Straight Talk Logo

5.0

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless, a brand made possible by an arrangement between TracFone and Walmart, is a prepaid, no-contract cell phone provider. The carrier offers straightforward pricing, unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited data plans.

Straight Talk is a pretty affordable mobile phone provider: customers can select from plans as low as $30 per month or go unlimited for $45 per month. Straight Talk offers different discounted rate plans available in 30-day no-contract obligation service packages.

In addition, Straight Talk customers can earn points to unlock prizes. Every time a Straight Talk customer renews their plan they earn points and these points double if the customer enrolls in Auto-Refill. Customers can also watch short videos, share on social media or refer their friends to boost points. When it comes time to redeem points, members can earn a free service plan or add-on high-speed data cards.

T-Mobile Logo
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
AT&T Logo
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Basic Service Plans
  • Bring Your Own Phone Feature
  • Mobile Hotspot
  • Deals
  • Available at Walmart Locations
  • Satisfaction Guarantee

Basic Service Plans

Straight Talk's services align with its advertised perks and the tag line "Everything for Less." The carrier provides basic service plans with clear selling points that outline the exact service Straight Talk customers will receive. There are some limitations to these products and services, but Straight Talk is exceptionally transparent regarding what is offered and what is not.

All Straight Talk service plans include unlimited nationwide talk and text. Straight Talk also offers various data plans. The two higher-end service levels offer unlimited data for customers. The only difference between the higher-end service levels is that the top service level offers unlimited international calling and texting. Plan prices range anywhere between $35-$60, and customers can add on global calling cards for just $10.

It is also possible to prepay for more months of service with the Unlimited Plan. There are three additional service extensions with the Unlimited Plan. They include the following:

• Unlimited 3 months: $130
  • Unlimited 6 months: $255
  • Unlimited 1 year: $495

Customers can enjoy peace-of-mind by pre-paying for their phone service a year in advance. With other no-contract providers, you can only purchase service in monthly increments. You could, of course, load enough money onto your account to cover a year, but Straight Talk makes it easy to pay for your phone in advance for as long as you'd like.

Bring Your Own Phone Feature

Prospective customers can also bring their own phone, where a customer service specialist gives you a SIM card so that you can use Straight Talk's service. So, if you have a phone from a prior carrier, there are instances where you can keep it and transfer it over.

Customers can also purchase the SIM card and install it all on their own without a representative. Customers should double check which devices are compatible and which phones Straight Talk allows because its compatibility capabilities are continually evolving.

Sometimes a factory reset is useful and APN settings may need to be adjusted on a phone to align it correctly with Straight Talk's network.

If you want to move your number over to Straight Talk, they make it easy to "port" your previous phone number. Keeping your same phone and number makes Straight Talk an excellent fit for many different customers. Unfortunately, some phones cannot be fitted with Straight Talk's SIM card. Certain older iPhone 4 models are not compatible with the SIM card. There are also no options for integrating BlackBerry into Straight Talk's service at this time.

Mobile Hotspot

Straight Talk sells portable Wi-Fi hotspot devices. Options include both reconditioned and brand new mobile hotspots and tablets with 4G LTE speeds. Note that these are only compatible with Straight Talk data service plans and do not include international service or high performance for multiple devices. Service options are as follows:

• 1 GB data (30-day)
  • 2 GB data (30-day)
  • 4 GB data (60-day)
  • 5 GB data (60-day)
  • 7 GB data (60-day)

Deals

Straight Talk runs deals on multiple devices at a time ranging from free shipping on the latest iPhone and Android phones to extremely low-priced LG, Samsung, and Alcatel models. To pinpoint the most beneficial online deals for you based on your location, enter the zip code in which you plan to use the device the most.

Available at Walmart Locations

Even though Straight Talk is affiliated with Walmart, it is a separate entity of the retail chain. There are representatives ready to assist with questions and activation at Walmart locations or online. Current customers have also been satisfied with the 4G LTE coverage that Straight Talk provides. While the carrier doesn't operate its own network, Straight Talk utilizes T-Mobile, AT&T, and some of the best networks in the United States to provide the best possible coverage for customers.

Satisfaction Guarantee

Straight Talk customers not satisfied with their phone (iPhone or Android) or accessory purchase can return it within 30 days and Straight Talk will either replace it or give them a full refund.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Not Unlimited Data
  • Network Redundancy

Limitations

There are some limitations prospective Straight Talk consumers should be aware of. Consumers have found that some AT&T phones might not be compatible with Straight Talk because of usability issues. For the most part, other carriers' phones are compatible, but customers should double check before making the switch. Once confirmed, a majority of devices can be integrated into Straight Talk's phone service.

