Ring Logo

8.4

LAST UPDATED: February 5th, 2023

Invented by Jamie Siminoff and now owned by Amazon, Ring is a home security provider with the mission of reducing neighborhood. Ring invents products that give homeowners the ability to control their home security in the comfort of their home as well as outside of it when they are away. Ring includes various product options, including a home security system package, video doorbells, and security cameras.

The Good

• Low Monthly Fees
  • No Professional Installation Necessary
  • Customizable Add-ons
  • Mobile Apps

Low Monthly Fees

Ring has two Protect Plans to choose from and they both have low monthly fees. Having cheaper monthly fees makes Ring more affordable for homeowners. Plan coverage and pricing is as follows:

Protect Basic (Per Camera)

• Video recording

• Extended warranty
  • Exclusive discounts
  • $100 per year or $10 per month

No Professional Installation Necessary

You can install Ring’s security system on your own without professional help and without any tools. You simply choose where you would like the alarm to be and wall mount it with a quick-release bracket or you can choose to use it as a handheld and set it anywhere you’d like. This is the same for the other devices in the security system, such as the motion detector and the range extender.

Customizable Add-ons

Ring allows you to expand your security system with additional protection options to fit your specific security needs. Add-on options are as follows:

• Alarm Contact Sensor ($20)
  • Alarm Motion Detector ($30)
  • Alarm Keypad ($50)
  • Alarm Range Extender ($25)
  • First Alert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm ($40)
  • Alarm Flood & Freeze Senso ($35)
  • Alarm Smoke & CO Listener ($35)
  • Dome Siren ($30)

Mobile Apps

Ring’s app allows you to remotely access your home security system from anywhere at any time. Monitoring abilities through a smartphone, tablet, or PC allow you to see, hear, and speak to anyone on your property. If there is any motion detected at your house, you will be notified immediately by an alert through the app. You can also review your security footage through the app and share it with nearby Ring users, making it easy to alert your neighbors if there is suspicious activity nearby. The app works with each Ring device, including doorbells, cameras, and your main alarm system.

Ring also has a Neighbors by Ring app designed for neighborhood watch. Its purpose is to help communities stay connected by working together to report any suspicious or crime-related activity. The app enables crime updates from law enforcement as well as from the Ring team and other neighbors using the app.

The Bad

• Limited Sensors
  • Short Warranty

Limited Sensors

Ring’s security system package only comes with one contact sensor, a smaller number than most home security companies. However, you can add as many additional sensors as you would like for $20 each.

Short Warranty

The Ring security system only has a one-year warranty on its devices, whereas other home security companies offer longer warranties — sometimes even lifetime warranties. Make sure you trust Ring’s security system before purchasing because if it malfunctions after a year, you may have to pay full price for a replacement.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Ring seems to be a sensible choice for your home security needs. Its simplicity makes it easy for homeowners to install and manage their home security system from anywhere. Ring’s security app and Neighbors by Ring gives you additional resources to look over your house and your neighborhood through video sharing, 24/7 monitoring, and crime alerts. However, Ring’s security system bundle only has one sensor, so if you want additional ones, you have to purchase them separately. While this makes Ring’s coverage more customizable, it could be a concern for potential customers. Ring also has a brief one-year warranty for its security system. We suggest making sure Ring’s security devices are reliable before purchasing.

View Best Home Security Companies

jennifer thompson Prospect Park, PA

I absolutely love my ring, doorbell system, and home cameras. I am a single mother that works night shift and my kids are home by themselves because of my ring doorbell. I can feel secure that I can check in on my home while my teenagers are asleep and I am at work. I also have cameras inside of my home as well, although sometimes I may lose service for a brief minute or so I still very much enjoy the convenience of being able to check in on my home when I’m not there or to see if someone is at my door while I may be in the shower, or doing some thing that I cannot get to the door I live in a highly wooded area, which sometimes causes connectivity issues with my Wi-Fi about a month ago I bought a ring chime to add to my living room so that I can get a stronger signal through my Wi-Fi. I no longer have issues with connectivity. Although it can get pricey buying their systems piece by piece, I love the fact that I am not tied into a contract, and that the equipment is mine and can be used without ring services. I will most definitely buy more products to add to my home security system.

FriscoTXHomeowner Frisco, TX

We love our Ring doorbell. We have one up front and added one to the back. Super convenient with the app, and it's impressive how it works so well. Hopefully we don't need to use this system, but I'm confident it will work when we need it.

1 day ago

Johnny Sigmon Cumberland, MD

I love ring I love the way that you can use your phone and see who's at your door from a thousand miles away and talk to him and if you don't want someone there you can tell him to get away from your home I really love ring and would have nothing but rain for my security thanks ring.

