Clopay Logo

Clopay

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Clopay has been offering their functional and fashionable garage doors since 1964. Their headquarters are located in the heartland of Ohio. Clopay has two manufacturing plants and 49 distribution centers in 27 states throughout the United States and Canada. The company provides a wide selection of entry and garage doors made from a variety of materials and with different finish options. Their products can be customized to help achieve the vision you’ve always held for your home’s exterior.

Amarr Logo
Amarr chevron_right
2.0
Monarch Door Company Logo
Monarch Door Company chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Variety of Products
  • Warranties
  • Door Imagination System
  • How-to Videos

Variety of Products

Clopay’s residential garage doors are available in a variety of styles including carriage house, raised-panel, and modern—all with convenient overhead operation. Every customer can choose from a variety of colors, woodgrain finishes, materials, and hardware to complement your home’s exterior. Below are some of the products you can choose from:

• Canyon ridge
  • Coachman
  • Grand harbor
  • Classic collection
  • Modern steel
  • Classic wood collection, and much more

Warranties

Clopay offers a one-year installation warranty on all of its garage doors. In addition to this installation warranty, the company offers a variety of other warranties to cover system components, including the following:

Canyon Ridge Collection Ultra-Grain Series and Limited Edition Series

• Five-year warranty on hardware
  • Five-year warranty on torsion springs
  • Three-year warranty on extension springs
  • Five-year warranty on sections/delamination
  • Ten-year warranty on windows (including Overlay Discoloration)

Grand Harbor Collection

• Three-year warranty on hardware
  • Five-year warranty on sections/delamination
  • Ten-year warranty on windows (including Overlay Discoloration)

Gallery Collection Insulated and Non-Insulated, Modern Steel Collection, Classic Collection Premium Series

• Five-year warranty on ColorBlast paint system
  • Three-year warranty on hardware and springs
  • Ten-year warranty on windows

Avante Collection

• Five-year warranty on Single Family paint system
  • One-year warranty on all other paint systems
  • Three-year warranty on hardware and springs
  • Three-year warranty on sections/delamination

Classic Wood Collection and Reserve Collection Custom, Semi-Custom, and Limited Edition Series

• One-year warranty on factory paint
  • Two-year warranty on factory stain
  • One- to five-year warranty on hardware and springs (depending on model number)
  • One- to five-year warranty on sections/delamination (depending on model number)

Door Imagination System

If you would like to see your home reinvented with a Clopay garage and entry door, you’ll love their online garage door visualizer tool. Simply upload a photo of your home or choose from our sample homes, select the door design of your preference and view the door on your home.

How-to Videos

With Clopay each customer can browse dozens of videos on the website for tips to keep their garage door running safely and smoothly. Videos include tips on how to wash your garage doors, garage door safety, manual operation, and more.

The Bad

Limited Distribution Center Locations

Clopay offers has distribution centers located in only 27 out of 50 states in U.S.: New York, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Illinois, Oklahoma, Iowa, Tennessee, Louisiana, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, California, Utah, and Arizona.

The Bottom Line

Clopay have been offering their functional and fashionable garage doors since 1964. Over the last 50 years they have been able able to create a brand that is trusted by their customers. Currently they have dealers in 27 states with 49 locations in United States and Canada. Customers enjoy their large selections of garage door styles, and a door imagination system that allows you to visualize new garage doors on your home.

1.7

Lauren Cheney Glastonbury, CT

I went on Copay's website design center and designed the perfect door. Once complete Copay sent me to the nearest dealer. I than purchase the door $9,000 and waited with excitement for the door to arrive. To my disappointment the door came and was NOT what I ordered. After the fact, I'm told by Clopay Customer Service the design had to be changed to fit my opening and basically too bad you're stuck.