Customer reviews describe issues with dropped calls and lack of data service. This can be frustrating when a customer is trying to utilize an Internet connection or make a phone call.

Not Unlimited Data

There are also some issues with the data claims being labeled as "unlimited."

Customers actually get 3 GB of metered data for each 30-day service package that is purchased. When you go over the 3 GB limit, you have access to the data network, but your speeds are drastically reduced. Most customers say that the average customer needs 2 GB of data per month. With 100 MB of data on the low-end plan, you will likely use all your data quickly.

Network Redundancy

There are also concerns surrounding network redundancy with the number of other company's networks that were used. Some of the dropped calls that have been reported may be a result of the shared networks with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and other cellular providers.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Straight Talk can be an inexpensive carrier to use for basic cell phone services and pre-paid cell phones. It generally offers quality coverage that rivals bigger contract providers and includes options for a portable Wi-Fi internet connection via mobile hotspot services.

Straight Talk also lets you use your old phone from a different provider with a simple SIM card replacement that you or a service tech can perform. Or, you can choose from among the latest iPhones or Android smartphones from the company's retail site.

There are some concerns though about the phone unlocking policy that should be mentioned, however. If someone has given you their old phone, you need his or her permission and the serial number to transfer it to Straight Talk. You should also check ahead of time to make sure that your device is compatible to be fitted with a Straight Talk SIM card. All in all, Straight Talk consumers can expect the following:

• Prepaid pricing
  • Data and speed restrictions
  • Quality coverage
  • A wide variety of compatible cell phones
  • Keep your number and phone

Straight Talk reviews are mixed. While some customers are completely satisfied, others are disappointed. For more insight into what customers have to say, read through the verified customer reviews below.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

2.8

Lovely E Beaverton, OR

All I asked for was a new phone number, and then all of a suddenly , I no longer receive texts or calls. 3 days had them telling me to do the same thing over and over and nobody could fix it, most importantly no one could reimburse me for the service I paid or the phone they somehow broke through the process,. The phone no longer can switch over to new service, it's like they gave my phone "brain scramblies" and said oh well sorry. I was so upset , and it was like everything was scripted with these people, and to top it off they asked for a call back number and every new person does the same thing as before, it's maddening. .They literally told me to turn my phone off every 15min for 4-6hrs! Then they made more petty excuses as my irritability became more visible, I mean 3 days of that. Had to go to an actual phone carrier in person for them to tell me I was basically screwed and had to buy a new phone.How do you manage to break my phone by attempting to change my number ? IDK , but I wouldn't recommend this company.

Jayme Price Murfreesboro, TN

I would NEVER recommend to use this phone company! Poor reception. Customer service is nothing but foreigners that do not flesh proper English yet they are handling a country where English is the language. Customer service is poor all the way round. And the worst part is if you don’t have service with them fir a year then they want to charge you $300 to transfer a phone you paid fully for and did not sign a contract. I would definitely look into other phone companies such as Tmobile or Cricket before deciding on Straight talk

Traci Hoffman Liberty, ME

If I could give them zero stars I would. I've been a customer for 10 years and in refilling my service last month I was told by straight talk I now had enough rewards for a months free service. This month I was diagnosed with liver failure and pancreatic cancer. I thought to save some money I would use my rewards. When checking my account I only had enough points for a $35 card. This was confusing to me as I've purchased a $35 card in the past and was told I couldn't use it on my phone. In calling CS I explained when refilling my service with a $45 card their system said I had enough rewards for a months free service. Would $35 give me a free month of unlimited texts & calls. Right now I have to speak with several doctors & schedule several appointments. The representative could not understand what I was saying so I asked for her supervisor. She put me through to the Spanish speaking CS. I do not speak Spanish but luckily the young man was bilingual. He said the $35 card being offered was for internet service only & that issues with Straight Talk automated service led a lot of people to believe they were eligible for a months free service of the plan they commonly use. He said all CS were made aware of this and Straight Talk is in the process of fixing the issue. In 10 years of dealing with Straight Talk this is TBE first intelligent conversation I ever had with CS. Maybe I'll try the Spanish speaking line from now on.