Angel Morales Charlotte, NC

Very good and affordable way to keep your home and valuables safe and at a glance. Great customer service had to make a call once on a device that stopped working and they sent a new one no questions asked . There monitoring service is the cheapest of all by far and you can always monitor yourself as well. Plus the advantage of seeing who's at your door and answer from the convinience of where ever you are. Its a great company with really quality products that are always updating as well. I will always have them in my home and very well recommend to others for sure.

Sharifay Sharif Salt Lake City, UT

I love my ring doorbell before it I had 3 packages stolen off my porch value of $300. The door bell was easy to install and easy to use, love that I can see who’s at my front door while I am at work

Gumby Rowland Heights, CA

Ring has been a solid home security solution so far. I have not had any issues with the product. It has a good number of configuration features so I can program it to send me notifications when I want them and I can easily adjust the areas that I want to monitor. I would recommend this product to my friends.

Alex Indianapolis, IN

The hardware is abysmal. I regret buying it. Best I can say is that monitoring is cheap, and they've called right away on false alarms. I believe they're known for coming in under 30 seconds in auditing. You really can't beat the monthly cost, especially considering the cellular backup. It was cheap up-front, too. My kit is 2nd gen, bought in 2020. I feel like it is all there, just poorly executed. I wish the hardware could be repurposed. I should note here that this is the only monitored or retail security system I have ever owned. However, I have a lot of experience with networking, AV, computers, wireless, and employer security systems. I know this could be better. The most frustrating thing is that because it barely works, we rarely arm it! It continues to monitor smoke and CO alarms, and a laggy alarm is better than none. When I have contacted customer service or tech support, they have been great. -The app and web interface are terrible. Settings are buried in seemingly unrelated categories. -The doorbell still feels like a separate company from the rest of the security hardware. -Doorbell occasionally decides not to charge from the transformer. Factory reset and/or clean contacts. -LAG CITY. If you factory reset, you'll get snappy performance for a while. Then one day, someone will walk in and the bling-bling happens 30 seconds later. Opening the doorbell camera feed lags, then you get HD real-time. Workarounds exist (and work) but it is just a maintenance headache. There is nothing wrong with my LAN or Wi-Fi. My house is not gigantic. -LAG CITY II. Opening the doorbell remote video feed in the smartphone app often takes too long (tested vs. TeamViewer connection with identical phones). -This is a big one. No glass-break sensors (at least not since I last looked). They said to use an Echo device. Which leads me to: -It came with an Echo Show 5, which has the worst microphone in the Echo line. I hate this device, because everyone has to annoyedly repeat everything or shout. -Limited integration with other security device protocols. -Charging ports on the keypads are hard to get at without OEM cables. -Magnetic sensors that must be mounted with the battery section on the door (sliding doors especially) tend to fall off their mounts or at least show tampered. We use sticky-tack to keep them in place. Very attractive. I do hope that later-generation equipment has built on the failures outlined above, but from April 2020 to January 2023 I have become thoroughly soured on the brand. I am also becoming disillusioned about the supposed benefits of adding more corporate devices to our personal spaces, and the widespread access granted to government. This is a bell that can't be un-rung, pun intended.

Ellie Bradley Thousand Oaks, CA

Ring has great software - ready to use and clear imaging compared to others I've seen. We have been very pleased with how much more secure we feel with Ring on our properties.

Julian Ramos Atwater, CA

I like the products, the affordable prices are great, and the ability to connect with nearby neighbors is also excellent. My only concern is if the wifi goes out, you are defenseless. If they would come up with a backup security system that could connect via Cell signal for emergencies. I feel safer if the power went out after someone cut power to rob my house as an extreme example, but it does happen.

Jason McDonald Columbus, IN

I'm a huge Ring fan, especially coming from Vivint or Monitronix before them. I did, however, have to install all my own gear, but considering how intuitive everything is to install or how easy the installation instructions make the process, it's a small price to pay. Customer service is friendly, top notch, and knows their stuff. Products are great quality, and the monitoring services are cheap.

Samantha Davidson Leechburg, PA

Bought 2 ring floodlight cameras. Both started strobing within a year. Called ring customer service and they said they replace them and they never did! What a shananigan! Just Google " ring floodlight cameras strobing/flashing" and you will see how many people bought this junk!

Mark Reep Paris, TX

The Ring cameras are a relatively inexpensive way to help secure your property. They are easily installed and there are no monthly payments to make.

Jason Atlanta, GA

My roommate and I used a ring camera in college and really liked it. We never had something happen where we were glad we had it but it did provide a sense of security that is nice and wasn't too expensive.

