Oscar

7.2

Terry L. Duve

Oscar Health Care is worse then BCBS, First my doctor wants me on a specific medication, and they denied it over and over. They have the balls to submit an off brand to my pharmacy and still charge 1/2 the cost to me. I have to use more of the product to get close to where I was when I was on the drug my doctor requested. Now I had bicep surgery in April and did my first 4 weeks of PT, on my first follow up, my doctor set up the last 8 weeks of PT. Now I am 2 weeks without completing any of that and only have a 3rd of the use of my arm. I can’t do a whole lot with that. I call every 2 days and I am being told it will take a mother 2 days.???? The PT will cost me 300 a week out of pocket I will have to pay it to get 100% use of my arm. I am shopping my company’s health care this week. And contacting NY Insurance Commissioner to file a formal complaint. On behalf of my company and employees.

Reply from Oscar

Terry, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 27th, 2022

Dara Wilson Chicago, IL

Do not use this scam of an insurance company. I have been lied to over and over and now have over 15k in medical bills that I blame on them. I am a medical provider and did my job of contacting this insurance prior to medical appointments, verbally got told they covered certain procedures, used their online system and saw my doctor was in network and then I ended up with multiple bills. I have contacted them so many times and they just keep submitting appeals and then come back months later to say oh sorry but it is denied still. They outright lie! I hope they get shut down by the BBB. It is horrific how they lie to you and cause you to go into debt and think nothing of it.

Reply from Oscar

Dara, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 21st, 2022

Michael VanderMeer Clermont, FL

My family recently moved to Florida and we decided to try out the Oscar Insurance Company Of Florida. I was attracted to their claims of simplified policies and minimalist approach to cut down costs to make health insurance easier and more efficient. I made a huge mistake. I've dealt with a number of different health insurance companies in Wisconsin and Texas and I've never experienced the level of gross incompetence and neglect shown by Oscar, its policies, and its staff. I doubt that I can actually blame the staff themselves for their incompetence as it is likely the companies fault by providing the minimal amount of training to get them to answer phones and man other aspects of the company. Consequently, they are not equipped to handle any problem brought up by a customer outside of taking our payment information, resulting in delayed or denied care or treatments and a lengthy and complicated appeals program. We have been members for two and a half months at this point, and it has taken this entire time to get a simple continuation of care for medical devices that my wife has been using for years, resulting in her running out of the supplies weeks ago and running the daily risk of having to be hospitalized. It took one month to have them deny a simple request, given by a family medicine doctor instead of an endocrinologist. Then it took another three weeks to get the appeal approved (which we got today) and now we are forced to use a company that is going to take another two weeks to get her the medical equipment we desperately need. And that was just one example of many. I received a common script for a generic medicine that cost $7.50 at a local pharmacy, but came to find out that I cannot pick up the medication until Oscar gives their approval that I can have it. This is happening time and time again. We are regularly being required to get approvals for just about every new or existing medication, which results in significant delays in treatment. Naturally, any attempt that I make to get ahold of a supervisor or manager is stonewalled with silence. The incompetence would not be believable had I not personally experienced it first hand. I cannot wait until Dec 31st, when I can drop this company that has made the last two and a half months a misery filled with medical mishaps, missing/delayed treatments, and refusals to provide common meditations and equipment. Please, unless you have absolutely no need of anything from an insurance company, DO NOT join Oscar. If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I am so concerned about their practices that I'll gladly spend my free time to ensure that everyone who is thinking about joining "Oscar's family" knows what they will be getting into.

Reply from Oscar

Michael, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 21st, 2022

Cassandra Workman Gilbert, AZ

Absolutely the worst insurance plan I have ever had, their coverage is confusing and their service is not up to par with the prices they charge. I am still trying to understand 2 claims that I have from over a year ago, and each time I call I get a different answer and no resolution. Still have no idea what I owe, keep being told that I am not liable for the bill while it’s being processed but then get tons of letters in the mail threatening that the bill will be going to collections. On top of that, going to a “mental health visit” cost me $200, even though it was a 5 min visitation with my doctor regarding new medications I was put on. I was unaware of this extra cost, I thought my copay was all I needed but Oscar is sneaky and their wording for things is so hard to understand for normal people. I terminated my plan today, and having no insurance is feeling much better than having Oscar. Avoid this company!

