Kaiser Permanente Logo

Kaiser Permanente

6.5

LAST UPDATED: June 19th, 2022

Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945. It is a nonprofit health insurance provider with years of industry experience. It offers employer-provided plans, Medicaid, Medicare, charitable health insurance, and other private insurance plans. Kaiser Permanente's plan selection makes it easy for people to find good health insurance. Its plans are available in eight states and Washington, D.C.

Kaiser Permanente offers quality patient treatment and care through its networks, which also makes it a good option. Kaiser Permanente health insurance plans provide insurance coverage at Kaiser Permanente hospitals and clinics. Each Kaiser facility is staffed with high quality health care providers including primary care physicians and specialists.

Members can receive several different kinds of medical care and treatment at one medical center, which makes receiving health care treatment convenient. This offering makes Kaiser Permanente stand out from other insurance providers. While some may find the restriction to receiving care only at a Kaiser Permanente Center, it is helpful if there's a Kaiser Permanente clinic or hospital in your community.

View Kaiser Permanente Reviews

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Easy to View Plan Options
  • Variety of Health Insurance Plans
  • Charitable Health Insurance
  • Unique Provider Network Approach
  • Member Services and Resources
  • Additional Tools and Perks
  • Customer Service

Positive Customer Reviews

A majority of Kaiser Permanente's reviews are positive. Reviewers mention good experiences with care providers and the convenience of working with Kaiser Permanente.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Vicki from Clearwater, Florida

"I was with them for years and I really loved them. All your doctors, hospital, tests, specialists and medications are Kaiser and in their facilities. You should check for your nearest Kaiser hospital/medical center first because most of your tests are done there. But being all in one it is incredibly easy to get everything you need done. The web site is also really good. You can check your appointments, test results, re-order prescriptions very easily."

Easy to View Plan Options

The plan selection at Kaiser Permanente is quite admirable. Kaiser Permanente won't require you to give out personal information like your date of birth or parts of your medical history to get even the most basic information about its insurance policy options in your area.

You just say whether you are turning 65 during the year, whether you get insurance through an employer, and whether you are looking for a plan for yourself or for a group. Then you input your zip code to see health insurance options in your area.

Getting the cost information for a plan will require further research because the monthly premium depends on several factors, like age. But the initial questionnaire will give you access to brief descriptions of the types of plans available and the overall coverage you can expect.

Variety of Health Insurance Plans

Kaiser Permanente offers individual, family, and employer-provided health insurance plans. Employer-sponsored plans help employers add value to their employees' benefits package.

Kaiser Permanente also offers Medicaid, Medicare, and charitable health insurance to individuals who qualify. It also offers catastrophic plans. Some Kaiser Permanente plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). An HSA allows you to save pre-tax dollars to use to pay for medical expenses. Funds in your HSA roll over year to year.

Employers interested in adding vision and dental insurance to their employee health benefits can offer dental and vision insurance through Kaiser Permanente.

Premiums, coverage, copayments, coinsurance, annual out-of-pocket limit, and annual deductible, of course, depend on the individual plan. Before purchasing a health insurance plan, it's important to understand the full cost of the plan, which is not just the monthly premiums. In some cases, it may make sense to pay higher insurance premiums to have lower out-of-pocket expenses.

Charitable Health Insurance

Kaiser Permanente also provides charitable health coverage for low-income individuals who don’t qualify for public health insurance or have access to private health insurance. This offering makes it stand out from other health insurers.

Kaiser Permanente provides subsidies on premiums for these plans and additional financial assistance for out-of-pocket costs when care is received at Kaiser Permanente facilities for covered services.

These plans are available in California, Colorado, Georgia, the Mid-Atlantic (Maryland and Virginia), and Oregon. The name of the Kaiser Permanente’s charitable health coverage is different in each region

Unique Provider Network Approach

As you consider Kaiser Permanente medical insurance plans, keep in mind that it does not offer typical network structures, like Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans. Instead, Kaiser Permanete has its own facilities and providers for patient care. Care received elsewhere is not covered by the insurance provider. If you're interested in a plan with more typical network structures, consider other health insurance companies.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Fay Falatea from Kaneohe, Hawaii

"Me and my family have been insured by Kaiser Permanente for 13 years. The Drs I had were great and customer service from the receptionist was always pleasing. Was sad when I had to change to another insurance."

You should also consider the coverage offered by a plan before finalizing enrollment. Most plans fully cover preventive care. See what the coverage looks like for other treatment, care, or services you may need.

Member Services and Resources

Kaiser Permanente members have access to some great benefits, like an online member portal, mobile app, and glossaries of terms. My Health Manager is the name for the online member portal through which you access your account. Through My Health Manager, you can

• View the benefits of your health plan
  • Make a payment
  • Download a form you need
  • Set up (or change) a date for a doctor's appointment
  • Email your primary care physician or specialist about a minor question
  • View your medical record

Extra abilities like viewing your medical records make this member portal, even more, personalized and convenient. Plus, members can benefit from Kaiser Permanente's mobile app that allows you to do many of these same tasks.

For members, there's also a dedicated FAQ section that gives you answers to questions you may have about getting an ID card, looking up a Kaiser doctor, and paying a bill.

There is also a dedicated member phone number to contact as well. Kaiser Permanente eases not only logistics but also health care education. Members and nonmembers alike can use Kaiser Permanente's glossary of health care terms, which might come in handy when shopping for a plan, learning how to use your benefits, looking up a provider, and more. Resources like these make the company more transparent and customer-centric.

Additional Tools and Perks

Kaiser Permanente offers many of the same added advantages that other health care insurance companies offer: discounts on health-related products, education about health care as an industry, and a mobile app. These added perks demonstrate Kaiser Permanente's dedication to supporting its members' health and well-being. Each company that offers these additional features puts its own twist on these features, and Kaiser Permanente is no exception.

