BlueCross BlueShield Logo

BlueCross BlueShield

Is This Your Business?

3.0

BlueCross BlueShield was founded in 1929. Primarily known for its health insurance offerings, it also carries dental insurance plans in some areas.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

MetLife Logo
#2 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#3 Cigna chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Wide Availability
  • Positive Reviews

Wide Availability

BlueCross BlueShield offers insurance plans throughout the United States. This wide availability makes it easier to continue working with the insurer if you move to a new state or region.

BlueCross BlueShield's website makes it easy to find the subsidiary that operates in your area. Once you're redirected to the right subsidiary, you can learn more about what BlueCross BlueShield offers in your area.

Positive Reviews

A large proportion of BlueCross BlueShield reviews on Best Company are positive. Reviewers were satisfied with the coverage, network, and timely payment of claims.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Audrey Mitchell from Managua, Minnesota

"Bluecross is accepted in all the dental offices I have gone to and had not problems. Their coverage is great and staff is helpful with questions."

The Bad

Plan Options Vary by Location

BlueCross BlueShield's wide reach means that the plans available vary from subsidiary to subsidiary. If you are interested in working with BlueCross BlueShield, check which subsidiary operates in your area. Work with your local subsidiary to learn more about the dental insurance plan it offers.

If BlueCross BlueShield dental plans are not available in your area, you'll need to consider another insurer.

The Bottom Line

BlueCross BlueShield is a well-known insurance company. While it's difficult to get into specifics around dental plan options because these choices vary by location, BlueCross BlueShield has earned a high proportion of positive reviews.

If BlueCross BlueShield offers dental insurance in your area, it's worth exploring further.

4.0

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

My whole family uses BlueCross BlueShield, and we have always had an okay time, except for with mental health insurance. They cover none of the psychologists in my area and haven't been helpful at all.

Cdavid , MO

BlueCross BlueShield has been the premier insurance for us. They covered more things than any other insurance we have had. Is is assuring to know that they are widely recognized and that your needs are covered.

Allee Wassmer Lehi, UT

Great great great insurance no complaints or issues. Great customer service always happy with them

AF ,

BCBS has been pretty good to work with for our dentist. It can still be expensive when you have issues to take care of, but it covered a good portion of my night guard which was nice.

Danielle LeCheminant Lehi, UT

Their customer service has been decent. One person we called didn't help us much but the next time we called the next worker went above and beyond our basic expectations to help us.

Yvonne Fink Frederick, MD

I have had Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance and was always happy with everything and the service that I got. I now have Blue Cross Blue Shield dental and they’re fantastic. I get two free cleanings A year and x-rays. Didn’t have to change my dentist who I love. And I get 50% or more off of anything that I need done which include a flipper that I have to have made. Would recommend that anybody check them out for health insurance and for dental.

Patti Miller ,

I used this insurance through work and I never had a problem with claims being paid promptly.

Kenneth Hawkins Carnegie, PA

They have been providing one of the largest networks in my city. I really appreciate the customer service and providers in their network

George Lozier Puyallup, WA

I've had great service through BCBS. My dentist bills are high but that's the way it goes.

April C. Claxton, GA

So far, so good! This company varies by state and your employer. So read your policy top to bottom!

Marianouro1 Katy, TX

Good attention. Very easy to work with. Nice and logical internet base platform. Good work

Kevin Lewis

Very good Benefits, quick turn around time, easy to deal with

Nicole Richman Pearland, TX

BCBS is a reputable insurance company, but as with any insurance, it can be hard to get a hold of them.

Charlie Norcross, GA

I recommend this company for your insurance needs. They are on top of all the latest concerns and work hard to provide the best service.

Monserrath Gutierrez Austin, TX

I have this insurance through my job and its really nice, super easy and not to expensive. I like knowing they pay stuff for what i need to get done.

Jessica Olson Nevada, IA

This insurance is okay. Sometimes I have problems with certain places and having them covered.

Deborah Kelly Farmington, MO

It's great insurance for dental. They pay well and there is very few problems. I work in a dental office and I have the insurance. From both sides its a great company! We rarely have an issue.

Ron Murrey Clovis, CA

Excellent coverage of health expenses for our plan. But raises monthly premiums every year by 9 - 10% a year. They have been getting too expensive since the cost goes up significantly every year. As a retiree on fixed income may not be able to continue with them in a couple of years if the monthly premium expenses continue to rise! On the positive side they covered all my medical costs associated with several major surgeries in 2019! Overall, their services have been excellent!

Alexander Johnson Los Angeles, CA

I have had BCBS for most of my life and I always had doctors I love so not much bad I can say. Premiums definitely needed some work

Amy McSherry Troy, MI

BCBS is a great company. I get this coverage through my work, so I am very thankful they are such a good company to work with.

Morgan Sweat Montgomery, AL

I like the insurance, it nearly leaves me paying nothing out of pocket at the doctors and dental office visits. The insurance is rather pricey for a single individual but the cover is really great.

