Invisalign Logo

5.6

Invisalign is probably the most recognized name in the invisible braces industry. Founded in 1997, Invisalign revolutionized the orthodontic industry with its digital-led Invisalign system. Even now, the company continues that spirit of innovation and is continuously creating new orthodontic technology.

Invisalign has nearly 100,000 Invisalign-trained dentists and orthodontists in over 90 countries. The company has helped over 6 million people transform their smiles, including 1.4 million teens.

We recommend reading through our Invisalign reviews to see what others are saying about their before and after Invisalign transformation and whether or not they'd recommend working with them.

The Good

• Benefits of Invisalign
  • High-Quality Products
  • SmartForce Attachments
  • Invisalign Teen

Benefits of Invisalign

There are numerous reasons why people choose Invisalign clear aligners over traditional metal braces. Some of Invisaligns benefits include the following:

• Easily removable — makes it easy to keep up with good oral hygiene
  • No emergency dentist or orthodontist visits due to broken brackets or wires
  • Virtually invisible — clear plastic trays made from high-quality plastic
  • Often cheaper than traditional braces — may be covered by an orthodontic insurance plan

Invisalign is an excellent option for those looking for straighter teeth, without interrupting their life with regular braces. While many other companies in the industry are limited to fixing mild and moderate alignment issues, Invisalign is continually finding ways to fix more complex orthodontic issues.

High-Quality Products

Invisalign creates its aligners using industry-leading technology based on an individual treatment plan. In order for its product to be "invisible," every Invisalign aligner is customized and engineered to fit the patient's teeth.

Using the iTero Element® scanner, patients can have a 3D image of their teeth in just a few minutes. Invisalign prides itself on the fact that it has eliminated the need for goopy molds made from putty. The iTero Element allows doctors to get a high-resolution, interactive image that helps to simplify the aligner process.

Invisalign aligners are also made of SmartTrack® Material. The company engineered the material specifically to help get the best fit possible.

SmartTrack® Material applies a gentle, constant force, helps improve control of tooth movements, straightens teeth with 75 percent more predictability, ensures a snug fit, and reports treatment times up to 50 percent faster.

Invisalign even takes the time to trim each aligner individually, so it doesn't bother the patient's gum line. Every aligner is examined to ensure it meets Invisalign's high-quality standards.

SmartForce® Attachments

Patients with more complex dental issues might want to check out Invisalign's SmartForce® attachments. The attachments are small tooth-colored shapes that are bonded to the teeth either before or during the Invisalign treatment. It should be noted that getting the attachments doesn't require any drilling or numbing shots. They are simply attached to the front of the teeth and when the treatment is done can easily be polished off. The attachments merely give the aligners something to push on and help force the teeth into the right position.

SmartForce® Attachments are generally only used in more complex cases and not everyone who uses Invisalign will need the attachments.

Invisalign Teen

While invisible braces or clear aligners are generally more popular among adults, Invisalign notes that its technology is a great option for people of all ages. The clear aligners with precision wings can help fix class II malocclusions — this is where the upper and lower jaw don't line up. The mandibular advancement feature can help tweens and teen correct overbites while straightening their teeth at the same time.

Invisalign First is great for parents with younger children, ages 6 to 10, to start addressing any developing orthodontic problems. While many parents are hesitant to start their child's orthodontic treatment while they're so young, the Invisalign First clear aligner was designed for predictable results and a positive experience to better address the unique needs of growing children.

The clear aligners for teens have a built-in indicator dot that helps monitor progress. If your teen is wearing Invisalign correctly and for the recommended amount of time, the blue dot will fade. If your teen isn't wearing them as the treatment plan suggests, the blue dot will be visible to your orthodontist or dentist.

Invisalign is a viable option for both kids and teens, as the product is easily removable — making it easier to brush and floss, and the clear aligners were designed to be extremely comfortable — no more discomfort with metal brackets or poking wires tearing up the mouth.

The Bad

• Doctor Visits Required
  • Is Invisalign Right For You?
  • Invisalign Cost

Doctor Visits Required

Invisalign requires doctor visits in order to take an impression of your teeth, make adjustments to aligners, and to make payments. Other invisible braces companies cut out the doctor's visits and work directly with the customer, making the treatment time much quicker for.

