Oscar

7.2

Joanne El Segundo, CA

DO NOT PROVIDE PHYSICAL THERAPY anywhere acceptable close to me (Los Angeles) I switched to Oscar from Blue Shield at the beginning of the year because Blue Shield premiums skyrocketed all of a sudden (we all know why). It was the only other insurance UCLA accepted from the self-insured ones. I thought it was good that they covered UCLA and USC doctors, which are research facilities and more trustworthy. However, I did not check their physical therapy network. It is horribly slim. UCLA has offices in many parts of LA, but their physical therapists are only around Santa Monica and central LA. I have a back injury, and cannot travel far for physical therapy: I don't drive and cannot sit long in a car. The closest physical therapist they gave me was 14 miles away in Santa Monica. Driving 14 miles into Santa Monica means sitting in a car for 45-60 min because of horrible traffic. By the time I would get there I would be in too much pain to do any exercises, and it would add up quite a lot with Uber ($45 for round trip), plus 1.5 hours gone a day that I could be working. You see a physical therapist more often than a doctor who could be farther for that one time check-up. This is not acceptable. I wrote to request I see the physical therapist I've used in the past who is 1.5 miles away and who knows my issues, but was denied because they are not in their network. This is a normal price physical therapy facility which accepts every insurance out there (but Oscar who they said wouldn't even return their phone calls and forced another patient of theirs to go 70 miles away for physical therapy). Yes, I understand what "in-network" means, and I agreed to it when I signed up, but I didn't imagine their network would be so poor. I am going to follow with the state and submit and IMR report, and may end up paying out of pocket to see my local physical therapist (which is the same as not having insurance and worse than having stayed with the more expensive Blue Shield). _____________________________________ Separately, I read the comment on the blood panel. Yes, Oscar did not cover my Vitamin D and calcium panels because those were not considered preventive. This at a time when Americans are largely suffering from a Vitamin D deficiency. __________________________________ Other than this I have been happy with their bill paying and letters regarding bills sent. That part of the insurance company works well. But if they don't cover physical therapy in a way that is manageable or acceptable, it is useless to have.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Joanne, we’re sorry to hear you’re frustrated with your experience. Due to privacy laws we’re unable to discuss any specifics related to your health information or claims here. We partner with a curated network of providers built around systems whose goal, like ours, is to keep costs down and provide a better experience for our members with excellent quality of care. Our full network of providers is searchable on our site at , but our Concierge team is also always happy to help you find in-network options. If you’d like to be connected with your team, please DM us your member ID number and we’ll have them reach out. Oscar follows the US Preventive Services Task Force guidelines. Services that are not deemed preventive by these standards – such as Vitamin D and calcium tests – are covered by your plan but subject to lab cost sharing. If you have any questions about these topics or anything else, please feel free to call us anytime at 855-OSCAR-55 or send a message via the app.

Jul. 9th, 2018

Amanda

My daughter was seeing a speech therapist prior to joining Oscar. We live in the big city of Austin and there is not one speech therapist with Oscar. When I contacted customer service about getting approved the the therapist she was already seeing and knew given there were no therapists in Austin, they told me I had to drive to TEMPLE (over an hour away) twice a week. I work so this is not a possibility. I would have to take off half a day everytime. So in the crucial point in development my only option is wait until Oscar can find a speech therapist in Austin to contract with or pay out of pocket to get less time with a therapist.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Amanda, we're sorry to hear this. We're always working on growing our provider networks to best serve our members. Due to privacy laws this isn't something we can help with directly here, but your concierge team will continue to work with you to find the best option for you and your daughter. If you'd like, feel free to message us your Oscar ID number here and we'll be happy to have someone from our team look into this further.

Apr. 3rd, 2018

Ric La Quinta, CA

Affiliation with UCLA Healthcare provides access to esteemed professionals and renowned full-spectrum services, for whole body Wellness. Top-5 Network, urgent care coverage, seamless billing, non-referral, Wearable incentive, "24/7 Doctor on Call"; a no-brainer.

PJ Brooklyn, NY

Oscar has paid per the terms of my insurance for some visits/procedures, but for others, refuses to pay for ridiculous reasons. With regard to one specialist, I checked the Oscar website before my visit to make sure she was listed as in-network, and her receptionist confirmed that she was in network at the time of my visit. Oscar then denied the claim, saying that the provider was out of network. I pointed the customer service rep to their website, and they eventually admitted that the provider was, in fact, in-network and the claim was covered. Now, more than three months after the visit, they are now claiming that, while the provider is in-network now, she wasn't at the time of the visit, even though their website plainly listed her as a provider at the time. With regard to the other specialist, an ophthalmologist, I also checked to make sure the provider was in-network before my visit. Oscar, however, denied coverage for the eye exam performed by the doctor on the grounds that eye exams are not covered by their policy, although this is nowhere stated in their policy. I have appealed this decision, but I have no doubt that Oscar will continue to deny coverage for whatever reason they can make up.

Kas Bradenton, FL

You will sacrifice your health with this cheap company. Despite having one of the most expensive plans- I haven't been able to get medicine that enables me to exist. I'm about to have to deal with bleeding feet because they don't want to help me. Your bank account is important to them. Not your health. Live short and suffer is their motto.

