First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims and has a large network of contractors. Warranty plans last for one year, and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2018.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider provides coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. 35+ years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional peace of mind for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances. First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American’s warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage may vary by location):

The Basic Plan - $28/month or $300/year

• Garage Door Opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central Vacuum System

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your home warranty plan:

• Central Air Conditioning (electric) - $9
  • Additional Refrigeration - $4
  • Pool/Spa Equipment - $15
  • Well Pump - $7
  • First Class Upgrade - $9

Coverage Limits

Unlike some others, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection be done by a contractor or maintenance records be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The company also provides extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline and a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative rewards highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchase decision.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With monthly payment options and multiple plans, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind, but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. However, the home warranty company does have some negative reviews. We suggest looking through the reviews before determining if First American Home Warranty is the right home warranty provider for you.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.3

sean R Zavala
June 25th, 2019 Covina, CA DETAILS

Do not sign up with First American Home warranty.They Denied are Claims 2 TIMES. They Denied are Claim On Our CENTRALAIR CONDITIONING UNIT and We waited a WEEK for a AC GUY to come out Then THE AC guy Took our 75 Dollars and said your your denied the AC Unit drain pan and plumbing leakung was not properly installed.Then he said i can fix it for another 575.00.What a rip.

Gladys Santis
June 25th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

This is the absolute worst insurance company I have ever done business with. They don't send the correct technicians to fix an issue. My house has had a really bad leak for two weeks, and they still have not sent a technician to fix this. My walls and floors are now destroyed because of their lack of responsibility and proper customer service. I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody. They deserve a no star review, and I can't wait for my contract to end, so I can find a better insurance company.

Jarrett Zongker
June 25th, 2019 Clemmons, NC DETAILS

In my dealings with First American Home Warranty, both the quality of the contractors they employ and their customer service are the worst. You would be better off setting aside the money you pay monthly into savings for your repairs. This is my second AC claim this year and both have taken more than a month to work out. This time the contractor (Southern Services of Lexington) who came out refused to test the system. They reported it as a cleaning issue to First American who closed the ticket since that is a maintenance issue not covered by warranty. I know it is a Freon leak, since I have had to put Freon in every year. The contractors First American sent out have just put a little Freon in each summer and do not address my concerns about a leak. Well the service tech Tyler said I could clean it myself if I wanted. When I reported that I had cleaned the unit, the service company realizing they were not going to get an extra $190 from me changed their tune and told the warranty company it had to be chemically cleaned. That service cost $250 dollars. When I cried foul to First American they told me they had to go by their contractor's expertise. The same contractor that called the gas company on me because their tech smelled a leak... prior to the tech actually arriving. So far, my dealings with customer service include a rep calling me to tell me my claim was denied, since they were told it was a cleaning issue, and when I tried to explain the situation talked over me to finish her script. Now I’ve been assigned resolution agent, Yanci G, but her extension goes straight to voicemail and she has yet to answer my emails. I have even notated updates on the ticket but I assume since it was denied, no one checks those. The one time Yanci called me, she said if I got a second opinion, pay for it out of pocket, and it turns out to not be a cleaning issue they would research if I could be reimbursed. Now that I have submitted an email with photographic proof the unit is not in the same state as Southern Services claims, and the work order from the out of service contractor showing low Freon it has been crickets.

Travis
June 25th, 2019 Blacklick, OH DETAILS

Any issues we've called for, they're very quick getting it taken care of. I haven't had any problems with it.

Angie
June 25th, 2019 Fayetteville, GA DETAILS

We have had no issues, everything is fine. Everything is quick, people come and are nice and friendly and get everything done within a week. We've used it four or five times and it's always great.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Angie for your review.

Rebecca
June 25th, 2019 Villa Rica, GA DETAILS

Customer service is always willing to answer questions and help out when you have problems. They always respond in a timely manner. I had a backed up toilet and they got it cleared up the next day. They do a good job for a great value.

Jun 25, 2019

We appreciate your review, Rebecca.

Michael
June 25th, 2019 The Lakes, NV DETAILS

Every time I call them, they come through with somebody right away and try to fix the problem. It is simple, you call and they come. I used it for the garage opener and the guy came the next day and replaced it within the hour.

Jeremy
June 25th, 2019 Marietta, GA DETAILS

They are kind of difficult to get a hold of at first but it was pretty good. They do what they say they are going to do and send somebody out to investigate.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Jeremy for your review.

Timothy
June 25th, 2019 New Caney, TX DETAILS

Recently I used it for air conditioning, which I had to get replaced. They do a pretty good job of keeping up with me and making sure things get done.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Timothy for your feedback.