Dentists and orthodontists act as a middle man between the customer and the Invisalign treatment. Although a dental professional is necessary for accurate teeth alignment, they do complicate the process when customers have to make regular appointments.

Invisalign suggests scheduling regular appointments with your doctor every four to six weeks.

Is Invisalign Right For You?

One of the most attractive features of invisible aligner providers is that most of them offer in-home teeth assessments and remote-doctor directed treatment, a foreign luxury to conventional braces. Invisalign works exclusively through individual dentists and orthodontists.

Those looking into getting clear braces can fill out Invisalign's Smile Assessment questionnaire to see if an Invisalign treatment is a viable option. However, Invisalign warns that the Smile Assessment does not replace the need for a consultation with a dentist or orthodontist, as only a trained Invisalign provider can determine whether a customer is a good candidate. While this is helpful information to know, it would be more useful if Invisalign stated whether the company offers a free consultation or not.

Invisalign Cost

How much does Invisalign cost for you? Invisalign advertises that the only thing its invisible aligners have in common with traditional metal braces is the price. Unfortunately, the price is the worst part about metal braces.

Invisalign could cost you anywhere from $3,500 to $7,100, without insurance, to straighten your teeth.

The Bottom Line

Invisalign is a great alternative to metal braces and a top contender in the invisible aligner industry.

While the company is the oldest invisible aligners provider in the industry that hasn't slowed its progress. Invisalign is continually introducing innovative technology and eliminating outdated, undesirable steps in the aligner process (no more goopy, gross tasting putty molds).

Patients working with online invisible aligner companies are often limited in the extra features aspect. Since Invisalign patients are working with a trained orthodontist or dentist, they often get a more personalized treatment plan. With Invisalign, complex orthodontic cases can determine if SmartForce® Attachments are needed either before or during the treatment plan. That's something other invisible aligner companies don't offer.

However, even though Invisalign offers impressive features and new technology, it comes at a price. The average cost for Invisalign braces is between $3,500 and $8,000. While insurance may cover some of the cost, it is significantly higher than other companies in the industry. Invisalign also doesn't make any mention of additional expenses such as replacement trays or how much its recommended Vivera® retainer will cost. While the final cost may vary depending on the Invisalign provider (whether that be an orthodontist or dentist), it would be helpful to customers to know a ballpark range of what the total cost will be.

Scroll down to read real customer Invisalign reviews or

View Best Invisible Braces Companies

adam Merrick, NY

invisalign ruined my bite and now my back teeth no longer contact and makes it difficult to chew...when my dentist tried to correct this invisalign came up with a two year additional plan (i wore for 2 years already) . I asked for a refund to go to orthodontist but they refused

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Very expensive. However, if you are not wanting to get braces, Invisalign is the way to go. There are more responsibilities that come with the Invisalign, but will work. May take longer to work then braces though.

Kelya Reid Tallahassee, FL

great method for straightening teeth. you get your own customizable treatment for a very affordable price along with insurance

Sheri Wiggins Upper Marlboro, MD

Loved the Invisalign clear teeth straightening system; took a short time to straighten my teeth.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

AMAZING! while i am not totally done with my Invisalign, I am amaze how great the experience has been to date. Technology is incredible, and the process has been seamless.

Margaret Beus Richland, WA

My dentist recommended Invisalign to straighten my teeth so I agreed. They did a fairly good job of straightening but ruined my bite. Consequently, I had to have regular braces that still weren’t completely successful. This product is likely good for people whose teeth were once straight and just need to be returned but I wouldn’t recommend using them for the initial straightening.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I am currently using Invisalign and so far am happy with the results. I did have one of my trays that was bent out of shape when I opened it for the first time so it wouldn't fit in my mouth and I had to go to the orthodontist to address the problem (I ended up skipping that tray because it wouldn't fit) but that was the only snag I have encoutered so far. The whole process has taken longer than my orthodontist originally estimated but I think that is pretty normal across all brands.

Emily H Provo, UT

After having braces throughout high school, the last thing I wanted to hear was that I needed braces again in my 20s! Invisalign made it a practically painless process--not rubber bands, no wires poking, and best of all--no one can tell you have braces. The process is a little longer than traditional braces, but definitely worth the benefits!

