1. Family Credit Management

Founded as a non-profit credit counseling agency in 1996, Family Credit Management has 20 years of industry experience and offers free credit counseling over the phone for those who need a better plan to get out of credit card debt. The company then consolidates all credit card payments into one monthly payment at a lower interest rate. The client is given a monthly breakdown of how much is being paid for each item.

Family Credit Management is available in 49 states, Washington, D.C., and the Virgin Islands. It has certified counselors to offer consultations to clients. Family Credit Management is a very straightforward and transparent company. They also offer education to their customers for long-term success.

#1 Freedom Debt Relief chevron_right
#2 Consolidated Credit chevron_right
#3 National Debt Relief chevron_right

The Good

• Education
  • Availability
  • Cost
  • Live Chat Feature
  • Certified Counselors
  • Non-Profit Services

Education

Family Credit Management offers courses on many debt management principles. Some of the items covered are establishing goals, creating a spending plan, ways to save money, managing bank accounts and investing.

All of these items are also in a book that is offered for free to download on the website. Family Credit Management also offers another booklet which gives tips on how to save money. There is also a personal spending plan booklet that helps people create and follow goals.

The website also has financial calculators to help figure out credit card debt, student spending, retirement, and mortgage savings.

Company resources also provide customers with the know-how to increase, repair, or maintain their credit score. How debt management programs affect a customers credit report varies, but a debt management plan, like that of Family Credit Management, does not negatively affect customers' credit score as much as other programs like debt settlement or bankruptcy.

Nevertheless, customers should keep an eye on their credit report to ensure that their credit score does not begin to drop. Increasing your credit score will largely depend on how well you stay on top of your credit card debt, student loan debt, or any other type of unsecured debt.

Availability

Family Credit Management is available in 49 states, Washington, D.C., and the Virgin Islands. This allows customers from all over the country to have access to their services. However, this is no guarantee that Family Credit Management will be able to provide you with face-to-face credit counseling.

Cost

Family Credit Management charges a one-time enrollment fee and monthly fees. These fees vary client to client. The average enrollment fee is $40. The average monthly fee is $30. In some cases, fees may be waived.

Live Chat Feature

This company offers a live chat feature. This allows customers to easily and quickly receive answers to their questions. If you have questions for Family Credit Management's experts, you have a choice between calling, emailing, or asking via the company's online chat feature.

Certified Counselors

This company employs certified counselors to assist customers with debt consolidation and in dealing with creditors. Your credit counselor will help you set up a personalized debt management program. According to Family Credit Management, with this debt management program, you will be able to:

• Stop calls from creditors
  • Reduce or eliminate finance charges
  • Calculate when you will be debt free
  • Recieve detailed monthly statements
  • Set up an automatic payment process through your bank
  • Secure phone or web access to your account

Family Credit Management's certified credit counselors will help you navigate the entire debt relief process.

Non-Profit Services

Though a nonprofit services company is by no means guaranteed to be more ethical, it does provide a good starting point. A non-profit credit counseling agency is technically considered a "public charity" under the IRS standards and is formed to give some sort of "public benefit."

The company provides its services for customers with unsecured debt, such as credit card or student loan debt. It also works with virtually all unsecured creditors. This way, you won't have to deal with annoying phone calls from your creditors.

The Bad

Accreditations

There are several accreditation organizations that debt consolidation, debt settlement, and credit counseling companies can be accredited by to ensure quality standards and other business practices to help customers choose a company that's been tried and tested. While Family Credit Management does not have every accreditation, it is ISO 9001 certified and highers certified counselors.

The Bottom Line

Through its debt counseling services, Family Credit Management customers can get help in dealing with creditors, set up a debt management plan, and receive quality debt consolidation services. Family Credit Management has more industry experience than many debt counseling companies.

It has learned a lot about what its customers need in its 20 years in business: free consultations, certified counselors, live chat, low fees, and more. Family Credit Management is worth considering if you're interested in a debt management program. Be sure to evaluate customer reviews before making a final decision.

View Best Debt Relief Companies

William Brown

January 8th, 2020 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My counselor was great. She made me comfortable right away and gave me a plan of action which will get me out of debt in just under five years. Thank you for your help Megan.