Li Bahadur Parsippany, NJ

We bought a garage door in April 2020 from Home Depot and it was broken after a few months. HD is not responding to our calls despite several calls to the store managers. (Susie/Melvin/Will/Maria). We sent pictures to Clopay as well and every time we call customer service saying they are still reviewing the pictures. In the meantime we cannot get in or out our garage since both doors are broken. We request a refund since is only a few months we bought the door and they are not responding either. Do not buy doors from this company. The quality is very bad and it costs $1,800 for the doors. I will report to the BBB

Barney Brown. Retired usaf veteran Shepherd, MI

I purchased two 9x7 garage doors and elected to install them my self. I have never installed a garage door before but this was a really easy project. I felt pretty comfortable installing them. They went together a lot easier than I thought and they work great. Instructions were easy to follow and so far I am really happy with them. They look great and also work great

jimmy bowles Stafford, VA

purchased a clopay 8x7 insulated garage door with no windows, got it home removed from the box the first thing I saw was a window panel package wrong after removing the rest of the item the other three panels where badly damaged. I called clopay like the indicated on there box with a 800 number got a run around from 3 different customer service rep. No one took responsiblity of my problem then they blame it on home depot but they packaged the box and did not stand behind there brand which said if there any damaged or problems with the material give them a call. What a waste I would take there door if it was free false labeling and damaged goods and no one in there company owning up to it

Adele Thibodeau ,

I am sickened by the poor quality of products that consumers pay good money for and the garage door that I have on my house, Clopay brand, is now included on my list of products to STAY AWAY from. The coachman style is lovely looking however, the top 2 panels bent while the door was lowering. The door needs to be replaced now and no surprise, the company blames the instal.

Stingingfork Chattanooga, TN

I purchased this door from my local HD on Veteran's Day last November 2019 since they offer a 10% discount for Vets a couple of times a year and I needed a new door for a new project I was getting ready to start by December for an expanded work shop. I saw the 14 day warning that I needed to contact them if I had any problems so I inspected the contents and all looked well as far as part quantities and I didn't see any dings in the door panels. This past week we began the installation of the new door and all was going well until I found the second panel where the galvanized end panel plate was out of square by 3/16" with the door so the hinge below from the first panel would not line up with the holes that were shifted over due to the end plate problem. My son called Clopay and talked to a rep and she suggested just taking the two end plate screws out and moving it back in place after we sent her some pics of the problem but my son told her that was not possible since Clopay's mfg. process included 6 spot welds or what might be called rivets along each end panel plate where it connects to the pressed door panel - hard to believe she wasn't aware of the spot welds on their product. Obvious manufacturing defect and I assumed no problem since most reputable companies would replace if proof was shown to prove their defect - wrong with Clopay. Their CS Rep., Sarah, in an email repeated the 14 day issue warranty that Clopay was standing by and would not budge. She stated that we needed to take this up with HD but it wasn't their problem since it was manufactured incorrectly. I could have waited and purchased another brand from HD's next door competitor where I always get a 10% Vet discount all year long but I had purchased a Clopay insulated door for my home 20 years ago from HD and the quality was great but apparently Clopay's quality control has fallen since that purchase and I would have been better to wait and purchase elsewhere just before I was ready to install. I was expecting the same quality from Clopay I got over 20 years ago and if I didn't know better I would have sworn that my door was manufactured in China.

Matthew Heffner Livonia, MI

Let me start this off by saying I am not one to complain, so please take this review with seriousness. I purchased a standard garage door from Menards in early December. We asked if they did installs, and they said they don't, but they recommend local contractors. So we purchased the door, and set up delivery/install on 12/30/2019. The door gets delivered, the installer comes and installs it and everything worked out fine. On January 5th, I went to open the garage door, and the panels start crushing. The top panel was extremely dented, and the next 2 panels were mildly dented. This left my garage door inoperable. I called out an emergency repair guy. He was there within an hour and checked everything out. He said he had no idea what caused this, and it was probably a door failure. He stated everything looked to be installed correctly, and the cost to fix it would be more than I paid for the door itself. Now, I know I bought a cheap door, but to completely fail after 5 days is inexcusable. I called Menards on Monday. They apologized to me, and said that I have to mail a installed product complaint form to corporate, as they don't handle anything on a store level. they shifted blame to corporate. So I mailed a letter with everything that was wrong, along with receipts, pictures etc. I heard back from corporate after almost 2 weeks. They said they sent the info to the production company and it was out of their hands from there. So corporate shifted blame to the company that produced the door. I then got in touch with them. I sent them all the info, receipts, pictures etc. They got in touch with me, and blamed the installer with some obscure rule. So everyone just shifted blame to one another, no one taking responsibility for their faulty product. Not to mention, even if the install was done incorrectly, Menards gave me the name of the contractor. I was in the hole $1200 (door price & install) and I had a door that didn't work and no one was willing to help me. I got in touch with the installer and told him everything that was done & said. He came out the next day and examined everything. He stood by his work and walked me through how everything was installed. He however, did feel for my situation. So him and his crew came out the next day and fixed my door. Now, the dents and bends are still visible, but at least the door works now. So long story short, never purchase products similar to this from Menards. They don't back up their product, they just shift blame so everything is out of their hands. The production company they work with, Clopay Corporation, also shifts blame, so no one is liable for anything and the consumer is screwed.

