First American Home Warranty

7.4

LAST UPDATED: January 19th, 2022

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 30 states. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 30 states. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

bookmark

Featured Review

Lisa Hochstetler Navasota, TX

This warranty came with a house that we purchased. The customer service people were very helpful whenever I had questions. We used the service for checking our HVAC system and we paid a service fee each time of $75. We also had our electrical system checked out in the house as we had an issue with fuses blowing and they fixed it immediately. I would recommend this system.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Lisa, Thanks so much for sharing your great feedback with us regarding your recent services. We are thrilled to hear that you would recommend us! We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Oct. 28th, 2021

Jeff Cook Phoenix, AZ

Overall very happy, been with you for over 10 years. You typically will cover my needs. Only reason it is a 4 vs. 5 is due to the amount of time it takes to get somethign fixed. The approval process is not consume friendly buth rather cumbersome and very lengthy, I've waited up to 60 days in some cases

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Jeff, We appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We are so glad to have you be apart of the First American Home Warranty family for over ten years and look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again!

Vicky Heibeck Roseville, CA

Every time I've used/contacted First American Home Warranty, I have received excellent customer service as well as assistance from required industry members who have provided the service needed at that time.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Vicky, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. It is fantastic to know that you were provided five star service!

Lenora R Thomas-Hill Oakland, CA

They have help me out a lot with stuff around my that I couldn't do myself by send license contractors to fix the problem

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Lenora, Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to know that we have been able to be there for you when you most needed it.

Mike Burmeister Apex, NC

Good value for the money and I like the peace of mind of having a warranty. I wish some of the contractors you worked with were a little better and I wish the process moved a little faster. Waiting for approval on a parts order when you have no AC in August kind of sucks.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Mike, Thank you for sharing your review with us! It is great to hear that we can provide you peace of mind. We understand your frustration regarding your A/C service and truly appreciated your patience with the contractor. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Glenn Ashworth Chiloquin, OR

They have replace items fast, customer service varies hard to understand and make the customer service people understand what you need since they at a from other countries than the untied states

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Glenn, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

shelley baer Indio, CA

I am a new subscriber, but I had a problem with my dryer immediately after I signed up, and I was able to put in a request with no problem and get the situation resolved. I have only had one other warranty company which was much more expensive and did not cover the same amount of appliances. So far, so good with First American Home Warranty!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Shelley, It is fantastic to know that we have been able to be there for you when you most needed it. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Ana Rstrada La Porte, TX

I am thinking about canceling First American because you don't cover toilet problems. Ci had to replace the wax rings and the flange because it was rusted because of age and it cost me $300.00. I thought the warranty was to help replace things that wear out.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Ana, Thank you for your review. While our plans may not cover everything you need, we do offer additional coverage which allows you to tailor a plan more to your needs. On renewal, our team can review your coverage to ensure you have what meets your needs.

Donna Gorchesky Kyle, TX

This is my first encounter with them. Hopefully my work order for a new hot water heater will be approved quickly so the work can be completed by Thursday and I will be thrilled!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Donna, Thank you for taking the time to share your review!

Dyann Duling San Marcos, CA

First American Home Warranty is efficient and quick to respond to requests made for service. The most memorable of the services was on my refrigerator, fixings heating coil in the freezer.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Dyann, It is always great to hear when our customers have a fantastic experience with us!

Toni Y Williamson Kansas City, MO

We received a refridgerator when ours could not be repaired. I love the new fridge.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Toni, It is fantastic to hear that your claim we as resolved and you are happy with your new appliance! We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

James K Birdsong Memphis, TN

I have had American Home Shield and the ease of securing services is much better.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

James, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. It is fantastic to know that you had a five star experience with First American Home Warranty!

David Zalba Maryville, TN

Great plan. Haven't had to use it yet. I'll let you know how good you really are when I have a claim.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

David, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us.

Matt Schaffter

Terrible experience. We called out for the same service 3 times. First time, the tech did the job wrong (as documented by the second tech), 2nd tech did a different thing wrong and damaged my floor. ALL DOCUMENTED in my account with First American. I called for the 3rd time, they offered assistance, and I got a bunch of notifications of pending work, and then no contact for 4 weeks. I needed the toilet repaired, so I was forced to get a professional. I called for reimbursement, which every person saw my chain of issues, and was told a toilet was non-essential, and I would never get reimbursed. Period. 5 hours on the phone and no way I can be accommodated by this companies lack of sending the support I pay for.

Richard Greytak Bradenton, FL

Very quick reactions. A repairman came & evaluated the problem with yhe washer. No part available so a replacement washer was ordered.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Richard, Thank you for putting your trust in us. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to have this resolved for you so quickly.