Reply from Oscar

Kas, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

May. 27th, 2022

Shirin Richardson, TX

Just look at the oscar's reply to messages here and you can assess how is this company. They don't even ask your full name or Oscar ID. They just send a general message to everyone that soon someone will contact you, and of course they never do! In my case after 4 months!! HORRIBLE INSURANCE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reply from Oscar

Shirin, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

May. 19th, 2022

Scott Moldenhauer Rockford, IL

Very limited doctor selections, especially orthopedics. Also, when I considered Oscar, I called to make sure that they cover people out of state. They said yes. I did have an out-of-state need and they said "no coverage." I will be switching plans next year.

Reply from Oscar

Scott, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 29th, 2022

Morgan Omaha, NE

Awful! Coming from a provider's office. Not a single person working here knows what they're doing. They deny authorizations for bogus reasons & charge their patients ridiculously high co-payments. Don't let the "no deductible" fool you! They will screw you over

Reply from Oscar

Morgan, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 8th, 2022

Hannah Kroff Round Rock, TX

They were great 2 years ago. Now it is the worst experience of my life. The team is not properly trained. I was preauthorized for speech therapy for my kid, then after 3 months was told all my claims were denied for being out of network. THOUSANDS of dollars charged that they won't cover because the negligence of the

Reply from Oscar

Hannah, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Mar. 31st, 2022

Lila B. North Hollywood, CA

I'd recommend any other health insurance over Oscar - the headaches they cause will leave you medicated for life. I got bloodwork done in December of 2020 through Quest which is in network and was told and I have on record from Oscar that this bloodwork would be only a $20 copay. Quest has been billing me random amounts ranging from $100 to $167 for the last 17 months now and each time I reach out to Oscar, they lie to me and say they are taking care of it. SEVENTEEN MONTHS! I got another bill today so I'll write a bad review every time I catch them in a lie.

Reply from Oscar

Lila, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Mar. 8th, 2022

Hongtao Chen Edmond, OK

Not suggest Oscar for insurance. I have couple doctor visits first for cough and second for annually physical check up. And both denied by insurance. The reason for denied because my health provider submit with a code but Oscar don't accept and i talk to my provider said that's the way they submit all claims for all other insurance company and only Oscar being picky.. Highly not recommend

Reply from Oscar

Hongtao, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Feb. 28th, 2022

Jennifer Walton Erie, CO

Oscar is the same or worse than any other health insurance company. They are completely non-responsive in the app, and installed a series of uninformed, discriminatory roadblocks in the approval process for basic supplies, causing a crisis for access to what I need. Pre-authorizations are a joke - they have no plan to actually authorize anything I need. Their "stellar" reputation will rapidly be overshadowed by their mess of a system, uninformed pharmacy reps, and inability to help patients get the care and supplies they need. I'd give zero stars if possible.

Reply from Oscar

We are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Feb. 15th, 2022

Lawrence Robins New York, NY

Do not get Oscar insurance. They take way too long to pay the claims. It doesn't matter how large the claim is. I've had to call 5 times to have them pay a claim for less than a $100. Also I had an ongoing dispute with them with them that every single customer service rep agreed with me and escalated it but with no positive results.. They just yes you to death.

Feb. 15th, 2022

encino circle Austin, TX

Oscar care team has extreme difficulty understanding the Oscar medical insurance policies and the benefits provided under their plans. They can't answer simple questions about what is covered. You have to provide them with actual billing codes or they can't tell you even basic coverage information. Even when you do provide billing codes, they still can't provide accurate information about what the benefits are under their own plans. I have spent hours on the phone with the customer care team trying to educate them about basic medical services to no avail. They simply don't know, and the information they do provide is nonsensical. This is a problem that happens over and over. Luckily most doctor's offices have a billing coordinator who knows more about Oscar's plans than Oscar does.

Reply from Oscar

Encino, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Dec. 7th, 2021

Cianna Schott College Station, TX

My experience with Oscar was far from good. I had a horrible experience with them as my provider. The app was great and the customer service representatives were always nice individuals but did not have a consensus or the same training. It took me OVER a YEAR to receive reimbursement for an out-of-pocket charge (that one of their representatives recommended I pay out of pocket and just fill out a reimbursement form for). Every time I called and spoke to a representative I had to tell the story all over again and they seemed to have difficulty finding my information, meaning they must not keep good records on their end. Many of their customer service representatives would tell me different things; one would say the check was in the mail then the following week I would call back to find out it still had not been mailed. No one took charge to follow up and make sure the claim was being processed, I had to always be the one to initiate anything and call them! Overall, I would not recommend using Oscar as your provider, you are better off searching elsewhere even if it means paying a little more it will be WORTH IT!

