Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.6

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Felicia King Bellwood, IL

The experience I had they sent out masterpro to my home bad service they kept stating it was the lint screen and I told them that was not it. I purchase a new one and dryer still did not dry call masterpo manager said because I gave her service tech bad review he will not come back out and she as a manager rude which I did not want that tech back out he was here like 15 minutes. That company American shield sent out there should drop them and read the reviews with company and manager one star. When I tried to to speak with manager at American took three days kept getting the run around until my son tried and told them we not hanging up. After all that American shield got A E factory out and Dave service tech was excellent and he died the problem and it's like I have a new dryer.

Ronald Bransford Schertz, TX

Generally on simple request AHS does well. Now trying to replace a water heater recently it has taken almost two weeks for AHS to move on the issue. I spent countless hours trying to resolve issues with overseas call centers that were useless. AHS essential has customer service agents that must work in closets without any contact to other AHS departments and can only read from scripts. Worse if you call more than once the narrative changes. The call center agents have no understanding of the issue or how to resolve it. The customer has no means to recitify a problem with an AHS decision of repair. The customer agent doesn't apparently have that tool either. Corporate resolution is not possible since the executive staff is insulated from the customer. While after doggedly pursuing a resolution the service provder was able to convince AHS to change their decision of repair.

Eva Narvaez Dickinson, TX

Very conflicted on my answers, up until recently I have felt very positive about AHS, but issues with an air conditioner claim has rapidly changed my outlook. I have spoken with a customer rep twice and both were polite but seemed limited on the information they could share with me. I have requested copy of my contract and copy of cost of materials neede for repair and have yet received them. I would love to be able to speak with a person authorized to address my questions but it seems difficult to do so and this causes trust issues. We have heard some unfavorable stories of other’s experiences and I am hoping for better results!!!

Mary A. Bowles Rogers, AR

I needed A/C repair in June...AHS was unable to find someone to help me and I ended up finding my own repair person. They told me they would refund the $80+ money I paid to make the appt. I not received it ! Also, no local repair companies would work under AHS because every time you call, you have to wait online for over an hour. This is true, I did it 4 times !

Alyse Kobus Sacramento, CA

It's been just ok so far. I don't like that you have the option to say "still not fixed" and then the new service request it creates charges you, even if you're within the 30 day guarentee. That's not ok, also it was extremely hard to hear the customer service representative that I spoke to on the phone. She was helpful mostly, but I couldn't hear half of what she was asking or saying to help answer her questions.

Kathy Davis Nacogdoches, TX

The first time I tried to use AHS it was great - Crockett Lock rekeyed my house and they were very nice. The second time i needed AHS concerned my air conditioner It was on a Saturday and our AC wasn't cooling. I called and they charged me the $75 and gave me a provider and they wouldn't be open till Monday. My husband had a stroke 1 1/2 years ago and its hard for him to be without air. I called AHS back and they ( after about 1 hour of questioning) gave me permission to call another AC company that could come right out. They said that they weren't on their bad list ! I called McWilliams and Sons ( the approved company) and they said that they could come right out BUT that they didn't work with AHS and that we would have to pay the service charge of $80. We did and they came and fixed it. I tried to get my money back from AHS since I had to pay the other company. When I called I just got the run around. The next time I tried to use AHS I had a problem with the gas line to my gas stove. I called and they said that wasn't covered even though I had been told that they covered that. I hope we don't have a problem with our gas heater - they probably won't cover that either ! I did my research and really thought this was a good company BUT I am very disappointed in the service that I have gotten so far. Everyone that I have talked to when I called in was VERY hard to understand.

Lloyd R Yeager Newtown Square, PA

Takes a long time on hold to get hold of an agent and then they are overseas agents. If I need to speak with someone else, they say they cannot transfer calls or get someone else to call me back. When agents have promised to call me back they never do.

Robert Smalley Conyers, GA

Last week a plumber did a good repair and on a bathroom shower faucet. He had to cut a hole in the wall to get to a pipe. The hole is still there. American home shield said they were going to send a person to patch the drywall. We haven't seen or heard from any repair person yet. HELP.

