First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims and has a large network of contractors. Warranty plans last for one year, and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2018.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider provides coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. 35+ years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional peace of mind for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances. First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American’s warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $300 per Year

• Garage Door Opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central Vacuum System

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your home warranty plan:

• Central Air Conditioning (electric): $9
  • Additional Refrigeration: $4
  • Pool/Spa Equipment: $15
  • Well Pump: $7
  • First Class Upgrade: $9

Coverage Limits

Unlike some others, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection be done by a contractor or maintenance records be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The company also provides extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline and a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative rewards highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchase decision.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With monthly payment options and multiple plans, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind, but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. However, the home warranty company does have some negative reviews. We suggest looking through the reviews before determining if First American Home Warranty is the right home warranty provider for you.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.4

James
August 23rd, 2019 Bay Saint Louis, MS DETAILS

Never fixed one thing right continuous issues over and over with AC unit. Contractors unprofessional and lack true knowledge

Connie
August 23rd, 2019 Newport News, VA DETAILS

I’ve had nothing but problems with FAHW. They haven’t paid for air conditioner components. The first HVAC guy didn’t fix the problem. But I had to pay another HVAC guy to come out and rediagnose the problem. $500 later FAHW won’t cover the expenses. Now on to the refrigerator. July 8th I put in a claim and now August 22 the problem isn’t fixed yet. FAHW won’t get me another contractor to fix the problem. I have been on the phone multiple, multiple times to have this situation remedied. FAHW won’t return calls like they say they will. I am nothing but angry and disappointed with their service.

Nik
August 23rd, 2019 Lake Forest, CA DETAILS

They are consistently the worst customer service I have ever had on any home warranty. I have had two issues in a row in the last month and they have a been horrific experiences and have cost me way too much stress. I also have a lot of hidden fees for things you have to pay for when just getting an appliance facts which I am now switching the plan because I cannot take this anymore. They do not respond to service request put in online right away you have to call them and follow up to get anything done and half the time that doesn’t even have an even an emergency situation. Was extremely unhappy with how they did not follow up with me at all or Assign the service to anyone Until I called on both instances. The second time that’s happened to the claim had to be reassigned because it went to a contractor that was no longer servicing in the area and this was a huge waste of time and me calling him to follow up to get the job done. The next day I asked to speak with the manager about it and how unhappy I was with the service and the manager was very This respectful towards me and said he needed to talk first and I finally hung up on him. Do not need to be treated this way for my so-called manager once I am already super upset. Needless to say I am no longer using First American home warranty. So I am still waiting a week later for the contractor to show up.

Eric
August 22nd, 2019 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

Total waste of my home-seller's money. I've paid for two service calls, $150 total, for AC service and plumbing service on a manufactured home. First American has no clue there are differences in AC and plumbing systems between manufactured and constructed homes. Both service calls (actually there were two for AC and one plumber) got nothing done due to differences in construction, setup, and design. I will NEVER schedule a service call through them again. I'd rather do my own research and hire a professional that actually understands my problem and is able to help me, even at a higher cost!

Melissa Bradley
August 22nd, 2019 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS

First they are getting 2 stars because they actually do communicate with me in a timely manner. However, their customer service sucks and the contractors they send out are incompetent. First about 4 months ago, I submitted a claim online that my dryer was having issues making extremely loud squealing noise. I was charged the $75 service fee. They sent a very nice man out to fix it. I thought it was all fixed. Then last month it starts doing the exact same thing. And my washer happened to die on me at the same time. Put in claim number 2. THis time the company they send out is here MAYBE 10 minutes (in that time he always used my restroom) didn't even look at the dryer or turn it on, tells me my whole front panel on the washer needs to be replaced and I will be charged extra for it being a stackable. WHAT??? I call First American, was told nothing would be extra as the $75 covers everything. a few days go by, the contractor does not return any of my calls. First American calls me and states they are ordering the parts for my washer, but the dryer is not covered. They claim "noise" is not an issue. WHAT????? Both time I explained the issue I was having and they had no problem charging me both times for the $75 service charge knowing they wouldn't cover "noise"? Mind you the dryer is not usable due to how extremely loud it is. Now they call me and tell me the contractor needs me to move the dryer from the washer (they are stackable) before they will schedule to come. Now I have to do part of their job for them? I'm a woman by myself and have to figure out how to get the dryer down before they come out? THey wouldn't even call me they will only talk to First American yet I am the one they need to schedule when they will come out. First American has not been a help whatsoever with this. THey use very unprofessional contractors, and they things at you last minute like this. Be very cautious of them.

