Best Company Guarantee Travelers Logo

Travelers

6.5

LAST UPDATED: August 5th, 2022

Founded in 1864, Travelers is a trusted insurer. Its home insurance policies are competitive for the industry, though it stands out for its coverage and discount for green homes.

Travelers policyholders can also benefit from using Amazon Alexa to manage their policy and receive advice on maintaining their homes.

Read Travelers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

The Good

• High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Competitive Coverage
  • Green Home Coverage
  • Discounts and Savings
  • Amazon Alexa Features

High Financial Strength Ratings

Travelers is a financially reliable insurance provider. It has stood the test of time and earned high financial strength ratings.

Financial strength ratings indicate the likelihood that an insurance company will be able to meet its claims obligations, so it's important to choose an insurer with a high financial strength rating when you buy an insurance policy.

Travelers's high ratings make it competitive.

Competitive Coverage

Typical for the home insurance industry, Travelers offers loss of use, personal property, dwelling, other structures, and personal liability coverage with its homeowners insurance policies. You can add identity fraud coverage, water backup and sump pump discharge overflow, and special coverage for high value items to your homeowners policy.

You can choose to cover your home and property at replacement cost value and even increase your replacement cost value coverage for your home.

Flood and earthquake insurance are sold as separate policies, which is typical for the industry.

Green Home Coverage

Travelers stands out from other insurers because it offers green home coverage. With this additional coverage, you receive extra protection for repairing, replacing, or rebuilding with green materials in the event of a covered loss.

Sustainability and being conscious of the environment are becoming more important to consumers, so this offering makes Travelers a good option if you're concerned about sustainability and the environment.

Discounts and Savings

Travelers offers discounts typical to the industry, including the following:

• Multi-policy
  • Home buyer (purchased home within 12 months)
  • Loss-free (no losses in a set time period)
  • Protective device

These discounts allow you to save on your insurance premium.

Travelers stands out from other insurers and shows its commitment to sustainability and the environment again by offering a green home discount on homes with a "green home" certification from the Leadership Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) organization.

Amazon Alexa Features

Travelers clients can also benefit from home maintenance tips and manage their insurance policy through Amazon Alexa. To enable these features, visit Travelers website.

This is a unique offering, which sets Travelers apart from other home insurers.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Reviews
  • No Branded Policy Features

Limited Customer Reviews

Best Company has not received many Travelers home insurance reviews. While it's a good sign that these customer reviews are mostly positive, more customer insight is necessary before reaching general conclusions about customer satisfaction.

No Branded Policy Features

Some home insurance companies offer branded policy features. Travelers does not. If you're set on a home insurer's branded feature, you may want to stick with that company.

Often branded insurance coverage or policy features are versions or expansions of typical homeowners insurance coverage options. You may be able to work with Travelers to find comparable coverage.

The Bottom Line

Although more insight on the customer experience is necessary, Travelers is a reliable home insurance carrier. It has many years of industry experience and has earned high financial strength ratings.

You'll find a competitive home insurance product from Travelers. What sets Travelers's home insurance apart from competitors is its green home coverage and green home discount. The insurer may be a particularly good fit if you're an environmentally conscious homeowner.

Call our recommended rep over at Travelers below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Ronald Cohen Sherwood, AR

Travelers Insurance is my current insurer (3 years). I have found them to be excellent. Near the end of the first year we had an overflowing toilet that caused water damage and mold to three bedrooms and both bathrooms. I called customer service to report the damage and within minutes I was contacted by an adjuster who came out three days later He wrote a check and assured me that if further damage was found that it would be covered. The reimbursement was accepted by the home restoration company that did all the work. Overall I am highly pleased with Travelers Insurance .

Jerry Cantrell Columbus, OH

I have been with Travelers for almost 2 years.I saved over $1,000 a year when I applied with Travelersn on my house and vehical insurance. For 2022 my monthly payment was reduced $19. First time I had this happen. Travelers is the obly company that would insure my 18 year old grandson for a affordable rate. I am really pleased to be with Travelers!!

Ben Tolsky Morris, IL

They have been very easy to deal with. We had a claim last year when a plumber flooded our house, and while the repair process was slower than I would have liked, the fact is they gave me a very fair price for all the work (we paid a bit extra for some minor improvements), and they even covered the cost of asbestos abatement as we discovered that our original flooring contained asbestos.

Rachel Porter Chicago, IL

Travelers was a comfort to have as my policy covered almost all key risks and the policy premium was very competitive. However, at renewal, my premium increased substantially (75%) because I'd file one claim in the prior year.

Chimezie Ihuoma New York, NY

They are pretty good at what they do. They gave me a very good quote that still haven’t been matched or beaten. I would highly recommend them.

MFlower Glen Allen, VA

I had them for a few years then my rate went up so had to shop around. I never had a claim so wasn’t sure the increase but found another company.

Liz Rockford, IL

So far this insurance company has taken good care of us and has been easy to work with.

