Vudu is an online movie and TV streaming service owned by Walmart and has been around for over ten years. Its main business stems from digital streaming, providing even more entertainment options to consumers. Vudu is compatible with a service called UltraViolet, a service for storing and accessing digital copies of DVDs. Vudu is an on-demand subscription-free video streaming service.

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• No Monthly Subscription
  • Free Content
  • Watch New Releases
  • Easily Save Your Movies Online
  • Watch From Anywhere

No Monthly Subscription

With Vudu, you only pay for what you watch. There are no subscriptions and no late fees. You can choose which movies to rent or buy and also have the option of buying TV series by the episode or by the season. This absence of a monthly subscription is attractive to those who only want to watch a few things and don't feel like they would get their money's worth out of a monthly subscription.

Free Content

Vudu offers a library of free content that you can watch without an account. Some titles stay free, and others are swapped each week. These TV shows and films are supported by short ads throughout. However, the quality is good and the ads are minimal. All paid streaming through Vudu is ad free.

Watch New Releases

Vudu claims movies will be available the same day they are released on DVD. This is a huge advantage over Netflix, at which you have to wait 28 days after a movie is released before it's available. Vudu boasts a large media library of over 15,000 movies and 2,000 TV series. Movies are available to rent in standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) options such as HDX and UHD. For some movie options, SD and HD are the same price, but for most the HD version is a dollar more.

Easily Save Your Movies Online

Vudu is now compliant with UltraViolet, meaning any DVDs or Blu-ray discs cleared by studios for digital distribution can be uploaded to the cloud and watched through Vudu. This makes a digital copy of your movie that you can watch from anywhere and keep for forever. This service gives you an easy way to keep your collection of movies digitally without taking up storage space on your computer and without the fear that your DVDs or Blu-rays will get scratched or broken. When you buy a movie through Vudu, it gives you a digital copy.

Watch From Anywhere

You can access your digital movie collection from any screen or device with internet. Some of the places you can watch Vudu movies and shows include: smart TVs, internet-connected Blu-ray players, game consoles, streaming devices (like Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast), Nvidia Shield, iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows 10 devices. Vudu also has a mobile app that receives high ratings in the app store.

The Bad

• Expensive Rental Prices
  • Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

Expensive Rental Prices

Services like Netflix or HuluPlus cost only $7.99 per month for unlimited viewing while just one movie on Vudu could cost you $4.99, and a TV episode will run you a couple dollars. If you want to just watch one film, you can buy it from other websites. Vudu does not provide rental options for live TV like sports or news.

Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

As we mentioned before, you can upload any UltraViolet movies you've purchased to Vudu. However, Vudu will charge you for each movie that you upload (between $2-$5).

The Bottom Line

If you are watching Vudu like you would use an unlimited streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, it will get pretty pricey. However, if you want to use vudu to purchase a few select movies or films, it could be a perfect video streaming option for you. Many only use Vudu for its free library of content.

With Vudu, you get access to a wide selection of movies and TV shows, and most important of all, you get them as fast as possible. There is no contract or subscription with Vudu, so if you don't like what you are getting, then you can stop and find another company to stream with. Overall, we recommend considering the top rated companies before making a final decision.

For more information, check out our Vudu reviews below from customers who have used the product.

3.9

Rakshanda

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

overall am quite satafied their sales are quite good streaming is very good

Alexander Johnson

July 13th, 2020 Burbank, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love vudu. Plenty of great horror which is my fave. I wish the ads weren’t there but it’s pretty good stuff. Interface needs work but it’s a good cheap or free option if you’re bored of Netflix or hulu

Jane M

May 18th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ

Since I have only used this service for "free" and gift selections I can't say about billing and payments, but, that said the content, format and ability to stream is very good! I would like the option back on the site to search for a specific price range ie: $1.99 or $.99 but all in all I like this site's movie/tv selection screen.

Valorie Mitchell

March 30th, 2020 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were watching a movie we had rented and halfway through the time expired and we had to rent it again. I think as long as you start the movie within the time you should be able to finish it.

Jose Lopez

March 22nd, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

it took me almost 2 hours to cancel my Vudu membership and it was horrible, first of all I could not understand what the person was saying on the other side of the phone and I gave him my credit card number hopefully my card doesn't gets any unauthorized charges on it, then after everything was done he gives me a number with a confirmation number to complete the transaction and it doesn't work this is joke. i'm very very unsatisfied with Vudo never again will I get a Vudo membership. For the second time, I'm sending you another notice that another company withdrew money from my account "again" just because I trusted some on the phone from your customer service that in order to cancel my subscription i needed to give him my card number and this is wrong I will never trust some one one the phone again learned my lesson.

