Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

6.5

Select Health

verified
Select Health provides health, dental, and vision insurance in Utah and Idaho

With more than 30 years of experience, SelectHealth is committed to providing the highest quality of care to its members. SelectHealth works with Intermountain Healthcare to enhance healthcare value for members in Utah and Idaho. They have received several awards and recognitions for their health plans, quality, and member satisfaction.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

Select Health has a lot of plan options to choose from. Their health plans are not limited to just one format; rather, they've opened up their selection to more typical plans like HMOs and local options like state plans. Among Select Health's plans are Medicaid and Medicare options, HSAs, HMOs, and CHIP plans (the Children's Health Insurance Program). They also offer:

• Out of Area plans (OOA)
  • Federal Employee Health Plans
  • Utah's Premium Partnership plans (UPP)
  • Health Coverage Tax Credit (a government health plan)

They even offer short-term insurance for individuals or families who are in between jobs or simply need temporary coverage. One type of plan that the company doesn't mention is a Preferred Provider Organization plan (PPO).

Select Health has dental and vision coverage for some members as well. The benefits of these plans depend on the member's location and qualifications.

Vision insurance is covered through EyeMed and usually covers an annual eye exam 100%. Though this plan doesn't typically cover glasses or contacts, there are some discounts for these through Select Health itself.

Dental insurance covers an extent of all types of dental work-from cleanings and fillings to root canals and crowns. There are tiered and traditional dental plans. With traditional plans, the deductible is $50 per individual and $150 per family.

Member Resources

The online member portal through Select Health is called MyHealth and gives members access to so many tools. Through it, you can view your health plan's benefits, limitations, and coverage. You can also read up on your rights and responsibilities as a member and get help finding a doctor and setting up an appointment with that doctor. These services apply to both general practitioners and mental health physicians.

In addition, members have access to price comparisons for medications, which is a tool that makes sure you're getting the right price for already-expensive prescriptions. The member portal has logistical tools, such as downloadable forms, a FAQs section for help navigating the portal or performing a specific member task, and customer service messaging.

One perk to Select Health's claims is that they're paperless. You won't have to deal with that hassle, and once you file a claim you can track it 24/7 online. Select Health has a member services phone number, but members can only contact them during certain business hours with this number.

To boot, there's an online health coaching tool available through the member portal. Whether you want to set fitness goals, quit smoking, or establish other healthy habits, this tool can help you track your health and find extra motivation to keep going with your goals.

Unique Features

Like most other health insurance companies, Select Health has both a Find a Doctor tool and a Find a Facility tool. On their website, you'll also find simple explanations for each other their plans and ways to contact the company to find out more (and shop for plans that are specific to you).

Also convenient is their mobile app, which actually has several capabilities. Not only can you view your health plan's benefits and see how much coverage you've used up so far; you can also use the app to find a pharmacy or urgent care, email your ID card information if needed, and even see what the status is on wait times at an Intermountain InstaCare facility.

Member discounts are definitely another advantage at Select Health. With a health plan, you could have access to savings on a gym membership, eyewear, or hearing aids. They also have discounts on supplements, alternative medicine, and personal training-items that seem luxurious but could actually have a big positive impact on your health.

Select Heath offers health education to members who want it. They can help get you on the road to stop smoking or to lose weight, for example. Their STEP Express program is for younger customers (fourth graders, to be specific) and encourages regular exercising.

Finally, this company is unique because it offers some out-of-area coverage. If you're on a trip outside of Utah or Idaho, you can have some coverage their MultiPlan or PHCS benefits.

Select Health was created and is operated by the well-known Intermountain Healthcare organization. This hospital system was founded in 1975, and along the way Select Health was initiated. It has expanded to serve customers through a variety of health plans. Intermountain has a great customer service reputation, and this culture extends to its health insurance partner. Together, the two prize high-quality care.

Primarily, customers can contact Select Health through one of their main phone numbers (including numbers dedicated to member services) or a secure message form. What they don't clearly provide, however, is an email option or even a live chat feature. These would be good tools to add to their repertoire because some customers prefer to ask questions online. Otherwise, you have to make a call or wait for the company to respond to the message you sent through their portal.

