PrivacyGuard

PrivacyGuard Logo

PrivacyGuard

Identity protection services range from $9.99 to $24.99 per month

Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, PrivacyGuard is an identity theft protection company that provides individuals with credit monitoring, credit reports, and credit scores. The company strives to educate its customers on topics relating to credit, identity theft, and identity protection. PrivacyGuard also offers an advanced identity theft protection service in which customers can receive immediate text, email, or phone notifications if there are changes made to their credit file.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

#1 IdentityIQ Logo IdentityIQ ›

6.8

Overall
Score

#2 MyIDCare Logo MyIDCare ›

6.5

Overall
Score

#3 LifeLock Logo LifeLock ›

6.4

Overall
Score

PrivacyGuard Logo PrivacyGuard ›

Insufficient
Reviews

The Good

• Credit Services
  • Multiple Plan Options
  • Educational Resources

Credit Services

PrivacyGuard customers receive access to their credit reports and scores from all three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Customers can track their scores and set specified alerts for certain changes or milestones. In addition, PrivacyGuard's credit monitoring services scan public and private databases and alert customers of any detected suspicious activity or privacy risks immediately.

Multiple Plan Options

The company offers three different identity protection plans for customers to choose from. The ID Protection plan includes dedicated fraud support, identity verification monitoring, black market website surveillance, social security number event tracker, online directory scan, annual public records report, public records monitoring, online fraud assistance, reduced pre-approved credit card offers, lost wallet assistance, and up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. Privacy Guard's Credit Protection plan includes credit reports and scores, 24/7 daily credit monitoring, monthly credit score tracking, credit scores simulator, financial calculator suite, credit information hotline, and dedicated identity fraud resolution support. Lastly, the company's Total Protection plan offers everything from both the ID Protection plan and the Credit Protection plan.

Educational Resources

PrivacyGuard provides its customers with educational resources and tools to help them better understand credit and theft protection. Additionally, customers may contact a PrivacyGuard customer service representative for answers to any questions they may have.

The Bad

• Government Action
  • Service Limitations

Government Action

In 2013, government action was taken against PrivacyGuard's parent company, Affinion Group, regarding allegations that the company misled customers into signing up for discount clubs and membership offers. The investigation uncovered several misleading marketing practices and Affinion Group paid out $19 million to affected customers.

Service Limitations

PrivacyGuard is heavily reliant on credit monitoring regarding the major credit reporting agencies and does not appear to offer a variety of other important identity protection features, including bank account monitoring, identity restoration, and antivirus software. It is also unclear whether or not PrivacyGuard services customers with pre-existing identity theft conditions.

The Bottom Line

PrivacyGuard is an identity protection company that offers a number of credit and theft protection services, including access to credit reports and scores from the major credit reporting agencies, multiple sensitive data protection plan options which include up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, and offers several educational security resources to its users. However, the company does not appear to provide a variety of important identity protection services including antivirus software, bank account monitoring, identity restoration, or pre-existing identity theft condition assistance.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

2.5

Tony Maietta
November 27th, 2017 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

I would not recommend this company as a secure, highly technical place to do business with. Here's what happened: My bank replaced my credit card for security reasons. I went to PG's website to provide the new credit card and found out that my account was canceled. On 11/16, I spoke with a person and they took my new credit card. They told me I would have my account back in 24-48 hours. I also told them that my husband had an account with the same credit card. They said he would have to give them a new credit card as well. They never told me that there can only be one credit card per membership. I asked if there was a way to expedite the process. They said the only way is to set up a new account with a new email address and credit card. We did this for my husband's account but I opted to keep my existing account as I have more historical data in mine. I waited the 24-48 hours and my account was still not activated. I called on 11/20 and was told that the previous person did not enter the card correctly. This supervisor ensured me that my account would be back up within 24-48 hours. It wasn't. I called today and spoke with Vernon and Tara. For the first time, I was told that we cannot use the same credit card for both my husband and I. Vernon said the executive office could make an exception. He put me through to Nayeli who informed me that they COULD NOT make an exception. I asked her what they do if a family only has one credit card that they use. She said, "They can find another service." Shocked by this answer and the lack of training and sloppy handling of my credit card information and my account, I decided to not do business with this company. I recommend that no one does business with this company if they value their personal and financial information. It shouldn't take 3 phone calls to find out what the problem was. They shouldn't have a restriction that limits participation in their program only to families with more than one credit card and they should train their staff better to ensure they are giving correct information and not causing extended delays when trying to correct a credit card issue.

