DebtWave Credit Counseling verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

7.1

Call Now

DebtWave Credit Counseling, Inc. began as a nonprofit organization in 2001. DebtWave seeks to help consumers get debt free in 3-5 years through financial education, credit counseling, and debt consolidation services. Along with its focus on financial education for consumers, DebtWave is active in the San Diego community with its program called San Diego Financial Literacy Center, which focuses on helping youth, military, and low to moderate income families.

On the downside, DebtWave is not accredited with the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). These accreditations require best practices in the industry and are a good indicator to consumers that the company maintains those standards.

The Good

• Transparency
  • Great Value, Low Average Interest Rate
  • Great Reviews
  • Live Chat
  • Accredited Counselors

Transparency

DebtWave Credit Counseling (DWCC) is one of the most transparent consolidation companies in the industry. As evidence of this, the company highlights a large variety features on its website. The company even provides information on its executives and board members, while many other companies do not.

Great Value, Low Average Interest Rate

DebtWave is a non-profit organization, and its main purpose is to educate people on budget management and help them consolidate their credit card debts. The company offers its services for a low fee of up to $49, which is relatively cheap for the level of service it provides. Additionally, DebtWave offers interest rates ranging from 0.00% to 18.00%, with an average rate of about 7.00%. Most companies in the debt consolidation industry do not disclose this information, which makes DebtWave seem more credible.

Great Reviews

DebtWave reviewers display high levels of satisfaction with company's customer service. Credit counselors are knowledgeable, friendly, and help customers really understand the entire consolidation process. People are also happy about the low interest rates DebtWave can secure.

Live Chat

DebtWave offers a live chat feature. In addition, they provide email and phone contact information.

Accredited Counselors

DebtWave's counselors are certified through the Center for Financial Certification.

The Bad

• Lack of Accreditations
  • Experience and Size
  • Difficulty Obtaining Information
  • Higher Upfront Fee
  • Availability

Lack of Accreditations

While DebtWave is ISO certified, the company does not hold accreditations with the AFCC or the NFCC. These two organizations help to ensure that consolidation companies adhere to best industry practices. The lack of these accreditations is somewhat surprising due to how long the company has been in business.

Experience and Size

DebtWave is a smaller company (fewer than 50 employees) that has only been around since 2001. This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but several other consolidation companies have nearly double the experience and staff.

Difficulty Obtaining Information

Consumers interested in specific information about consolidation will need to call DebtWave. They do not answer industry or person specific questions through live chat or email. This point was verified through user reviews.

Higher Upfront Fee

Another drawback to DebtWave's services is its higher upfront fee. The company charges up to $75 depending on the program and what state you reside in. Many other companies have a lower upfront fee, only charging around $49 for the initial setup.

Availability

DebtWave is available almost everywhere. DebtWave is available in 46 states and states that they could someday offer services in all 50. Some of DebtWave's competitors are available in all 50 states, which allow more customers to use their services. Currently, DebtWave does not offer services in the following states and territories:

• Colorado
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • New York
  • Puerto Rico

The Bottom Line

While DebtWave Credit Counseling, Inc. is relatively small, they have many of the features of a great consolidation company. The company may have a slightly higher upfront fee and does not possess some of the major industry accreditations we look for. However, the transparency of their website is very appreciated, as this is not common in the industry. The low average interest rate is also very appealing. The company provides great value to consumers, and consumers have made their opinions known. Therefore, we feel comfortable recommending DebtWave's debt consolidation services.

Call our recommended rep over at DebtWave Credit Counseling below.

4.8

Laura R.

November 21st, 2017 Ludlow, MA DETAILS

Very nice and understanding people. Easy to complete.

Courtney

November 20th, 2017 Atlanta, GA

I researched online and compared different credit companies and this one was recommended as a good company.

Robin

October 30th, 2017 Hummelstown, PA

The information was wonderful and Ira Nelson was very professional and helpful I hope it continues.

brian crosby

August 18th, 2016 Danvers, MA

This agent could not have been more helpful. Listen to all the details and advised the best program for me.

