Invisalign Logo

Invisalign is probably the most recognized name in the invisible braces industry. Founded in 1997, Invisalign revolutionized the orthodontic industry with its digital-led Invisalign system. Even now, the company continues that spirit of innovation and is continuously creating new orthodontic technology.

Invisalign has nearly 100,000 Invisalign-trained dentists and orthodontists in over 90 countries. The company has helped over 6 million people transform their smiles, including 1.4 million teens.

We recommend reading through our Invisalign reviews to see what others are saying about their before and after Invisalign transformation and whether or not they'd recommend working with them.

The Good

• Benefits of Invisalign
  • High-Quality Products
  • SmartForce Attachments
  • Invisalign Teen

Benefits of Invisalign

There are numerous reasons why people choose Invisalign clear aligners over traditional metal braces. Some of Invisaligns benefits include the following:

• Easily removable — makes it easy to keep up with good oral hygiene
  • No emergency dentist or orthodontist visits due to broken brackets or wires
  • Virtually invisible — clear plastic trays made from high-quality plastic
  • Often cheaper than traditional braces — may be covered by an orthodontic insurance plan

Invisalign is an excellent option for those looking for straighter teeth, without interrupting their life with regular braces. While many other companies in the industry are limited to fixing mild and moderate alignment issues, Invisalign is continually finding ways to fix more complex orthodontic issues.

High-Quality Products

Invisalign creates its aligners using industry-leading technology based on an individual treatment plan. In order for its product to be "invisible," every Invisalign aligner is customized and engineered to fit the patient's teeth.

Using the iTero Element® scanner, patients can have a 3D image of their teeth in just a few minutes. Invisalign prides itself on the fact that it has eliminated the need for goopy molds made from putty. The iTero Element allows doctors to get a high-resolution, interactive image that helps to simplify the aligner process.

Invisalign aligners are also made of SmartTrack® Material. The company engineered the material specifically to help get the best fit possible.

SmartTrack® Material applies a gentle, constant force, helps improve control of tooth movements, straightens teeth with 75 percent more predictability, ensures a snug fit, and reports treatment times up to 50 percent faster.

Invisalign even takes the time to trim each aligner individually, so it doesn't bother the patient's gum line. Every aligner is examined to ensure it meets Invisalign's high-quality standards.

SmartForce® Attachments

Patients with more complex dental issues might want to check out Invisalign's SmartForce® attachments. The attachments are small tooth-colored shapes that are bonded to the teeth either before or during the Invisalign treatment. It should be noted that getting the attachments doesn't require any drilling or numbing shots. They are simply attached to the front of the teeth and when the treatment is done can easily be polished off. The attachments merely give the aligners something to push on and help force the teeth into the right position.

SmartForce® Attachments are generally only used in more complex cases and not everyone who uses Invisalign will need the attachments.

Invisalign Teen

While invisible braces or clear aligners are generally more popular among adults, Invisalign notes that its technology is a great option for people of all ages. The clear aligners with precision wings can help fix class II malocclusions — this is where the upper and lower jaw don't line up. The mandibular advancement feature can help tweens and teen correct overbites while straightening their teeth at the same time.

Invisalign First is great for parents with younger children, ages 6 to 10, to start addressing any developing orthodontic problems. While many parents are hesitant to start their child's orthodontic treatment while they're so young, the Invisalign First clear aligner was designed for predictable results and a positive experience to better address the unique needs of growing children.

The clear aligners for teens have a built-in indicator dot that helps monitor progress. If your teen is wearing Invisalign correctly and for the recommended amount of time, the blue dot will fade. If your teen isn't wearing them as the treatment plan suggests, the blue dot will be visible to your orthodontist or dentist.

Invisalign is a viable option for both kids and teens, as the product is easily removable — making it easier to brush and floss, and the clear aligners were designed to be extremely comfortable — no more discomfort with metal brackets or poking wires tearing up the mouth.

The Bad

• Doctor Visits Required
  • Is Invisalign Right For You?
  • Invisalign Cost

Doctor Visits Required

Invisalign requires doctor visits in order to take an impression of your teeth, make adjustments to aligners, and to make payments. Other invisible braces companies cut out the doctor's visits and work directly with the customer, making the treatment time much quicker for.

Dentists and orthodontists act as a middle man between the customer and the Invisalign treatment. Although a dental professional is necessary for accurate teeth alignment, they do complicate the process when customers have to make regular appointments.

