FreeTaxUSA has been in business since 2001, giving them over 15 years of experience in the tax prep industry.  The company states they have helped file over 9,000,000 free tax returns with the IRS. FreeTaxUSA specializes in simple free federal returns, but they also have other great options for more complex tax situations.

#1 TurboTax chevron_right
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Federal Price
  • State Price
  • Supported Forms

FreeTaxUSA's greatest perk is that they have great price options for both Federal and State taxes. They even offer smaller benefits that help a customer's process. For example, they offer suggested deductions for standard and itemized deductions. To do this, you answer simple questions with FreeTaxUSA to automatically find new deductions. They also provide the following securities: TRUSTe, SecurityMetrics, Norton, and SSL.

Federal Price

FreeTaxUSA's Free Edition is completely free of charge. With this product, people can easily file taxes directly with the IRS. What's also nice about this plan is that it comes with the fastest refund when people go through free e-file and direct deposit. The Deluxe Edition is an affordable way to get a product that not only has all of the benefits of the Free Edition product, but also includes audit assistance, live chat support, and unlimited amended returns. The price for this product is $6.99.

State Price

With FreeTaxUSA's Free Edition product, people can easily file taxes directly with the IRS. Similar to the Federal option, it comes with the fastest refund when people go through free e-file and direct deposit. The Free Edition for state costs $12.95. The Deluxe Edition offers the same features as the Deluxe version in the Federal plans. The state price for this product is $12.95.

Supported Forms

The list of supported forms offered by FreeTaxUSA is very comprehensive and even the most complex tax issues can be addressed with these options. Even though the company doesn't include all possible forms, this covers a majority of the most popular ones. Some of the forms U.S. residents can access for free include:

• 1040, 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040Z
  • Schedule A, B, C, D, E, EIC, F, and more
  • Form 1099-A, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-DIV, and more
  • Form W2
  • Unemployment
  • Self-employment Income

The greatest benefit to FreeTaxUSA is the company's focus on free federal filings. FreeTaxUSA has helped millions of people file their federal returns completely free. The company also provides a lot of form options and gives automatic prompts for deductions throughout the filing process. These are great features that really help the client!

The Bad

• Accuracy Guarantee
  • No Audit Protection
  • Data Import
  • Lack of Customer Support

FreeTaxUSA has free simple tax filing and other positive features to their service, but they do have drawbacks. The main drawback that brings the most concern is that FreeTaxUSA doesn't have a way to talk with a person while filing. You can contact the company via email or your online account, but you can't actually talk with a person.

Accuracy Guarantee

Even though FreeTaxUSA says they have a 100% Accuracy Guarantee for their federal tax filing, it does not protect against user error.

No Audit Protection

FreeTaxUSA doesn't offer audit protection or alerts for missing data to their clients.

Data Import

FreeTaxUSA's software does not have an import feature, meaning clients have to enter all data manually.

Lack of Customer Support

FreeTaxUSA does not have a phone number for clients to contact customer service. You can only contact FreeTaxUSA via email, live chat, or social media if you have questions. You can reach out to FreeTaxUSA via the following ways:

The Bottom Line

FreeTaxUSA has a large amount of options for clients and provides a free simple tax return. In addition, their software automatically suggests deductions to clients during the filing process, which is extremely helpful. However, the company doesn't have audit protection, clients have to manually enter all of their data, and their customer support is lacking phone service. FreeTaxUSA doesn't have a phone number to contact to ask questions while filing, which is very important. Overall, FreeTaxUSA has some great features but if you don't have a deep knowledge about tax prep, then this may not be the best company for you, as they don't have many options to help you through the process.

3.7

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I've been using FreeTaxUSA for the past 3 years now, and it wasn't until this year that I felt like I was getting ripped off. My refund was almost as much as it cost me to pay for my taxes to be completed. I think there are a lot of questions that are not asked. However, if you want something done and have it done quickly, this is definitely the way to go!

Hannah Judd
May 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I like that they are more transparent than other services with their fees - like, they don't charge extra fees for every random additional form you have to fill out that really shouldn't be that hard (and I know, because I'm a CPA). I also like that you don't have to pay extra for customer service. I did find this year that I had to make some edits myself because I didn't agree with how some of the numbers were flowing through, but overall it worked well and I plan to continue to use them.

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I had a horrible experience with FreeTaxUSA a number of years ago. The overpriced service also came with the additional price of mistakes by the preparer that had to be corrected the following year. I would never recommend them to anyone looking for tax help!

Tim Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have been using FreeTaxUSA for the last several years. They store my basic information from previous years which makes tax filing quicker. They have a great UI and wizard to guide you along the process. I have no reason to change something that is not broken. The pricing is reasonable as well. Great value for what you get. I recommend this company often.

