Select Health

• Dental and Vision Coverage
  • SelectHealth Member Mobile App
  • Claim this Profile

Intro to Select Health

With more than 30 years of experience, SelectHealth is committed to providing the highest quality of care to its members. SelectHealth works with Intermountain Healthcare to enhance healthcare value for members in Utah and Idaho. They have received several awards and recognitions for their health plans, quality, and member satisfaction.

The Good

• Types of plans offered
    • Member resources
    • Unique features
    • Customer service

Types of Plans Offered

Select Health has a lot of plan options to choose from. Their health plans are not limited to just one format; rather, they've opened up their selection to more typical plans like HMOs and local options like state plans. Among Select Health's plans are Medicaid and Medicare options, HSAs, HMOs, and CHIP plans (the Children's Health Insurance Program). They also offer:

• Out of Area plans (OOA)
    • Federal Employee Health Plans
    • Utah's Premium Partnership plans (UPP)
    • Health Coverage Tax Credit (a government health plan)

They even offer short-term insurance for individuals or families who are in between jobs or simply need temporary coverage. One type of plan that the company doesn't mention is a Preferred Provider Organization plan (PPO).

Select Health has dental and vision coverage for some members as well. The benefits of these plans depend on the member's location and qualifications. Vision insurance is covered through EyeMed and usually covers an annual eye exam 100%. Though this plan doesn't typically cover glasses or contacts, there are some discounts for these through Select Health itself. Dental insurance covers an extent of all types of dental work-from cleanings and fillings to root canals and crowns. There are tiered and traditional dental plans. With traditional plans, the deductible is $50 per individual and $150 per family.

Member Resources

The online member portal through Select Health is called MyHealth and gives members access to so many tools. Through it, you can view your health plan's benefits, limitations, and coverage. You can also read up on your rights and responsibilities as a member and get help finding a doctor and setting up an appointment with that doctor. (These services apply to both general practitioners and mental health physicians.) In addition, members have access to price comparisons for medications, which is a tool that makes sure you're getting the right price for already-expensive prescriptions.

The member portal has logistical tools, such as downloadable forms, a FAQs section for help navigating the portal or performing a specific member task, and customer service messaging. One perk to Select Health's claims is that they're paperless. You won't have to deal with that hassle, and once you file a claim you can track it 24/7 online. Select Health has a member services phone number, but members can only contact them during certain business hours with this number.

To boot, there's an online health coaching tool available through the member portal. Whether you want to set fitness goals, quit smoking, or establish other healthy habits, this tool can help you track your health and find extra motivation to keep going with your goals.

Unique Features

Like most other health insurance companies, Select Health has both a Find a Doctor tool and a Find a Facility tool. On their website, you'll also find simple explanations for each other their plans and ways to contact the company to find out more (and shop for plans that are specific to you). Also convenient is their mobile app, which actually has several capabilities. Not only can you view your health plan's benefits and see how much coverage you've used up so far; you can also use the app to find a pharmacy or urgent care, email your ID card information if needed, and even see what the status is on wait times at an Intermountain InstaCare facility.

Member discounts are definitely another advantage at Select Health. With a health plan, you could have access to savings on a gym membership, eyewear, or hearing aids. They also have discounts on supplements, alternative medicine, and personal training-items that seem luxurious but could actually have a big positive impact on your health.

Select Heath offers health education to members who want it. They can help get you on the road to stop smoking or to lose weight, for example. Their STEP Express program is for younger customers (fourth graders, to be specific) and encourages regular exercising.

Finally, this company is unique because it offers some out-of-area coverage. If you're on a trip outside of Utah or Idaho, you can have some coverage their MultiPlan or PHCS benefits.

Select Health was created and is operated by the well-known Intermountain Healthcare organization. This hospital system was founded in 1975, and along the way Select Health was initiated. It has expanded to serve customers through a variety of health plans. Intermountain has a great customer service reputation, and this culture extends to its health insurance partner. Together, the two prizes high-quality care.

Primarily, customers can contact Select Health through one of their main phone numbers (including numbers dedicated to member services) or a secure message form. What they don't clearly provide, however, is an email option or even a live chat feature. These would be good tools to add to their repertoire because some customers prefer to ask questions online. Otherwise, you have to make a call or wait for the company to respond to the message you sent through their portal.

Select Heath does have a helpful FAQs section, social media profiles, and even a company blog. All of these resources connect them to members and potential customers as well. Once you are a member with Select Health, of course, your resources leave little to be desired. This company has done an excellent job of providing members with almost any tool they would need to view benefits, file a claim, and even find advice for their health.

