Best Company Guarantee SelectHealth Logo

SelectHealth

9.1

LAST UPDATED: February 3rd, 2022

With decades of experience, SelectHealth is committed to providing the highest quality of care to its members.

SelectHealth offers customers a variety of health care plans. Customers can also purchase dental insurance from SelectHealth.

View SelectHealth Reviews

SelectHealth works with Intermountain Healthcare to enhance healthcare value for members in Utah and Idaho. It has received several awards and recognitions for its health plans, caliber, and member satisfaction.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Health Insurance Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Positive Customer Reviews

SelectHealth's reviews on Best Company are primarily positive. The percentage of 4- and 5-star reviews is one of the highest on the site.

Reviewers express satisfaction with customer service, clarity, coverage, and claims.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Brittany Wilkinson from Herriman, Utah

"I choose Selecthealth for my health insurance every year because I trust them to take care of my family. They pay out quickly and cover everything we need covered. The customer service is always helpful."

Health Insurance Plans Offered

SelectHealth has a lot of health insurance plan options to choose from. The health insurance plans are not limited to just one format. SelectHealth offers private health insurance plans and health plans that meet the Affordable Care Act's requirements like covering the essential health benefits, including preventive care. It also offers Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, and dental insurance plans.

SelectHealth even offers short-term health insurance for individuals or families who are in between jobs or simply need temporary coverage.

Health insurance premiums, annual deductible, and out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) for each plan vary based on several factors, including the coverage offered, age of the insured, and number of people insured. Some consumers may qualify for a monthly premium subsidy instituted by the Affordable Care Act.

Provider networks may also vary based on the plan you choose. For example, Preferred Provider Network (PPO) plans cover in- and out-of-network patient care, though at different rates. PPO plan members benefit from greater flexibility when choosing a physician.

Member Resources

The online member portal through SelectHealth is called MyHealth and gives plan enrollees access to so many tools. Through it, you can view your health plan's benefits, limitations, and coverage. You can also read up on your rights and responsibilities as a member and get help finding a primary care physician or specialist and setting up appointments. These services apply to both general practitioners, mental health physicians, and other care providers.

One perk to SelectHealth's claims process is that it is paperless. You won't have to deal with that hassle, and once you file a claim you can track it 24/7 online. SelectHealth has a member services phone number, but members can only contact them during certain business hours with this number.

Unique Features

Like most other health insurance companies, SelectHealth has both a Find a Doctor tool and a Find a Facility tool. On the website, you'll also find simple explanations for each plan and ways to contact the company to find out more (and shop for plans that are specific to you).

The mobile app is also convenient, which actually has several capabilities. On the app, users can view their health plan's benefits and see how much coverage has been used so far. Users can also use the app to find a pharmacy or urgent care, email your ID card information if needed, and even see what the status is on wait times at an Intermountain InstaCare facility.

Member discounts are definitely another advantage at SelectHealth. With a health plan, you could pay less on a gym membership, eyewear, or hearing aids. SelectHealth also has discounts on supplements, alternative medicine, and personal training-items that seem luxurious but could actually have a big positive impact on your health.

Select Heath offers health education to members who want it. Through its additional services, its programs can help get you on the road to stop smoking or to lose weight, for example.

SelectHealth was created and is operated by the well-known Intermountain Healthcare organization. This hospital system was founded in 1975, and along the way SelectHealth was initiated. It has expanded to serve customers through a variety of health plans. Intermountain Healthcare has a great customer service reputation, and this culture extends to its health insurance partner. Together, the two prize high-quality health care services.

Primarily, customers can contact SelectHealth through one of its main phone numbers (including numbers dedicated to member services) or a secure message form. It also offers the opportunity to set up a live chat or schedule a call.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Kilee Wagner from Bountiful, Utah

"We've had select health for years and have been very happy. The EOB's are very easy to read and self explanatory. Customer service is great to answer any questions."

SelectHeath does have a helpful FAQs section, social media profiles, and even a company blog. All of these resources connect them to members and potential customers as well. Once you are a member with SelectHealth, of course, your resources leave little to be desired.