Invisalign suggests scheduling regular appointments with your doctor every four to six weeks.

Is Invisalign Right For You?

One of the most attractive features of invisible aligner providers is that most of them offer in-home teeth assessments and remote-doctor directed treatment, a foreign luxury to conventional braces. Invisalign works exclusively through individual dentists and orthodontists.

Those looking into getting clear braces can fill out Invisalign's Smile Assessment questionnaire to see if an Invisalign treatment is a viable option. However, Invisalign warns that the Smile Assessment does not replace the need for a consultation with a dentist or orthodontist, as only a trained Invisalign provider can determine whether a customer is a good candidate. While this is helpful information to know, it would be more useful if Invisalign stated whether the company offers a free consultation or not.

Invisalign Cost

How much does Invisalign cost for you? Invisalign advertises that the only thing its invisible aligners have in common with traditional metal braces is the price. Unfortunately, the price is the worst part about metal braces.

Invisalign could cost you anywhere from $3,500 to $7,100, without insurance, to straighten your teeth.

The Bottom Line

Invisalign is a great alternative to metal braces and a top contender in the invisible aligner industry.

While the company is the oldest invisible aligners provider in the industry that hasn't slowed its progress. Invisalign is continually introducing innovative technology and eliminating outdated, undesirable steps in the aligner process (no more goopy, gross tasting putty molds).

Patients working with online invisible aligner companies are often limited in the extra features aspect. Since Invisalign patients are working with a trained orthodontist or dentist, they often get a more personalized treatment plan. With Invisalign, complex orthodontic cases can determine if SmartForce® Attachments are needed either before or during the treatment plan. That's something other invisible aligner companies don't offer.

However, even though Invisalign offers impressive features and new technology, it comes at a price. The average cost for Invisalign braces is between $3,500 and $8,000. While insurance may cover some of the cost, it is significantly higher than other companies in the industry. Invisalign also doesn't make any mention of additional expenses such as replacement trays or how much its recommended Vivera® retainer will cost. While the final cost may vary depending on the Invisalign provider (whether that be an orthodontist or dentist), it would be helpful to customers to know a ballpark range of what the total cost will be.

Scroll down to read real customer Invisalign reviews or

View Best Invisible Braces Companies

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Invisalign was the best thing I could ever do for my smile. I did not have to worry about braces and all the problems that come with them, but I used Invisalign and it gave me great results.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

Invisalign fixed my teeth, made me want to smile more, and was a great way to avoid braces which I heard was much more painful. The pain was bad for the beginning several months, but after my teeth adjusted, I felt and saw improvement coming through. My teeth did not need a major change, but Invisalign definitely made my teeth more crooked and fixed the gaps I had.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I did not want to use braces to fix my teeth and Invisalign was the perfect alternative. Very discreet and easy to take on and off. They also worked extremely well to correct my mouth and teeth.

Diane Zachary Osseo, MN

These braces as an adult are great. I am on the tail end of my treatment and am very happy with my results. I go in for regular checks through my dentist office. I highly recommend them.

Longview Oakland, CA

The good: Removable, no food limitations, supposed to be painless. They do work. The bad: They need to work on quality control. I had multiple sets that were fabricated poorly. Sharp edges that protruded into my mouth abraded my tongue and cheeks until they were bloody. The company sent replacements which was great, but they were as inconsistently manufactured as the first sets. Some would not lie flat on my teeth at all. $6K, and I’m filing sharp edges down with a nail file. I hope they get some competitors so they have to up their game.

hminfo Olney, MD

I just did my initial consult for Invisalign. The 3-D pictures they take at the first appointment are so futuristic. It was very impressive. It easily replicates your teeth for a highly personalized experience.

Mary Ella Hardy Charlotte, NC

Although we were given several options for my daughter, this seemed to be the best fit. She had the invisalign for a shorter amount of months than if she went with braces. Very easy to care for and her teeth look amazig!

L. J. Y New York, NY

I had my Invisalign done at NYU, saving myself a bundle of $$$ and getting my front 12 teeth in much better alignment, and helped my bite to chew food much better. Invisalign is just terrific, the system works super well only if you are diligent and disciplined about wearing them continuously, except when working. A friend and I started at the same time, she dropped off. Sad. Slightly painful , uncomfortable at first, Cannot deny that, but overall process totally worth it and with superior results. Would request multiple night braces After process finished , to keep my teeth in alignment, instead of just 1 measley pair. A few years later, Now I must go back again to get a few new pair made. Not convenient! Love Invisalign.

