Ring Logo

8.3

LAST UPDATED: August 4th, 2022

Invented by Jamie Siminoff and now owned by Amazon, Ring is a home security provider with the mission of reducing neighborhood. Ring invents products that give homeowners the ability to control their home security in the comfort of their home as well as outside of it when they are away. Ring includes various product options, including a home security system package, video doorbells, and security cameras.

The Good

• Low Monthly Fees
  • No Professional Installation Necessary
  • Customizable Add-ons
  • Mobile Apps

Low Monthly Fees

Ring has two Protect Plans to choose from and they both have low monthly fees. Having cheaper monthly fees makes Ring more affordable for homeowners. Plan coverage and pricing is as follows:

Protect Basic (Per Camera)

• Video recording

• Extended warranty
  • Exclusive discounts
  • $100 per year or $10 per month

No Professional Installation Necessary

You can install Ring’s security system on your own without professional help and without any tools. You simply choose where you would like the alarm to be and wall mount it with a quick-release bracket or you can choose to use it as a handheld and set it anywhere you’d like. This is the same for the other devices in the security system, such as the motion detector and the range extender.

Customizable Add-ons

Ring allows you to expand your security system with additional protection options to fit your specific security needs. Add-on options are as follows:

• Alarm Contact Sensor ($20)
  • Alarm Motion Detector ($30)
  • Alarm Keypad ($50)
  • Alarm Range Extender ($25)
  • First Alert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm ($40)
  • Alarm Flood & Freeze Senso ($35)
  • Alarm Smoke & CO Listener ($35)
  • Dome Siren ($30)

Mobile Apps

Ring’s app allows you to remotely access your home security system from anywhere at any time. Monitoring abilities through a smartphone, tablet, or PC allow you to see, hear, and speak to anyone on your property. If there is any motion detected at your house, you will be notified immediately by an alert through the app. You can also review your security footage through the app and share it with nearby Ring users, making it easy to alert your neighbors if there is suspicious activity nearby. The app works with each Ring device, including doorbells, cameras, and your main alarm system.

Ring also has a Neighbors by Ring app designed for neighborhood watch. Its purpose is to help communities stay connected by working together to report any suspicious or crime-related activity. The app enables crime updates from law enforcement as well as from the Ring team and other neighbors using the app.

The Bad

• Limited Sensors
  • Short Warranty

Limited Sensors

Ring’s security system package only comes with one contact sensor, a smaller number than most home security companies. However, you can add as many additional sensors as you would like for $20 each.

Short Warranty

The Ring security system only has a one-year warranty on its devices, whereas other home security companies offer longer warranties — sometimes even lifetime warranties. Make sure you trust Ring’s security system before purchasing because if it malfunctions after a year, you may have to pay full price for a replacement.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Ring seems to be a sensible choice for your home security needs. Its simplicity makes it easy for homeowners to install and manage their home security system from anywhere. Ring’s security app and Neighbors by Ring gives you additional resources to look over your house and your neighborhood through video sharing, 24/7 monitoring, and crime alerts. However, Ring’s security system bundle only has one sensor, so if you want additional ones, you have to purchase them separately. While this makes Ring’s coverage more customizable, it could be a concern for potential customers. Ring also has a brief one-year warranty for its security system. We suggest making sure Ring’s security devices are reliable before purchasing.

View Best Home Security Companies

Dan Wandell Murfreesboro, TN

Generally speaking, I like the Ring product's quality and functionality. However, I do not like the monthly video storage cost. Some competitors offer limited free storage, which I think is appropriate for this type of product. I purchased the doorbell and a camera. After the free trial, I decided to sell the system and go with a competitor. If you do not mind the monthly charge, the Ring system is definitely a good system. It just isn't for me.

World Traveler Ashburn, VA

Out of all the security companies I tried, this one is much better, not the best but the customer service is great. I also love that they don't loop you in a contract and can cancel anytime. I didn't feel the need to cancel because the service is great. They can improve the products though like the cameras.

thomas Lovin Duluth, GA

The sharktank pitch of the century. This is what made video doorbells a thing. I feel safe knowing who is at my apartment when I am not there and having video surveillance and alarm systems.