ALS
August 22nd, 2019 Broomall, PA DETAILS

I called in to have a water leak on our washing machine fixed It was leaking on the left side there was very small amount of water on the floor after each load of wash done. First American sent out a repair tech the determined it was a gasket and a tube which connects to door boot was the problem they had to order the two part. A week they came out to install the two parts. Taking the whole top of the washer apart to install these two parts. After were installed the tech run the washer to see if this indeed fix the leak. No the leak was now coming from the right of the washer 10 times worse then before. No the tech determined the new leak was from the soap dispenser which he had already taken out and reinstalled along with other parts. He took out the soap dispenser and took it all apart and said he will reseal it with some kind of sealer and he will put the soap dispenser back into the washer and not to use it until that evening or next day. We elected to give it a try the next day. The leak now is like 20 times worse ..... we had to use 4 big towels to clean up the water on the floor after one load. We called First American and they called the tech the tech said the soap dispenser will need replaced but First American does cover this part. After going back a forth for weeks now going six weeks without our washer First American they will cover the price of the soap dispenser as they said they would do so to get our fixed. Then all of sudden that is no where in the claims notes and they said the repair tech broke the soap dispenser they would have to pay for it. Now there was never a leak coming from the soap dispenser before the first attempted to determine the leak problem not until the repair took out the soap dispenser and then reinstalled it did it leak. I have to agree with First American but not the repair tech company say the repair tech did not brake the part and they aren't paying for it. We either have to pay soap dispenser or continue to going back and forth on who's paying for this part. Now 6 weeks later we will pay for the part which isn't FAIR or do without a washer. Some FUN isn't ....... I will close our warranty account after this repair is all finished and never deal with First American again or this badly run repair company they use.

R J P
August 22nd, 2019 Wimberley, TX DETAILS

I don’t usually write reviews good or bad, but my experience with First American Home Warranty has been one of the worst experiences I’ve ever had. It started on July 29th, 2019, our AC system froze up. Mind you we live in Texas where the average day time high in August is over 100 degrees. I requested service from the warranty company that day, pay my $75-dollar deductible, and was told the first available day they could get someone to my house was August 6th. I call them back and basically beg for something sooner and they found another contractor that showed up on August 2nd. That contractor found that the air handler needed to be replaced. That took a couple days for the warranty company to approve, then the replacement unit was ordered. Install date was scheduled for August 15th. The morning the contractor shows up, they call me, and I must pay $1050 dollars in uncovered expenses for them to install the air handler. I argue, but what’s the use, I need the air and the contractor is knocking on the door. The contractor installed air handler, and, in the process, they leave two water stains on my ceiling about the size of a large laptop (this is an attic installed air handler) and two holes in the ceiling sheet rock. Guess I’ll have to pay another contractor to fix ceiling issues. At the time, I was just happy to have air conditioning in my house and so the contractor leaves without offering any assistance for the water stained and damaged ceiling sheet rock. But wait, an hour after they left, no cold air and it is 105 degrees outside, the AC has stopped working again. I call the warranty company and no one can come check it until August 20th after 1pm. Ok, another weekend of no AC in the house. At 8pm the day before they are scheduled to come fix the unit again, they call me to move the appointment up from 1pm to 9am and I say sure, even better. But on the 20th no one shows up and after lunch they call and say sorry, we’ll be there tomorrow morning. Brings us to today, August 21st, 2019. 22 days without Air in the stifling Texas heat. Contractor shows up, turns system on and of course, the system runs perfectly. Contractor hangs around 10 minutes then leaves, then 1 hour later, no AC. At this point, my wife breaks down in tears, this is just too much to handle. I call to see if contractor could come back but was told the next scheduled visit is days away. I’ve had it. There is Zero sense of urgency in the Warranty company and the contractor is just incompetent. I now have called a local AC company who showed up in less than an hour and they are replacing the defective parts as we speak. So, 22 days of run around trying to use a home warranty. Never again, total scam. As a side note, I’d also like to mention that during this time I had a plumbing issue. I called the warranty company to request service and two days later they call me and tell me they cannot find a plumber to assist. They offered for me to use someone locally and they would approve $125 dollars in repairs, mind you I already paid the $75-dollar deductible. I questioned that and was explained that they would reimburse me up to $50 dollars, that is $125 total in repairs, minus the $75 I already paid, total BS. I took a day off from work and repaired the plumbing issue myself. Lesson learned, next time I will decline the sellers offer to buy a home warranty and take that cash instead at closing. Maybe other home warranty companies are different, but this whole experience tells me to run, run as fast as you can.