Reply from Oscar

Cassandra, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 15th, 2022

VL C San Antonio, TX

Pro: Specialist copay is reasonable and (so far) my specialist is in network. Con: Prescriptions not covered unless I either a) get them prescribed from an Oscar virtual dr visit, or b) have my specialist doctor (cardiologist) upload all my records and get approval for the drug. It appears Oscar does not like to cover routine meds like high blood pressure meds and anticoagulants despite me having valid prescriptions. So I will continue to pay out of pocket until later this year when I'm eligible for Medicare. And NO, Oscar, I will NOT be selecting one of your Medicare plans.

Reply from Oscar

VL C, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 29th, 2022

Sylvia Vicari Palm Beach, FL

Before I signed up for Oscar I asked Oscar if my doctor was part of their network and was told he was. My doctor thought he was. I went to my PCP and then got an EOB with a denial of coverage saying he was out of network...WHAT!! I call and ask WTF they told me he is out of network at that location. UMMMM thats his only location so again WTF. Doctors office was saying the same thing WTF apparently they did this to everyone in his office with Oscar. Now I need an MRI to see if a breast implant I got 13 years ago after a mastectomy is leaking and causeing my recent pain. Today I got a letter saying they need more info like last mammogram and ultra sound. I had a bilateral mastectomy 13 years ago there is no mammogram. So now I have to wait up to 2 weeks for their doctor to decide if an MRI is necessary. How is their doctor who did not see me suppose to figure out what my doctor that did see me is correct in ordering an MRI. In the meantime I can sit and wait...cuz they sure as hell don't care about me. I can't wait until December when I can get rid of this crappy insurance company.

Reply from Oscar

Sylvia, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 12th, 2022

Ladonna Ulrich MN

I'm impressed so far with this insurance company. The list of in network providers is accurate, they offer free telehealth services, and my prescription coverage is great! Even my doctor said it's a good insurance company that actually listens to the doctor and the patient.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Ladonna! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Feb. 15th, 2022

Eliza Hechmer Columbus, OH

I'm six months past getting an annual pap and mammogram and I am still in a billing nightmare over it. It's incomprehensible.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Eliza, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Oct. 18th, 2022

Mike Fratianni Spring Hill, FL

Absolute best plan I've ever had. Yeah my out of pocket was a bit high but premiums and co-pays were manageable. Once my out of pocket was reached for my wife, Oscar picked it up 100%. Wife is getting a transplant so you can imagine what the costs are .. will re-new next year. Also, every Oscar employee I spoke to (and there were many) was outstanding . Wonderful company. ( Florida)

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Mike! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Oct. 4th, 2022

Bri T Newport Beach, CA

My husband and I have been members with Oscar for nearly 2 years, and I have to say that it is honestly the best experience I’ve ever had with health insurance. The app is amazing, the customer service is always great (reps are so nice and incredibly helpful), the Telehealth benefits are so convenient. I’ve used the service a few times, and I have been so impressed with how seamless it was. Highly recommend!!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Bri, thank you for the kind words! We'll make sure we share your feedback with our team.

Sep. 28th, 2021

Jessica Morris Clermont, FL

I love the ease of access of having my claims, prescriptions, bill pay, and lists of providers right at my fingertips with the app. Also, everyone I have spoken/chatted with through customer service has been wonderful. However, there is a noticeable lack of mental health providers. Within an hours’ drive of my home there is only 1 female psychiatrist (a necessity for my issues) who is taking new patients. Also, when I had a mental health crisis earlier this year it was difficult for me to find any quick help aside from just a hotline which isn’t effective when I knew it was a specific medication rather than a pep talk I needed. I hope Oscar can work on improving this lack of care.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Jessica, thank you for the kind words! We'll make sure we share your feedback with our team.

