Ting Wireless launched in 2012 and has grown to over 250,000 mobile customers, six fiber internet towns, and seven offices. Ting takes a different approach to the wireless business model, offering a pay-as-you-go, month by month rate service with no contract or start-up fees, prepaid plans, or strings attached.

The company charges rates for certain data amounts, text messages, and calling minutes at the end of each month rather than a specified plan cost. It is easy to add additional devices and there is no confusion with specific cell phone plans and coverage. Customers who use more pay more and those who use less pay less. Ting also offers phone service to businesses with month-to-month service plans that cover shared usage across unlimited devices, including tablets and WiFi hotspots. Customers choose between its CDMA and GSM networks based on the best network coverage in their area.

Ting mobile reviews reflect a satisfied customer base overall with an average of 4.5+/5 star rating in each of our sentiment criteria for value, quality, trustworthiness, and customer service.

#1 Verizon chevron_right
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• First Month Free
  • Pay As You Go
  • No Long-Term Contracts
  • Data Speeds
  • iPhone and Android Device Options
  • GSM and CDMA Network Coverage

First Month Free

Prospective customers can try Ting risk-free. When you join, you get a $25 credit in free service, which can be applied to your account when you activate it.

Pay As You Go

Ting Wireless is a pay as you go solution. That means users don't pay for services they don't use or over-pay for services they would like to enjoy. The average customer bill sits around $23/month and customers can keep tabs on their bill using Ting's current usage tool. You won't pay overage fees from Ting because there are no limits. You can use unlimited talk, text, and data according to your heart's desire.

No Long-Term Contracts

The monthly cell phone bill varies based on usage and customers are not locked into a long-term contract. You start at $6 per line per month and use all of the talk minutes, text messages, and data you need.

If needed, you have unlimited talk and unlimited text available, but won't be charged for using a lot of minutes or texts unless you actually use them.

Data Speeds

The average Ting customer uses 101-500MB of data per month. 4G LTE data speeds(up to 150 mbps upload speeds) are available depending on your device type and region. 3G and 2G+ voice and text data is also available on the network. Data can be used by a phone acting as a hotspot.

iPhone and Android Device Options

Customers can purchase both iPhone and Android devices and sync them with a network of their choice.

When purchasing a new phone, financing is available with Affirm. Most financing plans are interest-free for the first six months. Models are available in the following brands:

• Apple
  • Samsung
  • LG
  • Motorola
  • Alcatel
  • Google

You can check your current phone on the Ting website to test its compatibility with Ting. If it's compatible, you can bring your own phone and connect it to the Ting network after buying a SIM card. The company recommends you do this prior to purchasing a third-party phone, too, so you know it will work with Ting.

GSM and CDMA Network Coverage

Ting assists customers with prior carrier contracts and securing the best possible network coverage through GSM, CDMA, and multi-network SIM cards. Because of Ting's comprehensive network coverage, there is no extra cost on international calls to over 60 countries.

The Bad

• Potentially Pricey
  • Refunds Not Prorated
  • No Roaming

Potentially Pricey

The Ting Wireless cell phone solution is not necessarily the best option for everyone. Since it is a pay-as-you-go platform, there are times the bill can be expensive if one of the lines uses a large number of minutes or texts or especially data amounts. If you're using your phone as a hotspot to tether other devices to, that will drive up your data bill. Ting might not be the best carrier for a former T-Mobile or Verizon customer used to having unlimited data for a set price.

However, users can set custom alerts and even hard usage data caps through the Ting dashboard on the app for different phones under an account during a given billing cycle. This is useful for families who want to limit certain phones to talk and text capabilities.

Refunds Not Prorated

If you cancel your service, you will continue to be billed until the end of the current billing cycle, and you may be required to pay for certain construction or installation fees that are waived when you sign up.

No Roaming

Ting does not offer domestic data roaming. This is a positive in that customers aren't charged roaming fees, but if you're out of range of a cell tower and need to use your phone, you won't have access to mobile data until you're back in range.

The Bottom Line

Ting has not been in the cell phone business long, but its approach as a service provider is innovative and an especially great option for customers who aren't on their phones a lot. These customers save money through Ting's simple and flexible service option. Other customers are likely to be content, too, because you pay for what you use.