Rcarelar

I got an iPhone 8+ from straight Talk online on 09/27/2020 and also bought the extended warranty. on 6/01/21, the phone started get very hot on the home bottom. I called Straight Talk and the lady at customer service emailed me the instructions to return the Phone, but she never created a ticket. I returned a phone on 6/11/21 and the phone was delivered at the warehouse in Plainfield in Indiana. I have been going back and forth since then about promised replacement. After going through to a long series of options over the phone, finally an agent answered. I gave him all the information about the purchase order and the tracking number confirming the delivery in Indiana and transferred to different departments and managers, the call dropped after 20 or 25 minutes. Called again and the same process again. looks like they never wrote the notes on file and I have to give the same information again and dropped the call again. I think they dropped the call intentionally. It is now 7/18/21 and they call me back. Same process, I have to give them all the information of the case. This time they asked me the EIN of the phone, but they know they have the phone in Indiana. How can I give the EIN of the phone is I don't have it? They have the phone and I made the mistake of not taken a picture of the numbers on the box. and, of course, they dropped the call again. I have called 12 times to customer service and have to start over with all the information again. This is ridiculous. Terrible customer service! Someone who can actually help with the issues at hand need to be able to contact the customers. I have been transferred over 30 times. Highly disappointed with this experience and will never purchase anything else from straightalk.com. They want to still over $400.00 I paid for the iPhone. I think I'll need to solve this through the Court.

Tabitha Smith La Grange, GA

I returned a phone on 7/15/21. I have been going back and forth since then about a refund. I was assured numerous times that it would be returned to my original payment method before 30 days. It is now 7/16/21 and I still have not received a refund. I called in today and I cannot even get through to anyone and the computer will follow up on my ticket number and then tell me my order has shipped and hang up on me. The only way I can contact anyone is through chat but they always have to schedule a call back. I have spent over ten hours dealing with this since 7/7/21. This is ridiculous. I was told today that there was an error in my refund and they had to create a new ticket number and escalate the issue and I still have no clear answer as to when I will get my money back. Terrible customer service! Someone who can actually help with the issues at hand need to be able to contact the customers. I have been transferred over 30 times. Highly disappointed with this experience and will never purchase anything else from straightalk.com.

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Despite being affordable, Straight Talk's service is sub-par. The customer service doesn't seem trained in a lot of areas and a lot of the phones they have to offer to seem very outdated.

Gyspe Lee Tyler, TX

Okay so this year 3 of straight talk this was the final straw. I just suck my service in it has no data whatsoever I'm getting 3 bars or just none at all. About 2 years ago now I bought a years long plan after I moved to my 1st apartment. The monthly change in my data would reset and within the next few hours it would drain completely even though I had 40 gigs. I called them to let them know Hey my data is draining at really high rates of speed even when I'm at work not touching my phone. To which they responded instead of fixing it that my phone was stolen. And if I kept calling and complaining they were going to call the cops... Never in my life have I stolen a phone but I did buy refurbished phones. It's one of the reasons I like staight talk is I could buy any phone I wanted and then set it up with Straight Talk. At this point I don't even wanna call to tell them upset because of how rude to me they were in the past. 3 years ago street talk was the only service the did prepaid plans. Today you can choose from Verizon or T-Mobile store Straight Talk. It looks to me like I'll be changing back to T-Mobile. I'm tired the really shoddy data even though I live in a city. If you live in Arizona definitely do not get this. Their services horrible out here whitch is sad. Because about 2 years ago I was only person who would get service off roading and now I can't even get it in my own house.... seriously if you are thinking about going with Straight Talk consider how much you use your data if use it for work I would seriously consider going with T-Mobile or something else. Even when I go with the unlimited data plan it still runs out even in the middle of the month Which is extremely frustrating seeing I use my phone for work. Again see mobile as the seeming set prices in Walmart just like Straight Talk does consider all your options. And most importantly have a beautiful day!

Take Note Riverdale, GA

Absolute crap!!!! I used to love straight talk, NOT anymore. They throttle your service almost immediately, so it's like being on dial up!! I have had nothing but trouble sense using them the past 2 month.

Michael O Missoula, MT

Garbage customer support. I have had service with them for a decade. I have tried three times to use my reward points for a free plan. Each time it goes to a different family member. They refuse to acknowledge their error. I have worked in a call center before. I know the system. They screwed me over three times. I am moving to a different service. I recommend mint mobile. Be sure to check your service area. It's $98 for three months coverage at 35 gigabytes per month. A bargain compared to straight talk. Straight talk offers you 5 gigabytes for $35 a month.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Straight Talk has really great prices for prepaid phones. But their customer service is horrible!!!! And if you upgrade your phone, it can take 24-48 hours for the new phone to be activated, often times causing you to end up without a working phone at all. Most people don't have landlines anymore. Straight Talk doesn't care about it's customers at all. They also offer points that can be used for things like buying minutes or phones or accessories. But they aren't honest with the points. I rejoined Straight Talk again after switching to AT&T and I was supposed to get a certain number of points but they refused to give them to me. I chatted and called about it and even ended up talking to their corporate office, but still ended up not getting all of the points that I was supposed to get. They make you wait several months before they will give you the points that you've earned and then they won't give you all of the points that you've earned. It's just a scam.