Leslie Fountain Fredericksburg, VA

I wasn't expecting the coverage that i received from Oscar Ins for the amount that i can afford, this company has been remarkable, the help staff is always there for me when i need them and the Care they provided was top notch, and they care about there members unlike some of the others Ins companies, I will be with them as long as they will have me!!! AMAZING

Reply from Oscar

We're so happy to hear this, Leslie!

Kansan_Texan_perspective San Antonio, TX

Pros - I appreciate the coverage of my cancer treatment. It saved my life. Virtual visits are great. Please consider a synchronous, real-time face-to-face audio & visual telemed connection between physician and member as another virtual option. The encounter summary is helpful as well. I especially appreciate the portal and ability to message the concierge team. The Amazon gift card for hitting step count goals was a huge motivation for my husband to exercise this year, and for me also before cancer treatments started. Cons - Wouldn't allow me to carry my deductible forward if I switched to another Oscar plan during the extended enrollment provided by the Biden administration, which would have been a tremendous and much needed financial relief while I can only work part-time during treatments for breast cancer. My main ADHD med, Vyvanse, is not on formulary. I am the sole breadwinner for my family. My ADHD is worse with chemo brain added. Vyvanse helps me be able to work and also treats the fatigue caused by cancer treatments. I was not able to afford Vyvanse until after I met my deductible. I couldn't work much anyway near the beginning of the year, but I am dreading Jan 1st again when I won't be able to afford it once again until I meet my deductible. Additionally, I am the psychiatrist/owner for the adult ADHD Maintenance Clinic in San Antonio. In my experience, Vyvanse is by far the best extended release option from the Adderall family of meds as far as efficacy and tolerability. For many patients, it is the only things that works for them to get through a whole work day without start to get write ups. ADHD includes very real safety risks for many otherwise highly functioning adults such as when driving, operating power tools, chopping vegetables, leaving the stove on, adhering to med regimens from other providers, etc. I highly recommend Oscar put Vyvanse on the formulary for the benefit & safety of its members and for Oscar as well. Part way through the year, my EOBs started showing that I owed a co-pay even though I had met my out-of-pocket deductible well before that and had many medical appts prior to that without co-pay accordingly. When I called, there was no clear logical explanation for the change. The speculated explanation offered was "squirrely" and did not hold up to my questioning of it to the rep. As a psychiatrist also doing psychotherapy, I've heard first-hand from various patients confidentially of insurance company unethical practices. For example, if a team isn't meeting their "numbers", a manager will say to reject 1/3 of all claims that day with whatever reason they can conjure up, to help their numbers immediately as well as in the hope that members will give up and not pursue reimbursement further. I voiced that the change without an explanation had the appearance of impropriety. For some reason I thought Oscar was up front and not like that, that Oscar genuinely wanted to help people, but during that incident, I started to wonder if Oscar may have started out good, but as time went on started reigning things in like other companies with unethical covert methods. I was initially told my concern would have to be escalated to a higher level and that would take a certain amount of time, but when I expressed how financially distressing that was and stressful to consider that being a barrier to my healthcare needs in the short-run, and stress at the prospect of my providers wrongfully requiring a co-pay I couldn't afford at the time,, and considering that I am still doing rigorous treatments to help prevent recurrence of breast cancer sometimes with 3 appts per week, and that level of stress in the past has caused high spikes in cortisol for me and weakened my immune system to the point that I got sick. I was tearful and explained cancer treatment co-pays were expensive and high very early in the year. For example, I had to pay $3000 right after Jan 1st to keep getting radiation therapy that would reduce my risk of cancer recurrence by over 56%. I am still paying off the other $3000, sometimes with money gifted or lent by family with their own financial problems. I could also only work very part-time due to treatments, and actually couldn't work about 2 months from the worst radiation burn the clinic had ever seen early 2021. Cancer treatment & inability to work as the breadwinner for my family used up our savings. I shared this financial stress info with the Oscar rep. Then the Oscar rep became very empathetic and was able to reassure me suddenly it would be fixed and I would see the change soon and that he would follow up with me, which he did. The whole ordeal was quite upsetting and had my stomach in knots. I kept wondering if I was either randomly selected to make things harder for me to cut costs to Oscar or if my high cost of treatments triggered someone to target me, possibly without realizing my difficult journey battling cancer (or heaven forbid, while knowing it). I started to worry if/how Oscar would be able to consistently meet my healthcare needs when my life is on the line. The way Oscar shows my deductible status to providers' staff looking me up to see if I need a co-pay frequently confuses them. When I meet the out-of-pocket max, it apparently stops making any changes to the meeting my deductible part. The staff will see what looks like I haven't met my deductible yet and I always have to direct them to look at the out-of-pocket part to see I met that. Sometimes staff will still be confused with that tip. Please change how this gets reported to the poor staff working in clinics and for members facing that confusion. Even with these problems, so far Oscar is still the best insurance I've had. I often recommend it to my patients.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there! Thank you for your kind words and for bringing this issue to our attention. Please check your inbox for a message from our team.

