Kaiser Permanente Logo

Kaiser Permanente

7.2

Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945. It is a nonprofit health insurance provider with years of industry experience. It offers employer-provided plans, Medicaid, Medicare, charitable health insurance, and other private insurance plans. Kaiser Permanente's plan selection makes it easy for people to find good health insurance. Its plans are available in eight states and Washington, D.C.

Kaiser Permanente offers quality patient treatment and care through its networks, which also makes it a good option. Kaiser Permanente health insurance plans provide insurance coverage at Kaiser Permanente hospitals and clinics. Each Kaiser facility is staffed with high quality health care providers including primary care physicians and specialists.

Members can receive several different kinds of medical care and treatment at one medical center, which makes receiving health care treatment convenient. This offering makes Kaiser Permanente stand out from other insurance providers. While some may find the restriction to receiving care only at a Kaiser Permanente Center, it is helpful if there's a Kaiser Permanente clinic or hospital in your community.

View Kaiser Permanente Reviews

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Easy to View Plan Options
  • Variety of Health Insurance Plans
  • Charitable Health Insurance
  • Unique Provider Network Approach
  • Member Services and Resources
  • Additional Tools and Perks
  • Customer Service

Positive Customer Reviews

A majority of Kaiser Permanente's reviews are positive. Reviewers mention good experiences with care providers and the convenience of working with Kaiser Permanente.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Vicki from Clearwater, Florida

"I was with them for years and I really loved them. All your doctors, hospital, tests, specialists and medications are Kaiser and in their facilities. You should check for your nearest Kaiser hospital/medical center first because most of your tests are done there. But being all in one it is incredibly easy to get everything you need done. The web site is also really good. You can check your appointments, test results, re-order prescriptions very easily."

Easy to View Plan Options

The plan selection at Kaiser Permanente is quite admirable. Kaiser Permanente won't require you to give out personal information like your date of birth or parts of your medical history to get even the most basic information about its insurance policy options in your area.

You just say whether you are turning 65 during the year, whether you get insurance through an employer, and whether you are looking for a plan for yourself or for a group. Then you input your zip code to see health insurance options in your area.

Getting the cost information for a plan will require further research because the monthly premium depends on several factors, like age. But the initial questionnaire will give you access to brief descriptions of the types of plans available and the overall coverage you can expect.

Variety of Health Insurance Plans

Kaiser Permanente offers individual, family, and employer-provided health insurance plans. Employer-sponsored plans help employers add value to their employees' benefits package.

Kaiser Permanente also offers Medicaid, Medicare, and charitable health insurance to individuals who qualify. It also offers catastrophic plans. Some Kaiser Permanente plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). An HSA allows you to save pre-tax dollars to use to pay for medical expenses. Funds in your HSA roll over year to year.

Employers interested in adding vision and dental insurance to their employee health benefits can offer dental and vision insurance through Kaiser Permanente.

Premiums, coverage, copayments, coinsurance, annual out-of-pocket limit, and annual deductible, of course, depend on the individual plan. Before purchasing a health insurance plan, it's important to understand the full cost of the plan, which is not just the monthly premiums. In some cases, it may make sense to pay higher insurance premiums to have lower out-of-pocket expenses.

Charitable Health Insurance

Kaiser Permanente also provides charitable health coverage for low-income individuals who don’t qualify for public health insurance or have access to private health insurance. This offering makes it stand out from other health insurers.

Kaiser Permanente provides subsidies on premiums for these plans and additional financial assistance for out-of-pocket costs when care is received at Kaiser Permanente facilities for covered services.

These plans are available in California, Colorado, Georgia, the Mid-Atlantic (Maryland and Virginia), and Oregon. The name of the Kaiser Permanente’s charitable health coverage is different in each region

Unique Provider Network Approach

As you consider Kaiser Permanente medical insurance plans, keep in mind that it does not offer typical network structures, like Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans. Instead, Kaiser Permanete has its own facilities and providers for patient care. Care received elsewhere is not covered by the insurance provider. If you're interested in a plan with more typical network structures, consider other health insurance companies.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Fay Falatea from Kaneohe, Hawaii

"Me and my family have been insured by Kaiser Permanente for 13 years. The Drs I had were great and customer service from the receptionist was always pleasing. Was sad when I had to change to another insurance."

You should also consider the coverage offered by a plan before finalizing enrollment. Most plans fully cover preventive care. See what the coverage looks like for other treatment, care, or services you may need.

Member Services and Resources

Kaiser Permanente members have access to some great benefits, like an online member portal, mobile app, and glossaries of terms. My Health Manager is the name for the online member portal through which you access your account. Through My Health Manager, you can

• View the benefits of your health plan
  • Make a payment
  • Download a form you need
  • Set up (or change) a date for a doctor's appointment
  • Email your primary care physician or specialist about a minor question
  • View your medical record

Extra abilities like viewing your medical records make this member portal, even more, personalized and convenient. Plus, members can benefit from Kaiser Permanente's mobile app that allows you to do many of these same tasks.

For members, there's also a dedicated FAQ section that gives you answers to questions you may have about getting an ID card, looking up a Kaiser doctor, and paying a bill.

