Jackson Hewitt is one of the largest tax prep companies in the United States. It claims to handle around 2.2 million returns (federal and state) on an annual basis. Based in New Jersey, Jackson Hewitt has almost six thousand franchise offices spread throughout the United States, but it has also worked to establish itself as an online tax prep service as well. The company was acquired by the Cendant Corp in 1998 and a revised Jackson Hewitt Tax Service with an online option was spun out of this massive merger of several related firms.

The Good

• Personalized Deductions
  • In-person Assistance
  • Free Basic Option

Personalized Deductions

While Jackson Hewitt does have some great "help me decide" guides, it does have to be noted that these are for only the most fundamental issues. Of course, it does get praise for its occupation-specific deduction discovery tools. These cover a wide array of occupations from which to choose. The guides will then walk you though the various deductions that might apply, and then input the data accordingly which helps you take advantage of commonly overlooked deductions. There is also a life events guide that is similar to other software options. These are changes from year to year that could result in a substantial impact on an individual's tax situation. The tool walks you through such things as family, education, career, home, and more. You are then guided to input any information where these situations apply, and the software distributes that accordingly.

In-Person Assistance

Something that sets the Jackson Hewitt apart from so many others is the retail location access. Those who use the website are also encouraged to pay a visit to the nearest office if they have further questions. Not all issues are going to require any fees, and this helps the online software to really stand apart from the crowd. Like most other companies, Jackson Hewitt offers a 100% accuracy guarantee and also a biggest refund guarantee.

Jackson Hewitt has over 6,000 locations in the U.S. For those who have trouble filing taxes themselves online, Jackson Hewitt encourages them to talk to a tax professional in the area.

If you don't want to go to a physical location, you can reach out to Jackson Hewitt in the following ways, however, they do not offer live chat options.

• By phone: 1-800-234-1040
  • Twitter: @jacksonhewitt
  • Email: https://jacksonhewitt.custhelp.com/app/ask

Free Basic Option

Jackson Hewitt offers a free tax prep option that's best for those with simple taxes. You could qualify if you're single or married filing jointly, have less than $100,000 taxable income, don't have special deductions, have W-2 wages and/or unemployment, and if you have no dependents.

The Bad

• Limited Accuracy Guarantee
  • Spin-off Software
  • No Automatic Deductions
  • Lack of Tools
  • Pricey

Limited Accuracy Guarantee

While the accuracy guarantee is thorough, it does come with a lot of stipulations. The guarantee has a lot of exclusions. If Jackson Hewitt does make a mistake, they will refund the full customer payment (if the mistake is brought to the company's attention within 30 days). Copies of the mistake's documentation are required.

Spin-off Software

This software is not something that is considered original, or even proprietary. Rather, it is a sort of spin-off from others, and it comes with a higher price tag.

No Automatic Deductions

The company does not offer automatic deduction information, but the website does provide thorough information on commonly overlooked deductions. The "overlooked deduction" tab is the bottom of the homepage and goes over the top 50 overlooked deductions.

Lack of Tools

Another downside to this software is the lack of handy tools that other programs make standard. For example, the alerts that show when information is missing, incomplete, or seemingly inaccurate is not present in this software. Thus, you can forget crucial data without even realizing it. There is also not any sort of "meter" available. Many other tax programs feature measures that gauge how far you are in the process or how much you owe or will receive, but there are no real-time measures anywhere in Jackson Hewitt's program.

Pricey

The price point of their software is a bit steep. You can file your taxes online with Jackson Hewitt for free, or choose from the following options:

• $69.95 - Best for familees and retirees
  • $109.95 - Best for complex returns

Jackson Hewitt charges an extra $39.99 per state filed. Many customers complain that Jackson Hewitt has hidden fees and it will end up costing you more than you're told.

