Pandora Logo

7.1

LAST UPDATED: April 20th, 2022
In today's media-driven world, music streaming has become a hot market-and Pandora is one of the leading names in that market. A subsidiary of Pandora Media, Inc., Pandora was founded in January 2000 by Tim Westergren, Will Glaser, and Jon Kraft. Its current CEO is Brian P. McAndrews. While its headquarters are in Oakland, California, the business streams music for people all over the United States as well as in New Zealand and Australia. More than 1,300 employees strong, Pandora has 26 office locations and (as of 2012) brings in about $274 million in revenue. If you've used Pandora at all, you may have heard of an effort called the Music Genome Project. Doesn't ring a bell? The project is basically the effort of music analysts to study every facet of every genre of music-all in the effort to anticipate what song you, the user, would want to hear next. These analysts examine more than 400 musical traits of each and every song. Considered "musicologists," they typically have a four-year degree in music theory, composition, or performance. With this extensive background, the people on the Music Genome Project use their expertise to not only master your personal listening preferences but also introduce you to music you'd probably love. In this vein, Pandora is an excellent resource for streaming music you already like and discovering new tunes. So what can you expect with Pandora? For starters, their basic version is ad-supported-a.k.a. free to users. To sign up, you enter your email address, gender, zip code, and birth year and create a password to sign in. After that, you can browse stations that are based on songs, artists, genres, and occasions. While listening, you can click the familiar thumbs up or down, and Pandora will keep track of your likes and dislikes and base their suggestions off of those.

Spotify Logo
#1 Spotify chevron_right
SoundCloud Logo
#4 SoundCloud chevron_right

The Good

For users, probably the best and simplest aspect of Pandora is that it's free. If you're tired of hearing an ad every several songs, you can certainly subscribe to the uninterrupted Pandora One for $4.99 per month. But if not, you can count on Pandora to listen to a wide variety of songs at no cost. And what a wide variety they have! With Pandora, you can listen to practically every genre out there-everything from alternative and rock, to blues and jazz, to oldies, to pop, to country. What's more, you can look up stations specifically for dinner parties, road trips, and holidays. Oh, the convenience of it all. Pandora stays up-to-date with new releases as well. There's also room on your Pandora account to create up to 100 different stations. So it's no problem to save mixes for your workouts, your kids, and your study time. Once you create a station on Pandora, it will stay on your account unless you delete it-ready for you to access at the click of a button. Conveniently, Pandora also saves all your preferences. Once you click a thumbs up or down for a song, Pandora takes note. If you click up, the song is added to the list of likes in your account history. If you click down, Pandora will never play the song again. (And if you click the button in between for "I'm tired of this track," Pandora understands. They'll take a break from playing it for awhile.) Here's another bonus: Say you're feeling indecisive and don't know which genre you're in the mood for. There's an option to hit shuffle, and Pandora will play songs from all the stations you want. Unlike some competitors, Pandora doesn't require you to download anything to stream their music. You can simply sign in and hit play. They will also play on a variety of devices, including Web, iOS, Windows, and Android. You can listen to it on home devices, on your phone, or in the car. Besides the conveniences of actually streaming their music, Pandora has a positive reputation with 14 years of experience to back them up. Their staff are considered music experts (those "musicologists" from the Music Genome Project we talked about). So you can feel confident that they'll understand your tastes and be able to match them.

The Bad

Every rose has its thorn, however, and positive as Pandora's reputation is, it does have its limitations. For better or worse, "free" isn't purely free for everyone. Because Pandora makes no money off consumers who use their free version, they display banner ads and interrupt your streaming every several songs to play a 30-second ad. (What's more, they often repeat the same ads for days.) So you have to either be willing to pay for Pandora One or put up with the interruptions. In addition to ad interruptions, Pandora also times out on you. If you've been streaming music for an hour or two without clicking anything, Pandora will stop playing and ask if you're still listening. If you are, you can just hit yes and keep listening. But you might get tired of the pauses. Next limitation: the limit on the number of skips. For one reason or another, we all want to skip a few songs when streaming music. But with Pandora, you can only skip a handful of songs per hour. If you happen to be skipping a lot of songs, you'll eventually have to put up with the current song or switch to a different station. In essence, while Pandora is a leading service for discovering new music, it doesn't give you as much control as other competitors do. With services like Spotify, you can select specific songs to stream or put your favorite track on repeat. Unfortunately, Pandora doesn't let you do that. Instead, you're fed whatever songs they suggest.