There is also a dedicated member phone number to contact as well. Kaiser Permanente eases not only logistics but also health care education. Members and nonmembers alike can use Kaiser Permanente's glossary of health care terms, which might come in handy when shopping for a plan, learning how to use your benefits, looking up a provider, and more. Resources like these make the company more transparent and customer-centric.

Additional Tools and Perks

Kaiser Permanente offers many of the same added advantages that other health care insurance companies offer: discounts on health-related products, education about health care as an industry, and a mobile app. These added perks demonstrate Kaiser Permanente's dedication to supporting its members' health and well-being. Each company that offers these additional features puts its own twist on these features, and Kaiser Permanente is no exception.

The mobile app for this company is called the Kaiser Permanente Mobile App, and it allows members to do many of the same tasks that the member portal does. These include contacting your doctor, making a payment, finding a health care providers and medical offices, and viewing your medical history.

Kaiser Permanente has a lot of different discounts as well. Some of these are for fitness club memberships and for massage therapy. In addition, Kaiser Permanente has a wealth of information in its health guide.

Kaiser Permanente also offers health classes and healthy lifestyle programs to help people live healthier lives. If you're trying to make a healthy change in your diet, if you're trying to quit smoking or lose weight, or if you're struggling to manage a chronic illness, these resources would be helpful for you.

Kaiser Permanente values high-quality care. The company website is very helpful, with lots of details about the types of plans Kaiser Permanente offers, member resources, and ways to make the most of the plan benefits.

Kaiser Permanente also makes it possible for customers to get help in either English or Spanish as well.

Flexibility is found in other areas, too. With a health plan here, you can switch doctors at any time and use the find a doctor tool to find a different Kaiser physician. Kaiser Permanente has millions of members. With so many customers to serve, the company has developed a wide selection of resources. The company is transparent about its health plans. It makes navigating the member portal easy and intuitive. Kaiser Permantente anticipates customer questions well.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Negative Customer Reviews
  • Service Areas
  • Limited to Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Medical Centers
  • No International Health Insurance

Negative Customer Reviews

Kaiser Permanente has also received a high percentage of negative reviews on BestCompany.com. A high proportion of negative reviews is not uncommon for health insurers. However, consider issues found in reviews as you decide whether or not to buy a health plan from Kaiser Permanente.

Reviewers who left 1-star reviews on BestCompany.com shared difficulties with claims payments and dissatisfaction with care received from Kaiser Permanente's providers.

Service Areas

One major limitation of Kaiser Permanente is the span of states that Kaiser Permanente can work with. This company limits itself to just several states out of 50, which means its health plans aren't even an option for you if you live outside of these states. If Kaiser Permanente's plans are not available in your area, you'll need to consider another insurance company.

Limited to Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Medical Centers

Unlike most health plans that allow enrollees to choose the provider network structure (PPO or HMO), Kaiser Permanente plans only offer coverage for its hospitals and medical centers.

If you prefer to have more options when choosing a physician, you may want to consider another insurance provider that offers out-of-network coverage with some of its plans.

No International Health Insurance

Unlike some of Kaiser Permanente's competitors, the insurer does not offer international health plans. If you are looking for an international health plan for your company or yourself, you'll need to find another health insurance company.

The Bottom Line

Kaiser Permanente is a great company for health insurance because of its industry experience and plan offerings. It offers many different types of health plans, including group plans for employers to offer employees, plans for individuals and families, and charitable health insurance for those who are not eligible for Medicaid but also can't afford to purchase their own health insurance plan. Kaiser Permanente also offers dental and vision coverage, and good member resources.

For specific information on plans, insurance premiums, and out-of-pocket expenses in your area, contact Kaiser Permanente directly or visit its website.

In fact, the main reason you may not want to use Kaiser Permanente's insurance might just be that you don't live in a region that this company services. For that reason, Kaiser Permanente is admittedly more limited than some competing insurance carriers. If Kaiser Permanente's medical facilities are not convenient to you, you may want to consider another insurer for purchasing health coverage.

If you want more flexibility when choosing care providers, you may also want to find an insurance company that offers out-of-network coverage.

Depending on the type of coverage you're looking for, Kaiser Permanente's plan details might not match up either. However, Kaiser Permanente members benefit from great member services. These include an online portal to manage your health plan, a mobile app, and discounts on health-related products. You'll experience these excellent benefits when you buy a plan from Kaiser Permanente.

For the right customers, this company offers transparency and a common goal to keep you healthy, both of which build trust.

Call our recommended rep over at Kaiser Permanente below.