Richard Brackin Milner, GA

We have had one positive experience, and one negative - so I chose to vote right in the middle. Our first experience ended with us having to come completely out of pocket thousands of dollars and repair damage potentially done by the contractor HSA sent out to fix the issue. Our second experience was wonderful, we were very satisfied with the customer support and technician.

B Donohue Ojai, CA

They always seem to find a way not to cover items. Plumbing repair: they send out inexperienced plumbers/contractors who on many occasions incorrectly misdiagnosed a problem, said it was not covered, I had to personally fix the problem at my own expense. It was a simple fix which only required a change of cartridge. It took time and youtube videos to figure it out. Be aware of the lazy high water pressure diagnosis by their subcontractors. I have 2 houses and they used it on both. Of course AHS will not cover, however the subcontractor will offer to fix at a cost between $250.00 to $800.00 depending on the company. The customer service is poor. Typically, I spoke to someone and there was a language barrier. They don't record prior problems well, so every time you have to rehash the problem. On a positive note, I have had great experience with their appliance subcontractors and that is why I have kept the policy.

Elaine Bush Orangeburg, SC

They were quick to assign a service person but have taken too long to resolve my claim. Not pleased with offer on one appliance and still waiting too resolve another appliance. I called in om 6/28/21

Mary Ann McCart Goose Creek, SC

Have had this home insurance since we have bought our house and we use it often. However, we just got notified that our monthly payment is going up almost $25 a month. I think that is too much

Hazel Gonzalez Triangle, VA

Well I was very devasted because the MRE paiir they charge me 170.00 dollars.Im really hopi g that I get my money backnting company charge me 170.00 dollars testerday after doing my walls.

La Donne Cornelius Paramount, CA

I like having am extra layer of assurance incase a repair is needed in my home but sometime it's difficult to speak to a representative when needed. Also, some of the technicians don't do the greatest work and try to overprice consumers. Its a little hard to trust Ahs when the technicians are swindling us.

Khea Johnson Frederick, MD

I'm please that my co-pay is less than a visit, but unhappy that I still have to pay out of pocket when I use the service-- for the air-conditioner freon. I'm also unhappy that AHS doesn't offer credits for upgrading things that are broken and can't be fixed... freon leak. Also, very unhappy that United Air lied and said you offer $1K in credit toward an upgrade (but only during "authorization", so Customer Services knows nothing about it. You should stop contracting with United Air because David lies.

Barbara Ludwig Malvern, PA

I do like that they have improved the scheduling an appointment needed. It is still difficult to get vendors to call back in a timely manner for appointments. it takes too long to get a vendor to answer an appointment, especially when it is an applicance as air conditioning or heating. This is needed quickly in many cases and waiting for 3-4 days is not satisfactory.

Constance Gaines Las Vegas, NV

More attention should be paid as to whether requested repairs were done vs someone showing up to tell you they can't perform the task Your deductible is gone and the repair still needs to get done. Also the requested work eligibility should be verified BEFORE sending someone out to tell you that it's not civered. Again deductible is gone. Money wasted, customer frustration and dissatisfaction. This happened to me twice.

Frances L Britten Kailua, HI

4th call on my refrigerator inside 2 wks, tech had no report or knowledge of previous calls. No way on website to contact AHS for personal service or to make complaint. Six months delay in dishwasher repair with very little follow-up or communication. Sometimes language barrier issues. Difficult to reach a human being. Customer service NEEDS A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT.

Taquanda Dixon White Plains, MD

Improvement could be with customer service, not getting a new agent every time you call , possibly working with the same agent if a ID number is provided for the same issue. Wait time can be horrible or even finding a vendor to supply your area. Miss communication on canceled authorizations without the customer knowing is never a good thing. They price continues to increase annually without the customer's knowledge. They continue to try to make me pay a service call twice for the same issue days after completion or incompletion of the service.