Dec. 3rd, 2021

Carol WIlliams Pompano Beach, FL

On oscar website/app you CAN'T read reviews of the Nurse Practioners nor can you directly message them. Also it is false advertisement -- you DO NOT have 24/7 access to DOCTORS nor NURSES. I actually enjoyed my first virtual visit with Astrid herself, I did. She was pleasant,empathetic, understanding,patient and took a very detailed thorough history, it was not rushed. It was everything that followed after the virtual visit that made Oscar Virtual visit a complete NIGHTMARE. A long story & 4 horrible encounters with both Oscar Virtual Care AND Quest. I could never recommend ANYONE to Oscar virtual visit— unless they are going to offer virtual therapy for people on this.: 1) You cannot directly contact your NP if you have any issues after the visit, meaning you cannot even message NP, but they can message you and end the consultation chat right after they send their message- It is very impersonal. this is a VIRTUAL health service- you should be able to send TEXT message to your NP after a visit, I understand not being able to CALL. 2) I spent an entire WEEK after reaching out to horrible customer service ( the same night I had the virtual visit) on Oscar to hear back from her. 3) She had accidentally made an incorrect diagnosis & lab order for me, which I could see in my chart- also causing UNNECESSARY blood tests to be ordered for me automatically—this is a human error due to the electronic health system(EHS) and it’s common, so to me ok no big deal-however when i finally got in contact with her a WEEK after re:incorrect diagnosis and incorrect labs ordered & she communicated well with me re: that and said she took it off—it was NOT OFF when i went to Quest labs (that is what the lab technician communicated to me). 4) She did not tell me I had to FAST for my labs— so first visit to Quest labs I booked my appointment, made my entire busy schedule around this appointment, only to my surprise they told me I could not do any of the lab test as I did not fast—I was Never communicated that and it was a complete waste of my time,energy ,money & outright inconsiderate. She is not even completely to blame to be fair- because I attempted to contact Quest labs & i could not - it sent me through this loop of call centres & I could not even contact the lab to ask them if i should fast for this lab or not—because i actually did do my due diligence as a patient and called to see if I needed to fast—could not get onto anyone—not quest labs OR oscar health care team. 4) I rescheduled my labs (& the appointments are FAR away), fasted & went again for the 2nd time to Quest labs—only to find out AFTER they took my bloods—that the 2nd lab order my NP made—was NOT in Quest labs system. They said she did not send it over— i showed them my phone with the order in oscar app and they still denied. I called oscar— they also denied it being their fault. Nobody wanted to be accountable & only the patient suffers.I spent literally 2 hours at Quest labs trying to sort this out with Oscar health care team by calling them and waiting an half hour, having to ask for a supervisor for them to simply FAX over my 2nd lab request form to Quest labs. And the lab wanted to stick me again --heck no. Is this how customer service and treatment of patients is? Disconnected, inconsiderate, detached and blatantly unreliable and DISORGANISED. I’m appalled. I would ONLY use virtual oscar care out of sheer desperation & due to my very busy schedule. And I need to follow up with my lab results. There are too many negative factors in this & Oscar & Quest really have a lot of work to do when it comes to good customer service, efficiency and collaboration. I’ve never experienced such a HORRID entire experience with health care providers in my life. I will stick to the traditional route of going in person to see a medical doctor and use the lab at that doctor’s office. Unless as I said, desperate & “convenience”. The irony of this is all is it was NOT convenient and it does not have modern VIRTUAL features. Again, this isn’t totally Astrid’s fault— i’m sure many people have great experiences with her and she remained polite & professional with me, I was referred to her by my sister who had no issues I had with her, Oscar or Quest. This just is not for me & these series of events were too awful to ignore. Good luck.

Reply from Oscar

Carol, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Nov. 9th, 2021

Crickett San Antonio, TX

I am so frustrated with Oscar I am in tears! I have a rare condition that has caused my shoulder bone to implode on itself. Where I should have a ball and socket I have a small square is shaped part on the end of my shoulder bone which just bangs around inside the socket and pops in and out of socket all day long. To say this is painful is a massive understatement. I can’t use my right arm at all, it even hurts just to put my palm face up. I am scheduled for shoulder replacement surgery tomorrow morning however it has still not been approved! They first said that they denied it because they didn’t have any information on why I needed it, (lie #1), my doctor had sent all of the clinicals with the original request. My doctor sent an appeal with all the clinicals again, they said it didn’t say “expedite “ ( lie #2) so they didn’t plan to review it for at least two weeks, knowing that my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. My doctor sent another request this time making sure it said urgent across the front of the page. Then I’m told that the information wasn’t enough, they needed to do a peer to peer (lie #3)! My doctor called me and I called three-way with Oscar and then let the doctor and Oscar schedule the peer to peer but Oscar said the earliest he could get the peer to peer was 8:00 AM on Tuesday! My surgery was scheduled for 8 AM on Tuesday! My surgeon has pushed my surgery back to 10:30 in the hopes that the peer to peer will happen and I will have it approved in time to do the surgery at 10:30. I do not have high hopes for this, so far Oscar has not proven to be very trustworthy and seem to be doing everything they can to prevent me from having this much needed surgery. I was later told that I didn’t need a peer to peer, they could review it and approve it with the information they had but because the peer to peer was already scheduled they couldn’t cancel it and couldn’t approve it until the peer to peer had been done! I am so afraid that I will be at the hospital waiting to check in only to be told that Oscar once again “needs more information “. If this happens I will contact the Better Business Bureau and possibly Consumer Affairs. Even a nurse from Oscar said “this is ridiculous” but couldn’t help me either. I am the night before surgery crying and scared because of Oscar when I should be preparing for my upcoming surgery, I just don’t trust them to do the right thing because they have gone out of there way to not cover this urgently required surgery.