3.0

R, Gipson Boulder Creek, CA

I had good experiences with Kaiser in Stockton, CA, but horrible with Kaiser in Santa Cruz, CA. I went into urgent care with an excruciating sprained ankle and could not walk without the use of cars, the hand rails, and inside Kaiser I used furniture and walls to get around. The front desk person was rude in her tone and would not look away from her monitor to even look at me when we spoke. She saw that I was having trouble walking and was in pain but not once did she offer me a wheelchair or even a crutch. Besides, she had me come up to the counter twice - then had me walk down a long hallway and back to her desk twice to see the x-ray tech and the onsite pharmacist for my prescription. I had to walk past 5 well chairs just behind her desk area around the corner to do so yet she did offer me one once! I was leaning on the walls and door knobs, limping, and on occasion grunting because my ankle hurt so bad to walk on it. I passed a security guard, multiple medical "professionals", and even the physician's assistant I saw did not offer me anything to assist in walking. Eventually, after I had already walked throughout the urgent care facility and was quite frustrated, the medical assistant assigned to me asked me if I wanted a wheelchair. I say "It's a little late for that now since I've already had to walk the entire facility without help." Before I was done talking, she turned around and said "Ok." as if to just brush me off. *These are the kinds of people we can expect expert medical care from? It gets worse... I was seen by a physician's assistant(PA)- I asked to see a doctor. The PA looked at my xrays and essentially questioned if anything was wrong with me at all. (I had already been limping around for two days and called into work bc I couldn't perform my duties). So now I'm lying...? The only reason I was there is bc my ankle hurt severely and I'm almost 50 so my wife thought it best for me to have it looked at. Now, this woman who is not a doctor is treating me like an idiot, asking me "How have you been walking on your ankle." As if there was something "I" have been doing to exacerbate the problem - if there was one at all in her opinion. She said she could not see anything wrong on the x-ray then turned the screen to show me. I had already asked the x-ray if anything regarding a sprain would show on an x-ray of bone. (The x-ray tech was a really nice guy.) He said the "Dr" would be able to see swollen tendons or ligaments, etc, and see the problem. When this PA showed me the x-ray, it only showed bone! Therefore, she could see nothing of relevance. Which was my thought in the first place and the reason I asked the x-ray tech. I said to the PA, "That x-ray only shows bone - not anything in regard to a sprained ankle." She tried to save face and to explain that sometimes she would see a "bone spur, etc...." I tried to explain again what I had been going through but she was not convinced but then gave me her "recommendation" of time off work and prescription strength Advil. She never brought up that I was also there to get a note to let my employer know why I was calling in and that I had a valid reason. I had to remind this "PA" that I needed a note before she left the room. She returned with the note, explained it, and then left the room and was off to see her next patient - me still limping behind her and her medical assistants, and numerous medical staff - still none offered me a wheelchair or even a crutch. On the way to get my Advil, I took one of the wheelchairs that were collecting dust by the front office and used it to get my meds. During my visit to Kaiser yesterday, 7/19/21, I had walked more on my sprained ankle than I had the entire day and left neglected and with a bottle of Advil. Are these the people we consider "essential"??? To whom? Obviously to their own echo but not to their patients. Needless to say, I won't be going back to any Kaiser of my own accord, and I will be posting this same review wherever possible. This is what happens when you deem some people's employment as "necessary" above everyone else's. You just create ego-maniacs who think they're doing you a favor while doing their job poorly. Now my Kaiser Insurance is entirely useless. *Breakdown: 1. Pharmacist was nice - He and I had some good laughs. Very personable. 2. X-ray tech - He was great also. Also very personable and genuine. 3. Physician assistant - She was not knowledgeable, pompous, nor helpful, and made me feel like I was being dishonest about my condition. (Empathy, compassion?) This woman should not be seeing patients - at least those who want to get well and leave with any dignity. 4. Front office lady - She was rude in her tone and complacent 5. Medical assistant - She was short and complacent and cocky!

WT Vienna, VA

I'm trying to find a Black primary care physician and there don't seem to be any. I have made three visits - one to a podiatrist and another to a new primary care physician and another to an optometrist and all left me feeling like I was just another MRN instead of a patient. I had to state my concerns repeatedly and had to keep probing before anything reasonable was offered. I'm not sure what information a doctor can get from listening to one's heart for less than 2 seconds - I guess hearing one beat is enough. I was given diagnoses that weren't communicated to me - only written in the report. After getting lab results, instead of responding to each result, the lazy doctor copied and pasted the same thing for each report which generic suggestions. I have receive no follow up regarding some of my lab work. Feeling like Kaiser if more like a free clinic. I initially thought I'd like the idea of having most specialties on one place, but this is not IT. I will be switching insurance plans if I am unable to find physicians who care about patient care and not getting people in/out as quickly as possible. #SayingNOtoKaiserPermanente

Kerri Fiero West Linn, OR

Kaiser is the worst there is they delay care tell you you dont need care and provide the worst care for pain or chronic conditions Very long waits to get to see a doctor even longer for specialty care Their Physical therapy is a waste they talk to you and give you a paper with exercises to do at home. dont even see if you are even physically able to do them. I fell a month and a half ago did go in for MRI I have dislocated nerve roots other never roots being squished and many other problems in my back My legs go numb and wont move often Still cant get in to see a doctor PCP is still a moth out specialty care is 3 months out to get care. They refuse to refer me out of network so I can get care as they do have those doctors but you cant access them in timely manner Referral to surgeon got denied and referred to physiatry instead that is 3 months out but i can have a phone appointment 2weeks from now what can they do for you over the phone ? Kaiser is the worst McDonalds of health care give you the least possible care make you wait get the order wrong and get you out as fast as they can. One phone appt doctor lied told me no changes on MRI and yes there were i had it open in front of me and i can read I worked in healthcare there were many bad changes and that I should take the gabapentin she prescribed sorry I am allergic to gabapentin and its on my allergy list. Worthless appointment and that the only doctor i have seen yet a month and a half I have been trying to get care. Kaiser sucks would not refer a pig to go to Kaiser. terrible health plan and health care.

