Delta Dental Logo

5.7

If you're looking for dental insurance, you already know that dental health is important. A dental insurance plan can help you save on dental treatment and make visits to the dentist less expensive.

Delta Dental offers good dental insurance. Many of its plan members rate Delta Dental highly and are satisfied with the value offered through coverage, cost, and network of dentists, and customer service. If you're looking for good quality, see if Delta Dental has a plan that meets your needs.

Delta Dental was founded in 1954 by dentists and employers to increase access to dental services. Over the years, Delta Dental has grown from servicing three states to servicing all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and United States territories.

Delta Dental is an industry leader and was the first to offer dental insurance in multiple states. It has a large network of dentists and serves millions of people.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Mary from Jacksonville, Florida

"My experience with Delta has always been great. Both my spouse and I have delta and was able to stack the coverage on both of our kids braces. We ended up paying less than 1600 for braces for each after each Delta plan paid a part."

Read More Delta Dental Reviews

MetLife Logo
#2 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#3 Cigna chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Plan Variety
  • High Level of Customer Satisfaction
  • Vision Coverage Available

Positive Customer Reviews

Delta Dental has earned much praise from its plan members. Positive Delta Dental reviews describe satisfaction for the cost and value of the company's plans. They also mention quick claims processing and payments. The high number of positive reviews mean that you can purchase a Delta Dental plan confidently.

Plan Variety

Delta Dental offers dental insurance coverage for individuals, retirees, families, and employers. It has six kinds of dental plans available.

• Delta Dental PPO™ — This insurance plan allows individuals access to the discounted network rates when they receive dental treatment from an in-network provider. It also has low out-of-pocket costs.
  • Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ — This plan is just like the Delta Dental PPO™ (Preferred Provider Organization) with the added benefit of coverage for out-of-network dentists.
  • Delta Dental Premier® — This is Delta Dental’s indemnity plan. Individuals with this plan only pay co-pays and deductibles for services received.
  • DeltaCare® USA — This plan is Delta Dental’s HMO and focuses primarily on preventive services.
  • Delta Dental Patient Direct® — With this plan, patients choose a network dentist and pay the dentist their pre-negotiated, discounted fee for the dental service.
  • Delta Dental Individual and Family™ — Delta Dental offers the same group plans (generally only available to employers) to individuals and families.

With these choices, customers should be able to find the dental coverage and benefits they need at their price point.

Dental insurance plans work slightly differently from health insurance plans, though there are similarities. The Delta Dental PPO™, Delta Dental Premier®, and Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ plans all have an annual deductible and copays, like health insurance plans do. Unlike health insurance plans, these three Delta Dental plans also have an annual maximum benefit. The annual maximum benefit is the most that Delta Dental will pay for covered services during the year. Keep this number in mind as you consider the treatment you may need during the year.

The DeltaCare® USA and the Delta Dental Patient Direct do not have deductibles or an annual maximum benefit. The DeltaCare® USA does have copays.

Finding a participating dentist is easy. Delta Dental members can use Delta Dental's website to find in-network dentists in their area. From the search results, you can choose a dental provider. Visiting participating dentists allows you to take full advantage of your plan's dental savings.

As you evaluate your dental plan options, consider the dental services you'll likely need. Check to make sure that your needs are included in a plan's covered services. Cleanings and dental check-ups usually fall under preventive care. Basic treatment generally includes dental work like fillings. Major services include dental procedures like root canals, crowns, and bridges. Some plans may also have limitations and exclusions. For example, cosmetic dentistry is typically not covered by dental insurance.

Some plans also require a waiting period before covering certain services.

If you like your current dentist, you should check to see if they are a provider included in your plan's network. With PPO plans, you can usually visit any dentist you'd like. If you visit a network dentist, you can maximize the cost-sharing benefits of your plan.

You should also consider what copayment a plan requires, its deductible, monthly premium, and other out-of-pocket expenses. Monthly premiums should fit comfortably into your monthly budget; however, it's important to also consider your out-of-pocket expenses.

Analyzing the full cost of a plan and what dental procedures and preventive services you need will help you estimate how much money you'll spend on dental care and find a plan that fits your budget.

High Level of Customer Satisfaction

Reviews on bestcompany.com are mostly positive. Clients are typically satisfied with the coverage and service they receive from Delta Dental. Reviewers are also happy with its large network of dental providers.

While some reviewers experienced difficulty with getting procedures approved, claims, and cost, most reviewers are happy with Delta Dental. Keep in mind that Delta Dental offers a few different coverage plans, so customer experience with cost and coverage may be affected by what plan they chose.