Teresa Garibay Manteca, CA

I've had for only a month now and so far great service, more coverage for less, and lower service fee! I haven't requested service yet.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Teresa, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, so far. We will continue to be here for you should you need us in the future!

JoAnn Bloch Wentzville, MO

Great customer service, BBB rating, past reviews read, and the fact that I can have someone at First American to speak to in case of future questions or concerns.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

JoAnn, It is always great to hear when our customers have a fantastic experience with us!

Phillip McCants Hercules, CA

It's been almost flawless, however I still have an appliance problem that has lingered for far too long and I have no idea when the matter will be addressed in spite of the fact that I paid my service fee a month ago.

Jamey Gallegos Las Cruces, NM

Repair requests are easy to submit and they get sent out quickly.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Jamey, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us! We are glad to hear that your claim was resolved quickly.

L Williams Cincinnati, OH

Easy to work with and very accommodating to help their customers.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review with us!

Simon Seattle, WA

Whenever I did speak with someone, they were able to help me right away, or at least gave me the assurance that they were "working on it." I've had to call them back several times to get updates. Often would get a different person telling me different things. We never received confirmation emails or phone calls on the status of anything, not sure if this is a technical glitch, so make sure they can and will email you receipts and status updates. I'd log into my account and would sometimes find updates on information but there is no history in what happened, so I highly recommend you keep your own records of things!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Simon. Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that assistance was provided to your satisfactions.

May. 7th, 2021

F Ortiz Cypress, TX

Quick, easy process and rapid response. Work was completed timely and the contractors are well informed and courteous

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for putting your trust in us. It is great to hear that your claim has been resolved.

Pam Taguines Redlands, CA

Had so much issues with my air condition but home warranty would not replace it. So much hassle and we were suffering in heat during temps of high 90s to the 100s.

AFTAB Jamal Spring, TX

they act fast and resolve the problem quick only problem was delivery of equipment was late but it was not their fault

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for putting your trust in us! We are pleased to hear your concerns have been resolved.

Artis Love Piqua, OH

So far, so good!! No complaints!! The lady that signed signed me up gets 5 $tars for her customer service!!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Artis, Thank you for sharing your five star experience!

Hemant Kaushik San Ramon, CA

Weird company. I bought their annual repair contract. I got water leakage in my bathroom so I called them. they forwarded that complaint to US Plumbing. The plumber came on Dec 22nd to my Channi Ct, Danville house to check water leakage in my toilet from the flush and he said I have to change the machine and we will do that in the next 1 or 2 days. Today is Jan 10th 2022 and they did not even call or come to fix that. I am calling them but nobody is picking the call. Very weird services so don't even call them for any plumbing services. Don't buy their Home Warranty Services as Its a fraud company.

Dylan Odessa, TX

The customer service is subpar and they basically make you do all the footwork on the warranty process other than finding someone for your warranty work. it is a affordable warranty and comes in handy most of the time.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Dylan, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Roger Dillon Bellevue, NE

Quick responding time, and always super friendly and will listen to questions and concerns about any and all questions you may have

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Roger, Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are thrilled to know that your concerns have been resolved! We will continue to be here for you should you need us in the future.

Lisa Ribeiro Modesto, CA

Do not feel technicians are qualified enough. Also, do not like long wait on phone.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Lisa, Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Please know that we do complete internal surveys and monitor customer feedback on our contractor partners and will certainly take this into account. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Kathy Pfenninger Tallmadge, OH

I put in a claim on Tuesday and as of Friday I have not had anyone call about my fridge

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Kathy, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. Our records indicate you have been authorized to hire a licensed contractor to diagnose the failure to your refrigerator and is scheduled for January 25, 2022. Please provide with your contractor’s diagnosis and recommendation for review. First American considers this claim pending.

Jan. 21st, 2022

Frank Cordova Covina, CA

Excellent customer service and professional workers who are knowledgeable

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Frank, Thank you for your review. It is always great to hear when our customers have a fantastic experience with us!

bob williams Auburn, CA

always responded quickly with professional options/referrals

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Bob, Thank you for putting your trust in us. We are glad to hear that your issues have been resolved quickly.

John ADAM Chandler, AZ

Has been consistently helpful. Quick in response. Find helpful technicians

Reply from First American Home Warranty

John, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. It is fantastic to know that you were provided five star service!

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

Home warranty companies get a bad reputation. We have had seller purchased FAHW coverage in our last (only) two purchased homes. We've used our warranty in both homes with stellar service. In our first home we had such a positive experience we kept it longer than what the seller covered and paid the premium ourselves. Once they couldn't find a drywall guy to do a repair and they allowed us to find one and they covered the bill. It was amazing.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Chelsi, Thank you for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to hear that we have been able to be there for you and provide you stellar service! We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Dec. 15th, 2021

Mary Graham Tallahassee, FL

Just because . I really don't have anything to say this survey should be just yes no and multiple choice.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Mary, Thank you for your comments!