Patrick Gentry Grand Ridge, FL

Straight talk has provided me great service at a good price. Their website is easy to navigate and use. My reception is as good as anyone else's phone that I have contact with. The price is the same every month (no surprises). And one of the least annoying customer service I have had to deal with. I have had good luck with every Straight Talk phone I have owned. Internet speed could be a little better and more reliable.

Linda Larned Fort Worth, TX

My daughter purchased the phone for me. Was not able to activate. Talked to person at Straight Talk and they said could not recognize serial number, wanted me to fax receipt and all kinds of other information. Bunch of junk. I am 77 years old and don't need this hassle. Plan to have my daughter return the phone and get her money back!.

Beverly Hopkins Charlotte, NC

I've been a Straight Talk customer for over 8 years and am very pleased with the services that they offer and affordability. Straight Talk ca not be outmatched by any other phone carrier service!

Sherry Rector Taylorsville, NC

I have had straight y’all for yrs now and they were really good, and still are in certain things. My thing is is that after a little while of having any phone of theirs it starts acting stupid. I literally use my phone for call text and I get on Facebook once or twice a day and that is ALL! The last month or so even if I just put a plan that day on it, the internet is getting slower. It don’t seem to matter though if I just add that plan that day or later in the month. Sometimes it’s really fast then others not so much. And then goes back to bring fast again. And ppl can barely hear me when I talk on my phone. Says that I sound like I’m in a tunnel. When you buy one of straight talks more expensive phones, you kind of expect it to last long then they do. I’m not hard in my phone never have been, so I expect to get a better life out of it especially when I paid more to have a better phone! Everything else beside those issues have been fine though

John

I really like this company. The service is better then the other conpany I was with. The only thing was when i sfarted withnthem they had good quLity cheap phones. Now the cheap phones are not good in quality and cost wat to much

Wayne

They are simple and wonderful I have service others don't and no complaint and Others complain but I like it simple and the payments are just right I can get service when others can n0t exceptwhen i went to pick up grand kifs in mammoth cave

Alton Bell Fresno, CA

The quality of service is outstanding locally and in every area of the country that I have travel, however, I do feel they should allow at least one day of grace with respect to paying the bill to avoid immediate cancellation of service.

M. Myers Flower Mound, TX

Overall Straight talk is pretty good. Their website is easy to navigate and they have an app to make things mobile. Their prices are good too. They have most the popular phones too which is nice, however sometimes you can only get refurbished versions which I don't like doing. They do offer payment plans for phones which I think it great. You can also enroll in auto refill so ylu dont have to remember to refill you plan every month. My biggest complaint is that the the phone plan refill date doesn't stay the same, it will slowly change a day or 2 which makes me feel like you are missing out on a full 30 days of service. I'd like it better if my auto refill date was the same date every month. Their customer service representatives are usually pretty nice. If you buy a phone online, it gets delivered quick, that's nice. So overall, not a bad phone company, but room for improvement for sure.

Judith Pecho

They have been responsive to my needs. But if you buy a phone from their web site their warranty is a replacement with a rebuilt and have had up to three fail. And now they do not exchange faulty phones at their store when you buy at the store but require you send in phone to be replaced w rebuilt. So maybe other companies similar but Straight Talk would replace new faulty phone with new phone at the store. no waiting time and was new one. Seems customer service is declining at most merchants it regardless of what the product is.

Matthew Shepherd Tampa, FL

I had Metro PCS for years and then I moved into a more suburban area were metro pcs did not work that good. I went to Walmart and decided to try Straight Talk and what a great idea that was. Now I can travel all over the place and not worry about loosing phone signals. I am very happy with there service.

Heather J Harlowton, MT

Straight Talk has HORRENDOUSLY BAD Customer Service. In Chat Help, I had an agent constantly threatening to end the session if I did not respond within 1 minute......AS SHE HAD ME LOOKING THROUGH SETTINGS IN MY PHONE FOR IMEI NUMBERS, which I had to write down, then go back to the chat and type in. (Lory) I finally had enough and insisted a Manager call me. They called, I said "Hello", they hung up ! Their Customer Service does not speak English Clear Enough, or well enough, For You To Understand Them, or them you, if you are English speaking. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON STRAIGHT TALK. NOTHING BUT SOCIALISTS.

Mike p AZ Scottsdale, AZ

Very happy with Straight Talk for many years. My basic Android uses the Verizon network works just the same as any other Verizon phone at much less price and a large data pack.

C D Simion Sr Fairchild, WI

Straight Talk used to be an excellent provider but over the last year they have been ripping off its customers. There were only a couple of Choices for a monthly calling packages and Never had any problems, but since they changed their plans I don't get what I used to and I run out of data now every single month. And I have been a customer for over 10years and they refused to help me get access to my rewards account. Telling me that I have to get a new email account to join the rewards program all over, loosing all my rewards and not being able to get the rewards for the last year that they have denied me. I am going to be changing providers for my 4 phones.

