First American Home Warranty

8.0

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Kathy Triplett Vicksburg, MS

In the areas related to handling my requests for services, assigning contractors, keeping me updated and every issue related to my service requests... I rate First American at the highest level! However, my only complaint is related to the promotion for referring others to First American. I have referred several customers to First American. However, because the only way that First American tracks referrals is by these individuals following an online link, neither I, nor the other customers were given the benefit rewards of the promotion. Because most new customers are going to opt to call to speak with a representative before they enlist First American’s services, they are not going to utilize the link. I think there should be another way for new customers to tell you who referred them. Otherwise, it gives the appearance that the promotion was never really intended to provide the promised rewards. Because I have been a customer for so long, I do not think this to be the case. However, newer customers might not be convinced.

Laura Glismann Blue Diamond, NV

I rate my personal contact ROB with 5 stars, and I rate the Plumbing guy VICTOR from Ideal Plumbing with 5 stars. I have to say that the phone service at general customer service needs work. They are lacking comprehensive training. I was on hold too long, one disconnected and did not call back. Chrome would not sign me in, and after changing my password, which I did not want to do, I got signed in on Safari. Once on Safari I could not locate my contract and neither could the gal who helped me on the second phone call. All I could see was a SAMPLE contract. Oh, the CHAT system is useless.

George Hot Springs Village, AR

All things considered... My only complaint is that the telephone call center personnel do not speak clear English. One would guess that the call center is not a US company and not located in the USA. I would prefer FAHW put Americans to work rather than other countries. My only experience this year took two companies to fix. The first one made three trips and failed to notice that a wire was disconnected. Instead they blamed rodents for eating the insulation. While that did happen, it was not the cause of the problem and they gave up. The second company found a disconnected wire and reconnected it - problem solved. 4 stars only.

Terry Phoenix, AZ

Almost always direct but during my last call the people I wanted in the first place for my heating issue was ultimately the company that took care of everything. Kappa Air is fantastic and the job was given over or transferred from Seabreeze who did nothing!

John Brandon, MS

Because of First America's flexibility of assigning me the preferred FAHW contractor in my area, as opposed to being simply assigned a random contractor (others of which I have not been satisfied with in the past). This is the reason I stayed with FAHM.

Mark Harrison Dickinson, TX

Never had a problem very professional I've always got the work that I need it in a timely matter I've been with them 14 years and I've never once had a bad representative come out and do shoddy work I'm just very pleased my reasoning prepare the warranty is I don't really miss the $65 a month but if something breaks and I have to come up with five or six hundred or a thousand or even more if I didn't have the warranty that would probably be an issue

William H. Burton, Jr. Barstow, CA

It is only because they have been really good to me as their customer. Each and every time that I may have experienced any problems or issues; they were always opened to be of an excellent help and assistance to our household. That’s why I can honestly say that I would keep them as well as recommend them but most definitely.. I really would keep them with every and I mean all properties that we’ll buy or purchase!

Barry Sidell Oceanside, CA

I have used First American Warranty a couple of times over the years for what I would call minor repairs. Each time my calls were answered quickly, repair companies set dates to do the work promptly. I would recommend First American based on the three experiences I have had.

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Dianne Cordova, TN

Hasn't let us down until this time. The contractors have always been really good. But this time its been 1 month since our initial call. Contractor took 2 weeks to get out here, then two more weeks to get the part. We then needed to move the time for our appointment day because I got a COVID vaccine appointment and now they have moved it another week.

Jeffrey Sakson Los Angeles, CA

Until very recently, I would rate them 5 stars, but their customer service has gone down in the past year. This could be related to the COVID epidemic, but it still is frustrating to have to wait for more than 40 minutes for someone to answer your calls. It's extremely frustrating when you've been waiting for more than 40 minutes and then you get disconnected. My most recent experience, in which I had to have my tankless water heater replaced, would have been fine if the new water heater hadn't stopped working the day after it was installed. The plumber that installed it said it was due to an obstruction in our vents, and because vents aren't covered by our warranty, I had to pay $250 for a vent company to check out our vents to tell us that there was nothing wrong with them. We had to go three days without hot water, and I could not get anyone from First American on the phone to explain the situation. Finally, I was able to get the plumbing company to send someone else to check out the water heater and he was able to fix it. It turns out that the error message on the unit did indicate a problem with our vents, but it was an incorrect error message. 3 days without hot water and $250 for nothing. That's on top of the almost $1000 I had to pay extra for installation of the new water heater because it required some extra work not covered by my warranty. Sheesh.

Marian Long Galveston, TX

I had a claim on my electric stove. I called the office since it was my 1st claim, they actually took my information and gave me the information on the vendor who was assigned to come to my unit. I received updates on everything that was happening. The vendor was actually able to repair the stove. The vendor was professional, friendly and knew exactly what he needed to do to make the repairs and had parts on his truck. Great experience and service with both the First American Home Warranty and the vendor they used for our repairs.

