First American Home Warranty

7.9

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

3.9

Shirley holgate Arroyo Grande, CA

yesterday I had an excellent electrician come to fix my fan, and he did a fabulous job, even cleaning up beautifully. He was a 5, but several years ago I had a problem with my microwave, and they put in one that didn't work. They did provide a very good one at least.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Shirley for your review.

Simon Seattle, WA

Whenever I did speak with someone, they were able to help me right away, or at least gave me the assurance that they were "working on it." I've had to call them back several times to get updates. Often would get a different person telling me different things. We never received confirmation emails or phone calls on the status of anything, not sure if this is a technical glitch, so make sure they can and will email you receipts and status updates. I'd log into my account and would sometimes find updates on information but there is no history in what happened, so I highly recommend you keep your own records of things!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Simon. Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that assistance was provided to your satisfactions.

May. 7th, 2021

Michael Hazard Dunnsville, VA

The time it takes to get the necessary service. Their refusal to take the word of their contractors as to the work required to correct a problem. The inability of some of their contractors to accomplish installation of a product requiring the homeowner to hire another contractor to finish the installation at the homeowners expense.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Michael. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Melanie Dickman El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been with First Am for over 25 years. I refer my clients to them. The rep I had in Los Gatos was fabulous and I have found Stephanie J. to be equally as great as Irs L. was. Very responsive and makes sure the problems get resolved.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Melanie!

Marcus Edwards San Angelo, TX

I have had FAHW in the past and recently reconnected with them once we purchased or forever home and a rental. They have been super professional and help me with getting the right coverage needed to keep my houses protected. Great company and they make things hassle free

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Marcus for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Jane Mick Mesa, AZ

They are improving but there are still a few issues. Wish you could receive service from previous contractors who served you well. Also, preventive service should be covered since that would serve you and the customer well in keeping costs lower. For example, annual air conditioner inspection service and cleaning.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks for your feedback Jane.

Stacy Gilbert, AZ

We've had their services for over 27 years and have been very satisfied with all of our situations. At times some things are a little confusing about what's covered and what's not that's the staff does very well at explaining. I plan to keep them as long as we own our home

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Stacy. Thank you for being one of our long standing customers. We are truly happy to hear that our company services all your needs to your satisfaction.

May. 7th, 2021

George Hot Springs Village, AR

All things considered... My only complaint is that the telephone call center personnel do not speak clear English. One would guess that the call center is not a US company and not located in the USA. I would prefer FAHW put Americans to work rather than other countries. My only experience this year took two companies to fix. The first one made three trips and failed to notice that a wire was disconnected. Instead they blamed rodents for eating the insulation. While that did happen, it was not the cause of the problem and they gave up. The second company found a disconnected wire and reconnected it - problem solved. 4 stars only.

Mar. 25th, 2021

Terry white San Marcos, CA

Slow to respond, takes a long time to answer calls, when you get disconnected they do not call you back. The service company and home warranty are not on the same page. At this moment 3 stars are being generous. But they are very fast and good at taking the monthly payment from the bank!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Terry. We appreciate your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting for additional information. Thank you.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Patrick Perl San Luis Obispo, CA

Our in-wall plumbing leak was resolved, but then drywall needs to be replaced. FAHW could not source a local contractor, and therefore told me to find my own for reimbursement. I can't find a local contractor, probably for the same reason that FAHW couldn't find a contractor, and now I am getting emails from FAHW saying that if I don't find a contractor soon then FAHW is going to close my claim. Unnecessary pressure on me to try to do something that FAHW couldn't do itself.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Patrick, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate you have been pre-authorized up to $275.00 to hire your own independent contractor to patch up the drywall access created by the plumber. Once you have located your own contractor, please provide with their estimate/invoice for review. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

Jun. 10th, 2021

Constance Corpus Christi, TX

Customer service is always emphatic and the technicians sent seem to know what they are doing. I don't always like the extra charges but I've had no recurring problems.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Constance,

Debbie Brilling Atlanta, GA

Top notch service. Quick to respond when filing a claim and following up to make sure the work is done. They always send out professional workers to fix the problem.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Debbie for your kind words and for choosing First American as your home warranty provider.

Ken Lewis Little River, SC

Fast and easy to work with. The service man First American sent to my house to repair my garage door got the door working fast and didn't waste time. Very nice to talk to and explained everything he was doing..

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Ken. We are very pleased to hear the the work performed was quick and hopefully met your expectations.

Radhakrishnan Fremont, CA

In one instance we had to go through 4 claim specialists and then the regional manager of our area. Once alerted, the manager did an excellent job in working with the service provider and sorting the issues with their technician’s report. Problem got resolved after a month since we filed the first service request.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Radhakrishnan for your review.