Reply from Oscar

Hi, Crickett, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated. Our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message so that we may look into this for you.

Oct. 26th, 2021

Pete Jensen Queens, NY

Providers in my area hate working with Oscar & I would say they even treat me poorly because they think their insurance plans are a joke. On several occasions I’ve had to change doctors because their offices dropped Oscar after bad experiences. Most recently, after spending many hours trying to find an in network doctor for my injured foot, and doing all the necessary steps virtually w Oscar, it took 2 months to get an appointment with someone who actually accepts Oscar. Oscar told me the copay would be waived, but they lied. I paid $250 out of pocket for a crappy doctor who didn’t even x-ray the foot. So, basically for nothing. Oscar told me the labs for yearly blood tests would be waived & Quest Diagnostics said they never got paid & they reported me to credit bureaus & my credit score went down because of this 80$ unpaid lab. Oscar is seriously terrible. They don’t cover anything. They have polite reps to make you think you’re in good hands, but my health has worsened because I can’t get care through Oscar. I’ve paid them over $40,000 the last 5-6 years & have barely used them for anything but when I need care, it’s impossible, they don’t cover, I pay out of pocket, and spend hours doing the paperwork to no avail. THEY ARE A CRIMINALLY DISHONEST COMPANY. I feel stupid for paying them every month & will switch at the new year. Please, for your own sake, find a different insurance company

Reply from Oscar

Hi, James - We are sorry to hear this. Our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message from our tam so that we may look into this for you.

Oct. 4th, 2021

Sallie Mission Viejo, CA

THE WORST COMPANY EVER !! STAY AWAY FROM THEM AS THEY ARE CARELESS AND RUDE. My daughter is two years old and had a nasolacrimal duct probing and dacroplasty which was unsuccessful and per her prediatric ophthalmologist she has to do a second surgery to remove tossue scars and redo it and its a precedure done only by ocuplastic surgeon. I have researched ocuplastic surgeons in southern california who can do this on my two year old baby and only one doctor in UCI is able to do it for kids on her age. However oscar has an agreement with another doctor and the doctor we found was out of network . They told us that we can see an out of network provider if they open a case whoch took them 75 days to decide to Deny us from seeing him and they rather send us to a butcher eye doctor who does surgeries on all body parts and not just eyes and the doctor they referred us to does not have specialty for seeing toddlers but since he wants to charge our insurance he said he can. Oacar tols us we can weote our appeal and god knows how long that would take to be reviewed. My daughter's eye have been infected twice and the longer we wait it will be critical to do the surgery at all. My last call we were told that they can not even let us do the surgery. The doctor they referred has the worst rating and is the only one in whole southern california that is in network with them!! ACREW OSCAR AND ALL ITS HEARTLESS STAFF AND EMPLOYEES AND CARELESSS PEOPLE WHO PLAY OUR LIVES.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Sally, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. Please check your inbox for a message from our team.

Sep. 29th, 2021

JTNYC Queens, NY

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June and need to have a double mastectomy to cure my condition. Typically this procedure requires a one night stay in the hospital. Oscar denied pre-authorization for my surgery saying that it’s an ambulatory procedure and should be release the same day. What’s terrifying about this that in the event of a complication at home, such as a blood clot, I have to take myself to a hospital and rush further danger to my health. My doctor is currently appealing on my behalf but it’s horrific that I she to worry about insurance covering a needed survey during a serious health scare. I feel like they care more about saving money than my health or my life.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. Please check your inbox for a message from our team.

Sep. 17th, 2021

Dcool2128 Aurora, CO

My family of four pays over $1400 a month. Here's what we get. My wife had thyroid cancer and removal years ago. We've never had issue with insurance paying for her ongoing testing until Oscar. Her recent blood work showed elevated levels requiring further testing and a scan to determine where the cancer cells are. Oscar denied it. Not only was it denied but we were told to set up a peer to peer call with her doctor to do an appeal and Oscar refused to even do the call. They refused a peer to peer call even though we were told that we should have her doctor make that call. Over $1400 per month and they won't even connect with her physician to discuss the need for the testing. How much are they going to cover for chemo when she needs it since they won't pay for the scan to help stop it now?

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we apologize for this experience. Please check your DMs for a message from one of our team members.

Mark Osborn San Antonio, TX

Oscar has lied and manipulated it’s way out of covering medical expenses they told me they would cover prior to treatment. I am working with TDI to have issues resolved and now working to file a lawsuit. Oscar has a history of deceptive practices and has faced a major class action lawsuit before and they were found guilty of wrong doing. Many doctors in San Antonio, very good doctors, do not accept Oscar anymore because they are so difficult to work with. My doctor dropped them and when I went to a new doctor recommended through the Oscar app for an annual physical, the doctor found a way to manipulate the codes so I was charged for my free annual physical and Oscar refused to reimburse. Great places like Texas Med Clinic and Walgreens don’t work with Oscar anymore either. Their customer service reps are trained like dogs to be as polite as possible but they lie for Oscar and are useless in resolving real issues. You’ll hit a wall fast with customer service when you have a real issue and if you happen to talk to a rep on the phone, you’ll be able to tell that they are mostly decent people who agree with you and know what Oscar is doing is wrong but they have to stick to their script, even the managers. My advice is stay far away from this company.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Mark, we apologize for this experience. Please check your DMs for a message from one of our team members.

