West Central Wireless is a local mobile provider serving Central and West Texas, and is based out of San Angelo, Texas, with offices in Brady, Texas. They have 29 locations spread throughout their area, and work by using HSPA, GSM and CDMA networks. They currently provide service to 26 counties of West Texas including: Tom Green, Howard Glasscock, Reagan, Crockett, Sterling, Irion, Schleicher, Sutton, Coke, Edwards, Runnels, Concho, Menard, Kimble, Kerr, Coleman, McCulloch, Mason, Gillespie, Kendall, Brown, San Saba, Mills, Comanche, Erath.
- Wide price range
- Many plans to choose from
- Great phone options
West Central Wireless offers a wide price range of service packages to benefit as many customers in the central Texas region as possible. The process to get started is relatively simple:
- Choose a data plan: customers will choose their home, nationwide, and bonus home data. Monthly charges for these services range from $5-$300 (starting with no data and going up to 48 GB of data).
- Choose a share plan: customers will then choose how many minutes, text messaging, or other features they want as part of their service plan. This will add an additional $14-$38 to the monthly bill.
- Pick out additional features: these features include voice mail to email, web portal, roadside assistance, wireless equipment repair and replacement. These services range from $2 - $10 per month.
West Central Wireless has a ton of great options for phone choices, including the new iPhone 6 and new Samsung Galaxy S5. They have great home coverage (west Texas area), and nationwide coverage, however there is no data to back up how extensive that is, or whether or not there is coverage throughout rural areas.
West Central offers a lifeline plan for low income residents, and a plan called "Link-up" which is another way to save money for those low income residents. They do offer live chat for customer support, which is nice if you need a quick answer. They offer a lot of different features with their phones including: roadside assistance, equipment repair and protection, and other useful features.
- Plans can be expensive
- Not great for individual plans
West Central Wireless plans, including data, are extremely expensive compared to other carriers. If you are wanting near unlimited data and need just an individual plan, you will end up paying significantly more than other providers. For a family plan, the West Central Wireless plans makes a little more sense. Still, compared to other phone companies we have reviewed, their plans seem overpriced. West Central also has a bunch of different fees included with each of their plans, including an activation fee, early termination fees, and others.
There are terms and conditions customers should be aware of prior to enrolling in the West Central Wireless service, including:
- Unlimited Minutes Restrictions: The unlimited minutes feature is restricted to the home area only. This home area covers a few counties in Texas.
- Change in Rate Plans: If you use your service outside of the home area 50% of the time, West Central Wireless can change the rate plan or refuse service entirely.
- Processing Fee: There is a $20 processing fee that is applied on all upgrades and new activations.