Sophia Mantzavinos Los Angeles, CA

I absolutely recommend Oscar , so far has been the best medical insurance Coverage I have had. Their customer service online concierge team has been spot on very helpful, polite and on time Each and every time I have reached out for help or questions! Their easy interface online with payments , claims are amazing! I will be a member for Life! Sophia Ps: I love their fitness tracking award program! Every time you hit your walking goals you get $ 1 accruing for amazon online purchases!!

Reply from Oscar

We're glad to hear that you're enjoying your Oscar experience, Sophia! Please let us know if you ever have any questions. We're happy to help.

May. 22nd, 2020

97jbr Austin, TX

I had never heard of Oscar until I moved to Texas and needed to get insurance through healthcare.gov. I had them for almost 2 years and really loved how easy they made my healthcare. Being able to get a Dr. on the phone at no charge to me was a lifesaver more than once. I’m only giving up Oscar because my new employer doesn’t use them for health care.

Generic Customer Orlando, FL

Excellent company. I have been covered by an Oscar insurance policy for 1 year and just signed up for another year. The level of sophistication in their software and processing leaves others like my old insurance company (one of the BCBS types) in the dust. I'm a big fan of their $1/day reward to walk 10,000 steps/day (the maximum reward is $100 per year). Recommended.

Dixon San Antonio, TX

What a great company. I see so many bad reviews and I think the main reason for this is b/c people don't know how to use Oscar. If you use the Oscar app this policy works amazing! Dr. on call is a lifesaver! Customer service is great with an amazing insurance agent as well. 100% will recommend and I am looking forward to the new Classic next Bronze plan that is coming out with all copay's and a $0 deductible!

Jennifer Thomas Westlake, OH

Since I have purchased Oscar, the questions I get from all of my doctors receptionists have been reduced to zero. It is easier now to check in as they see all of my information online. Easy to pay my bill and I believe they truly want to be the very BEST insurance provider in the country! They constantly educate you on how easy it is to contact a doctor.

Maureen Dahl Franklin Square, NY

Although I had a few hiccups with Oscar the first year I was with them, my concierge team worked with me on a daily basis to fix the problems. We succeeded getting everything worked out within a reasonable amount of time. Since then, I have not had a single negative issue - only positive ones. I was able to pick the plan that was right for me and I have to say, Oscar has many to choose from. I am very happy with the plan I’ve chosen as I have had some health issues and it has been smooth sailing these past few years. Would highly recommend Oscar Health Insurance.