The Bottom Line

At the heart of it, Pandora is a prime tool for music discovery. From its beginnings, its staff members have strived to scrutinize all types of song and introduce users to music based on their individual tastes. It's also one of the few streaming services that offers a free version (though it's supported by ads). So despite some lack of control you'd have with Pandora, you can expect to enjoy a wide variety of stations and a ton of suggestions that are based on your preferences. You can also be confident that you're giving business to an experienced company that has helped lead the way in the online music industry we know today.

scotty Saint Paul, MN

I listen to Pandora every single day at home and in my car. I haven't updated account but it's only the 499 one which keeps commercials out unless you skip through song it lacks the search function and download function but just being able to skip through with Open results is a huge coincidence itself great selection of music

Alicia Mesa, AZ

I have loved the experiences I've had with Pandora. I have used them for fun music listening and I loved to use them. I loved that the stations would just play on random, allowing me to hear songs I love and explore new songs that I could like. It helped me to expand my current library. I did have to learn how to search what I was looking for, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to my family and friends. I only used the free version, but I love it and still use it occasionally, even though I have a paid music subscription.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

Pandora is a great streaming service, especially if you're looking to find new music. Pandora allows you to listen to music just based on the genre or artist, which exposes you to music that you may not have heard before but is similar to your taste. I have discovered many new music through Pandora.

Erica Reynolds

I'm using Pandora right this second. My whole family loves Pandora. There is a station for EVERYONE! I use Pandora at home, at work, in the car, everywhere! Thumbprint Radio is my favorite thing about Pandora, it plays all of my favorite music, no matter the genre, all in one place!

Korinne C Riverton, UT

I've been using Pandora for years and love it. I mostly use it for the radio feature and don't do playlists with it. But it has introduced me to so much music that I wouldn't have found without it. I use the free version right now, and the ads are no big deal at all.

Emma N. Sandy, UT

I listen to pandora all the time, especially those hour or longer drives! I can play whatever type of music I want and it doesn't mix genres. With Spotify I have to keep skipping added songs, pandora knows exactly what I want, when I want it!

Julie Klein Mansfield, TX

I decided to try Pandora as it was the cheapest of the 3 music streaming apps available on my Fitbit Sense watch. It offered a 30 day free trial like the other two. Well now I know why it is the cheapest. After spending the better part of a day trying to get music to download and sync to the watch, I gave up. It kept saying it was syncing, but then it would stop. I thought maybe it was the watch until I tried Deezer...absolutely NO issues at all. So even though Deezer is twice as expensive as Pandora, it works on my Fitbit. Pandora will not get me as a customer.

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Pandora has a variety of music to choose from. I don't like the ratio of songs from a particular playlist of the band that I want to listen to. There are too many other bands included in the playlist.

Sydney Buena Vista, VA

Pandora is the best and you can, over a little period of time, customize stations just for you. The adds can be annoying but you can watch one add and get free Pandora for an hour.

Shreyash Shrestha Herriman, UT

This is one of the best streaming services there is. There's a wide variety of songs. The exclusive features are nice. I think there could be more for personalization, but otherwise great.

Laurel Dalton Herriman, UT

I loved listening to Pandora while studying for my AP tests. The playlists found on this platform are the perfect balance of trending music with styles catered to the individual listeners' taste. I would highly recommend Pandora to anyone!