David Steelman New Orleans, LA

Extremely helpful in deterring,or avoiding altogether “Porch Pirates “ It’s a blessing to no longer have to wonder if my packages will be there when I get home from work… The peace of my nd far outweighs the cost!

Katie Marshall New York, NY

I just really enjoy Ring it keeps me updated with, all my community activities including wild animals on my property, can see what my neighbors are experiencing too. The feature I like best is you can share the Ring with your family or tenants. It's very affordable and easy to install, reliable, I've had the Ring for 5yrs. Only had 1 issue with the wiring with had someone fix it. It's very affordable if you need help installing your local handyman can assist. Another feature is rainy, cold weather does not interrupt service.

zugey muniz Orlando, FL

Great security services, great prices and quality, lots of features that help everyone I am very pleased with the security they bring into my home. recommended

LA Littleton, CO

Absolutely love my ring! I always know what’s going on at my house and can even answer the door from my couch. My only complaint is the battery life could be longer, but charging them is quick. I don’t know what I would do without my ring cameras.

Adair Dance Academy Omaha, NE

We have had Ring for several years now and like the service very much. An added bonus is our home insurance company gives a discount for having it and the discount essentially paid for the ring service. I like having the ability to see what is happening by my home any time,, from anywhere.

William Rosengrant Red Lion, PA

Started with SWANN security cameras but switched to RING cameras and I like them much better. The RING cameras are very easy to set up and the software to use them is very good. Video quality is great and they are reasonably priced.

jamee emens Scottsdale, AZ

Ring is a great addition to our alarm system. I like that I can talk to someone at my front door without being home.

Doc B Decatur, GA

I integrated Ring cameras to an existing monitored security system with another company. When 5G technology made my security system obsolete I decided to consider the Ring home security. Already had the cameras so I merely installed the Ring security system and customized it to give me coverage throughout my home and was not limited like most professionally installed systems to a preconfigured design. Installation was easy and I took my time and completed everything in two days. The system was fully operational and has been worked perfectly for 6 months now. My monitoring fee is $100 annually and I save $550 each year in fees compared to my former company’s rates. I am pleased and I personally manage as well as maintain my own system through the Ring app on all my devices.

Kelsey Mclean Knoxville, TN

Our home Ring Alarm is amazing. The app will video record every single time someone is near your door and send a video to your phone. Easily turn on your alarm through the app if you forget or turn it off before you walk in.

Sho Guru Clive, IA

I like the ease of use of the ring device. It was easy to set up and being able to control it from my phone is great. I don't like that very shortly after I signed up, some of the features that made me choose ring changed to a higher priced subscription. Knowing that, if I had to choose, I wouldn't go with Ring but one of their competitors.

KW Phoenix, AZ

I was not impressed with the Ring cameras I purchased. One solar camera wouldn't stay charged, the other wouldn't charge at all - even though they were in full sun all day long. The one camera never captured movement even when we walked right by it. The subscription service was too expensive for no more than we got from it. I must admit, though, that Ring's customer service was very helpful and facilitated the return of my cameras. They refunded our money very quickly for both the cameras and the service.

Harvey Scott Dallas, TX

What I like most about the company is the sense of security with Ring. It's easy to operate and the devices work great. The equipment comes at a reasonable cost and provides great value.

Michelle Crane Phoenix, AZ

I absolutely love the ring security systems especially the video doorbell. I feel so much safer knowing that if someone comes to my door it will be video taped. I like the sound of the ring and it looks very elegant and modern. All of their products are very well priced.

Tammy Bright Lexington, KY

I connected a Ring Wireless Doorbell Camera and Chime at my elderly mom’s house for her security. I love being able to see what is going on around her home and neighborhood. The neighbor feature is very helpful to monitor possible dangers around her. It was very easy to install.

