Regence offers dental and vision insurance in addition to health insurance. Its health insurance offerings include Medicare and private insurance plans.

View Regence Reviews

Regence is owned by BlueCross BlueShield but is available only to customers in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and Utah. The company was founded in 1942 and was actually the first insurance company for Utah. Regence provides a variety of health care plans and member rewards.

#1 Oscar chevron_right
3.3
#2 BlueCross BlueShield chevron_right
3.6
#3 Cigna chevron_right
2.6

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

Unlike some health insurance carriers who provide practically every type of plan out there, Regence is a smaller insurer. It's one of the many subsidiaries of BlueCross BlueShield and has a smaller network (only four states large). The types of plans offered include PPOs, HMOs, and Medicare. Some plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Each plan-type has different rules regarding its provider network and cost sharing. PPO plans offer some cost-sharing for out-of-network providers, while HMO plans only cover care received from in-network providers.

However, Regence does not provide Medicaid or short-term health insurance plans. Regence directs customers seeking Medicaid services to its sister company called LifeMap.

Regence also does not offer its own vision or dental insurance. Again, Regence directs customers to LifeMap for dental plans. However, Regence does offer vision plans through four main vision insurance companies:

• EyeMed Vision Care
  • QualSight Lasik
  • TruVision
  • Standard Optical

As evidenced by the types of plans Regence offers, this is a smaller company with a smaller network than some health insurers. However, it still offers most of the common types of insurance plans that people need.

Regence functions under BlueCross BlueShield and work in tandem with their sister company, LifeMap, and these vision insurers to provide members with the insurance they need.

With any insurance plan, the costs will vary based on the the coverage offered, number of people on the plan, etc. Be sure to review the premiums, copay amounts, annual deductible, and out-of-pocket limit before you complete enrollment.

Member Resources

As a potential customer of Regence, you can shop for health plans on the company website and use a live chat feature or, of course, phone and email, to ask more detailed questions about each plan.

You can also use the company's Find a Doctor tool to see whether the doctor you currently see is in Regence's network.

After becoming a Regence member, you have access to many more resources. You can still find providers in the network and view patient reviews of providers. There's also a cost estimator, an explanation of the benefits on your plan, and downloadable forms for when you file a claim.

There's a member dedicated phone number, too. The member dashboard is what Regence calls the online patient portal. Through this, you can check the status of a claim you filed, check your deductible status and see more information about your benefits.

In addition, one of the features that makes Regence a 24/7 company is called Advice24, a live chat tool that connects you to an online nurse for any medical questions you might have, even outside of regular business hours.

Members are also rewarded for trying to get or stay healthy. If you take a health assessment offered by Regence and then track your activity to see if you're becoming healthier, Regence will reward you. Perks like these make Regence a member-friendly insurance company and keep you up-to-date on your account and your health.

Unique Features

Regence stands out as a health insurer for the amount of time it has been in business, and the BCBS background it shares. But there are several perks to having health insurance here aside from the company's reputation.

The "Shop Plans" link on the company's website leads you to more detailed information about the plans that Regence offers. After giving out your zip code, you can find out what insurance coverage is offered in your area and compare monthly premiums so that you can find affordable care and an affordable coverage plan.

Discount programs are in no short supply at Regence. This company can help set you up with a program for more typical health and wellness pursuits, like those for weight loss, hearing, vision, dental, or fitness. Regence also has connections for programs with infertility, pet care, funerals, allergies, and pediatrics. If one of these stands out to you, you can get involved with the program and hopefully pay less for the medical expenses that you already have in these areas.

Regence is a promoter of member health and provides these incentives to show you that. There are also benefits like health coaches, the 24/7 online nurse, and support for members who have chronic health problems.

Wellero is a convenient feature too. It's the name for Regence's mobile app and allows members to make payments even right after a doctor's visit. This might be an advantage if it prevents you from forgetting to make payments, and it keeps you connected to the status of your account.

Regence emphasizes the use of proper ethics, which translates into the way it does business and the way it treats its customers. Whether you're a member or not, Regence provides several lines of communication to get answers to your questions. As you would expect, you can email the company, call using one of the several phone numbers provided, and even mail in feedback or any forms you want to submit that way.

