LAST UPDATED: February 2nd, 2021
West Central Wireless is a local mobile network provider serving Central and West Texas, and is based out of San Angelo, Texas, with offices in Brady, Texas. Along with its sister companies West Central Net and No Worries Wireless, the company has 29 locations spread throughout their area, and work by using HSPA, GSM and CDMA networks.
They currently provide service to 26 counties of West Texas including: Tom Green, Howard Glasscock, Reagan, Crockett, Sterling, Irion, Schleicher, Sutton, Coke, Edwards, Runnels, Concho, Menard, Kimble, Kerr, Coleman, McCulloch, Mason, Gillespie, Kendall, Brown, San Saba, Mills, Comanche, Erath.
- Wide Price Range
- Available Phone Plans
- Great Phone Options
Wide Price Range
West Central Wireless offers a wide price range of service packages to benefit as many customers in the central Texas region as possible. The process to get started is relatively simple:
- Choose a data plan — customers will choose their home, nationwide, and bonus home data. Monthly charges for these services range from $5-$300 (starting with no data and going up to 48 GB of data).
- Choose a share plan — customers will then choose how many minutes, text messaging, or other features they want as part of their service plan. This will add an additional $14-$38 to the monthly bill.
- Pick out additional features — these features include voice mail to email, web portal, roadside assistance, wireless equipment repair and replacement. These services range from $2 - $10 per month.
Available Phone Plans
West Central Wireless provides customers with a variety of plans to fit their needs and budgets:
- Unlimited Plans — individual plans range from $29.95 to $59.95 depending on the amount of high speed data is required; family plans begin at $79.95, with an additional $54.95 for a second line, and $19.95 for each additional line.
- Senior Plans — Unlimited talk, unlimited text message, and voicemail for $24.95 for the main line (plus $14.95 for an additional line). Talk only plans start at $14.95 per month.
- Data Gizzard Plans — Travel anywhere in Texas or the United States and pay only $10 per gigabyte of high speed data that can be shared with up to eight people.
- Business Plans — Contact West Central Wireless for a quote.
Great Phone Options
The mobile carrier has a ton of great options for phone choices, including the latest Apple and Samsung devices. They have great home coverage (west Texas area), and nationwide coverage, however there is no data to back up how extensive that is, or whether or not there is coverage throughout rural areas.
West Central offers a lifeline plan for low income residents, and a plan called "Link-up" which is another way to save money for those low income residents. They do offer live chat for customer support, which is nice if you need a quick answer. They offer a lot of different features with their phones including: roadside assistance, equipment repair and protection, and other useful features.
- Expensive Phone Plans
- Fees and Restrictions
Expensive Phone Plans
West Central Wireless cellular service plans, including data, are extremely expensive compared to other carriers. If you are wanting near unlimited data and need just an individual plan, you will end up paying significantly more than other providers.
For a family plan, the West Central Wireless plans makes a little more sense. Still, compared to other phone companies we have reviewed, their plans seem overpriced. West Central also has a bunch of different fees included with each of their plans, including an activation fee, early termination fees, and others.
Fees and Restrictions
There are terms and conditions customers should be aware of prior to enrolling in the West Central Wireless service, including:
- Unlimited Minutes Restrictions — The unlimited minutes feature is restricted to the home area only. This home area covers a few counties in Texas.
- Change in Rate Plans — If you use your service outside of the home area 50% of the time, West Central Wireless can change the rate plan or refuse service entirely.
- Processing Fee — There is a $20 processing fee that is applied on all upgrades and new activations.
The Bottom Line
For a family plan, West Central Wireless plans may be a decent deal. But compared to some of the other phone plans, their plans are not the most affordable options. They do not offer an unlimited data plan, which makes purchasing data extremely expensive.
West Central Wireless does offer iPhones and Apple products, while other small mobile providers often do not. They also have a ton of different fees, including cell phone activation fees, data overage fees, airtime overage fees, and more. It is also unclear how good their coverage is outside of the state of Texas.
Based on the cost of their data plans, the lack of information about the company's nationwide coverage, and the amount of fees they include with their plans, customers should conduct thorough research prior to enrolling. To learn more about West Central Wireless's customer service, read our verified West Central Wireless reviews below.
View Best Cell Phone Providers
Was this content helpful?