The Bottom Line

Jackson Hewitt is an ideal option for those with simple tax situations. Yes, there is support for all of the deductions, but such things as asset depreciation, charitable donations, and rental property income have no tools available. This makes it more of a tool for the simple tax returns rather than complex returns for couples or small businesses. The access to storefront support is very useful, but there are no guarantees that these visits will not require even further financial expenditure. However, there are some features to Jackson Hewitt such as data import and audit support available.

For more information, check out the Jackson Hewitt reviews below.

2.0

Laura Grabfelder
April 17th, 2019 Marshall, WI DETAILS

I will not go back to Jackson Hewitt again. I told the tax preparer that I had insurance forms and he said that he didn't need them. Then I find out from the IRS that the tax form 8962 was missing for my Marketplace insurance. I called and was told that the return did error out and no one called me. I sent the form in and spoke to management and was told that my prep fee will be refunded once the IRS finishes my taxes. I called and was informed that instead of being able to go into the office to get the check corporate needs to send it and it will take 4-6 weeks. then I received a $25 e-gift card for Walmart. when I called after 3 weeks corporate has no information on any refund. I have a feeling that I won't see anything from them. Corporate is saying the office processes the refund and the offices are saying it is corporate.

Katherine Benton
March 12th, 2019 Hitchcock, TX DETAILS

They charge you $500 to do your taxes. Simple taxes like head of household one dependent. And they don’t tell you they’re going to charge you that. They say that they don’t even know what it will cost you before it’s done it’s what I was told. So she had me sign everything she electronically of put my taxes in and then I showed me what fees they were charging me. I will never recommend them I will never use them again.

PatK
February 22nd, 2019 Box Elder, SD DETAILS

Outrageous fess,hidden fees,over $500 to do a simple return,my advice,use Turbo tax.You can do a simple return for free,this is highway robbery

Anita Baxter
February 6th, 2019 Rockwall, TX DETAILS

Run don't walk away from this service! Even though we could easily have done our own taxes, we really need our refund money now, so we went to the Jackson Hewitt Office because we thought we could get the 0% loan of our money. We were shocked to the core at the $500 fee to prepare our very simple taxes. But we went forward because of the amount of our refund. The loan amount we were approved for barely covers the cost of the tax preparation. I can't believe this is legal! How many ways can businesses find to take advantage of the desperate. Apparently one more.

Jake
February 6th, 2019 St. Petersburg, FL DETAILS

Jackson hewitt cheated me out of $265. I was preapproved for a $500 advance loan. Charged $265 for 5 minutes of work turbo tax would have done for free. Handed an amex card and told money would be there in 20mins. 2 hours later i get a call saying i am denied for the loan. No reason given. I would have NEVER paid $265 if i knew i could be denied. They pulled a bait and switch and take advantage of decent hardworking people.

Tee
February 6th, 2019 Chester, PA DETAILS

Here at the woodlyn location they opened past 9am and did not honer my appointment time and there's only one rep to assist...sad

