Slomin's Security is part of a family-owned and operated business founded more than 90 years ago. Since 1923, Slomin's has provided services like home heating oil delivery, heating equipment service and installation, air conditioning, and more. In 1981, the company began offering home security services and now serves 14 states in the eastern part of the U.S. Slomin's professionally-installed security options are available from $29.95 to $42.95 per month.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
4.1
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Frontpoint chevron_right

The Good

• Home Automation Options
  • Professional Installation
  • Free Equipment and Installation
  • 24/7/365 Monitoring

Home Automation Options

Slomin's offers basic home automation features including the ability to remotely lock/unlock doors and adjust temperature, lighting and appliances. Customers can also use Slomin's MyShield mobile app to view live video clips of their home. Slomin's is not a DIY-solution, but rather provides professional installation services with certified technicians.

Professional Installation

Another perk of a professionally installed security provider is little-to-no upfront costs. Slomin's customers receive free installation and equipment upon signing up for a security system.

Free Equipment and Installation 24/7/365 Monitoring

The company also owns and operates its own local monitoring center, which is available 24 hours a day.

The Bad

• Services Limited by Region
  • Lengthy Five-Year Contract
  • Lengthy 4 to 6 Hour Installation
  • Moving Fees and Penalties

Services Limited by Region

Slomin's security services are limited to just 14 states in the eastern United States: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and D.C.

Lengthy Five-Year Contract

Slomin's requires a 60-month customer agreement for its security services-far surpassing the industry standard of 36 months. And while you might think a longer contract equates to lower monthly fees, Slomin's $29.95-$42.95/month cost is about as average as it gets.

Lengthy 4- to 6-Hour Installation

Slomin's website estimates its professional installation takes 4-6 hours. Even though you're not paying for it, that is a long time.

Moving Fees and Penalties

The company's moving policy offers a few options, but all of them come with a fee or monetary consequence. Option 1: If you happen to move to another home in Slomin's service area, you can try to re-install the equipment yourself (we're guessing this isn't easy, being as it takes a professional 4-6 hours), or Slomin's will install it for an undefined "minimal fee." Option 2: Leave the system in your home for the new homeowner (assuming the new residents want to take over your contract), and Slomin's will install a brand new system in your new home for $395. Option 3: Basically the same as Option 2, but waive the $395 fee by signing up for a new 60-month agreement.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

When it comes to the pros associated with Slomin's security services, you're not getting any added benefit above what most professionally installed security providers offer. The cons, however, are worth noting: a 60-month contract, moving penalties if you happen to move before those 60 months, and limited regional services. If you're in the market for a new security provider, you'll likely find the same pros with fewer cons (and a shorter contract) from another security company.

View Best Home Security Companies

1.8

Nicole C
August 22nd, 2019 Holbrook, NY DETAILS

Have had Slomin's for 8 years, at my Long Island NY home and in West Palm beach FL, at my winter home, and they are a great company! Easy to get a hold of, great customer service and the security system is great. We also use them for our oil on Long Island and once had an issue. They came out on a Sunday at 8pm and fixed the problem. I would recommend Slomin's to anyone! Another reason is they are family owned and operated and look after their customers

Cheryl
August 22nd, 2019 Bayville, NJ DETAILS

We went from AT&T Digutal Life to Slomin’s about 3 months ago. Locked into 5 year contract and have had nothing but problems. 14 times they have been out to our home. They say oh, we need to replace that. Everytime something needs to be replaced...seriously?!?! And that still does not fix the issue. Customer service is no help, supervisors suck and insult us by reminding us we’re licked into a contract. Really, not one of them admit that 14 visits in 3 months is an issue?!?! What if it was their home. So basically I’m paying for a crap alarm I cannot trust. It’s constantly saying tampered and they don’t monitor/see and tampered alerts on their end. So someone can tamper with my device and kill us and they don’t see that. What am I paying for?? The rep that signed us, joe C is of absolutely no use. He claims gua customers of 39 years call him to this day...call for what? There’s nothing he has done to help us at all. Honestly I’m starting to wonder if I’m even dealing with the real Slomin’s since the sane 3 technicians come here and it’s never fixed. Is this a scam?! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. AT&T wasn’t the best but at least I was able to see every door that opened, every window, received alerts if there was a tamper. This company only shows you when the alarm goes off. Horrible absolutely horrible. We’ll be suing them to get out of this contract unless they want to pay my husband his hourly rate to stay home n monitor our system. Ridiculous and the fact that no one over there is the least bit sympathetic makes me sick.