Marta Jaramillo Costa Mesa, CA

It's difficult to get in touch with a person. I was charged 2 times for the same service. I had my washer serviced and when the tech left the UE is still lighting up. Did an online chat and was assured a ticket would open ... nothing happened I had to open one up again for the same service and was charged another $100 ! When the tech came he said there was nothing he could do except fix the work the previous guy did. Also, now I'm waiting for the computer board to be replaced in hopes the UE sensor doesn't stop the washer. The balancers were replaced and a water pump

Anonymous Montgomery, AL

When technicians are scheduled to come out home shield does not follow up to see if the visit has been completed. Instead you have to call to ask questions when you have not heard from the technician in a timely manner. Customers spends resources with American homeshield & not the technicians. Also when the job is complete a lot of times no work has actually been done but instead you are receiving advice if no work is done the customer should be refunded

Emily C Harris San Angelo, TX

I had to pay out of pocket when the plumber that came to my house couldn't locate the problem through our clean outs on the ground and had to get on the roof to snake down the vents because getting on the roof wasn't covered. So that was $300+ out of pocket on top of the $75 deductible I had already paid to AHS. Then, our AC went out for the 2nd time in 3 months with 100 degree temps and a baby in our house and they would not find us a local contractor to get our system working emergently but instead assigned us a contractor from 3.5 hours away that wouldn't come for 2 more days. I just canceled my service request, called a 24 hr HVAC technician that was local, and paid out of pocket.

Tom Keel Clarkston, MI

Several household utilities require immediate repairs(furnace, AC, etc.). On several occasions, AHS has not been able to accommodate these required fixes.

Crystal Hicks Alamogordo, NM

I've had good and not so good experiences for the 2 months I've been a member. Right now I'm waiting for a refund because I never received service I requested.

Sherri Albritton West Monroe, LA

It has been hit and miss. Unfortunately, you are unable to assist me with my AC issues. We need a bigger unit according to the tech. AHS considers that an upgrade and will not cover it.

Chantal Johnson Newport News, VA

This company is on the fence for me. I've had some good companies come out but more than not I've had to get a 2nd opinion by another professional, who actually fixes the problem.

Timothy Young Sparks, NV

American Home Shield assigns companies quickly. Unfortunately 1/3 of the companies don't call to make the repair appointments. One dryer repair company couldn't fix our dryer and said they would refer the claim to a repair company to finish the job. This never happened.

Detra Johnson Chesapeake, VA

Honestly, I am up in the area about AHS. I think that some service providers are very honest and want to do best by customers, while other come off a little shaded. So to rate AHS means rating the service providers and they are not all inclusive.

Venicia Ferrell Hampton, VA

When ordering a new appliance for a customer ensure that it has been delivered before scheduling installation. This issue caused me hours of frustration and there was no one in the US that responded to the call and any AHS phone number.

Brenda Street Coldwater, MS

The service is okay. It took 3 months of calling customer service to get my air conditioning fixed. But next day on my washer. Customer service was a nightmare. Once we got approved and after 3 opinions on the air conditioning unit it was fixed.

Teri Elmore Fort Worth, TX

I like that it saved me money, but it took 2 weeks without reliable air conditioning in 100-degree Texas to resolve my issue, & 3-4 days for each service call request, which was miserable when my house was 85 degrees & I couldn't sleep at night.

Peggy Tampa, FL

When they say they are going to refund your money within 3-5 days they should do it. So far it's been a month and it hasn't hit my bank account which is sad and still trying to collect another amt of what they were to refund me

Eugene Maylone Kempner, TX

In 2020 the AC people kept messing around with my AC the control panel was burnt the whole thing need to be replaced this went on for over a month and a half. So I ended up buying a new unit to put in my house. The people they hired to work on their ACs are incompetent

Penny Doval Los Angeles, CA

They're customer service is poor. They have a standard answer for everything, and the standard answer does not at all address your concerns. I have little to no complaint with the service providers, but the company I'm not happy with. I am presently looking for another company which provides the same kind of service.

Rebecca Carter Weatherford, TX

2 ac techs said I got under my house and messed up my duct work. First they only stick their head in and tried to look with a flashlight. I just bought this house and am disabled. I have not been under the house. Secondly the guy who came out for dryer told AHS it was still under my warranty and it was not. So I had to pay for a new one.