Plus, all account members (especially families) can benefit from the custom usage caps and alerts you can set on the app.

The majority of Ting reviews are positive, especially recent reviews. In summary, Ting customers can expect the following as part of the service:

• Varying monthly costs based on usage
  • Excellent network coverage
  • Purchase desired iPhone or Android devices
  • Unlimited number of lines (add each additional line for $6/month)
  • Helpful customer service

View Best Cell Phone Providers

3.9

Nayankumar B Trivedi

July 17th, 2020 Princeton, NJ

Good service, great rates! I am a very satisfied year prepaid customer. Recommended highly.

Willow

January 30th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using Ting since December 2017. I bought an iPhone SE from them in spring 2018. My phone functions as well as it should, for an older iPhone, however, for the last two years I have had multiple issues. Summer 2019 my data completely stopped working, I could have full bars of LTE and it would not work, even after it had refilled for the month. On vacation for 5 weeks, I could not use my service because my 4G (this continues on to current day) does NOT work with Ting, even with full bars. My data is inconsistent, and if it actually works, it's surprising to me. The customer service is helpful, but that is the only good thing about this company. I receive notifications about voicemails weeks after they are originally sent. I do not recommend Ting Mobile, and I cannot wait to switch.

william vandalsem

January 6th, 2020 Mounds, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i can't imagine where the negative reviews are coming from... I have had this service for 5 years... the price for low to average network usage is unbeatable. the customer service is without a question the best customer service I have ever had. I have used att, sprint and cricket and they all hugely suck in-comparison to ting. the only draw back is the same with all aftermarket carriers(there are only 3 real networks, the rest are 'after market') the aftermarket carriers get second priority during high volume times., this is almost never an issue with data, but voice can be annoying around 5pm in smaller population areas...

Angela

November 13th, 2019 Mayer, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overpriced and no care for long term customers. Don't use them, there are numerous other phone companies that are lower prices.

Sheila

November 1st, 2019 Webster, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ting is one of the smartest moves I've ever made! I was with Verizon for over a decade but I was tired of them slowly taking away my original contract benefits and my bill creeping up to $150 a month. My average bill with Ting is $30 a month and I can really notice the extra savings! I text and send pictures all day, but don't talk much and stay on wifi so I love that I'm only billed for my usage. It drops calls sometimes and I don't have the broadest service reach but usually resetting to the network helps unless I'm in the boonies. What I appreciate the most is the credit they sent when I lost a few days of work due to Hurricane Harvey that covered my phone bill that month and they offered me an extension, no questions asked when my payment card was compromised and I didn't have a new number to give them in time to pay my bill. 10/10 highly reccomend!

Heather Stewart

October 30th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I adore this company and have for many years- great customer service when I need it, which isn't often which is the best

Greg D.

October 25th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ting has a well deserved rating of "F" (the lowest possible) from the BBB because they refuse to respond to complaints. They fraudulently removed $100.00 of "referral credits" when I ported two lines for my roommates and one additional line for a friend because they said I "violated their terms of service". They arbitrarily ignored the fact that most people look at changing phone service like getting a root canal, and since I have no problem doing it, my friends prefer to let me take care of the process. Not only did Ting screw ME out of the referral credit, they never gave the promised $25 "new customer" credit to my roommates and friend. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DISHONEST BUSINESS!!!

Susan

October 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the low prices and good customer service

Erin Genz

September 24th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service and the ability to use any unlocked CDMA or GSM phone makes for a great company.

Dave N.

August 30th, 2019 Berwyn, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was with Ting for 5 months. Each month, calls appeared on my bill (along with billed minutes) that I know I did not make. Ting would correct my bill, but I had to watch it regularly for erroneous calls. Ting also had an annoying habit of 'losing' my phone. I could make calls, but no one could call me. When I found out it was happening, Ting's only solution was a daily restart of my phone's OS. So now I was restarting it every morning and checking for false calls every night. I also had trouble with Call Forwarding. When I submitted a trouble ticket, Ting blamed T-Mobile. Since I was not technically a T-Mobile customer, I could not get any support from them. The Call Forwarding problems seemed to come and go randomly. Ting's savings can be nice, but I had to invest WAY too much of my time and put forth WAY too much effort to be a Ting customer.