This insurance company has done an excellent job of providing members with almost any tool they would need. These tools help members find health care services by locating primary care doctors or specialists and hospitals. Other tools allow members to view benefits, file a claim, and even find advice for their health.

Get Quote

The Bad

• State Availability
  • Business Hours Only

State Availability

If you're a potential Select Health customer, you'll want to know that the company only provides insurance in Utah and Idaho. If you don't live in these states, you'll need to find another insurer.

Business Hours Only

Customers can only contact Select Health during certain business hours, not 24/7. Even though members can access their online portal 24/7, it would be nice to have the option to contact a company representative, if needed, during the evening or early morning.

The Bottom Line

Medical expenses can be high and difficult to pay for. Having a health insurance plan provides policyholders with access to discounted health care prices and help paying for care. These discounts, deductibles, and limits on out-of-pocket expenses are frequently referred to as health benefits.

Select Health is a recommended insurer because of its high customer ratings. Its service area is quite small, limited to only two states: Utah and Idaho. Because of this, its customer base and network are much smaller, and SelectHealth insurance policies aren't available to most consumers in the United States.

As long as you live in one of these two states, this insurance company offers positive customer service, a variety of health plans, and convenient tools. It's easy to explore plans, compare premium costs and deductible amounts.

Once you enroll, SelectHealth makes it easy to find a network doctor with its Find a Doctor tool. Its paperwork is all available online through a member portal.

Considering the good service it offers, SelectHealth is a recommended insurer.

Call our recommended rep over at SelectHealth below.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

4.0

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

SelectHealth has been my insurance provider for about 2.5 years now. I have never had to resubmit a claim or contact customer service with an issue. I have had a couple of long term health issues over the last year and I have never had to worry about my insurance not paying a claim. I am very satisfied with this insurer, I have a few friends that always have issues with their insurance not paying for services that should be covered on their insurance and I am so glad that I never have had to deal with that.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

I have had insurance with SelectHealth for 20+ years. I am grateful that we have insurance through our employment. SelectHealth has been a great company to work with. They have explained clearly the terms of our insurance. It has been easy and simple to get answers and get connected to someone to help when problems arise.

Kyle Campbell Midvale, UT

I've been a SelectHealth customer for decades. They are a company that truly cares about my health. I appreciate how proactive they are about encouraging me to get proper care and treatment. They are also committed to preventive care.

Nan Shinkle Salt Lake City, UT

SelectHealth has been one of the best insurance company we've ever had. They make it easy to go to and follow up on their website, and they generally are quick to reply whether digitally or via mail. I trust them which is big!

Shopman Herriman, UT

Great insurance! SelectHealth is affordable. It is accepted by most providers where I live. I find the customer service staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. The wait times when I call are very short. I would highly recommend SelectHealth.

Eve Collins

So disappointed...unfortunately they won't pay for my injections in my spine ....I'm trying to avoid surgery I really don't get it why you won't pay for injections 100%makes no sense..hard to understand what they will pay and what they dont.

Saraswati Manandhar Herriman, UT

I like Select Health as it has more providers and I can get most of the services closer to my home. They have good customer service. Once while doing MRI for my both knees,, there was miscommunication about estimated pay. I called them and they removed all my extra bill as it was mistake from their side.

Valerie Peterson Herriman, UT

We have had Select Health Insurance for many years. It has served us well and helped us find quality providers and receive the medical services we needed. Most recently we have been able to take advantage of their mental health benefits, which have been so helpful. The copay is awesome and finding a provider online was easy.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

They have the best selection of Hospitals in our area because they are tied to the largest and oldest hospital chain in the state. That was useful, however, they were pretty expensive and had higher deductibles than others we have had through work-sponsored plans.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Select Health has always been a great insurance foundation for our family. They cover just about anything and their customer service is excellent. They know how to support you through their claims process, simplifying wherever possible. And the reaction time to issues and questions is pretty quick. This is not the old model where difficulty is the norm. Select Health provides easy website platforms, solid customer service, exact answers to questions, no run-around, and quick payment of claims. They are the example to copy!

