Alder

6.8

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2022

Alder provides a broad line of home security systems with 24/7 professional monitoring and mobile control. Coupled with industry-leading emergency response times, Alder offers professional installation or a proprietary do-it-yourself installation option and ships the alarm systems directly to the customer's home.

The do-it-yourself setup is simple and takes about 15 minutes to complete. Alder home security starts at $34.99 per month and requires a three-year contract.

Read the following Alder home security review below to see what the alarm company has to offer (e.g. equipment and policy details), as well as determine what customers have to say about the security provider.

The Good

• Alder Home Security Cost
  • Mobile Remote System Access and Cellular Service
  • Fire and Carbon Monoxide Warning
  • Amazon Echo Compatibility
  • Medical Alert Monitoring Services
  • Industry Leading Response Time
  • No Credit Required
  • Full Equipment and Lifetime Warranty

Alder Home Security Cost

An Alder home security system starts at $34.99 for monthly monitoring with no upfront fees and a three-year contract. Over the course of the 36-month contract, you'll pay close to $1,300. Alder customers also have a DIY installation option.

Alder has a price-lock guarantee, so you can have peace of mind that your plan cost will not increase over time. Alder's home security costs are on the lower end of security pricing, as many companies charge upwards of $40-$50 per month with extra installation and equipment fees.

Mobile Remote System Access and Cellular Service

Alder Security includes the industry-standard 24/7 professional monitoring along with the added function of mobile remote system access through a web-enabled device. Alder Security also provides video surveillance for your doorbell as well as indoor and outdoor cameras for customers to monitor and record home activity from any remote location.

Camera angles can be adjusted directly from the customer's mobile device for clearer views. Customers can also remote arm the system and lock doors directly from their mobile device and receive real-time text and email notifications when alarms are triggered.

Each Alder system also offers cellular service with no phone line required.

Fire and Carbon Monoxide Warning

Alder Security's fire, smoke alarm, and carbon monoxide detectors instantly warn customers of environmental threats and trigger a response from local emergency personnel.

Amazon Echo Compatibility

Alder systems are fully compatible with cutting-edge technology such as Amazon Echo. These devices enable customers to use voice commands to control home security features.

Medical Alert Monitoring Services

Alder Security offers portable medical pendants that can be pressed to access emergency help anytime, which is less common among home security companies. This makes the systems especially appealing if the owners are in their senior years and may occasionally need emergency medical assistance.

Industry Leading Response Time

Alder Security has one of the quickest response times in the industry. Some home security companies can take up to 30 seconds to respond to an emergency signal, but each Alder alarm system can potentially respond in less than three. That's ten times as quick.

No Credit Required

Unlike some other home security providers, Alder does not require you to have a certain credit score to gain access to its services. You may purchase an Alder security system with or without credit.

Full Equipment and Lifetime Warranty

Alder home security systems have all the bells and whistles you should need for a full-protected home. Equipment includes:

• Touchscreen control panel
  • Glass break sensor
  • Smart door lock
  • Smart smoke detector
  • Fire alarm

Alder also provides a lifetime warranty for its products.

The Bad

• Alder Home Security Reviews
  • Home Automation Limitations
  • Limited Pricing Information Online
  • Cellular Monitoring Only

Alder Home Security Reviews

Although not overwhelmingly negative, Alder home security reviews include a large number of low-star ratings, making its overall star-rating subpar. The majority of dissatisfied consumer reviews highlight a difficult cancellation process, cancellation fees, and deceiving contract lengths.

Home Automation Limitations

Home automation services with Alder Security are limited when compared to similar industry offerings. Customers do not have the option for garage door access or small appliance control devices.

Existing home automation equipment includes smart locks, security cameras, thermostat control, lighting control, and mobile app alerts. However, these features (including the Alder app) likely cost extra for homeowners, but the amount isn't specified on the company's website.

Limited Pricing Information Online

Alder does not list its pricing information on its website. This makes it difficult for customers to quickly compare Alder's pricing to other home security providers. The website encourages you to call an Alder representative to get a personalized quote.

Cellular Monitoring Only

Alder home security only offers cellular monitoring, neglecting wireless/broadband and landline monitoring equipment. This may be limiting to homeowners who prefer wireless/broadband or landline monitoring options over cellular.

The Bottom Line

Alder provides a broad line of home security solutions with 24/7 professional monitoring and remote system access from a mobile app. Alder's response time of three seconds also puts the company above the competition. The company's wireless cellular systems are compatible with Amazon Echo devices.

Alder's home security system and video monitoring have affordable pricing and provides a price-lock guarantee. Alder doesn't offer wireless/broadband or landline monitoring options. Instead, the security company only offers cellular monitoring, which is somewhat rare in the home security industry and may limit homeowners' options.

