truly amazed and happy for my daughter to have the perfect smile!

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

I have been wearing Invisalign for a year now. I was thrilled with the fact that they were not noticeable so much, as I am an older mom. I did not experience any pain with any movements. Regular checkups were a breeze. I am due to have them removed after a year. Being an older mom I was concerned about braces but Invisalign fit the spot for me. So glad I took the step. I look forward to healthy straight teeth. A little pricey. I have also gotten them for my two kids also.

Mary Fernandes New York, NY

I was introduced to Invisalign through my dentist, and was amazed at how effective and quick it was to fix my overbite. I was impressed with the wand they use to show what your teeth look like and then envision how you will look after using Invisalign. My treatment was approximately 18 months, and I was very happy with every part of the process. I highly recommend Invisalign for anyone motivated to fix their smile. You just have to be very diligent with wearing the retainers and following the treatment plan properly.

Jennifer Mavros

This process has totally changed how my daughter is feeling about orthodontics. Previously, she’d had a bad experience with traditional braces, snd we had them removed halfway through treatment. She still need some correction however, and Invisalign has been amazing. The initial process as smooth, her appointments to switch them out each month are fast, and her teeth are responding quickly. We are 3 months in & very happy so far!

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If you have more complex issues like I did, there is no better choice than Invisalign. I used a competitor to start but it didn’t get my smile all the way there. Invisalign truly the only invisible option on the market that is a full fledged replacement to braces. The supervision of a dentist is a huge plus as well. Most competitors only straighten but Invisalign does more complex fixes. They were able to finish off my teeth straightening journey with their kits. Love my smile now.

Erin Murphy Saint Paul, MN

I had Invisalign braces in my mid 40s, as a working professional, and was very pleased with the results and the process. While I was having treatment, I felt that it was rarely noticed that I was using Invisalign and the results were terrific. I loved that my orthodontist was able to "tweak' individual teeth to help with symmetry and appearance. I still wear the retainer tray at night and my teeth have held the final alignment perfectly.

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely am loving my progress with Invisalign thus far! The company is so easy to communicate with even through my orthodontist. I feel like my teeth are moving so fast and I am just overly in love with the wild progress that I am seeing. I looked at other invisible teeth alignment companies and this one made me the most comfortable with my oral health. Although they are very expensive it is 1000 percent worth every penny.

L. J. Y New York, NY

I had my Invisalign done at NYU, saving myself a bundle of $$$ and getting my front 12 teeth in much better alignment, and helped my bite to chew food much better. Invisalign is just terrific, the system works super well only if you are diligent and disciplined about wearing them continuously, except when working. A friend and I started at the same time, she dropped off. Sad. Slightly painful , uncomfortable at first, Cannot deny that, but overall process totally worth it and with superior results. Would request multiple night braces After process finished , to keep my teeth in alignment, instead of just 1 measley pair. A few years later, Now I must go back again to get a few new pair made. Not convenient! Love Invisalign.

MsNovak Embarrass, MN

Invisalign may be slightly more expensive than cheaper aligners, but that extra little bit is SO worth it! The attachments are a positive, not a negative, they help your teeth move, and fast. Plus, if you don't have the exact results you want, you get another set for free. Why would anyone NOT want to see an orthodontist in person?? I'm so thankful I am, he assessed that my teeth will move after the aligners, so he will put in a wire to hold them in place. For free. He is monitoring all my progress, he's very honest, and is making sure I get the very best experience from Invisalign. I am SO impressed! The aligners fit very well, they are not painful at all, and they are beyond durable. 1000% recommend!

Maureen Kinghorn Sandy, UT

I LOVED Invisalign! I had to get braces as an adult and did not want metal brackets for a year and a half. My orthodontist recommended Invisalign. He said they would get me 99% of the way there and that I may need to have regular braces for the last month or two. (We were fixing a bite issue for me - not straightening teeth). Well that last 8 weeks with regular metal brackets was terrible! I don’t know how so many teenagers handle it. They cut into my cheeks, etc and we’re so painful. I never had any of those issues with Invisalign. I’m so happy with the choice I made. They did the job, we’re not painful and looked so much better.

Brittany Norfolk, VA

Very good with getting all your dental needs met just disliked when it was time to take them out it caused pain

Greg Service jr Springfield, MO

Bought these for my daughter and she loved them. They worked good and price is unbeatable

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

They were very easy to use. A little uncomfortable while the teeth shifted but that's expected.

Karen Parker Little Rock, AR

Always remember your agreement is with your orthodontist/dentist...and in any complaints to Invisalign (Align Technology), they will regurgitate this response. Unfortunately, if you learn your provider is unqualified and unethical; you will not receive assistance from Invisalign.

Aubrey Dallas, TX

I got recommended invisalign since i've had braces before and my teeth have since moved, invisalign was pain-free and much cheaper than braces would be and my teeth look fantastic! Love it.

BJorgensen Herriman, UT

I have two daughters that have had regular braces and their orthodontist has them use Invisalign nightly to maintain their dental work. The product works great and does not interrupt their sleep

Ben San Jose, CA

Was able to schedule an appointment and get in for an evaluation and with in a very short and reasonable time got my invisalign mouth piece and in what seemed to be in no time at all my teeth were miraculously corrected and I was able to show off my smile with everyone I came in contact with it built my confidence and boosted my moral was byfar an amazing difference and a great experience not to mention alot more convenient and cheaper than conventional braces thanks again invisaline

Daniel Cossa Elmhurst, IL

I like the product that they offer. Having a clear braces option was a nice situation for an older adult. I also liked that the product worked well and that I could take out my braces to brush my teeth. The only downside of the product was that it was more expensive than the traditional braces.

James Goodman Silverdale, WA

Great company, great service atmosphere. My family used another invisible braces' company before, never again. Invisalign will be the go to for my children from here out. Invisalign backs the products and will do wherever to make a best fit, painlessly, and without extra stress. Braces are tough enough, Invisalign makes it better. Thank You