The mobile app for this company is called the Kaiser Permanente Mobile App, and it allows members to do many of the same tasks that the member portal does. These include contacting your doctor, making a payment, finding a health care providers and medical offices, and viewing your medical history.

Kaiser Permanente has a lot of different discounts as well. Some of these are for fitness club memberships and for massage therapy. In addition, Kaiser Permanente has a wealth of information in its health guide.

Kaiser Permanente also offers health classes and healthy lifestyle programs to help people live healthier lives. If you're trying to make a healthy change in your diet, if you're trying to quit smoking or lose weight, or if you're struggling to manage a chronic illness, these resources would be helpful for you.

Kaiser Permanente values high-quality care. The company website is very helpful, with lots of details about the types of plans Kaiser Permanente offers, member resources, and ways to make the most of the plan benefits.

Kaiser Permanente also makes it possible for customers to get help in either English or Spanish as well.

Flexibility is found in other areas, too. With a health plan here, you can switch doctors at any time and use the find a doctor tool to find a different Kaiser physician. Kaiser Permanente has millions of members. With so many customers to serve, the company has developed a wide selection of resources. The company is transparent about its health plans. It makes navigating the member portal easy and intuitive. Kaiser Permantente anticipates customer questions well.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Negative Customer Reviews
  • Service Areas
  • Limited to Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Medical Centers
  • No International Health Insurance

Negative Customer Reviews

Kaiser Permanente has also received a high percentage of negative reviews on BestCompany.com. A high proportion of negative reviews is not uncommon for health insurers. However, consider issues found in reviews as you decide whether or not to buy a health plan from Kaiser Permanente.

Reviewers who left 1-star reviews on BestCompany.com shared difficulties with claims payments and dissatisfaction with care received from Kaiser Permanente's providers.

Service Areas

One major limitation of Kaiser Permanente is the span of states that Kaiser Permanente can work with. This company limits itself to just several states out of 50, which means its health plans aren't even an option for you if you live outside of these states. If Kaiser Permanente's plans are not available in your area, you'll need to consider another insurance company.

Limited to Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Medical Centers

Unlike most health plans that allow enrollees to choose the provider network structure (PPO or HMO), Kaiser Permanente plans only offer coverage for its hospitals and medical centers.

If you prefer to have more options when choosing a physician, you may want to consider another insurance provider that offers out-of-network coverage with some of its plans.

No International Health Insurance

Unlike some of Kaiser Permanente's competitors, the insurer does not offer international health plans. If you are looking for an international health plan for your company or yourself, you'll need to find another health insurance company.

The Bottom Line

Kaiser Permanente is a great company for health insurance because of its industry experience and plan offerings. It offers many different types of health plans, including group plans for employers to offer employees, plans for individuals and families, and charitable health insurance for those who are not eligible for Medicaid but also can't afford to purchase their own health insurance plan. Kaiser Permanente also offers dental and vision coverage, and good member resources.

For specific information on plans, insurance premiums, and out-of-pocket expenses in your area, contact Kaiser Permanente directly or visit its website.

In fact, the main reason you may not want to use Kaiser Permanente's insurance might just be that you don't live in a region that this company services. For that reason, Kaiser Permanente is admittedly more limited than some competing insurance carriers. If Kaiser Permanente's medical facilities are not convenient to you, you may want to consider another insurer for purchasing health coverage.

If you want more flexibility when choosing care providers, you may also want to find an insurance company that offers out-of-network coverage.

Depending on the type of coverage you're looking for, Kaiser Permanente's plan details might not match up either. However, Kaiser Permanente members benefit from great member services. These include an online portal to manage your health plan, a mobile app, and discounts on health-related products. You'll experience these excellent benefits when you buy a plan from Kaiser Permanente.

For the right customers, this company offers transparency and a common goal to keep you healthy, both of which build trust.

Call our recommended rep over at Kaiser Permanente below.

2.7

J G Hillsboro, OR

My doctors are constantly rotating to different departments, which leaves me searching for Yet Another PCP. How about some continuity of care?! Today I called to have an expired RX refilled (used only as needed) and the Care Nurse treated my symptoms as if this was a completely new malady for me. Then she informed me I’d likely need to be seen in person first - because it was obvious to her I was diagnosing myself… Well of course I was!!! I’ve been dealing with this issue since surgery over 15 years ago. All I need is some topical Estrogen cream - not a Controlled Substance! All of this for a REFILL… Come on, Cole, quit trying to look for things that simply are not there.

Savannah PavoReal Richmond, CA

I have had this insurance for six months. I just finally received my member cards today. I filed a complaint at the first of the month and have yet to hear from anyone regarding my concerns. When you call to speak to someone you get sent in this automated phone loop and they have someone from a call center to call you back and then they’ll tell you after waiting for an hour that you have to talk to somebody and member services well duh member services is the number that I’m calling so they put you back into the phoneLoop where you are then in. Phone loop hell. I went to the lab in Pinole it started off with the vampire bitching about my veins and acted like she couldn’t possibly work under these poor conditions then she job the needle in my arm and when she finish she slammed a cotton ball with some paper tape across my elbow before I could even get to the car I looked down at my elbow and there was a marble size blood bubble that burst as soon as I got in my car. Blood squirted across my car and it took me about 20 minutes to get the bleeding to stop. So if I could give this place less than one star after six months not having access to their kp.org app because it’s constantly down and it’s the only way you can get information about your health care I say skip this place. It’s far less stressful to be without health insurance than to have to go through the Kaiser Permanente hell

Amanda Kropf Puyallup, WA

If I could rate kaiser a 0 I would. Absolutely the worst experience with insurance I have ever had. It is impossible to get sick appts... and customer service is absolutely terrible. When we can switch insurance companies for next year I will 100% be changing. If your reading this and considering choosing kasier... DO NOT EVER CHOSE KAISER