S

June 11th, 2019 Logan, UT

Perfect for our family, can personalize, is definitely not overpriced like all the other Phone carrier telephone carrier

E S

June 5th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Ting for several years for our family. It is a very inexpensive option. They also have really good customer service. We don’t always get the coverage that we want, but it is a good trade off.

Kimberli Shaner

May 31st, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used this company for years. Their customer service is top notch. Actual people providing actual service!

Sariah

May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID

Ting has given me affordable cell phones plans that allow me to use my device to the extent that I want to pay. Very convenient

Jacob Shaner

May 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like their flexible plans you can set up from online. They also will text me to let me know if I have gone over any of my limits, and then just charge me for the next bracket up. They give coverage through Sprints network. It works great in the Mountain West, but I don’t get any coverage in Alaska.

M H

May 9th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love that you only pay for what you use and get support from a fantastic team of people.

Teresa Throop

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

With this company, I can afford to have cell phones. I love that I only pay for what I use and I am not having to carry a contract. The website is very user friendly and easy to figure out what you will be paying for the services offered. Sometimes text messages don't come very quickly but overall the quality and value are really good.

Dave

January 23rd, 2019 Troy, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ting is fantastic for anyone who talks, texts and occasionally uses some data. Even better for multiple lines for people like that. Their pricing is the simplest I've ever seen, and usage across all lines go into common bins. Customer service is located in the midwest and has always been prompt, friendly, and knowledgeable . Been a customer for four years, four lines, a bunch of phone switches and never a bad experience. Runs on Sprint and Tmobile, so check their coverage for an idea of how well it will work for you.

Trevor

January 17th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is fantastic company! They have amazing customer service and low prices.

Eileen

September 17th, 2018 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's always been positive. I like the price, plus the customer service.

Titus

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer support, best price than any of the other big name carriers.

Judith Rudolph

January 28th, 2018 Port Townsend, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had Ting, and I have to say they have the BEST customer service. A person answers the phone when you call Ting. There's no automation, no holds, no transfers, just extremely polite, efficient knowledgeable service from people whose English you can understand (sorry, if that sounds racist, but the T-Mobile rep I just talked to after trying to navigate an un-navigatable automation, followed by long holds, transfers, more holds and in the end, downright lies, was almost unintelligible). I highly recommend Ting. If you don't use your phone as your constant companion, you can make 100 calls for $9. + tax/month - or just $6. if you don't use your phone at all. Texts (up to 100) are $3 more, as is data use. I use an iPad w/ wifi for any data I need, so no need for the phone. I did switch to T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go for $3./month (which gives you 30 minutes and/or texts, but no data), but after their horrible service, I'm regretting it. Ting actually runs on T-Mobile, so the coverage is the same. I've never had any problem except at my house, where there is no coverage, even from AT&T.

Nathan

December 13th, 2017 Roseville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been using Ting for over 4 years. Throughout this time I have been thoroughly impressed by their quality, pricing, customer service, and transparency. Unlike the major phone companies, everything they do indicates that they value their customers. All the Ting agents I have spoken to have been knowledgeable and responsive. My average bill (granted, I don't use my phone much) has hovered around $20 per month. Data speed is good, area of service is normal. I've used 2 phones on it, and the transition was simple. Sure, you have to buy your own phone, but that cost is added to your bill anyway with a major phone company. I have direct control over how long I stay with them, and my phone usage dictates how much my bill is. Overall: this is what a company should be like.

D. M.

September 19th, 2017 Hammond, LA

Awful coverage. Don't even waste your time. I've had ting for 6 months. Things were fine until the last two months when I could not send pictures via mms. Now I'm trying to Port out my number and ting is saying I can't because they are having technical errors. So even though I want a new service I'm still stuck with them until they fix the issue! Very very aggravated. Have had lots of "technical issues" with them.

Chris

April 21st, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Ting's pricing leaves a lot to be desired. Compared to other carriers such as the following MVNO: Tello and Freedompop Ting's plans are excessively expensive for what you get. There are thousands of these MVNO in the marketplace. Ting tries to tout itself as cost savings but just like their Internet division there are a lot of hidden fees associated with their service. I don't recommend at all. Try Tello if you need CDMA service and Freedompop for GSM service.