First American Home Warranty

7.4

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

We have been able to get coverage on three appliances as well as our AC. Have had trouble with the AC diagnosis & repair, but after my husband's persistence, we have AC after being without it for over a month in the summer in the South. Appliance repair people are usually great & get out quickly for the repair. Parts arrive quickly as well so you don't have to wait long.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello K.M.P. We appreciate your review.

Sep. 19th, 2021

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

We recieved this warranty service complimentary when we purchased our first home. We actually had to use it when our waterheater went out. For a $50 fee, a technican came out, checked the heater and determined it needed replaced. We ended up getting a brand new water heater to replace it, and it was all covered by the fee, including installation. Years later the new water heater was having some issues, I called the same company the warranty people sent and I ended up paying a $75 service fee for the tech to tell me it just had sediment in it and needed to be drained and refilled. Seriously! It was then I realized that First American Home Warranty was so worth it, especially in an older house like I have. Since then we have had our fridge, our microwave, a dishwasher, and a stove replaced, and it looks like in the next year or so the furnace! Although some years you pay the premium and it doesn't seem worth it, once something does go out and you have the warranty, you'll be glad you did. Also customer service was easy to deal with and they were quick to get a technician out.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Brittney for your review.

Aug. 24th, 2021

Simon Seattle, WA

Whenever I did speak with someone, they were able to help me right away, or at least gave me the assurance that they were "working on it." I've had to call them back several times to get updates. Often would get a different person telling me different things. We never received confirmation emails or phone calls on the status of anything, not sure if this is a technical glitch, so make sure they can and will email you receipts and status updates. I'd log into my account and would sometimes find updates on information but there is no history in what happened, so I highly recommend you keep your own records of things!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Simon. Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that assistance was provided to your satisfactions.

May. 7th, 2021

Jane Germantown, MD

I tried to use them this summer when my AC stopped working. They referred me to a contractor Cool Inc. They guy had over 20 bad reviews on Yelp. Not one good one. Most of them said they were referred to him by FAHW. I called FAHW back to get anyone else. They said that was the only contractor they had. Seriously? That's the best they can do. The guy came and looked at my AC. I didn't believe his diagnosis for one minute. He wanted to replace the whole thing. If found a local contractor who came and fixed the problem for $175.00. It works fine now. Thanks for nothing FAHW. I will not renew with you.

1 day ago

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jane. We have requested additional information from you.

Sep. 20th, 2021

daniyang Santee, CA

The portal was easy enough to navigate and to book a vendor to come out. Our dishwasher wasn't working and we scheduled a consultation for a diagnosis after having already verified with another repair service what was wrong and that basically, the part that we would need replaced is expensive. It cost $85 just for them to come out --- just for the technician to take 5 minutes and tell us there was nothing wrong with the dishwasher. We tried to request another one but it was ultimately too hard with no payoff that we could see and we replaced the dishwasher instead. I will never buy home warranty again after this experience.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Daniyang. We have requested additional information from you.

Sep. 14th, 2021

Melanie Dickman El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been with First Am for over 25 years. I refer my clients to them. The rep I had in Los Gatos was fabulous and I have found Stephanie J. to be equally as great as Irs L. was. Very responsive and makes sure the problems get resolved.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Melanie!

Marcus Edwards San Angelo, TX

I have had FAHW in the past and recently reconnected with them once we purchased or forever home and a rental. They have been super professional and help me with getting the right coverage needed to keep my houses protected. Great company and they make things hassle free

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Marcus for your feedback, we appreciate it.

May. 25th, 2021

Kathy Triplett Vicksburg, MS

In the areas related to handling my requests for services, assigning contractors, keeping me updated and every issue related to my service requests... I rate First American at the highest level! However, my only complaint is related to the promotion for referring others to First American. I have referred several customers to First American. However, because the only way that First American tracks referrals is by these individuals following an online link, neither I, nor the other customers were given the benefit rewards of the promotion. Because most new customers are going to opt to call to speak with a representative before they enlist First American’s services, they are not going to utilize the link. I think there should be another way for new customers to tell you who referred them. Otherwise, it gives the appearance that the promotion was never really intended to provide the promised rewards. Because I have been a customer for so long, I do not think this to be the case. However, newer customers might not be convinced.