Cf Kaysville, UT

I had had good experiences with Select Health for many years. In 2018, I got cancer and wanted to go to the Huntsman Cancer Center. I called and the representative said I wouldn’t be covered elsewhere at the U, but expenses at the Huntsman would be covered. So thankful to have gone to Huntsman. I had a great experience and felt the care was better than I received elsewhere. (I tried another hospital first.) If you have cancer, go there, quickly. When the bills started coming, there were a few surprises. The statements were months late, so I couldn’t remember the service or the date. Thankfully I keep a journal and a calendar. They didn’t want to cover a blood draw lab at Huntsman, because the bill said “University if Utah” on it. It was in the Huntsman Center, the lab was there, but the bill said U of U. However, a very kind lady at Select Health helped me find an appeal form and get it in. They did accept the appeal. I had to do this several more times, which was difficult while dealing with cancer. However, the phone service reps are exceptional. So unusual to find well-trained customer service reps nowadays. I even received thoughtful notes from several of them, with their direct phone number so I could get straight through to them the next time there was a need. I did that a few times. It felt like a friend was helping me. I’m so grateful to be able to speak to a person, even on Saturdays!! Because of my mom’s Alzheimer’s and my own health concerns, Select Health provided someone to check in with us and make sure things were going okay. We didn’t need financial help, but they were willing to help with that. I can’t express how much Zane S and Patricia G helped us. So very thankful for them. Select Health also has a lot of wellness programs, if you have the time to take advantage of them. I was able to do their weight loss program for free because of my BMI. Because of that program, I no longer qualify for it!! Yay! I have checked the reviews for other insurance companies in this area, and Select Health outshines them all. Like any company, they have their moments, but their intent is good. BBB gives them an A+ rating, while another local insurance company I considered gets a D+. BBB has served me well, and my own experience tells me to stay with the company who cares, Select Health! Thanks to their leaders, who foster such an atmosphere of caring.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

We have had select health as our insurance for years. Although some options are a little bit less expensive, we always choose to go with Select Health because the facilities are more advanced and there is always a larger number of doctors to choose from. The billing department is easy to work with and they have several different payment plans to choose from.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

Their customer service is why I stay with them. They are always very kind on the phone and are willing to go above and beyond what I would expect from a Health Insurance Company. Just a few months ago I was having issues with a Doctor's office and their billing department. Someone from Select Health was willing to call and talk to the Doctor's billing department and sort it out. It took them over a month to get a hold of the billing department, but the Select health representative called me at least once a week to update me on how many times she had tried to get a hold of the billing department and what was going on. Although the billing department was really frustrating, Select Health was very helpful with making it a little less of a headache.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I've been with Select Health for awhile now, and I have really liked it. The hospital I go to takes my insurance as does the same doctor I have been going to for the last 30 years. I went without insurance for a long time, so it is nice to finally be covered and feel like I can go in and get checked out. I would definitely recommend using Select Health.

Linda Bates Mesquite, NV

I just recently moved from Utah to Nevada. I had Select Health, but there is no Select Health coverage in the state of Nevada. That is very unfortunate for us. We have found Select Health to be one of the "finest" healthcare insurance companies we had coverage with! I personally want to say thank you for all of your sevices. I would gladly pick up my policy if Select Health had coverage in Nevada. I recommend this Insurance company, as they are trustworthy, accountable, and respectful. Great Insurance Company!

Nodee Hankins Roy, UT

I have been with Select Health for the past 9 years. Between my husband's illness and the 2 surgeries that I have had to have, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. They have continually been there taking care of our needs. I don't know what we would have done if we had a different insurance. They have continually been very prompt in paying our claims. They are always kind and courteous if I had a question. Thanks Select Health for always going above and beyond in your customer service!

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

All around, a very reasonable heath insurance provider. The office co- pays, out of pocket amount, individual and family deductibles are all affordable. Great selection of health care providers to choose from for primary care. A smaller selection of specialists, but still more than one doctor to choose from. There are multiple facilities to choose from. No need to drive far to reach a network hospital. We get really good coverage at a reasonable cost.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I love have select health. It is the main insurance in the area where I live. I dread not having it if I ever change companies, as this is accepted everywhere

Kamron Dalton Riverton, UT

The healthcare provided is excellent, however, the communication between the provider and the billing team could be improved. Customer service is all automated and it's difficult to speak with a live person.