Michelle Belleville, MI

A month ago, had you asked, I would have told you Straight Talk was decent. Over 7 years, I had no issues. Then, one day, I couldn't get signal anywhere. Not at home, not at either of my jobs in entirely different cities. The best I could get was 1 bar. After contacting customer service about it, there was no solution. So I decided to switch companies. I had planned on bringing my own phone, but Straight Talk wouldn't unlock it. They didn't mention this until I had been on the phone with them for 2 hours. I got this phone 3 months ago for $175. The trade in value? $8.10. Pick any other company.

Kathleen

Looking to switch from horrible AT&T. I do appreciate that StraightTalk seems to do just that - talk straight and not add lots of extra taxes, surcharges, hidden fees and pure nonsense. Therefore, my review is not about service. It is about company offering, which thus far in my research, I find to be very positive.

David Lopez

I have been a straighttalk costumer for almost 7 yes and never read had any problems until I had a problem I call the automated service to refill my time with my credit card. which I've done since I started using this company The system said that my card was denied which was impossible because I had more than enough funds to pay It then transferred me to a live operator who kept asking me for my card information although I kept repeating not to run it again because it was already done and looking at my bank statement online it showed the funds were taken from straighttalk She said it was only to confirm the information and then told me that it was denied again Needless to say I was upset and asked for a supervisor who spoke English After explaining it to the 3rd person on the line that said they could not do anything about it and that I need to speak with my bank So I called my bank who joined in on a 3 party call and explained that the funds did go through and provided a confirmation number The person on the line said that there was nothing they could do and transferred us to someone who could help This went on for almost 3 hours until they finally said the will submit a credit to my account if we provided them with all my personal and banking information and it could take up to 45 days Thankfully the person from my bank got tired of the run around we were getting and asked for their name and contact information and said they will dispute the charge and give me my money back I really had nothing but good things to say about straighttalk until this happened now I plan to find another company to give my business to because I feel that aftrr 7 yrs I should not have had to be transferred to 6 operators who didn't speak English and still end up losing my money if it were not for the patient person helping me at first citizens bank "my bank" So good bye straighttalk I hope you get some English speaking representatives who can actually help your long term costumers and not lose them

t0m ,

Straight Talk before coronavirus used to be phenomenal! However, when covid hit, it seemed that the data was super slow for no reason. (It very well could be out of straight talk’s control) but they offered extra hot spot each month which was nice. The data still hasn’t fixed itself, and it’s now September, so who knows if the data will ever be fast again.

Mailey Kingston, MO

Great service!! Pretty much get service anywhere. Great prices for good data. Been using this company for 5 years now! Wouldn't change! Great customer service. Always solves problems quickly. Easy to switch service to a new phone as well.

Darrell Z. DiZoglio Dallas, TX

If you just talk and text Straight Talk is fine. If you need a little bit of data, fine. But I'm leaving ST because they DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED DATA AT ALL. Internet and Google Maps/GPS gets shut down on 23 of every month LoL! Why? I used it! Over the years they have disconnected my service 7 times without warning because my CC expired too and that's horrible too. Customer service rating 1 star of 5.

Stuart Kissimmee, FL

So I bought a Galaxy A21 from the site. It worked for 3 months with the only issue being I couldn't send Multimedia Text. With duo it worked.... Then the Camera app stopped working... I sent it back to replacement department.... I received another A21 back. It work for 1 hour then wouldn't connect to network for data or calls.... 3 days later 18+ hour troubleshooting, over 20 different reps including 6 managers it still won't work and they still want to do more troubleshooting, refusing to do a replacement ticket. Samsung won't directly work on the phone because of the contract with Tracphone and I still have a broken phone. The most frustrating parts are having to borrow someone's phone; they NEVER call back; and when you call back in they want to start ALL OVER again with the troubleshooting like nothing happened before. Horribly Frustrating! Buy a phone from someone else or beware, when they replace your phone you are no longer covered by Asurion Protection because it applies to the phone not the plan!

Sabrina Tweedy Camp Wood, TX

I loved the company and their plans at first, but not so much now. They advertise on their unlimited plan that you can use the hotspot. Well they didn't mention that they changed their hotspot rules or regulations. I need the hotspot to do my online college classes and one day they cut off my service and told me that using my hotspot was a violation. They had changed it to where the phones running off gsm towers can't use the hotspot. They did not announce this change and when I tried talking to them they were rude.