RichardK Lithonia, GA

I recently had to have back surgery, including all of the MRI's, etc leading up. Everything was approved by Oscar, and I assumed all would be handled professionally. I had to pay my portion up from to the Surgeon. They filed the claim over 3 months ago and it continues to be denied by Oscar for a myriad of reasons, none valid. As a result, I am out of pocket a significant amount more than I am supposed to be, with no end in sight. I also had to get an MRI and called on the day of, and was told that it was not yet approved, and I could pay out of pocket and then file a reimbursement form to receive my payment back. This was filed the over 4 months ago, and still no resolution. They now have told me to send a letter to the imaging center asking them to reverse the payment and process the insurance claim. What a major RUN AROUND from this insurer.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Richard, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please check your DMs for a message from one of our team members.

Theresa School Jacksonville, FL

The website is very easy to navigate. If I had a complaint it would be that some services are not covered or very hard to get approved. The copay of coinsurance could be a little bit cheaper too!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Theresa, thank you for your kind words and for sharing your insights with us. We understand that keeping costs low is important to our members. Our plan design team is always looking for ways to bring reduced health care services to you. We'll make sure our team gets this feedback.

Aug. 24th, 2021

Richard Esposito Lindenhurst, NY

you make it impossible to get the simplest of treatments i needed gel shots for my knees you made it impossible for my dr. i provided a list of things you wanted done first and still denied me no other insurance co.makes people go through hoops like you do especially for this

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please check your inbox for a message from our team.

Aug. 24th, 2021

John Robillard

Sorry can not give less than 1 star rating. Had x ray for shoulder pain in February 2021, bill was denied, contacted Oscar said in process of being reviewed, last contact said could take up to 30 days to resolve it is now past 30 days. That message stated they had verified it was an in network provider (talking about an excuse that should have been a no brainer all they had to do is look at their own website as they are listed as a in network provider for the last 2 years) As a result of the x ray I had to have blood tests as they found a lesion on my scapula bone that could possibly be cancerous, I have now received a bill from Quest Diagnostics they verified the lab test have not been paid.

Reply from Oscar

Hi John, we apologize for this experience. Please check your DMs for a message from one of our team members.

Jun. 24th, 2021

Kevin Hughes Brandon, FL

I've had Oscar for over a year. not normally a sick person. I went to a doctor 2x in that first year. Unfortunately, I just had a heart attack. Initial determination from oscar is denied due to "no specific information about my condition" from the hospital. I called the hospital and they said they replied to the insurance company with "all that they requested" so now I guess I can expect a big 200,000 bill from the Hospital as well as some bills from the doctors I've seen. I have been in contact with oscar more than a dozen times and it is clearly marked on the bills I've gotten that I had a heart attack and catheterization surgery. Seems like oscar is becoming what a lot of the reviews say, namely a scam. I will continue to reach out to the Concierge to see if I can get this fixed. I really don't need this stress and another heart attack over it.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Kevin, thank you for your review. We are incredibly sorry to hear about your experience! A team member is following up with you over DM to learn more and see how we can assist.

May. 27th, 2021

Kristy Shields Spring, TX

Would leave a NO STAR if we could. Were a self-employed small law firm in Texas and Kansas, pay our premium on time monthly. OSCAR health insurance is simply horrible at paying claims. Very, very limited access to doctors as well. Were cancelling after two years for our family of four. We've given them more than ample opportunity to correct problems and pay unpaid bills. They simply don't pay, leaving you with collection notices from providers and headaches to deal with. For $1,600/month, that's what we got: headaches and unpaid bills. And these were small bills. Can't imagine if OSCAR was actually presented with a catastrophic loss claim. Avoid this Co. like the plague. From a Very Unsatisfied Customer

Reply from Oscar

Hi Kristy, thank you for your review. A team member is following up with you over DM to learn more about your experience.

Apr. 23rd, 2021

Daniel Fuerman Blairsville, PA

I have had to wait over a month to get a prior authorization for a medication I have been taking for 3 years for my Crohn's Disease. As a result of Oscars denials I had to miss a dose of my medication and run the risk of building antibodies due to Oscars thrifty negligence. Now because Oscar refuses to honor the principle of a deductible I have had to wait three months to see a Physical therapist for a problem I have been experiencing for the past year. What's the point of having health insurance and paying nearly $500 a month to be a member of a club that doesn't provide access to healthcare? My insurance card is nothing more than a very expensive wallet paperweight. This is the final straw. I am very disappointed with Oscar and couldn't have had a worse experience. Oscar has lost me as a customer. I hope the scamming and penny pinching was worth it.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Daniel, we are sorry to hear about this experience. Please DM us with your Oscar ID number here on Best Company and we can escalate this issue to our team. You may also include any outstanding questions you may have that we can share with our help experts to help you get clarification.