Laura Glismann Blue Diamond, NV

I rate my personal contact ROB with 5 stars, and I rate the Plumbing guy VICTOR from Ideal Plumbing with 5 stars. I have to say that the phone service at general customer service needs work. They are lacking comprehensive training. I was on hold too long, one disconnected and did not call back. Chrome would not sign me in, and after changing my password, which I did not want to do, I got signed in on Safari. Once on Safari I could not locate my contract and neither could the gal who helped me on the second phone call. All I could see was a SAMPLE contract. Oh, the CHAT system is useless.

Shirley holgate Arroyo Grande, CA

yesterday I had an excellent electrician come to fix my fan, and he did a fabulous job, even cleaning up beautifully. He was a 5, but several years ago I had a problem with my microwave, and they put in one that didn't work. They did provide a very good one at least.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Shirley for your review.

Jun. 21st, 2021

LUCILLE PICCININNI Charlotte, NC

They fix the problem with no trouble. Don't like they (service man) has to call and get ok from company which could take a day or two and the item you called about has to wait that extra time.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Lucille.

Andrea Smith Hemet, CA

I am in the middle of a claim. The adjuster most likely has more claims than he would like & is tough to get hold of. On a personal note, he is fine to deal with & pretty clear on most questions. I haven't had enough experience with customer service to be able to rate them. I will not be able to give you an appropriate answer really, to any of the other questions until the claim is closed out.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Andrea. Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Laura Trent Chattanooga, TN

When my tankless water heater quit working, First American replaced it, even though tankless water heaters are very expensive. I would have marked 5 stars, except that I had to work at questioning the initial response, which was not at all satisfactory, and finally they did agree to completely replace it.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Laura for your feedback. We are glad everything worked out.

Jane Mick Mesa, AZ

They are improving but there are still a few issues. Wish you could receive service from previous contractors who served you well. Also, preventive service should be covered since that would serve you and the customer well in keeping costs lower. For example, annual air conditioner inspection service and cleaning.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks for your feedback Jane.

Stacy Gilbert, AZ

We've had their services for over 27 years and have been very satisfied with all of our situations. At times some things are a little confusing about what's covered and what's not that's the staff does very well at explaining. I plan to keep them as long as we own our home

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Stacy. Thank you for being one of our long standing customers. We are truly happy to hear that our company services all your needs to your satisfaction.

May. 7th, 2021

John Brandon, MS

Because of First America's flexibility of assigning me the preferred FAHW contractor in my area, as opposed to being simply assigned a random contractor (others of which I have not been satisfied with in the past). This is the reason I stayed with FAHM.

Apr. 6th, 2021

Mark Harrison Dickinson, TX

Never had a problem very professional I've always got the work that I need it in a timely matter I've been with them 14 years and I've never once had a bad representative come out and do shoddy work I'm just very pleased my reasoning prepare the warranty is I don't really miss the $65 a month but if something breaks and I have to come up with five or six hundred or a thousand or even more if I didn't have the warranty that would probably be an issue

William H. Burton, Jr. Barstow, CA

It is only because they have been really good to me as their customer. Each and every time that I may have experienced any problems or issues; they were always opened to be of an excellent help and assistance to our household. That’s why I can honestly say that I would keep them as well as recommend them but most definitely.. I really would keep them with every and I mean all properties that we’ll buy or purchase!

Jeffrey Sakson Los Angeles, CA

Until very recently, I would rate them 5 stars, but their customer service has gone down in the past year. This could be related to the COVID epidemic, but it still is frustrating to have to wait for more than 40 minutes for someone to answer your calls. It's extremely frustrating when you've been waiting for more than 40 minutes and then you get disconnected. My most recent experience, in which I had to have my tankless water heater replaced, would have been fine if the new water heater hadn't stopped working the day after it was installed. The plumber that installed it said it was due to an obstruction in our vents, and because vents aren't covered by our warranty, I had to pay $250 for a vent company to check out our vents to tell us that there was nothing wrong with them. We had to go three days without hot water, and I could not get anyone from First American on the phone to explain the situation. Finally, I was able to get the plumbing company to send someone else to check out the water heater and he was able to fix it. It turns out that the error message on the unit did indicate a problem with our vents, but it was an incorrect error message. 3 days without hot water and $250 for nothing. That's on top of the almost $1000 I had to pay extra for installation of the new water heater because it required some extra work not covered by my warranty. Sheesh.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Feb. 5th, 2021