Stephen Sherman Anaheim, CA

I have had clalims covered but not without difficulty. Some of the contractors should be reviewed for their capability.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Stephen, Thank you for sharing a review with us. Please know that we do complete internal surveys and monitor customer feedback on our contractor partners. We welcome our customers to share their feedback with us as our goal is to ensure we are providing the best service possible. Should you need us again, we look forward to being there for you.

Tanya Lancaster, PA

Easy to file claim and companies they work with contacted us right away to schedule service.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Tanya, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!

David Sebby Las Vegas, NV

Problems were handled with expedience, customer service was handled with great experience

Reply from First American Home Warranty

David, It is wonderful to know that we were able to resolve your claim for you!

Hitesh Ahuja Thousand Oaks, CA

Service from First American home warranty is timely, with the crew easy to work with and responsive

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hitesh, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us!

William Burke Tucson, AZ

Any time we've had a problem and reported it, there has been a quick response and immediate repair.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

William, Thank you for sharing your comments. It is always great to hear when our customers have a fantastic experience with us!

willie summers Perry, AR

I have been with heat in my house about a mounth and can not a new unit installed your co. dose not want to keep there promise will not answer the phone or answer voice mail,I am up for renewel in Jan. and it Questionable if I will renew!

JOHN F EBERHARDT JR Aurora, CO

Past experiences in a rental property. So far the one claim I have filed in my property went flawlessly.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

John, Thanks for your review. It is always great to hear when our customers are provided with great service!

Terry Landau Salem, OR

We needed a new refrigerator. We had one in about 2 days after a technician came and checked the old one.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Terry, Thank you for putting your trust in us. We are pleased to hear your concerns have been resolved.

Orlando Givens Walnut Creek, CA

If I could give them negative stars, I would. Under no circumstances and for no reason should you give these incompetent, dishonest, and borderline criminal fraudsters one cent of your hard earned money. I have been without a washing machine for almost 2 months now. Most recently, I was promised on 12/19 that the part needed to repair my machine would be mailed to me on the 22nd of December. I called FAHW this morning, from the laundromat, no less because I have not received the part. They told me that they would "locate" the part on January 6th. What does locate mean? I told them that was not acceptable. I was speaking to Paul. He put me on hold, and then disconnected the line. I called back, and got Armando. I told Armando that the 6th of January was ridiculous and I wanted a new washing machine. He said he didn't have the authority to give me one. I told him to calculate what amount I could get as a cash settlement. He put me on hold, ostensibly to run those numbers, and then he hung up on me. I called back, and was connected to a woman, who was obviously working from home. I could hear her dogs barking in the background. She offered me $95 as a cash settlement. I told her that was completely unacceptable. You cannot replace a washing machine for $95, when the service fee is $85. At this point, I told miss barking dogs to cancel my contract. Whatever you do, do NOT do business with First American Home Warranty.

Kenneth Eversole Dublin, OH

Because the contractors that they've sent to my home are not knowledgeable

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Kenneth, Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that you have felt that the contractors servicing your claim were not knowledgeable. We do take pride in who we partner with and always welcome feedback so we can ensure we are providing our customers with the best service possible. We hope the next time you may need us, you will give us another chance to meet your needs.

Clifford T Elgin Prospect, KY

Price is good, coverage is decent, communication is too much

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Clifford, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us!

Gary Tehachapi, CA

The company has been very quick to respond to repair requests to send out a repair person to our home. They also have been prompt in reimbursing me in two instances when it was necessary. It's also easy to use their website to request a repair.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Gary, We appreciate you taking time to share your comments with us. It is great to hear that your claims were promptly resolved. We appreciate your continued trust in us.

Dec. 15th, 2021

Melanie Dickman El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been with First Am for over 25 years. I refer my clients to them. The rep I had in Los Gatos was fabulous and I have found Stephanie J. to be equally as great as Irs L. was. Very responsive and makes sure the problems get resolved.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Melanie!

Jun. 4th, 2021

Marcus Edwards San Angelo, TX

I have had FAHW in the past and recently reconnected with them once we purchased or forever home and a rental. They have been super professional and help me with getting the right coverage needed to keep my houses protected. Great company and they make things hassle free

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Marcus for your feedback, we appreciate it.

May. 25th, 2021

Stacy Gilbert, AZ

We've had their services for over 27 years and have been very satisfied with all of our situations. At times some things are a little confusing about what's covered and what's not that's the staff does very well at explaining. I plan to keep them as long as we own our home

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Stacy. Thank you for being one of our long standing customers. We are truly happy to hear that our company services all your needs to your satisfaction.

May. 7th, 2021