American Home Shield

8.4

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Anonymous Beaufort, SC

It’s great for appliances. But when it comes to AC units it can get pricey depending on if you’re using old Refrigerant or the newer refrigerant. Had to pay over 1000 just for refrigerant

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Apr. 9th, 2021

JB Cochranville, PA

Very hard to reach anyone that can help you by telephone!

Reply from American Home Shield

I am happy that you were happy with your experience. Although we hope there are no issues with anything in the home in the future, we are here to service you anytime you need us. Thanks for continuing your business with us. Take care!

GL Cumming, GA

Took little over 3 months to fix my oven

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are working diligently to improve the overall member experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Dennis Overton Pinellas Park, FL

Pro appliance was assigned as my appliance repair for my dryer... Pro Appliance insists on virtual diagnostics. Hate that. They guess at the repair needed which took a couple days. Then they order a part which takes 8-10 days. They’re supposed to come out with the part tomorrow. I’m expecting their diagnosis to be wrong and they’ll need to order additional parts taking more days. Crappy way to diagnose and repair which puts the customers out of service way too long.

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Amanda Hogan Wentzville, MO

The customer service I have had has been difficult over the last 3 months and am told conflicting information - blamed would be my reaction on any calls. But, the appliance repair technicians are always amazing.

Suzzane Ann Paguia-Patigas San Jose, CA

They did well on my other claims and they failed on the two claims I had with them. Poor customer service. No prompt response to my concerns. It stopped on their customer service which doesnt do anything other apologize. No resolution on my two other claims.

Jim Morgan Folsom, CA

When something needs replacing, you only get construction grade regardless of the grade of the item being replaced.

Blanche Ocala, FL

I need to have a ceiling fan replaced and was told it would be white. My broken one is brown!!!

Mike Seifer Henderson, NV

When problems occur, they pay for a portion, (better than nothing). I have determined over the last two years that my costs to fix would exceed what I paid for AHS + what I paid for my end of expenses.

Lisa Crofton Suffolk, VA

While they have responded to prior service requests with satisfaction, I recently requested the repair of my garage door opener. After paying a service fee for the repairman to come to the home in addition to the yearly contract fee, I was told they didn't cover the repair. I requested to speak with a supervisor twice, but never received a call back.

Dana Hancock Lebanon, TN

When I first had the service, the website didn’t work to request service and I held for over 30 minutes online 2x and gave up. I’m not pleased with my current service request. The provider did not show 2 times in a row amd I waited almost 4 hours each time. I requested a different provider and was told I had to let them try again! I think that is crazy when I have wasted 8 hours editing for them.

R.Smith San Luis Obispo, CA

I can not talk to a human being. contract changed w/o prior notice

J.H. Redding, CA

Takes hours or days to get help. Even on repeated issues and using same contractor.

Estelle Seefeldt Manchester, CT

They want money upfront but takes forever to get anything resolved

Nancy Scott Virginia Beach, VA

I thought my repair/replacement of my water heater would be more affordable. After paying my 100.00 fee it was 990.00 to replace it.

Carol Beckwith San Juan Capistrano, CA

If you have a house that is 50 years old and anything goes wrong with the plumbing, wiring, etc. The person they send out can say the whole system needs to be upgraded and American Home Shield won't cover it.

DL Raleigh, NC

Customer service representatives have limited knowledge and it takes several calls for appliance repair

Rhonda Woodbridge, VA

My monthly rate basically doubled and I was not notified. I’m actually looking forward a new warranty company

A Murphy Jonesboro, GA

Had AHS 18 years ago and was very satisfied for several years and was very satisfied. After a few years it began to send out questionable technicians from iffy companies. While the customer service people were always helpful and polite, they could only do what AHS allowed them to do. AHS was fine for small fixes but replacing major parts or whole systems, like HVAC the parts had to be ordered through AHS and took a long time. Also, the cheapest parts were used, even when replacing a more expensive version. Left AHS for a few years, recently came back and have been pleased so far, but I've only had small jobs done. However, no longer able to request certain companies known to be trustworthy on their list, have to take who they assign and hope for the best.

Lem Kinnick New City, NY

Not all service people are not that great. I find Homeserv has much better service people.

Reply from American Home Shield

Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us regarding your service request. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. We look forward to our continued business together. Have a good day.

Apr. 1st, 2021

Michael Stanford Granite Bay, CA

Covers most appliances in the home I would like for them to consider adding more contractors

Apr. 1st, 2021

Charles Northville, MI

I realize AHS is a business and only care about profit.

Reply from American Home Shield

We hate you are not completely satisfied with your experience and we look forward to making it better.