Corbin Short ,

I used Invisalign for 2 years through an orthodontist in Utah called Thompson Orthodontists. It has really been a great experience. I never had braces as a kid so I got Invisalign when I was 22 (didn't want braces in my wedding photos). I am sure it was just as painful, if not less painful than braces, and no one could ever tell I had trays in. Some cases are not eligible for Invisalign, but a lot of cases are. If you are eligible, I would strongly recommend using Invisalign, especially if you can find a place you can do it for the same price of braces. It is well worth it, and they are just as effective.

MsNovak Embarrass, MN

Invisalign may be slightly more expensive than cheaper aligners, but that extra little bit is SO worth it! The attachments are a positive, not a negative, they help your teeth move, and fast. Plus, if you don't have the exact results you want, you get another set for free. Why would anyone NOT want to see an orthodontist in person?? I'm so thankful I am, he assessed that my teeth will move after the aligners, so he will put in a wire to hold them in place. For free. He is monitoring all my progress, he's very honest, and is making sure I get the very best experience from Invisalign. I am SO impressed! The aligners fit very well, they are not painful at all, and they are beyond durable. 1000% recommend!

Maureen Kinghorn Sandy, UT

I LOVED Invisalign! I had to get braces as an adult and did not want metal brackets for a year and a half. My orthodontist recommended Invisalign. He said they would get me 99% of the way there and that I may need to have regular braces for the last month or two. (We were fixing a bite issue for me - not straightening teeth). Well that last 8 weeks with regular metal brackets was terrible! I don’t know how so many teenagers handle it. They cut into my cheeks, etc and we’re so painful. I never had any of those issues with Invisalign. I’m so happy with the choice I made. They did the job, we’re not painful and looked so much better.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

I began my Invisalign treatment this week. The initial consultation is extremely impressive. The 3D computer models of the teeth are very futuristic.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I am currently using Invisalign and so far am happy with the results. I did have one of my trays that was bent out of shape when I opened it for the first time so it wouldn't fit in my mouth and I had to go to the orthodontist to address the problem (I ended up skipping that tray because it wouldn't fit) but that was the only snag I have encoutered so far. The whole process has taken longer than my orthodontist originally estimated but I think that is pretty normal across all brands.

Emily H Provo, UT

After having braces throughout high school, the last thing I wanted to hear was that I needed braces again in my 20s! Invisalign made it a practically painless process--not rubber bands, no wires poking, and best of all--no one can tell you have braces. The process is a little longer than traditional braces, but definitely worth the benefits!

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

I've had Invisalign for the past 5 years and honestly, they do a great job. At first, I resisted using the retainer that I was given, but after embracing the treatment, I was really surprised at the quality of the product. I had a gap in my teeth that needed fixing and Invisalign did such a good job closing it.

CoachTrista Englewood, CO

I am SO HAPPY with my Invisalign experience. It was smooth, fast and my smile is perfect again! I needed these at an older age because my teeth began to move again oddly enough and I couldn't be happier that I decided to do a quick fix and invisalign made the most sense!

Rachel Logan, UT

I am a dental assistant and we use Invisalign frequently at our office. Our patients love it! We’ve seen great results. On our end, they are great to work with as far as making treatment plans and answering our questions to provide quality results for our patients.

Brett N. Lehi, UT

I thoroughly enjoyed my Invisalign experience. As a professional that wanted to keep the distraction of braces out of the business conversations I have daily, the Invisalign system is a remarkable product that met that need. They also fit well and are much more comfortable then braces.The only downside I experienced with Invisalign is that if you have teeth that need more than average rotation, Invisalign is not the best option. This is less of an indictment on Invisalign or the technology, but more a word of advice to those who think it's the answer if you have teeth that have rotated or gone too sideways. If relative minimal impact on lifestyle, look, and your teeth are not needing major work, they are a great option.

Charlie Scott Louisville, KY

I started Invisalign about 2 months ago. My first step towards a straight smile was actually having back braces for about a year. Once those were removed I started Invisalign with rubber bands. I have LOVED my experience so far! I had a slight lisp for the first week or so but little to no pain. I visit my ortho. every 6 weeks and am given 6 new trays. I switch to a new tray every Friday! My total, including back braces was about $4,800.