Corbin Short ,

I used Invisalign for 2 years through an orthodontist in Utah called Thompson Orthodontists. It has really been a great experience. I never had braces as a kid so I got Invisalign when I was 22 (didn't want braces in my wedding photos). I am sure it was just as painful, if not less painful than braces, and no one could ever tell I had trays in. Some cases are not eligible for Invisalign, but a lot of cases are. If you are eligible, I would strongly recommend using Invisalign, especially if you can find a place you can do it for the same price of braces. It is well worth it, and they are just as effective.

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

I've had Invisalign for the past 5 years and honestly, they do a great job. At first, I resisted using the retainer that I was given, but after embracing the treatment, I was really surprised at the quality of the product. I had a gap in my teeth that needed fixing and Invisalign did such a good job closing it.

CoachTrista Englewood, CO

I am SO HAPPY with my Invisalign experience. It was smooth, fast and my smile is perfect again! I needed these at an older age because my teeth began to move again oddly enough and I couldn't be happier that I decided to do a quick fix and invisalign made the most sense!

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I just started using invisalign. It has been an easy and worry free experience so far. There is a little pain, but I believe that is normal when you are realigning your teeth.

Melissa Providence, UT

Easy to wear! Easy to take in and out. Love that my teeth got straight and my bite was corrected.

Scott Billings Smithfield, UT

I have not personally used this product but I know it’s a high vale company and I hold stock in the company.

Mat A Rancho Cordova, CA

I am currently using Invisalign and I can see the difference. By the time I am done with all my trays, my teeth will look great. I’m very impressed so far.

Rachel Logan, UT

I am a dental assistant and we use Invisalign frequently at our office. Our patients love it! We’ve seen great results. On our end, they are great to work with as far as making treatment plans and answering our questions to provide quality results for our patients.

perscilla Tallahassee, FL

I love how the prices are affordable. Which made me take more of an interest in Invisalign over braces. The company also have good customer service. The only thing I don't like it is the response time sometimes.

Lacey Antee Atlanta, GA

The invisalign is so comfortable, is extremely reliable, and is not too expensive. My teeth are a lot better since I've started!

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

A quick and easy way to have your teeth straightened. in my experience, cheaper than braces and isnt as obvious as braces. When my dog chewed on one of my trays, they quickly sent replacements!

Susanna Collins Long Beach, MS

Invisalign is truly great. They are comfortable and make my teeth look great. Love it

Khanh Nguyen Houston, TX

Invisalign worked great for me. However, there was this one flaw. When I had to wear bands with my aligners, the little hook that you attach the band to kept breaking off. Therefore, I couldn’t put on the bands.

Angel Torres Norcross, GA

Invisalign literally saved my teeth before my teeth were crooked And the people at my school literally made fun of me now thanks to Invisalign my teeth are nice and straight and my self confidence is restored

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

I loved using Invisalign, the results were great. And I felt like the price was very reasonable for what we got and the time it took.

Gayle Greene ,

My daughter did Invisalign and we were not impressed. It was expensive and she didn’t get a great result.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

While I have not personally used Invisalign, several of my family members have. This is such a great product for those who need minor correction in their teeth. It doesn't break the bank, and my kids have loved having an alternative to braces!

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

Less hassle than braces, not as visible and simple and easy process to straightening teeth.

L. J. Y New York, NY

I had my Invisalign done at NYU, saving myself a bundle of $$$ and getting my front 12 teeth in much better alignment, and helped my bite to chew food much better. Invisalign is just terrific, the system works super well only if you are diligent and disciplined about wearing them continuously, except when working. A friend and I started at the same time, she dropped off. Sad. Slightly painful , uncomfortable at first, Cannot deny that, but overall process totally worth it and with superior results. Would request multiple night braces After process finished , to keep my teeth in alignment, instead of just 1 measley pair. A few years later, Now I must go back again to get a few new pair made. Not convenient! Love Invisalign.

Kevin Liu Sandy, UT

These are a great fix to help straighten your teeth without needing braces and super easy to put in

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I used invisalign last year and it has worked amazingly! I'm so happy with the results. I had my braces when I was younger, but needed a bit of adjustments since I lost my retainer and it's great!