Mar. 16th, 2021

Tina Roberts Anaheim, CA

I was an Oscar member for 2 years and have cancelled my coverage because of my displeasure with them. Pros: affordable plans, easy-to-use app, 24 hour teledoc appointments, Amazon/Calm perks Cons: limited number of covered doctors. My biggest complaint is that they drop doctors at-will, and they do not notify you before your appointment. This happened to me twice, and now they are claiming that I owe them for an out of network appointment even though the provider was covered at the time that I made the appointment. I have had to spend hours with Oscar concierge over the phone trying to work out these problems. It has been a major headache. I do not recommend Oscar to anyone.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Tina, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our team would like to learn more about your experience to see what may have occurred. Please check your inbox as one of our team members has followed up to learn more.

Jan. 12th, 2021

Vishal Bagchi Dallas, TX

What a joke of an insurance, the "online dr" is a complete joke, they can't really do anything. These companies are on marketplace are here for 1-2 years, they make their money before people realize what a scam this is. There isn't a single doctor that is covered, my physician friend that was listed under this plan as a primary care and he said he never heard of them or had any communication from oscar. Worse of all they sent several emails on "free covid test" i got a covid test and got a $60 bill because oscar didn't pay and i even went to CVS that was listed as covered. When i called them oscar said CVS was using a non-FDA approved covid test. By the time people figure out this is a scam oscar would have gone out of business. I hate to see my Tax dollars go towards scams like this and I am really upset that market place doesn't do its research on companies like OSCAR. They seem to cover everything and everyone only on paper, in reality they don't really cover anything and are in the business of denying claims. Lucky my wife and I are healthy humans that workout and eat right and don't really need insurance except catastrophic coverage which god forbid ever happened, but best believe it would have been a battle for oscar to pay.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Vishal, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. A member of our team has followed up with you over direct message so that we my investigate these concerns further and also help you find an in-network provider in your area.

Jan. 12th, 2021

Alley Cat Los Angeles, CA

It started out good with good prices and great provider options. 3 years in it's just as expensive but has 0 good providers. Every single decent hospital in Los Angeles is off limits --you are forced into sub-standard care. Also their billing/admin is horrendous. Nice people, but completely incompetent. I ended up spending hours on the phone to correct their errors which were labyrinthian, it boggled the mind. And their concierge service is a joke--another entire day spent trying to get a video appointment with a pediatrician that despite literally hours of calls and additional applications, never came to fruition. It was literally like a bad dream. Never again. Typical--starts out great to suck you in then quickly deteriorates into a low-level option.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. Please know that we take your feedback seriously. A member of our team will reach out to you via direct message so that we may learn more.

Nov. 24th, 2020

sylvia rendon San Antonio, TX

Was glad to have Oscar Insurance as I experienced an accident and had to utilize my medical insurance. They processed timely and I was able to see the discount of services by using in-network providers

Reply from Oscar

Hi Sylvia, thank you for sharing! We're glad we were able to assist you.

Oct. 23rd, 2020

Chris Morrow Flower Mound, TX

I live in Dallas. Their web find a doctor didn't work for a simple ENT doctor (only eight showed up and the first two I called were listed by mistake) so I had to call customer support. They could not find one while I waited and then didn't get back to me for three days. ...after I started messaging! Then they sent a "list" ...with one doctor on it ...40 city miles away!! You think I'm going to drive two hours to go see some smuck that was stupid enough to be the only one that takes this insurance in all of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex?? I called. The co-pay for a smuck visit is $90. What good is insurance? Pssh!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Chris, thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we apologize for this experience. Our team will be reaching out to you via DM to help you find the right care in your area.

Oct. 16th, 2020

Emily Nashville, TN

Terrible customer service - were of no help when I was surprised to find out that my policy had been terminated. I was never made aware a payment had failed until I received a letter in the mail. And by then, the “grace period” (which should have been longer considering the fact that we’re in the middle of a world wide HEALTH pandemic) had already passed it was too late for me to make the proper payment. Had I been made aware properly I would have gone directly to take care of it. Instead I am now out of insurance for the rest of the year. First and last time to ever use Oscar. Save yourself the trouble and find a different provider.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Emily, we want to apologize for this experience. Our team will be following up with you via direct message to learn more about the issue and escalate this to our help experts.

Jul. 23rd, 2020

Hannah Plano, TX

I absolutely loved Oscar. Unfortunately, there were no doctors in the area I moved to that took this insurance. This was confusing, since I’d see billboards all over the city for it. I just wish it had been as prevalent in DFW as it was in San Antonio, but because it isn’t, I had to cancel.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Hannah, we're sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that our team is consistently evaluating our partnerships with providers to ensure our members have access to care in all of our markets. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Cheryl Los Angeles, CA

Very happy with everything: service is good, pricing is good, and we have been able to find service providers in our area for all of our needs. Highly recommend.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Cheryl, we're so happy to hear that! Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions.

L L3 San Antonio, TX

As health insurance Oscar has been the best one I have ever had. Customer service is fantastic and the app helps me find dr in my area and more about my policy.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help.