Phil Carpenter Hamburg, MI

First American sets you up on an annualized payment schedule on your credit card then makes it very difficult to cancel. This results in months of credit card Billings . I had to cancel my credit card to stop their payments. I emailed all the documents they requested which they said they never received and continued billing me. I would rank them as scammers and give them the lowest possible rating.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Phil. Thank you for your feedback. Our records do indicate that at this time your contract has been cancelled. However, at the time of the sell of your home we never received your written request to cancel your contract.

May. 4th, 2021

Ramiro Murillo San Diego, CA

Because every time I need them they’re always there really fast, I don’t have to wait days for them to take care of my problem

Perry Hall Amarillo, TX

Great Company, met all my expectations and took care of my claim need immediately without any hassle. This is an excellent company to do business with.

Bill Copperas Cove, TX

Never had them question or deny a claim, fast surface and when I had a washing machine being replaced with a model not compatible with the broken machine there was no problem, they made it right

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Weatherston Yuma, AZ

Good coverage, good CS reps who take time to explain the program. Good website that allowed appointment set up and confirmation and we appreciated the selection of quality repairmen when we had a problem.

Michael Hamilton Oklahoma City, OK

I've had several home warranty companies and most of them just try and get out of it when the actual bill comes so first American was the first one that actually didn't try and wriggle out of the responsibility of their own contract.

Benjamin Shakely Las Vegas, NV

Excellent service. They responded quickly and had someone there right away. Followed up to make the job was completed.

Elizabeth Redding, CA

Efficient and easy to use. I have used them twice so far and they were able to quickly help me with my problems.

Jerry B Sharp Perris, CA

It was hard to understand the CSR, English was not his first language. I'm sorry, but that was mostly the issue on the phone, not the connection.

Linda Waters Moreno Valley, CA

They've been good, on time, had great techs, & good price for my budget & provided what they promised.

Mike Bonfiglio Ellerbe, NC

I have had a policy with First American for at least 7 years now. For whatever reason, they have been miserable the previous 3 [of 7] years. I'll tell you about one incident in particular. In the beginning of March I filed a claim to have my upstairs (two-zone) air conditioner fixed because it was not blowing cold air. About a week later, the assigned company comes out and he inspected my A/C unit. The technician determined the relay switch needed to be replaced, but it had to be ordered. A few week later the technician comes back out and he changes the relay switch. However, the A/C still was not working. Therefore, the technician determined the compressor needed to be replaced. I got three (3) emails from First American regarding the replacement of the compressor after the technician made his recommendation to First American. The first email was April 1, and it indicated they were reviewing the contractor's notes. The other two emails came on April 5. One email authorized the repair and the second email said they [First American] ordered the compressor. I later came to find out, from the technician himself, that First American orders the parts, not the contractors. Per the technician, First American did not order a factory (original) part. It was a compressor that operator/sounded completely different [compared the the original compressor that broke and the original compressor on the downstairs unit]. As a matter of fact, the part they ordered was missing pieces and the technician had to leave the job site to purchase the parts he needed to complete the job. Between 2-3 weeks later, I called the assigned contractor because I had not heard from them, despite the First American email saying the compressor was ordered. However, I did not get an answer (there was a consistent pattern of the contractor never answering the phone, which resulted in he and I playing "telephone tag.") so I left a message. He called me later on the same day and scheduled an appointment for the next day. This is where it gets good. The technician came out and replaced the compressor, thus fixing my upstairs A/C unit. I actually think the technician.... and the technician alone... did a fantastic job. So, the job was finished and the technician came up to me and said he needed to collect $300. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. Apparently, First American was billing me $300 for out of pocket expenses that no one ever told me about.... ever. Not in an email, or in the work order, or a phone call, or any other form of communication. Per First American's FAQ section on their website, "...First American or the contractor will communicate this information and the associated costs." That never happened. I called the company and spoke to a supervisor about 5 minutes after the technician left. After being on hold for 20 minutes, I finally got her on the line. Per the supervisor, the only way I'd be able to get my $300 back was for them to send the contractor company back to my house and un-do all of the work they did. I said, "Fine, do that." That was a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. I just filed my complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If they can not help me to get my $300 back, then I have other avenues I intend to take.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a message for additional information.

May. 7th, 2021

Debi Foli Pauma Valley, CA

The service was the most professionally provided service I have had with FAHW. TY I am increasing in my opinion of this warranty.

Marcella Austria Grants Pass, OR

They sought to remedy our problem with a repair person who found the problem and resolved it, like they say the 3rd times the charm.

Christopher Green Little Rock, AR

Great job and nice service. Although the parts came in two days after initial visit but the repair didn’t happen until 3 weeks later.

Kim Jarandson Medford, OR

The last Electrician you sent to me, left me with a non working bedroom light and no plug working in the bedroom, he did not find it was a hot wire, outside for a hot tub the old owners had.

Mary Byram, MS

Has been very dependable but with the Refrigerator it took so much longer.He wanted to order the filter from a place he liked!