The Bad

• State availability
    • Business hours only
    • Contact options

State Availability

If you're a potential Select Health customer, you'll want to know that the company only provides insurance in Utah and Idaho.

Business Hours Only

Customers can only contact Select Health during certain business hours, not 24/7. Even though members can access their online portal 24/7, it would be nice to have the option to contact a representative, if needed, during the evening or early morning.

Contact Options

Select Health has a lot of phone numbers and a contact form, but they don't provide a clear email address or a live chat tool for customers and members to contact them.

The Bottom Line

The pros heavily outweigh the cons with Select Health. True, their service area is quite small, limited to only two states. And because of this, their customer base and network are much smaller, and they aren't available to most of the country. But as long as you live in one of these two states, this company carries the promise of positive customer service, a variety of health plans, and convenient tools such as paperless claims.

That said, Select Health is a recommended option for health insurance. They are operated by a well-known hospital system in the Utah-Idaho area.

2.5

Jodie Larson
    August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Select Health is my current healthcare provider. I love that they have a variety of plans at a variety of prices so that I can choose the plan that is best for my family and our circumstances. There are lots of in network doctors to choose from. Their in network hospitals are numberous. When I have called customer service, they have been friendly and helpful. Overall, a positive experience with health insurance.

Carolynn
    August 17th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Have had them for years and have always had good experiences with them. If I have questions about coverage or a bill, they explain it to me until I understand why or why not it is covered. Their websites are easy to navigate to find doctors/clinics/hospitals.

Adam Walker
    July 23rd, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

Affordable, overall I can’t complain with the provider options and cost.

Marilyn Greer
    July 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT

The doctors are all great but the copays are too high.

Hunter Scott
    July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Very positive. THeir EOB are timely and accurate.

Mack
    July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Poor. No followup and hard to find an excepting therapist

Taylor Vance
    July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

So far no issues. I have called in to their customer service a couple of times and they have always been very quick and knowledgeable. We haven't had any large expenses to cover yet.

Spencer Hodgson
    July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They offer competitive pricing and good coverage for what you're paying.

Kim Haslam
    July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Poor service pay for members annual physical including thoriod test etc. This insurance company does not pay for all our anuall physical.

Amelia Gibson
    June 6th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Select Health is super efficient, and very helpful. I also like how they Have super great customer service.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
    June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've been with these guys for years and I love that they always answer the phone quickly and don't transfer you all around to find answers. Usually the person who answers the call knows just what I need.

David Lewis
    May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Select Health has been good to me. Every time I had an insurance claim Select Health has always been able to answer any questions I have about the claim. I have had everything covered up to this point. I have a high deductible plan with an HSA account which has been very affordable. I will likely remain with Select Health for a long time.

Cade Baker
    May 1st, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

Coverage has been great so far, and it's saved me a lot of money in the long run. I have a lot of medical expenses.

K Robison
    April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Good health insurance plans and decent pricing. Customer service is very helpful.

Erin Rhoton
    April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have loved Select Health for my health insurance. They have great customer service and I can easily get a hold of someone if I have any questions about a bill.

Schon
    April 24th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Have had this insurance for a long time and I've always thought the value and coverage has been great.

Donna Haslam
    April 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT DETAILS

I'm unable to do an annual physical due to select health does not pay for the entire preventive blood works as all other Insurance company in the past 6 year. We got Select Health from the market place and was told our annual physical is covered as preventive however select health will not pay for your entire blood work. They are a total scam company. If we could rate at 0 star that would be the rating they get plus customer service is lacking need training etc.

Chase Huntzinger
    April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

Select Health has offered good coverage. We have been under their medicaid program though, so may be a little different. Not too much to say besides they are dependable.

Trent
    April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I them as a provider and the rates are pretty expensive, but the packages have good coverage. I have never been sick while with them, so I don't know how easy it is to file claims.

Amanda
    April 18th, 2018 Sherwood, OR DETAILS

Love them! in Utah they are one of the main company and sometimes the only one certain hospital accept! I had a baby while on a really good plan with them and didnt have any issues with billings or anything. Also used them while on Medicaid and didnt have to pay anything with baby number 2 and got a free pump. They were very pro active in letting me know what I was allowed to benefit from both from the paying insurance and the medicaid option!

Anne Marie Milne
    April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Select Health has been great for a number of years. Good deductibles and reasonable prices. I have to have a lot of work done because I have back and neck problems and I know I can count on Select Health.