Armando Alcaraz

They use to be a much better customer service for the ploicy holder. The last thing needed is to wait 7-10 days for a reply on your repair request. I have been with them for over 35 years. This last water damaged drain line, the company sent made and left a mess.

Elizabeth Donise Farnum Sun City, CA

customer service not that great your on hold forever and no one get back to you. I am still waiting confirmation on a claims I submitted due to an water heater that blew up. I have called several time sent several emails nothing back. Only this general email no real correspondence

Roger A Bink Glendora, CA

time is of the essence when it comes to repair needs and while some contractors are great and super responsive, others are less responsive and concerned about the homeowner needs. This is also complicated by the process of getting approval from AHS to proceed and then getting an appointment to actually get the job done

Marcelo Castro Saint Augustine, FL

My faucet had to be replaced, and to do that, they had to cut my drywall. The faucet work was great, and I was told someone would be calling me to schedule the dry wall repair. Nobody did that, and I had to repair on my own expenses.

Dale Rodgers Layton Round Rock, TX

I just(2021) had to spend $1400 out-of-pocket to replace the A/C coil; last year(2020) I had to pay $630 to replace my water heater; in 2017 I had to pay $3,750 to replace my A/C unit; all of these were for "non-covered" items; seems like that's the standard now on top of a $100 service call each time and $900 annual fee

Chelsee Self Fort Worth, TX

Wait time to speak to a person has been as high as 50 minutes and then they still put you on hold. Repairs are not covered like they should be. Leaking shower that is under warranty but they won't cover getting into the wall or “creating and access”. I can understand not paying to put it back but getting to the leak should be covered.

Vicky Ann McAteer Salida, CA

When an A/C goes out during a triple digit heat wave, contractor should get back to people. AHS phone reps should not tell people the Contractor will call them as soon as they finish the job they are on when all the Service rep did was leave a voicemail for the Contractor. I could have lost my pets.

Ellen Rayner Baton Rouge, LA

I have been a member of AHS for close to 30 years and have seen a decrease in quality over the years. I'd say for the past 10 years the disorganization was basically dreadful with the company having to use contractors from way far out of town and always late some never showing at all

Ruby Jones Birmingham, AL

My service for plumbing work left me no satisfied. The job was incomplete and the options are not at my best interest at this time. I'm unable to purchase the suggestion for the kitchen faucets and the bathroom shower is still leaking.

Pedro Hernandez Roanoke, TX

The reason I did not give it a 5 star review is because of the long wait required to get an AC compressor approved and replaced. It takes approximately 2 weeks! In 90 and above summer days, 2 weeks to get your AC working again is cruel and unusual punishment.

Cecil Middleton Killeen, TX

Because of their agents who work in customer service not always willing to listen to questions you're trying to ask. Leaving you on hold for too long, switching you to Spanish speaking computer line, if you ask them to say their name again. Or just hanging up on you; I'm not quite sure what that was over?

Bryce Seattle, WA

I appreciate that they are often responsive and empathetic to our issues, but getting things covered by them can be an absolute nightmare, requiring me to spend hours on hours on the phone with them. Recently, their hold times have increased significantly, making it even more painful

Susan Holste Chandler, AZ

I understand the value of this service, but the length of time to get things resolved can be frustrating. For instance, it is now June 24 and we have not had a working refrigerator since February 6. Our problem is that we have a built-in refrigerator. It would be too expensive to replace under their guidelines, but fixing it is proving to difficult a job.

Sandra Picot Columbia, MD

Several weeks ago, I had a problem with my garage door. There were several mistakes made: inability of agent to understand the problem, cancellations of repair companies either with them, not me and vice versa. It almost one week. Agents would not allow me to talk with a supervisor. Finally, I called Fred J. They gave me a tip that resulted in my being able to fix the problem myself.

Javonne Walker Concord, CA

I was told that my refrigerator couldn't be fix, I was told to call my home warranty. I was told Sears was going to delivery a new refrigerator in 48hr to 72 hrs I wait. NOTHING i call back on hold for ever, this person transfer me to the replacement dept. I was then told i should have received a email explaining my options. The first person I talked to should have explain the process.