There is also a live chat option. Under the "Shop Plans" link on the company's homepage, you will find a link to the live chat tool, which you can use during regular business hours. This is really helpful for getting both basic and detailed information about the company's plans.

For members, there's also a dedicated phone number you can call with questions about your benefits or account. You can also use the 24/7 online nurse for questions that might come up at less convenient hours. Also to the company's credit, it provides several resources that explain what health insurance is, how a deductible works, the difference between the emergency room and urgent care, and more. These are terms we throw around a lot but may not fully understand.

Once you're paying for medical bills, however, it's crucial to know the difference. Providing educational resources like these are another way that Regence shows its customers that it prizes ethics, transparency, and the security of its customers. The company would do well to make their live chat feature a little more visible from the company home page.

Furthermore, it might help customers to know which plans they do and don't provide. You have to go looking to find this information out, and since Regence doesn't provide every type of health plan, you might waste time looking for this and then find out that Regence can't even provide what you need. This would enhance the customer service they provide. But on the whole, their customer service tools are helpful.

The Bad

• Location and Availability
  • Transparency
  • No Medicaid or Short-Term plans

Location and Availability

It's important to know right away that if you don't live in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, or Utah, then Regence isn't an option. You will have to find another insurer.
Regence's health plans cover only those areas, even though the parent company, BlueCross BlueShield, is much more widespread. That significantly limits the number of customers Regence can serve.

Transparency

Regence is upfront about the Medicare options it offers and it's easy to tell that its plans include PPOs, HMOs, and HSAs. However, it's hard to find the details about the plans offered without first providing your location and some basic personal information, like your date of birth. It's not unrealistic that your personal situation would determine your health plan options, but it would be nice if this information was a bit more accessible without disclosing your information.

No Medicaid or Short-Term Plans

Regence has a sister company called LifeMap, and this company takes care of Medicaid plans or dental plans. As for Regence itself, however, they do not offer standalone dental plans, Medicaid, or even short-term health insurance.

The Bottom Line

Regence provides good health insurance plan options for individuals living in Washington, Idaho, Utah, and Oregon. Regence has a lot to offer, especially for members. You'll have lots of resources to check a claim status, look up providers, pay medical bills, get medical advice, and more.

Regence is a great option for anyone in these states who need PPOs, HMOs, HSAs, or Medicare. If you're looking for short-term insurance or Medicaid, however, you need to look for a different company, since Regence doesn't provide these plans. For any customer who does work with Regence, it offers decades of experience in this industry.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

2.5

Jon Scoresby
October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

It was good to have Regence. We switched insurance providers and Regence picked up where we left of with our Drs.

Jennifer Stout
October 1st, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

So far no complaints. We’ve been with the company for about 4 months and they have been great to work with.

Kymberlee Yack
January 18th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

They have always been very helpful to us. My son had some complications so the bills were outrageously expensive and numerous. Regence Bluecross of Utah assigned us a representative to help us through the whole thing. I can always count on Regence to sort the problems out when I need them to. They are great to work with.

Rischelle Mikkelson
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Regence is a good carrier and easy to work with on claims. They have a good network of doctors and I like that they have nationwide coverage so I can see a doctor even if I am traveling.

Steve Chadwick
November 19th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Regence is a good company at taking your money and denying claims. I am up to 7 appeals now. I pay $26,000 a year for this insurance and it is the worst I have experience. I now have a gov't appointed advocate because I am sick and tired of all the lies they tell me. They change their story every week of what is happening. I have nothing good to say about this company.

Cody Enslow
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I’ve found a lot of dentists and doctors that were great to work with very close to my area. Copays were very low as well.

