Best Company Guarantee Choice Home Warranty Logo

Choice Home Warranty

8.2

LAST UPDATED: September 28th, 2022

Choice Home Warranty, founded in 2008, offers comprehensive coverage with a low price tag. The home warranty company strives to offer a simple claim process, excellent service technicians, and a quick turnaround from when a claim is made.

Read Choice Home Warranty Reviews

The Good

• Choice Home Warranty Cost
  • Choice Home Warranty Plans
  • Choice Home Warranty Optional Coverage
  • Choice Home Warranty Claims Process
  • No Home Inspection Required
  • Choice Home Warranty Customer Service
  • Real Estate Agent Packages
  • Transferable Service Contract
  • Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Choice Home Warranty Cost

Choice Home Warranty offers some of the most affordable prices in the industry:

• Choice Home Warranty monthly cost: $45–$55
  • Choice Home Warranty annual cost: $530–$690
  • Add-on coverage cost: $40–$180

Your premium cost will be dependent on the coverage plan that you choose. If you add optional coverage to your plan, you will be charged an additional cost for each item. You can also opt to make one annual payment instead of a monthly payment, which could save you some money in the long run.

Most Choice Home Warranty plans have a flat service fee of $85 per claim, covering the cost of having a contractor/technician come to your home to diagnose and repair your broken appliance or system.

Choice Home Warranty offers the first month of service free with the purchase of any of its single-payment and one-year warranty plans. The company also runs frequent promotions that allow homeowners to win new kitchen appliances when they apply for a quote on a home warranty plan.

On BestCompany.com, Choice Home Warranty reviews* frequently mention plan pricing and 70 percent of those rate-specific reviews highlight how affordable and competitive the company’s prices are — many customers indicate that they chose Choice Home Warranty because of its low prices in comparison to other companies.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Keith from Snellville, Georgia

"I chose Choice Home Warranty because of the price and the amount of appliances they cover. It is definitely worth the money. The heater in the house went out and they scheduled a technician to come out early the next day to correct the situation."

Choice Home Warranty Plans

Choice Home Warranty offers extensive coverage similar to other top companies in the home warranty industry. Choice Home Warranty offers two coverage plan options:

• Basic Warranty Plan — Covers basic home appliances, such as a water heater, a garage door opener, and a built-in dishwasher.
  • Total Warranty Plan — Covers all appliances in the Basic Plan, as well as additional major appliance and system options, such as air conditioner systems and refrigerators.
Covered Items Basic Plan Total Plan
Clothes washer and dryer
Ductwork
Garage door opener
Ceiling and exhaust fans

Conditions may apply, but either plan should cover most homeowner appliance or home system needs. It is also worth noting that Choice Home Warranty covers appliances and systems no matter the age, but they must be properly maintained and in good working condition.

Choice Home Warranty Optional Coverage

Choice Home Warranty offers a variety of optional coverage options which can be added to either the Basic Plan or Total Plan for an additional cost:

• Pool/spa
  • Stand alone freezer
  • Septic tank pumping

Choice Home Warranty Claims Process

The Choice Home Warranty claim process is as follows:

1. Make a claim by phone or online through your customer portal account.
  2. Choice Home Warranty will begin contacting service providers upon receiving your claim. Within 48 hours you should receive the name and contact information of a contractor, as well as a confirmed appointment time.
  3. The contractor will come and perform the requested service. You will pay the $85 service fee.

If you need assistance beyond making a claim, Choice Home Warranty's call center is available 24/7. The company’s website also has a simple contact form that is easy to fill out and is sent to them immediately.

It is also worth noting that if an appliance or system breaks after a repair, you are guaranteed a free repair within 90 days of the original repair appointment.

No Home Inspection Required

Unlike some home warranty companies, Choice Home Warranty does not require customers to have their home inspected in order to obtain a contract, which enables a more seamless transaction process for those signing up for warranty plans.

This feature also allows customers to save money at the beginning by avoiding the cost of a home inspection.

