VidAngel Logo

6.7

VidAngel launched to help families enjoy shows through eliminating questionable content. The technology allows customers to choose what they want to see or hear when watching streamed television. VidAngel's slogan is, "Watch however the bleep you want". The company was involved in a legal battle in 2016, but became reactive to change their focus on providing filtering services for streaming television instead of movies.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Personalized Filtering Options
  • Available On Multiple Devices
  • Free Trial
  • No Contract

Unique Filtering/Parental Controls

VidAngel provides customers a wide variety of options to filter their streamed shows. Customers can filter violence, language, gore, sexual themes, etc. This gives customers the option to tailor shows to the audience they are watching with. Parents can now watch with their children without worrying about questionable content.

Compatible with Several Streaming Devices

Customers can use Vidangel's services through several different devices. VidAngel does not favor specific platforms and supports Apple and Google devices. Customers can stream content on a web browser, the VidAngel App, Android devices, Chromecast, Apple Devices, Apple TV, Roku, Smart TVs, Amazon FireTV, etc.

Free Trial

The company allows new users to try their service for one free month before charging them $7.99 a month.

No Contract

VidAngel allows their users to cancel their service at any time. This provides users with freedom from a constricting contract and gives users the option to leave for any reason at any time.

The Bad

• Reputation
  • Limited Streaming Library

Reputation

VidAngel doesn't have the best public image due to their lengthy legal battle. VidAngel shut down and ceased operations in Dec. 2016 and was reactivated in June 2017 with a new focus on streaming television. This shut down led to a lower reputation quality in the public eye. Since the reactivation, VidAngel has been working to revamp their customer loyalty base and build user trust.

Limited Streaming Library

VidAngel offers a tiny library of content included with your subscription. However, if you'd like to filter a movie or show not already on VidAngel, you must connect another streaming service such as Netflix, HBO, or Amazon Prime.

The Bottom Line

For those who want to enjoy content without all of the swearing and other questionable material, VidAngel is an excellent service to utilize. VidAngel provides an easy way for families or children to filter out harsh language, violence, sexual themes, etc.  And customers are able to watch VidAngel through a wide variety of streaming devices at an affordable price.

chris l Great Harwood, LAN

Such an easy to view app that completely changes viewing pleasure for the better. Takes away blasphemy and nudity which are completely irrelevant to the storylines and plots anyway. It means I can watch and enjoy so many more films and tv programmes which before I would have chosen not to view.

Desiree Heber, UT

I love what they have to offer and don’t mind paying the price. I think it’s fair. Their technical difficulties are relentless and very poor support to fix issues.

Kylie Bishop Smithfield, UT

I use VidAngel all the time. It’s a way to watch movies and edit swearing, inappropriate scenes, and many more. i would defiantly recommend to someone with strict parents.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

VidAngel is one of my favorite apps at the moment. I can watch any movie I want, and filter out poor language, dirty scenes, and much more. I would definitely recommend.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I love VidAngel. It allows us to watch shows that otherwise would not watch. It does an amazing job editing out stuff. I also love that you can pick what you do not want.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I really like this service as a lot of movies that we want to watch we don't due to one or two scenes in the movie. This also helps me when letting my kids watch shows, I can set their filter and then put the show on and not have to worry about them seeing or hearing things I don't want them to.

Alex Danielson Riverton, UT

Love that I can watch a show without worrying too much about something inappropriate or crass popping up or something I'd rather not have my children see or hear at this point in time! Great service at a great price!

Gem Bountiful, UT

We have used VidAngel for a while. We are watching movies that we wouldn't choose to watch otherwise. We love it! Recently we watched their own show, "The Chosen": 10/10. We will keep using this service.

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

I couldn’t find anything I wanted to watch or that I hadn’t seen or that wasn’t awful acting

jada wood Logan, UT

I use it with my husband every day! We love not having to worry about explicit content, a small price to pay for all of the movies we can now feel good watching together. I am appalled at Disney. Maybe if they hadn’t sued vidangel for upwards of 60 million there wouldn’t be any glitches to worry about. But they are quick to fix them as they come and quick to respond with any concerns over email.