Kenneth Okerlund

I used Invisalign several years ago, but it was rather expensive at the time. However, it did its job quite well. I mainly only wore them at night (even though you're supposed to wear them during the day) because I didn't want to have to carry a toothbrush around to brush my teeth every time I ate anything (you were supposed to brush your teeth before putting them in and if you didn't there could be some nasty buildup). Worked well, and I just use the final pair as my retainers for when I sleep now. Every time I go to a dentist they compliment me on how straight my teeth are, so I would say it did well.

Natalee Christensen Sandy, UT

I had pretty complicated teeth when I used Invisalign. I had braces when I was younger and then I was told I needed them again. So my orthodontist recommended Invisalign and it worked out really well for me. I really liked having to see the dentist often so that I knew my teeth were on the right track. With my complications, I was glad I had the chance to see the dentist often to check in and make sure my teeth were still progressing like I wanted them too. My teeth are still great to this day and it’s been over 5 years and there have been no complications since.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Very expensive. However, if you are not wanting to get braces, Invisalign is the way to go. There are more responsibilities that come with the Invisalign, but will work. May take longer to work then braces though.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

AMAZING! while i am not totally done with my Invisalign, I am amaze how great the experience has been to date. Technology is incredible, and the process has been seamless.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I just started using invisalign. It has been an easy and worry free experience so far. There is a little pain, but I believe that is normal when you are realigning your teeth.

Angie Burnett Orem, UT

I wanted to straighten my teeth and had adult orthodontia insurance, I went to my orthodontist and received Invisalign. The whole process was very smooth. I did have to have brackets put on my teeth during treatment. On top of that I had to do 2 refinements. But considering that they were clear and invisible I didn't mind.

Mary Margaret Maloney Bonita Springs, FL

I have had my Invisaligns for about a year. The only complaint that I have is that there have been 5 sets of trays that have been very rough ... not a smooth finish. It has been very irritating to my tongue and the inside of my mouth ... to the point that I could not ware them like I was supposed to. You would think that as much as they cost, their Quality department would of inspected and rejected those trays.

Larry Hawker Las Vegas, NV

Invisalign works best for people who already have relatively straight teeth or if they had braces in the past. The system will not work to pull teeth down or to push them in a little deeper for a nice even look if that is what is needed. However, it will slowly correct minor alignment flaws if worn as instructed. The quality of the service and result will depend a lot on your dentist. It will not do a good job on teeth that are really crooked.

Shana Walker American Fork, UT

I enjoyed using Invisalign! I always was self-concious of my smile and the thought of getting wired braces made me feel even worse. I decided to get Invisalign. It is really pricy but I say it was worth it for me and my situation. I like how you could easily pop them back on and off and continue throughout the day. I would wear them religiously until my last few trays. But by then my teeth had straightened out pretty well.

Alex Mesa, AZ

I loved having Invisalign! I never had braces as a kid, but always wanted to correct my teeth, even though they didn't give me any problems. I chose to get only a top tray, and got it fixed in just under a year. The process was easy as long as I followed my orthodontist's recommendations. Highly recommend!

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

While I have not personally used Invisalign, several of my family members have. This is such a great product for those who need minor correction in their teeth. It doesn't break the bank, and my kids have loved having an alternative to braces!

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

My orthodontist recommended Invisalign, and I’m glad I use it! They’re clear, which makes me feel more comfortable wearing them throughout the day. I had to opt for a thicker plastic, because I grind my teeth. Even with that extra plastic, it’s not uncomfortable to wear. I highly recommend it for anyone who’s looking for a discreet way to correct their teeth.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I'm a lot older and really didn't want traditional braces. I asked my dentist about Invisalign and thought I would try it through the mail. I was surprised that my dentist said that he does Invisalign right in his office. I am currently using invisalign and so happy that I am. I see a difference already in my teeth, and its so convenient! My insurance covers invasalign and its been such an easy process so far!

