Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

verified
thumb_up Multiple Lenders
thumb_up Low APR Rates
thumb_up Flexible Degree Coverage

Credible is a student loan company that was founded in San Francisco in 2012 by CEO and Australian native, Stephen Dash. The idea for Credible sprouted from Dash's response to American student debt and how much of a toll it takes on students. Credible strives to provide students multiple lenders and rates to help them choose their financial future.

The Good

• Multiple Lenders
  • Low APR Rates
  • Flexible Degree Coverage

Multiple Lenders

Credible offers borrowers a wide range of lenders to consider. With multiple lenders, borrowers are able to research which lender gives them the best loan for their situation. This feature allows borrowers to make their own decisions regarding their loans and provide knowledge of various lenders that are available to them. Because each lender is different, borrowers can choose between fixed rates, variable rates, deferred repayment, and interest-only repayment options.

Low APR Rates

APR rates are definitely something to consider when looking into student loans. Credible claims to provide borrowers with fixed rates as low as 4.7% and variable rates as low as 2.93%. These rates are considerably lower than those of other student loan companies.

Flexible Degree Coverage

Credible claims to finance almost any degree out there. This is an advantage because their flexibility is due to their multiple lenders option. There are few boundaries that accompany Credible's student loan variety.

Check Rates

The Bad

• Time in Business
  • Prequalification Process
  • No Guaranteed Lender Offer

Time in Business

Due to Credible’s relative inexperience in the student loans industry, more time is required before it can be considered totally reliable. This is not to say that Credible is a bad company; however, in such a competitive and rapidly evolving industry, the company needs time to establish a proven track record of success.

Prequalification Process

In order for borrowers to start their search for a lender, they must complete the prequalification process first. When you receive prequalified rates, there is no definite guarantee that those are the rates that will be used. Credible’s website states that lenders “reserve the right to change or withdraw prequalified rate at any time.” This may present a sense of insecurity to borrowers who expect these exact rates.

No Guaranteed Lender Offer

Credible does not guarantee that a borrower will receive an offer from a lender. Although they pride themselves on giving borrowers low rates, they really leave the process in the hands of the lenders themselves. This can present a problem to the borrower who doesn’t receive an offer from a lender as the borrower might not be able to move forward without an offer.

The Bottom Line

Credible provides borrowers with a variety of student loan options that allows borrowers to have major flexibility. They also present considerably low fixed and variable APR rates which helps borrowers get the financial plan they need to fit their situation. However, they haven't been in business long enough to acquire solid reliability, their prequalification process lacks clarity, and borrowers are not guaranteed an offer from a lender. Overall, they present borrowers with good options that are worth looking into.

4.8

Donna
August 22nd, 2018 Pella, IA

Easy to use website. Very helpful and friendly when I called in with questions.

Lorine Tschopp
August 20th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA

So glad I saw the advertisement before I sighed a loan somewhere else. Credible saved me a lot of money. Extremely easy to use & gave several options

Elizabeth Massa
August 14th, 2018 Mansfield, OH

Credible truly helped us to compare student loan options in a timely and concise manner. College financing made much easier with this site!

Stanley Zabielski
August 10th, 2018 Chicago, IL

Very simple experience. Credible gives you all the information you need to make a decision on what loan suits your needs. If you have any questions their customer service team will answer and guide you through the process. I high recommend Credible for your financial needs.

Vicky Davis
July 18th, 2018 Schofield, WI

The process was very easy and fast. I also got the best rate.

Roxanne B
July 6th, 2018 Litchfield Park, AZ

I am currently applying, for the 8th time, for student loans with one of my children. In the past I have filled out multiple applications to price shop for the best rate. This is the first year I used Credible and found them to a breeze! Next year, I will just fill out their form and let them do the rate shopping.

Alissa Schleich
July 2nd, 2018 Cary, NC

Credible made it easy to secure a college loan that best met our needs. They followed up to make sure everything was on track.

Erin Williams
May 18th, 2018 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

It was nice having options listed and explained in a clear way. It was nice knowing when they would actually check my credit score. I recommended it to several people already.

Pete Francis
April 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

The lender’s web site and loan process was unnecessarily complex, confusing, and poorly designed. However, Credible’s staff was prompt, friendly, and efficient in helping me through the process, including facilitating multiple 3-party teleconferences to straighten things out.

Adam Gooch
March 2nd, 2018 Gardendale, AL

Credible was able to give us much more student loan options than we would have been able to find on our own. The comparison process was extremely easy to use and helped us find the absolute best rate and terms.

Lindsay Anderson
February 9th, 2018 Los Molinos, CA DETAILS

I ended up getting half the interest rate versus when I applied through Sallie Mae

Meghan McNeill
February 2nd, 2018 Oxford, MS

User friendly, fastest way to find the best rates on student loans.

jill Williams
January 31st, 2018 Maplewood, NJ

Excellent, professional, they helped me navigate through the process and explained all the steps necessary to obtain best loan for my son.

Jalen Elston
December 13th, 2017 Memphis, TN

From the time I decided to use Credible, I experienced professional friendly service. I was afraid that I be put through a lot of distress, but everything was easy, and went smooth. I really appreciated your patience in my time of need. Thank you.

John G. Capilli
September 29th, 2017 Danbury, CT

Very Professional Experience. There were some minor fulfillment issues, but overall very positive.

Shannon Shanebrook
August 25th, 2017 Southfield, MI

Credible was very helpful with my daughter's student loan process. I would definitely recommend.

Mary Christensen
August 24th, 2017

Credible was very helpful pointing us in the right direction for a student loan. I thought the service ended there once I applied: however, a follow up call asking how things were proceeding and if I needed any help was received several days after applying for the loan. The girl I spoke with was very nice and told me to call if I needed any help or had any questions. I'd use the website again.

Edward L Dougherty
August 21st, 2017 Phoenixville, PA

Customer service and complete fulfillment with great results. Excellent, thank you.

Young Choi
August 11th, 2017 Laurel, MD

Easy to submit the application and every process could be done through online.

Heather Asher
August 9th, 2017

Credible agents were very helpful getting me the information to completing my application with College Ave. The application was very easy to use and understand. Thank you for all your help!

Mike
August 7th, 2017 Prattville, AL

The private college loan process was made much easier by Credible.

ash
June 12th, 2017 Stillwater, OK

I found the site very easy to use, well organized, and when I had questions, I got a response really quickly. I used Credible mostly to compare loans and they made it easy to organized the different options by what was most important to me. It also made the transition for credible directly to the lender really simple. They sent reminders but not too often and everything went through pretty quickly. I'll likely use them to organize more in the future.

Christopher Dewitt
June 8th, 2017 Albany, NY

The customer service was wonderful, and I actually don't have anything to complain about! I'd recommend credible to anyone!