Jennifer B. Port Washington, NY

I like Oscar Insurance... I like the convenience have using the phone app to check to see what doctors and specialists will accept my medical plan... And if I do not know how to use a phone app I can always call the Oscar concierge team to have them assist me in finding a doctor of specialty that I may need. Every single doctor that has been recommended to me by the Oscar concierge team has been excellent doctors with excellent reputations and I could not be more happier... This is insurance that you do not need a referral in order to see a specialist it is a very good insurance plan.

Jamie Brooklyn, NY

Searching for the right Health Insurance plan for you can be a major headache, but I believe that Oscar is a great option when it comes to saving on Health Insurance and still receiving good benefits. Customer service is quick, easy and informative. Also, Free Doctors visits and Well-Women exams coupled with easy to access resources like the Oscar Center and Doctor on Call make Oscar an Insurance company I would be more than comfortable recommending.

Ricki Go Canyon Lake, TX

As a retired RN, I did extensive research prior to deciding which insurance provider to choose. The Oscar plan we choose is a perfect fit for us. They are very easy to work with and are accepted by my first choice medical providers. Help is just a phone call away as they have a concierge to help with any off time concerns you may have. They also have a Doctor on call that is a great peace of mind to us. I would absolutely recommend Oscar to anyone wanting to control their health care costs.

Cameron B Belcher Austin, TX

Best health insurance provider I have experienced yet. I'm in my mid-20s and just starting independent health coverage. My only complaint is that I had to switch because of the rise in my premium, where the cost more than doubled from year to year. I was very sad to have to leave because my new provider is less than subpar to how easy and simple Oscar was to use. Wish I could go back.

Brett P New Brunswick, NJ

Oscar has been solid to ensure I have coverage in case of emergencies, and the premiums are affordable. Customer service has been helpful when I've needed information, and the doctor on call feature is great for deciding if something is pressing or not. I don't know much about the more involved plans, though, so if you have a lot of doctor's visits or prescriptions, definitely look into the specifics first.

Mallory Lakewood, OH

Oscar Insurance has been hassle free and their customer service team is friendly, efficient and very helpful. They have a doctor on call service that I have yet to use but knowing it’s an option instead of making an appointment with my own doctor for a quick question is nice. All of my doctors are in-network which is why I chose Oscar. My co-pays are decent and cost of prescriptions make it affordable to get my medicine each month.

Marg.C New Braunfels, TX

in 2018 i didnt have many options for insurance and i went with oscar ( a company i never heard of) and boy was i surprised I Love Oscar i had several medical problems in 2018 and they was with me all the way covered everything and even followed up with calls to ask if there was anything else that i needed or assistance with follow up appointments they was Great i just wished there price would have stood in the same range i hate that i have to switch cant say enough good things about them

Reply from Oscar

Hi Marg, we're so glad to hear this but bummed you had to switch! Thanks for taking the time to write a kind review.

Jan. 2nd, 2019

Ben Kibreab Los Angeles, CA

Oscar is an insurance company for the future. Their plans are affordable and incorporates great technology to deliver it. You can use their app to do pretty much everything, from finding a doctor to speaking to a doctor for advice. In addition if you do have to talk to someone, you will get a liver person quickly, and speak to someone that will solve your issue or answer your question. It’s refreshing To have a company like Oscar in the healthcare insurance market, which usually is populated by huge insurance companies that don’t care and you can’t get in touch with. Love Oscar.