Zack
February 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I wont go to anyone else for tax related issues. The website walks you through step by step of how to file your taxes for both Federal and State income. Throughout the process they give you helping hints and suggestions on the best way for you to get the largest refund possible. They only charge a small fee for your State return, which usually can be covered by your refund easily.

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Overpriced! I used Free Tax USA one time and won't make the same mistake again. I could have done a better job myself. I wouldn't recommend to anyone!

Kent
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Used the service to do the taxes for me kids. I found it to be easy and cost effective.

Eric Learo
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I used this site once to file a simple tax return. I have no complaints with the program or service. It seems like a great place to go if you have a simple tax return and about 20 minutes to spare.

Lynn White
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Have used them for years. Easy to use. Unless you have complex returns and are not good at reading directions, this is perfect. Super low-cost for state returns, free federal. Paid to have taxes done one year and didn't get any more back than I'd have gotten doing it myself (I went through it). Tried Turbo Tax once, too. Wasn't any better unless you're really scared of missing something. Went right back to FreeTax.

James Nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

I've been using FTUSA for years. The system is extremely user friendly and efficient. Explanations and tutorials are valuable for less tax-savvy folks. Highly recommended!

Roger Svensson
July 19th, 2018 Santa Barbara, CA DETAILS

Schedule D for Ca. Tax preparation doesn't allow adjustments so your gains & losses are not accurate. Also this problem gets worst since often times the capital loss carryover for state of Ca. is different than the Fed. & you cannot show it on their software. They recommend using "another" company to do your Ca. state taxes which means you will have to do your federal over again with that "other" company. It is a nightmare!

Nancy Morales
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

My experience with Free Tax USA was easy to use. I was leery of not using anything other than the big name tax prepare but I'm glad I have Free Tax USA a try. They made it easy to file previous year tax returns as well.

Shelene Cooley
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Super easy to use. Even with no tax or business background this software is simple to navigate. Will you again.

Ryan
April 9th, 2018 Perryville, MO DETAILS

Fast straight forward online tax filling. Federal filing was free and only $12.95 for the State filing. I have used other apps in the past and seems comparable to them at less cost.

Marilyn Bauer
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

I have used them for years. Easy site, no problems.

Nana268
March 22nd, 2018 Gainesville, FL

I have a very in-depth knowledge of the tax code and therefore I used to prepare my federal and state taxes manually without the assistance of software but since some states penalize taxpayers for filing a paper return i switched over to online filing a few years ago. I’m just speaking for myself but if you are like me who has to file multiple forms like Forms 1098T, 2441, Etc and Schedules A, B, D, E etc this software is the best one so far. My family’s income is too high to get free online preparation in most sites. When they advertise it for free they start charging you once you start adding complicated Forms. I like that this site supports all Forms for free and the State return is a flat low fee. The questions the system asks to help prepare the tax return are also very well asked. Some softwares ask questions that may be confusing for the regular taxpayer which causes them to incorrectly file their tax return. I would overall say that freetaxusa has been great for me because I refuse to pay high amounts of money to prepare a state tax return when I know how to do it myself. For those taxpayers who blame the software for mistakes I’m sorry but the IRS doesn’t care about the system you used or if you paid for tax protection from the software company. When we sign our tax return electronically or by paper it clearly indicates that underneath penalty of perjury we are signing to a correctly filed tax return and no matter what the mistake is unfortunately it falls on us. So just thoroughly review the questions and your tax return before filing it. Otherwise use another program that will hold your hand or have a live customer service rep who will assist you in answering the tougher questions.

donald crews
March 12th, 2018 Reeds Spring, MO DETAILS

In general it provides a quality service.

Homer R Turner
February 26th, 2018 Monroe, NC DETAILS

User friendly. Easy entry information.pop ups to answer specific questions.

Courtney Mcmillan
February 26th, 2018 Canton, OH DETAILS

Fed tax is free, state is 12.95. Took 20 minutes to complete and rec'd my refunds in 10 days.

Tim
February 26th, 2018 Maple Heights, OH DETAILS

I've been with this site for several years and it NEVER fails me

Tim
February 26th, 2018 Maple Heights, OH DETAILS

I've been with this site for several years and it NEVER fails me

Janet Dragoo
February 21st, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Ease of use of the website and questions

Sanovia Reynolds-Parks
February 15th, 2018 Richton Park, IL DETAILS

I've been preparing taxes using this software for at least 10 years or more. Very user friendly in its design as each page is clearly explained and walks us through each step. The ability to save, print and send as a pdf to my clients makes my job so much easier than by hand. Great product, each year the updates get better and better. Thank You.