May. 19th, 2021

John Brandon, MS

Because of First America's flexibility of assigning me the preferred FAHW contractor in my area, as opposed to being simply assigned a random contractor (others of which I have not been satisfied with in the past). This is the reason I stayed with FAHM.

Apr. 6th, 2021

Mark Harrison Dickinson, TX

Never had a problem very professional I've always got the work that I need it in a timely matter I've been with them 14 years and I've never once had a bad representative come out and do shoddy work I'm just very pleased my reasoning prepare the warranty is I don't really miss the $65 a month but if something breaks and I have to come up with five or six hundred or a thousand or even more if I didn't have the warranty that would probably be an issue

William H. Burton, Jr. Barstow, CA

It is only because they have been really good to me as their customer. Each and every time that I may have experienced any problems or issues; they were always opened to be of an excellent help and assistance to our household. That’s why I can honestly say that I would keep them as well as recommend them but most definitely.. I really would keep them with every and I mean all properties that we’ll buy or purchase!

Bolo Bucketz Chandler, AZ

I have been out of AC almost a month now. They sent a company to my house that misreported the issue, saying my unit was missing components so it wasnt covered. I paid out of pocket for a 3rd party HVAC company (with a better reputation) and they said all the parts are there, and that the unit is very old and should be replaced. So I called FAHW back and they sent another company. The tech went on the roof for 10 minutes and the air started blowing cold. He said it was a "bad wire". The next day, the air went out again. The claim is reopened and I have to wait another week for one of their techs to come back. Its 115 degrees in Phoenix, AZ right now! Am I paranoid for thinking this company is doing everything they can to avoid replacing this unit?

Viren Popli Houston, TX

We got a sellers insurance. One of our ACs is not working . We filed a service request on 6/13 and paid for it online but they didnt allocate a contractor. So we filed a second request on 6/15. Now they gave us a contractor. After waiting for another day for them to contact us, we called the contractor to get an appointment, earliest available date 6/19. No way to speak to anyone or even and email address to write to them. Waiting in the heat for someone to come. Will update how the appointment itself goes.

Peggy Colton Los Angeles, CA

Because they have a great service and they make sure you are completely satisfied and also they do your service in a timely orderly

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Peggy. Thank you for your feedback.

Connie Johnson Columbia, SC

Because I use the Company for my self and I know the quality of their work. I know if I put a claim in they are not going to Cancel me.

Thanks for your feedback Connie

Bob Williams, AZ

There service is pretty good. Contacting them can be confusing at times. The people that do the work are great. They don't cover some stuff I wish they did.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks Bob for your feedback.

Shonda Hansen Antioch, CA

The service has been helpful to have. Its comforting to have extra protection. I wish their plumbing service covered a bit more.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Shonda, thank you for your feedback.

Kyle Pryor Maumelle, AR

We have called on First American Home Warranty several times over the past 4+ years. The customer service team is always quick to address our issues and the technicians that are assigned have done a good job in completing the necessary work.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Barry Sidell Oceanside, CA

I have used First American Warranty a couple of times over the years for what I would call minor repairs. Each time my calls were answered quickly, repair companies set dates to do the work promptly. I would recommend First American based on the three experiences I have had.

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Dianne Cordova, TN

Hasn't let us down until this time. The contractors have always been really good. But this time its been 1 month since our initial call. Contractor took 2 weeks to get out here, then two more weeks to get the part. We then needed to move the time for our appointment day because I got a COVID vaccine appointment and now they have moved it another week.

Jeffrey Sakson Los Angeles, CA

Until very recently, I would rate them 5 stars, but their customer service has gone down in the past year. This could be related to the COVID epidemic, but it still is frustrating to have to wait for more than 40 minutes for someone to answer your calls. It's extremely frustrating when you've been waiting for more than 40 minutes and then you get disconnected. My most recent experience, in which I had to have my tankless water heater replaced, would have been fine if the new water heater hadn't stopped working the day after it was installed. The plumber that installed it said it was due to an obstruction in our vents, and because vents aren't covered by our warranty, I had to pay $250 for a vent company to check out our vents to tell us that there was nothing wrong with them. We had to go three days without hot water, and I could not get anyone from First American on the phone to explain the situation. Finally, I was able to get the plumbing company to send someone else to check out the water heater and he was able to fix it. It turns out that the error message on the unit did indicate a problem with our vents, but it was an incorrect error message. 3 days without hot water and $250 for nothing. That's on top of the almost $1000 I had to pay extra for installation of the new water heater because it required some extra work not covered by my warranty. Sheesh.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Feb. 5th, 2021

Marian Long Galveston, TX

I had a claim on my electric stove. I called the office since it was my 1st claim, they actually took my information and gave me the information on the vendor who was assigned to come to my unit. I received updates on everything that was happening. The vendor was actually able to repair the stove. The vendor was professional, friendly and knew exactly what he needed to do to make the repairs and had parts on his truck. Great experience and service with both the First American Home Warranty and the vendor they used for our repairs.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

Kerry Freeman Columbia, SC

I am pleased with the service and I am pleased with the quality of work I get on repairs to my home.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our service. Thanks Kerry!