Linda Robertson
August 20th, 2019 Atwater, CA DETAILS

I bought the Cadillac policy, discussed with agent when buying that I would get like for like. My Casablanca fan in my bedroom with life ended up dying with the technician working on it! Then the only would offer me a contractors grade white ceiling fan, totally would clash with my decor. On the buyout the gave me only $74.11, then they deducted the$75 service fee that my salesman was going to at least cover because he was miss informed and then miss informed me as well. First class upgrades are really not and option with company, despite the promise. My final check for my ceiling fan was $4.11, for a top of the line Casablanca fan, really.....

Rachel
August 19th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

I made a call about my AC and got technicians out the next day, but the technicians were completely neglectful (at my home for 10 mins total, only looked at the external unit and left before confirming that anything was fixed). I reopened the service request 2 hours after I left via the website then called the next monday. At this point my broken AC had begun leaking through the ceiling, which they will of course not cover. Its 105 degrees out so not running the AC is not an option. I was told that for urgent requests, I need to call even though they present the website as the preferred means to operate. Beyond that the technicians said they cannot come out for another 48 hours, but could charge me $150 for a temporary AC (because I of course should have to pay for a solution since they contracted a terrible company with 1 star reviews all over the place online). They refused to look for another contractor, were quite rude, left me on hold for extended period of times and were overall horrible in their customer service. Next year I will be going with a different company for my warranty, as expecting me to go a week without AC in August in TX is ridiculous

Nick W
August 19th, 2019 Perrysburg, OH DETAILS

Terrible. AC has been out for 24 hours and these idiots told me I'd have to wait another 3 days to get it fixed. I've been on and off the phone with them all day, if they're going to waste my time then I'm going to waste theirs. NEVER purchase a warranty through First American. They'll treat you like dirt and delay your service for no reason. My 2 year old could provide a better warranty than this joke of a company.

Ashlie
August 19th, 2019 Pearl, MS DETAILS

i would not recommend this company on my worst enemy!!! not once but twice first american has left me hanging without a dishwasher for 3 months and now a washer for 2 1/2 months. the contractor that they have sent will not answer the phone nor are able to leave a message.. and first american does not care.... i have spent numerous hours on the phone with them and have gotten no where. one customer service will tell you something then you speak to another and they will tell you something different,, if i could speak to the ceo or a high up person i would tell them how i feel about there company and the way they handle things. i have even spoken to managers that dont care that they get my money each month and when i need service i cant get it, then why am i paying???? go with another home warranty company!!!!!

RICHARD BLANCHARD
August 19th, 2019 Sevierville, TN DETAILS

Horrible I finished out my contract called to make sure not to renew, Deleted my credit card information and guess what these bozos did. Automatically renewed my policy without my consent, Charged mt credit card that is not on file ( fraud ) now I got to go thru the gauntlet to get my money back and cancel contract

Jon Brock
August 19th, 2019 Rancho Cordova, CA DETAILS

Worst customer service I ever experienced. All they care about is getting your money. They will never follow up and deal with poor rated companies. Never get service quicker than 3-4 days. Will never allow you to get quicker service and cover your costs. Called for garage door service on Friday cause opener died and door is to heavy to lift and cars are stuck in garage. They said Monday maybe

Jaymz5150
August 19th, 2019 Hutto, TX DETAILS

I have had FAHW for 2 years and have since cancelled. This company can only be some sort of criminal front. That is the only logical reason I can think of for this company to exist. Rude, dishonest, underhanded, conniving, two-faced rats...that's about the nicest thing I can say about these people. It's over 100 degrees in Texas right now and I have been without an A/C for almost 6 weeks. They subcontract all of the work to "no name" companies with employees that don't seem know what the heck they're doing. They have been to my home no less than 8 times and the outcome is never any different. Twice the HVAC guy showed up with his girlfriend. After they completely ruined my A/C and after the most infuriating of exchanges with FAHW's pathetic customer service, I was told that I could take an absurdly low payoff or I could pay $500 to cover the damages done by the HVAC company and then FAHW would authorize the repair for the rest. You can imagine how angry this made me. Here we are though, still over 100 degrees and no closer to having my A/C repaired. These guys are criminals. If you want to throw your money away, you're better off burning it in the fireplace. It will save you more time and frustration. And you will still be in the exact same place you would be in if you had purchased this scam they call a home warranty. Good luck to you all, I'm sure there are good home warranty companies out there, but this is certainly not one of them.

Aug 20, 2019

Hi Jaymz5150, we are terribly sorry to hear about this and would like to assist you. Can you please provide us with your claim number so that we can look into this? Thank you.