Amanda Freeman
October 31st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

contracts with a wide variety of doctors and hospitals - plenty of options. Decent customer service

Alex Newhouse
October 8th, 2018 Granger, WA DETAILS

My family of 4 pays Regence Blue Shield about $1400 a month for coverage. We have almost a $13,000 deductible. I have serious asthma and absolutely need some medications to survive. They pay for none of it. My wife had to have an emergency D&C, they refused to pay for any of it and we nearly went bankrupt. We basically pay 1400 a month for Regence to negotiate our medical bills down and pay nothing towards them. And they do this limited action only when the provider is in network, even if the procedure is something like an emergency D&C. Why do I need to pay Regence 1400 a month to negotiate my bills down and pay nothing? I can do that! Regence Blue Shield as a company is immoral, disgusting, ridiculous, and cares nothing about people. As a conservative, I now support a single payer system. Regence Blue Shield has show me the light. It has shown me the true intentions and nature of the health insurance industry and their soulless lobbyists. I, along with MANY others in my community, will be dropping Regence Blue Shield at open enrollment in favor of personal health savings accounts. At least we can use what we pay in and negotiate on our own terms. Congress - democrats and republicans - and the insurance industry is where the blame needs to be placed. The more people drop health insurance the more health insurance companies and the health care industry will struggle to survive, and this is the only way Americans can fight back now. Join me.

Sarah Ava
September 12th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Our family of five has been insured through Regence for the past four years and we haven’t had any issues with them. Easy access to information through their app, low premiums, helpful customer service when needed and a large variety of doctors and places for care.

james coe
March 26th, 2018 Corvallis, OR DETAILS

for two years love it , then BAMN couldn't even get a case manager as before . customer service went from great to just crap . i tried to file a grievance and was ignored for a month with no wheelchair replacement . they even sent a letter to say wheelchair company meant their standards . only thing i suffered without one and attempted a grievance as suggested on my care plan so no they didn't meet standards besides they used to be Oregon now some snip in salt lake city was telling me there are no grievances BULL . DOJ has disagreed with Regence anf now going after wheelchair company i has 3 days before open enrollment closed wish now i had changed meds i am on have been covered for 2 years all of a sudden they demanded neccisity letter for my doc never again i will fight until next enrollment too bad they were good until then DONT DO IT DONT JOIN

Huntington
January 8th, 2018 Vancouver, WA DETAILS

They were all too happy to cash the $1800 check for insurance and send me an email explaining my coverage and that it was active, but then when I went to doctors office I was told I didn't have insurance and my appointment was cancelled. This all happened because whoever types in policy number felt like taking a break and was "behind schedule" and therefore it shows I didn't have insurance. This was a really important appointment and because you all are LAZY I now have to wait. No one took responsibility and no one apologized or tried to make it right!!!! There is going to come a time where health insurance companies will not be allowed to hold us hostage and dictate our health. I forgot the part where you need an M.D. to work at a health Insurance company.

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I had Regence all my life and they are pretty good. I have never had problems with them. Their costumer service is always helpful and quick. They are kind of expensive though.

Chelsea Stewart
June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My husband had this insurance a few years ago and came down with an unexpected case of Meningitis. Regence kept giving the hospital the run around concerning billing and payment. We thought we had everything resolved until 3 YEARS LATER they sent us a bill for an additional $1,000 they wanted us to pay for the meningitis. We tried talking to the hospital about, we tried talking to the insurance about it, they were TERRIBLE, so unhelpful, basically just demanding we pay something we thought was completely resolved. Finally we found someone at the Hospital who told us what they were doing was illegal and they helped us to resolve the situation. We are so happy to be off of Regence and with Select Health.

Wendy Morgan
February 2nd, 2017 La Center, WA

Obtained insurance with need to stay with my Neuroligist after Husbands retirement. Neuros practice is at OHSU. The specialist is in network, but where he provides service is not covered. Leaving me without my much needed treatment that I've been on for 3 years for MS. through Blue Cross Blue Shield Texas!

Derek Sutherland
November 27th, 2016

Regence online support is a very frustrating service. I am often locked out of my account and unable to get in contact with any phone support as their hours are poor. I would not use regence if I were the purchaser.

Jennifer Perry
September 6th, 2016 Providence, UT

After marginally covering a bill, to which they only applied their "allowed" amount to deductible and out if pocket costs, they sent me a bill asking for money back. I'm not the only one they have done this too.

Kelly Warren Szymanski
August 7th, 2016 Hood River, OR

Regence will not cover my diabetic medication Januvia until my deductible is met. This medicine is over $400 per month.