Dave London, KY

The most expensive system you will replace is the HVAC. AHS will replace the unit with an exact model but you will be charged for modifications to install it. This cost could be upward of 2000 dollars. Also it takes a long time to get a service call complete.

Kim Milan, IL

Sometimes it took along time to get things fix

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your loyalty. Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. We are working diligently to improve the overall member experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Dan Lincoln, NE

I had them for a year after purchasing my home. When I didn't renew they basically harassed me. I've said no over 10 times and they're still calling.

Reply from American Home Shield

We apologize that you are still receiving marketing calls. We hope that you would reconsider in the future.

Douglas J Jones Florence, TX

they contact a service company without seeing if the company can come over that day.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for providing your feedback. Keep in mind the company will follow up with you within 24 hours to get an appointment scheduled.

Christi Las Vegas, NV

Replacement value of items. Wait for parts need is extremely long.

Reply from American Home Shield

We hate that we are not able to control the shipping delays. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Antoine Rushing Sr Edgewood, MD

AHS is great for simple repairs but I’ve had to wait over a month for my hot water heater to be repaired or replaced.

Mar. 26th, 2021

Gwynn Marshall Saint Louis, MO

Some of the companies that you send out do inferior work.

Jo Ann Keeney Saint Charles, MO

Ice maker still non functions, leaking from, freezer not working well

J. Burgess Suffolk, VA

Customer service needs a lot of improvement. They don't call you. My experience shows that I have to do all the follow-up calling. No one reaches out to keep you abreast as to developments with your service call. When I call, the customer service rep wants to apologize. Well, apologizing isn't good customer service. Being proactive with effective communication is far better than a weak apology that doesn't change or improve the problematic situation. No discounts are offered, but delays mount. I've been dealing with getting the same problem resolved for over four months.

Jon Neel West Columbia, TX

During a week of freezing temperatures, it took them several days to decide they couldn't find a contractor to fix my heater. I think they should have let me find a contractor sooner. The freeze was over before my heater was fixed.

Gary Marten Coraopolis, PA

TO LONG OF WAIT BETWEEN FILING A CLAIM AND A SREVICE CALL!

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your honesty. we are working to control the call volume better and we thank you for you patience during this time. Keep in mind that you can also enter a request through your online account at www.ahs.com.

George Lett Indianapolis, IN

Price and deductible are high. They do not cover 100% of replacing an appliance.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Venus Mundy Cincinnati, OH

I would have like to receive a courtesy call as to why my service was delayed and to offer another choice.

Michael Covington, GA

They could cover more items in and around the home.

Lawrence Jones Bowie, MD

It really depends on which representative you get on the phone. I’ve add both good and bad experiences with being told wrong good and wrong information.

Marshall Arlington, TN

Usually it’s a fight, but the last request for service was easier.

Scott F. Redondo Beach, CA

Expensive monthly commitment, service is often not provided quickly when needed.

Melissa Coffman Zephyrhills, FL

We've had some great coverage and experiences. But one item that should have been covered, they did not cover. Plus when we moved we were over refund from our previous home that we never got, they still owe us over $400.

Lannie Dayton, OH

They keep trying to fix things when it is clearly unfixable

Thanks for your rating.

B Harkless Florissant, MO

had an issue that wasn't resolved and American Home Shield continue to give me the run around

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear that we did not provide a resolution and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Barry Gold Silver Spring, MD

Because they don’t cover the cost of air conditioning

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your inquiry. We have policies that provide coverage for the HVAC system. Please our website for more information.

Nicolas beltran Hacienda Heights, CA

It was difficult getting my new microwave. The companies they used were very unprofessional.

Cheryl Latimer Reynoldsburg, OH

Always make contact right away but if there is a problem they won't talk to you

Laura Robertson Groveland, CA

Because they did not keep me informed of the progress of my ticket.

Gina Peters Haymarket, VA

Some contractors are good, others not so good and there isn't support if contractors are not doing the job needed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. We look forward to our continued business together. Have a good day.

Henry Vallejo, CA

Issues that occurred in February still not resolved

Kal Northville, MI

Washer issue has not been fixed after two visits and not sure how long it will take yet.

Amy Young Yukon, OK

I am frustrated that each person I talked to on the phone was very difficult to understand. It was apparent that I was talking to call centers that were not in America. Some call center employees were unable to answer questions because they couldn't understand the question. When giving the email address for the cash out option, the call center employee's English was so understandable that the wrong email was given. I had to make contact through Facebook to get the correct email address. For a company named American Homeshield, I would expect to talk to someone with adequate English skills.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your honesty.