BPM Española, NM

This insurance is worthless. I was traveling and needed to have a prescription refilled. I used their telemedicine option, I believe it’s called Teledoc, to speak to a doctor after waiting 3 days. The doctor sent the prescription into the only pharmacy I could choose on the app which was an hour away from where I am located. I’m traveling at the moment, so I decided it was my only option. I saw that I had a message from Oscar and I assumed it was an email saying “your prescription has been sent to so and so location” but it was an email saying that the doctor had tried to contact me and couldn’t reach me so my case had been closed. They sent this email on Wednesday. I spoke with the doctor from Teledoc, THURSDAY, after my request was closed. I was confused. So I drove to the clinic they had listed (keep in mind this is the nearest one an hour away) and they sent me to a clinic that DIDN’T EVEN HAVE A PHARMACY!!! When I called the “concierge” (what a joke) the three that I talked to had no idea what this third party service had even done. They couldn’t get in contact with Teledoc and had to have me get in queue to speak with someone from the third party they had chosen to work with. I had to talk to three “concierges” because when I was put on hold to wait for Teledoc, the call dropped twice. I don’t understand how Oscar can shop this job out to a third party and yet has no idea what that third party has done on behalf of their customers. This is supposed to be technology company. This stuff isn’t that hard. And then they can’t even get in contact with Teledoc themselves. So the concierges can’t actually help you in any way. I was supposed to have received a call back after an hour and a half but am still waiting 6 hours later (and I doubt it will come). I messaged them, but decided to put this out in public because they seem to respond more quickly when they’re being exposed. What a joke. The only reason I signed up for one of their plans is because they partnered with the Cleveland Clinic, which has a large network of hospitals in my area. I can’t believe the Cleveland Clinic, as respected a healthcare institution as that is, would team up with such a shoddy company. So now I’m stuck with this worthless insurance. Don’t make the same mistake.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we are sorry for the frustration this has caused. Our team would like to help by investigating this issue further. We have followed up with you over direct message so that we may learn more.

Mar. 30th, 2020

Candace E Riverview, FL

There is no reason anyone should ever choose Oscar Health Insurance. When I was picking an insurance company, I was not looking for the cheapest. I was looking for an insurance company that had a decent network, and a low to no annual deductible. Upon a basic research of this company, all seemed to be good... You actually need to dig much deeper to see how much of a fraud this company really is, and how much they don't care about your health or anyone else's. If you need a specialist, good luck... No, I'm not talking about a specility that is not common... I'm going as general as an OB/GYN. That's right, women, if you find yourself pregnant, this insurance company does not care of you have to drive 3 hours round trip to get to a doctor because the doctors they had listed as OB/GYN's on their websites, are all really just GYN's, and don't work with babies. Read some more reviews as there are a number of complaints out there now about people who can't get the specialist they need or a family member needs because doctors are dropping them like a bad habit for no payment, or they falsely list the specialty of the doctor on their own website. Do you and your family a favor... Pick ANY other health insurance company than Oscar to ensure you and your family will be able to get to the healthcare they need.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Candace, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for what you have experienced. We want to confirm that we have followed up with you over DM so that we may assist further.

Mar. 24th, 2020

D Fort Worth, TX

NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. NO ONE takes this crap insurance. Currently pregnant and Oscar covers 4 OBs in my area. 3 won't take it because they have too many problems with Oscar. The one OB that will take it doesn't admit to the only hospital that Oscar covers. And no doctors that use the hospital they do cover take this insurance. How are you going to offer an insurance plan that doesn't cover OBs AND the hospital they use?! So the one OB that does take the insurance won't see me since Oscar doesn't cover the hospital they use. WORTHLESS. I literally cannot use this insurance. At least I only had to deal with a month of this bull. Save yourself some time and stress and get a better insurance!

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we want to apologize for the frustration this has caused. We would like to learn more about your experience and have reached out to you via direct messages for more information.

Feb. 13th, 2020

max maxwell smart Miami, FL

This is without a doubt the WORST insurance EVER. If you are considering this company, consider this first. I chose this provider because my doctor was listed as a member doctor on this network...wrong . His office informed me that while they had signed up with Oscar they could not book an appointment using Oscar insurance. Oscar is new to Fl so I could overlook this for a month or so. It is now Feb, nothing has changed. I tried to book a specialist using Oscar. Same issue. I called Oscar and the customer service Rep said she would contact the Doctors I had spoken with and call me back. 3 weeks later I am still waiting. I sent Oscar an email. I received a reply 2weeks later saying HOORAY! We found you a Dr .! The doctor they found is 11/2 hours away. I guess I will just wait until open enrollment again to resume my doctor visits and hope I have no health issues between now and then.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Max, we are sorry to hear this. We would like to connect you with one of our help specialists for further assistance. Please check your direct messages as we have followed up with more information.