Sophia
April 25th, 2019 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

My fiancé (now husband) and I rented an apt together years ago. While I wanted ADT, he wanted to use Slomins so I agreed. We were only in the apt for a year before we decided to relocate? I called Slomins to let them know that we would be moving in 30 days and they told me too bad, I'm bound to a contract and have to pay them to get out of it. They wanted $1500 to exit the contract which we didn't have. I paid up through the entire lease and called again to tell them that I could not honor that exuberant amount for an alarm system. They told me that I should have read the contract thoroughly. Not only were they incredibly rude, but my co-worker had been in a similar situation and was able to negotiate an exit without penalties so they had options. Let's just say that years later, they actually put a lien on my husband in the amount of $1800 as a penalty for breaking the contract. So on top of paying the monthly service bill on time, this works out to be an additional $150 a month on top of the base price. Who pays $350-400 a month for a few monitors in an apartment?? Pure rip-off and compared to what I pay now, $90 every 3 months for an entire 4 bedroom house. There are too many cost effective options on the market to be tied in contract with this old school company. Nobody does that anymore. It's a sign of pure desperation so my advice, steer clear. I wish I had followed my instincts and known that an ALARM company, not a bank, creditor or government agency, but an ALARM company would use mob tactics to strong-arm us into paying $400 a month AND put a lien on us for additional fees due to the loss of business, I would have run. Consider this a favor of what could happen with these thieves.

Gio
April 15th, 2019 Centereach, NY DETAILS

I can’t wait for this contract to be over. Their cameras are horrible. They weren’t placed in the right price to begin with so the views are terrible. The cameras are constantly filled with water when it rains, so you can’t see anything. You call for help and they are clueless. They charge to send someone out to fix a problem they caused. Will be getting ring as soon as I dump this company

Keith Russell
April 11th, 2019 Livingston, NJ DETAILS

The Slomins Shield System allows "Z-Wave Devices" to be added by the consumer but the devices then cannot be updated, modified or removed by the consumer unless Slomins sends out a technician for more than $80.00 an hour. That is completely wrong by allowing a person to install equipment when following the manufactures instructions for the device that was purchased, incurring no charge or fee and then charging to update, modify or remove the device. Slomins has set a proprietary password locking the consumer out of accessing the Z-Wave Hub for the keypad. all that is needed to update modify or delete the Z-Wave Device is the touch of one button. The Z-Wave Device Manufactures believe the consumer should have access to in order to modify the devices as it is stated in their installation instructions.

WT
March 18th, 2019 Huntington Station, NY DETAILS

No support provided for products Reposting my solicited request for review from Slomin's: Original review: No continued support of products unless customer pays for an ADDITIONAL service contract. Response: Reply from Slomin's Shield An hour ago WT, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. As per our records, this issue appears to have been resolved with our Customer Service department. Please re-rate us! Thank you! UPDATE: Although Slomins claims their records show the issue has been resolved, it has not. I initially called to have a technician fix my cameras. The technician who showed up two weeks later informed me he did not work on cameras, but instead had a work order to upgrade my alarm panel. Then I was charged $40 for the technician to upgrade my alarm radio because the previous model (which was installed little over a year ago) is obsolete. Slomins then tried to charge me an additional $80 for that service, which I did not even request. Now my cameras still do not work, and they will charge me AGAIN to send a technician unless I purchase an additional service plan. I was asked to amend my rating, but if I were able, the only change I would make is to give zero stars. Alas, this is not possible.

C.M.
November 7th, 2018 Baltimore, MD DETAILS

Slomin's customer service is horrible!!! A lot of them have bad attitudes and don't give accurate information. I called to inquire about cancelling my service on 10/23 and was told that someone from the cancellation department would call me because it was after their 8-4 business hours. I said ok and never got a call. I tried calling again a few days later during business hours and was told that they were busy and that someone would call me back. Ofcourse that didn't happen, so I called again a couple of days later and finally got somebody in the cancellation department who was a little short with me, and told me that after I received the cancellation form via email, I needed to fill it out , send it back and what ever day they get it back during their business hours, it would be canceled the same day. Well that didn't happen , and I was told by one of their customer service reps that cut me off about three times, that they just received it the day before, it's under review and it should be completed in 2-3 days. Through out the call he never even acknowledged the same day cancellation until after about 10 min later he finally acknowledged that he didn't know why I was told that there was a same day cancellation. What a waist of time. By the way, the things that got us to the point of cancellation is worse!!! I highly recommend staying away from Slomin's!!!👎👎👎

Gwendolyn English
June 25th, 2018 DETAILS

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY I have been a Solomains coustomer fo 19 years. my haome was rectlu vandalized. i call to get a price to have Cameras installed they quoted me a price of 400.00 for each camera wich is very over priced. the priced droped down to 300.00 for each camera. To get out of my 5yr contract which i was told was 2yrs will cost me 1,700.00. One would think that since i have been a Customer since 1999 I would have gotten a better offer . I FEEL RIPPED OFF BY THEM . THE CUSTOMER SERVICE / MANAGMENT TEAM HAS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS.