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

Used them for about 2 years now and still going strong. I shopped with several local and large company and this was the most cost effective to have a good security system, cameras, night vision, 2 way audio, motion sensors + records, customizable, etc... Other than changing batteries once a year (or less if an area is not used often) this is a very low maintenance system. This is an Amazon company, so to get best deal buy during Prime Day or Black Friday. Initial set up took a bit but well worth it!

Mary Kate F Greer, SC

Ring is hands down the most affordable yet reliable home security companies out there! Apart from the initial product fee (199+) to buy Ring, you will spend 0$ (!) a month to protect and watch over your home for the starter kit! That’s free home security forever for as little as 200$. There are options for professional home monitoring as well, yet the Ring starter kit is easy to install as a doorbell camera and other outside cameras that detect motion, then pinging your phone to alert you to someone’s presence near your house. The only perceivable downside to Ring’s alerts on your phone for me are that 1) Ring is very reliable but can detect motion for animals and cats even if they are just driving by, and 2) Ring alerts you thru notifications (and loud alerts if you have them turned on) seemingly every few seconds… wish there was a way to specify what type of motion you want to be notified for. Other than that, very pleased with Ring and would definitely recommend!!

scotty Inver Grove Heights, MN

I really like the ring the ease of installment the ease of using it how it syncs up with pretty much all electronical devices these days and the thing I like the most is the quality of the affordable camera and the powerful microphone it has on it I can hear it across the street my neighbor's talking with the microphone it's pretty awesome and has the longest reach if of all the cameras.

Christopher M Harper Katy, TX

The Ring system is easy to install and provides the capability to build the level of security that you like in stages. I removed a prior wired system, but used the existing wires to provide power to ring key pad. That was the preferred solution to installing an unsightly plug. Once installed I enjoy the ability to remotely check on the system and since this is tied into a Ring doorbell the security system is seamless.

Terri Bullhead City, AZ

I love the features of being able to turn security off & on by phone. You can set a verbal announcement "Hi, you are now being recorded" which is a double safety feature. You can turn on lights & siren by phone. You can get emergency help. This ring security system is very easy to install & mostly understand. Customer service rocks! I love my Ring Security System

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

Ring is so easy to use and easy to install.. So far, I have no complaints about it at all! Will continue to use and recommend to family and friends.

Bess Wilfong St Louis, MO

Ring has an inexpensive, user-friendly, effective product that has proven to be reliable. The only issue is determining how to use the settings so that you're notified when the slightest motion takes place, including birds and even insects.

Victoria Mcculler Jacksonville, FL

This is by far the best security option in my opinion! It’s the most affordable in the market and so many options for systems and recording options! I love how many products they have available!

Tamie Johnson Markham, IL

I got my Ring doorbell camera for Christmas and I love that it notifies me when someone is at my door and I can talk to them through my phone and see who it is or if someone is trespassing on my property. I don’t like that I have to charge it in the house.

James Shirely Seattle, WA

Ever since I got my Ring camera I've felt so much safer in my apartment. It's been great at keeping would be package thieves away. It's also great knowing who's knocking on my door without having to open it first. I would recommend this to everyone.

Courtney Martin Tullahoma, TN

I use a Ring doorbell/security camera to keep watch in my front yard considering I live right next to a middle school and let’s just say… kids don’t always respect other peoples’ property. I live in a shared duplex so my doorbell makes it more convenient to tell if someone is at my door or my neighbors!

Brittany Clark Athol, ID

Ring cameras are great!!! Easy to install. Great quality picture. Great angles. The only downfall is the monthly subscription fees for cloud recording. Other cameras allow for micro SD cards so you can avoid the monthly fees. Otherwise, highly recommend them!

Michelle Arcadia, OK

Ring security allows me to see who is at my house or business even when I'm not there. I love that I can use an app on my phone to see everything 24/7. I even get message alerts if my camera has gone off. I highly recommend Ring for your security needs.

Christina Sutu-Wallar San Francisco, CA

I have been using ring‘s service and products since 2018. I like that I can monitor things from my cell phone, anywhere I am. I like that I get notifications with just simple movements in my driveway. I enjoy the aspect of my home is being secure, and I’m able to monitor it on the go!