Linda Inglewood, CA

Kaiser Permanente's "care" has deteriorated to the point where I'm scared to go to them for anything! It's impossible to get an appointment with your primary care physician, ESPECIALLY when you're sick, which means you are left with seeing a stranger who doesn't know or even care about you in their urgent "care" department or the emergency room. I have had too many extremely negative experiences with incompetent or totally uncaring Kaiser doctors over the past two or three years to count. I really want to get out of this plan, but I'm trapped until the enrollment period opens up in November. If I could, I would sue them to recover all the premiums that have been paid by my employer for this crappy plan -- more than $1100 per month!!! For nothing! It's a ruthless shakedown! I know that many health plans in the U.S. are pretty unimpressive but, believe me, Kaiser is the absolute worst! Beware.

Barbara Porter CA

I have been with Kaiser for over 37 years. Overall it has been good health insurance for our family of seven. Luckily we have been healthy but have had times when issues have come up when health care has been needed and Kaiser has been pretty easy to navigate. My elderly parents also had Kaiser and they gave permission for me to handle their health concerns. The app was amazing for ease of emailing their drs and reordering their meds.

Marko Vrtikapa Arvada, CO

June 24, 2021 OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM SUCKS! Two days ago I had a bad night. I was short of breath, coughing which leads gagging, a slight fever and could not get ANY sleep. The next day, I call my primary provider - with whom I have my insurance through - Kaiser. I am hacking on the phone, my voice in garbled because on sore throat, etc. I CANNOT have another night like that - not two days in a row - I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. I speak with the nurse for my md and I am told that they can get me in on July 12th. I laughed - they are worthless! Kaiser is horrible! Sidenote: I went to Instant Care - paid out of pocket for meds and appointment and saved $50. That's right - Kaiser, my insurance company, would have charged me $50 bucks more for the same service.

Jennie Brennan Loveland, CO

Made an appointment over a month ago at the Loveland, CO office. Over 45 minutes wait after the appointment time. No one came out to acknowledge I was even there and that they were running late. Once I got back to the examination room I sat waiting for the doctor, the assistance came in and was rude and asked me if I wanted to reschedule. After being asked that 3 times, I just walked out. Terrible service for the amount of money I pay every month. Haven't seen a doctor in a year and it will probably be many more before I go back. The Loveland CO office is terrible and I would not recommend it and if I could give it NO STARS I would

Larisa Ashburn, VA

BEWARE OF BEING OVERCHARGED!! I always ask for a cost before doing ANYTHING. They always say this is covered or this is a low price. Every single time I get a big bill in the mail. They will say a video visit with your doctor is at no charge to you. I have done 3 so far and every single bill came out to be $300, $650, and $200. I had to call for all of them to get them to correct the bill which was supposed to be AT NO CHARGE TO ME. This is ridiculous. This constantly happens to other family members too and for small stuff too. Every time I need something from them it needs to be a whole big stressful situation. I can’t imagine the amount of people who just pay these incorrect bills. I now keep documentation of every time they tell me the cost of something because I already know they will try and scam me.

Tino Ze , FL

Have been with Kaiser since i've been in the United States, so 17 years. Have not had an issue with them. Perhaps because I do not have any pre-existing conditions and just need basic health care. I love how they are easily accessible. When I lived in MD Kaiser was just 13 minutes drive and now I'm in VA, its a 20 minutes away which is not bad. Signing up is easy. You can pay your premiums through their website. Premiums are a bit pricy but that's like that with all insurance providers. You can get your test results quickly and also you can easily check them online. If you need records of your past medical visits, including immunizations, they are all available online and can be downloaded via PDF.

Mike Lichtner Inglewood, CA

1. Kaiser online Kaiser has me on 20 meds, Unless I run out completely on the online apps says it is too early to reorder. Thanks now I have to drive 25 miles to their pharmacy and argue with them. 2. If I try to email my doctor, he never answers. then an LVN (if you are lucky) and quotes from a page of a manual. #. been a member is mid 80' and they just keep getting worse.

Sam Seattle, WA

Terrible insurer. They are provided free through my employer, which is great because they have no record of me even though I have an insurance card and packet they sent me and have used them once already for a virtual consultation with a particularly useless physician. Nearly impossible to get any assistance and they claim to have no record of me, even though I have already set up an online account. To top it all off thier help line is only open during normal business hours (you know, when people work) so it becomes nearly impossible to get a hold of anyone so that they can attempt to do their job.