June 25th, 2019 Bella Vista, AR DETAILS

Had it 3 or four 4 and I have no issues with them. The only thing I would changing is being forced to pay the fees online versus paying the people who fix the problem for you.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you for your review and for choosing First American.

Doniele
June 25th, 2019 Glen Echo, MD DETAILS

I didn't like the other company I was using. I am always able to get through with First American and get support online.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Doniele. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

David
June 25th, 2019 Maryville, TN DETAILS

I'm in real estate and I always tell people to go with first American. Recently I needed to use my warranty because my refrigerator went on the fritz and it saved me a thousand dollars. Customer support always is prompt and works with me to get me what I need.

Jun 25, 2019

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate it.

Joe
June 25th, 2019 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

First American provided service in a timely manner and rekeyed the new house me bought.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Joe for your review.

Eric
June 25th, 2019 Felton, CA DETAILS

I'd recommend them because they've been fantastic and responsive. They got them out here in a timely fashion and had the problem fixed. They make sure to follow up to make sure that everything was fixed and taken care of.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you for your kind words Eric.

Brian
June 25th, 2019 Arlington, TN DETAILS

Several times I have used First American Home Warranty and it's always a good experience. They respond quickly. There is always room for improvement but they seem to get somebody out there quickly and they have a good quality of supplier and the work always seems to be high quality. My water heater was leaking the last couple of weeks and I had a good experience with First American and the vendor that came out.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank your Brian for your review.

Bobbie
June 25th, 2019 Iowa Park, TX DETAILS

Every time I call, I never have a problem with the service, it's exceptional. I had to use it for my refrigerator.

Eloise
June 25th, 2019 Estero, FL DETAILS

Had them for many years and I've had good service. For the most part, they set up appointments up, I don't know if they have much control over the vendors. I wish they would listen with I suggest someone good or closed. Customer service is very knowledgeable and easy to get a hold of.

Jun 25, 2019

We appreciate your review Eloise. Thank you.

Christian
June 25th, 2019 Aransas Pass, TX DETAILS

I've been happy with the service out of First American. My water heater was fixed immediately.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Christian for your review.

Patty
June 25th, 2019 Morro Bay, CA DETAILS

It's a great value. I choose to use it on some plumbing issues two weeks ago and they were outstanding, they were very quick and I am a very happy client. I don't like the going to the one eight hundred number because that is a robot and you can't get anybody to talk to. I am constantly emailing my representative or inside people so I can get the service I want. It is difficult to put in a claim on the phone because they're not from America and are hard to understand.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Patty for your review.

Christopher
June 25th, 2019 Carrollton, TX DETAILS

So far they seem to provide a good service, we haven't had any problems yet so we keep renewing. One of their plumbers we had problems with, it was very difficult to work with and First American was good and intervened and we got the work completed finally. I wish it was easier to get a new company from the beginning and there was more choices in my area.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Christopher for your feedback.

Julie
June 25th, 2019 San Clemente, CA DETAILS

First American Home Warranty gets back to you in a timely response. They fix it for you and know what they are doing. I think it is really good, that is why we continued.

Jun 25, 2019

We appreciate your review, Julie.

James
June 25th, 2019 Hemet, CA DETAILS

It came with the purchase on my home. They respond quickly. When the lights wouldn't work in the garage, they ran a new line.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you James for your review.

Ciro
June 25th, 2019 Port Isabel, TX DETAILS

I've used it twice and had the issues. The first time they said they fixed it and it wasn't fixed and they haven't come through.

Gary
June 25th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS

We needed to use it to repair our dishwasher and it took three or four weeks to get the right part but they eventually did fix it. We are able to speak to someone in customer support when the repair people were supposed to be out.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Gary for your review.

Mario
June 25th, 2019 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS

First American has a lot of good tech people available to fix the problem and plumbing and electrical etc. Their phone people are knowledgeable and serviceable and I like the way the speak to the customer. I don't have any bad comments, I hope they continue the same way and I plan to buy it again.

Jun 25, 2019

Hi Mario. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate it.

Fahim
June 25th, 2019 San Ramon, CA DETAILS

We have been pretty satisfied when we contact them. They are very professional and polite and easily accessible.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Fahim, we appreciate your review

Thomas
June 25th, 2019 Humble, TX DETAILS

Used it twice and it is just good. Customer support is very professional.

Patrick
June 25th, 2019 Waynesville, OH DETAILS

It was a part of what the seller offered us as a part of the home sale. Their responsiveness is very good and the offer us a good deal by just having to pat the copay. Our plumbing was backed up and it was taken care of for a reasonable price.

Jun 25, 2019

Hi Patrick, we appreciate your feedback.

June 25th, 2019 Cornville, AZ DETAILS

We've used it one time and it was quick. They were courteous and did a good job.