Jlbflatx New Braunfels, TX

Purchased and wired installed by family. Love the being able to view and speak to anyone entering our porch. It also connected to Alexa so get instant announcements. We don’t have all the bells and whistles but mid level Ring. It’s affordable and gives added security. Picture quality is good.

Ka Bian Gaithersburg, MD

We have been using Ring for several years. This is a very easy system with a cellular APP that can monitor the activity both outdoor and indoors. We even can talk with the person in front of our door at a great distance. Very nice designed and easy to operate.

Teddy P Queens, NY

I like the ring, it gives me added security The only complaint I have is it notify me a lot and this drains my cell phone.

Warren Long Beach, CA

One of my cameras failed after 1.5 years of use. RING said out of warranty gave me a 35% discount and told me to purchase a new one. In other words..more money for them. I have 2 other cameras working fine longer than 3 years. One is 7 years old. I told them faulty camera should be replaced for free. 3rd generation camera. They basically said to bad so sad. They dont stand by their product. Dont buy this product. For a loyal customer this is what it is now a days.

Nxx Wang Mount Sinai, NY

Setup is super easy for Ring doorbell. a bit pricy. People share videos in the community to mind people about the security situations around.

Melissa Mercado San Antonio, TX

Ring is fantastic. I love the phone app and the ability to talk to someone at my door in addition to capturing movement. It is an added layer of protection.

Crystal-lee Nunez Queens, NY

I like that it is easy to sync my camera to my cellphone and all my modern devices. I love that even when am not home I can check on my home. Which makes me feel safe

Savannah PavoReal Richmond, CA

Amazing company great customer service. I highly recommend Ring for your home security I’ve never had trouble With my equipment or with their customer service. Highly recommend it

Autumn Lewiston, ID

When shopping for home security I really liked Ring because of the low cost, availability to purchase from virtually anywhere, and large camera selection. I still have not made a choice for home security but Ring is on my list for those reasons.

Brenda Anderson Waxahachie, TX

I have one ring video door bell camera and it does the job in a great way. ADT recommended I use Ring as a 3rd party camera. It works well and now I know who’s at the door and by my car anytime. I love it.

Paula Barber Melbourne, FL

We were away from our house for a birthday party & our ring alarm went off. We watched a naked man run up to our front door & rang the doorbell which got our dogs barking. He ran off rather quickly.

Walter Brawner Oak Park, IL

Had a situation where someone was trying to gain entry into my home and while they were TRYING, I was calling....THE POLICE... THEY were arrested and my house remains Safe and Secure thanks to RING

L Turner Avon, IN

Current ring customer. I have the Flood light over my Driveway. It was simple to install and setup. The app connects me flawlessly. Monthly service has a resonable cost and monitoring is great.

Bx Chick Yonkers, NY

I have had the ring system for almost 2 years. It was easy to setup and remains to be a most reliable system. I feel confident that my home is protected while I am away. I highly recommend this system.

Noa Ranoa San Diego, CA

I got ring a few years ago to watch my pug. It turns out I watched a roommate take my gear. I mounted the ring detector next to a speaker, I will always have and use ring! The app is clean and crisp.

Lena munn Elmira, NY

I like the rings simply because it has the camera that you can look at from your phone wherever you are. It glitches all of the time though, and my daughters camera in her room has been hacked before. An example of a glitch being I will walk outside and 20 minutes later my notification for movement on my phone will go off. The camera also turns red sometimes. Honestly for the price It could work a lot better.

Jamaal Taylor Ypsilanti, MI

This service is amazing you have all access view of the house and they very helpful

April Simpson Fayetteville, NC

We have both Ring and ADT. Both are easy to use and I love how you can connect the products to your cell phone

North Florida Wildliife Center Madison, FL

The ring system is easy and convenient for users. I like the add on options with solar panels and lighting for out outdoor cameras. Love being able to monitor my home from the app when I'm away for vacation or work.