William Arnold Melbourne, FL

Customer service is number one with them. Always available to help you out with any problem you have.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks for your feedback William.

Russell Bryant, AR

Customer service was very professional and the contractor they were very professional, great experience from start to finish

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Russell. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the overall experience,

Phil Carpenter Hamburg, MI

First American sets you up on an annualized payment schedule on your credit card then makes it very difficult to cancel. This results in months of credit card Billings . I had to cancel my credit card to stop their payments. I emailed all the documents they requested which they said they never received and continued billing me. I would rank them as scammers and give them the lowest possible rating.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Phil. Thank you for your feedback. Our records do indicate that at this time your contract has been cancelled. However, at the time of the sell of your home we never received your written request to cancel your contract.

May. 4th, 2021

Perry Hall Amarillo, TX

Great Company, met all my expectations and took care of my claim need immediately without any hassle. This is an excellent company to do business with.

Apr. 7th, 2021

Bill Copperas Cove, TX

Never had them question or deny a claim, fast surface and when I had a washing machine being replaced with a model not compatible with the broken machine there was no problem, they made it right

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Weatherston Yuma, AZ

Good coverage, good CS reps who take time to explain the program. Good website that allowed appointment set up and confirmation and we appreciated the selection of quality repairmen when we had a problem.

Matthew Easterbrook Atascadero, CA

Very nice and wonderful customer service.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Matthew for your review.

Rice Burleson, TX

Always prompt to provide service and courteous and helpful

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Rice for your feedback.

Michael Hamilton Oklahoma City, OK

I've had several home warranty companies and most of them just try and get out of it when the actual bill comes so first American was the first one that actually didn't try and wriggle out of the responsibility of their own contract.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

Paul Bisel

Our washing machine tore up about a year after we got our warranty. I called First American and they sent a service tech out. He checked it out and checked on parts. Because of the age of the washer parts were no longer available. They replaced it with a new version of the one we had. It only cost us $75.00 just as we were told when we bought the warranty.

Nov. 10th, 2020

david peterson Austin, TX

During a dangerous heat wave, they have delayed responding by three days, and are now claiming that it will take another five days to repair our A/C. The service technician explained that the problem is the warranty company (FAHW), not the parts or service. Do not use them, they will put you and your family at risk.

miike Miami, FL

up until now good BUT THER ARE USING nana HOME SERVICES which doesn't have tecks for dallas/ft worth tx. nana failed to show last Friday from 4 to 8 pm and again today from 8-noon. don't buy this warranty co until u verify which service co will service you..had Sears come out here 3 times with good service and kept apps.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Miike. Thank you for your review. We have message for you for additional information.

Arlene Ahern Iona, ID

Professional service. Head to wait for the part (Covid) but the product manager kept me posted.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Arlene. Glad to hear the issue was finally resolve.

Roger Herauf Tulsa, OK

Excellent responce to any issues. The company has a good reputation with the sevice providers

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Roger.

Joni Tinsley Chandler, AZ

I have had a few repairs, and it was very easy, they took care of everything, and resolved quickly

Hi Joni. Thank you for your feedback

Sandy Gardner Pickens, SC

We are very pleased with the service and we know that when we call that we will be taken care of

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Sandy. We are so happy to hear that you are satisfied with our service.

Mary Jo Lawrence Oroville, CA

I rarely rate anything the best because there's always room for improvement, however I am happy with this company.

Thanks Mary Jo!

Paul Sanford, NC

Quick and reliable response to the issue. Cooperation with the client which is very important

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Paul for your review.

Anne Boyette Brandon, MS

Overall pretty good. Slow sometimes on getting service for repairs. It has taken more than 10 days!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Anne for your review.

Miriam Franklin Trussville, AL

They’ve been great so far. We haven’t had a lot of issues but they’ve handled the ones we’ve had in excellent fashion.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Miriam. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Tracy Magliato Shawnee Mission, KS

Very happy with technicians and service. Communicated tech in route and when I could expect arrival.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Tracy. We are very happy to hear that we have met your expectations.