David Gray Bend, OR

I've been a customer for several years. Recently, your company pushed the new 5G system and the urgency to switch to a new phone that subscribed to this technology. However, I haven't been able to find a new phone made by favorite manufacturer that supports this new system.

John D Saint Paul, MN

ZERO STARS! ZERO ZERO ZERO You have no service days is the crap I hear from the crappy customer service bone heads yet, I still have minutes, sms and data left on my phone. But, I can't use them because I have no service days (does this make any sense to anyone?). I have time to burn up still on my phone, but no service days. So the bone heads tell me that I have go spend more money on another minutes card to be able to use what I have left on my phone. Does this sound like a great plan to anyone? If so, and you love to get robbed of your hard earned money than this is the corrupted phone plan service just for you. Advice: STAY AWAY! DO NOT BUY HIGH MINUTES SMS OR DATA BECAUSE YOU WILL WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY! IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS CORRUPTED SERVICE, ONLY BUY THE LOWEST PRICE OF MINUTES AND SMS. It is vital that everyone reads these reviews so that you don't get robbed like the rest of the customer experiences that you see in these reviews. THERE ARE VERY GOOD REASONS WHY THESE BONE HEADS ARE RATED SO HORRIBLE. Don't end up in my shoes with this corrupted phone service. I am so looking forward to switching phone services.

Paula Hamlet, NC

Straight-talk was the best decision that I've ever made; not just for me but for my entire family. I know every month what I have to pay with no surprises.

Dennis Driskill Little Rock, AR

Today i went to my account with straight talk to see my service end date only to be informed of a alert on both my home and cell phone service, I clicked their links and it said finally a error has occurred . I contacted them and was told in order to maintain my service I had to buy new equipment I asked what about my loyalty to your company a customer for over 10 years they offered nothing if form of discount on new equipment this happened November 16 2019 coming up with money at christmas for phones during holidays and living on a fixed income I can not afford to do this. after this experience I would not recommend this company or any other Tracfone subsidiaries companies. they cant even attach a working link to their webpage their customer service is beyond belief and has to be the absolute worst I have ever experienced in my life. Don't make the same mistake I made go to a real company that knows what customer service is and should be. you have been warned!

AWest Kingsport, TN

Straight talk turned the Mobil hotspot capability off on my phone forcing the purchase of a separate mobile hot spot device and plan for it, plan ran out early, my fault, used more data than I thought I would. Refilled hotspot would not work, Got called a liar by their supervisors who hung up on me only to have another customer service rep find the issue. They had an error on their website that listed a plan for my mobile hotspot that would not work on it. They processed my refund, for the money they took in seconds, and told me it could take up to 30 days to get my money back. Next day I buy a diff plan and it still won’t work. Call them back they say the SIM card is bad going to take 3 days to get a new one. I go to Walmart and have a new one in minutes. It’s working but it’s been reset and they don’t know the default codes or how to use their own website to reset a password for it. Ten phone calls, 4 chat sessions and over 10 hours of my life later and they finally decide they need to replace the hotspot. Now keep in mind this hotspot is used for a business. It’s used to connect to the Internet so that we can accept credit card payments and So this has already cost us hundreds of dollars in sales and they want me to mail them the one that I have and wait for me to get theirs back so basically keep my business crippled for a week so I tell them to just refund the service card I bought for it that morning. They send me to the return department to the worlds biggest jack wagon who tells me it will take as long as it takes and I should be glad I’m getting my money back at all as he doesn’t have to do it so I said you’re right, I’ll call the bank in the morning and have them deal with you and then I went to Walmart and bought a new phone plan with a built in hotspot. I’ll call the bank in the morning but seriously over 10 years of loyal service and that’s how they act. I’ve had issues with them before and I knew their customer service was terrible but after what I’ve been through with them the the last few days they will never see my business again.

Samantha Morrison, TN

I buy the 55 unlimited data plan. In that plan I should be able to use it as I want. Rather my own data or use my personal hotspot for my tablets etc. But my connection is no longer available to my tablets,etc due to the Hot spot is not included in the contract. In some it says u can use it for months or years before it catches you. If I'm gonna spend over $60 a month then my data should be used as I want. I will be switching networks soon as my month ends. Verizon is the only decent network and data. I would prefer to pay 20 bucks more to use my data as I please. Then not being able to hotspot my tv to watch my Netflix and Amazon prime. I strongly do not recomend straight talk.