Allyx Hilterbran Blanchard, OK

This thing does have all the bells and whistles! However, I don’t like that the local police can tap into anyone’s ring camera through the company. Just ask me. I’ll give you the porch bandit’s footage if needed. It just seems a little underhanded, but I am also sympathetic to police. *shrugs*

Terry D West Chester, PA

Love my Ring security door bell , it notifies me me anytime someone approaches my doorway , can actually talk to person from my phone when not at home , Clear pictures are also so helpful, Recommend this to all .

Monet Wilson Stone Mountain, GA

Good service the ring will most definitely let you know what going on when your not home

Faith L Kalamazoo, MI

I liked it when I first got it because the fee for getting your videos saved was much less than it is now. It’s okay for what it is, but I may look into another company.

Ruby Williams Oklahoma City, OK

I been had a ring doorbell for 6 years and still working great 👍 working with Alexa and getting ready to purchase rings cameras

Gail Kessler Forest, VA

This has been the best new product for our household in years. Porch pirates beware! We have already been involved in two incidents and the sirens worked both times. I feel so much safer!

Nicky Martin Pontotoc, MS

Ring has been a wonderful experience so far, it has so many uses that can be utilized at work, home or even out of town. We purchased the Ring system due to unsavory people in our neighborhood and it just made us all feel a bit safer. My daughter works from our home so she's alone at night and when I'm away or working I feel more relaxed knowing the Ring is active.

MJ Cleveland, OH

Great purchase! I feel safer since installing the cameras. Video quality is excellent. Great customer service and easy to use app.

Andrew Lundholm Palatine, IL

I purchased many parts of the RING system. Unfortunatelya wired spotlight camera was defective. I waited 2 weeks for a white camera, out of stock was all I hear. I have been waiting over 1 week for a black camera, again told today out of stock. XMAS is next month, these are on amazon. I simply do not get it. So, here I am. Don't buy these unless you have the patience of a clergyman. Don't!!

Melody Rowe Fayetteville, NC

I love my ring security system and love how they keep up with the latest technology. The only thing that concerns me is sharing of my information. Other then that they seem to be the number 1 company is security of home and business out there. Very top notch.

Precious H. DeSoto, TX

I have had Ring for 6 years. It is very easy to install and monitor. You can sync it with your TV and phone. I love being able to talk through the speaker when I am away. Ring can be taken with you wherever you go. This is a good investment for homeowners

marissa wheeler Burlington, VT

Ring has been a wonderful company to work with, there service has been great, reliable, convenient and cost affective for my family and I. Not only has it been great for security reason but has also been a great help at letting us know if we have missed someone while we weren't home that has stopped by.

Katie Marshall New York, NY

I just really enjoy Ring it keeps me updated with, all my community activities including wild animals on my property, can see what my neighbors are experiencing too. The feature I like best is you can share the Ring with your family or tenants. It's very affordable and easy to install, reliable, I've had the Ring for 5yrs. Only had 1 issue with the wiring with had someone fix it. It's very affordable if you need help installing your local handyman can assist. Another feature is rainy, cold weather does not interrupt service.

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

Used them for about 2 years now and still going strong. I shopped with several local and large company and this was the most cost effective to have a good security system, cameras, night vision, 2 way audio, motion sensors + records, customizable, etc... Other than changing batteries once a year (or less if an area is not used often) this is a very low maintenance system. This is an Amazon company, so to get best deal buy during Prime Day or Black Friday. Initial set up took a bit but well worth it!

Lewis Larson Milton, FL

I installed Ring several years ago at my remote farm. I also had FrontPoint. Frontpoint will call the cops if break in occurs, Ring shows me who it at my doors. I can talk to someone who rings the doorbell, but the delay is ten seconds or more, and I rely on the video most of the time. I like Front Point (expensive) and Ring(cheap). Last year I installed Ring at my son's home, and a second Ring video and light in his carport and a third at his back door. It costs $100 a year to have all three cameras recording whenever someone comes near the house. My son recently had someone break a window and we recorded the person in the act and later sent the video by iphone to the police. I like Ring because I can put the cameras anywhere. The rechargeable batteries last three weeks in the back where the light comes on a lot. The front doorbell battery lasts 3-4 months before I need to recharge it. I love Ring because it works on my iphone.

Doc B Decatur, GA

I integrated Ring cameras to an existing monitored security system with another company. When 5G technology made my security system obsolete I decided to consider the Ring home security. Already had the cameras so I merely installed the Ring security system and customized it to give me coverage throughout my home and was not limited like most professionally installed systems to a preconfigured design. Installation was easy and I took my time and completed everything in two days. The system was fully operational and has been worked perfectly for 6 months now. My monitoring fee is $100 annually and I save $550 each year in fees compared to my former company’s rates. I am pleased and I personally manage as well as maintain my own system through the Ring app on all my devices.

