Founded in 1995, Intermedia is a cloud services provider of over 30 business applications including email exchange mailboxes, file sync, file sharing, productivity, security, backup, and VoIP and Unified Communications (UC) services, which we will be focusing on in this review. These services are offered via the Office in the Cloud software suite and can all be managed through the same online control panel.
The Intermedia CallScape app includes presence monitoring, PC dialing, and integration with Outlook and CRMs.
The provider has ported 200,000 PBX phone lines since 2010; that is 4,500 per month.
Intermedia VoIP pricing
Cloud PBX: $30.99 per user, per month
Hosted PBX features:
- 1 direct dial number
- 1 extension
- 1 WebFax
- 3-way calling
- Caller ID
- Call transfer
- Call waiting
- Find Me/Follow Me
- Online portal
- Single sign on
- Unlimited U.S. calls
- Voicemail to email
- Custom pricing is available for over 50 users
Each PBX account’s service includes:
- 1 auto attendant
- Free onboarding with user and phone setup
- Hold music
- Hunt groups
- SmartConferencing: 200 toll-free min
- Additional auto attendants: $4.99 each
- Additional local or toll free numbers: Price unlisted. Must call for pricing
- Fax lines: $14.99 per month, unlimited local minutes, 300 long distance
- Find Me/Follow Me: $4.99
- Lobby phone: $12.99 per month - Unlimited local calling. $0.03 per min for long distance
- Mobile softphone: Price unlisted, must call for pricing
- SmartFax Pro: $3.99 per month
- WebFax: $4.99
SIP trunking services are available from Intermedia Office in the Cloud, with two options:
- Unlimited Plan: from $24.95 per month
- Unlimited long distance and local minutes
- Bundled Plan: from $16.95 per month
- 300 long distance minutes (additional minutes are $0.292 per minute)
- Unlimited local minutes
There is a minimum of two SIP trunks per order, one DID (Direct Inward Dial) number, and one E911 address/number per trunk group.
Intermedia Unite: A cloud-based phone system combined with UC and collaboration tools and the following pricing plan options:
- Unite: $30.99 per user, per month
- 90+ calling features
- AnyMeeting video conferencing and screen sharing meeting capacity: 4 video, 200 audio
- Caller ID
- Find Me/Follow Me
- Intermedia unite apps: Desktop and mobile
- Phone number and extension
- SecuriSync file sharing and backup: 2 GB
- Team chat and messaging
- Unlimited calling in U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico
- Up to five calling endpoints
- Visual voicemail
- Voicemail transcription
- WebFax virtual fax
- Unite Pro: $40.99 per user, per month
- All of the basic features
- AnyMeeting video conferencing and screen sharing meeting capacity: 30 video, 200 audio
- SecuriSync file sharing and backup: 100 GB
- Each Unite Account includes:
- 200 toll-free minutes per month
- Auto attendant
- Call recording
- Directory integration
- Up to 10 hunt groups
Keep reading our Intermedia VoIP review for pros and cons. Any current or former customers are encouraged to leave us a review of this provider’s services.
View Best VoIP Providers
- Quick Installation
- Hardware Options
- Security, Compliance, and Reliability
- Customer Service and Tech Support
Installation is handled by Office in the Cloud Concierge service.
With this provider, there are three options when it comes to using a desk phone with your voice PBX service:
- Intermedia Phones — You can buy phones from the company. Special 0 percent financing is available on desk phones for 12 months. Several different phones from Polycom, Yealink, and Cisco are available to shop at intermedia.net. A 1-year warranty is included.
- Enhanced BYOP — Use any supported phones that are either previously purchased from Intermedia or purchased at a third-party
- AnyPhone BYOP — Desk phones not supported by Intermedia. These include any desktop softphones, intercom or overhead paging phones, or front door phones. They are not guaranteed to fully work with Intermedia’s service.
Additionally, the company runs a BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program.
Security, Compliance, and Reliability
Intermedia offers security and compliance features to ensure reliability. First, a 99.999 percent uptime SLA is offered, which means there is less than 26 seconds of downtime per month. Next, its services are HIPAA and PCI compliant, and data centers are audited according to SSAE 16 Type II standards.
Additionally, data is encrypted for all emails, chat, file sharing, voice, and single sign-on information.
Customer Service and Tech Support
Customer support is offered 24/7 by Intermedia, although if you don’t have a supported phone, they may not be able to help you.
The business phone services offered by Intermedia are pretty average when it comes to hosted PBX pricing. There are definitely cheaper options for SMB customers from tested competitors, like Jive, RingCenral, and 8x8, which all offer plans starting at about $20.
When it comes to add-on fees, customers should be aware that if a dedicated fax line is needed it can cost $14.99 per month.
Additionally, customers with hosted PBX service don’t have a softphone included in their plan, and pricing is only available on request.
If your business wants to utilize multiple auto attendants, this may not be the service for you, as there is a $4.99 monthly fee, per attendant, while other phone systems offer unlimited auto attendants for roughly the same pricing.
The Bottom Line
It seems like the customers that would benefit the most from this VoIP solution are those that are already using Intermedia for other business services like file sync and sharing or web hosting. The company’s services promise worry-free service with easy installation and several different security and reliability measures.
While the pricing isn’t exclusionary for SMBs, the company caters to those who would like to either get desk phone based cloud PBX service, or who would like to use the unified communications tools Unite app on a mobile device. If customers want the best of both worlds, they will likely have to pay an add-on fee for it.
View Best VoIP Providers