christian molloseau Pittsburgh, PA

First, I bought a phone from them that already COST MORE MONEY than what my present carrier was selling it for, Metro PCS, by about $40, but I paid it because I really wanted to try Straight Talk. WHAT A HORRIBLE MISTAKE! The first thing I noticed was that they ADDED FEES on my bill! So, I paid more for everything including my monthly bill than what they told me it would be. Thats two bad things there...Third bad thing I uncovered is that if you want to add an additional service, or lower a service, YOU CANNOT WITHOUT canceling out your current plan and buying a whole new plan! I was completely baffled by this when I wanted to add international calling to my phone but they told me I had to cancel out the plan I just bought that day and lose all that money I paid and buy a whole new plan! WTF??? 4th bad thing is when I found out that with their service, YOU CANNOT TETHER! At this point, I completely hated the company and WAS WILLING TO PAY THEM TO LEAVE! So, I called them and told them they could keep all the money I gave them but I need to take my phone to a new service provider. Guess what! NOPE! THEY KEEP A NETWORK LOCK ON YOUR PHONE FOR A FULL YEAR!!!!!! I couldn't even pay them to unlock it--which I offered! Result, I had to buy a whole new phone (same phone) with my new but previous carrier when I wanted to leave this despicable company!

Dissastisfied customer Anderson, SC

A straight Talk customer for 14 years. wanted to try a different company on a trial basis. After talking to 4 customer service representatives, and getting incorrect information, the 5th representative gave me the account number and told me the phone would be unlocked in two days. This was on August 27 and it is now Sept 4 and the phone is still not unlocked. I go to the straight talk website to chat with a representative. They asked for the IMEI number so I gave it to them. He (Guillermo) stated that I needed to call the fraud department to get it unlocked. The unethical Fraud Agent stated the phone was never activated. How do you use a phone that was purchased from straight talk and activated by a representative never been activated. I have now switched to another service provider who is cheaper with better signal. Three people in my house, including myself , have cancelled service with straight talk. Will never use them again. That is what you get for being a loyal customer of fourteen years with a company that has no integrity.

Tim Daniels Mission, KS

I’ve been a loyal straight talk customer for 6 years. Last Wednesday, August 21st I called to get my phone unlocked since I’m switching to a different phone carrier due to a family discount. My phone is eligible to be unlocked according to the Straight Talk policies. I have spent about 5 hours on the phone in the last 10 days, calling 1-2 times every single day only to work with incompetent customer service representatives after another. Each day someone had an instruction like “call back in an hour, our unlocking person isn’t here.” Then when I called back “the person who can unlock the phone has left for the day.” I was also told: “We have to get in touch with Apple.” “Our unlocking system is down.” “No I’m not able to call you back.” I can verify that at least one of these excuses is a complete lie, since I called Apple to ask how they were involved with the unlocking process. They informed me that it is entirely up to the phone carrier and they aren’t involved in the unlocking process in any way. Avoid Straight Talk at all cost: a company that lies to their customers, gives them conflicting information, and is filled with incompetent workers who do not care about the customer. I have been without a phone for 10 days (oh and by the way, it STILL isn’t unlocked), even though I have a working iPhone which I am completely within the Straight Talk policies for unlocking. Run. Away.

PK Checotah, OK

I recently switched to Straight Talk brought my phone with me and ported over my number. Then I had to purchase a refill card the $35 plan which was almost $39 with tax. I was getting 5gigs high speed for $35 after auto pay that included everything with my previous carrier. I then ordered a phone from Straight Talk.com. well, they sent me a phone locked to Verizon when I needed AT&T. Had to pay to return it . Wouldn't exchange it for a AT&T compatible phone. Now I'm just waiting for the end of the month and my refund then going back to the carrier I had before. If I could rate Straight Talk they would get 1 star out of 5.

A B Indianapolis, IN

Straight talk must be bankrupt because they rip off their own clients who used the service for years. I can't use my data which I paid for for a whole month. After only 5 days my data is disabled. They tell me because the hotspot on my phone was turned on. If the hot spot was turned on by accident which it could happen very easily no forgiveness all 25 GB of data are gone. AT and T has a plan for the same money and it includes the hot spot. so what is the secret exactly with them not allowing the hotspot? I paid for 25 GB and I was told I can use them anyway I want and I hadn't used even 2 GB yet and all my data is disabled on my phone and guess what the hot spot is working but not the mobile data. Something wrong with this picture. Staighttalk get a life. I hope that the FCC cancel this service and you would be out. Walmart you suck.

Samantha Longview, TX

Straight Talk is the absolute worst service you could use. I've used Straight Talk for awhile, but had many problems during that time. Customer Service is absolute trash. They don't listen to what your problem is and it seems as though nobody can fix the issues you have with your service. Speaking of service, you can forget about ever having any on your phone. Now, I've had Straight Talk for awhile, but after all this time it was FINALLY starting to get better, or so I thought. Straight Talk sent me a text telling me that the network they put my phone one was going to be disconnected so now I have to buy a new phone, which I don't have the money for, and they are going to do nothing about it. DO NOT USE STRAIGHT TALK. THEY ARE TERRIBLE!