Rich H. Carmel, NY

I had a ring doorbell for over 5 years, and more recently installed a ring motion security camera. Both have worked flawlessly, although the settings can be a bit confusing.

Alicia Johnson Louisville, KY

Ring is so convenient. I am currently using the #3 video model. The video and sound quality are excellent. The recording are are easily accessible and downloaded.

Kelsey Mclean Knoxville, TN

Our home Ring Alarm is amazing. The app will video record every single time someone is near your door and send a video to your phone. Easily turn on your alarm through the app if you forget or turn it off before you walk in.

Liz Littleton, CO

I love how user friendly Ring is! I can control everything from my phone and get alerts when there is ever an issue. The customer service is really on point and I feel like our home is protected.

Monique Snow Sterling, CT

I absolutely love that with Ring you always know what's going on outside your front door. I have complete trust and confidence in this company. Having ring makes me feel very safe.

J Allen Pensacola, FL

Easy for an amateur tech to install. Set up is easy as well. Good video, good audio. Alarm works very well. In my humble opinion, great for condo, apartment, townhomes etc. Very good value.

b. ellena Kansas City, MO

I was nervous about installation. However, it was so easy for me to wire, and also to set up my ring doorbell account. I am extremely pleased with the service and even more thrilled by the low cost!

Abby Smith Dothan, AL

Ring security cameras have been a godsend! I’ll never go back to any other security system. The cameras never glitch, the app is easy to use unlike others, and customer service is wonderful

Annie Naperville, IL

I used to have this at the last home I lived in when married. Easy to use. I like the adjustments you can make per its sensitivity to movement. Picks up sound well. Definitely felt secure and protected.

Rebecca Robinson Murfreesboro, TN

I felt 100% percent better after having the ring peephole installed. Before if I heard a noise I was concerned. Now I hardly give it a second thought and if I do, I just look at my app. The price of monitoring my ring peephole at this time is an only $3 a month. Unbelievable to me.

Dan Wandell Murfreesboro, TN

Generally speaking, I like the Ring product's quality and functionality. However, I do not like the monthly video storage cost. Some competitors offer limited free storage, which I think is appropriate for this type of product. I purchased the doorbell and a camera. After the free trial, I decided to sell the system and go with a competitor. If you do not mind the monthly charge, the Ring system is definitely a good system. It just isn't for me.

Lisa Anne Littleton, CO

Absolutely love my ring! I always know what’s going on at my house and can even answer the door from my couch. My only complaint is the battery life could be longer, but charging them is quick. I don’t know what I would do without my ring cameras.

Adair Dance Academy Omaha, NE

We have had Ring for several years now and like the service very much. An added bonus is our home insurance company gives a discount for having it and the discount essentially paid for the ring service. I like having the ability to see what is happening by my home any time,, from anywhere.

William Rosengrant Red Lion, PA

Started with SWANN security cameras but switched to RING cameras and I like them much better. The RING cameras are very easy to set up and the software to use them is very good. Video quality is great and they are reasonably priced.

Michelle Crane Phoenix, AZ

I absolutely love the ring security systems especially the video doorbell. I feel so much safer knowing that if someone comes to my door it will be video taped. I like the sound of the ring and it looks very elegant and modern. All of their products are very well priced.

Tammy Bright Lexington, KY

I connected a Ring Wireless Doorbell Camera and Chime at my elderly mom’s house for her security. I love being able to see what is going on around her home and neighborhood. The neighbor feature is very helpful to monitor possible dangers around her. It was very easy to install.

Tamie Johnson Markham, IL

I got my Ring doorbell camera for Christmas and I love that it notifies me when someone is at my door and I can talk to them through my phone and see who it is or if someone is trespassing on my property. I don’t like that I have to charge it in the house.

James Shirely Seattle, WA

Ever since I got my Ring camera I've felt so much safer in my apartment. It's been great at keeping would be package thieves away. It's also great knowing who's knocking on my door without having to open it first. I would recommend this to everyone.

Courtney Martin Tullahoma, TN

I use a Ring doorbell/security camera to keep watch in my front yard considering I live right next to a middle school and let’s just say… kids don’t always respect other peoples’ property. I live in a shared duplex so my doorbell makes it more convenient to tell if someone is at my door or my neighbors!

Michael Tavalese Schwenksville, PA

The Ring Security System was easy to set up, it also gives u piece of mind while away from ur home. I had the whole System set up in a matter of minutes. Its as easy as one, two, three. The monthly cost to have professional monitoring is also very low to have that peace of mind while away. The System is easy to operate, its very self explanatory and doesn't take a lot of know how to operate. They offer a lot of addons for u to custom build the system to ur likings. I would definitely recommend to all my friends and relatives.

Cheryl Stone Phoenix, AZ

I've only ever used ring for my outdoor cameras. Great quality for the money.