Choice Home Warranty Customer Service

With many home warranty companies, the claims process is not very personable, and service requests are assigned to a clerk in a large department. However, customers who choose to purchase a Choice Home Warranty will work with a knowledgeable, dedicated team of two or three representatives that will service their covered home repair needs quickly and efficiently.

In addition to being thoroughly involved in the claim, Choice Home Warranty has representatives that are available to answer any questions that may arise. Anytime delays take place, Choice Home Warranty requires their technicians to immediately provide the customer with an estimated completion date. Customers will appreciate being kept in the loop about when the warranty service will be completed.

Review Icon

Customer Service: Melanie from San Antonio, Texas

"Choice Home Warranty is a better value than the home warranty company that I was previously with. They've been great. They have good customer service who answer your questions and help solve your problems. Anytime I've contacted them, they have satisfied me. I recently used the warranty because the ceiling fan in my living room quit working. When I contacted them online, they were right there saying a company was going to be coming over. That company never came so they dispatched another."

On BestCompany.com, Choice Home Warranty reviews* frequently mention customer service. Of these specific reviews, 63 percent of customers highlight good experiences with customer service, including timely response times and helpful reps.

On the other hand, 37 percent of reviews indicate poor customer service experiences.

Real Estate Agent Packages

Choice Home Warranty offers a number of coverage options specifically geared towards real estate agents. Because home warranties provide a valuable safeguard on the home's covered major systems and appliances, both buyers and sellers will receive peace of mind.

Additionally, including a home warranty with the purchase of a house provides a competitive edge that makes buying and selling homes more enjoyable. Choice Home Warranty also understands the addition of home warranty service has the opportunity to help close a deal, which ultimately has the opportunity to make the seller and the buyer more pleased with the settlement.

Transferable Service Contract

With Choice Home Warranty, coverage begins 30 days after enrollment and continues for 365 days from the start date. However, if a customer can provide proof of prior coverage through another warranty provider showing no lapse of warranty coverage, Choice Home Warranty will start new coverage as soon as the old warranty contract ends.

Any warranty contract can be renewed each year and is 100 percent transferable.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

A majority of Choice Home Warranty reviews on BestCompany.com are positive. Praise in these reviews includes quick responses and fast repair services, good communication, reasonable pricing, and easy claims process.

Reviewers also rate companies when they leave reviews. The Choice Home Warranty rating on BestCompany.com is competitive with the average score for the home warranty industry.

These responses from Choice Home Warranty customers emphasize that the company is a trusted warranty provider.

The Bad

• High Service Call Fee
  • Choice Home Warranty Coverage Limits
  • No Coverage for Pre-existing Conditions
  • Negative Choice Home Warranty Reviews

High Service Call Fee

Choice Home Warranty's service fee is $85 which is higher than the industry average fee of $75. However, Choice Home Warranty's service fee is a flat fee that won't change no matter the claim. Other home warranty companies may have a fluctuating service fee or different cost ranges based on the repair service that you order.

Choice Home Warranty Coverage Limits

The majority of appliances and systems covered by Choice Home Warranty have a $3,000 coverage cap, although there are some exceptions.

However, some systems have a lower cap of $500. The following systems fall into this category:

• Ductwork
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical

If a service or repair exceeds either $3,000 or $500, depending on the appliance or system, you will be required to cover the remaining cost.

No Coverage for Pre-existing Conditions

Choice Home Warranty does not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions for any covered appliances or systems. This isn't uncommon in the industry, but some home warranty companies do offer coverage for some pre-existing conditions.

Negative Choice Home Warranty Reviews

While a majority of Choice Home Warranty reviews on BestCompany.com are positive, a significant number are 1 star. Complaints include claims denial, trouble getting repairs completed, and delays with claims process and reimbursements.

The Bottom Line

Choice Home Warranty is a top-rated company in the home warranty industry, setting itself apart with competitively low coverage costs. However, the company has a higher-than-average flat service fee of $85.

If you are looking for extensive coverage with additional perks, Choice Home Warranty could be a good choice for you. The company offers the first month of coverage for free, as well as free repairs within 90 days after an appliance or system was serviced at the time of your claim appointment.