Samarra Miller St. Petersburg, FL

I called to get quotes and the young man was very helpful. Very knowledgeable on their products. Good customer service

Leon Yoakum Los Angeles, CA

I have used travelers insurance for years. No problem until a pipe burst in the bathroom wall and flooded the house. made it claim and my rate went from 800.00 a year to almost 2000.00 a year. The insurance adjuster was rude and didn't offer much .help

Latresha Holman Phoenix, AZ

Am new to travelers and overwhelmed on how much I am saving compared to the other company I was with for yrs wish I would of try them sooner but hey all that matters is am with them now and am very much appreciate if you haven’t gave them are try don’t think twice you want regret it!

JOld2 Sacramento, CA

I found Travelers Insurance through a local Insurance broker and recently had them research other companies to see if I could get a lower rate than what I am currently paying. Of course, they were the lowest by $1,000. I have had 2 non fault accidents and I was extremely impressed with the way Travelers took care of the insurance claim.

Srini Aiyer Glen Allen, VA

Nice company to work with.reasonable rates and good service!!

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

I use Travelers for my Home Insurance, and have previously used it for my auto, event, and travel insurance. My experience across those different types of insurance has varied WILDLY - event insurance feels like a storefront to take your money without any customization while home insurance seems more modern and gives you more ability to customize and submit claims. I had to submit a claim for my event insurance (for my wedding), and the only possible way to do so was to LEAVE A VOICEMAIL - I then heard back ~7 days later that I'd been denied for some nonsense reason. BUT, meanwhile, they've been a great home insurance partner who've called me regularly to make sure I have the best rate.

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

My previous insurance was with a huge insurer. And it was thru my Union so I believed I had great insurance. I didn't even have good insurance. Today I am with Travelers where my deductibles are $500, at my old insurance company they were $1000.00, And I didn't have half the coverage I do now for half the price. I had called several other insurers before deciding on Travelers and I don't see myself ever changing.

Tonya Doran Peterborough, ON

I’ve been with travellers for home and auto insurance for 8yrs and they have always been so supportive during claims and renewals.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

Travelers Insurance company has a wide range of Insurance options , for all levels of family choices. A Company that stands behind their commitment of Service & Trust. We have used their services with great satisfaction & success.

Jen M Raleigh, NC

Great service! I had a flood in my house caused from my new washing machine. An adjuster came out the next day. My new floors were put in a week later and my check was already in the mail. A+ company!!

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Our home is over 100 years old. We had trouble finding someone to insure a home of this age. We have been very pleased with Travelers home insurance for over 10 years. Rates are very good.

James Moss Newton, IA

Travelers offered me a better deal than my previous insurance company, so I went with them this last time. I had to contact them once, and their customer service people are very good at handling my questions.

Shalon Johnson MS

Great rate for my homeowners insurance. Haven’t had much issues and the insurance agent has always been extremely helpful. Would definitely recommend

Becky Rasmussen American Fork, UT

Excellent customer service with financial umbrella of a lot of financial services. Security of knowing that property can be indemnified in case of a catastrophic event. Offers personal customer service with home visits from account executives.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

We have had Travelers home insurance for over 5 years now. Fortunately, we havent had to use it. The coverage is very reasonable and we pay for the entire year. We are happy with the service. No concerns.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

We've had Travelers as our home insurance company for the last few years and they have been good. We have not had to make any claims, but the rates have stayed consistent and we are will stay with them for the foreseeable future.

Kaitlyn G. Vienna, VA

We have had our home insurance at Travelers for years with no issue. They are always the most cost-effective for the same coverage elsewhere. We've had no claims (fingers crossed), so I can't comment on that part.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We use Travelers insurance to insure the homes my work owns and they own thousands and thousands of homes and they have made it so convenient to manage of their insurance! They've always had great customer service.

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

We have had Travelers for several years and have been very happy with their service. They have knowledgeable and prompt agents.

Kaleb Herbert Gilbert, AZ

I would never use Travelers for my Home insurance. The adjustors estimate the losses very very low, and are very hard to get a hold of. Homeowners end up usually having to pay out of pocket expenses. Their policies have many stipulations that after filing a claim I realized my loss expenses were excluded from my policy and I ended up paying a lot of out of pocket expenses.

buggy crazy Clatskanie, OR

Bought a house, that needed work, they did a drive by was all and refused to insure and refused to take my phone calls so i cancelled them, and their auto insurance and got great service with STATE FARM and great rates.

Jason Pyrah Willard, MO

I had to file a home insurance claim through Travelers and I found the turnaround time was great and the customer support staff was very helpful to the questions that I had.

Brian Slade South Jordan, UT

I had a conversation with their customer service department and it went very good. They were great to work with.

anupam sumessur Curtis Bay, MD

They charge a lot but do not cover your costs when you need to do repairs

Dara Bottenhagen Chicago, IL

Too expensive. Continually increasing payment's

Bob Abaya South San Francisco, CA

I had it for a short while and while I never made a claim with them, I felt their customer service was poor.