DebtWave Credit Counseling verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

7.3

Call Now

DebtWave Credit Counseling, Inc. began as a nonprofit organization in 2001. DebtWave seeks to help consumers get debt free in 3-5 years through financial education, credit counseling, and debt consolidation services. Along with its focus on financial education for consumers, DebtWave is active in the San Diego community with its program called San Diego Financial Literacy Center, which focuses on helping youth, military, and low to moderate income families.

On the downside, DebtWave is not accredited with the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). These accreditations require best practices in the industry and are a good indicator to consumers that the company maintains those standards.

The Good

• Transparency
  • Great Value, Low Average Interest Rate
  • Great Reviews
  • Live Chat
  • Accredited Counselors

Transparency

DebtWave Credit Counseling (DWCC) is one of the most transparent consolidation companies in the industry. As evidence of this, the company highlights a large variety features on its website. The company even provides information on its executives and board members, while many other companies do not.

Great Value, Low Average Interest Rate

DebtWave is a non-profit organization, and its main purpose is to educate people on budget management and help them consolidate their credit card debts. The company offers its services for a low fee of up to $49, which is relatively cheap for the level of service it provides. Additionally, DebtWave offers interest rates ranging from 0.00% to 18.00%, with an average rate of about 7.00%. Most companies in the debt consolidation industry do not disclose this information, which makes DebtWave seem more credible.

Great Reviews

DebtWave reviewers display high levels of satisfaction with company's customer service. Credit counselors are knowledgeable, friendly, and help customers really understand the entire consolidation process. People are also happy about the low interest rates DebtWave can secure.

Live Chat

DebtWave offers a live chat feature. In addition, they provide email and phone contact information.

Accredited Counselors

DebtWave's counselors are certified through the Center for Financial Certification.

The Bad

• Lack of Accreditations
  • Experience and Size
  • Difficulty Obtaining Information
  • Higher Upfront Fee
  • Availability

Lack of Accreditations

While DebtWave is ISO certified, the company does not hold accreditations with the AFCC or the NFCC. These two organizations help to ensure that consolidation companies adhere to best industry practices. The lack of these accreditations is somewhat surprising due to how long the company has been in business.

Experience and Size

DebtWave is a smaller company (fewer than 50 employees) that has only been around since 2001. This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but several other consolidation companies have nearly double the experience and staff.

Difficulty Obtaining Information

Consumers interested in specific information about consolidation will need to call DebtWave. They do not answer industry or person specific questions through live chat or email. This point was verified through user reviews.

Higher Upfront Fee

Another drawback to DebtWave's services is its higher upfront fee. The company charges up to $75 depending on the program and what state you reside in. Many other companies have a lower upfront fee, only charging around $49 for the initial setup.

Availability

DebtWave is available almost everywhere. DebtWave is available in 46 states and states that they could someday offer services in all 50. Some of DebtWave's competitors are available in all 50 states, which allow more customers to use their services. Currently, DebtWave does not offer services in the following states and territories:

• Colorado
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • New York
  • Puerto Rico

The Bottom Line

While DebtWave Credit Counseling, Inc. is relatively small, they have many of the features of a great consolidation company. The company may have a slightly higher upfront fee and does not possess some of the major industry accreditations we look for. However, the transparency of their website is very appreciated, as this is not common in the industry. The low average interest rate is also very appealing. The company provides great value to consumers, and consumers have made their opinions known. Therefore, we feel comfortable recommending DebtWave's debt consolidation services.

Call our recommended rep over at DebtWave Credit Counseling below.

4.8

Leslie Fields

December 9th, 2017 Aiken, SC

I'm Leslie Fields, I called asking for help again they said nothing they can do for me. Well I went to debt reilf they got me in a good program. You guys help me in a great deal but you stab folks in the back. You need to watch cloley what your doing.

Laura R.

November 21st, 2017 Ludlow, MA DETAILS

Very nice and understanding people. Easy to complete.

Courtney

November 20th, 2017 Atlanta, GA

I researched online and compared different credit companies and this one was recommended as a good company.

C. Sanders

November 12th, 2017 Perry, GA

My husband and I had so many different credit cards and the payments were overwheling. Debt . Debtwave customer representative took loads of stress off of our sholders by contacting our creditors and getting the interest rates lowered and consolidating everything to one monthly payment. We will be forever grateful for all Debtwave has done for our family in helping us become financially fit once again. The Sanders family

Robin

October 30th, 2017 Hummelstown, PA

The information was wonderful and Ira Nelson was very professional and helpful I hope it continues.

Lupe Valenzuela

October 11th, 2017

The representative that helped me was great... she answered all my questions and walked me though everything....

Charlene Donnelly

September 12th, 2017

I have used Debtwave in the past and have once again just begun another journey! This companty goes above and beyond in all that they do. Giliane is the epitome of professionaism. She helped me with every detail of becoming debt free. Let's face it, this is a situation that no one wants to be in, but unfortunately many of us are. Having Debtwave to turn to, just made everything so easy. I have recommended them to friends and family! Just a wonderful company to deal with. Can not say enough good things about them!!

Susan Conder

July 29th, 2017

Israel rocks!!!!!!!! He was so kind and as embarrassing as my situation is, he did not make me feel less and really took the time to answer my 200 million questions I asked him. Thank you, Israel.

Mary Ellen Bates

July 7th, 2017

I just want to thank everyone at your company for being so nice, especially Rebecca and Cari . This is a 10 in my review for this company , so promp in calling and e-mailing etc. Sincerely Mary Ellen Bates

Pamela R Morgan

June 9th, 2017 Bradenton, FL

My experience could not have been better. Very personable while still showing professionalism throughout the conversation.