Lu Lu Stanley Woodstock, GA

1. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone at my nearest Kaiser office. 2. My child has a printed insurance card from Kaiser but cannot be found anywhere in their system online or at the local urgent care across the street from the Kaiser building. 3. I had to use the urgent care for my children's ear infection because no one could be reached at the Kaiser office. 4. I tried to register my other child online for her first pediatrician appointment. The website is not working properly and I cannot get her an appointment online and trying to call in the middle of the pandemic is a lost cause. 5. Kaiser's app for video appointments is shoddy at best and my husband had to miss an emergency mental health appointment because of it. 6. The Kaiser building closest to us is in the next county. It is extremely difficult to pick up regular prescriptions from another county. For this reason my husband had a gap in his depression medication. 7. Over all, the switch from Blue Cross Blue Shield to Kaiser has been nothing but stressful. Having to use Kaiser has contributed to our mental health issues and Kaiser had also failed to provide care for our children.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Kaiser is a one-stop shop type of health care provider, utilizing doctors within their network. It appears to be one of the more affordable providers for self employed. Although there are many local facilities, it would serve the customer better to have specialists at each location, as opposed to a single location housing a single specialty.

Brad Willis ,

I'm been with Kaiser my entire life and I'm in my late 50s. I think that if you are young and healthy, Kaiser can be very good. But as you age and actually start having problems, perhaps there are better options. In my case, I had not had labs in about 3 years. That's partially my fault, but also I think my doctor should have pressed me a bit to get them done. When I finally got them done, I saw that I had type 2 diabetes and kidney damage. I requested a referral to a nephrologist several times and was denied each time, despite having micro albumin of over 700! (below 20 is normal). Now I'm much worse, again largely my own fault, but I do think that a specialist would have helped me to keep things under better control. I will be doing a teleconference with a doctor on Monday and I'll press hard for a specialist. It's my view that they try quite hard to avoid referring you to a specialist in order to save money for the company, and that's not right, in my view. My mother has had chronic heart failure and I think her experience has been a bit better. Years ago, I had a woman throw a wine glass at me, severing an artery in my wrist. The surgeon simply tied off that artery, so now I only have one instead of two. I've been told that was probably not the best way to address that issue and that the artery likely should have been surgically repaired. I did have a different doctor who did a good job on the tendon repair and nerve reattachment. So again, if you are young or quite healthy, they can be a very good option. If you have chronic problems, you should explore all options.

Nell Damascus, MD

Our experience with Kaiser Permanente in Cleaveland Ohio was incredible. We had young children and felt very well taken care of I felt they were cohesive between disciplines- it didn’t feel like insurance it felt like a medical support company who valued our children’s wellness. When we traveled out of state to MD instead of going to an ER for breathing treatments we went to a Kaiser Community and they handled everything in-house very efficiently. I wish my employer offered Kaiser now.

Brian Haney Bellevue, WA

The biggest problem with Kaiser is there is a lack of hack of access. I signed up for the Kaiser Gold Insurance plan, hoping this would allow me access to healthcare services when needed. But, the online systems Kaiser users are terrible, convoluted, and confusing.

Meenakshi Jindal Oakland, CA

Don’t have option to give 0 rating. Poor communication. No respect for pregnant women health or time. They will miss your ultrasound appointment. Will let you know always on time for any testing. Result you have to wait for hours in walk in for that testing.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

My husbands company offered Kaiser and it was great healthcare. There was so many locations and when we did utilize them, the customer service was amazing.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I have been a Kaiser member since I joined the workforce and had to get my own insurance. Kaiser keeps wonderful records and is super helpful in keeping me informed with upcoming services. I love the 1-stop shopping and not having to worry about provider networks.

Janice Tucker Pinole, CA

I've been with Kaiser for over 30 years. they have taken care pf all my health needs including routine medical care, HBP and diabetes, spinal surgery, accidents with broken bones, and much more. I've had acupuncture and physical therapy for back problem and my medications prescribed and OTC are my medications are reasonably priced and delivered. I have been very satisfied with their services down through the years..

Buddy Cash Cumming, GA

Kaiser permanente in Georgia does not even have Basic x-ray abilities in all of the county of Forsyth just north of Atlanta. They refer you to a facility in another surrounding county for this basic care.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I spent time reviewing many labs and medical personnel who work for Kaiser Permanente. This to me is an outstanding company with a business model which could be mirrored by other medical insurance companies. All of. the doctors and medical personnel are hired by Kaiser Permanente which helps to drive down the cost of. medical care by not having to pay for doctors and other hospital services in separate invoices. When you use the system as a patient all the various medical costs come to you in one bill and not many separate bills from different areas of the hospital. This allows Kaiser Permanente to accurately predict what your bill will be for a procedure vs other most insurance plans which cannot predict what the final price will be or if all the personnel in the hospital accept your private insurance. From a doctors point of view the system allows for easy conveyance of patient information by each doctor being required to submit their office number to the Kaiser Permanent system and any doctor wanting to relay message, such as a new malignant diagnosis, to another doctor can easily use the system.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

My family and I are so grateful for Kaiser! Kaiser was fundamental in guiding us through my daughters Autism diagnosis. They helped us every step of the way to make sure early intervention was available and affordable. They were amazing in providing resources and key in helping us get the best possible care for our daughter. Kaiser was also great when we had our second child during the pandemic! We are forever grateful for our experience with Kaiser!