Select Heath does have a helpful FAQs section, social media profiles, and even a company blog. All of these resources connect them to members and potential customers as well. Once you are a member with Select Health, of course, your resources leave little to be desired. This company has done an excellent job of providing members with almost any tool they would need to view benefits, file a claim, and even find advice for their health.

The Bad

• State Availability
  • Business Hours Only
  • Contact Options

State Availability

If you're a potential Select Health customer, you'll want to know that the company only provides insurance in Utah and Idaho.

Business Hours Only

Customers can only contact Select Health during certain business hours, not 24/7. Even though members can access their online portal 24/7, it would be nice to have the option to contact a representative, if needed, during the evening or early morning.

Contact Options

Select Health has a lot of phone numbers and a contact form, but they don't provide a clear email address or a live chat tool for customers and members to contact them.

The Bottom Line

The pros heavily outweigh the cons with Select Health. True, their service area is quite small, limited to only two states. And because of this, their customer base and network are much smaller, and they aren't available to most of the country. But as long as you live in one of these two states, this company carries the promise of positive customer service, a variety of health plans, and convenient tools such as paperless claims. That said, Select Health is a recommended option for health insurance. They are operated by a well-known hospital system in the Utah-Idaho area.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.2

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 12th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Select Health is very patient friendly. Not only do I have my own coverage from them, but I am also have a medical billing company and work with them on claims all the time. They are always friendly and easy to work with. Their claims processing is quick and easy to understand. The one thing I don’t love is that you have to get a new subscriber number anytime you change over to one of their different plans.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

They are always willing to answer any questions that you may have when it comes to your product!

Mitch Krull
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great company, good customer service, wish my company wouldn't have moved providers.

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Select Health is great. There are a lot of doctors in-network and the prices are a lot better than other insurance providers.

Angela Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Coverage is great for where we live now. We had it in before but no health care providers in that area we within the plan. Now we have great coverage, just feel like this company does not do a great job of getting coverage in all places.

Bob Hiatt
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Good medical plan. We have had this for several years and we have been happy with it.

Justin
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Not impressed with the value the value exchange. Overpriced, underserved. Total bogus

Mckinsey Harward
October 31st, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

So far so good. Although there are some things they say are covered but I end up getting charged for. Their customer service is great though.

cami harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have select health. I like the company so far and I like the dr.s that I have gone to.

Amy Leifi
October 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

For the most part, I've been very pleased with Select Health. Their customer service has been great - super helpful and knowledgeable when I've had to call them. Insurance is so expensive, and i wish I got more for my money, but that goes for all insurance companies.

Melanie Curtis
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I may not have Select Health now because the company my husband works for is with a different insurance but while I had it I enjoyed it! They offered a great network of doctors, were great to work with when filling a claim and I felt I never had to worry while having Select Health as our insurance.

James Randall
October 30th, 2018 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Great company (as far as insurance companies go). . .service is great, provider options are great. They have always gotten our bills paid relatively quickly and painlessly.

Dylan Curtis
October 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had this healthcare through previous employers and we enjoyed their service a lot. When my daughter broke her arm their coverage was a blessing as I would have been in trouble trying to pay for all of it myself.

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

SelectHealth is the number one choice for a Utah family. They have a good coverage network and some affordable plans. However, when signing up it is important to compare how you will use the coverage- if you don’t visit the doctor often you can go for a plan with higher copays and lower premiums. However, if your family gets sick a lot or you will have a lot of medical costs consider a plan with a higher deductible and lower copays. It really comes down to what your employer can provide. Their phone customer services is amazing and is open later than a typical work day so you can easily get quick answers to questions.

Heather
October 15th, 2018 Vernal, UT DETAILS

I have been a select health member for 2 years through my husband’s work. I am not completely satisfied with the amount of care I get compared to the cost I have to pay. I generally feel like I am overpaying and get under serviced. It cost me $1500 to visit the ER, and with my previous insurance it was only $200. I also wish there was more transparency in billing.