Customers should be aware that they must sign a three-year contract with Alder before receiving their alarm monitoring services, and customer reviews highlight a difficult and costly cancellation process. Alder's website does not list specific pricing on its website, so you'll need to contact the company for cost information. You can request a quote from the company by clicking any of the links to Alder in this review.

We suggest reading Adler's reviews below before making your final purchasing decision.

View Best Home Security Companies

2.7

Jasmine Bunn Upper Darby, PA

Because when this system was advertised to me I was told I would rd over a door camera and never did . When I call back to ask the rep told me that wasn't included in my pricing that was one of main reasons why I even wanted the alarm system because I receive a lot of packages

Tiffanie Vargas San Antonio, TX

My security system stopped working not even a week after activating it. I have addressed the problem as soon as the panel stopped working. Costumer service requested a new panel to be delivered to me. It has been over a month and i STILL have no received a new panel. Although the employee who initial registered me was helpful at first, this situation has prolonged for OVER a month and I still nothing. In addition, i have been charged for multiple months (yet qualified for 2nd month for FREE) even though I am not even able to use what I'm paying for. I've contacted costumer service multiple times, and i don't feel like my situation is taken seriously or anything has been done to resolve this issue except being told "we've sent a request to the supervisor". But still no updates on why there is a delay.

Jonathan Callaway, VA

I'm very very satisfied overall with the experience. Everything has been working for the last six months. It's very easy to use. Customer service has been very helpful. It was a good fit for what I needed.

Sandra Hopkins Ellinwood, KS

On 9/15/22 my back door was opened and 1 minute later the alarm activated. I was across the country and pulled up my camera system to make sure kids had turned lights off and heard my alarm sounding. It had been going off for over 4 minutes. I disarmed it from my app and checked cameras. I was not contacted nor was law enforcement. I have made 3 phone calls totaling nearly 2 hours with customer service and tech support. I have been told it's a faulty door sensor, faulty control panel, poor internet connection, and my kids' error in setting the alarm. I never complained about the equipment, my only question to them was why my alarm went off for over 4 minutes and no one was notified. They stated it has to sound for 5-10 minutes before anyone is called. Seriously?!? My alarm was activated in the past due and I know for fact that I was called within 2 minutes and law enforcement was called immediately after when I was unable to be reached. Do they realize the amount of damage/harm an intruder can do in 5-10 minutes? This is completely unacceptable. They offered little apology and no resolution to this problem. I used to feel safer with an alarm system but Alder and their lack of concern and blame game has definitely changed my mind.

Asziah Norwalk, OH

The camera that I received stopped working immediately. Since I didn't even call for security and certainly don't have the money to waste, I asked for service to be cancelled. After receiving a message from my bank about suspicious activity I began "spamming" alder with cancelation emails. They waited to get back to me before different people started to respond. They wouldn't cancel then wanted to tell me I had a five year contract. How I could give someone else my rip-off account or "cancel" but still pay for five years of service that I can't utilize

Mable Elliott-jackson

I rate Alder as "1" because I received equipment promptly but was unable b to install on my own even with the headaches of foreign speaking technical phone instruction. My recommendation is in home installation is greatly required. Sensors did not stick to surface properly. Monitor did not recognize some equipment. Monitor beeped regularly without my control. Requested home installation support that never happrn

Melissa Ventura, CA

It works really good, when the alarm goes off I get a call right away to let me know what's going on, so that's nice. I'm just having some trouble with one of the sensors.

Manjit Charlotte, NC

They are friendly and the system is working the way it is expected. Everything was working properly after installation, but then I needed something to be replaced and I couldn't get a hold of anyone. They could improve customer support.

Constance Ayers

1. The day of installation the tech left before completing the job, 2. I was on the phone 2 hrs trying to install myself with the technical department,3 I still can't get the carmera to connect to my phone

Ernest Snear Lake Charles, LA

It's been very nice having elder around I,m able to rest better at night and feel more comfortable when I leave home thanks for the comfort

Alexis King Riverview, FL

Alarm randomly goes off and the police were sent to my house. The online app is usually delayed when trying to set my alarm. But other than that I like the system

Latoya Grayer Baton Rouge, LA

Alarms system something always wrong for no reason my back door sensor just started back working after a week paid $100 for outside camera that doesn't work and wasn't aware I needed a permit for the police

Nikita Allen Indianapolis, IN

I've been quoted for merchandise that I was told I could get it for free and I could go back and order it later but when I do that it's a different story now that I want it but was told I could get it at anytime but I just don't appreciate be lied to

Misty McClanahan Angola, IN

I have had the system for over a month and still can't get it to connect to a cell tower. I tried calling customer service several times but no one can seem to help. They said they were going to send a new SIM card and I still haven't received it or any tracking information on it! I messaged Austin several times about the tracking information and today he told me to STOP messaging him! This company is a SCAM!!!