LCC Vallejo, CA

When my family and I were living in the Bay Area, we used Kaiser as insurance and I love that we can schedule our own appointments online (we have an option to call to schedule) or you can do it yourself (I prefer this) - you can also see your doctors schedule and availability (usually, if I wanted an appointment the same week, like today is Monday, majority of the time, I could get a Wednesday appointment or earlier). Anyway, I also gave birth to my daughter at a Kaiser hospital and I had a great birthing experience and stay (my daughter was born at 35 weeks) so we stayed a few extra days. Fast forward to now, we recently moved back to the place where I grew up (not in California, anymore) so we had to unfortunately give up our Kaiser insurance and go with whatever was available at our location. Scheduling alone, I cannot do it on my own and I scheduled yesterday for a yearly checkup & yesterday was June 19th, my appointment is July 19th. What in the actual...? I also got my hearing tests done with Kaiser and got my hearing aids from them (unfortunately, no insurance covers the cost of hearing aids since it's considered cosmetic) - I wish Kaiser would fix this especially for people who have hearing loss (trust me, no one wants to spend $3500 on hearing aids, and for sure we don't consider it cosmetic to be wearing hearing aids or to even own them!) That is my only negative thing, I feel that Kaiser could at least give a 50% discount on them. I basically had to use my travel savings for my hearing aids because they didn't even have monthly payments available. I do miss our Kaiser insurance and just having everything in 1 location - we lived nearby a Kaiser hospital so we got everything done at that location, only time I went to another location which was only 3 miles away from the hospital was when I got my hearing tests done and did a fitting for my hearing aids.

Roberta C. Mableton, GA

I'm in my 60's and have been covered by Kaiser for almost 20 years. I can think of only 2 occasions when I received substandard treatment, and it was related to Kaiser referrals to locations outside of their own facilities. I am very cost conscious and budget-oriented. I don't like to play Russian roulette with health care costs because I can't afford it. I need to know covered/uncovered expenses beforehand, so I can make good decisions about discretionary care. Kaiser health plan details are laid out in an understandable manner that manages my expectations. The only missing ingredient is how much a procedure costs to calculate my portion of the expense. I can call Kaiser to get the info, or some procedure expenses can be accessed through their member web site after login. Kaiser is continually upgrading their computer systems for members to access more of their health info on-line. Some of the things I've done in their system is make an appointment, emailed my doctor, checked test results (blood test results are generally posted within 24 hours, so I can see the results even before the doctor!), ordered prescription refillls , etc. I like Kaiser because "rooftops" come with their health plans. Their closest location to my home is their Cumberland facility. I don't have to worry about in-network or out-of-network. Everybody at their multiple Atlanta metro Kaiser building locations are employed by Kaiser, which translates to in-network care. I don't have to shop for any doctors because Kaiser employs primary doctors, specialty doctors, and even vision doctors. I just wish they had a dentist!!! Although I've never had to deal with a serious illness, I do have a couple of non-life threatening chronic conditions that need minimal attention. Whenever I experience an acute illness, I call Kaiser and they get me in to see their doctor or intern the same day. If unable to do so, I always have the 24/7 option to walk in to their new Town Center emergency care in Kennesaw. It's setup like a hospital. I used it once on a weekend. Each exam room includes a hospital bed, so if necessary, they can keep you overnight. I think they are equipped to handle all emergencies except for surgery. I have confidence in the Kaiser doctors I've encountered and feel like they give me excellent care. Whenever I visit, they document their diagnosis and care instructions on their computer during my exam. When I leave, they print a copy for me, so I don't have to remember what they said and all the things I need to do to remedy my illness! (They are a little pushy on preventive services, but they do respect my choices in that regard.) I've observed positive changes in Kaiser resulting in continual efficiencies. Appointment check-in is quicker with each visit to the point where last month, I used a kiosk to check-in. The staff is friendly and service-oriented and very conscientious about "wait times". It's time for me to make a choice for 2019 health care coverage. The cost of Kaiser coverage for my situation (I've been buying through healthcare.gov ie the affordable care act) is substantially higher, which has put me in the shopping mode. I'm stymied by the PPO providers like Ambetter and Blue Cross regarding in-network/out-of-network. If I'm in an ambulance being rushed to the nearest hospital, I won't have control over "networks" and I don't want to go bankrupt over something outside of my control. Effective in 2018 Kaiser is using Emory Hospitals in their network. In the past Kaiser provided coverage at any emergency facility until it is feasible to transport me to "their" hospital. I'll need to recheck that element, as it is a valuable component, which will influence my 2019 coverage decision. Typing this review has been therapeutic in consolidating my thoughts about Kaiser. I didn't realize how much I appreciated them until I wrote this review. It sounds like I've talked myself into another year of Kaiser coverage, but will continue to research other options for a few days to be sure I've done all my homework. It has been most helpful for me to read reviews for other health care providers on this Best Company site, and I hope you get that same benefit from my review. I hope I live to see the day where everybody gets the same good care across the board without this painful annual process!