J B Sandy, UT

Joined SelectHealth when I moved to Utah. I've been very happy with their service. Their high deductible plans are a high money saver if your needs are not extensive.

Julie Joos Herriman, UT

I've had this insurances for years. Both working and retired. I've always had excellent coverage and preventive covered procedures. Very happy with Select Health.

Kristen Parsons Sandy, UT

We chose select health for the wide range of providers which is awesome. The biggest struggle is the push back on testing and medications. My doctor has ordered a test or a medication just to have Select Health deny it. It takes some back and forth but everything was worked out.

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

Select Health has been a great company to work with. We have been able to go and talk to one of their representatives for the past three years when deciding on a health care plan for our family. They are always extremely helpful and we feel good about the plans they offer and the customer support we receive from them.

Connie Wright Chino Valley, AZ

I have had a couple of insurances due to a disability, and am so please with Selecthealth. I have received super benefits and I never worry. Thank you for your professionalism and kind way I have been treated. I will suggest you to my friends.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have had SelectHealth as my Health Insurance for the past 2 years and have enjoyed my experience. At first I struggled to get everything set up as there were some name confusions, but the Customer Service team did a wonderful job getting everything worked out and I have had no problems since. I look forward to continuing service and quality coverage!

Jennifer Ashby Salt Lake City, UT

I have been very pleased with Select Health in Utah County. The insurance is accepted most places I have wanted to go, and if it’s not I have been able to find another option. The coverage seems to be above average and the customer service is great. I have called a few times with questions and the wait time has never been too long and they have been able to answer my questions.

April H Lehi, UT

We have had Select Health insurance for years and they have done a great job for our family of seven. I feel like they have been the least frustrating of all the insurance companies we have had (we've had five or six). They are always helpful and can get you the answers you need. I feel like they really begin with the customer in mind. If you are in the providing area, I would highly recommend them.

Myra Howes Provo, UT

You are my favorite. Your website has always been so helpful to me, especially the part where I can search for doctors in my area that are with Select Health. I am grateful for the benefits of free flu shots I've been receiving. I have appreciated the reaching out of employees to me by an actual handwritten card on occasion to make sure that if I had any other questions, that I knew they were there to help. Great customer service. I feel like you really care about me when I call or interact in any way.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

I think Select Heath provides exceptional care and service with their health plan. I have been a member of their health plan for almost 20 years. I think one of the real benefits of Select Health is their member advocates program. They have an access number for members to call and get help with finding a provider, determining health care costs, etc. Their member advocates team is VERY helpful!!

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

My wife and I been on Select Health insurance for more than a decade. We have never been disappointed with the coverage they offer. If we have needed help with anything, their online support system seemed easy to use and representatives were knowledgeable about all of the services offered. For us, the price was affordable and our choice of providers has allowed us to visit the doctors we feel most comfortable with. We will continue to use Select Health for as long as we are working.

nathan brewer Lehi, UT

We had select health through work for about 10 years before they switched us. We have a daughter with a congenital heart disease and we were always treated so well. There were even times we had to call in to make sure we were going to be covered on particular procedures and they were very nice to help us through the process to get the coverage we needed.

Jeff B Orem, UT

Living in Utah I 100% believe Select Health is the best Insurance Provider. Their Provider Network is amazing and you rarely have to worry if the ER or Urgent Care facility you have to use is in network. I also have had multiple positive interactions with customer service. The monthly fee was also much lower than my previous insurer. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for health insurance.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Select Health is very patient friendly. Not only do I have my own coverage from them, but I am also have a medical billing company and work with them on claims all the time. They are always friendly and easy to work with. Their claims processing is quick and easy to understand. The one thing I don’t love is that you have to get a new subscriber number anytime you change over to one of their different plans.

