Vudu is an online movie and TV streaming service owned by Walmart and has been around for over ten years. Its main business stems from digital streaming, providing even more entertainment options to consumers. Vudu is compatible with a service called UltraViolet, a service for storing and accessing digital copies of DVDs. Vudu is an on-demand subscription-free video streaming service.

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• No Monthly Subscription
  • Free Content
  • Watch New Releases
  • Easily Save Your Movies Online
  • Watch From Anywhere

No Monthly Subscription

With Vudu, you only pay for what you watch. There are no subscriptions and no late fees. You can choose which movies to rent or buy and also have the option of buying TV series by the episode or by the season. This absence of a monthly subscription is attractive to those who only want to watch a few things and don't feel like they would get their money's worth out of a monthly subscription.

Free Content

Vudu offers a library of free content that you can watch without an account. Some titles stay free, and others are swapped each week. These TV shows and films are supported by short ads throughout. However, the quality is good and the ads are minimal. All paid streaming through Vudu is ad free.

Watch New Releases

Vudu claims movies will be available the same day they are released on DVD. This is a huge advantage over Netflix, at which you have to wait 28 days after a movie is released before it's available. Vudu boasts a large media library of over 15,000 movies and 2,000 TV series. Movies are available to rent in standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) options such as HDX and UHD. For some movie options, SD and HD are the same price, but for most the HD version is a dollar more.

Easily Save Your Movies Online

Vudu is now compliant with UltraViolet, meaning any DVDs or Blu-ray discs cleared by studios for digital distribution can be uploaded to the cloud and watched through Vudu. This makes a digital copy of your movie that you can watch from anywhere and keep for forever. This service gives you an easy way to keep your collection of movies digitally without taking up storage space on your computer and without the fear that your DVDs or Blu-rays will get scratched or broken. When you buy a movie through Vudu, it gives you a digital copy.

Watch From Anywhere

You can access your digital movie collection from any screen or device with internet. Some of the places you can watch Vudu movies and shows include: smart TVs, internet-connected Blu-ray players, game consoles, streaming devices (like Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast), Nvidia Shield, iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows 10 devices. Vudu also has a mobile app that receives high ratings in the app store.

The Bad

• Expensive Rental Prices
  • Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

Expensive Rental Prices

Services like Netflix or HuluPlus cost only $7.99 per month for unlimited viewing while just one movie on Vudu could cost you $4.99, and a TV episode will run you a couple dollars. If you want to just watch one film, you can buy it from other websites. Vudu does not provide rental options for live TV like sports or news.

Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

As we mentioned before, you can upload any UltraViolet movies you've purchased to Vudu. However, Vudu will charge you for each movie that you upload (between $2-$5).

The Bottom Line

If you are watching Vudu like you would use an unlimited streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, it will get pretty pricey. However, if you want to use vudu to purchase a few select movies or films, it could be a perfect video streaming option for you. Many only use Vudu for its free library of content.

With Vudu, you get access to a wide selection of movies and TV shows, and most important of all, you get them as fast as possible. There is no contract or subscription with Vudu, so if you don't like what you are getting, then you can stop and find another company to stream with. Overall, we recommend considering the top rated companies before making a final decision.

For more information, check out our Vudu reviews below from customers who have used the product.

3.9

Lily
November 19th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Vudu has so many different movies it’s phenomena.There is so many different choices it’s crazy.Ilove using it for when isomer want tv show I just want a movie.

Nathan D.
November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS

Vudu is a good cheap streaming service if you are looking to stream some hard to find vintage TV shows and some 80's/90's movies. They have some great throwback Horror titles.

Private Lender
November 8th, 2019

Bait and switch movie list. Offers certain videos FREE WITH COMMERCIALS, but when I got there, despite the movie that was listed as free with commercials in both my Roku search AND Vudu's search/movie lineup--when I clicked on the movie to watch it, I was only offered the option of buy or rent, NO free view free with commercials. I despise such tactics and despite their having some movies actually free with commercials, because they advertised the ONE I wanted to watch (which brought me TO THEIR CHANNEL) as free with commercials, but was NOT--I removed Vudu from my channel lineup and will not give them another chance. Don't bait and switch me!

Bethany Simko
October 21st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Vudu is up and coming but they don’t have the best selection of movies for a very good price

Dylan Curtis
October 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Before we moved over to Google Play this is the service we used to put our digital movie copies so they were accessible wherever we went.

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We use Vudu mostly for streaming movies and TV series. They have a decent variety. It does seem to buffer at times and will sometimes log us out, but overall it is a mostly reliable service.