Palmer Bedford, TX

Worst experience we have ever had, purchased the best, highest rated insulated door from Home Depot August 2019, Clopay's installer stripped the screw during install, we were told stripped screws would not be a problem, we wanted the screws replaced, as this is a moving device the screws are going to loosen even more as time goes on. They have continued to lie to us and Home Depot, we've been totally ignored and totally disrespected in our wishes to have these screws replaced. They were suppose to be here before noon today, (4th time we've been told this), we even told them to just bring us the screws, we'd install them. I think Home Depot needs to evaluate who they use to install their doors here in Texas. I'd give them a -20 star rating if i could, we are VERY, VERY DISSATISFIED WITH CLOPAY AND THEIR INSTALLERS, I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!!!

franko Chesterfield, MO

Have owned my Coachmen series garage door for 10 years and the panels are warping and pulling off the door. I reached out to Clopay and asked about their warranty and was told the door only has a 5 year warranty. I suggested that maybe since a garage door shouldn't be warping after 10 years they would like to offer me a discount to purchase a new Clopay door. I was told that they do not do that to try and keep a loyal client but maybe I could talk the local installation company to cut me a deal. Their warranty department was not at all helpful and did nothing but quote their standard policy. I am thinking maybe another brand would be better for my replacement

Jenn W Spring Hill, KS

We purchased 3 insulated garage doors from Clopay in July 2018 with the highest R value they make in order to have the best doors possible. When they installed them in September 2018, there were huge gaps between the panels and they were pouring rain, snow, and ice into our building, along our walls, and into the insulated door panels. We immediately asked for our money back, but they required us to wait for them to make a new set of doors that they assured us would be right. 4 MONTHS LATER in February 2018 they finally installed 2 of the 3 new doors, but they were leaking and had gaps too so we told them to stop and not waste their time or money on the big 12' x 12' door. We immediately reported the problem. The customer service rep came out. We told her we had to get our business opened and that we were closed down until we had doors the sealed the heat in and the precipitation and elements out. We told them we had waited way too long and the monthly bills for the new building were due every month but we were unable to earn the income required to pay them as long as they had our building shut down. We told them they had their chance and we wanted a refund. They assured us if we went down from an 18 r value to a 9 r value we would not have any problems. We reluctantly agreed to the 3rd chance. 6 weeks later when I checked in on the delivery date, they still had not even approved the new doors and production had not even begun yet. We demanded a refund, which we got about 2 weeks later. We were still told countless times they would be reimbursing us for our damages. I have sent them over the itemized damage list and every week I'm told they will get back with me. It has been 2 months with no resolution offer. They keep saying they're talking to the lawyers and will get back with me (only when I email every week for an update) We have over $30,000 in damages and lost income from this ordeal for the 6 months they had us shut down and not a single offer from these people. The continued delays on our damages is as bad as their continued delay on the warranty process.

William Hellerstedt Blue Ridge, GA

I purchased a 9 by 7 foot Clopay garage door and installed it (actually 2 of them) for a family member. They were reasonably priced and reasonably constructed. Almost immediately the bottom panel and bottom aluminum extrusion gasket retainer were were damaged. It was non-productive for me to search for a replacement panel. I was told that I might be able to call Clopay myself and convince them to sell me a new panel. The home improvement store ordered a new aluminum gasket holder for a total price exceeding $170.00 with delivery to the store.. This item is essentially a piece of aluminum angle iron that attaches to the bottom of the door with groves to hold the rubber gasket. With modern logistics, there is no excuse for Clopay to make it that difficult and expensive to purchase repair parts. I am extremely unsatisfied with post-sale support.