John Rizzo
June 15th, 2016 Cape Coral, FL

While the credit keeping seems good with aids to help in planning...better hope you never need customer service. I was having a problem with accessing my account. I contacted Customer Service which transferred me to Technical Support. After being on hold for 15 minutes listening to loud, obnoxious music....the line suddenly went dead. Was I disconnected? Who knows...just dead silence for another 10 minutes. Eventually I just hung up and called back...placed on hold again and stayed for another 15 miniutes with the usual 'your call is important to us...we will be with your shortly...' every couple of minutes. Eventually I had to hang up again. Good luck if you need their help. Not happy.

K Ali
February 3rd, 2016 Philadelphia, PA

I have used Privacy Guard (Pguard) for 9 years. They offer a comprehensive credit report that is well organized and easy to understand. The email/text notifications are definitely a highlight of the service. I had a dispute about something on my report and Pguard help streamline the change with the credit bureaus. $15 a month too... Not bad.

John
February 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

I have been a customer for over 11 years then come to find out that their customer service is indifferent to problems. In looking elsewhere I find that there is more value from other services and that these other services provide a much more professional level service. I would not recommend.

Lor Pete
December 2nd, 2015 Buffalo, NY

I created an account and got in the first time but after that I can't get into the account to pull my credit report with that password I set it up with anymore and was locked out of it. Its so frustrating with that and the fact trying to reach a customer link.

MARIE W
June 9th, 2015 Orlando, FL

I've been using Privacy Guard for about a year now. First off, the price per month, as stated in this review is NOT 19.99 BUT IT'S LOWER - ONLY 14.99 PER MONTH!!!!! Secondly, I get ALL the alerts texted to my cell phone, which is wonderful, however, you do need to setup the alerts when initially setting up the account. My personal goal is to increase my scores, so EVERY MONTH, I get my 3 new reports and updated scores, which is very informative. This service also offers dispute assistance just by calling them up amongst other services. Very happy so far!!

Jeff
March 18th, 2015 Greenville, OH

I've tried other credit services and have always gone back to Privacy Guard. It does a very good job of sending email notices of activity on my credit report, +/- fico score alerts and I get get a new credit report with all three scores every three months. I'm very happy with this service.

JJ
February 23rd, 2015 Hyannis, MA

PrivacyGuard was offer to me through my Citibank credit card account. For years it seemed to be working ok with alerts and access at-will of my credit report. For me, that was the value proposition - free access to my credit reports. However, when my credit card was compromised through a retail vendor, Citibank cancelled and re-issued my card with a new acct no. Since PrivacyGuard did not have my new acct no., the bill went unpaid... AND THEY NEVER ALERTED ME !!! So, without any notice, my PrivacyGuard service was cancelled. Of course, I did not renew - and it speaks volumes of how utterly unaware and careless they are of their customers.

Alexis
June 9th, 2014 Decatur, GA

I needed basic credit monitoring so PrivacyGuard was perfect. My troubles came when I lost my debit card, replaced it and forgot to update payment info. They tried to charge my old card once and of course it didn't go through. But instead of calling me or emailing me they totally canceled my account. Keep in mind I had been a paying customer for at least a full year. When I called to try to reactivate my account I was told that was not possible. I lost all the records that I had PAID for. WhenI spoke with a manager he yelled at me and basically told me there was nothing to be done and I should have updated payment info . Every other company I deal with emailed or called when my payments didn't go through and I didn't lose any accounts. I basically through my money into a black hole and got yelled at for their lack of drive for their sale. I let the manager know he lost a customer and 5 minutes later I cancelled my account. Terrible customer service.