Edmond Lheureux

June 4th, 2017 Seattle, WA

Sabrina H has been great! But we'll see what happens further on down the road!

Sandra shea

May 31st, 2017

Rebeca was wonderful. She was compassionate and explained everything clearly.

Bo Carter

May 18th, 2017 Irving, TX

Outstanding service, explanations and detailing of the legal messages..

Tamera Moellers

May 12th, 2017

Had very good knowledge . I felt like I really had a chance to get out of debt. Thank you for your help.

Aileen

May 8th, 2017

I had a great experience with Rebecca. She was nice and very helpful. She knows what to say and helps me all the way through the process. Im very thankful for all the help.

Robert Benitz

May 6th, 2017 Kalispell, MT

Rebecca made this stressful situation very straightforward and easy. Great customer service!

Chrystal Perry

May 1st, 2017 Opelika, AL

Experience was very easy and thorough.

Randy Tallman

April 29th, 2017

Rebeca answered all my concerns about their services. She gave me the confidence to move forward in near future.

Alberto Rivera

April 14th, 2017 San Antonio, TX

Israel did an amazing job explaining everything for the Debt management program. He listed out both pros and cons of being on the program. Calculated all numbers quickly and gave me an idea of what I would be saving and how long it would take to pay off my debt.

Dana Brown

March 15th, 2017 Cherryville, NC

Rebeca was very pleasant and informative. She was very patient with my many questions. Regards, Dana Brown

Charles Powell

March 14th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

Very courteous and helpful!

Dana Barry

March 12th, 2017

I was very hesitant to call, but I did and Rebecca P explained in detail the program and relieved all my stress about reaching out for help with my debt. She explained the program very throughly and my stress was relieved to know that there is help available. I appreciate her knowledge in explaining the program and to know I will be debt free in 3years is amazing! I appreciated her knowledge of all the program and feel confident in this company.

Michael Wardlow

March 6th, 2017 Tampa, FL

Miss P was very customer friendly and engaging. She really made me feel at ease about everything.

Paul Jenkins

February 21st, 2017 Washington, MO

Rebeca Perez was so nice in helping me with my transactions. It's nice when someone so nice is there to help and I thank her so much!!!

Joanne Taylor

February 8th, 2017

I transferred credit card debt to Debtwave a few years ago and it has been great. It is scary picking a company when it comes to finances, however, they had great reviews a few years ago and still do so that made me feel better. My personal experience has been great too. Customer service is great and helpful. They make sure that things are going okay with your plan and ask for statements to ensure their records are accurate. I ended up paying less than I was paying on my own WITH Debtwave's fee AND the capital is actually going down vs being spent all on interest. Their fee is very reasonable too. I have less than a year now and I am so excited about the improvement of my finances! If you are considering consolidating debt I highly recommend Debtwave, without it I would be paying credit card debt forever!

Albert Jalbert

February 1st, 2017

Absolutely a great person to deal with, made a difficult situation easy to get thru. I wish there more people like her in the world.

Paul

January 24th, 2017

Rebeca was great with DEBTWAVE CREDIT COUNSELING. She was very friendly, explained things clearly, answered my questions, and called and emailed back in a timely manner. My only suggestion would be to allow more time to read and complete the Debtwave Package forms. Lots to go over and digest with such an important decision.

Kimberly Francois

January 20th, 2017

Gilliane was most helpful. I made the call to Debtwave as a stressed person and hung up feeling relieved. I didn't think there was a solution to my situation but Gilliane gave me hope. I will be credit card debt free in 3 yrs and 3 months.

Tania Palmer

January 12th, 2017

Gillian was very helpful and understanding of my current situation. She was very supportive with my goal to pay off debt to start a more organized tomorrow to gradually improve my credit. I can't thank her enough for all of her time, patience and effort. She was articulate with describing the program and discussed all fees so I will be left with no surprises. Thanks again Gilian! Tania

Le Huynh

January 11th, 2017

Rebecca was great! She answered all my questions and concerns. She help me understand what was going on. She was awesome !

Rowland Kay Abubakar

December 29th, 2016 Kent, WA

Great Customers service and I will recommend family and friends to Debt Wave

DEREK CRITTENDEN

December 15th, 2016

Very friendly and knowledge of all questions i had to ask Keep up the good work.

Jennifer Hoyle

December 13th, 2016 Myrtle Beach, SC

Her customer skills was on point. She answered all my questions respectfully and in a timely manner. Thanks

Scott

December 8th, 2016 Bismarck, ND

Rebeca was very helpful in every way explained everything in detail and service was fast and joyful

Jessica Clark

November 30th, 2016

Rebeca was super helpful and nice. She made this experience so much easier!! Thanks Rebeca!

Wayne Myles

November 29th, 2016

The service provided by Ms S was very professional. She was very patient and courteous while allowing me to take my time to ensure that I understood the process. Ms. S walked me through the various options at my disposal. This was a very rewarding experience.

Courtney J Riddle

November 16th, 2016 Lander, WY

Rebeca was very kind and helpful! She was very informative too!

Dana Durkee

November 13th, 2016 Rhinelander, WI

Very friendly and helpful!!!

Susan LaPisto

November 10th, 2016 West Covina, CA

I am a new customer to DebtWave Credit Counseling , Inc. I spoke with Jo-Jo S. She was extremely helpful with reviewing my situation. I am looking forward to improving my credit score and becoming debt free..

randy mazin