Frank Herbert

I have been a member of Kaiser since the 1980's and have used their services in Virginia, Northern and Southern California and Oregon. My family has been covered as well. My children were born in Kaiser hospitals and have received all of their vaccinations and eyeglasses from Kaiser. I had successful cancer surgery and my wife has had both knees replaced and cataract surgery as well. We have complete trust in the doctors and nurses and find it easy to access them in person and online. We have all our medicines mailed to us. The overall cost is substantial, but we have minimum deductibles and worldwide coverage. There is occasional staff turnover but the quality of care has always remained high.

frank olear Cumming, GA

They don’t allow zero starts so I was forced to give them a one!!!!One of the worst run companies in the world!! I just received a notice that I owe 544.00 from an appointment from August of last year!!! 8 months to bill me!!! Not to mention I had left over money in my FSA account that went to waste!!!!! Kaiser tells me they have up to a year to bill you!!!! Stay away from this company! We left Jan 1 and it’s been amazing dealing with a real health provider!!!! Adios Kaiser, I will post this everywhere!

Anna Parks Kenmore, WA

My experience with Kaiser has been absolutely awful. I am struggling with a health condition that has gone on for five months now and none of the many specialists and doctors I have seen have shown me any compassion or empathy for what I am going through. They are unable to diagnose my condition and instead shove me out the door with the "give it time". Well Kaiser, every time you close the door on me and don't give me the time of day I go back to daily pain. I used to think I could go to doctors when I was in pain and needed help. I no longer trust the doctors that Kaiser provides and will be switching my insurance immediately.

Adrienne L Englewood, CO

They are liars and scam artists just like every other insurance. They quote you one rate but change it completely after billing.

Dayna Denver, CO

I haven't even had this insurance for one week and it's seriously the worst experience I've had. I have one prescription to transfer and I've been on the phone all week trying to get it transferred. They said they wouldn't transfer the prescription unless I saw one of their doctors. I talked to their schedulers and they couldn't get me in before I would miss a dose. They told me to contact the doctor about my situation. I did and their office called me and said they wouldn't perscribe it before my appointment. Then I rescheduled my appointment with a different provider further away. I get to the appointment only to be told the provider they scheduled me with could not perscribe the medication. I went all the way down there and took off of work for absolutely nothing. They are a cheaper insurance option. Which is why I decided to give them q chance, but they have proven you get what you pay for. Update: they were able to get me in to see an actual doctor and they were able to renew my prescription. The new doctor I saw was great! While there does still seem to be organizational issues and I had to fight a lot to get what I wanted, it did end up working out. Overall, some doctors are great while some of the staff don't know what they are doing.

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

When we lived in California, I had Kaiser insurance for my son. I never had any complaints with his insurance, we used it a lot since he has sever asthma, so breathing treatments...late night ER visits etc. At one point he broke his foot and the medical staff at the Kaiser hospital were absolutely wonderful! We never had a dispute with the insurance and the Kaiser pediatricians that we saw were always very kind and super attentive. At one point I took my son in because he had a weird brown stripe on one of his fingernails and the doc wasn't sure what it was, so he took some pictures and sent us on our way saying that we were going to monitor it to see if it got worse. He ended up calling us that night after he had researched it and gave us an answer, he said he couldn't stop thinking about it. We have never had that happen before! Overall, I wish that there was a Kaiser in the state we live in now.

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

My wife and I have been on Kaiser Permanente for about 20 years. Their customer service is very good, but they have some really, really great doctors and a wellness plan that we use so we don't have to see them often. I've never had problems getting good medical card from Kaiser, even when I had to go to the hospital for treatment. There was no delay in getting approvals and they followed up afterwards to make sure everything was OK and make sure I was continuing my recovery at home. They established drive thru COVID testing so getting tested was quick, easy, and free. So, why only 4 stars? There is room for improvement. They sometimes take too long scheduling an appointment. Also, I've had to change primary doctors 3 times because the PCP I was using left Kaiser to go elsewhere. I've also had occasional problems with the mail order pharmacy, although that is improving.

joshua wright Eugene, OR

It's the worst experience to get anything done with K.P., you have schedule everything yourself, you can't see anyone in person, appointments are two to three months in advance. You see a different doctor everytime. You're better off doing nothing about your health than trying to have these people fix it.

Raha aban Seattle, WA

The Kaiser is the worst insurance plan I've ever used. Long wait time for doctor's visits, and the doctors often do not know what to do. unhelpful representative and front desk. Making an appointment is such a nightmare with the Kaiser all the time.

Marie Concord, CA

Kaiser is the absolute worst. I was put on a waitlist to see a provider, I even called twice over the past 4 months to check if I was still on the waitlist and they told me to just be patient. I finally got ahold of someone who was actually willing to check and was informed that I had been taken off because I had “already spoken to a provider.” Complete waste of time and money

Patricia Hale Atlanta, GA

Make video appointments, doctor checks in 40 minutes before appointment, closes appointment 10 minutes later so can't see doctor. Impossible to get prescriptions refilled out of state, make appointment with kaiser doctor, doctor orders prescription for wrong medication, can't get them to change (due to no response to calls and emails). Have tried all day to get a hold of pharmacy to fill a correct prescription, no answer, so try customer service, on hold here too. You get no medical service with hours and days of trying and even then it is often to no avail. For example, have been trying to get a procedure since 11/1, will finally get it (hopefully) on 3/25.

omari newell Waldorf, MD

I went to wash dc capitol hill location on 3/21/22 and their greeter was very rude when I asked why only I was asked to use hand sanitizer. She stated with an attitude because they are employees. Cov19 affects everyone your not safe because your an employee

Monique Sacramento, CA

Kaiser use to be good, but they have seriously went downhill. I been having so many issues with the providers how they do not want to listen and check you for health issues. I have asthma and the doctor wanted to just prescribe me so many meds which i am allergic to half of them. All i needed was to make sure my airways were open and maybe predisone. My daughter went in there for chest pains after she had the vaccine they said its normal u might have anxiety. My husband had an open incision that was done in er he went for a follow up appt and all the doctor did was glance at it and said ur fine. He asked for more gauze and he gave him 2 and said that should be enough and let me tell u this incision is deep where it will take almost 3 to 4 weeks to heal. My youngest was also born with asthma and she had a flare up they only allowed her to to a video appt and only prescribed her 2 prednisone pills which she usually has to take it for 5 days when she has a flare up. I am sorry but this is not ok especially we have really good insurance through my employer.