Glenn S. Leander, TX

I was somewhat apprehensive about signing up with Oscar for 2018 because of negative reviews mostly from people in NY. But then I looked at the negative comments made more closely and noted that in every single case the critics should have been mad at themselves for not taking the time to understand what the Oscar policies cover and don't cover, what deductibles and co-pays mean and what doctors are in network BEFORE they signed up for their policies and/or went in for medical care. I live in the Austin, TX area and find those who are critical of Oscar have largely made the same mistakes as did the critics in NY. Anyway, having almost a year under my belt with Oscar now I can confidently state that I've been very pleased with my policy. Oscar processes claims quickly and accurately, has reps who have been very helpful and courteous on multiple occasions and their doctor on call has been a great free service. There is a wide selection of doctors (both general and specialists) and medical facilities to chose from and I can see anyone of them that I want to without having to select a primary care provider and don't need to get a referral for a specialist. And, since I took the time to understand my policy beforehand, there have been absolutely no bad surprises. Oh, yes, Oscar did raise their premiums by about 17% for 2019 and did increase their deductibles and max-out-of-pocket amounts but they are still the best cost insurance option on the ACA exchange, especially for those whose incomes qualify them for insurance premium subsidies. My only complaint: They do not provide medical procedure or prescription cost estimating tools. Most major insurers have these tools so their policy holders can make better, informed decisions regarding their health care options. It's important enough for me to take off 1 star for this reason.

Very satisfied customer Los Angeles, CA

I love Oscar and have been raving about you to everybody including colleagues and clients — and to medical professionals! I love how easy it is to get questions answered via your app and how caring your company is! I love how you reward members like me who take steps to be on great health like your reward for those who walk! Thank you! A very satisfied customer

Jenifer Astoria, NY

I love the app. It is very convenient and easy to navigate. I've used the doctor on call service and it was quick and helpful. I've also reached out regarding admin questions and although it takes a little more time to get a response, I've always gotten a good response which clarifies my questions. I love the step counter and how it's synced with Amazon! I brag about that to all my friends. I am giving 4 stars mainly because the plan itself which is most affordable is still very limiting. And when I need more medical attention than normal, I feel I'm eating a lot of the costs. I appreciate the low monthly premiums very much, but the deductible is the sacrifice for such low payments. I think it would be a good idea to include other plan options on the app to make it easy for a member to switch if they feel they need different coverage.

esther gallagher San Francisco, CA

i was uninsured for decades. when ACA came along i was initially insured with another company. it was more expensive and complicated and i felt i wasn't entitled nor could quite afford the "care" i might have needed. with Oscar, i feel i am able to afford the cost of insurance as well as the copays i can use my HSA to cover. so far, the Oscar folks have been super helpful if ever i've had a question.

Mrs DeLaPena San Antonio, TX

In my experience I have never had any trouble with having to see my regular Dr or any specialists that I have needed. Always quick to get referrals or approvals usually with in a week no more than two weeks. Other insurances take much longer to get approvals. The doctors in network that I have had so far are all veru good at what they do. I had surgery and all of that went great including hospital emergency room.i want to keep this same policy if the price stays with in my range of income and affordability.

CHRISTOPHER CARRALES Del Valle, TX

Was hesitant initially as I could not find anything in Texas about Oscar but the policy #'s were what I wanted , unfortunately within a month of service I required very exstensive medical care , Oscar has been the best ! Seriously after describing my experience to individuals paying double the premium they all felt cheated by there insurance companies.

Scott Landay New York, NY

I have been with Oscar now for 6 months and have absolutely loved it! From the outset, it was so easy and intuitive to enroll and find a doctor in NYC. The whole platform is so easy to use and to navigate. No headaches trying to decipher claims or bills and someone is always available to help when needed. Oscar has worked seamlessly with my providers, saving me time and hassle that I'v experienced before with other companies haphazard bills. At the end of the day, I love having my healthcare at my finger tips. No matter where my day takes me, I know that I've got Oscar.

Charles Richards New York, NY

I am a business owner, and we offer Oscar Insurance to our team. I can honestly say that the entire experience from the onboarding process until now has been exceptional. Managing team members who receive the insurance (both new employees and when terminating employees) is quick and easy. I would recommend Oscar, as they are connected to a good group of doctors and hospitals and according to one person who is pregnant, the service has been very smooth and comforting.

Marco O. Brooklyn, NY

I'm on my second year of being an Oscar member and it's been a really good experience so far. Their clinic in Brooklyn is near my apartment, so I get a lot of use out of that especially because it's free. Their customer service is always on top of it and has been able to handle issues that I've had with billing or doctors. I think one of the best things they do is definitely the welcome packet that they send you. Lots of helpful advice on how your plan works, definitions, etc. and it's really well designed. Thumbs up.