ANGELA HARRIS
January 18th, 2018 Cordova, TN DETAILS

If you go through the IRS.GOV website all forms are free even state. The I.R.S. has put protections in place for the software listed in IRSfreeefile to safeguard your information.

DC
January 8th, 2018 Warner Robins, GA DETAILS

I've used FreeTaxUSA for 7 year now without a hitch. I've gone through several "life changing" events that impacted my filing status, and FTUSA was able to adjust for theses changes and guide me through my new tax filing status. There is an "i" icon for more information for each entry if you need more explanations and examples of an entry. There's a detailed FAQ and direct links to the IRS webpage - (the specific page you may need) if you want specific information regarding a specific entry straight from the IRS. What I really love is that throughout the year, you will get several (maybe 1 a month or every 2 months) email reminders of things you could be doing throughout the year to save taxes or to be better prepared for the upcoming filing season. These email reminders are helpful and are included in the free version (except for paying for the state filing), which is what I use. I also like the reminders of tax law changes or changes that may occur to your age change. It's like having a personal tax assistant. You can download a digital copy of your tax return or print a copy straight from the website. All of my family now uses FreeTaxUSA, going on 10 years this next filing season. None of us have had any problems. (And my daughter travels and works around the world for foreign companies, and she' s not had an issue filing with multiple states and incomes from various countries.) I love that this program is AD FREE! Concise and easy to use. No distractors embedded in the webpage design. Large print and boxes to complete. I especially love all the "safety" steps you process through in the billing portion at the end before you click "submit." In other words, there is NO way you can accidently click submit of your return until you are ready, too. No matter your experience using online e-filing, feel confident using FreeTaxUSA.

Patrick
December 15th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

The software walks you through the process of your taxes. It does not feel commercialized (there are no ads or things trying to sell you). They cut out all the bs. Everything is really subtle. It is a great service.

Luke B
April 17th, 2017

NUMBER ONE reason why I'd use FreeTaxUSA again: It is totally free for federal returns, and $12.95 for state. You can't beat that. Very easy to use!

Sir Athens
March 28th, 2017 Lynbrook, NY

Hello. I AM a REAL Person and here is my review of FreeTaxUSA.com: I spent a few days trying to select the right Online Tax Preparer. Boy! I wanted to make sure I made the right decision in my selection. I had my taxes done last year at a volunteer site but this year decided to do it on my own. I selected this company FreeTaxUSA earlier today - - and I am Very Glad I did. Before choosing FreeTaxUsa, I opened an account with another Big Named Brand but deleted my account before I went further. What turned me off is that the software at the other company insisted I was Married (which I am not) and I was NOT able to change my filing status to "Single"! The program would NOT allow me to change it . . . Can you imagine??? I felt Trapped in their system. Anyway, I LOVE FREETAXUSA and filing online was F-R-E-E for both my Federal and State returns (based on their criteria) AND I went to their site via www.irs.gov - - which is an important step in this whole process. Even If I had to PAY to have my taxes done at FTU I would have based on the following: 1. The company held my hand throughout the process. They guided me slow and carefully. Yes, it took a while to get the process completed BUT it was worth it cause shortly thereafter I received CONFIRMATION via e-mail that the IRS ACCEPTED my return - - It was That Fast! 2. FreeTaxUSA.com provided me with deductions I didn't even know existed. The website even found that I was eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC)! 3. I like the way the company ensured that I was the person I claimed I was - - they vetted me SO good. They made sure that I was not trying to commit any type of Identity theft fraud. I Like the security measures they have in place - - I like it a lot - - especially with so much hacking and fraud going on! 4. I RECEIVED the biggest Refund in my Life . . . I still cannot Believe - - and I am 60 years of age!!! INDEED! I am going to hold on to FREETaxUSA.com to do all of my income taxes in the years to come and I will be Recommending Their Services to Others!!! I am just awaiting word that my State Income tax Return has also been approved! . . . Until Next Year . . . I Can't wait to see you guys AGAIN! Thank You, FreeTAXUSA.com RG Eastern Seaboard of the United States of America

David Way
March 27th, 2017 Portland, OR

They let you do past year returns easily enough. No issues on a fairly simple return.

Jehanzeb Zafar
March 14th, 2017

Pathetic company. Don't use their software. I spent hours preparing a federal and state return. At the time of payment, I saw my card got declined. I checked with bank and they confirmed there was no attempt from merchant and therefore error is on merchant's end. Then I tried four more credit cards from different banks on two different machines, it didn't work. I contacted support and was surprised and upset to see their answer: "I apologize, at this time we cannot determine why your credit card will not authorize. If you wish to file a tax return, you will need to find another service to do so. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience." Not only they were unable to help, they posed as if error was due to my credit card when the problem is in their portal. Now they suggested me to spend all that time again using another software. Instead of bypassing the payment requirement for me and letting me file, they are sending me to find some other software????? That's absurd.