Laura Dankenbrink
August 19th, 2019 Pasadena, CA DETAILS

This company is horrible. They booked an appointment with a AC company that got horrible reviews. I called and emailed to see if I can get a new company. NOPE! bc it is computer generated. Hey First American Home..... you should at least give me a few options. I have gone out to find an AC company myself. Even if this company is under the warranty for First American Home, they will not cover it. The customer service person was just doing their job, however I felt as if they worked in a box. Not able to help, just sorry the computer generated this company for you. Please note.. Any negative comments on this review the company has not responded too. However if i wrote a positive note, they will.

dennis
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

The issue was completely promptly. The tech was on time. Made sure the problem was completely resolved.

Aug 19, 2019

Thank you for your review Dennis. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Denise
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Great customer service!!! Highly Recommend!!

Aug 19, 2019

Hi Denise, thank you for your feedback.

Claro
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Fast, efficient response and services. I like it.

Aug 19, 2019

Thank you Claro for your review.

Clara Harris
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent customer service and response time for repairs.

Thank you Clara.

Cathy
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Very responsive. And the technicians are always friendly and respectful.

Aug 19, 2019

Thank you Cathy for your review.

Antonio Owens
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

It may be my ignorance but sometimes after the work is done...it acts up again and I am worried about paying another 75.00

Aug 19, 2019

Hi Antonio. Thank you for your feedback!

Anthony
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

First American answered all of my questions and coordinated appliance repair technicians in a very timely manner.

Aug 19, 2019

Hi Anthony. We are glad to hear that the appliance was repaired quickly. Thank you for choosing First American!

Wendy Jacobs
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

We've had several claims and the service we've received has been top shelf!

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you, Wendy for your review!

Victoria
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Very knowledgeable plumber but had to wait over a weekend for help

Thank you Victoria!

Victor Beas
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Almost always a good experience with them.

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Victor for your review, we appreciate it.

Tim Fox
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

the best service for today concerning home repairs

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Tim for your review.

Tia O'Neal
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Speed, friendliness, rates, coverage, quality

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Tia for your review.

Tanja
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

We had a water problem. The technician gave us incorrect information for the repair. We had to go outside at First American to have the repair done. When the repair was done a problem still was not solved and the repair that was recommended was unnecessary. It was a $700 mistake on First Americam's part of which they said they would reimburse us. They did not. We have been customers for almost 20 years. Sorely disappointed

Stu Leventhal
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

The track record they've established with me

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Stu. Thank you for your review.

Scott
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Easy to make a claim and fast, efficient response by contractor.

Thank you Scott.

Sandra
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

A great professional Reliable on time service

Aug 20, 2019

We appreciate your review, Sandra.

Rupal patel
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

We had fair share of challenges working with them on couple of claims but escalation folks were good to work with and understood our situation.

Aug 20, 2019

Hi Rupal. We appreciate your feedback.

Roy Sharman
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

They are prompt and live up to their obligations.

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Roy for your review.

Ron
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Good service and prompt response to my request

Thank you Robert.

Robert
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Can hardly get someone from First American Home Warranty to get someone scheduled to come to my house. I usually have to find something myself, then pay them in full and wait weeks for me to get reimbursed.

Pete
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Have saved me countless hundreds of dollars in repair bills.

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Pete for your feedback.

August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Always get job done. Replace product without hassle when they fail. Have had trouble with one contractor. Don't let them do work.

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you for your review.

Noemi Sandoval Bagstad
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

service is amazing and we always get a solution. At times, it takes a while, but the job gets done.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Noemi. We appreciate your review. Thank you for choosing First American.

Nikki Clawson

Call in claim, heard from plumber, had garbage disposal replaced in 2 days

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Nikki for your review.

Michael
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Clarify what you need to understand patiently

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Michael for your review.

Mark Samuels
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Took over 30 days to get HVAC fixed. Total Air Care is a bad vendor for HVAC.

Marilou Pearson
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

I have waited over a month for a refund. I have called 3 times and have been told my refund has been requested and should be back in my account within a certain number of days. It is still not back in my account.

Maria Gomez
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

excellent service , they always get the repairs done

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Maria and thank you for your feedback.

Lupe Espinal
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

There good, it's a hot & miss on service. Only twice was not happy of the people who came. But majority of them are very good and know what there doing.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Lupe. Thank you for your review.

Larry Levine
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Mostly good. A lot of the vendors they deal with are poorly rated.

Thank you Larry.

Kathleen Lanier

Excellent Service and timely response. No complaints

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Kathleen, we look forward to servicing you again in the future.

June Bauer
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Very satisfactory service. Renewed my policy and have recommended it to others.

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you June for your feedback and for choosing First American as your home warranty provider.

Jose Casanova
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Amazing service! Fast and very professional! Great Value!

Aug 20, 2019

Thank you Jose for your review.

John Lovell
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

It takes a long time to get service, don't get to pick the replacement part.

John
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

They get the job done even when the task become more difficult than usual.