Jan 13, 2020

Thank you so much for the kind review, William. I will be sharing this review with Megan, along with the rest of our counselors, to make sure they know the difference they are making.

Waldinda Belt

December 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank you Family Credit for working with me and on my behalf to financial freedom. Since taking over my debts, my credit score went up 230 points. Instead of beging companies to give me a chance, I now have options and am able to say no. Thank you so much. Dina

Dec 06, 2019

Thank you so much for the review, Dina! It means a lot to everyone here that you put your trust in us to help you gain financial freedom. We appreciate you taking the time to let others know how we were able to help.

Emily Edwards

November 6th, 2019 Fargo, ND DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am happy with the help and direction this company has given me. My credit card balances were beginning to cause problems in my marriage. Not super bad but enough to know it was time to ask for help. I am on track to have no debt in a few years and we have a little extra money for fun, food and even some from savings which I do every paycheck. I want others to know this is a good company who really wants to help you by giving you lower interest to pay each month.

Nov 11, 2019

Thank you for the review, Emily! We are so glad that we are able to help. We appreciate that you want to share your experience with others so that they may have confidence in calling us for help as well.

Mike Johnson

October 17th, 2019 Clearwater, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had high interest debt and credit cards companies were starting to call me. They helped the calls stop and got me lower interest rates. Thank you.

Oct 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Mike! We appreciate the trust you put in us to help get your situation under control.

Kate T.

September 17th, 2019 Crystal Lake, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was a client of Family Credit for many years. I was concerned, of course. But they did what they promised. I had about $12,000 in credit card debt and they reduced my monthly payments due to each card AND my interest rate was all below 10% on each account. This is the magic that helps you get out of debt. I was happy to pay the low monthly fee compared to the amount I was saving in interest each month - it was crazy how much I was paying. Help yourself and trust your future to Family Credit - I did!

Sep 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review Kate! It can be difficult to put your trust in a company to help with your finances, but we are glad you trusted us. I will be sharing this with our staff so they all know the difference they made.

Michelle S

August 1st, 2019 Muncie, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I hate to talk on the phone so doing all the business per email was great! They helped when I had a hiccup in my debts one month and have always had a quick response to any questions. I am so glad they were there to help me and I would definitely recommend them!!!

Aug 02, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, Michelle! We appreciate the kind words and recommending us means the world. I will be sharing this with our staff to let them know the impact that they have had.

Zoe

October 16th, 2017 Asheville, NC

My partner's friend recommended this service. I enrolled and was not informed of MANY consequences that may (and do) occur when you use this service. 1) The Enrollment forms you sign is a CONTRACT, not just enrollment. So you are under contract before you even know the specifics of the arrangement. 2) Credit cards or FCM will CLOSE ALL OF YOUR CREDIT CARDS which will DAMAGE your credit score, not help it. 3) Customer service was hellacious. They made error after error. 4) They do not disclose these things before you sign the contract. Do not use this company. Do not use any debt consolidation company. Unless you are in major, unmanageable debt, cant pay your cards in any way, dont care about your credit score or the fact that your cards will close, then MAYBE consider it. I would not trust them with anything considering my experience. Go to a financial counselor that has nothing to gain through your "enrollment."

Koren Z

August 12th, 2017 Magnolia, NJ

You are better off working with credit card companies on your own. Family Credit takes over a week to pay your creditors after you pay them and as far as not damaging your credit score - OMG - my credit score has dropped dramatically on this program. Not even worth it as a last resort!!!

Guillermo Burgos

February 23rd, 2015 North Hills, CA

Very helpful. Megan Marsch was very helpful and helped me through the whole process.

Lisa Langley

December 19th, 2014 Tulsa, OK

I live in Oklahoma and I had truly gotten myself in debt trouble I had to find help . This has not been easy on me as some of my debt had huge interest rates attached I have learned to live on nearly half of what I make a month no easy feat but I am almost a year into it and I can see the debt lowering from the creditors statements. The monthly charge from them is acceptable they are saving my credit which has gone up almost 6 points the last three months. They are very courteous and helpful and are there after hours. I highly recommend this company.