Nika O Silver Spring, MD

The good thing about Kaiser was most things are under one roof and it was easy to agree with a primary doctor on therapies and tests I needed. Also I could see the results of the tests in my account. Plus they paid for my thyroid medicine. Things are noe different with Carefirst - they did not pay for the medication that worked for me over a decade and offered something else instead!! And not only that. The only problem with Kaiser was the termination process and a letter for my next year payment shocked me, but I sorted this out. Hope Kaiser's customer service is better.

Sarah Huda Los Angeles, CA

I love the fact everything I need is in one building and communication between departments is easy - referrals is just to another floor. However, getting an appointment for some departments is MONTHS and is such a pain searching between other locations

LCC Vallejo, CA

When my family and I were living in the Bay Area, we used Kaiser as insurance and I love that we can schedule our own appointments online (we have an option to call to schedule) or you can do it yourself (I prefer this) - you can also see your doctors schedule and availability (usually, if I wanted an appointment the same week, like today is Monday, majority of the time, I could get a Wednesday appointment or earlier). Anyway, I also gave birth to my daughter at a Kaiser hospital and I had a great birthing experience and stay (my daughter was born at 35 weeks) so we stayed a few extra days. Fast forward to now, we recently moved back to the place where I grew up (not in California, anymore) so we had to unfortunately give up our Kaiser insurance and go with whatever was available at our location. Scheduling alone, I cannot do it on my own and I scheduled yesterday for a yearly checkup & yesterday was June 19th, my appointment is July 19th. What in the actual...? I also got my hearing tests done with Kaiser and got my hearing aids from them (unfortunately, no insurance covers the cost of hearing aids since it's considered cosmetic) - I wish Kaiser would fix this especially for people who have hearing loss (trust me, no one wants to spend $3500 on hearing aids, and for sure we don't consider it cosmetic to be wearing hearing aids or to even own them!) That is my only negative thing, I feel that Kaiser could at least give a 50% discount on them. I basically had to use my travel savings for my hearing aids because they didn't even have monthly payments available. I do miss our Kaiser insurance and just having everything in 1 location - we lived nearby a Kaiser hospital so we got everything done at that location, only time I went to another location which was only 3 miles away from the hospital was when I got my hearing tests done and did a fitting for my hearing aids.

Roberta C. Mableton, GA

I'm in my 60's and have been covered by Kaiser for almost 20 years. I can think of only 2 occasions when I received substandard treatment, and it was related to Kaiser referrals to locations outside of their own facilities. I am very cost conscious and budget-oriented. I don't like to play Russian roulette with health care costs because I can't afford it. I need to know covered/uncovered expenses beforehand, so I can make good decisions about discretionary care. Kaiser health plan details are laid out in an understandable manner that manages my expectations. The only missing ingredient is how much a procedure costs to calculate my portion of the expense. I can call Kaiser to get the info, or some procedure expenses can be accessed through their member web site after login. Kaiser is continually upgrading their computer systems for members to access more of their health info on-line. Some of the things I've done in their system is make an appointment, emailed my doctor, checked test results (blood test results are generally posted within 24 hours, so I can see the results even before the doctor!), ordered prescription refillls , etc. I like Kaiser because "rooftops" come with their health plans. Their closest location to my home is their Cumberland facility. I don't have to worry about in-network or out-of-network. Everybody at their multiple Atlanta metro Kaiser building locations are employed by Kaiser, which translates to in-network care. I don't have to shop for any doctors because Kaiser employs primary doctors, specialty doctors, and even vision doctors. I just wish they had a dentist!!! Although I've never had to deal with a serious illness, I do have a couple of non-life threatening chronic conditions that need minimal attention. Whenever I experience an acute illness, I call Kaiser and they get me in to see their doctor or intern the same day. If unable to do so, I always have the 24/7 option to walk in to their new Town Center emergency care in Kennesaw. It's setup like a hospital. I used it once on a weekend. Each exam room includes a hospital bed, so if necessary, they can keep you overnight. I think they are equipped to handle all emergencies except for surgery. I have confidence in the Kaiser doctors I've encountered and feel like they give me excellent care. Whenever I visit, they document their diagnosis and care instructions on their computer during my exam. When I leave, they print a copy for me, so I don't have to remember what they said and all the things I need to do to remedy my illness! (They are a little pushy on preventive services, but they do respect my choices in that regard.) I've observed positive changes in Kaiser resulting in continual efficiencies. Appointment check-in is quicker with each visit to the point where last month, I used a kiosk to check-in. The staff is friendly and service-oriented and very conscientious about "wait times". It's time for me to make a choice for 2019 health care coverage. The cost of Kaiser coverage for my situation (I've been buying through healthcare.gov ie the affordable care act) is substantially higher, which has put me in the shopping mode. I'm stymied by the PPO providers like Ambetter and Blue Cross regarding in-network/out-of-network. If I'm in an ambulance being rushed to the nearest hospital, I won't have control over "networks" and I don't want to go bankrupt over something outside of my control. Effective in 2018 Kaiser is using Emory Hospitals in their network. In the past Kaiser provided coverage at any emergency facility until it is feasible to transport me to "their" hospital. I'll need to recheck that element, as it is a valuable component, which will influence my 2019 coverage decision. Typing this review has been therapeutic in consolidating my thoughts about Kaiser. I didn't realize how much I appreciated them until I wrote this review. It sounds like I've talked myself into another year of Kaiser coverage, but will continue to research other options for a few days to be sure I've done all my homework. It has been most helpful for me to read reviews for other health care providers on this Best Company site, and I hope you get that same benefit from my review. I hope I live to see the day where everybody gets the same good care across the board without this painful annual process!