Baj5527 Brigham City, UT

We had Kaiser when we lived in California and I always had good experiences with them. I had several different Doctors within the organization. My GP was really good. I had bad migraines and some times if I called his office and told them, he would just let me come in to get a sit for my migraine instead of making me go to Instant Care or to ER. He was the best. That was Dr H. I also had a good gastrointestinal Doctor. I have a bad memory so I can’t remember his name but it took me going through two other GI Dr.’s before I got to him. He finally was able to get down to the root of some of the real problems I was having. They got my to a Neurologist who started helping me with those migraines too. I have nothing but good feelings for Kaiser in Riverside, California.

duncan Aurora, IL

Have a nail in your head causing headaches? - Sounds like Covid! Have a toe infection causing fever? - Sounds like Covid! Wear your mask, social distance, answer the Covid questions, listen to the Covid recordings over and over while on hold & being transferred, have staff treat you like a Leper...Did i mention they are concerned about Covid? Better have symptoms of Covid, because that is all Kaiser treats apparently, and they will place appointment after appointment in your way of treating your potentially fatal illness, all to rule out Covid (~%99 survival rate). Too bad I never had any Covid symptoms, because I could not wait any longer and gave up trying to get help from Kaiser after 3 appointments and multiple months jumping through their hoops.

Javon Denver, CO

The shipping and receiving department really does a great job of getting trucks in and out. Great customer service and I don’t say that very often. Josh really does and good job and value other peoples time.

Rebecca Bigman Santa Clara, CA

Kaiser is the WORST insurance. Terrible doctors, tons of inefficiencies and poor customer care. I definitely do not recommend!

I'm Evans Ellenwood, GA

Reneathia P. B, MD Was awesome! My son has been an established patient since Jun 2019; although I’ve always has a good experience at KP, Dr. B made it a memorable one. She loving, caring, but most of all concerned! She went over and beyond during my visit with her. May God bless such a woman of her character! I am forever grateful, thank you for choosing such wonderful professionals.

Linda Kelley

I love Kaiser, I have been with them since I was 15 in 1965. I've been fortunate to have a job that offered Kaiser for myself and family then my husband got a job that paid for family and him and we kept Kaiser our whole working life and now retired we have Senior Advantage. I've seen Kaiser grow through the years and improve vastly from my early years. I've never been disappointed with them.

Allen G Helm Arlington, WA

I started seeing a cardiologist in April of 18 and i was diagnosed with afib so i was scheduled for a pace maker as i started taking meds to lower my heart rate and i have had numerous appointments since then. I have no complaints with Kaiser Permanente, the nurses and medical teams are great and through. I had an appointment today and was very pleased with the results, I am very happy with Kaiser.

Mark

Our family has used Kaiser for over 30 years. It has taken good care of us through routine and emergency needs and we have appreciated the preventive and needed health care we have received. It can be frustrating to wait for certain parameters to be reached for some surgeries, but otherwise, they are right on for getting things done. As my family has grown and left home, the biggest complaint is that Kaiser is not easily located in the states where they now live. Kaiser is good for covering emergency treatment in those areas, but it would be nice to have regular doctors and health care available there too.

sexyj76 Fontana, CA

I love Kaiser! I have had them since I was a child in Los Angeles to being an adult now in Fontana. This is one place that I can say is worth the money. Between great and knowledgeable doctors and nurses, to their pharmacy and customer service. If I had an issue, it would get resolved quickly. And if I have a question that I ask through their app, I get an answer within 2 days. (Depending on the question and it not being an emergency

Vicki Clearwater, FL

Carol Manson Music Sacramento, CA

Kaiser’s rollout of the coronavirus vaccine is the worst of all health care providers. We are still waiting to be notified. I’m 70, husband is 83 and mother is 95. Still can’t get in and have not been called 2/8/21. The excuse is CDC is giving them directives but my local Safeway and also Sutter Health Foundation Is giving shots to those 70 and over. This is ridiculous. We’ve been members of Kaiser for 50+ years.

val Oak Harbor, WA

Where to start. First they deny an asthma drug because I hadn't yet used a particular inhaler. OK, tried that one for a month all it did was make the coughing worse to the point I felt as if I were drowning. Dr said now they have to give you what he prescribed. They said no again because I hadn't first tried this other inhaler. My dr's office had to argue with them for 3 days that I had JUST USED IT at their insistence and their "approval". Then, company laid me off with severance and insurance coverage for severance period through cobra. Oh dear god, what a long painful process that was. I finally contacted my former employer and the dept set up to help with cobra. When I mentioned to the young man just who my insurance was through he actually said "oh boy, it felt like you just ripped my heart out" because they have nothing but problems with KP. great. Now, my dr wants me to get and MRI for a known back issue so I can get cortisone shots. Nope, I don't meet criteria. They would rather I pop opioids and lose the use of my leg because they don't want to pay. This will now draw into next year and cause me to spend more money on deductibles while my dr and I fight our way through this. Run like the wind AWAY from this company unless you like having every decision made by your physician questioned and argued with. They do not like to take care of their clients and will fight you for every little item at every turn. Can not WAIT to be able to switch to a different insurance carrier. KP is absolutely the worst at customer care.