Marian Long Galveston, TX

I had a claim on my electric stove. I called the office since it was my 1st claim, they actually took my information and gave me the information on the vendor who was assigned to come to my unit. I received updates on everything that was happening. The vendor was actually able to repair the stove. The vendor was professional, friendly and knew exactly what he needed to do to make the repairs and had parts on his truck. Great experience and service with both the First American Home Warranty and the vendor they used for our repairs.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

Brian Liu Fremont, CA

Had a garage door opener motor issue, which needs to replace new motor + a battery back-up sys per latest code. The garage door company did not separate the motor and backup battery sys. FAHM denied the full coverage due to max code upgrade allowance of $250, even though motor is fully covered. Even though I explained with FAHM and the garage door company is willing to break down the costs to separate the back-up battery sys, FAHM refused to valid the coverage to motor. They are seeking a buy-out quote or I pay anything beyond $250. Another thing is now they keep ignoring any request to talk to rep due to understaff. I called several times, all the sys say is ask you to use self-service sys, do not give you options/ignoring your voice request for rep. It took me hrs to get to speak to a rep, which is with bad attitude. very disappointed as a 3 year customer. I am planning to switch to other warranty companies.

Erkan Ozcan Huntington Beach, CA

The worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Our dishwasher stopped working and insurance assigned service called Smart Choice. Smart Choice technician came 4 times and he had no idea (he even said he would lose his job if he tells he can't fix). We explained insurance and asked for another service. Insurance assigned Fox and technician figured out the problem but insurance decided to assign Smart Choice back. Smart Choice keeps cancelling request. Now insurance company keeps hanging up the phones. By the way, you can't send emails or submit any issues/complains through their website. They blocked all written communication ways so there is no proof left.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Erkan, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that First American provide you with the option to either accept dishwasher repairs or cash payment in lieu of the repairs for $423.01. Your accepted the repairs. Please be advised, contractor Fox Appliance will contact you to proceed with repairs. Please be advised, First American considers this claim pending. Thank you,

Sep. 15th, 2021

Michael Hazard Dunnsville, VA

The time it takes to get the necessary service. Their refusal to take the word of their contractors as to the work required to correct a problem. The inability of some of their contractors to accomplish installation of a product requiring the homeowner to hire another contractor to finish the installation at the homeowners expense.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Michael. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Terry white San Marcos, CA

Slow to respond, takes a long time to answer calls, when you get disconnected they do not call you back. The service company and home warranty are not on the same page. At this moment 3 stars are being generous. But they are very fast and good at taking the monthly payment from the bank!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Terry. We appreciate your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting for additional information. Thank you.

Patrick Perl San Luis Obispo, CA

Our in-wall plumbing leak was resolved, but then drywall needs to be replaced. FAHW could not source a local contractor, and therefore told me to find my own for reimbursement. I can't find a local contractor, probably for the same reason that FAHW couldn't find a contractor, and now I am getting emails from FAHW saying that if I don't find a contractor soon then FAHW is going to close my claim. Unnecessary pressure on me to try to do something that FAHW couldn't do itself.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Patrick, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate you have been pre-authorized up to $275.00 to hire your own independent contractor to patch up the drywall access created by the plumber. Once you have located your own contractor, please provide with their estimate/invoice for review. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

Jun. 10th, 2021

Constance Corpus Christi, TX

Customer service is always emphatic and the technicians sent seem to know what they are doing. I don't always like the extra charges but I've had no recurring problems.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Constance,

Debbie Brilling Atlanta, GA

Top notch service. Quick to respond when filing a claim and following up to make sure the work is done. They always send out professional workers to fix the problem.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Debbie for your kind words and for choosing First American as your home warranty provider.

May. 25th, 2021

Ken Lewis Little River, SC

Fast and easy to work with. The service man First American sent to my house to repair my garage door got the door working fast and didn't waste time. Very nice to talk to and explained everything he was doing..

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Ken. We are very pleased to hear the the work performed was quick and hopefully met your expectations.