BARBARA MILLER Perris, CA

I was billed from collections from two years ago. The problem is they never sent me a bill from two years ago, so I just received a notice my account went collections and must be paid write away. I called kaiser and was transferred four times no one knew who to transfer me to. I was told let me transfer you to someone who could assist me, but finally the last person was someone in Colorado I live in so calif what? yes, they were rude to me after that. I finally spoke with someone in collections who told me kaiser was behind form the covid surg. I had to pay for their mistake. The kaiser reps were not knowledgeable. I paid the bill and called membership services. I did not want my perfect credit score ruined over their mistake. I have requested a refund form kaiser we will see what happens. Watch your billing!

Richard Eggers Laguna Hills, CA

If you are on Medicare, Kaiser will do its best not to diagnose diseases until they become catastrophic. I had ABPA, clear symptoms included: Head to toe Hives, Rhinitis, Conjunctivitis, Chest pain, shortness of breath, emergency room visit with CT pulmonary which showed lung abnormalities. Dermatology did not look at my hives, I had to suggest showing them. They went on to make up causes from things I had used for years: shampoo-prescribed 2 weeks of Prednisone, After 4 weeks hives return-laundry detergent-2 weeks prednisone. After 4 weeks hives return-2weeks prednisone, but no plan. Change Dermatology Dr. who only worked with me via phone calls! Dr notes omitted worse symptoms completely. I then self diagnosed that I had acquired ABPA (asthma + lung abnormalities) and requested Aspergillosis Blood test. The results were not given to me. Result: 5 months of extreme pain (hives, chest, breathing) and Dr's continued attempts to mis-direct diagnosis. Went to VA clinic (I am a Vietnam era vet) and got immediate and supportive help.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Pros: Quick to schedule appointment and reply to email inquiries. Cons: They are not as attentive to ones health as other healthcare providers. Health is more of a business to Kaiser.

Erica TX

Initially I loved Kaiser.. I've been a member since I was a child, and they were even a client of mine for 3 years when I assisted in staffing their healthcare professionals. Overall I had no negative experience, until recently! I have been on the same medication for 15 years and have conveniently refilled my prescription online with no issues. Ever since I relocated back to GA in 2018, it has been so difficult to get my medication, as they're making me schedule appointments with doctors every time I need a refill, and it's very inconvenient to keep taking time off work to speak with someone about a medication I've been on for over a decade. My parents, too, are fed up and are transferring healthcare providers after being with them for so long. It's quite upsetting and now here I am having to get off my birth control since they refuse to refill it unless I meet with an OBGYN. That is absurd considering 5 weeks ago I met with a doctor and had a pap smear and physical done... WHY DO I NEED ANOTHER APPOINTMENT??? This has been an ongoing issue since 2018, so you could imagine my frustration which led me to leave this review.

Sweet Nouveau Palmdale, CA

Kaiser Permanente failed me yet again after gmover 20 years with them I have now realized I mean nothing to them except a digital number. I suffered over 12 hours in the emergency room over an issue that was already known. My dogs were treated better than myself and the others in the emergency room where those were screaming in pain. I live in Southern California , They are understaffed and under trained and I almost died. I went to urgent care triage but they sent me to the local hospital since there is no Kaiser hospital out here and I was put in line in emergency room with very sick other people. All I needed was pain medication and urgent attention. I am leaving Kaiser, they have proven over and over again they are overwhelmed and have taken up a majority of the illegal immigrants that are coming into this country . I have major Gastro issues and my doctor never even touched me to feel my stomach. What kind of doctor does it touch you? Beware of what is going on people and move on

waynecloud Hawthorne, CA

Kaiser is 95% Bureaucracy--too bad because the care side the pencil pushers leave-- is wonderful. But, It takes 40 minutes to reach any of their call centers--on average--since Spring 2021. It takes about 30 days to get any appt with your Primary Care--so they send you to ER for anything much, and then you have to pay your hospital co-pay PLUS your monthly fee, to actually be seen or receive care--and the ER Dr.'s are grumpy about it. But the bureaucrats love it because your monthly coverage goes up by about 30% without any changes being made at all to your plan. You'll get your flu or covid shots at CVS long b/4 Kaiser offers them to you Your pharmacy will have serious delays and "issues"...If you travel much by the time you receive your refills you'll be out of town. But don't worry. Kaiser will send them to your nearest out-of-network pharmacy for 10 times the rate your contracted for under your plan. But once you are seen--if you push your way to a doctor-- you will love your doctors--at every level. The nurses are mostly grumpy though b/c...low staffing, budget cuts everywhere, blaming CoVid for hiring low wage nurses to replace the regular nurses, etc. etc. and lots of people sicker patients b/c the patients generally can't get through the hurdles in the system now to get to care...leads to unhappy/over-worked nurses. So sad, but it must be the way of socialized care a la Kaiser and E. Warren, right?