Cat Mendez Apache Junction, AZ

it does straighten ur teeth but it’s so intensely painful the entire time. taking them out to eat doesn’t work because ur teeth ache so bad that touching them sends jolts of pain everywhere. this doesn’t get better the more u wear them. i’ve had them for more than a year and they are still insanely painful to wear and especially to take out. my teeth are slightly straighter but they do not do a good job of rotating crowded teeth.

Jennifer Newport News, VA

I was told I would have them for 17 weeks. I was shown on computer what my teeth would look like. There was only 3 questions I had at the beginning 1. Would they correct my 2 front teeth? 1 is overlapping the other a little. 2. My 2 front teeth are longer? Can it correct? 3. I was hit by a wave which knocked my bottom teeth loose. I had a root canal on 4 of them. Can Invisalign straighten them? I was told yes on 1 & 3 and #2 they said when my teeth were straightened it would appear that my teeth were the same length. The computer generated improvement was wonderful. My front teeth move back to 1 overlapping when I have mine out for 3 hrs. It seems to me that they don’t correct your teeth at the gum level but only align your teeth at the ends of your teeth.

Dan Sandy, UT

I had invisalign and it was amazing compared to normal braces. Took about 8 months and it was really convinient

Rathan Kumar Louisville, CO

Have been with invisalign for a year so far. Great product that is easy to use and fits better in my mouth than other brands!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

My daughter has these. Helps align your teeth very fast, however it can be uncomfortable at times and definitely pricier than the competitors.

Holly Brown Saint Amant, LA

hurt and somewhat hard to keep up with everything, but gave the results I wanted so badly

Seth Boudoin Roseland, LA

Very comfortable for my teeth and didn’t have to deal with the metal braces cutting my lips and gums.

Msindoni Pembroke Pines, FL

Invisalign was an experience like now other. I saw results almost immediately and the whole process was a breeze. I thank Invisalign every day for my perfect smile.

Alyssa ,

totally fixed my teeth placement although it isn’t always comfortable to wear. blah

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I used Invisalign and absolutely loved it. It took about 9 months to straighten my teeth, but it totally worked. It fixed and closed the spaces in my teeth. I loved that I didn’t need braces. It was a great action for me.

Melanie Johnston Las Vegas, NV

I used Invisalign to fix my teeth after turning 40. They company and my orthodontist allowed me to do as many corrections desired until I was completely happy with my teeth and smile.

Robert Wilson Rockville, MD

I am currently using Invisalign for upper and lower teeth. You really cannot tell that I am wearing them - your teeth just look a little bit shiny. It is a bit of a pain having to take them out and clean them when you eat. But it beats having braces which are very intrusive. I do feel like the price could be better but am happy with the results.

Kilee Wagner Bountiful, UT

Invisalign was such a great option for me. Half the time, no brackets or wires, and no one even knew I was going through orthodontics. Highly recommend!

JamieD Saratoga Springs, UT

My 17 yr old just finished his treatment plan and I’m amazed how quickly and easily he finished up. We love the results and his total treatment was about 13 months

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

I had a great experience with Invisalign, although it takes longer than regular braces. I loved being able to take them off, but hated sticking my hands in my mouth to get them out. That's hard when you aren't around any soap. You always have to hide or turn away when taking them out so your spit doesn't go all over. I do wish they were daily disposable.

Amy Christian Las Vegas, NV

I’m one month into Invisalign and I can already see improvements in my teeth! The trays and not as uncomfortable as I was fearing. The first day after changing the trays can be sore but after that it’s ok. Easy to clean the trays

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

I have used Invisalign for about two years now! I have seen massive changes in my teeth and they have gotten so much straighter.

Holly Brogdon Los Angeles, CA

I've had invisalign for less than a week and I'm already having to make a second emergency trip to the orthodontist to replace broken brackets/ attachments. I've been as careful as I possibly could have been while removing my aligners and the attachment still keep falling off. The claim that you dont have to make any emergency trips to the ortho is 100% bs.

Camille Lynnwood, WA

Have had several pair with flaws. Weird cut outs, to high in places cutting into gums, or just plain can’t get them to fit and stay in.

Makayla Manus Miami, FL

It works like a miracle. It keeps everything in place and is so easy to use. I don't even really forget to use it.

Endia Gulfport, MS

Easy to use and keep up with. Results can be seen almost immediately. I would definitely recommend.