Kipton Solmonson Coeur d'Alene, ID

Terrible, greedy, money-centered filth of an insurance company. One time I went to pick up a prescription from Costco for my sick infant, and I got there only to be told they don't take KP insurance. I proceeded to call the KP member line to find out what was awry. The first two of their "in-network" pharmacies in our area he told me I could go to were businesses (former shoko and former kmart) that had been closed and out of business for months, even years.  Another time, you'll love this, I work in a high school building that actually added a Community Clinic right within our building to make ease of service to students, families, & staff without the loss of instructional time (and this project was completely funded by KP itself mind you).  It was over a half-million dollar investment by KP. I thought great, how convenient, because I was coming down with a flu bug and wanted to get it taken care of... I attempted to schedule an appointment and the office secretary asks for my insurance card (with kp) and she proceeds to hand it back to me saying, "I'm sorry sir, we don't accept KP insurance here." I proceeded to call member services and berate them on how completely asinine and absurd that was. The grand finale occurred today when my wife's pre-authoriztion request for an MRI on her lower lumbar area (requested by our chiropractor) was simply denied for no apparent reason other than what I'm assuming is they don't want to pay for it and the appeals process will simply elongate the approval well beyond the calendar year that we will no longer even be a member by the time the service would occur. Fair warning, if you need any pre-authorized service and its past October in the year, good freaking luck trying to get them to approve it in a timely manner. It can take 14 to 45 days the customer service agent says.  This is the absolute worst health insurance provider there has ever been. Avoid them at all costs, no matter what you have to do.  Terrible, greedy, money-centered filth of a business.

Hyunghee Chun Severna Park, MD

I had a plan with Kaiser Permanente for a little over 5 years. Saturday they sent me an e-mail telling me that my plan is terminated because my last reoccurring payment did not go through. I called to pay it (having to wait until Monday because they don't operate on weekends) and they told me they aren't allowed to re-activate terminated plans. I moved over 3 years ago and tried to update my address with them, but apparently it did not go through because they can't even change an address of their active plan holders who have signed up via MD Health Connection. I received no paperwork about my 1 time reoccurring payment that did not process before they decided to terminate.

lzl Dallas, GA

Their doctors are mostly ok for your basic day-to-day healthcare issues, but you better hope you never, ever need to have surgery! It takes over 2 weeks to have a schedule even call to book you, and oftentimes another 2-3 months after that for your surgery date. It's ridiculous! And this is NOT a Covid issue, this is how it's always been. You'll easily spend 4-5 months in pain from initially seeing a doctor, to the surgery date.

Rahim Sabadia Yorba Linda, CA

Excellent overall care. Very responsive and their online platform and tools make it very easy to keep track of appointments, lab results and communications with health care providers.

Gonzalez Carmichael, CA

Amazing!! I love the ease of all services provided in under one roof. The doctors are great and professional. Theres is one or two problems but thats everywhere and you have control.

Russ Wenatchee, WA

Take their time even when it an mri for a pressing issue that's causing you pain, as long as it doesn't affect their pay who cares.

Odao Ogbonmwan Mableton, GA

I really like Kaiser Permanente, the convenience of getting all my prescriptions and paying for all my doctors visits at once in the same place is very helpful for me. I wish we could’ve been able to stay with them but it got too expensive and had to go with another one. If it wasn’t so much to pay each month I’d go back.

John G. Pasadena, CA

As a Kaiser member for a good portion of my life, I'd say it has been, by far, the best health care I've had. The convenience of how its integrated care system works is truly exceptional. Those that give it fewer stars obviously have a bone to pick with KP, so be wary.

Mary Calloway

All services with same facility can be referred to specialist after initial visit with primary doctor. Doctors really listen and schedule appropriat test with no hassle over cost. Can get durable medical supplies at nomimal cost. The list goes on and on.

Lorraine Johnson Selma, CA

kaiser has been good for me and my family for the most part but i have had a couple of physicians that i would never deal with again. I also have had some of the best doctors and nurses and practitioners care for me at kaiser. the staff in all the departments have been very helpful and kind and show they care about you.

Ray Reyes Fuquay-Varina, NC

Great service I went to one of their office while I was in the ARMY in Maryland and they treat me like a king. their staff are real professional and I have a friend that work with them and he does not have any complain at all. One of the BEST one.

Linda Bonogofski Canby, OR

I really like my doctor at Kaiser. I always receive answers to my questions very quickly. She has a very conscience attitude toward me and I feel very comfortable with her and I value her advice. She is prompt to refer me to a specialist when needed and always refers me to a doctor who can really help me. I am looking forward to seeing her as soon as this COVID19 settles down. I also really appreciate the lab testing sets up for me as well. The lab people really know what they are doing and I have never been hurt when they draw blood.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

What can I say I was born at Kaiser 43 years ago. My oldest son was born there and I loved it. My parents both have Kaiser now when I moved to a state they did not have it I was very sad. It was my favorite to have everything basically together where you’re paying one fee and all the doctors work for one company. I loved the hospital. My parents have complained a little bit over the years as far as price is going up and that a lot of people have them but they still stay with them so that says a lot