Stephen Foltz Portland, OR

The only good thing about Kaiser is the people that work in the ER, hospital and labs. But their membership support needs help. They were good at making sure all my prescriptions were up to date, but the website is hard to navigate, links do not always work, previous visits, vaccinations, etc. are never listed in alphabetical order or by date order. Phone numbers that are listed as 7 days a week and daytime hours are closed. I get a text that my prescription can't be refilled due to a payment issue and then I can't get through on the phone. Third try I'm told they are closed on weekends. I really enjoyed the consistent communication and services I received from Adventist Health in Portland. Kaiser cannot begin to compare to the efficiency of Adventist Health systems. AHS is not perfect, but much better overall.

W Kelly New York, NY

Based on experience in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I've been a KP customer for more than 25 years. The medical services have been outstanding. Fortunately, my family has great genes and has been generally healthy, overall. The only issues I have observed is an apparent long-standing lack of ability on the IT/IS side of the house. On-Line applications like pharmacy and bill pay work poorly. I've never been able to pay on-line for co-pays that were for some unknown reason not collected from family members at the time of service. The mobile application either hangs or entry fields are missing or are non-responsive. Correct passwords sometimes do not function. The pharmacy shows items available for refill when they are not. "Your Prescription Is Ready" notifications that were filled in person are texted hours after they were picked up. I refilled last night at 11pm and was notified at 8am that this prescription was ready. Pharmacy app is apparently unable to discriminate between controlled and non-controlled prescriptions, although they are handled differently. Other communications from Kaiser seem to work well.

Tino Ze , FL

Have been with Kaiser since i've been in the United States, so 17 years. Have not had an issue with them. Perhaps because I do not have any pre-existing conditions and just need basic health care. I love how they are easily accessible. When I lived in MD Kaiser was just 13 minutes drive and now I'm in VA, its a 20 minutes away which is not bad. Signing up is easy. You can pay your premiums through their website. Premiums are a bit pricy but that's like that with all insurance providers. You can get your test results quickly and also you can easily check them online. If you need records of your past medical visits, including immunizations, they are all available online and can be downloaded via PDF.

Janice Tucker Pinole, CA

I've been with Kaiser for over 30 years. they have taken care pf all my health needs including routine medical care, HBP and diabetes, spinal surgery, accidents with broken bones, and much more. I've had acupuncture and physical therapy for back problem and my medications prescribed and OTC are my medications are reasonably priced and delivered. I have been very satisfied with their services down through the years..

I'm Evans Ellenwood, GA

Reneathia P. B, MD Was awesome! My son has been an established patient since Jun 2019; although I’ve always has a good experience at KP, Dr. B made it a memorable one. She loving, caring, but most of all concerned! She went over and beyond during my visit with her. May God bless such a woman of her character! I am forever grateful, thank you for choosing such wonderful professionals.

Linda Kelley

I love Kaiser, I have been with them since I was 15 in 1965. I've been fortunate to have a job that offered Kaiser for myself and family then my husband got a job that paid for family and him and we kept Kaiser our whole working life and now retired we have Senior Advantage. I've seen Kaiser grow through the years and improve vastly from my early years. I've never been disappointed with them.

Allen G Helm Arlington, WA

I started seeing a cardiologist in April of 18 and i was diagnosed with afib so i was scheduled for a pace maker as i started taking meds to lower my heart rate and i have had numerous appointments since then. I have no complaints with Kaiser Permanente, the nurses and medical teams are great and through. I had an appointment today and was very pleased with the results, I am very happy with Kaiser.

Mark

Our family has used Kaiser for over 30 years. It has taken good care of us through routine and emergency needs and we have appreciated the preventive and needed health care we have received. It can be frustrating to wait for certain parameters to be reached for some surgeries, but otherwise, they are right on for getting things done. As my family has grown and left home, the biggest complaint is that Kaiser is not easily located in the states where they now live. Kaiser is good for covering emergency treatment in those areas, but it would be nice to have regular doctors and health care available there too.

Michael Snyder Greenbrae, CA

The only was to sum up Kaiser is... awful... it takes four to five weeks to get an appointment with a specialist. So a back problem that I am having which should have been handled in 2-2 and and a half months is dragging on unresolved for 7 and a half months.

Baj5527 Brigham City, UT

We had Kaiser when we lived in California and I always had good experiences with them. I had several different Doctors within the organization. My GP was really good. I had bad migraines and some times if I called his office and told them, he would just let me come in to get a sit for my migraine instead of making me go to Instant Care or to ER. He was the best. That was Dr H. I also had a good gastrointestinal Doctor. I have a bad memory so I can’t remember his name but it took me going through two other GI Dr.’s before I got to him. He finally was able to get down to the root of some of the real problems I was having. They got my to a Neurologist who started helping me with those migraines too. I have nothing but good feelings for Kaiser in Riverside, California.

Sharon Stone Liberty Lake, WA

We signed up with them on 1/1/2022 with Kaiser because they were listed on the Health Exchange as an option that worked with my daughter's therapy clinic. I realized on 1/6/2022 that they do not indeed cover, I called immediately to cancel. I have called 6-8 times since then, spending over an hour on hold each time. They not only have not issued a refund, but are still trying to bill us for one of our family members. I ask to speak to a supervisor, and they are always conveniently "not there." DO NOT GET KAISER, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Triston Shelton, WA

Would give 0 stars if I could. Kaiser has done nothing for me and my mental health. I have asked for referrals to counseling countless times and try to get help but they never follow through with what they say they will do. This company will never take responsibility for anything and will pass the blame off on how “busy” they are. If you can, stay as from away from this place as possible.