Kogan Powell

March 18th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu is genius. I've never really liked the monthly plan because I rarely watch movies, but this way you can just choose what you want when you want AND...for most movies, you don't have to re-buy it if you already have it...you can just enter the code.

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

vudu is great! it gives a great selection of movies at a reasonable price, it also has a lot of movies I've never heard of

Keshun Rice

March 16th, 2020 Corona, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a problem streaming one time in the few years I have used Vudu. I like the quality of the movies I watch for the price they charge, which is about the same as everyone else (Amazon, Fandango, etc.). Recently, what I didn’t like, is I purchased Joker for $19.99 on Vudu. Approximately two weeks later, Joker went on sale on Vudu for $9.99 and they would not refund me the difference. I don’t feel like that’s good customer service. They responded that they don’t price match. Shame on them.

Josh Harold

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I dislike vudu compared to other services bc I have to buy each individual item. Other then that it works great and is easy to use.

Aidan Keogh

February 28th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu is THE channel for streaming movies and TV series. Great if you want new releases early (before in DVD in stores) or want to find an obscure movie that you haven't seen in ages. They have a decent free selection of movies and good picks for monthly deals. I buy 2-3 movies a month from the site.

Julie Taylor

February 23rd, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good shows. It is a nice way to stream movies and stuff. Especially when I don't have a DVD or Blue ray player with me. I love Vudu and that I can take movies with me wherever I go.

DeeDee G.

February 22nd, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Holy gosh this website is dang useful any movies you buy you can download and watch them on car trips.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

I have Vudu for my purchased digital copy movies, and I like being able to have all the movies in one spot. Access is easy and simple.

Audrey Mitchell

February 19th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vido is the best way to watch movies! They have movies on sale with good prices as well as an array of movies for a good price to either rent or purchase!

Florida Mom

February 17th, 2020 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a $40 credit to use through Vudu after I bought a Samsung tablet. I bought 1 movie and was saving the remaining balance to use for a movie coming out soon. I went into my account less than 2 months later and my $28 credit was gone. I called customer service and they said that my credit expired after 30 days. I did not read anywhere that my credit would expire in 30 days. So they did absolutely nothing to rectify the situation. I have spent money on movies with them since I have been a customer of theirs for several years. I will not give this company another cent. See ya Vudu!

Justin McMurtrey

February 16th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We store all of our movies on Vudu. It’s the best service out there. They also have great free movies available.

A’lea Richardson

February 7th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great movies for cheap or free. Love that you don’t need a subscription. A great app to download

Peter Miller

February 6th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For the second time now Vudu has dropped titles from 'My Movies'. These are movies which a higher price was paid for to obtain a digital copy which was redeemed with Vudu. The movies were listed in 'My Movies' and now they're, poof, gone. Vudu customer service responds to check my filters and a second response saying they're; "unable to locate" the missing movies which is the whole problem. Be forewarned, Vudu can and will just drop movies you payed for, ironically at Wal-Mart which own Vudu, redeemed and watched. Not only is this bad business it may violate consumer protection laws in some states. Use Vudu at your own risk and don't expect any satisfaction with them should an issue arise.

Madelyn

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family and I love Vudu! It has a great variety of movies, and I especially love the free movies (with ads) option.

Jesse Rice

January 17th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a good place to watch movies and you can buy movies from a store and put them on vudu and watch it on your phone

Zac Cannon

January 16th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have streamed and purchased movies from Vudu a few times. Being able to stream and save content on all digital devices is really easy. They have great deals sometimes and you can get great movies at a great low price; plus being able to stream on all devices makes it well worth it.

C Cole

January 11th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu customer service is the worst ever. If you have Vudu codes that fail, they will not research any check on the issuer or from the company that the title originates from. They fail to honor their own codes or even get titles wrong for the code you are issued. Trying to deal with their customer service is like talking to an empty hole in the ground, you get no where.

Jacob

December 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu is a pretty good deal for renting movies when you dont want to go to redbox. There are many options and you can get free movies just by signing up for an account. Lots of variety and options for everyone.

Roman Christiansen

December 28th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have VUDU on my television and it is amazing! I can rent almost any movie I want for great prices!

Sharpchargers

December 25th, 2019 Batesville, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cant find many of our movies unless we search specifically for the. Vudu changed gene's and has been messed up for over a year. Customer service doesnt care as once you start wigh ghem YOU ARE STUCK WITH THEM

Lily

November 19th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu has so many different movies it’s phenomena.There is so many different choices it’s crazy.Ilove using it for when isomer want tv show I just want a movie.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu is a good cheap streaming service if you are looking to stream some hard to find vintage TV shows and some 80's/90's movies. They have some great throwback Horror titles.