Ashley Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my Invisalign! My dentist recommend that I use Invisalign for my needs instead of traditional braces because of my busy lifestyle as a volleyball player. I love that I can just go see my dentist too to have him help me with my needs and not see a special orthodontist. It has kept the fees down and my teeth are looking great! The convenience is wonderful and my insurance has covered the costs like it would traditional braces! Its been a great choice for me.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I just started my invisalign at age 50! I love the convenience especially when playing sports. Most people don't even know I have them in. I've noticed great changes already and am so excited I don't have to look like a teenager wearing braces! You only are suppose to have them out about 2 hours a day and I'm realizing how much I snack on foods, maybe I'll lose weight too!

adam Merrick, NY

invisalign ruined my bite and now my back teeth no longer contact and makes it difficult to chew...when my dentist tried to correct this invisalign came up with a two year additional plan (i wore for 2 years already) . I asked for a refund to go to orthodontist but they refused

Kelya Reid Tallahassee, FL

great method for straightening teeth. you get your own customizable treatment for a very affordable price along with insurance

Cat Mendez Apache Junction, AZ

it does straighten ur teeth but it’s so intensely painful the entire time. taking them out to eat doesn’t work because ur teeth ache so bad that touching them sends jolts of pain everywhere. this doesn’t get better the more u wear them. i’ve had them for more than a year and they are still insanely painful to wear and especially to take out. my teeth are slightly straighter but they do not do a good job of rotating crowded teeth.

Margaret Beus Richland, WA

My dentist recommended Invisalign to straighten my teeth so I agreed. They did a fairly good job of straightening but ruined my bite. Consequently, I had to have regular braces that still weren’t completely successful. This product is likely good for people whose teeth were once straight and just need to be returned but I wouldn’t recommend using them for the initial straightening.

Mat A Rancho Cordova, CA

I am currently using Invisalign and I can see the difference. By the time I am done with all my trays, my teeth will look great. I’m very impressed so far.

Jennifer Newport News, VA

I was told I would have them for 17 weeks. I was shown on computer what my teeth would look like. There was only 3 questions I had at the beginning 1. Would they correct my 2 front teeth? 1 is overlapping the other a little. 2. My 2 front teeth are longer? Can it correct? 3. I was hit by a wave which knocked my bottom teeth loose. I had a root canal on 4 of them. Can Invisalign straighten them? I was told yes on 1 & 3 and #2 they said when my teeth were straightened it would appear that my teeth were the same length. The computer generated improvement was wonderful. My front teeth move back to 1 overlapping when I have mine out for 3 hrs. It seems to me that they don’t correct your teeth at the gum level but only align your teeth at the ends of your teeth.

Brianna bourgeois Long Beach, MS

I am currently using Invisalign after my orthodontist over corrected my two front teeth. With this Invisalign it has made me more confident to smile and my teeth have never been straighter.

Ron San Ramon, CA

So the teeth straightened out fairly well and quickly, although the sales talk did not emphasize the rubber bands you get to deal with. But when I thought I was done my molars did not touch in the back which made chewing odd and it felt like my mouth was slightly open compared to before. Invisalign was not able to fix this and seemed to mostly use the "hope" method. I gave up after 3.5 years!

Sandra Dayton, NJ

I love Invisalign my teeth have been getting straight in a short amount of time and it’s so minimal and you can barely see it I’m so happy with my smile and I ended up paying the minimum price for them and I’m very satisfied

Morgan Sandy, UT

I did a few sets of trays with Invisalign after having braces. It was reassuring to visit an orthodontist’s office. My front teeth weren’t completely aligned, and my retainer was created to that stage. I am now pursuing a more affordable route to correct that slight misalignment.

Daniel Rasmussen

I used Invisalign took about 7 months to finish the initial set of trays and then 2 refinement treatments (extra 3 months) which my ortho offered free. Very happy with the results. Consistency is key though.

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

A quick and easy way to have your teeth straightened. in my experience, cheaper than braces and isnt as obvious as braces. When my dog chewed on one of my trays, they quickly sent replacements!

Angel Torres Norcross, GA

Invisalign literally saved my teeth before my teeth were crooked And the people at my school literally made fun of me now thanks to Invisalign my teeth are nice and straight and my self confidence is restored

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I used invisalign last year and it has worked amazingly! I'm so happy with the results. I had my braces when I was younger, but needed a bit of adjustments since I lost my retainer and it's great!

Amy Christian Las Vegas, NV

I’m one month into Invisalign and I can already see improvements in my teeth! The trays and not as uncomfortable as I was fearing. The first day after changing the trays can be sore but after that it’s ok. Easy to clean the trays

Ariyana Miller Riverview, FL

Invisalign is the best way to straighten teeth. It’s discrete trays allow for the teeth straightening process to go undetected by others and allows for a faster process than braces. The trays are easy to use and make straightening teeth (almost) painless and easy!