Mandy Los Angeles, CA

I know you are a big corporation and most likely won’t care about this but I want to make my experience with your company known. I’ve had Kaiser for almost 6 years. At first, when I was younger with no health issues…I thought it was great. Now that I am older and in need of more care, I am stunned at how horrible your company is. I should have known before signing up again how having an insurance company who owns the care is NOT a good mixture. With all my concerns, the doctors have shrugged me off as being “young and healthy” so of course it’s all in my head. I’m beginning to realize that your organization cares only about the bottom line and not actual care of the patient. I have a primary doctor I’ve only seen twice in the last six years. To get an appointment within a reasonable time, it’s with another doctor who doesn’t know you or a NP. I waited 2 months to see a specialist who was 45 minutes away… got there 12 minutes late because of traffic and never being at that big hospital before and was told the doctor most likely won’t see me because I wasn’t on time. (There was one person checking people in which made me 10 more minutes late). I stood my ground and said I’ll wait and then they called my name right away. Really….. I wait 2 months for an appointment but get treated like trash because I’m 12 minutes late!!!! I have been getting ocular headaches. I’ve seen 3 different Kaiser GP who won’t let me see a specialist. I was literally told by the last GP that the doctors get paid regardless of referrals and since I’m young and healthy…. I don’t need to see a specialist. Well thanks for that fact but since you all get paid

AlainL Dallas, GA

Absolutely the worst experience. I would not recommend kaiser as a insurance provider. I have been in hospitals day after day trying to get my father taking care of and with each visit and with each doctor, nurse, physician, and rep. having to re-explain everything over and over. The communication between departments has been absolutely terrible I mean horrendous. I can't get proper communication from anyone or even the concern resolved. It's as if people are dragging their feet and or just don't care (which is how we feel honestly). Are concerns are not addressed and we have been with kaiser for 20+ years. It's as if everyone we are talking to has been incompetent and clueless of how to move forward. Upon our last visit yesterday I had a nurse ask why we are there (when we had an appointment), then a few minutes later another nurse walk in and asked us the same question - saw neither of them again only to reexplain the same issue to the doctor (third person that walked into the room), for them to tell us we have to contact kaiser again. This process overall has been incredibly frustrating, and inconvenient and with no resolution.

Steve E. Colorado Springs, CO

Here in Colorado Springs Co. I would never recommend Kaiser Permanente. They have three office locations and they are not staffed with full specialists, they come down from Denver and the wait can be long when you make an appointment. Even though my coverage is HMO not a PPO Kaiser will make you wait to see one of their doctors that come in from Denver a few times a week. If you have something like heart problems you never knew you had you could end up waiting several months or longer for an appointment and that might not even be with a doctor that can actually help you of diagnose the problem, when that happens it could be another two months. KP's mail order prescription service is horrible a tried it for the first two years under my KP plan and they could never get me my prescriptions on time and several times I ran out of my medicine and that is never supposed to happen. I tried the in town KP pharmacies and they never seemed to have the right medication and if they did you might wait two to three hours for them to fill it. Several times they asked me to come back later and pick them up and that was a long drive over twenty miles. It seems that here in Colorado Springs we are secondary to the Denver area where Kaiser has all their facilities and all their specialty doctors like cardiology, dermatology, all except your regular doctor.

Gemma Estepa Rancho Cordova, CA

Kaiser used to be a good hospital 15 years ago. This year my dad was diagnosed with lymphoma. I brought him to the emergency room and was admitted due to sepsis. He was doing chemo that time and was gonna get his 4th cycle chemo. He was not treated well by nurses at the med surgical unit, There was this nurse named Robin a female MSU nurse, told my dad "can you not stand and go to the bathroom! My dad kept on doing number 2 given the condition of his cancer. And yes I heard that because I was always on FaceTime with my father. Then next day it was the unit secretary for the morning shift 7-3 pm. She went inside my dad's room and said " you cannot have this food. do you know that you are on cardiac diet! She sounds sarcastic and arrogant. Yes, I was on the phone with my dad and yes FaceTime so I heard the secretary and I know her too since I used to work as dialysis nurse. So. I told the MSU unit secretary. My father is a very sick person, he can eat whatever he wants and yes, you can ask his palliative doctor about it. Some Kaiser nurses does not have compassion to patients if your family member goes to Kaiser make sure be by their bedside because some nurses can be so mean and I am a living witness to that. I tell them I am a nurse not to flaunt my profession, that is to let them know that all patients no matter who they are should be treated with compassion and respect. I regret the day, I brought my father to Kaiser. My dad passed away at Kaiser South hospital. He deserved to be treated nicely not roughly.

Resin Slinger Mesquite, NV

Only giving one star because I have to. Kaiser pediatricians suck! Daughter finally when to a Naturopath Dr to finally get results for the YEAST infection my granddaughter has had for 11 months. Kaiser Pediatrician said “I don’t know what this is, but here, use this hydrocortisone on your baby”. What the AF a steroid on a baby? Daughter finally gets appt with Kaiser Dermatologist “I don’t know what this is, but here, try this stronger hydrocortisone steroid on your baby”. Naturopathic Dr says “I think this is yeast, try this concoction of coconut oil and boric acid. Yeast infection GONE IN 3 days! My god, they let my grandchild SUFFER for 11 months.

Matt Spokane, WA

Unfortunately I cannot recommend Kaiser to anybody. I haven’t used my insurance much at all, but just about every time I do there are problems. Within the last 6 months: 1) They have not yet payed for a covered emergency visit while out of town when it’s clearly in the plan. The provider said Kaiser didn't respond which has created a huge headache for me to avoid collections and it is still is not resolved (was a simple test/check for lymes and anibio script). Its been 6 months and they haven't yet paid the provider. 2) The Doctor I saw for a checkup after many years (8) was not very thorough (didn’t even look in my mouth) and the other one I saw for something else seemed very “spacey” (but was nice) at the appointment. 3) I had an internal referral to another one of their offices that did not go through or is still in queue after more than a week. When I call them to figure it out I am put on hold by their automated system prompted with “more than an hour wait time”. I Sent a message internally rather than spend my day on hold and didn't hear back either. 4) I made an appointment in their system with a dr the other week and was called just two days before the appointment for them to cancel it on me. Explanation: “The dr is not in that day...” despite being on the appointment schedule in their system that allowed me to book, confirm, AND check in to the appointment. (cancelled on me right before I was going out of town). The lady told me that I can go to a walk in or schedule an appointment for a different time. 5) I had to get an x-ray this year but they didn’t get sufficient imaging the first time, so I had to go in and pay for another one. In my estimation I have paid in maybe 5x what I have ever received in benefits being a customer of Kaiser Permanente. This insurance provider is just not good based on my experience. I am switching to another provider for next year because I have been through far too much headache with them and I am unhappy.