Samantha Olds
January 18th, 2019 Buffalo, MO DETAILS

I set up an appointment to go in for a tax refund advance on 1/3/2019. Got there early, everything was going great. Informed my tax preparer Brandi, that I may have a corrected 1099, So I only wanted to apply for the loans, not to submit my taxes. She assured me MULTIPLE times that we were not submitting my taxes because she "didnt want me to have to file an amendment if my 1099 was corrected" GREAT!! She gave me some paperwork to bring back in with me with my corrected 1099 to finish up my taxes and correct them if necessary. Finished up, signed for the loan, got an estimate of what my refund would be. Great day. I even got home and did the survey for her (ALL 10'S) Next day, come to find out there was a computer system error for the refund advances and Jackson Hewitt needed to update their system and reprocess the loan. Again I was reassured over the phone by Brandi that this was resubmitting the loan and my taxes are NOT BEING FILED and I still needed to bring in the paperwork she gave me and my corrected 1099 to submit my taxes. I called the customer service line a few hours later to try and make sure that there were no more errors, they tell me my loan is saved, but not resubmitted. They call Brandi, she assures them its submitted. Ok, we go through this another 4 times that evening, Customer service saying it isnt submitted, Brandi telling them that it is. Whatever at this point, its either submitted or not, I dont even care at this point, Id wait and see what happened. Got a denial email the next day, doesnt say which loan I was denied for, Brandi told me if i was denied for the "Go Big Refund Advance" that Id need to click on a link in the email they send me, to change to the "No Fee Refund Advance" Look at the Email, Nothing to click on. I called Brandi back, she said "they will send you a follow up email and the link will be in there". Not surprised at all, I never got a follow up email. I was done with Jackson Hewitt, they cant even tell me correct information about a loan application, why would I go back and finalize my taxes through them? Noone can tell me which loan if not both I was denied for, tried customer service, facebook, in store, and through metabank. I am Done with Jackson Hewitt. So Imagine my Surprise when I get an email stating that the IRS has accepted my federal refund??????? Surely not, I never submitted my Taxes with Jackson Hewitt this year. Oh yeah, It was sent over. Called Customer service again, Was transffered around a few times, few different phone calls, Finally got escalations. She assured me the regional Manager of that location would contact me to resolve this. Got a Call from Fred, apparently in order to submit a refund advance with a 1099 the taxes HAVE to be submitted...and APPARENTLY my tax preparer informed me of this, even though she assured me multiple times that she was NOT submitting my taxes AND THAT I STILL HAD PAPERWORK SHE GAVE ME AND NEEDED IN ORDER TO SUBMIT THEM. He is happy to file an amended return if my 1099 is corrected, but theres nothing else he can do for me without a copy of a recording of Brandi telling me she was not submitting my taxes...This is straight up FRAUD, I am being FORCED TO PAY THEIR FEES, and there is nothing in this world that would make me go back through Jackson Hewitt for anything, so now I am forced to pay for someone else to do an amended return, and my tax refund will be late because of this. Looking around facebook and reviews, turns out I am not the only one this has happened to. Something needs to be done about this.

Mia Hernandez
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I would never go here again to do my taxes the girl i got last year didnt know what she was doing at all anything i brought up we had to wait for assistance on by the time it was all done like 5hours later i thought we were good fine whatever at least i got my paperwork done early then like 4 days later i get a message and a call from her that my return was denied after further investigation it was cuz this clueless little girl put the wrong information in....

Jennifer Perry
November 16th, 2018 Spring Valley, CA DETAILS

I have been using Jackson Hewitt for the last 4 years. They have been very helpful to make sure we get a good return on our taxes. They are fast, friendly and reliable. The price for them to do the taxes is a little high, but that would be the only negative.

Celia
September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

They make sure we get every penny that we are entitled too. So far so good. My tax preparer is so amazing. No complaints on our part. When you itemized of course theres an extra fee but so far they are the cheapest. Been with them for many years now.

Robin
August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

very nice, helpful, knowledgeable, got my return with no issues. price was fair.

Tualagi
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Very friendly and knowledgeable. i had to make an appointment and was there for an hour. i got my taxes between 3-4 weeks. great first experience.

Rashida Laumatia
August 28th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Didn’t like the extra fees and not as simple to file. There were so many extra steps than I’ve ever had to do before:

Dawnell
August 21st, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

They get your best return as possible and they have great customer service.

Shannon Maness
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They are very good but needs more knowledgeable staff. Their fees are also a little on the high side.

Ruth Anne Bright
July 25th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

Having worked a tax season with this company, I found it excellent. The training was top drawer. Very customer service oriented. Whether a simple or complex return.