Wendy Seibert

August 13th, 2016

Jo Jo the customer service rep was amazing She was so help I will recommend this company to everyone. Sincerely Wendy Seibert

Bo Jones

August 11th, 2016 Fort Wayne, IN

Great customer service. Our rep was able to work with our schedule, was very friendly, and did an excellent job getting our stuff together. Looking forward to getting this burden off our shoulders!

D Ortiz

August 10th, 2016 New Haven, CT

I had scheduling problem to set up a call time, but Jo-Jo worked with me to make it work. Even though I had to reschedule several times due to missing cards or info, she was patient and made it possible to apply for the repayment plan.

Kaye Lupo

August 9th, 2016 Waycross, GA

Rebecca was great, most helpful, was so patient and understanding, explaining all the workings of the plan!! I can not wait to get started and become debt free!!! Rebecca is my guardian angel

Lisa Stokes

August 3rd, 2016 Sioux City, IA

Very friendly n extremely friendly

BEVERLY McGuire

July 29th, 2016

Her name was Rebeca and she was one of the nicest people I've have ever delt with. She was patient and very helpful. My computer skills are not the best, but she made me feel good about how I was doing. Thank you, it was a good expeirence. I am happy I decided to apply. And am sure it will be great for me to do this .thank you, and thank you Rebeca

Jose Perea

July 28th, 2016 Houston, TX

Great service, she answered all my questions and made the prices smooth

Rachel

July 26th, 2016 Lake Forest, CA

I had a lot of concerns and questions, and they were very kind and answered all of them thoroughly.

Melissa Reynolds

July 22nd, 2016 Warrenville, SC

Worst experience of my life

Brian

July 21st, 2016 Piscataway, NJ

Worked with Rebeca who was very patient and understanding, even when I wasn't. I appreciated her calm demeanor and thorough help to get this process going.

Jacqui Anderson

July 15th, 2016 Brunswick, GA

I needed assistance with debt consolidation. JoJo was very helpful and knowlegable

Tenice Holman

July 14th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

More than awesome customer service. For me to have someone that is understanding, nonjudgmental, and just wants to execute a plan is exactly what I needed. This opportunity is truly a huge blessing, and has come at the exact perfect time.

fred puschman

July 13th, 2016 Leander, TX

very pleased with all of the information that that you were able to provide.

Anabelle Buynay

July 7th, 2016 Mililani, HI

Jojo was very helpful and understanding. Very informative and explained every step of the process clearly. I'm very thankful to have had a wonderful experience.

Michael Lingerfelt

July 5th, 2016 Jefferson, GA

Jo-jo Sanchez was very friendly and made me feel like a person rather than just another client. Great customer service is what I will say when I am asked about Debtwave just from what I have experienced so far. Thank you all for your help in getting my financial goals in order!

Dan Caracio

June 29th, 2016 Whitehall, PA

Completely wonderful experience. A highly professional interview with guidance to a practical solution.

Nicole Ichiki

June 24th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

JoJo Sanchez is the exact kind of person you'd want to guide you in your journey to financial stability. She is patient and explains everything in explicit detail. This program is NOT a scam and is saving me money. I will be debt free in 4 years and cannot wait. Thank you JoJo for your professionalism, guidance, and great communication. If you are researching this is the company to go with. I researched debt settlement as well and that seems to be way more illogical for me. Another plus with DebtWave is if you want to pay early you can. Some companies do not want that so they can keep collecting their monthly service fees. DebtWave is there to help you get out of debt faster! Anyone looking to get out of debt should consider this program. This was the solution. Thank you JoJo & DebtWave!