Charles
June 25th, 2019 Aransas Pass, TX DETAILS

They've always done what they say they are going to do. I have a little problem with the monthly fee, I think seventy five dollars is a little high but that is my only problem.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you for your review, Charles.

Pat
June 25th, 2019 El Mirage, AZ DETAILS

My realtor recommended First American. The one claim we have put in was expedited very rapidly and the service was excellent. It was almost perfection. Paying for a new garage opener would be a lot more than what I pay for the service.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Pat for your review and for choosing First American.

Briana
June 25th, 2019 Terry, MS DETAILS

It was great customer service. I was able to get in contact and in one day after the request, they came out in the morning.

Jun 20, 2019

Hi Briana. Thank you for your review.

Magaly
June 25th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Customer service is not really that helpful. When I call First American, I have to wait for a long time. I have to wait until they get a contractor and I think older people and people with kids should be a priority and they don't do that. I am getting what I paid for.

Jun 25, 2019

Hi Magaly. We appreciate your feedback.

Joel
June 25th, 2019 DETAILS

Everything I've called about, the problem was resolved quickly and easily. Overall it is a pleasant experience. We used it for a plumber and the contractor that came out was very efficient, professional, and knowledgeable.

Carol
June 25th, 2019 Morristown, TN DETAILS

They worked with mt when I had an issue and I was satisfied with the outcome.

Jun 25, 2019

Thank you Carol for your review.

June 25th, 2019 DETAILS

I haven't had any major issues with First American. We trust them and they are reliable. We had issues with our fridge and it was finally repaired for good.

Pam Gutierrez
June 24th, 2019 Weslaco, TX DETAILS

I had a gas leak in my home. It was diagnosed by the gas company as a major leak. They immediately cut off the gas service pending a plumber evaluation to locate and fix the problem within my home. An emergent claim was submitted to the company that same day, and the soonest available day for service was 5 days later. Now, seven days after the initial claim, First American has declined my claim. I was not notified of this until I contacted the plumber and was told by him that the claim was denied the day before. Upon calling once again to First American, a representative stated that the claim was denied because they themselves concluded that the gas leak is outside the walls of my home and they are not responsible for that. Neither the serviceman from the gas company nor the plumber concluded that the leak was outside of the home. I asked them to explain how the smell of gas was in the home and they could not. I asked them to explain how they came to this conclusion (after the First American contracted plumber who initially evaluated the problem by spraying soapy water on the pipes) did not detect a gas leak on the outside pipe and concluded it must be within the wall in his report. They simply said if you can provide us with proof that the gas leak is within the home we can look into it further. We decided to hire a plumber that is not affiliated with First American, and they immediately discovered the leak was inside, within the walls. When calling back to a customer representative and telling our story for the umpteenth time, they said that they had to send their own plumber again and would classify it as “emergent”. I explained that I have 2 young children that cry when I have bathe them in cold water and didn’t have another 5 days to wait for another evaluation. She said it wouldn’t take that long. When she received the invoice from this last plumber stating the problem was inside the home, as requested by her, the call was “lost”. This was the 3rd time in 2 days that the called was lost. We rented a hotel room for the first couple of days to bathe our children in warm water and have not been able to prepare any home cooked meals for the past week. This company has horrible customer service and does everything they can to put you on hold and dance around the issue. There is absolutely no sense of urgency on their part, ever. One lady even tried telling us that we didn’t renew our contract so we wouldn’t be able to submit a claim, which had already been submitted days before. Coincidentally, the auto payment had cleared that same day. She hung up on us as well when it was pointed out to her. Stay away from them if you value your home and family.

victor elliott
June 24th, 2019 Manteca, CA DETAILS

This company is a waste of time you give them money pay for contract then they ask money from you to send a free contractor out to look at it. Then they split hairs when it comes to what they cover they have a word in there contract that says " all other" another words if we dont want to cover it we dont have to unless its cheap for them

Anthony N Jowid
June 24th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

First American Home Warranty and their service is very bad. I called regarding an HVAC issue, and it took the company a few weeks to locate a contractor to make a service visit. I had to call back to find out when one would arrive. Once a contractor arrived, he indicated he did not have the equipment to inspect/fix my issue. I was charged $75 for about a 5 minute visit. I also called FAHW regarding a plumbing issue. Explained to the customer service rep it was an exterior pipe issue. The contractor arrived and immediately informed me FAHW does not cover exteriors. I was charged $75. $150 charged for no work performed...both issues were explained on the phone to the FAHW service rep. Horrible experiences.

Sven
June 24th, 2019 Alameda, CA DETAILS

4 months after trying to get my washing machine fixed, it is still not working. I have dealt with 25 people at First American and every single one of them is incompetent. Most can barely understand or speak english. None have followed through to get to a solution. I have been promised a replacement machine after numerous unsuccessful fix attempts, but even this they are useless at delivering on.