Ray Conowingo, MD

Customer service is horrible! Need to hire experienced people who know what they are talking about instead of outsourced people who do nothing but read a script. On Saturday 5/11, I ordered a phone via phone because the online checkout would not work. The first person transferred me because they did not know what to do. The second person "Jennifer" ( which was definitely not a Jennifer) told me that the phone will ship out on Monday and I would receive it Tuesday 5/14 via overnight shipping. I paid the 14.95 overnight shipping and Tuesday came and no phone. I called back on Tuesday at 7:30pm and spoke to a "Victor". After finally getting him squared away that I did pay and payment went through on 5/11. He told me it hasn't shipped but he also thought (at the end of the call) it was Monday instead of Tuesday. He then quickly hung up on me.

classicrun Greenville, SC

I would give a zero if possible. StraightTalk Corporate absolutely disgusts me. I have had my phone and service for about 3 years. Various people had said they left a voicemail message for me but there wasn't anything there. As far as I knew, I had a working voicemail. Finally, more people insisted that they had left voicemail messages but there was nothing. I tried leaving a message for myself. I got "you have accessed an automated system, please leave your message." I left messages but nothing showed on my phone. Even calling voicemail (holding one on my phone) to access their system didn't work. It said "no messages." I called customer service repeatedly. NO HELP. They just told me to restart my phone. The problem wasn't my phone (Apple ran diagnostics) but they tried to blame my phone. They blamed me saying that I had changed a setting. NONE OF THIS WAS TRUE. Resets of voicemail didn't work either. All that did was erase all previous messages FOREVER, INCLUDING THE LAST MESSAGE FROM MY DYING MOTHER. I am disabled but had to go to Walmart to call from a landline. Who has landlines anymore? Hours of standing in the electronics section of Walmart and still no fix. This then stretched to DAYS. Still was not recording messages on their system. Finally got customer service to call corporate. IT TOOK THEM AN HOUR TO PICK UP THE PHONE. In the end, my account had to be wiped and started over. There was no way to fix it. THE FAULT WAS TOTALLY THEIRS AND HAD BEEN FROM THE BEGINNING. Their customer service is horrible and they obviously don't care because they have no phone, no email, and no current CEO listed. Oh, DID THEY OFFER ME A CREDIT OR ANYTHING FOR WHAT THEY DID - NO. I would never recommend them to anyone and will never buy a phone from them again.

Debbie Princeton, TX

I have been a customer of Straight Talk for almost 6 years. I have bought 3 different telephones from WalMart for the use of Straight Talk. My last phone got to where it would not hold a charge. My son bought me another telephone from a different carrier. Straight Talk debited my account $145.28 on March 4, 2019. My phone completely stopped working on April 2, 2019. I called for a refund of my money. I was told I did not qualify for a refund because I went with a different provider. I also spoke with a manager of Straight Talk, I was told it was their policy if you go to a different provider you will not get any refund. So heads up on anyone who may decide to go with this company, don't pay for more than one month at a time.

Sarah Head Sherrills Ford, NC

I gave my old iPhone 6s Plus to my best friend to use since I upgraded to the new iPhone X. Well my iPhone 6s Plus is paid in full!! Straight talk locked the phone I paid $800 dollars for and are refusing to give us an unlock code. Said she won’t be able to use it for a year or more. How is that fair?!?!? How can they hold a paid for phone hostage!! All I have to say after the last two bad experiences I’m glad I’m using another carrier!!!! I’ve gotten several numbers to call. I’ve called and get sent to 20 different people who don’t know anything about the phones not to mention you can’t understand what the they are saying anyhow!! Frustrating and will never go back to using their phones and network!!

Judi Thomas

I enjoy the flexibility to pay when I want to, they have a good coverage area, I feel I get what I pay for, they have different options to choose from, and the list goes on.

Debbie

I have no problems with straightTalk, and they are by far the cheapest provider for $45 per month with 10 gigs of media. Unlimited, if you tether onto your internet!

Jonathan Fort Worth, TX

I bought an Iphone6 and a $35 prepaid card which i ordered online. When I received it and I tryed to activate it. The PIN on the prepaid card is invalid!! Which I tryed to activate it on there site and on the phone. I tryed for 4-5hrs and I got nowhere!!!! So I tryed to speak to a REAL person and that is impossible! I attemped to talk on there online HELP messenger. Which went horrilbly! They tell me to keep calling the number youll get a person eventually! So now the phone and the prepaid card is useless!!!! This is by far the worst experience ive ever had with any company!!! It almost seems like Straight Talk is a SCAM!!!!!!!!!! I will be reporting this company to the BBB!!!!!