Choice Home Warranty reviews are primarily positive with 67 percent of reviews awarding the company 4 or 5 stars. Reviews most often highlight the company’s affordable coverage and customer service.

*Choice Home Warranty review data used in this profile is taken from a sample of 2,400 reviews left by customers on BestCompany.com.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

3.8

bookmark

Featured Review

Jimmie

They've always been right there for us any time we have had to use them. They're very friendly and they're just very very professional. I used it recently on my air conditioner. My experience with the guy they sent out was awesome. He addressed the problem immediately, no questions asked. He took care of the problem with no issues. Every time they have sent someone out, they've just been very professional and have addressed the problem immediately.

bookmark

Featured Review

James

They are knoweldgeable, friendly, and professional. The repair person came out and he was outfitted with his mask because of the virus and he came in and inspected the appliance and told me what was wrong and what needed to be done. Then he had the parts and he repaired it and was on his way. They are very responsive and prompt.

Eliff Gambrills, MD

I had major surgery and have been in the hospital for almost a month. I came home and I lost my air conditioning. Right after I got home, it was extremely difficult for me to breathe. I contacted choice and I told them my situation. Within three days they've got somebody out here and the gentleman that they sent out here was able to fix my air conditioning immediately. Now he was supposed to come out to me in the evening hours, but instead they conveyed my situation to him and he moved me up and came out in the morning hours which I greatly appreciate. Compassionate towards their customer circumstances.

Sharyn Nordendale Tavares, FL

I've been with Choice for about nine years and I still have three properties with Choice and they've always done a good job. Sometimes I haven't been happy, but they had no control over the wait time on parts, but they've done a good job for us we're very happy. Whenever I call they they do what they can to correct the issue. I've used it so many times, I've used it on my air conditioner which they came out and fixed right away, I just recently had them out here to fixed my refrigerator they put in new compressors and it is working beautifully, they fixed my microwave, they fixed a lot of things over the years.

R. Allen Advance, NC

I have used home warranties for over 20 years with typically satisfactory results. Regardless of who you use, there are going to be some issues that may not be resolved the way you would like them to be. The most important thing is to read and understand what the policy covers and the different methods of resolution that are available. If you have a question about coverage or vendor service, call a representative and get an answer to that question. That way you can decide what available resolution will be best for you. I moved to Choice Home Warranty a few years ago and have received good service when filing claims and working with their service vendors. Most recently I had a service vendor work on a difficult washing machine claim until 9:30 pm taking time to assure all connections and vent ducting was secure and working properly. Great service provided by Choice Home Warranty and their service vendors makes me happy and is appreciated.

Carr Atlanta, GA

Everytime we called they're really prompt and they come out and repair our service. Our air conditioning stopped working and it was very hot in the summertime and we called them and the next day someone from their air conditioning emergency service came and repaired the product and we were satisfied. When I give them a call I get an immediate response.

White Mesa, AZ

I've only used them once so far and they did very well. They walked me through what I actually needed to do. The experience turned out well. They were very professional, they checked everything they said the unit was in good shape everything was fine but they couldn't figure out what was going on, and I had put the vent on half for blowing out and that what was causing the problem so they went around the house and opened up all the vents and now it works properly. I was very pleased with the whole experience.

Nancy Mumford Gonzales, LA

I've had a Choice policy for about 4 years. I made claims on my washing machine, range, and toilet. All were accepted. The washer and toilet were repaired by competent professionals and have been working great ever since. My only charge was the l standard $85 fee, which is less than most diagnostic service calls. The range could not be repaired. I was given a lump sum to help with the purchase of a new range in the amount of about half of what it actually cost to replace. The range was 6 years old, so I was satisfied with settlement. I will continue to remain protected with Choice.