Blair S New York, NY

Have had great experiences so far with Oscar. It seems like they really know what they're doing. I get other coverage through my employer but I'm thinking about my options for healthcare in the future. From what I can tell so far, the app is super simple to use and I like that it gives you a dollar each day for hitting your step goals. Searching for doctors also seems super simple. Oscar definitely makes things easy to understand too when health care can be very confusing. Some friends of mine have Oscar coverage and they like it a lot too.

Cristina Anderson San Antonio, TX

I had Oscar Insurance in Texas until I had to switch because I moved to a state where Oscar wasn't available. I switched to Oscar from another insurance after a multitude of problems getting my prescription medication approved. The old insurance company changed its formulary and it became and non-preferred medication. They decided I had to go through step-therapy despite me taking the medication for over 7 years. When I was started on the medication, my doctor didn't do a step-therapy (because it wasn't required at that time). So basically I had to try a medication that could put my health in jeopardy just because of an insurance company (un-named) changed their formulary to save money. I spoke at length with representatives at Oscar before switching and was very happy with the coverage and services I received from them. I am now back in Texas and am choosing Oscar again! No insurance plan is perfect, but I like the ease of use, transparency, and clarity of the website with Oscar.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Cristina! We're glad to have you back. Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Aug. 31st, 2018

Karen Shenker New York, NY

With all the issues we gave to deal with after Obama Care andcthe Affirdabke Care Act was introduced, Oscar medical insurance is a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately they’ve also become very expensive but they’re not to blame My main negative is that they stopped their affiliations with Weill Cornell and NY Presbyterian so I was forced to change all my doctors and hospitals. I love their website and the fact that they’re current with the times. Technically driven, organized and their staff aim to please. Billing is excellent too.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Karen – thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so glad to hear that you're happy with Oscar. We built our network in New York around three great hospital systems that ensure complete and high-quality care, collaborate with us for a seamless care experience, and provide great value without sacrificing quality. If you’re looking for a provider, our team is happy to help - they can narrow down a list based on the criteria that are most important to you. As always, if you have questions or would like help from your team, call us at 855-OSCAR-55 or send us a message via your account or the Oscar app.

Jul. 13th, 2018

rose Helotes, TX

So far I've had a good experience with Oscar. I don't go to the doctor that often and I just needed a plan to cover in case of an emergency. Had Humana and the rates were ridiculous. I used their app because my son had a bug bite, I took a picture of it, minuets later a doctor called me to advise me of what I should do next. As far as the billing goes, I have it automatically drafted out of my checking account, so far so good. My co-pay is $10 so I'm happy about that too.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Rose, thanks for taking the time to share your experience! We're so glad to hear that your happy with Oscar. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there's ever anything we can do to help! 855-OSCAR-55.

Apr. 3rd, 2018

Jay Canyon Country, CA

I have had Oscar since July this year. I have been to the doctor many times and had prescriptions filled all with no problem at all. One of the reasons I signed up with Oscar is that my doctor was in network and not with any other individual plans being offered. Plus the premium was less than the other options. Oh by the way, I am also an insurance agent and there are going to be issues with all companies but so far with Oscar I am please.

Jon New York, NY

Hands down the best experience I've ever had with health insurance. Oscar's app helped me find a primary care doctor near to me who was accepting new patients - and I even booked an appointment directly with them. I've used their free telemedicine service a few times, which has calmed my nerves and saved me trips to the doctor's office. And I LOVE my Concierge team - they've been super helpful whenever I've had questions. Couldn't recommend Oscar highly enough!

S Deerfield

I have used Oscar for the past year. It has been the BEST insurance company I have used. Everything is set up very efficiently--from the website to the claims procedures. My favorite part of Oscar is their "doctor on call" service. I have periodic eczema and rather than paying $150 for a doctor visit to get the same ointment prescription I always get, I could call Oscar and get the prescription renewal. It is savings for the insurance company and for me. Thank you, Oscar, for common-sense insurance!