Vision Coverage Available

While Delta Dental insurance plans are primarily for dentistry, the company also offers a vision insurance plan called DeltaVision®. With this plan, customers receive discounts for eye exams, glasses, contacts, and laser vision correction. It can be purchased with or separately from dental insurance.

Those looking for both dental and vision coverage can find insurance options through Delta Dental.

The Bad

Availability Varies by State

While Delta Dental's plans are available nationwide, the offerings and rates vary by state. People interested in purchasing insurance from Delta Dental must enter their state, zip code, and birthday on a state- or region-specific site to view the rates and insurance coverage options available to them.

The Bottom Line

Dental care is an important part of taking care of your overall health. Good oral health and dental hygiene have positive effects on your heart and overall health. Dental insurance can help defray the cost of dental treatment that helps you maintain your dental health.

Delta Dental is a great choice when choosing a dental insurance company. It offers six kinds of dental plans, which makes it easy to find affordable dental coverage. Delta Dental has even made its group plans available to independent customers, not just businesses. This means that individuals can get the same dental benefits as those offered through employers.

Delta Dental's plan offerings and terms vary by state, so be sure to understand the specifics of the plan, like if there is a waiting period for certain services and the coverage available for preventive services and its cost before signing up for dental coverage.

Delta Dental has one of the largest networks of dentists, which makes finding a dentist easier. Visiting a network dentist allows you to access discounted rates for covered dental work. Delta Dental is an insurance provider worth considering.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

4.0

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I am retired now and have opted not to carry dental insurance. However, when I was working, I really appreciated having Delta Dental insurance to cover regular visits to the dentist. Delta also covered a good portion of the cost of my tooth implant and a tooth cap.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

My company’s only option for Dental Insurance so it is hard to differentiate what may be unique to my plan vs other plans they have to offer. I’ve never had any issues with their billing though.

KKin Preston, ID

I used delta dental for my dental services and they were really great to work with. They are who my employer uses and they are very user friendly

Ashley Johnson Las Vegas, NV

Wide variety of locations that accept Delta Dental. Not very comprehensive coverage, and typically large out of pocket expenses.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

The rating on dental insurance is based on the plan you are paying for. It is really hard to compare services if someone is paying for a better plan. Payments have always been quick and accurate. Delta is the company that my wife's insurance is through. I have a different insurance provider and they work well together and coordinate benefits.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

The have the same coverage as most dental insurance companies but Delta can be a pain in the butt. It took 8 months for them to process a retainer request. They said if I did x,y,z I could get it approved and I did that and they still did not approve it. Such a waste of time.

Alexis Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

They have been a good insurance company. I was not ever a fan of having to assign myself to a specific dentist in a list of only certain options, but prices were good for what I got.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Delta has been our dental insurance through my job for many years. They have been great and we've been treated very well. We are very consistent with our care and I even had some orthodontia. Never any claim issues.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

Five kids, five sets of braces, over a hundred cleanings, and a bunch of cavities. We’ve been with Delta through them all. I recommend them for their prompt, accurate, and trouble-free service.

Ashley Blosil Kennewick, WA

Easy to use. We have had great coverage and it's been easy for us to work with thru our local dentists.

Mom of three Brigham City, UT

Delta Dental is our go to company for dental insurance. We’ve had Delta Dental for 2 years. They have great customer service, friendly knowledgeable staff, wait time of 5 minutes or less on the phone, most importantly they pay your dentist on time.

Leisha Logan, UT

Delta Dental was great to work with and we had great coverage for many years. Now I’m self employed, so I pay out of pocket for dental cleanings.

Mark Park City, UT

I have had Dental Insurance through Delta Dental in the past, because that's about what we could afford. The experience was ok, although it was very confusing at times when it came to coverage.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Delta Dental's coverage is reliable and cost effective. I have never had a problem getting my dental care costs covered.

HardRock65 Stockton, CA

Have had Delta for ten years and I have yet to have an issue with them either in paying out claims or denied service .

Kelly Fisk Puyallup, WA

Compared to other dental insurance companies, Delta Dental has been reliable coverage for our family for more than 10 years. They have decent discounts with our plan for emergency or routine procedures needing completed and are professional when contacted.

Richard So Woodland, CA

great coverage from my employer. just wished there was options for more expensive dental work like root canals, caps and implants

Jay C Margate City, NJ

No issues, customer service is very helpful when you need them. Never had a problem getting a claim paid.