Maryayb
    April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I have had coverage for 25 years with select health and have stayed because I love my physician even though premiums are a bit higher

Landon Robison
    April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have had my health insurance through here for a long time and have never had any issues. There have been a couple times where I have to call their helpline and they were very helpful and made it a simple and quick process. They seem genuinely concerned about their customers, which is hard to find in such large companies. I would definitely recommend.

Cheryl
    March 5th, 2018 Coeur d'Alene, ID DETAILS

I am not impressed. Hardly any providers in network in north Idaho. Every claim processed I have to call because there is a problem.

Laurel Vukich
    February 26th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We've had quite a few health insurance carriers before and this one is by far, the worst. They cost a fortune and cover practically nothing, and you get dinged for anything and everything. They don't cover good doctors, which forces you out of network, which of course means you aren't covered. The other day I called Member Advocates for a good Thyroid Specialist, and they referred me to 3 OBGYN's who don't specialize in thyroid at all. I'm so frustrated that we're stuck with them for a year.

james brammer
    February 8th, 2018 Midvale, UT DETAILS

Costumer service is bad. They tell you are denied service, but did not send a letter out. I filed an appeal, but never heard from them. So I called them and I was denied. But never receive a letter from them. Most of the doctors I have talk to . Do not like Select Health Company.

Brady
    December 21st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Highly unethical. Once I hit my maximum out of pocket for the year the physician on the payroll for Select Health denied my case because they claimed to see something different on my MRI that half a dozen other radiologists, specialists, and surgeons could not see.

Chris Wootton
    December 18th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Very good company with excellent customer service.

Suzanna Wootton
    December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT

Select Health isn't my preffered insurance provider. My copays are really high and I don't love that. But, I don't really have any complaints other than that! I rarely go to the doctor so I haven't had much affiliation with select health themselves.

Jacinda E
    December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Their customer service answer all of my questions about our benefits with our insurance plan. So far select health has been a great insurance company to work with.

William
    December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Select health tries not to pay out anything the can. They are a very affordable option but the coverage isn't great.

Kristen Davidson
    December 12th, 2017 Layton, UT DETAILS

Select Health has been my provider for several years. I am very happy with the service and the availability of the people who I need to speak with.

Hannah
    December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We've been on SelectHealth for a couple years now. They've been okay. Customer service has been satisfactory, and I'm decently happy with what they cover on our plan. Again, not stellar, but not horrible.

Lindsey
    December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Select Health really isn't the best insurance, but the customer service is pretty good.

Emerald Scott
    December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

They are an okay insurance. As far as I have had to deal with them they haven't covered much, but I expect that from any insurance with the reasons for my visits. The customer service is good and doesn't take forever to get help.

Hayley Lambdin
    November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

My husband and I have had a great experience with Select Health. They have covered quite a bit of our various medical needs. It's one of the best insurances we have had in regards to medical. I am never hesitant to go get something checked out or schedule a follow up. Their customer service is very fast and helpful.

Stephanie Lutz
    October 25th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS

Select health covers a lot of things for us. I wish it didn't get more expensive every year, but they have good coverage for my medications.

Matthew Gluckman
    October 4th, 2017

Before I signed up I checked online to make sure Lialda would be covered. It was. I called and double checked and it was covered. Now after I've paid my first months payment they told me they won't cover it. Fraudulent quite frankly because it's a medicine I'm supposed to be taking 2x everyday. It seems grossly unprofessional to be disorganized with people's health. I hope anybody considering health care in the future will look elsewhere.

Tony Boyer
    October 3rd, 2017 Boise, ID

I had this insurance through my employer for 2 years and was laid off by my employer. My pain management provider graciously wrote me a 90-day script for pain medication to be filled on my last day of coverage, which SH promptly refused, stating it wasn't a "maintenance medication." I have been a chronic pain patient for 5 years and this is certainly "maintenance" for my chronic pain. When I called customer service, the rep could do nothing but parrot their "policy." This is nothing but organized crime in my opinion, picking and choosing who is "worthy" of coverage. My God, when I think of how much money I flushed down the toilet in premiums, it makes me literally sick. Stay away from this insurer, they're the epitome of corporate scumbaggery.

Connie Wright
    June 7th, 2017 Chino Valley, AZ

I have had a couple of insurances due to a disability, and am so please with Selecthealth. I have received super benefits and I never worry. Thank you for your professionalism and kind way I have been treated. I will suggest you to my friends.