May. 18th, 2021

Radhakrishnan Fremont, CA

In one instance we had to go through 4 claim specialists and then the regional manager of our area. Once alerted, the manager did an excellent job in working with the service provider and sorting the issues with their technician’s report. Problem got resolved after a month since we filed the first service request.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Radhakrishnan for your review.

May. 19th, 2021

Terry Phoenix, AZ

Almost always direct but during my last call the people I wanted in the first place for my heating issue was ultimately the company that took care of everything. Kappa Air is fantastic and the job was given over or transferred from Seabreeze who did nothing!

Kyle Pryor Maumelle, AR

We have called on First American Home Warranty several times over the past 4+ years. The customer service team is always quick to address our issues and the technicians that are assigned have done a good job in completing the necessary work.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Barry Sidell Oceanside, CA

I have used First American Warranty a couple of times over the years for what I would call minor repairs. Each time my calls were answered quickly, repair companies set dates to do the work promptly. I would recommend First American based on the three experiences I have had.

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Dianne Cordova, TN

Hasn't let us down until this time. The contractors have always been really good. But this time its been 1 month since our initial call. Contractor took 2 weeks to get out here, then two more weeks to get the part. We then needed to move the time for our appointment day because I got a COVID vaccine appointment and now they have moved it another week.

Michael Hamilton Oklahoma City, OK

I've had several home warranty companies and most of them just try and get out of it when the actual bill comes so first American was the first one that actually didn't try and wriggle out of the responsibility of their own contract.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

Paul Bisel

Our washing machine tore up about a year after we got our warranty. I called First American and they sent a service tech out. He checked it out and checked on parts. Because of the age of the washer parts were no longer available. They replaced it with a new version of the one we had. It only cost us $75.00 just as we were told when we bought the warranty.

Nov. 10th, 2020

They've been excellent. I've had them with my house now for almost thirty years. They're there to help and get solutions to whatever is going on. There have been several times that they've actually thought about the response I was given from a vendor and it wasn't right and they questioned it and go second opinions to make sure they were right. They do their research. They don't assume that their vendor is always right. I had a plumbing leak and they took care of it. It was incredible. I had some complications from the vendor and issues and modification charges. They did all the research necessary to get it resolved properly and now the job is done. I'm very happy. First American makes sure you're satisfied when you're done. I've had a couple managers involved because there were things that didn't make sense and the actual sales person couldn't match it so they connected me to a manager that could answer my question and give me good, sufficient answers.

Kelsey

When we bought our dream home and the deal was ''' as is'', we planned on needing to make some repairs and find a few surprises so we asked for First American Home Warranty coverage with our contract. Wow, did we underestimate the things that would go wrong with this little place. In the first three years, nearly every major appliance has gone out as well as fans, plumbing, both toilets, and I can''t even remember what else. First American has not refused us? Dropped up, questioned us or anything, they have helped us quickly and politely with every single claim. We would have been lost and financially ruined if we had not had this policy.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Kelsey. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Aug. 6th, 2019

Maryjane Statesville, NC

When my A/C broke down with First American, they fixed it right away and everything and it's running great. There was one little problem though. When the guy replaced the parts up in the attic, they didn't replace the board. I'm happy with the company, it was the vendor's fault. They sent an email and said it needed to get replaced and First American acted right away and put the part on order. I get great service. They're very professional and they come out right away and service and take care of things. It works really fast. I wouldn't change the company. I had another company and when I saw your company and found out what they cover, I was ecstatic and I've been happy every since. They react really fast.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Maryjane. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your claim and appreciate your understanding.

Jun. 17th, 2019

Floyd Memphis, TN

I really like the experience of working with them and not having to deal with the companies that you get your appliances from. This particular time they gave a time in which the company could come and service that item and I had problems with that time and I worked with First American Warranty and let them know and within forty eight hours they called and got me within forty hours of the call. I had problems with my dryer and I thought they would be able to repair it and go from there. The technician came out and serviced the dryer and told me what was wrong with it and then left. After I tried to use the dryer after he left, it wouldn't work. And I called them back and I got aggravated with the time it took for them to come out and reservice it. And it ended up costing me another $75 and I didn't know I was going to have to pay for that because it wasn't part of the actual dryer. First American was great, it was the company that came out of my house that I wasn't excited about.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you, Floyd for the feedback. We are sorry to hear that the assigned contractor did not meet your expectations.