Kim McMillan Lawrenceville, GA

I like that we can filter movies BUT the streaming keep stopping in the middle of movie! Also, I keep getting billed twice in two months and no way can I contact them. NO number! Don’t subscribe!

Diana Crawfordville, FL

I liked it until it keeps telling me I dont have an Amazon account to link to :(

Ellie Cheyenne, WY

This is a great program for kids who may not be able to watch every movie with the family. You can filter to see just what you want to. I love this.

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

I love it that there's still professional streaming organizations that care about filtering content. Very controllable and easy to use so you can take out specifically what you don't want.

Olivia Norton Phoenix, AZ

I love vidangel!! Because you can filter movies and tv shows I can now watch things that I wasn’t comfortable watching before!!

Cassidy Wakefield Tucson, AZ

VidAngel allows me to watch any movie I want how I want to watch it. It will take out anything I don’t want to see and I love that.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

Great filtering service. You can choose exactly what you want to take out of the movies. There are quite a few movie options, wish there were more.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We have been customers of VidAngel for the past few years. As a parent I appreciate that I get to decide what is in the shows/movies that my kids can watch. For myself, I have actually been able to watch shows that I had wanted to watch but weren't exactly what I felt comfortable watching. I have LOVED vidAngel

SamO Brigham City, UT

VidAngel does a good job of filtering out the content I don't want in my media. I really agree with the idea of this company. I appreciate and have used it before.

kaylee Tremonton, UT

Vidangel is awesome. You can choose the filters to apply to your shows, making it however appropriate you want. They just mute when there’s swearing if you have that setting on. It connects well if you have fast internet.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

What a great company! Wish there were more movie producers and studios that shared their desire to give customers the ability to filter out unwanted garbage.

David T Magna, UT

VidAngel is cool. It allows my kids to watch shows that might have been bad for them to watch before.

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

I like the offering but the editing process was very tedious and it took some more time than I thought it was worth to watch a clean edit movie.

Nicholas Cloward Salt Lake City, UT

Used to be great! Too many issues with legal battles. That’s too bad it’s like that. Wish they were just left to do their job. Good concept

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I liked VidAngel purely for the filtering purposes. It was so nice to know I could watch a movie with my kids and be able to filter out what I didn't feel they needed to hear/see.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Vidangel is great because you can watch movies for free! It blew my mind the wide variety of shows available and the quality of the movie is great

Kallie Chappell Salt Lake City, UT

I love vid angle because it gives me an opportunity to watch stuff with out all the crap.

Hallieford Arlington, TX

I love vidangel to be able to edit out the swear words and sex scenes. Now we can watch movies without seeing uncomfortable.

June Cazier Layton, UT

VidAngel is so nice. Getting the movies pre-edited is fantastic, especially for kids and teenagers, but adults can totally benefit from it as well. Most of the time, the editing is pretty good.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

VidAngel opened the door to SO much in the film world that I would have never watched otherwise because of my personal comfort levels. It was amazing to be able to filter out specific content and tailor a show to my exact needs while still getting to enjoy films that I wouldn't watch otherwise. I would use it ALL the time.

Danielle Parry Wylie, TX

Great content. No issues with streaming. Love that I can edit any program to my specifications.

Kiana Chatfield Grass Valley, CA

Great for using when kids are wanting to watch movies. I can cut out anything and everything.

Christine Comstock Bountiful, UT

This has definitely been my very favorite streaming service! It allows me to watch so much more without all the garbage I’d rather not let into my home. Love, love, LOVE Vidangel!!

Mhorne182 West Valley City, UT

Lame product. Watch the movie as intended or don’t bother. People should not be so prude and watch a movie if they want to watch a movie. Swear words aren’t hurting anybody. If you don’t like nudity, don’t watch those movies. Violence, same.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

Vidangel is awesome because it allows me to watch movies that everyone else is watching without having to hear the cussing

Bryndie Managua, MN

I think VidAngel is genius. It makes family movie night so nice. Easy to compromise on a movie that adults want to watch but would be inappropriate for young kids. Now everyone gets to enjoy it!