Jackie Gardner Riverton, UT

I listen to Pandora all the time. I have tons of stations for an endless variety of genre and songs to listen to. And it's FREE! I love how it plays music that it similiar to the artists I choose so I can find new artists I never heard before and love.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

Pandora is very nostalgic for me. I feel it gives you the old aura/sense of when people used to really listen to stations rather than streaming services (even though it is a streaming service as well) and I do like that. I utilize the stations/radio feature the most and they have personalized a specific station so well for me. It's not like a playlist because sometimes you're introduced to new songs and you don't really know what is going to play next. I love listening to Pandora when I am in need of that nostalgia. They create amazing stations for you, honestly.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

I love Pandora because it's not like any other music platform. Rather than choosing specific playlists or songs, Pandora creates radios based on artists, genres, and personal preferences. My only problem with Pandora is that it is very hard to cancel services once you buy a subscription. I would recommend keeping the free version, but that also means having to deal with ads.

shirell West Haven, CT

really good for catergorys u would be interested in also u can plug in the car radio n just let the music flow

Jailene Torres Slocomb, AL

Pandora is my go-to app when I am tired of listening to my own playlists. The variety of music is awesome. The advertisements can be a little frustrating but I look past it.

North Florida Wildliife Center Havana, FL

Pandora is and always will be my favorite. I like that I don't have to pick the songs and can still hear stuff in that genre I'd like.

Heather Lee Buena Vista, VA

I love music. I was able to personalize music lists to listen to and they add a lot to my day. I love having my favorite music to listen to.

Carri Brents Bryant, AR

Plays all the good music. I love listening to the old skool rap!! My kids don't have to wait till super bowl Sunday to know what momma is all about!! haha

Jared Robinson Provo, UT

As far as music streaming apps go, Pandora is one of my least favorite. It limits the personal choice and has quite a few ads. Its randomization is weak at best and it seems to play the same songs over and over every time you use it.

Jesse Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Pandora is easy to use and has a great library of music. Sometimes the music can get repetitive. I feel that sometime I will hear the same song again in a short period of time.

OrvilleBro Herriman, UT

Pandora seems ok, however, I don't like the model they use that doesn't allow me to choose specifics. More fashioned as a radio-themed service, I've had times when explicit songs suddenly started playing a few songs deep in an unrelated top-level choice.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Probably my favorite music streaming service given how well their simple thumbs up and down system works. There algorithm is great playing the music I know and love and recommending new songs and artists.

melissa sorensen Spanish Fork, UT

I love using Pandora. I like creating my stations of favorite artists or themes, but that Pandora get to know what I like and has introduced me to so many great artists I hadn't heard before.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I love using Pandora! It is a great way to listen to songs you love and discover new songs that fit your style. You can also listen to other stations such as today's hits or Christmas radio.

Meagan Thorup West Jordan, UT

Pandora is a fairly inexpensive streaming service that's good for finding new music or just having music on in the background. They do a pretty good job of choosing music that aligns well with the music I already like. I found that after listening to a specific station for any length of time that the app kept playing the same songs, so I didn't like that as much. I also didn't like that you can't choose what music you want to listen to.

Nazjah Yates Tallahassee, FL

Pandora is a great streaming app that allows you to listen to different stations of music. They even find new music for you that they think you would like. A good way to hear new things and stop listening to the same songs. Easy to use!

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

If you're looking for a simple, background music site/app, Pandora is your go-to. Although semi-outdated compared to its competition (i.e. Spotify, Apple Music, etc.), Pandora continues to be as useful as when it was more popular. My favorite part being how great the radio feature is at providing office music or background music for a homework session. Additionally, having a free version and an ad free version, student discount AND military discount also sets Pandora up to perhaps really compete with Spotify one day.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

I love pandora simply for the nostalgic feelings that I get from it. It was my primary source of music in elementary school and i absolutely loved it. Though i’ve never had the premium version, i love the fact that it shuffles the music for you based on your prior likes and that you do get the option to skip a song that you make not be fond of.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

Pandora is a great music listening platform. I have used them for over two years, The main benefit to Pandora is the shuffle possibility; listening to the same music can get repetitive, but Pandora can introduce you to tons of different artists.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Pandora has some of the best music on their stations. They allow you to favorite songs and create your own playlists. If you pay the premium you even get no ads! I especially love Pandora because it has such a variety of music that I can listen to more pop or country whenever I feel like it. It is such a simple process to find your radio stations and favorite music! And if you don't want to pay you can access Pandora for free.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