Jun. 17th, 2019

Corinne M St Louis, MO

Having an older house makes having a home warranty a must. I don't know how we would have paid for some of the repairs that we've needed over the years if they hadn't been covered. We have peace of mind knowing that we are protected from catastrophic damage and repairs. Well worth the investment. Occasionally we have to call more than once to get a technician scheduled, but that is really a problem with individual companies and not the fault of First American. Customer service has been wonderful. I don't think we could live in our house without them. We were not solicited for our business. I researched the best coverage and called them. No phone calls or emails asking us to increase coverage or buy other products. We truly could not be happier.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Corinne. Thank you for your review!

Jun. 4th, 2019

William Luebs Flower Mound, TX

Disgusting!! Tried to get a wiring problem fixed. Wiring problems are covered. But they denied installing a $5 junction box because my house did not have one previously. I pay almost $1000 per year and this crap company is refusing to do a 10 minute job. The companies that First American subs to fix our problems are the dregs of the world. Stay away from First AMERICAN. Their service SUCKS!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi William. We are very sorry that we were unable to assist you. The contractor reported that you are needing to install a junction box, which is not covered. Thank you.

Sep. 15th, 2021

Clifford Heide Sedona, AZ

First American Home Warranty has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. Sears technician came to my home to service a refrigerator. He told me that the refrigerator had a freon leak and that the evaporator needed replacement. He said that that the refrigerator was over 25 years old and he could not find a replacement evaporator and that no part is available for a unit this old. He informed me that Sears and First American Warranty were obligated to do an extensive search for the part. If it cannot be found (which was very likely), I would be informed and a replacement refrigerator with be forthcoming. After two weeks and over a dozen phone calls - First American service finally stated that they found the part; however, it was on backorder and no delivery date was stipulated. Unfortunately, the part they found was for an evaporator fan motor not an evaporator. The technician stated that the unit had a loss of freon due to the evaporator (the evaporator fan motor is different and has no freon). I tried to contact Sears, to have them correct this mistake with First American Warranty. Impossible! I received NO paperwork from the technician, have had direct communication, to contact sears and have been without a refrigerator for almost 3 weeks. I have spoken to approximately 10 customer service reps and 5 supervisors in the Claims Resolution Dept. - all to no avail.

Maya My Atlanta, GA

I've attempted to utilize my warranty service 4x within the year I've had it, and on 3 of the occurrences, it was for the same exact issue. I had a plumbing issue and a contractor came out, I paid the fee, they "repaired" the issue, and the same issue occurred the next month. Since it was the same issue, I made another service request and advised no fee should be charged because the issue recurred within the prior repairs warranty. Delmar Plumbing came out, provided no invoice, was late on multiple occurrences, would schedule an appt and never show up, and there were often times where I had no idea what was next. First Am. and myself were unable to contact him on multiple circumstances. He would come up with erroneous costs, no proof and made claims to First Am. which resulted in them denying the claim. I never received notice of the denial and had to keep calling around to figure out when my plumbing issue would be fixed. I called 4/21/21 and was told it was denied and they read the denial letter to me. Based off what she read, I specifically explained where the claim should've still been covered under my warranty but Brittany with Support said she couldn't say anything more, it's already denied, then she transferred me to a line where no one answered. I decided to find my own contractor to fix the issue but inquired on if First Am. would reimburse me and instead, they advised they'd send someone else out to revisit the issue and determine at that point. I didn't even bother since their contractors are already highly questionable. First Am works with terrible contractors and they want you to use their contractors only. I verified with Support that my 2nd visit fee would be waived since it was the same issue that occurred the next month but still I received a bill. I figured this would be removed as advised and instead, I receive a collections notice from an outside agency. I attempted to request service for a different issue today but was told I couldn't until the prior fee was paid. How can a company outsource your fee to a Collections Agency then continue to try to receive payment from you directly? So if I pay First Am. money of which I was already not responsible for, the collections company would still harass me for payment since they weren't the ones to collect it as they were outsourced to do. I called 8/17/21 and spoke with Gloria who first said I had to pay Now in order to submit any requests. She then claimed it would be a deferred payment and I could submit a request after 2 hours. Later in the convo, she said her supervisor (whose name she claimed she didn't have) didn't approve a deferral. After requesting to escalate, she instantly claimed I would be able to submit a request within 1 hour. At that point, I wished her a good day and said I'll find someone else it fix my issue asap instead of playing games with a company that I no longer find reputable. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Maya. We have messaged you for additional information.