Dale Mayfield New Braunfels, TX

Delta Dental as the State of Texas administrator for our dental coverage has been in effect for less than a year, but they are very good for annual dental maintenance costs. We have rarely needed any additional dental work, but when we have, the company has been very prompt in their coverage.

Jack and Thelma Unangst Cave Creek, AZ

always does a fine job at paying excess billing above our co-pay. We have been with them for years and have never had a problem with service. Dependable and fair.

Brian Jensen Donna, TX

I have moved from Iowa to Texas. Delta Dental Iowa told me I needed to by a policy in Texas, so I did. When I went to the dentist they told me I had a 6 month waiting period. Nobody told me that at either insurance company when I cancelled and signed up for the new insurance. In fact the people I talked to said the opposite. Delta Dental advertises "No waiting period" So I feel I have been lied to and had I known I had a waiting period I would have found other insurance. They get one star only because I can't give them less.

Jenny Martinez Miami, FL

I currently have Delta Dental. The orthodontist benefits is very good. It covers a large amount of funds.

Carolyn Tolbert Lynchburg, VA

Paid almost nothing for my dental work. Was very disappointed in them. Won’t use them again

Richard Baker Las Cruces, NM

ok with 6 month checks,etc very expensive when more extensive work needed...wish I had better choice

Nicole Balvanz Iowa Falls, IA

The company is okay. I don't have any other option to go with besides Delta Dental. They don't cover a lot of necessary stuff, which ends up being very expensive for me and my family in the long run. Not very happy with Delta Dental.

Della R.Quinn Coleman Plainfield, IL

I like the quickness of how they handle there claims. You don't want to wait when you're in pain too long.

Amanda Malega Oklahoma City, OK

I have Delta Dental and I pay a pretty nice chunk of money for their services but they still require me to pay most of my stuff out of my own pocket.

Kim , NC

Their premiums are inexpensive. However there is a 6 month waiting period if you need anything done other than a routine exam or cleaning. They also pay less than 50% of any other procedure.

D Woodstock, IL

Calling this office with claim or coverage questions is an exercise in extreme patience and discernment. They are often wrong and the time waiting is intolerable.

Michael Lindert Crawfordville, FL

Lack of large in area providers makes it often difficult to get dental work done without paying large amounts of money out of pocket.

Coach Carnes San Diego, CA

They have save me hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately, they have limited devices and amounts that they will pay.

chmills1cm San Antonio, TX

The new Delta dental I have from Virginia is well worth it and even covers now I think my employer made a good choice with this one

Edward Obediah Katy, TX

Used several times, Dentist took insurance filed claims Never had to follow up with them Seamless transactions

FRED l PELTZ

Lousy coverage. About the only benefit you get is limited free cleanings

Patrick Fay

Not always quick to pay, nor are they the easiest to get ahold of when you have billing questions

Tammy

There and isn't much that is covered aside from your basic annual check ups and light work..

jcleaton San Diego, CA

Have had Delta Dental for many years as Dental insurance. Have only good things to say about their coverage and organization. Is there another dental insurance company out there?

Caleb Warren Norcross, GA

Never had any issues with delta dental not being accepted or anything, and dental insurance is cheap anyway so price is great

Shirley Simolari

They cover everything they disclose quickly and efficiently, they are easy to reach with questions no waiting and they pay their claims on tome

TJ

Never had a problem with them. Always covered routine dental care

Cate Jackson

In general, I'm not satisfied with dental insurance. Delta is one of the better ones and is widely accepted, but out of pocket fees are still a lot if you need anything extensive.

Annie Brunson

Good insurance - cleanings twice a year. They don't cover absolutely everything for treatments like fillings etc. But pretty good.

Jessie

Very professional, good customer service

jerry duane hughes

went in for an emergency tooth extraction and got reamed on the bill

Irving Fleischman Staten Island, NY

Their PPO is excellent and HMO’s don’t give many dental benefits, they are really good.

Nate C Dickinson, ND

Delta Dental of Minnesota, pretty decent company and coverage thru my now previous employer. The yearly coverage though isn't that great. $2500 max coverage for dental work. Out of a $10,000 procedure I had done this year they only covered $2,500 and I had to eat the rest. I feel there's much better and fulfilling coverage out there somewhere else.

Sabrina Richardson San Leandro, CA

Easy to navigate the website. Great service. Great coverage for all my families dental needs

TexasPeg Coppell, TX

They pay on time; they cover the percentage or most of it that they says they will.

Deanna Moore Dumfries, VA

Very happy with my dental insurance from Delta Dental. The coverage is easy to understand, and their customer service team is efficient.

Juan

Excellent, they have always provided full coverage.