Frankie Williams

The gentleman was at our house for the longest time to make sure that everything was set up correctly, and he was nice the entire time. He explained everything to us the entire way through. The numbers are much bigger with Alder, and the voices for when the door is opening isn't so loud. I definitely like the flow of Alder more than the other company I've used, and I'm glad I made the switch.

Reply from Alder

Frankie, thanks so much for your thoughts and feedback! Glad you chose Alder!

Jul. 3rd, 2018

Sarah Anderson

The camera doesn't work. Goes on and off when it wants. The control panel is super annoying. Would be nice if you could shut the sound off when you're home. And my email gets blown up all day long with alerts.

Doug Furrer Katy, TX

The system is still down and not working since October 2021. Monitoring system does not connect to tower therefore there is no monitoring. Panels have been replaced chips have been ordered reprogramming multiple times and the systems still does Not connect. Customer service keeps putting you off to the next tech and escalating service to no avail. System does not work! Looking for a law firm to take this case against Alder and their contract.

Scott Burk Dallas, TX

Deceptive sign up they tell you what you want to hear and deliver an ok product but not great and not the level promised. I've had several alarm issues were it just go's off, it loses connection often. I've spent way more time with customer service in the past 6 months than I did 3 years with my old provider. Customer service takes up to a week to fix the problem which I have a call every day. Also when they tell you they will call you back they don't .I wish I never answered the door and talked to them.

Amanda Barton Center, TX

Pleased just not happy that I didn't understand the products first so I have no idea what I was getting now I have to pay for cameras for the doors

Tiffany Newton, MS

The service doesn't work. I wish I wasn't stuck in a contract. I've called and complained and I was told by the lady that there's nothing to be done. They told me I could just sell the equipment to someone else, but I still have the monthly payment.

Lillian TN

I've requested 1 year ago to cancel Alder Security services and they refused to stop taking the money out my account. They said they're not able to cancel the automatic draft on there end. I canceled this June of 2021. I canceled because the security system and Camaras stopped working in February 2021 and they never sent me a replacement. They would tell me it's been ordered but could never provide me a tracking number. I had no knowledge they were still receiving money out my account after I canceled them. I've requested them to refund me the funds they took from my account without my consent and let me out this fraudulent contract. Then they said i renewed my contract in December when I didn't renew. I've been trying to get out the contract. I feel like im being held hostage. DO NOT GO WITH ALDER!!!

Nancy Barker Forest, VA

Worst company ever dealt with. The sales rep flat out lied. Our system worked less than 4 months, and have been trying to get them to fix it for 8 months. They require you to “troubleshoot” over the phone with a technician, who is hard to understand due to an accent, and they are totally clueless about the products. We have tried this multiple times and they still won’t send a service person to fix it. Tried to cancel, but of course they expect you to pay to cancel for a system that is totally worthless. If an Alder rep ever shows up at your door, SLAM it in his face! World like to have left 0 stars, but wasn’t an option

Rachel Indianapolis, IN

We ran into some issues at first, but everyone was really quick to help and went out of their way to try to do everything to help figure everything out for us. Everything's working really well now. It's easy to use and it looks clean and nice.

Vanessa Chicago, IL

The customer service is great, they were very diligent in following up when the equipment actually arrived and to make sure that I had everything I needed in order to install. It was easy to set up and came working. They answered every question I had and always reached out when I needed help with any other installation processes.

Albert Pendlebury Blackfoot, ID

They have been very courteous, professional and prompt and got everything taken care of. They were good at explaining the new alarm system to us. They always answer quickly and we've never any problems that they didn't resolve. This company is less expensive than a previous company we had.

Reply from Alder

Albert, glad to hear you chose Alder! We hope you enjoy your system.

Johnette Jerrett Spring, TX

There is no bulky equipment and it's simple to use.The customer service is excellent. The installer was very, very professional and explained everything to me. My experience has been really good, they always call me right away if I put my code in wrong or go out the door without putting it in. It's a little pricey, but I'm willing to pay it.

Reply from Alder

Johnette, thanks for your review. We are happy to hear how you've enjoyed everything so far! Welcome to the Alder family.

Adrienne Lynch

As soon as I had a problem with my security code, I called them and it was handled very quickly. I think their equipment is up to date, and they make it has good quality. The service is great, very professional and courteous.

Reply from Alder

Adrienne, thanks for your review! Happy to hear from you about your feedback so far.

Jul. 3rd, 2018

Willie Johnson Spokane, WA

There were a couple of times when the alarm was set off and they were right on the phone with me to make sure everything was ok. The one thing is that they didn't tell me I'd have to pay a little extra instead of bringing my bill down but the service has been good.