Steve
June 21st, 2019 Huffman, TX DETAILS

The only reason they received one star is because there wasn't a choice for zero stars. Water heater went out. Service provider said I had to remove my AC ductwork, deck the attic and pay them $350 for non covered piping modifications. They offered to give me a cash out offer of $527.70 for heater and installation. The cheapest heater (same size and Btu) is $540.61. You get the bottom of the bottom on service providers because FAHW pays them peanuts which is what the surcharge actually is for. Only buy this warranty if you are on blood pressure medication and double it if you need to call them.

Mario camacho
June 21st, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS

DO NOT GET THIS WARRANTY....I’ve been trying to get the AC repaired. Now it’s going on a month and they keep on switching contractors but no repair yet. Worse company I’ve dealt with.

Karen M.
June 20th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

If I could give ZERO stars to this company if I would! We purchased this warranty for our home a few months ago and what a mistake it was. After having our air conditioner stop working this past week, we had a company come out to repair it. They decided they couldn't repair it because the the air conditioner was too close to our home. Their solution was to take the wall out of our beautiful, expensive home. We contacted customer service to let them know this was not an option and it needed to be replaced. The representative was unprofessional and RUDE!! If you are thinking of paying for this warranty DO NOT DO IT!!! You will be throwing money away. I will be turning them into the attorney general in our state letting know that this company is a SCAM!!

Traci Browning
June 20th, 2019 Duncan, SC DETAILS

My experience has been horrible. I filed a claim to get my AC unit repaired. Its been 2 months and it still is not working. Customer service is not helpful. It is way too hot to have to wait so long to get a service repaired.

HG
June 20th, 2019 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

First American Home Warranty is a complete waste of time and money. They do not cover what they say they do. It took 3 months for them to finally get my bathroom faucet repaired, after determining that I need a new faucet. They then told me that my faucet doesn't leak, and after proving that it actually does leak, they finally admitting that they had to order a part to fix both hot and cold sides in order to get the faucet repaired. I could have done this months sooner for a fraction of the cost. Don't waste your time or money.

Doricela
June 20th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I purchased First American Home Warranty when I closed my home escrow. Few months later my refrigerator broke down so I called them to make a claim, a month later my refrigerator is still not working because the company they hired wasn’t able to fix it. I called them to request another company for what they said they can’t because I am still under the first company warranty, I explained them that this is the third time I have to throw my food away because of that issue and they offered me to call a rental company and rent a refrigerator, I said sure go ahead and look for a company for me and have them deliver the refrigerator to my home, their response was that the rental service were not going to be covered under their warranty that I have to pay out of pocket. This company is a joke, this does not make any sense at all, so I basically have to pay a rental company around $300 plus delivery! That’s just not right. For those of you who are in the process of purchasing a home don’t ever buy this home warranty is just a waste of money.

Judy
June 20th, 2019 Pittsboro, NC DETAILS

I use the warranty recently twice. Once was for the water heater. They came out, replace it, but told me they needed to do some upgrades to bring the water heater up to code or something like that. So I had to pay extra for that. Then they said they needed to install a pressure regular valve because my water pressure was too high - so there was another service charge for that. After they finished, I had a water filter that apparently was leaking. They charged another service call to take that off and put the pipes back together. And they never replaced the water heater. That was not a wonderful experience. A couple weeks ago, I had some electrical problems and they sent out a wonderful electrician. He came and repaired all of the electrical problems I had in a very short time. And all of that was one service charge, which is exactly how it was supposed to work. I was very happy with it. Today I actually recommended them to a friend of mine who was working with a different company. Her company would only give her an allowance to fix things.

Jun 20, 2019

Thank you Judy for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate it.

Bronwyn Philips
June 19th, 2019 DETAILS

It took 2 full weeks from the day I placed my claim to the day the motor on the air conditioner was fixed - way too long in the hot weather!

Cathy Jacobson
June 19th, 2019 DETAILS

STill waiting to get my pool circuit board fixed, 3 service trips still not fixed. Very disappointed.

Jun 20, 2019

Hello Cathy. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. At this time, we are aware that the repairs to your pool/spa have been completed.

Helen Kamin
June 19th, 2019 DETAILS

They lied about when emergency service would take placeplace. No return phone calls when indicated they would with status information. Representative refused to let me speak with a supervisor. Don''t think they really have them as all calls were answered in El Salvador or Guatemala. Request to have ac issue turned in as emergency due to severe health issues. Request was turned in as normal. Service took more than 5 days with emergency status. This is unacceptable. After more than 15 years with a company, one does not ex