Feb. 13th, 2020

Josh Austin, TX

Where do I start? I recently moved to Austin and needed individual coverage for 2020 since I'm not covered by a group plan. Unfortunately, due to the way the insurance industry has evolved, my only reasonable options were a Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO or Oscar EPO. I wavered for a while during open enrollment but eventually decided to go with Oscar because of my severe dislike of HMOs. I like choice and hate having to get referrals and deal with HMOs. I thought I was choosing the lesser of two evils...shortly after the year began is when buyer's remorse began to set in. I've been extremely dissatisfied with Oscar thus far for a couple of reasons. Yes they have the fancy app, the concierge service, the free doctor on call, etc. It's all nice and ultimately a plethora of technology and cosmetics designed to cover up the harsh reality that is Oscar. What I discovered shortly after the year began is that people (as in Doctors, hospitals, specialists, etc) have no freakin' clue who Oscar is. Their network is painfully thin and many of the doctors and practices that take Oscar aren't even aware of it. I must have called four different doctors, who according to Oscar are in network, who hadn't even heard of Oscar. I was unable to make appointments at this doctors because they couldn't verify if they even accepted Oscar insurance. This was just for primary care doctors. I can't even begin to imagine how bad it is for specialists. Bottom line, Oscar has done a horrible job of connecting with its network of doctors to establish coverage and promote awareness. Unfortunately, the concierge service is awful. They usually take 2-3 days to return messages, and replies are typically vague, generic and unhelpful with lots of empty apologies but rarely any solution to the problems. I found the concierge to be highly bureaucratic as they have very little power to dig deep on issues. Everyone I corresponded with or spoke to attempted to pass the buck and failed to take ownership. In summary, Oscar is like a beautiful Mercedes with all the bells and whistles but no engine. You can't drive a car without an engine and all the fancy technology and features offered by Oscar are useless without a robust network of doctors, in addition to awareness of who Oscar is on the part of those doctors. This company is newer but not brand new and there are clearly some operational issues regarding how they communicate with their partners and build and maintain brand awareness. I deeply regret signing up with Oscar and can't wait until either open enrollment or a qualifying event at which time I will drop coverage for good. If your medical needs are superficial, you go to the doctor or get sick once a year, then perhaps Oscar would be appropriate for you. Otherwise, I would caution anyone with moderate health issues to stay away. Again, their network is razor thin and the few decent practices who do take Oscar have a poor or otherwise non-existent awareness that relationship even exists. Caveat emptor...Buyer beware.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Josh, we want to apologize for the frustration this has caused. We would like to help by connecting you with one of our help experts. Please check your direct messages as we have followed up with more information.

Feb. 7th, 2020

Lily L Belton, MO

I signed up through the ACA. I believed the hype and the $0 deductible was attractive. However, co-pays are so high that I can't really afford to use the plan after I pay the monthly premium. Also, there are very few choices and most of them are at least 20-25 minutes away. Despite the fact that they said they were servicing Missouri, I couldn't use some features of my plan for the first month, even though I paid full price for my premium. Your "personal concierge" team is a joke since they take 24 hours to answer a question, so if it is something urgent, you're out of luck. Today was the last straw. I wanted to get tested for the flu. I called the only urgent care clinic in network (a 48 minute round trip) in hopes that it would save me money. They didn't disclose copays for urgent care when I signed up and I was hoping it would be like a copay for a doctor visit ($50). I was quoted a "flat fee" of $170 for my $0 deductible plan. The clinic down the street from me charges $160 out of pocket for the same service. I pay almost $300/mo in premiums (and it is subsidized!) and if I want to see anyone today, I'll likely drive fifteen minutes into the city to the free/low cost clinic. If I hadn't paid my premium this month, I'd have the cash to go to the urgent care clinic near me. Finally, even though they advertise a $50 deductible for PCP visits, all of the in network doctors listed on the website have average visit costs of $87-$104. Chiropractors (which I have paid out of pocket $35-50), are $90-100 per visit. This plan is a joke and a waste of money. You'll never get a thing out of it. So sorry I didn't stick with my high deductible plan from Cigna- at least I got better discounts.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Lily, we are sorry to hear this. We wanted to confirm that we have followed up with you over direct message in order to investigate this issue further. We'll be happy to have someone from our team get in touch with you.

Feb. 7th, 2020

Laurel Vail North Hollywood, CA

Covered CA messed up when I tried signing up and the Oscar team was very helpful and patient in the multiple phone calls needed to get my application processed. The reps were very friendly and helpful.

Karen

I've used them for the past two years and I love the mobile interface and the 24/7 doctor on call feature. It's so easy to access all my insurance and claim information.

Rose Columbus, OH

I just switched over to Oscar this month. I really like their interface and they have been very responsive and easy to get in touch with. HOWEVER, I have a 2 year old daughter, and am 16 weeks pregnant with my second. I have been trying to find an in network pediatrician in my area and have only come up with a list of pediatric dermatologists and mental healthcare specialists (both through my own online search and their concierge team) Where do people who have this insurance in the Columbus area send their kids to the doctor!?!?! I am very upset with this huge hole in their network and will likely have to switch insurance so I can get my kids proper medical care.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Rose, we appreciate this feedback and we'd like to help you out. DM us your Oscar ID number and we'd be happy to have someone from our team get in touch to help find a provider that meets your family's needs.

Nov. 4th, 2019

Nathan Los Angeles, CA

The overall experience with Oscar is great. Good website and app, generally forward thinking features. My only complaint is that there is a very limited selection of doctors in their network.

Pam Rodriguez Los Angeles, CA

oscar has been great for my healthcare coverage. the app is very easy to use and you can schedule everything straight from it. there are very good choices for doctors.

LeanderLil Cedar Park, TX

It is what it is - they do what what they say they'll do. Easy to find doctors and hospitals then read reviews too. Only drawback is using Quest Labs vs. doing Labs at the doctor's office.