Reply from Alder

Hi Willie. Thanks for your review. Please let us know if you ever need anything! We appreciate your feedback.

Jun. 28th, 2018

Amber Lawton, OK

I'm not really happy with the system. It's not very user friendly and honestly when it's time to renew I'll be looking at other options

Gregory mouton Breaux Bridge, LA

The system is easy to use and u can watch it from your phone from anywhere.

Shauna Taylor Canyon Lake, TX

My order wasn't shipped until I reminded them. I have asked for installation help and billing clarification to no avail. I still don't have external cameras set up

Gwendolyn White Alexander City, AL

We have had this service since 2015. We have never had any problems with it until this year. The smoke detector and carbon monoxide detectors both stated alarming and would not stop. We had house checked out by local fire department and determined there was no danger. turns out the devices were expired and malfunctioning. They actually expired 3 months ago. No help from Alder they transferred me to 4 representatives the first day and 3 the second day. One even asked me to send a picture of the expiration sticker, as if I was lying. NEVER would let me speak with their supervisor. Refuse to schedule a technician. Took devices down and took batteries out. after about 3 hours the panel finally shut up. As SOON as we can Alder is out of here. Terrible customer service, representatives don't listen to you. Some did not know what to do to fix problem either. TERRIBLE COMPANY, IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER SECURITY SERVICE.

Daysha Indianapolis, IN

The installation was easy. I haven't had any problems with the equipment, no malfunctions. Everything works great. They were very helpful. Made the process easy I had no problems.

Rocky Charleston, WV

It's easy to work with. Every time I talk to one of them it's always a respectful conversation. They directly call right through when the alarm goes off. They are all about customers 100%

Robert & Sherita Trotter

We have been customers since May 2020 and we love Alder. Services are very affordable and the provide great service. If your alarm goes off for any reason they are sending you a text and calling you right away.

Janice Williams

Every time my alarm goes off they on top of it. I really likes it cause I’m a 69 year old female that live by myself in a area I don’t want to live in. But with this alarm I feel a little safe.

Linda Clearwater, FL

Only one experience which was a mistake that was created by my cat. However, ASAP Alder called, my friend emergency contact called and the police came to my home. I call that great response.

Alice Dunston Nashville, NC

No problems with system! Love it! The service has been great! Easy to use and I never had any problems with the service or the equipment! But most of all I love my outdoor camera! I can see from my entire driveway!

Rule Memphis, TN

Wonderful. Been with this for 1 year and the service has been nothing but on point. I was referred to Alder by a family member and I haven't had any problems. Thanks Again Alder

Andre Turner Boyle, MS

My experience with Alder has been great! My home security system was easy to setup. Customer service has been excellent. Great security system for a good price. Would definitely recommend!

Sharon Dees Laurens, SC

Sometimes it's confusing when I set my alarm or when they're testing the equipment I don't know how to shut it down. They're just friendly and efficient. It's a little pricey for me.

Reply from Alder

Hi Sharon. Glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your review!

Jul. 9th, 2018

Bettye Perry Meridian, MS

The young man that came out here was very nice and really respectful and courteous. He explained everything about the system. The system is doing good and they have responded quickly.

Reply from Alder

Thanks for your review! Let us know if you ever need anything.

Ricky Carrington Magnolia, AR

It's a very high tech system with a reasonable price. They were excellent in how they explained how it works. If I have a problem they are very happy to come out to help me or or explain it over the phone .

Reply from Alder

Ricky, thank you for your review. Glad to have you join the Alder family.

Eunice Finch Newport News, VA

This is a very good, simple, effective system. It has the highest technology in its category and a good monthly price. Customer service is good, they have called and checked back with us and made sure it was operating well.

Reply from Alder

Eunice--we appreciate hearing your feedback. Thanks!

Frederick Ritter Norfolk, VA

Whenever I've had issues they've promptly resolved them for me. I like having the newest technology like the doorbell camera, and also controlling the alarm system through the app on my phone.

Reply from Alder

Frederick--thanks for your review! Let us know if you ever need anything.

Jun. 28th, 2018

Dominique Indianapolis, IN

The sensors work when the want to, customer service takes forever and nothing gets fixed, you can't even pay your bill online

Felicia Wilson

they have great service and the people communicate well

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Alder is awesome in terms of a DIY security system. I got to set it up myself just the way I wanted and it has worked perfectly ever since. Saving on the installation cost was totally worth it to me and if anything ever goes wrong I just call customer service who is great at helping!

James Lawsing Winston Salem, NC

I like the system. Would love to have a way in which I can reset the tamper alarm

Torcive Waco, TX

Customer service is very prompt. They have affordable prices.