Private Lender

November 8th, 2019

Bait and switch movie list. Offers certain videos FREE WITH COMMERCIALS, but when I got there, despite the movie that was listed as free with commercials in both my Roku search AND Vudu's search/movie lineup--when I clicked on the movie to watch it, I was only offered the option of buy or rent, NO free view free with commercials. I despise such tactics and despite their having some movies actually free with commercials, because they advertised the ONE I wanted to watch (which brought me TO THEIR CHANNEL) as free with commercials, but was NOT--I removed Vudu from my channel lineup and will not give them another chance. Don't bait and switch me!

Bethany Simko

October 18th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Vudu is up and coming but they don’t have the best selection of movies for a very good price

Dylan Curtis

October 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Before we moved over to Google Play this is the service we used to put our digital movie copies so they were accessible wherever we went.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Vudu mostly for streaming movies and TV series. They have a decent variety. It does seem to buffer at times and will sometimes log us out, but overall it is a mostly reliable service.

Tony Gibson

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Vudu. I am a movie fanatic so I always buy the dvd with the digital code so I can have my own collection online all the time. I love that I can get to my movies in a hotel room or anywhere else. It even allows me to add existing movies to the collection for a small fee. I will keep using it and adding to it.

Vincent Leuzze

October 8th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I rent a movie I usually rent it on vudu. Vudu has a wide selection of movies in good quality with very affordable prices

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu has been an excellent movie provider. Especially with T-mobile Tuesday deals, I enjoy getting cheap movies, and even free movies to watch and stream.

erin

October 6th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Digital storage of all my movies yes yes yes!! easily able to get all of movies is honestly the best thing!! i love having access to it all times it makes my life so much better.

Don Boren

October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I didn't like that the advertisements were very repetitive. They had the same commercials at every break

Cynthia Carman

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Vudu! We have been using it for 10 years now and it has never failed us! It is so easy to buy and watch movies, my family uses it on a daily basis.

Jaime

September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love being able to watch the movies I buy digital copies of from my device anytime I want. I especially love Vudu's connection with my Wal-Mart account, so anytime I buy a DVD that comes with a digital copy at Wal-Mart, it is automatically added to my Vudu account. It makes it so easy on my end! I love this service.

Charlie

September 29th, 2019 Westminster, MD

What good is a great movie when it is unable to continue to stream. Everytime a commercial hits. The movie or tv show is unable to return. I have to retry several times. Vudu is disappointing.

Miles Strother

September 28th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've only used Vudu for purchasing digital movies, and it's selection does not disappoint. Most movies are pretty cheap, and deals can be found online, making it a great source for owning online movies.

Sage Robertson

August 4th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu is great! I love being able to watch my favorite movies everywhere and anywhere. Vudu is the most convenient streaming service.

Keeli Hansen

July 28th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vudu has all the movies you would want to watch. It’s super easy and it doesn’t put viruses on your devise

Tracy Womack

July 27th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE THAT YOU HAVE FREE MOVIES ON VUDU! There's always good movies that other streaming services don't offer. It's also nice that I can download movies onto my phone and watch them while I'm offline.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 21st, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how with Vudu you can have all your digital movies in one secure place. It makes streaming really easy.

Gayle

July 3rd, 2019 Waco, TX

First, many thanks for the free movies. My budget is limited and cable is not an option. The only suggestion I have is that Vudu offer a "search field" to key in movie names so that they come up right away. It takes much too long to locate the movie you want.

Connor

June 24th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For the first four years of using Vudu I loved it just knew that no matter where I go I can watch my movies that I have paid for. Today was a sad day because now I have to give them a 1 star and I wish I could give them zero. My husband is serving in the United States Navy and we were just moved to Guam. It is not stated anywhere that if you are still in the US but not main land that your rights to your own movies are gone. I'm very upset about this and hope that Vudu can either fix this problem or at least tell people that they are screwed while serving their country.

Rachel

June 16th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Typically Vudu has some of the best prices on the web. Their app could use a few updates though.

Lilly

June 15th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love vudu! It’s so nice to be able to put your movies that you buy as an actual dvd online. So then we have both the dvd and have it online. 10/10 love vudu!

Sergio

June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No annoying money hungry ads. Just straightforward service that allows me to watch what I have due-fully paid for.

Emily Walker

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that we can store all our online movies here but there are also lots of options that we can buy and watch for free.