Jamie Linford Fenton, MI

I have 2 Clopay Canyon Ridge doors. After 8 months one of the torsion springs broke. No big deal right? Wrong. It has been 5 weeks since I called for repairs. Spring was not in stock and had to be made. I cannot believe that a large company like clopay would make a customer who paid close to $9000.00 for doors wait 5 weeks for a repair. They did not even expedite the shipping of the spring to the installer once it was received by them. Then it took 5 more days once the installer received it to finally install it. Completely unacceptable. I do nor recommend Clopay doors that are sold by Home Depot.

Rich Smith Andover, MA

I was not satisfied with the color of the door compared to what I picked out in the brochure. They offered a resolution and I’m happy now.

Mike Van Kirk Garden City, ID

I ordered a Clopay garage door from Home Depot. The door came in and was delivered but was missing the vertical tracks. 3 weeks later after multiple phone calls and no tracks. I spoke with Clopay directly and their customer service is horrible. No apologies or offer to make it right. No offer to expedite the missing pieces. Worst company that I have ever dealt with and will never buy another Clopay door.

Wilson Mendoza New Milford, CT

I ordered a door at Home Depot and Clopay delivered the door directly to my house. When I opened the package the bottom panel on one door was smashed, damaged and I went back to Home Depot and Clopay never delivered the damage parts or do anything to fix it. Bad customer service.

Dave Bell Grayslake, IL

The weatherstripping between all the panels has deteriorated after just a little over five years (thus, not warrantied) and is hanging down all over the door, inside and out. Looks like I was ripped off for over $2,000.00 as replacement of the entire unit preempts the cost of repair it. This was the THIRD and LAST time I ever buy an install package from Home Depot as they don't stand behind their service (I got burned on a furnace install too).

Tony Rinta McGregor, MN

I ordered 16 12x12 doors from my distributor and was told it would be 2-3 weeks. The doors are all the same color and model, and told them I'll need another 22 of the same soon. After 4 weeks, and NO COMMUNICATION, I finally heard thru my distributor that they are still a week out. Now I have closings that have to be delayed. Poor customer service. Imagine how your 2 or 3 door order will get prioritized.

Kathy Loveland, CO

We bought The Coachman series to put on our new home. We wanted them painted so we contacted Clopay to make sure we were doing everything properly. The doors started cracking after a few months. Clopay did replace them under warranty and now the second set is cracking as well. Do not buy this product! We thought we had done our research, they were recommended by a local dealer and it has not held up to what they told us it would do. Garage doors should last more than a year.

Maria Carvalho Briarcliff Manor, NY

I placed an order for a clopay garage door beginning of November and was given the date for delivery Nov. 27/Dec. 3. Today, Dec. 3 I have not received a call from Clopay or Home Depot. Gave both a call nobody knows what happen to the door and the only thing I got Is excuses. This is for a rental unit and I am unable to rent for another month it because the existing door is falling apart.DO NOT BUY FROM UNRELIABLE COMPANIES !

Charlie

Clopay sold me a door 1.5 years ago. The lower two panels are rusting already. Their warranty is one year for a reason. They obviously know that they use very cheap steel and that their coatings just don't hold up. I should have picked up on that a one year warranty, it was telling me something. This is junk! So don't buy from Clopay unless you're planning to replace garage doors faster than shoes.

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

We have two clopay garage doors and are very happy with the quality as well as the aesthetic on our home.

Marinell Newton Shelburne, VT

Bought a door from the Coachmen series. After 7 years the moldings are warping and detaching from the door. The quality of the moldings are cheap plastic and do not fit the door well. The door was over $3000. Stay away from this company!!

Anthony C Harrisburg, PA

I am using the steel, classic collection garage door for over 2 years. It runs well and looks great with our house.

Lisa Herrin Burleson, TX

Door installed last year; worked great until it didn’t 3 MONTHS AGO. I got about 9 months of use out of this expensive installation. Now I can’t get the time of day. Some one always pleasantly tells me the local installer will be calling to set up an appointment. LIES all lies