Akber Ali a Asaria Allen, TX

Many think Home Warranties are a gimmick. I assure you CHW is the real deal! I have used CHW on a handful of occasions, and they have without question provided the fastest and most efficient service one could expect. In my most recent example, my entire AC system was replaced at only a fraction of the cost to me! If you are looking for a Home Warranty Company with great rates, fast service and outstanding communication...Choose CHW

Debbie Sparks Gretna, VA

This warranty program is unbeatable! Up until a few weeks ago, I hadn't had to make a claim. So I really wasn't sure if it was going to be ok. But I had to make a claim because my refrigerator stopped working right. I made a claim online. They kept me updated every step of the way and in only a couple of days they sent a repairman who spent two hours here and had to replace a cooling fan. All I owed was the service fee, which I paid on my phone right then and there. It was the easiest transaction I have ever done. Don't be afraid to take out this program. It's the REAL DEAL!

Cortez Diamond Bar, CA

Recently my refrigerator went out and I scheduled someone to come out and take a look at it and it took a week for him. He had to order parts and two weeks later he showed up and put in the parts, but didn't test them and the following week it was out again so now I'm waiting on another company. They canceled the week after so now wait until next this next week coming up for them to show up. They need to have someone that could help walk you through because since they subcontract out to other companies to try to hold off and you can't speak to anybody from choice warranty about the problem that you're having and they don't call you back.

Baker Saint Louis, MO

I would definitely recommend anybody to choice. I was in my home only a week and the heater went out and I did the online submission and they came out and and fixed it and took care of it within a couple of days for my sixty five dollars. They came right out and took care of it and I was so nervous being a new homeowner, so thankful that they were there to come in. They had a reputable company come in and fix it and were very knowledgeable informative about the process and I felt very good about the whole thing. Very responsive.

Faw North Wilkesboro, NC

I've not been able to get them to get anybody to come and work on my electrical I'm trying to get a hold of somebody. I just used it a few weeks ago and they were right here like they say they would be. They came right in and did the work and we're very courteous and nice and I couldn't ask for any better service.

Croston Gastonia, NC

I used my warranty just recently for my refrigerator, my ice maker wasn't working. A technician came out as scheduled and he had to replaced the part, he came on the day and said he would be back to replace it, I've never heard from him again until weeks later. I had to call Choice twice regarding this matter and they were finally able to get a hold of the technician and he will be coming to finish up the job. So I was a little disappointed because the company never responded and never called me back. I also had someone come in to check my sink when it was leaking and that company was absolutely wonderful. They came in, they fixed repairs very, very quickly and I was very happy.

Trunnelle Casa Grande, AZ

The company that they sent out was excellent, we're very pleased with them. They took a reasonable amount of time and so far I'm pleased with Choice. Our air conditioners weren't working and it was hot and we called and took us three days because it was weekend and they came and fixed it. I would prefer to be able to talk to a person but doing it otherwise has worked fine.

Treachler Ashburn, VA

They get things done. The only thing I don't like is they keep sending me advertisements like everyday, so other than that I think they're doing great. They answer, they solve it, they get somebody out really fast no problems.

Brownschidle Depew, NY

The garage door failed so I called and the person came out and fixed it on the spot and it was the same with the plumbing. We had a stoppage in the kitchen sink they went ahead and did the stoppage, they first make out the line and they replaced all the plumbing underneath the sink and it works perfectly.

Anonymous Scottsdale, AZ

They're very efficient and very quick. I've had a lot of experiences with home warranty and they aren't all good. I had people that did not follow up, I've been told that they're going to come out and they don't come out and then they don't answer telephone calls and that sort of thing so that's not very good. I've had other times where they've sent out somebody who has been very professional and very good. My experiences with them vary.

Karls / Jacquelyn Hicks Mesa, AZ

Twice I've used it. Once for my washing machine and it was fixed and the other time was for my for my ice maker and the first time it seemed to fixed it but we had trouble with the ice maker after that and we called again and the second time back they fixed it good, perfect.

Smallwood Temple Hills, MD

I've had them for 5 or more years and they've always handled any issues that I've had. My dishwasher was not working so I put in the claim on the internet. Everything went okay the only problem was that I didn't get a notification as to when the company would come to fix the dishwasher.