Tony Gibson
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Vudu. I am a movie fanatic so I always buy the dvd with the digital code so I can have my own collection online all the time. I love that I can get to my movies in a hotel room or anywhere else. It even allows me to add existing movies to the collection for a small fee. I will keep using it and adding to it.

Vincent Leuzze
October 8th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

If I rent a movie I usually rent it on vudu. Vudu has a wide selection of movies in good quality with very affordable prices

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

Vudu has been an excellent movie provider. Especially with T-mobile Tuesday deals, I enjoy getting cheap movies, and even free movies to watch and stream.

erin
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Digital storage of all my movies yes yes yes!! easily able to get all of movies is honestly the best thing!! i love having access to it all times it makes my life so much better.

Don Boren
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I didn't like that the advertisements were very repetitive. They had the same commercials at every break

Cynthia Carman
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Vudu! We have been using it for 10 years now and it has never failed us! It is so easy to buy and watch movies, my family uses it on a daily basis.

Jaime
October 1st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love being able to watch the movies I buy digital copies of from my device anytime I want. I especially love Vudu's connection with my Wal-Mart account, so anytime I buy a DVD that comes with a digital copy at Wal-Mart, it is automatically added to my Vudu account. It makes it so easy on my end! I love this service.

Charlie
September 30th, 2019 Westminster, MD

What good is a great movie when it is unable to continue to stream. Everytime a commercial hits. The movie or tv show is unable to return. I have to retry several times. Vudu is disappointing.

Miles Strother
September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I've only used Vudu for purchasing digital movies, and it's selection does not disappoint. Most movies are pretty cheap, and deals can be found online, making it a great source for owning online movies.

Sage Robertson
August 5th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Vudu is great! I love being able to watch my favorite movies everywhere and anywhere. Vudu is the most convenient streaming service.

Tracy Womack
July 29th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I LOVE THAT YOU HAVE FREE MOVIES ON VUDU! There's always good movies that other streaming services don't offer. It's also nice that I can download movies onto my phone and watch them while I'm offline.

Keeli Hansen
July 29th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Vudu has all the movies you would want to watch. It’s super easy and it doesn’t put viruses on your devise

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love how with Vudu you can have all your digital movies in one secure place. It makes streaming really easy.

Gayle
July 3rd, 2019 Waco, TX

First, many thanks for the free movies. My budget is limited and cable is not an option. The only suggestion I have is that Vudu offer a "search field" to key in movie names so that they come up right away. It takes much too long to locate the movie you want.

Connor
June 25th, 2019 DETAILS

For the first four years of using Vudu I loved it just knew that no matter where I go I can watch my movies that I have paid for. Today was a sad day because now I have to give them a 1 star and I wish I could give them zero. My husband is serving in the United States Navy and we were just moved to Guam. It is not stated anywhere that if you are still in the US but not main land that your rights to your own movies are gone. I'm very upset about this and hope that Vudu can either fix this problem or at least tell people that they are screwed while serving their country.

Lilly
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I love vudu! It’s so nice to be able to put your movies that you buy as an actual dvd online. So then we have both the dvd and have it online. 10/10 love vudu!

Rachel
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Typically Vudu has some of the best prices on the web. Their app could use a few updates though.

Sergio
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

No annoying money hungry ads. Just straightforward service that allows me to watch what I have due-fully paid for.

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

We love Vudu! My parents have it and all of us kids can log into it and add our movies and use their movies as well. It’s a great way to share all of our movies.

Emily Walker
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love that we can store all our online movies here but there are also lots of options that we can buy and watch for free.

Jeremy
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Great movies, love having digital copies of movies that I have purchased. Lots of movies for rent.

Taylor Walker
May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT

I love Vudu! I'm a bit of a movie fanatic and I own over 200 movies so for me, movies are a big deal and I love being able to buy a movie at Walmart and to be able to also get the digital copy as well and be able to watch it on the go.

Brittany Bray
May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

VUDU is the best!! I love I can search for a movie for my kids and have my account connected to it. Perfect!

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

I’m surprised more people don’t use this site. It isn’t the best streaming quality, but the fact that you can watch a movie for just a couple short ads is pretty cool. Give it a try!

Kathryn
May 16th, 2019 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

We have really enjoyed VUDU. It has allowed us to consolidate our movie collection that was in the cloud, all into one place. Add to that the ease of taking your collection with you when you travel with a ROKU stick and you are all set. To date, have only stayed at one resort where the whole tv was boxed in and there was no access to use a ROKU. Vudu allows us to watch our tv shows and movies wherever we are. When there have been any issues, they have been very available to try to remedy them. The only issue we have had is some of the coding of genres and I don't think that is VUDU. but the studios who originate the codes. For example the newer Cinderella should show up under Family & Kids but it doesn't. I just wish Disney would get on board again with their services and allow the disc to digital conversion. We have so many Disney movies that are not in the cloud that our grandchildren would enjoy. That being said, I refuse to pay full price twice for a Disney movie.

