Credible verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

9.1

Credible is a student loan company that was founded in San Francisco in 2012 by CEO and Australian native, Stephen Dash. The idea for Credible sprouted from Dash's response to American student debt and how much of a toll it takes on students. Credible strives to provide students multiple lenders and rates to help them choose their financial future.

The Good

• Multiple Lenders
  • Low APR Rates
  • Flexible Degree Coverage

Multiple Lenders

Credible offers borrowers a wide range of lenders to consider. With multiple lenders, borrowers are able to research which lender gives them the best loan for their situation. This feature allows borrowers to make their own decisions regarding their loans and provide knowledge of various lenders that are available to them. Because each lender is different, borrowers can choose between fixed rates, variable rates, deferred repayment, and interest-only repayment options.

Low APR Rates

APR rates are definitely something to consider when looking into student loans. Credible claims to provide borrowers with fixed rates as low as 4.7% and variable rates as low as 2.93%. These rates are considerably lower than those of other student loan companies.

Flexible Degree Coverage

Credible claims to finance almost any degree out there. This is an advantage because their flexibility is due to their multiple lenders option. There are few boundaries that accompany Credible's student loan variety.

Check Rates

The Bad

• Time in Business
  • Prequalification Process
  • No Guaranteed Lender Offer

Time in Business

Due to Credible’s relative inexperience in the student loans industry, more time is required before it can be considered totally reliable. This is not to say that Credible is a bad company; however, in such a competitive and rapidly evolving industry, the company needs time to establish a proven track record of success.

Prequalification Process

In order for borrowers to start their search for a lender, they must complete the prequalification process first. When you receive prequalified rates, there is no definite guarantee that those are the rates that will be used. Credible’s website states that lenders “reserve the right to change or withdraw prequalified rate at any time.” This may present a sense of insecurity to borrowers who expect these exact rates.

No Guaranteed Lender Offer

Credible does not guarantee that a borrower will receive an offer from a lender. Although they pride themselves on giving borrowers low rates, they really leave the process in the hands of the lenders themselves. This can present a problem to the borrower who doesn’t receive an offer from a lender as the borrower might not be able to move forward without an offer.

The Bottom Line

Credible provides borrowers with a variety of student loan options that allows borrowers to have major flexibility. They also present considerably low fixed and variable APR rates which helps borrowers get the financial plan they need to fit their situation. However, they haven't been in business long enough to acquire solid reliability, their prequalification process lacks clarity, and borrowers are not guaranteed an offer from a lender. Overall, they present borrowers with good options that are worth looking into.

Jalen Elston

December 12th, 2017 Memphis, TN

From the time I decided to use Credible, I experienced professional friendly service. I was afraid that I be put through a lot of distress, but everything was easy, and went smooth. I really appreciated your patience in my time of need. Thank you.

John G. Capilli

September 26th, 2017 Danbury, CT

Very Professional Experience. There were some minor fulfillment issues, but overall very positive.

Shannon Shanebrook

August 25th, 2017 Southfield, MI

Credible was very helpful with my daughter's student loan process. I would definitely recommend.

Mary Christensen

August 23rd, 2017

Credible was very helpful pointing us in the right direction for a student loan. I thought the service ended there once I applied: however, a follow up call asking how things were proceeding and if I needed any help was received several days after applying for the loan. The girl I spoke with was very nice and told me to call if I needed any help or had any questions. I'd use the website again.

Edward L Dougherty

August 18th, 2017 Phoenixville, PA

Customer service and complete fulfillment with great results. Excellent, thank you.

Young Choi

August 11th, 2017 Laurel, MD

Easy to submit the application and every process could be done through online.

Heather Asher

August 9th, 2017

Credible agents were very helpful getting me the information to completing my application with College Ave. The application was very easy to use and understand. Thank you for all your help!

Mike

August 6th, 2017 Prattville, AL

The private college loan process was made much easier by Credible.

ash

June 9th, 2017 Stillwater, OK

I found the site very easy to use, well organized, and when I had questions, I got a response really quickly. I used Credible mostly to compare loans and they made it easy to organized the different options by what was most important to me. It also made the transition for credible directly to the lender really simple. They sent reminders but not too often and everything went through pretty quickly. I'll likely use them to organize more in the future.

Christopher Dewitt

June 8th, 2017 Albany, NY

The customer service was wonderful, and I actually don't have anything to complain about! I'd recommend credible to anyone!