Al Goudreau

June 21st, 2016 Springfield, NH

We went with debtwave in 2011 as they came recommended by another highly reputable company. We had a 4 and a half year pay down plan. All was well until the end. We contacted the company verbally and through live chat on several different occasions. We tried to arrange to pay off our account a month early because the remaining balance on our account was so small, that we tried to avoid paying the monthly service fee for the last month. After at least 10 times contacting this company, they still refused to get the account paid off despite telling us that it would be taken care of. Then they tried to charge us the service fee for the last month. They eventually agreed to waive the fee, but only after having to argue with them. Apparently they are set up to discourage early pay offs in order to get their monthly service fee. As a lesson to debtwave, I hope that you realize that the difference between a positive review and a negative review is a very fine line. Because of this incident, I would hesitate to recommend this company to anyone else

Robert Fitzgerald

June 9th, 2016 Boise, ID

Jo Jo was very helpful and knowledgeable. She was professional; I was very impressed.

Delphine Scott

May 16th, 2016 Sacramento, CA

I had the opportunity to have American Debt Enders advise me on options that would help me with my mounting debt. As I advance in age I wish to make better choices and increase my personal security. I found the agent to be an active listener, professional and patient. The service he outlined for me served me well. I found myself relieved to be eventually rid of debt in a few years.

Frank

February 18th, 2016 Vancouver, WA

I hade a very good experience with a coustomer service representative.She was very polite. I got very clear explanation how's the program works. I hope the future will be same smooth and averything will works out well. Thank You DebtWave

Linda Green

January 7th, 2016 Sanford, FL

JoJo was very professional in explaining how the program worked very courteous and have a good since of humor.

Jack

December 28th, 2015 Ormond Beach, FL

Received very helpful and straightforward advice with a two alternative very workable solution. For certain will enroll in the program once I select one of the two alternatives. Amazing speed and turnaround in producing detailed analyses within the same initial phone call!!

Rusty Rasmus

December 16th, 2015 Storm Lake, IA

JoJo was very thorough on explaining options, consequences, and perks of different avenues we could use to resolve our debt. I would recommend them to anyone.

Kiani

December 15th, 2015 Orlando, FL

Went above and beyond and made the process very smooth

Dorothy Grace

November 5th, 2015 Whitefish, MT

The service and understanding were excellent...admitting you are in trouble and need help is not fun, but you made it very easy. Thank you.

Terry

November 2nd, 2015 Xenia, OH

Was very skeptical at first but they got all but one account to give interest rate reduction. All but the highest balances have now been paid in full and my credit score has risen many points

Shay

October 21st, 2015 Atlanta, GA

I am so glad to have found this company. Jo-Jo is awesome. She explained everything to me in great detailed and I am confident that I made that right decision to use this company to get out of debt! I recommend Debtwave Credit Counseling to anyone who wants to get out of debt fast. You won't regret it!

Sandra

October 20th, 2015 Luling, TX

We had used a debt company before years ago and they were terrible. I found Debt Wave and they were totally different. All of the people we have dealt with were great and they really cared. I cannot say enough good about them, if you are in dire need of help Please contact them.

Jim

October 19th, 2015 West Palm Beach, FL

I was very skeptical using a debt service as there are so many that are not legitimate. Since DebtWave is non-profit, I thought I would give them a chance. DebtWave is absolutely and without question an honest and reliable service. I have never had a problem. There customer service is excellent. Their fee is exactly as stated and very reasonable for the service they provide. They have saved me thousands of dollars in interest which allowed me to pay off my credit card debt considerably faster than other wise.

Joan

October 16th, 2015 Valley, AL

Everyone was great friendly & very informative. They treat u with respect, they understand everyone goes though a hard time. It was nice relief

Joshua7en

October 13th, 2015 Oak Harbor, WA

Very helpful

Curtis Godard

October 8th, 2015 Sicklerville, NJ

My experience with DebtWave has been outstanding.

joan van kuren

October 6th, 2015 Auburn, CA

Jojo was very understanding and explained everything in detail ,I was very happy with the outcome and highly recommend your company to my friends and family

Ryan Conn

September 30th, 2015 Twentynine Palms, CA

We had no idea what to do with all of our medical bills and looming credit card debt...Just NO end in sight! We made one phone call, and that was all it took! We picked a program and were able to get one lower monthly payment! We feel like we can breath again!!! Thank you!

Jabari Thomas