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

We used VidAngel for a long time. We used it more so we could edit content for our kids. When they moved away for that for awhile, I don’t think they had a great service or a good value.

Erin Farnsworth Pleasant Grove, UT

We love vidangel. We have enjoyed many movies by cutting our one scene or offensive curse words. The levels of censoring are SO specific. They describe each potentially offensive scene and you can chose which to eliminate for yourself. The only time I don’t enjoy it, is when there are so many curse words in a movie that it pieces up the movie and takes away the cohesion of the film. But if that is the case, it’s probably not that great of a film anyways. I would recommend it you are a big movie watcher but don’t appreciate unnecessary sex scenes, language, or violence. We enjoying using it through our roku.

Clayton Parry Mesquite, TX

We absolutely love VidAngel. We were able to watch Game of Thrones completely edited.

Andrew Reynoldsburg, OH

Am I the only one going through this????? I am having a hard time stopping the charge on my account in the amount of $9.99 I canceled my subscription in November of 2019 and here in January 2020 I am still being charged. I’ve tried reaching out to a Vidangel representative but have had no luck. If you don’t have a lot of money to just give away DON’T SIGN UP I’m $30 in the hole for something I no longer want.

Myra Howes Provo, UT

I used to love VidAngel! I used it a lot a few years ago before there was the whole legal fiasco. I love that it provided popular movies for us to watch but that we could edit out what we wanted. I loved that you could specify the kinds of things you wanted edited out as well. Genius!

Jacob American Fork, UT

VidAngel was awesome! I loved being able to make the movies I watched cleaner and safer for viewing audiences like friends and family. It was very friendly to use as well and cheap.

Beth Christensen Provo, UT

My family watched the entirety of Game of Thrones on VidAngel! Family as in: two slightly squeamish parents, two boys a little too young for the content, and those of us who really wanted to share it with everyone! :) It has a great filter system, literally telling you everything you need to know in each movie or episode that you might want to filter out. They're even great about keeping spoilers vague. Well worth the price!

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

This is a very cool streaming service that allows you to filter content like language, sexual material, gore, etc. out of films, to make otherwise unavailable movies family friendly. My family has used VidAngel several times to watch rated R movies at a level closer to PG-13. It does occasionally create weird breaks in the movie where the content you filtered out would otherwise be, but it's a good service for what it offers.

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

VidAngel has allowed me to watch moves with my family that otherwise I wouldn’t be able to watch! A really great thing to have for the family!

JG_AZ Queen Creek, AZ

Been with VidAngel since they opened their doors (2014). Has been a superb experience for us. Having so much ability to control the filtering is empowering. We have watched movies we otherwise would not have, if there were no way to filter them. Disney needs to pull their head out of their , come down off their high horse, and recognize that it's us people who pay their salaries. If there were no us, there would be no Disney. It doesn't bother me that I can't filter Disney content at this time. I just don't watch their movies anymore. Nor do I give them any of my money in any of their other subsidiaries and products. Anyway, back to VidAngel... it has become such an integral part of our video watching lives. I will be with them until they die or I die, whichever happens first. Hopefully their service outlives me. Awesome product. Great creative minds. Keep up the great work VidAngel.

Lily South Jordan, UT

I love vid angel. If there is something in the movie I don’t like I can go back and change it so irony have to see it. I love vid angel.

Treyson Lewis Pleasant Grove, UT

VidAngel is very good for being able to show your kids movies that they want to watch that may not be age appropriate. This app is so good for taking things out of movies that your kids shouldn't be seeing.

Kimmi Riverton, UT

I love being able to filter out what I do not like to see or hear in my own home. I am more comfortable with my kids watching shows with this service.

Daphne Brown Riverton, UT

I love the product and wish they could move back to the rental model. I am able to us this on netflix and amazon which is awesome but I don't have all the movies on there.