Aug. 24th, 2021

Jay Feinstein Dallas, TX

5 weeks without a fridge for my family of 4. It has been "escalated" 6 times. We have been spending a fortune eating out. The 1st tech they sent wasn't even certified to work on the equipment. The 2nd never ordered parts. My wife calls every day. Now, with our kids returning to school, we bought a new fridge on our own and requested they reimburse us what it would cost to repair ours. They are deducting for service calls(that were useless and include an uncertified tech?!). BTW, our fridge now has black mold growing in it from so long without use. Beyond frustrating and inept. The service agents read from a script and the supervisors don't return calls. What a waste of time and money. Choose ANYONE else.

Verlinda McNeil Las Vegas, NV

Service call for a freezer that I have had since 1998 in the garage. The tech came out and said all it needed was freon and I will get a call to schedule it. After three day I got no call. I call the company and they said the claim was denied. I contacted FAHW a d git an offshore avent. I requested that a manager call me back.That never happen. I requested twice and even sent in a request on line. I had to get another company to come out and said that the coil needed to be replace and that it would be better to get a new fdeezer. Now this company wants me to pay for xervice call when he gave me tbe wrong diagnosis. My freezer was garage ready.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Verlinda. We are requested additional information you.

Aug. 18th, 2021

Debra T Cabot, AR

I filed a claim when my water company advised I possibly have a leak due to the amount of water usage. The first contractor they sent said they did not have the equipment for leaks detection. The second contractor located a leak in the master bathroom but said they do not fix, only locate. They sent another contractor to fix the leak and they advised they cannot fix it because the prior contractor did not mark it. He came BACK out and tore out the bathtub and toilet and cut holes in the walls. Then another contractor was assigned to fix it and they called and said they could not… this claim was filed in April and it is now august which means I have been paying an extra $150-$200 per month in water bills due to this leak. Finally spoke with a rep that advised they would reimburse me for the repairs but I would have to hire my own contractor and pay out of pocket. I immediately got a quote to fix the leak in the wall between the toilet and bathtub. Now, the rep is claiming the leak is in the slab and the max they will pay is $500. The quote for the repairs is over $1600 and doesn’t even include the drywall repair. Not to mention, the leak is NOT a slab leak but a leak in the pipe in the wall.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Debra, We have reached out to you for additional information.