Ronald West Saint Louis, MO

The sump pump wasn't working and they came out and fixed it and the guy had to go get a new one and I think it was put in wrong so we have to call them back and they came out again and it was in the wrong way and they corrected it and it's been working pretty good.

Blochowicz Jr Stafford, VA

I had another warranty with another company and I was completely dissatisfied with it. I just tell everybody about Choice Warranty in a positive. Garbage disposal is not working and I called and they sent somebody out there in 2 days and it worked out perfectly.

Halek Brooksville, FL

I haven't had to used them often but when I have I've always had a positive experience and quite honestly I hope I don't have to use it because I hope nothing goes wrong but should the day come and when it does I know that I can call Choice and they probably take care of what I need to.

Enriquez Houston, TX

I like the the platform, the portal, like how you could do the claim status, you have a pretty fast response rate. I was having issues with with an AC unit at my rental property and I think I put it in like a night before and within the next day a technician was there, so that was that was nice that they got there pretty quickly.

Hunter Dothan, AL

I've been with them for over 15, 16 years or so. I've left Choice a couple times before and tried other warranty companies and I went back to Choice because they just couldn't compete. Just recently one of my air conditioners went off. I had to use the warranty to replace the compressor and some other things, but the contract didn't pay for the compressor being removed or replaced, but it did cover a lot of other things. So basically it cost me $2000, but I would have spent $5000 without Choice. Yeah, I'm OK with that.

Brown Empire, CA

Whenever we've had to call them they're really polite, very nice. They got things done real fast. We just had an electrician out when our fridge had completely broken down, so we had to get a new one. But they had a service person come up to try to fix it and they paid for the refrigerator.

Lester Houston, TX

I had to have something done with my refrigerator. It was not working right, and they said it would be $75 for someone to come out. And that's gone up I believe from when I started. They sent their young men out. He opened the refrigerator door and he looked at the mechanism in the back and he said that needs to be replaced. I paid him the $75 in cash and he left. Now when they finally contacted me from Choice warranty office, it took 30 days for me to get a response from them that they were going to replace it. They only covered 400 and something dollars, I can't even buy a refrigerator with that, but they said that is the ammount because of the age of refrigerator. There's maybe a miscommunication with replacement when it's broken totally to how it's covered. Disappointed

Ismail Saint Louis, MO

They're not expensive as well and they do great work. Very excellent. When calling choice and letting them know what problems that I was having, they came out and fixed it. They did a good job and gave me great customer service.

Carroll North Augusta, SC

I've had a wonderful experience. About two months ago my air conditioning system was out. They made an appointment. The guy came out and was very professional. It was just no problem. I have never had a problem and they're always there. When I call for an appointment, I have no problem getting it.

Brenda McKinney Winston Salem, NC

I have had 2 minor requests. One was for the garbage disposal. It was replaced with a low end, very loud disposal. I was not consulted about the potential of an upgrade. The product was a brand that to my knowledge is no longer being manufactured. The second instance was adding Freon to my AC. That was a good experience and was completed quickly. I assume it was not considered urgent since it was 3 days after my call that the service was completed.

Arumugham Duluth, GA

I was happy with them. My basement AC wasn't working, so I called and I filed a claim. The next business day they sent me information about a company to come to take a look at it. They came the next day. The motor was not running and they approved to replace the capacitor undertone.

Barrett Polson, MT

A couple weeks ago and they sent out a guy from black care refrigeration. He did a very good job and they got it taken care of in just a few hours. They stay right on top of it and they got me somebody to take care of my problem right away.

Polk-Lucas Waco, TX

They explained to me all the information about the policy. The service people that they recommend did a wonderful job quite well with the work they needed to do. I had an extremely high water bill and I looked at my meter outside. It was spinning and so they came out and repaired what was needed. I appreciate their service

Brewer Indianapolis, IN

They've been better this year than the past years. Last year I needed to use my warranty and they were saying that it wasn't covered, but they did end up taking care of it. I've had several things go wrong and they have been on the spot with everything and respond within a day, so I'm grateful for that.