Mike Xavier Rocklin, CA

Good Experiences with Blue Shield! Good turn around time with paperwork & no hassles!!!

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

WAs under BlueCross BlueShield for a couple of years. Great company and a wide amount of providers. Only switched when I changed jobs.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Blue cross has been a great insurance company as I have gotten work done on my teeth. They have awesome coverage on a number of procedures.

take7 Sandy, UT

This one wasn't very good for our family on the west side of the country. If the offices we were using accepted it they changed to not accepting it while we were under them. Responses from customer service took a while and we sort of just went basic and tried not to have to need it.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Jon Scoresby Saratoga Springs, UT

This insurance was pretty good. The service people were good when I needed them. I don't remember the coverage being fantastic. It was just ok.

George Nicoloff

Their monthly premium seems fair, they have rewards for preventative activities, Dental coverage and assisting programs.

Dallas1

Great. Much better than Guardian. They pay on time and cover reasonable stuff

Sandra

Great! Premiums are reasonable and customer service is excellent.

Chris Giusti Manassas, VA

This company is the absolute worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. I shopped vigorously for a dental plan in the fall knowing I’d need some dental work done. Got in touch with blue cross blue shield and specifically asked “do you cover crowns?” I was told yes and specifically referred to a 47 page manual that explained their policy in depth. Nowhere in this manual did it even hint that crowns weren’t covered. In fact, it detailed how they were covered at 50%. The manual had an entire section of what wasn’t covered. Nowhere in that section did it even mention the word crown. Based on this I purchased the plan. I had multiple crowns done and to my dismay the company now refuses to pay the claims. They are trying to tell Me the tooth wasn’t more than 50% decayed. Nowhere in their policy does it talk about ratios that teeth need to be damaged to obtain a crown. Acting on the opinion of multiple dentists I obtained crowns to fix my teeth. Had I known that for this company to cover a crown the tooth had to be more than 50% decayed I obviously wouldn’t have gotten their policy. Again, they can’t point out where in their policy this is listed. They simply don’t want to pay the claim. Bottom line is they will take your premiums with open hands and then find a way not to pay totally legitimate claims. I had to give one star because zero wasn’t an option.

Robert T Hoff Rehoboth Beach, DE

I'm retired Civil Service using Benefeds/OPM contract with BC/BS Fed VIP Dental. The Dental coverage is a scam. I live in Rehoboth Beach, DE, where there are no in-network dentists within a 35 mile drive . However there are several available in NJ on the other side of the Delaware Bay. BCBS actually sent me a note saying they expected me to drive across the water. The reason for needing a dentist is because I need a molar implant. Implants are on their schedule, but BCBS has told me they will NEVER do implants because there are always cheaper alternatives. They demad I pull out all the rest of my teeth because "dentures are cheaper than an implant." I called OPM where I was told they didn't look at the terms of the contracts. They sent me to BENEFEDS where they told me the companies are the only ones who can look at their own contracts in a stab at self-regulation. I am going to all review sites to uncover this scam.

P

Absolutely terrible and scammy packages I recently got PBC. (November 2018) Was told had to wait 3 months. To use dental BENEFIT okey. Fast forward to January Get cleaning (my usual WITHOUT coverage is $89) Get cleaning. Go pay. $180+ how do you figure. They covered 80%. 80% and i have to pay $100 more then typical visit without health coverage I almost canceled PBC THAT DAY. but. I decided to give it a chance. Fast forward 3 more months (6 months in to the plan at $300 given for the payments). Costco. Sorry we don't file claims for you. You'll need to fill the prescription then file it yourself. so is it covered though or not ‍ we don't know and you won't know until you file it. So you're saying it could be not covered yes. That's possible. Okay. Paid the $48 Go home to file. They said it's easy. Fill out the boxes on the app and send us pic of receipt stub from pharmacy Did it. Came back. Rejected Called them. Oh. Most drugs aren't covered Well the why on earth am I paying you like $800+ a year ‍. Nothing is covered and even after that huge amount I'm still paying per visit or per prescription. It's a rip off. My annual costs are as follows without health and dental coverage: $100 ($50 x2 a year allergy meds) $100 eye exam $200 contacts $89 dental $89 dental Total: $600 My needs. About $600 my payment is almost $800 with PBC, but with PBC after paying $800 I'll still need To pay $180 dental my "share " $180 dental $100 eye exam $100 contacts ( not fully covered) $100 meds (nothing covered) Total additional costs: $660. So grand total of $1460 with blue cross. Or $600 stand alone without health dental‍ DON'T GET INSURANCE THE ONLY BENEFIT IS TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY (how else would they make money should of known) don't fall for it. It's stupid.

MARY K GODLEY

For the most part very good. Friendly and helpful when calling customer service. EOBs a little difficult to read, but with descriptions provided could figure out. Timely receipt of EOBs. Vision and Dental providers difficult to find where we live (Winston Salem)

L Gilbert, AZ

We have independent dental coverage and it’s by far the best value and coverage out there for our area.