M Mills

I was with Oscar for one year, this was a great and simple insurance company to work with. Loved the dedicated customer service team, they were very easy to contact, follow-up was great, and they were easy to use and provided great coverage. The biggest challenge was during the first half of the year having to spend a lot of time convincing healthcare providers and hospitals that Oscar was a real health insurance company. Oscar poorly communicated its entrance to the Dallas Texas market when it entered in January 2016. I was very disappointed that Oscar decided to leave Dallas after spending only six months of that first year in Dallas. This demonstrated very poor strategic and operational planning on their part. Given, that Oscar was a startup insurance company and took some losses during its first year, this was a major disruption for customers, medical providers and others. As much as I liked Oscar, I am reluctant to go back to them in the future given that they are so unstable and pulled out so quickly. I would not want to risk having to change my physicians and care givers again in such a short time. Although they were a good insurance company and was beginning to provide excellent service, they cost me a lot of unnecessary disruption during a critical time in my life including destroying critical relationships with some excellent healthcare providers due to the short coming and going and need to find providers in new networks. This was very painful and I felt abused. Oscar has lost my support and made me reluctant to support future new healthcare insurance company startups. M. Mills. Dallas, TX

M Judd Englewood, CO

Prescriptions are totally broken. If you have been on a drug for 10 years, they will argue with you every month about sending you more. They will need to talk to you on the phone, they will need bloodwork, they never have the info they need to approve it. It is never a "send a refill" and done.

Reply from Oscar

Hi, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Sep. 13th, 2022

susan nezami Glendale, CA

The main problem with this company is the roster of doctors and facilities in its network, the majority of whom and which are pretty terrible. While administratively Oscar is responsive, unfortunately that can't make up for having to make a choice between mediocre to bad doctors or facilities that illegally try to overcharge with Oscar's inability of do anything about it. My suggestion is to either opt for a PPO or go straight to an HMO like Kaiser. They seem to remain the best. I have been with Oscar this year but I will be switching over to Kaiser next year to avoid any more headaches.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Susan, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Ted Allen San Antonio, TX

Horrible coverage, and the “concierge team” is a total scam. Expect to be hung up on, spend hours on hold waiting for simple answers that you’ll eventually find yourself. Don’t be surprised when your deductible is $8,000 and they continuously edit out of pocket expenses. Your only doctor will be 100 miles away (I live in a major city). This company is owned by the Ks and it’s definitely a grift. If you enjoy burning money and wasting time on hold, this plan is for you!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Ted, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Scott French Orlando, FL

I actually thought I was getting a hood healthcare plan but all I got was a place collecting my money and denying benefits for my children getting healthcare check ups and shots which are required by schools. The Healthcare Facility ST Vincent’s Ambulatory Care was a approved facility, but the Doctor they saw wasn’t an approved Dr. Question is when you go to a facility like this you don’t know which Doctor you will get u til they come in to treat you. I will be canceling my insurance with them and filing a complaint with the State Insurance Commission.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Scott, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Zachary Lee Columbus, OH

I would not recommend this company at all. After six months of being with them never received welcome packet. I had auto pay set up and made sure it was set up over the phone with a representative and was told it was set up. After three months get a notice that I'm going to be terminated due to not paying bill. Had to pay up to three months worth of bills to stay with them after my auto pay was turned off due to them double charging me a month.

Reply from Oscar

Zachary, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jul. 15th, 2022

Pedro Delgado Miami, FL

Just today I try to get a virtual doctor the costumer care couldn't do it he blame slow system, I requested and urgent care not an emergency room, I was given Steward Palmetto Whish it is an emergency room and an urgent care that do not accept Oscar for month now I called again not virtual Doctor either and 1 of the urgent care was still the one do not accept oscar

Reply from Oscar

Pedro, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 27th, 2022