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I enjoy using Vudu because it is extremely simple for me to use. I find the video content of my choice then I download it and then I have 24 hours to watch it. It is very simple and the selection of movies is high quality. When you sign up you get 3 rentals for 99 cents! Its awesome!

Dan
March 4th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT

Would give them zero if I could. I received a Vudu movie as a gift and I can't even redeem it unless I give them my credit card information. I don't feel comfortable giving my credit card information to a company who has already had their system breached before. I would much rather just buy gift cards and used those but after repeated emails with Vudu customer support there was nothing they could do for me.

Christian
February 26th, 2019 Folsom, CA DETAILS

Vudu are lying thieves that won't do anything to help you.I have over 300 movies.Two of my movies disappeared.They won't honor and replace my missing movies. Don't risk losing your money with them. I was a loyal fan of them and profitable customer.Not any more. You've been warned

MSloan
February 26th, 2019 Madera, CA DETAILS

Vudu is the worst for streaming movies. It's always stopping and can't enjoy a movie. If a movie is 2 hrs it takes you 4.5 hours to watch it. My signal is good and no reason can my internet find any issues. Will not be renting any more movies from them.

Jason
February 20th, 2019 Harrisburg, PA DETAILS

I was double charged for one movie and and then charged for another. Never got the movies. I emailed customer service 10 times over the course of two months. they never resolved, called me a liar even though I screenshot my bank statement showing the proof. I eventually had to go through my bank for fraudulent charges and then Vudu cancelled my whole account basically making my account a 500 dollar lose for 18 dollars in charges. Beware, never buy or rent anything from them they will basically ignore you and be disrespectful. I only asked for a refund or the items I paid for.

Brainsmasher
February 19th, 2019 Hamler, OH DETAILS

Very large library of movies to watch for free. Great sales without leaving the house. Being able to download and watch anywhere on multiple devices is great.

Jenni Walker
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love having one place for all of my digital movies. I do think their rental rate is a little high, but they have a lot of sales on movies, and have a lot of great movies that are free with ads!

Erika Thorn
February 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

We buy many movies off of VUDU and I can’t complain. They run deals all the time which I really like. They download instantly and are ready to watch.

Debbie Aston
February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We have over 700 movies on vudu. We love vudu, it is very affordable and very user friendly. they have great customer service, my son bought some movies by accident and they took them off and refunded us the money no questions asked.

Oakley Rockwood
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I really like Vudu. I enjoy the amount of videos they have available and the ease of access. I can watch my movies anywhere and stay entertained when I need it.

Milton Fletcher
February 4th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Vudu streaming service with the options to also buy is a nice feature. The SD quality need some improvements.

Marie
February 4th, 2019 Heber, UT

Like having a place to put digital copies of my movies and that it has an app for my Roku.

Dan Colton
February 4th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Vudu! I have a ton of DVDs/BluRays, and I am trying to migrate everything to the cloud. Vudu lets me purchase digital copies of many of the videos I already own for less than I would have to pay to buy the video again. It's a great service!

Eddie
January 15th, 2019 Hermosa Beach, CA DETAILS

Email customer support is horrible!!!! Sent 3 messages and not even a courtesy response.

Shayla Hankins
January 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Vudu is amazing for both renting/buying movies and tv shows but also getting a digital version of the discs you already own by just putting in a simple code. Once you put in the code you can watch all your movies anywhere and that is amazing.

Dasha Directo
January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Vudu has a ton of recent movies. The quality of the movies are in HD, so the quality is always good.

Hailey Nilson
January 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I bought a movie through Vudu that was very difficult to find. The billing process was simple, and movie turned out in a great quality. I would definitely buy from them again.

Matt
January 2nd, 2019 Ripon, WI DETAILS

Incredibly disappointed. Automatically links your payment information from Walmart so when my 1 year old son was just clicking on our tv remote he purchased a rental of the movie. Asked for a refund and was told that they didn't do that. There are much better options out there than VUDU. Cannot recommend them in any way.

Anthony Gallicchio
December 21st, 2018 East Amherst, NY DETAILS

TERRIBLE!!!! I had over 500 movies. Now i dont. I was told on the phone theres nothing they can do. offered my $4.99. cool a free rental. Forget that. NEVER AGAIN!!!!