Brian Vaughan
April 2nd, 2018 Murfreesboro, TN DETAILS

Murfreesboro, TN. Awful! From their four appointments that wasted many days and made me wait anyways, to the lying and deceitfulness of the area franchise manager Roxanne, to the area manager... Her son Chris, to the local office Francie. Everyone likes CV on top of lies. You can only reach a solutions team through instant message, I asked for a phone number and they sent me to a number to win a free cruise, really? Grr. The franchise lied even to their home office about reaching out to me. Every time you reach IM they want two days to get back with you. None of the six times did they reach me back. They said they could do my corporate taxes, held them two months and did nothing with them. Turbo tax here we come. I would NEVER recommend them. NEVER. Awful with zero solution.

James Smith
March 6th, 2018 Westlake Village, CA DETAILS

3. It costs a lot for them to prepare taxes and takes away from the money we are suppose to be getting back. Went with turbotax this year.

Nancy Sousley
February 21st, 2018 Lafayette, IN DETAILS

No problems and quick service. Professionalism in customer service.

lisa
February 21st, 2018 Boise, ID DETAILS

Because they care more about you as a person an getting you a refund where H&R I've used and one guy did not do it right for 3 different years and when I took it to get check out found that I was over charge by 1500.00 and to process my texea every year they went higher on their prices 400.00 to do my taxes craxy

Mary
February 21st, 2018 Richmond, VA DETAILS

never had an issue very friendly service

Diane E. Malone
February 2nd, 2018 Bartlett, IL DETAILS

This will be our fifth year using Jackson Hewitt. They have always done a terrific job and even figure out how my husband and I would file both jointly and married but separate. i will be dropping off this year's tax info this morning. We have always paid out of our refund(s) and have never been charged more than we were quoted.

Celina Neely
May 2nd, 2017 Livingston, TX

Horrible company, lies, doesn't get returns to people, the franchises/employee's lie and don't know all about it., customer service, doesn't know about the franchise information enough to help if you have a problem. They give out wrong information, blame customer service, give out wrong locations and phone number, I WILL NEVER recommend this company. Going back to H&R Block!!!!!

Brooke Brashears
March 20th, 2017

We have been told to come back twice now after attempting to have our taxes done at Jackson Hewitt in Murfreesboro, tn. The second time, the woman couldn't figure it out and told us to come back a third time saying that the lady with more experience would have to handle our taxes. She said that this woman would be calling us to schedule an appointment time on march 18th, since we had already been by twice. We received no such call. So we showed up on the 18th and were told a time to come back by for an appointment later that day. We showed up once again at our appointed time and have now been waiting an hour and a half. There are 2 people working here during the busiest time of the tax season. This place is unorganized clearly with no communication. We will not come back. I've now spent half my day off waiting in and out of Jackson Hewitt.

Jamie Lynn Izzi Estrada
February 23rd, 2017

I want a refund on my fees for false advertisement I got robbed by it was not giving proper information so I'm at 2000 loss I just want a complete refund on my fees

Chris Carlisle
February 23rd, 2017

Beware the hidden fees ! This company lures you in with low tax prep pricing, coupons, ect and then hits you with all kinds of fees they don't tell you about ! Lesson learned....I'll never use them again !!

Michelle
December 21st, 2016 Gloversville, NY

I had decided to try Jackson Hewitt this year for the first time for the Express Loan. I have used HR Block every year prior to this and never had a problem. Jackson Hewitt took 4 hours of my time at an appointment that should of been only an hour the max just to find out in the end that the preparer enter my husband's social wrong and my phone number. The information was physically sitting right on front of her and she still managed to enter and submit it wrong. I was told we would find out in a couple of hours by a text saying if we were approved for the loan or not. 4 hours went by and no text because she did not enter the information correctly which I did not notice at the time until rereading the forms. I called there headquarters number and spoke to someone there about the errors that were found and they said they could not help me and said I had to contact back the same location I filed at which I couldn't cause they closed so she put me on hold just to Google a close by phone number for me. The rep at the headquarters was rude in the mean time and I tried to explain that to her and she hung up on me. The next day I called back the same location I filed at and someone actually answered but was not very nice either, I explained my situation to her and she said she would correct it and resend the information to the bank, I call the bank to check the status of the loan and could not get a status unless the wrong social was put in and then it proceeded to tell me it was denied and nothing at this point could be changed and the decision was final. I called the person back at the location I filed at and she was very rude and said she personally corrected the information herself and resent it and every time I tried to talk she over talked me and cut me off. The whole chance for the loan was ruined since the beginning by the preparer who entered and submitted the wrong information and the bank will not accept any changes. I have never experienced this type of a unprofessional experience with HR Block and I will not ever try to use Jackson and Hewitt ever again