Pandora is the radio I use when I want to listen to music that I didn't already buy. I have not upgraded and so I end up listening to an ad here and there. To be honest, I don't listen enough to pay for them to go away, so this is acceptable to me. It's basically what I pay. My cable company charges me for access and still shows me ads, so this is way better than that.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

Pandora has a great selection of music and I use it most of the time when I’m playing a playlist in my car.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I love the variety of music available on Pandora and they have really improved their options with their skip and replay additions. They do have frequent interruptions for adds but they are not as frequent as other streaming services and they often have offers of "watch this video and get an hour of uninterrupted listening" which is really nice. I have several playlists on Pandora and I listen to them wherever I am: running, working, studying, etc. The only complaint I have is that they don't have an international version, so every time I travel out of the country I don't have access to any of my playlists.

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

I love Pandora. I have different stations I use for different days and different moods. Thanks for making great music available!

BJorgensen Herriman, UT

In all honesty I only use the free option that Pandora offers but I wish they would play more songs from the band I select in the mix with the other music in the genre.

Sabra Burrell Herriman, UT

Pandora is a great place to listen to music. I love how I can put in a request and it makes a playlist with similar artist. They have so much selection.

Brandon Kimball Thurgood AZ

Listen to free Pandora. Overall I am pleased with the music from each channel. However, I am not pleased with some of the commercials for the adult content with little ears listening.

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

Great streaming service when you want to listen to a radio station based on your favorite artist or different artists that you like. I have been a pandora user since 2007 !

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

I have used Pandora for sometime now and I have really gotten used to their app and navigating around it. Pandora has a genre for everyone with endless music in each genre. There is a feature that will introduce you to new music that you might not have heard of or styles that you have not tried before. Try Pandora and enjoy!

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I like that I can choose an entertainer to use as my "station" and Pandora chooses other artists that are very similar. I used the free app and found that there weren't too many commercials to deal with. Will continue using this service, and even switched to the premium service.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

Although I do not use Pandora as much since I have Apple Music, I do still appreciate the streaming service. I really like the use of channels based on artists, songs and/or genres, but I wish skips were not limited. Also, sometimes the channels can get a bit repetitive.

amari sims Tallahassee, FL

When I was younger I loved using Pandora to listen to music because of the variety on the app. It introduces you to new music that fits your interests and can be accessed through the computer.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Pandora is great for exploring new music based off artists I already like. The thumbprint radio is also nice because it is supposed to play music that most correlates with liked songs. The limited skips and the ads can be annoying, but that is why they have a premium service.

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love the shuffle mode on Pandora! It shuffles the similar music on the the radio of the artist I enjoy listening to. I can’t find this feature on any other app!

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

I love using this music app it’s great for everyday use.it comes in handy when you don’t know what to listen to they can generate playlist specific to artist you may like.

Tommi Young Louisville, KY

I love Pandora it plays all the music that I like. Some of the songs that I haven't heard in a long time that I hear bring back good memories. It also plays current songs that I like as well. This company knows what I like and I love it. I listen to them when I am working. It makes the days go by smoother. Love it love it love it.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

I listen to Pandora everyday while I am at work and while I am at home doing chores. I am not a paying customer anymore but I do like that I can "thumbs UP or thumbs DOWN" a song and they eventually create the perfect play list for me.

Magnum0970 Cerritos, CA

I listen to Pandora every single day while I work. I like that I can build custom channels that have the type of music I prefer without having to build a specific playlist or a specific artist, it gives me a nice variety. I’m a paying customer so I can avoid the commercials, and would recommend this to others as well

Eliza Jane Arledge Smithfield, UT

Pandora is an amazing music streaming app, but it is also a great way to find new music that you may be interested in. I love how you can find other albums that others have already created or you can create your own. I love how user friendly it is. I am always finding new song I love by simply putting in a song I already like and them doing all the work to find other songs I may like. Pandora is always my go to when looking for new songs to jazz up my playlist.