Elizabeth Garrett Chattanooga, TN

They are nice and very professional. They answered all my questions.and I did have to wait a long time to get help with the issue that I was having..

Jeff Willis, TX

Great service and fast!! Always on top of your request. If a company can’t make it out to you, they immediately contact someone who can.

Karen Kiehne Campbell, CA

When I call I talk to a human being who can answer all my questions quickly. Easy to renew policy. Very responsive to repairs.

Sharon Wagener Paso Robles, CA

Services are often not local. Refrigerator coverage ought to include ice crushers/beverage dispenser and respective equipment. Also, there should be an option for fireplace coverage.

Mar. 4th, 2021

Kevin Urland Emmaus, PA

Good response They are very good with getting your problem solved a little slow on your approval sometime but all in a good way I would recommend them to all home owners and buyers

Maulet Atlanta, GA

Good service with the company that they use,and also the customer service people and the product that they replace in my home. It’s a good plan to have in emergency, they always get the job done.

Elizabeth Sanders Las Vegas, NV

My last few encounters and interactions with them have been very positive, professional, transparent, and successful. They have been willing to work with me to address my repair needs in a manner satisfactory to both of us.

Fazal Khan Manassas, VA

Usually, I'm very impressed and happy with First American's ability to help with resolving my home issue. However, it took 28 days for First American to order the part for my hot water heater. My family and I were without hot water for almost a month during the winter. I expected better!

Lori Barsamian Fresno, CA

The customer service has been excellant. The company representative calls ME with all updates regarding my claim. The hold time has been longer than normal during Covid, but you end up speaking with a real person. I have been with this company since 1998.

Judy Verdugo Fresno, CA

Always great service. Whenever we need service they never hesitate to send repair people to deal with the problem. We feel that this is the best money spent to have the security of knowing we can count on First American.

Edith Gonzalez Corpus Christi, TX

Depending on the service, I'd love to have companies warranty their service. For example, if a central uniting was installed in the summer, them a follow up for the heater working well should be done. As for First American, the company is trust worthy.

C Burtt

Awesome Warranty Service. Every time I call there are positive results. I do think that the Pool Salt cell and Cercuit board need to ne higer. FA only paid 1500 and total cost was 2100 .. so out of pocket 600 and the work was poor and still not working... Will visit issue next year when pool is open.

Dec. 9th, 2020

Jeff Anderson

We have always had great customer service from the First American representatives. We have never had an issue processing a work order and they have professional contractors/technicians that support and if they do not have support I have never had an issue with First American agreeing to use one of my contractors.

Dec. 3rd, 2020

Jenna Satariano

This is my first experience with a home warranty company and while I trust that American Home Warranty is one of the better companies, I have been somewhat disappointed with the communication from the company on repair claims. The first dispatch of repair technicians was prompt, but getting a tech back to complete the work took several calls and turns out that despite having essentially full coverage, a good chunk of the work required turned out to not be covered, but it took me calling and following up on numerous occasions to learn about this. I am now still waiting for them to schedule a tech to complete the work, and I anticipate having to have to follow up again as opposed to them reaching out to me with updates, which was just not how I anticipated this process would go. All in all, I think it's worth having the coverage for the investment, but I do wish that the process was more user-friendly, communicative, and transparent.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jenna, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that One Stop Plumbing & Rooter has completed the repairs to the drain line in the garage. We have dispatched contractor Drywall Masters to repair the drywall accessed by the plumbing company. Drywall Masters will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to complete repairs. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you,

Nov. 25th, 2020

Paul Bisel

Our washing machine tore up about a year after we got our warranty. I called First American and they sent a service tech out. He checked it out and checked on parts. Because of the age of the washer parts were no longer available. They replaced it with a new version of the one we had. It only cost us $75.00 just as we were told when we bought the warranty.

Nov. 10th, 2020

Diane Lancaster, CA

ANY TIME I NEEDED SOMETHING DONE THE WORK WAS COMPLETED TOOP NOTCH. PROFESSIONAL WORKMEN

Valjeanne Durham, NC

This is post COVID rating. I'm having to follow up a bit more now. Pre-COVID they would receive a 5.

Anonymous San Antonio, TX

Contractors they hire don’t have the best reviews and I look at reviews to make decision in making my purchases and selecting services

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello. Thank you for your review.

Apr. 22nd, 2021

Aida Oxnard, CA

Prompt & punctual service. Technician was on time & honest & fixed the problem right away

Alex Castro North Hills, CA

I’ve dealt with them in the past and it’s just a really good company with great customer service

Mike Wilson Hixson, TN

Service has been helpful when needed. Willing to work with me on different service people

Patricia A Lush Sacramento, CA

Been good to me, but wait time is longer than expected from contractors.I haven’t had to use them for awhile, which I appreciate

Minaz Aldulaimi Tucson, AZ

They came to check my issue in a timely manner, took care of the problem with giving me a ton of excuses.