Melissa Gillings
September 25th, 2018 DETAILS

Wide variety of providers near me. We ran into a billing issue with one of our providers.... one quick call to customer service and they found that there was a code billing error, they quickly fixed the problem between the provider and Select Health! Everything was taken care of with one quick call!

Kimberly Maddock
September 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great coverage for health insurance. The providers are able to get their payments fast and easy. It has been the best insurance for me and my family.

Mark Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Not a big fan.... I went to insta care... they couldn’t verify my insurance... paid the entire amount... got a refund 2 years later! Called multiple times and just got the run around!

Jennifer Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

I’ve been pleased with our service until recently when I really needed to go to a special doctor who wasn’t in our network, they won’t help us. It’s a serious back problem and the options we have aren’t as good as we need. I’m disappointed.

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I love that there are more and more IHC hospitals popping up around the state. It makes going to the doctor so much more convenient, especially since making time to go to the doctor is not fun at all! So, now that I'm on select healths insurance it has opened up so many more options of facilities and doctors! Between me and mys kids we should have a standing appointment weekly!

Isaac Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Riverton, UT

They are a great company that will do anything to help you if you get stuck in a sticky situation.

Tracy
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have numerous medical problems and have always been able to have my bills taken care of in a timely manner. When I have had any issues come up, they have always been addressed professionally.

Amber Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We just switched to Select Health because the premiums were so cheap compared to other health insurances.

Tevita
September 12th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Select Health has always been good to us. They are our first choice with health insurance. Great customer service and very helpful.

Jo Lars
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been a Select Health member for years! I have always been treated fairly and with respect. The doctors that I prefer accept this health plan. My coverage is easy to understand and easy to use.

James Larson
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had Select Health for years and they have been good for our family. The only complaint I have is their insurance premiums. It seems every year the costs go up while the benefits go down.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

loyal customer for years. They have our physician and specialty physicians in network. the billing statements are easy to read. when i have spoken with the billing and customer service department they have all been very helpful and kind. explains my benefits very clearly. They mail you out a book of all the physicians covered under your plan. very helpful.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our insurance company. Offers us the best health/dental/FSA combo package. I have shopped around, but they are the best! The health plans are the cheapest that I have seen, but doesn't sacrifice quality.

Kim Miller
August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT

We know we are in good hands with Select Med. Great customer service and great providers.

Tualagi
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Select Health cares about people and offers financial assistance. They try everything they can to make sure we are happy and our questions have been answered. they want to make sure we understand our billing statement. Provider's listed with Select Health are the best and it shows.

Brian Slade
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

We've always been impressed by how they've handled claims in a timely manner.

Rory Henrie
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had the opportunity to use my health insurance several times. They take care of the billing like an insurance company is supposed to. They have made mistakes but are quick to explain and correct them. I would recommend.

J Paul Wright
August 27th, 2018 Central, UT

Select Health as my previous insurance provider. They were always easy to work with and were good at answering questions. We did have them refuse payment on some items, but generally were good, especially considering with had two children with cancer while insured with them.

Shanna
August 27th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

We've had this insurance for about 10 years. I've loved them and they've been great. We just hate that the premiums keep going up.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Its a popular insurance in the state of Utah. I only go to IHC physicians and hospitals and they accept this insurance. Everyone is always so helpful and pleasant when i talk to the billing department or looking for providers that are in network. Statements are readable and easy to understand. I also don't pay and arm and a leg monthly either to cover my entire family.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We used Select Health over 15 years ago but had to switch to another plan because employer chose a different company to use. We miss them. They had great coverage and supporting Dr's but that was 15 years ago. Not sure how they would compare now.

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

had this insurance for many years now and i have no complaints. statements are easy to read. billing department is helpful when i need someone to explain charges to me. physicians and surgeons all take this insurance.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Select Health has been my families insurance for 6 years now. we are very happy with the choice of physicians, hospitals, office co-pays, prescription cost that is covered through Select Health.

Maria
August 27th, 2018 Draper, UT

So far no problems with the insurance, but haven't needed to use it yet. Wish it had a vision benefit for contacts and our optometrist.

Rashida Laumatia
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Love Select Health. Always great customer service. Never takes me long to speak to someone. Also very Inexpensive.