Meg RP057 Cumming, GA

Kaiser is terrible. Take any other option you have. Some of their doctors are good, but you are just another number to them. My daughter needs mental health care we are very concerned about her and the first available appointment for mental health is 4 MONTHS AWAY. I tried to contact member services about it and got a rude response about using my daughter's account without access even though she had officially given me access through Kaiser. Meanwhile NOTHING was mentioned about her serious issues that my original email was about. They didn't bother to call either of us. I tried to call them but you go through the whole, "if this, press 1, if this, press 2..." When you finally get there you need to have a book to read while you are on hold. My family has been with Kaiser for 25 years and we are finally leaving. They have definitely gone down hill. I would give them negative stars if it was possible

Christopher Dilts Los Angeles, CA

It is very difficult, if not impossible to receive maintenance or preventative health care from Kaiser. It seems that they are adequate for catastrophic conditions requiring immediate hospitalization such as heart attacks or strokes but forget about making any progress for non-emergency health issues. Doctors miss in-person and phone appointments with no advance notice and are apparently so pressed for time that this is not that unusual. Kaiser truly represents our U.S. Health care system gone awry. :-( In over 4 months of persistent efforts on my part, I have received no assistance with foot, ear, and other non-emergency health conditions.

Crystal Vancouver, WA

Kaiser is GARBAGE! I don’t even want to give them 1 star. My husband has been waiting over 18 months for carpel tunnel surgery. They have brought him in 4 times to schedule the surgery to just be pushed back over and over. Most recently our 16 year old son agreed to go to counseling (do you have any idea how hard it is to get a 16 year old to agree to counseling!) when we called, they gave us an intake appointment for nearly 3 weeks later! Are you kidding me! And that’s just a phone call with someone! Not even an actual counseling cession. And this is the 3rd time we have attempted to get him seen by a therapist. I don’t know why my husband spends $1100 to have subpar, mediocre healthcare. 🤬 If you can get coverage ANYWHERE ELSE, DO IT! I am aware of all the obstacles with Covid and such, but that is no excuse for the way things have been handled. So disappointing.

Kimberly McBride Los Angeles, CA

If you don’t get sick, have multiple conditions at the same time, Kaiser is the perfect maintenance plan for you. For me, with multiple conditions that required the elimination of pain before adopting a pain management plan, and real medical care, Kaiser has been the worst place for me and my needs. Doctors and offices didn’t return messages, prescribed conflict medication, pharmacist didn’t inform me of the moderate to severe drug interactions and bounced me around and treated me like a leper because they couldn’t talk me into getting the vaccine until they resolve my pain issue. The grievance area is just as sad and a waste of time as they just copied down dates and sent a letter of information acknowledging my complaint. I just asked for a test concerning my T3 levels which is information necessary to assess thyroid levels and I was basically told they don’t test for that level at Kaiser. Whaaaaaatttt? How can you not test for something that impacts the entire endocrine system? I wouldn’t recommend Kaiser to anyone I care or didn’t care about. This place boast about being the number one teaching and magnet health care system, it should promote their doctors’ medical egos, elitist attitudes, and their limited capacity to create health care plans that promote the real needs and concerns of their patients. Again, I didn’t believe the negative reviews, and my body, peace of mind, and quality of life has paid the price. I have two cabinets full of experimental medication without an ounce of relief. If you chose to ignore this warning, just be prepared to become another medical record number guinea pig as they practice medicine.

jeff prentice El Cajon, CA

I’m permanently disfigured and disabled from their failure to reattach a distal biceps rupture. Pretty much all the literature says it should be reattached immediately. I saw an incompetent physicians assistant and three surgeons and they just pass the buck. Physical therapy saw me once and said they couldn’t do anything. The 20 hours of acupuncture was useless. You can’t sue Kaiser you can only do binding arbitration, and my lawyer said that I wouldn’t have a chance against their team of lawyers since technically this wasn’t malpractice it was just a poor choice on their part since conservative treatment is an option… Just one that should never be exercised. It’s also been over a year and I’ve been unable to schedule a surgery for my trigger finger. Attempts to contact orthopedics just goes into a black hole. They’re really good at ghosting people. Member services is useless. They just dropped silver sneakers from their Medicare plan and as usual they point the finger at Covid. That doesn’t really make sense because they could’ve just as easily suspended that benefit and then restarted it when the gyms opened. I do have a great primary care physician, but that’s about it. When you really need them, they aren’t there. That’s been my experience. I’m switching as soon as enrollment opens up.

Jacqueline Danielle Freeman Laurel, MD

I thought Kaiser was great in the beginning but over the years the service has gone way down hill. It’s very unfortunate. It’s almost impossible to get an appointment with your primary care physician and when you do the wait times are ridiculous. These doctors take their time filling out paperwork that’s important for us regular people to get jobs we need and so on. But they don’t care about that. I went to get blood taken from a 24 hour Kaiser which means I should be able to show up and get my blood drawn. Instead I had to wait 2 hours because they absolutely had know one there at 6:30 am but had no intentions on letting people know. It’s really bad service. I will be switching from Kaiser because it has gotten bad. It’s been so many bad experiences rather then good and I have been with them for years.