Win Lutz, FL

I requested service for a 14 year old Hayward pool heater. The first contractor stated that the pool heater had chewed up wires from rodents and low gas pressure. My claim was denied. I had an authorized Hayward authorized dealer inspect the unit. The dealer confirmed that the pilot light was not working due to age and normal wear and tear. No signs of rodents, low gas pressure or chewed wires. I sent the report from the Hayward dealer to FAHW. They reopened the claim based on the report and the photos submitted. 2nd contractor (second opinion) does not follow the rules that FAHW puts in place on 3rd visit.. The first visit the contractor stars I had low gas pressure but did not mention anything wrong with heater. He said that everything looks good. Claim was denied for low gas pressure. I had an authorized gas dealer come out and inspect the gas and they noted no problems. I submitted the paperwork and FAHW reopened the service request. 2nd contractor comes out a second time and says the system has low gas pressure. Claim was denied. I open up a gas service request with FAHW. The gas contractor confirms no gas problem. FAHW reopens the claim and send the 2nd contractor back out a 3rd time. This time the contractor does not schedule an appointment and shows up at the house without confirming that an individual of the age of 18is at the house. The contractor takes photos of the pool heater . The contractor was not authorized to be on the property since a date and time was not scheduled. There is a concern that someone was outside the house and the family inside were not aware. Ring camera showed the individual on property for 6 minutes. I did not get to see what the pool company was doing to the unit while on-site. Next, I was told by FAHW that my replacement claim was denied due to the report and photos taken.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Win. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Paul Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Just an awful warranty company that actually makes you feel helpless when in need. It was such a painful experience. I hope that at the least, this helps others by seeing the pain this company causes. Within my area, First American cycles between 2 pool companies for pool repairs whom have no business being around pools but are well trained to know exactly what voids FAH warranties. And if one was to review those companies reviews they would see similar issues like mine and similar claims like mine. For this particular issue - a crack in the main filter, the cause determined by their contractor was due to a dirty filter which he then told me would void the warranty. Mind you, this determination was made when he knocked on my front door and w/out seeing the equipment. He proceeded to prove to me that was the cause and then told me First American will void this but ill still submit. I did tell him i had a professional pool company that just cleaned the filter 3 months ago, which he told me they are lying to me. What followed was 3+ weeks of complete hell. I called the First American call center and submitted a complaint about this guy and his accusations that my filter is not clean and that this would void my warranty. I told FAH i have proof it has been cleaned and I will get outside vendors to come and diagnose also since its obvious it has to be replaced. -The outside contractors laughed at the idea one would consider this a dirty filter and they all determined it to be the life of the housing for the reason. Onee contractor flat out said its a scam if they think this filter caused that crack. Also note, I have a very well known pool service company that comes out weekly to maintain the pool and cleans the filter religiously every 6 months. And all of that proof was sent to FAH. Also, the findings of the other contractors were also sent with their estimates. I followed up daily either by their general claim review email (where they asked me to send all my emails) or the call center. My pool equipment has been off for 3+ weeks and the water was actually harmful to be in, my salt water had to have chlorine dumped to combat the equipment (My child is allergic to chlorine) and since that obviously didn't work since all the equipment is off, my pool service company + and an outside contractor said they cant do weekly service until i get the water treated and or drained and/or get this filter replaced today. So, i document that, beg them to respond or tell me what to do, even asking if its ok if i just purchase it and send it to my only lifeline at First American - the general email that ive never heard from and the call center. Hear nothing from email (5+ days) and call center give me the same 2 options: File a complaint (which would be the 3rd one and i know they aren't documenting them or escalate). However, this time based on the scenario they advised to not do any more damage to the pool so to handle that and then they would continue the escalation internally. So i had not other choice then to replace it. I got that done and emailed and called the sources again and told them. The next day I finally get a call (how convenient) but it was to tell me that my claim is denied b/c i replaced it myself it and that they had assigned another one of their contractors to make a 2nd diagnosis (3 weeks later they tell me this) but since i replaced it its all is void and she had the nerve to tell me that this completes your request. By the way, the 2nd contractor they were brining out is the same company currently working on my pool heater. When i say working on it - I mean they came out, super rude and unprofessional, scared my kids when they went straight into my backyard (when i requested they don't) - which they entered on the wrong side and proceeded to walk, across my large backyard through the kids playing and over to the other gate to the pool. They then blamed the pool heater not working was due to it not being cleaned (b/c of spiders in the pipes and it needed to be cleaned (and would not look at the errors it was throwing). Notice the cleaning trend. "I dare you to google first american home warranty pool repairs cleaning" and research the trend. B/c Ive dealt with this before, I had my pool company clean the heater, but this company said they have to clean it so they can be ensured its not that.. So they charged me $150 to clean it and then 2 days later the same issues were still going on. This was over 7 weeks ago. For the past 6+ weeks, they haven't been able to schedule to come back and take a look at it. Actually they called me once at 7am asking if they can be at my house at 9am and i was not in town but haven't heard back in 2 weeks. This is the company First american was lining up to be their 2nd opinion (which i'm sure would of taken weeks to come out based on the heater situation). At the end of the day, I paid for the filter (which should of clearly been under warranty and proven by 3 contractors) + now I am paying for treating the water b/c i waited those 5 days thinking FAH would respond, even though it had been 3 weeks going. Not sure what else I could of done, I had to replace it because it was becoming a health hazard and I gave every opportunity for this company to help, i contacted them daily, tried to be proactive and tell them the outlook just looking for the help they promised when i signed up for them. Never again will I make that mistake by choosing First American and I hope you don't either.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Paul. We understand your frustration. We have also messaged you for additional information.

Bruce Margolis Phoenix, AZ

several times when they sent me a company to service my system, some companys gave terrible service. It was hard to reach them when I called them for example.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Bruce. We appreciate your feedback. Have a great day.

Peggy Colton Los Angeles, CA

Because they have a great service and they make sure you are completely satisfied and also they do your service in a timely orderly

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Peggy. Thank you for your feedback.