Allen Cape Coral, FL

We had our dryer repaired within the last two months and it was a very positive experience. The service tech that came over was very good and recognized what the problem was, ordered the parts, and within less than a week the parts came in and they installed. They have been very helpful to find near by companies to do the repair work in a timely manner.

Auger Hockley, TX

The technician they sent out was amazing. He talked us through everything, was super knowledgeable and it was an all around good experience under the circumstances. AC wasn't running it at full capacity and he took care of everything for us very simple.

Espinoza Dallas, TX

A friend of mine has Choice Warrany, he told me that it was a good company so I decided to choose them. I had to use it and the people that came in fixed my AC, they only took about 15 minutes and they got it working. They did a great job.

Tirukkovalluri Ashburn, VA

I have used my warranty a couple of times, once when my boiler broke and the other time when my HVAC broke, and when I called them they have sent the technician as soon as possible and they got it replaced for the issues that I had.

Lee-Kennemer Midland, TX

They were always quick to respond, very thorough, follow-through with what I was told, and followed up afterwards. The only thing I wish was covered was the fireplace. We did have a problem with the gas line to the fireplace and it wasn't covered.

Auld Richmond, VA

All the times I have talked to them they've gone above and beyond to answer any question and then made it feel personal. Something on the stove went out and within a day or 2 I heard from the company that was going to come fix it, came back the following week to fix it.

Olson Apache Junction, AZ

They've sent very competent people to handle whatever the problem was and I was really happy with that. The air conditioning guy was great. I'm gonna use them to service my air conditioning from now on.

Butani West Hempstead, NY

I have been customer for couple of years, I have used warranty for about five to six times. I had good experience the four times, one time I had a bad experience. Sometimes I had to call them twice for the same problem. It is cheap and they promise a good service.

Morgante Fredonia, NY

They answer the phone and they seem to get back to you very quickly. The first time I used it I went online enter the problem, I didn't hear back to them so I called a live agent and they scheduled an appointment for a repairman to come. I think it's inappropriate that you have to wait 30 days for a check. They're quick to replace appliances, but waiting for reimbursement is too long.

Veltman Titusville, FL

Just the other day I had a problem, my thermostat died and I'm not really good at replacing stuff like that so I couldn't get a new one to work and they came out and he was here in another ten minutes.

Dryden Stafford, VA

Sometimes they would reply, they would tell me that a tech was fine and they would leave a number for me to reach out to the technician that I wanted to schedule a more convenient time and I would find out that that tech was not associated with Choice Home Warranty anymore so it seems like their database or whatever they're using is not as updated it could be. And then a couple of times we had to wait months before we got a repair and then they had to send multiple companies.

Murad Garland, TX

They answer pretty quickly and they get somebody out pretty quickly. I recently had a problem with my air conditioner and they came out and tell me how to get it fixed and took care of it on Monday.

Sanders Middleburg, FL

The repair guy they sent out for the air conditioner was very polite, very respectful of my home and informed me what he was doing and how to prevent what was going on with my air conditioner.

Gonzalez Las Vegas, NV

I was having a breaker issue. When I called in, they gave me an appointment. The people confirmed the appointment, came out and changed out my breaker and it's been fine since.

Matthews-Pelle Charlotte, NC

I really love that Choice Home warranty would vet some of the companies that they reach out to for servicing because I was dissatisfied with the company that they sent to me a couple of weeks ago for my dryer which wasn't working, and the guy was very young. I don't think he was experienced enough to actually fix the problem.

Collinwood & Corrie Elston Oklahoma City, OK

Recently we did our washer and they sent someone out and our washer was no good at all, so they said we could get a Lowe's gift card for $360. I just wanted to know if I can get money some other way because you can't buy a washer for $360 and I wanted to just buy one off Facebook. But it took me 2 weeks to get an answer to that question. I had to make an appointment and everything, and then it took another 30 days to get a check. Whereas if they would have just answered me when I first asked that question, it would have been speed up. But I couldn't get anyone to answer me.