Brady Hanson Orem, UT

SelectHealth is the number one choice for a Utah family. They have a good coverage network and some affordable plans. However, when signing up it is important to compare how you will use the coverage- if you don’t visit the doctor often you can go for a plan with higher copays and lower premiums. However, if your family gets sick a lot or you will have a lot of medical costs consider a plan with a higher deductible and lower copays. It really comes down to what your employer can provide. Their phone customer services is amazing and is open later than a typical work day so you can easily get quick answers to questions.

wanda Saint George, UT

loyal customer for years. They have our physician and specialty physicians in network. the billing statements are easy to read. when i have spoken with the billing and customer service department they have all been very helpful and kind. explains my benefits very clearly. They mail you out a book of all the physicians covered under your plan. very helpful.

Mali Orem, UT

Its a popular insurance in the state of Utah. I only go to IHC physicians and hospitals and they accept this insurance. Everyone is always so helpful and pleasant when i talk to the billing department or looking for providers that are in network. Statements are readable and easy to understand. I also don't pay and arm and a leg monthly either to cover my entire family.

Jodie Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

Select Health is my current healthcare provider. I love that they have a variety of plans at a variety of prices so that I can choose the plan that is best for my family and our circumstances. There are lots of in network doctors to choose from. Their in network hospitals are numberous. When I have called customer service, they have been friendly and helpful. Overall, a positive experience with health insurance.

Amanda Sherwood, OR

Love them! in Utah they are one of the main company and sometimes the only one certain hospital accept! I had a baby while on a really good plan with them and didnt have any issues with billings or anything. Also used them while on Medicaid and didnt have to pay anything with baby number 2 and got a free pump. They were very pro active in letting me know what I was allowed to benefit from both from the paying insurance and the medicaid option!

Landon Robison Layton, UT

I have had my health insurance through here for a long time and have never had any issues. There have been a couple times where I have to call their helpline and they were very helpful and made it a simple and quick process. They seem genuinely concerned about their customers, which is hard to find in such large companies. I would definitely recommend.

Amber Handy Salt Lake City, UT

Being able to find a good doctor is important to me and I have been so happy with the doctors that are in-network on my plan.

Tara Hansen Layton, UT

We have had SelectHealth for several years now. It has been great insurance and all of our favorite providers accept it so that is a big win for us!

Christy Jorgensen Lehi, UT

The have always been easy to work with. They explain the benefits very well so you know exactly what to expect with coverage

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

Our coverage with Select Health is great. The are always very propt with paying our benefits and letting us know what we still owe. Their web site is not the most user friendly to figure out who we can see under our specific plan.

Suzanna Wootton Springville, UT

Select Health isn't my preffered insurance provider. My copays are really high and I don't love that. But, I don't really have any complaints other than that! I rarely go to the doctor so I haven't had much affiliation with select health themselves.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

My husband and I have had a great experience with Select Health. They have covered quite a bit of our various medical needs. It's one of the best insurances we have had in regards to medical. I am never hesitant to go get something checked out or schedule a follow up. Their customer service is very fast and helpful.

Breanna Jones Herriman, UT

I have been more happy with Select Health than any other insurance. I have benefits for prescriptions that I never had before with other insurances. I have had to call customer service with questions before and their customer service was helpful. I can find providers everywhere and have never had trouble finding a doctor that takes Select Health.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Select Health, has always been fair to my family. I've only had to use my insurance a few times and they paid the bill quickly and notified me when payment was processed. My only complaint is their call center tends to be a little slow in answering your calls.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Haven't had any problems with SelectHealth. Affordable insurance and we haven't had to use it insurance too much other than some surgeries which were paid for cause we hit our deductibles which was a huge life-saver

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

I just switched to Select health and it covers more than other insurances I’ve used. I appreciate the statements they send that show what they covered before they send a bill.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Select Health is a great insurance provider for the most part. We did have a hiccup where a rep wasn't clear about what would be covered for a need for my daughter's ABA therapy, and that was a stressful. The Select Health Rep told the ABA therapy provider that the therapy would be covered so we began the evaluations and process when we came to find out our plan did not cover that, but because we were already in the process we had to pay the evaluation and initial therapy fees, and look into other options. Those that we talked to on the phone from Select Health were for the most part helpful and caring in the process, but there wasn't much they were able to do after the clarification of the error from the rep had been made.