Event R.
September 12th, 2016 San Jose, CA

I got in trouble because of JacksonHewitt tax preparer neglect to file and complete the form that there supposed to.So I went to one of office asked them to redue it but the lady who work for jackson Hewitt said there's no way she can fix it she told me why can't you just pay it (for all the trouble that they put me through that's the best they do or say to me ) and by the way her name is Mae Apuli (Newark ,ca mall branch )she don't even have a license because I asked for license number. I asked for the they gave me the wrong number.

Barbara Baker
April 28th, 2016 Abington, MA

1st couldn't make the appointment on line, had to call., when there NO FEE schedule, then guy has smeg on sleeves from his runny, sneezing nose,, couldn't understand him due to adenoids....was also quoted a price of $99.00 for ez which mine were.. total refund to be $300.00, they want $234.00, really, said I'd be willing to pay the $120.00 H&R Block quoted me , guy messages boss, Replys H&R Block it is.. so H&R Block did my taxes for $70.00 for you screwing me over.. so I hope more people write the truth about your company, so no more have to get screwed over by you..

Shea Lowery
April 25th, 2016 Clover, SC

I will not return to Jackson Hewitt any time soon, I filed my taxes on January 30th and still have not received them. First I was told they could be filed without my insurance 1095a then 2 weeks later received a call that they had to be amended, I mailed them off myself, they were faxed supposedly to the IRS 3 times and every time with no results. I finally refaxed them myself and will finally be receiving them soon. I paid a lot of money for them to be done professionally and still had to track them down on my own. I think I should be refunded the prep amount plus the extra 50.00 to amend them when it was clearly Jackson Hewitt at fault. No more of my business unless this policy changes, very disappointed.

rblionel
March 4th, 2016 Huntsville, AL

Plz don't ever do Tax with Jackson Hewitt. Its a scam. They are a bunch of frauds who are after your hard earned money. I filed with them on early Feb 2016, still hasn't got a penny. When I talk to them they provide 4-5 different answers which is very confusing. We never know where is the main office and the higher authorities. The bank associated with them called "Republican bank' is a scam. They never talk to you. they only talk to their own staffs. When I called IRS, i found out that they already send the money, but my money is stuck in tha fraud Republican bank. This is the last time I am doing Tax with them.

Henry
March 4th, 2016 AL

think before you go to Jackson Hewitt next year they ripped me off $400 what about notifying the client that you could not get your texts within 7 dayswhich others that paid only $29 got it before 21 days and one who paid over $400 Goddard after that is such a rip off try contacting Jackson Hewitt but could not call back planning on suing them

debritrya
February 24th, 2016 Baltimore, MD

last year we use their service. it was bad because i believe they over charged and didn't do well for my deductible items.

eboni
February 24th, 2016 Laurel, MD

They company take out to much money and if you don't like that amount of what they giving you they charge a $39 minimum.

william angerson
February 4th, 2016 Scranton, PA

they made a ,istake on my tax return cannot get them to call me back and fix the problem the manager of the office keeps blowing me off

James Usher
June 4th, 2015 Cedar Rapids, IA

Very poor service, very poor support, mistakes were made. Wonder of wonders it wasn't "their " problem till I went to the main office then only after I.R.S started garnishment procedures that they acknowledged a mistake WAS made by the preparer, their solution was 56$ for a 2300$ mistake plus penalties, SO BEWARE WHEN YOU USE THIS SERVICE