Nina Davis
February 17th, 2017 Hattiesburg, MS

Have used FREE TAX USA for 7 years. No problem until this year. Got Return Adjustment Notice from my state. The amounts recorded for state wages and withholding tax was doubled. I know I did not enter those amounts. Have never made that kind of money with my company. Have yet to get return call from customer service. GOOD BYE FREE TAX. Would rather pay than end up with a big surprise!

Siddharth Jain
January 19th, 2017 Birmingham, AL

I received a letter from IRS a year after filing taxes through freetaxusa.com that i still owe money becuase I received extra education credits that year. Thanks to freetaxusa unclear instructions. Now I owe $660. Never using that website again.

Elaine Reney
January 4th, 2017

I used FreeTax USA online filing last year for taxes. Federal was fine but when it carries my info over to my State if Calif return, the info was incorrect. Unfortunately I didn't see it this way, and filed. Even though I got my Fed return, State delayed for 4 months and I didn't get my EITC credit.I contacted customer service about this issue with their program, and all I got was letters , explaining they fixed issues, and how programs have bugs until told about......A bunch of no good people that wouldn't help me even amend....When I tried to go back into my account to amend state, there program stated "it could not recognize my personal info"... Now in still trying to gain access to amend last year's taxes....

Debra Stowell
June 13th, 2016 Powell, WY

This must be an out of date review as this year you are able to import over your tax return from other tax providers (turbo....) I helped a friend switch over and it was easy to import her data. They also provide live chat this year. I have been a customer since 2007 or 2008 and have always been happy with my return. I have complicated taxes and would have to pay much more elsewhere.

Gail Marshall
May 5th, 2016 Medina, OH

I need a copy of my 2015 federal tax return.......i have tried everything to retrieve.....with no luck....in case you ask.....yes i have my username and password........and it continues to tell me that I am not correct......when I know that I am correct.......so your customer service really needs some fine tuning done to help with this type of problem.....and not 24 or 48 hours later....thank you

William Noyes
March 4th, 2016 West Covina, CA

Assuming not one mistake is made you may pass\ If one miss typed error is found,assistance is refused. Spend a few bucks more and have a PRO do your taxes. There is NO help at this place! William Noyes

Carlos Diaz
February 24th, 2016 Springfield, IL

pretty much the best tax software i have used, and super easy.

Andy
February 24th, 2016 Colorado Springs, CO

Have used FTUSA for the last 4 years. Never really had any issues, even with moving for a job, buying a house, charity donations. It was all very simple. But one things has always confused me..how i can put the SAME exact information into multiple sites, yes..I'm the type of guy who will try multiple sites each year to see the results. Every year, Free tax ends up getting me more of a refund or says i owe less. Something might be off, but I promise..the numbers are exactly the same that i put in HR and Turbo. Never got an audit before. It is very easy to use.

peanutlee 33
February 4th, 2016 Grand Rapids, MI

Filed my 2012, 2013 & 2014 returns without a hitch, including my student education refund & tuition credits. Not so much with the 2015. Once I reached that section, the automated prompts told me I was limited to a $1000, and would not allow me to itemize from my 1099 & 1098s, even though there was an option to change/edit new information. Complete ripoff. I knew my education credits were more than $1000, but Freetax changed things this year. They've lost a customer. Went over to IRS Freefile, and got it all done in less 30 minutes....and with my itemized school 1099s.

Sam
January 29th, 2016 Omaha, NE

I would recommend freetaxusa.com to anyone, I have never had a problem filling my taxes.

Lissa
January 27th, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

Really good website for filing taxes! Also their customer service and billing department were really helpful and fast when handling our refund. We couldn't use their website because we were missing some info. This year and they were kind and refundef our money. Would totally recommend.

DAVID J
January 6th, 2016 Chicago, IL

Seems to have similar interface as taxactonline which no longer offers free returns if you need slightly more complicated forms such as schedule E or HSA deduction. I could not find a miscalculation or error as I ran a couple of tax situations through this software. However as with all 'free' yax softwares you need a good basic understanding of taxes. I suggest only more sophisticated users consider this free service.

rachel
June 22nd, 2015 Staten Island, NY

i will pay extra and use turbo tax. free tax usa had gotten me in trouble with the irs to where i owed them almost $700. turns out i do not owe them anything. also i did my boyfriends taxes using free tax usa and the irs rejected his tax return. i now how to figure out the ends and outs to fix this crap. this has never happened before when i used turbo tax. i do NOT recommend free tax usa. stay away.

Patrick
April 6th, 2015 Worcester, MA

It does all what a simple filer needed.