Patrick
March 2nd, 2018 Elmont, NY DETAILS

This is the worst alarm company. Disconnected my service without my knowledge while on auto payment. After two month s I thought my house was protected then I received a letter from a collection agency with a court date less then 15 days. When I called to inquiry that early termination, they didn't want to speak to me because it's pending court case and referred me to their attorney . I ended up paid over $2,173 for early termination and late fee. Please stay away from Slomins

Stephen Roesner
February 9th, 2018 Marcus Hook, PA DETAILS

So far they have been good - however i just had one of my sensors go bad on one of my doors and at first tghey said 2 weeks to fix then when I laughed at that they went down to 1 week to fix - so im unsecure at that door - unacceptable

Jonathon Novotny
December 21st, 2017 Hicksville, NY DETAILS

I had ADT for a couple of years and were terrible I found out they didn't even install my window alarms correctly and would have never worked if a break in happened. I have had Slomins for years now they have been great the techs know what their doing and the price is very reasonable. I highly recommend them. thank you JFN Long Island NY

Mark
October 24th, 2017 Bensalem, PA

I never made contacted with this company. They made an unauthorized inquiry to my credit.

DAVID B WILLIAMSON
September 20th, 2017 Bethlehem, PA

We purchased this system approx 10 years ago for fire and every time I look at the system the red light is on. I call them and it takes forever to schedule so we pay for a service we are not getting. SInce it is only for fire I do not look at the computer pad all the time and when I call they state that they do not know how long the service was not working. I kept paying and paying hoping they would fix it and I spoke to a manager and the manager told me someone would be out here at 3 at 4:30 no one was here I called and they said they should be there by 5. I told them to cancel everything. I work for a school with hundreds of cameras and security and do not have any problems- of course it is not slomins.

John Mancini
July 24th, 2017 Highland, NY

They claim free installation, lock you into a 5 year contract and charge higher monthly monitoring charges, they don't care about customers, only the bottom line and will not lower monthly monitoring charge until 5yr. commitment is over then, all of a sudden their monthly charge is lower. I left them immediately after 5 yrs. and will never do business with Slomin's again. Horrible customer service!!

Barry
June 16th, 2017 Teaneck, NJ

Have had Slomin's for 2 years and they are a great company! Easy to get a hold of, great customer service and the security system is great. We also use them for our oil and had an issue. They came out on a Sunday at 8pm and fixed the problem. I would recommend Slomin's to anyone!

Frederick Squires
May 11th, 2017 Shirley, NY

I've have had a few security systems of all types... The new wireless are by far the best. I have their basic system. No cameras. There were some glitches when first installed, which were fixed promptly. Monitoring service is top notch.

CAROLE
April 19th, 2017 Lanham, MD

"FREE" UPGRADE WAS DUE ON MY ALARM SO I UPGRADE AND BOUGHT SECURITY CAMERAS. THEY BILLED ME THOUSANDS FOR THE UPGRADE THAT WAS "FREE" AND HARASSED ME FOR MONTHS BY MAIL AND PHONE. AFTER MANY MONTHS THEY SAID OH YES IT IS FREE.....STRESS FOR NO REASON.. SECURITY CAMERAS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY #3000.PLUS AND THE RECORDING DEVICE NEVER WORKED (IT DID WHEN THEY INSTALLED IT) MY CAR WAS BROKEN INTO TWICE AND NO FOOTAGE,IT NEVER RECORDED. IT STILL DOES NOT RECORD I HAVE CONTACTED THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, THE CREDIT COMPANIES TO TELL THEM THAT I REFUSE TO PAY ANOTHER PENNY ON MY ALARM SYSTEM UNTIL IT IS A WORKING SYSTEM, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, THEY USE A SPOOF CARD TO CALL YOU FROM DIFFERENT NUMBERS ONE SERVICE PERSON WHO QUIT TOLD ME THE PEOPLE OUT OF NEW YORK DO THIS AND ANYTHING TO UPSET YOU. I HAD A HEART ATTACK AND CANCER-THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CONSUMER- MONEY IS ALL THEY CARE ABOUT.