Amazon Music Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: March 6th, 2022
The summer of 1994 saw the creation of a company that has largely changed the way we shop, read, give gifts, and even view media. Amazon.com, founded by Jeff Bezos, started out as a mere resource for buying books. Based out of Seattle, Washington, the website filled orders for people in 50 states and 45 countries-all in its first 30 days of doing business! And today, it is run by more than 97,000 employees. Needless to say, Amazon became popular fast. And it has only grown tremendously since then. Over the years, Amazon has continued to cover more ground and in September 2007 began including music services, such as buying and downloading tracks. Music streaming, however, didn't become an Amazon service until June 2014. In other words, Amazon streaming is very new but still very convenient for certain consumers. If you have an Amazon Prime account, or if you're thinking of getting one, listen up. Prime Music, as they call it, is now available for all Amazon Prime members in the United States-at no additional cost to your membership!

Spotify Logo
#1 Spotify chevron_right
Pandora Logo
#3 Pandora chevron_right

The Good

If you already hold an Amazon Prime account, the awesome news is that you pay no additional fees to stream their music. As a member, you immediately have access to over one million tracks and hundreds of playlists. What's more, Amazon streaming is ad-free, which means there are no interruptions to your listening experience. But that's not all. You'd think that since Prime Music comes with no extra fees that it would come without many perks. On the contrary, you can:
  • Handpick the songs you want to listen to (rather than being fed automatic tracks)
  • Skip or repeat songs as often as you want
  • Download tracks and listen to them offline without an Internet connection
  • Create playlists of songs that you've downloaded
Not bad at all! Amazon streaming also works with a wide variety of mediums, including Android, Windows, iOS, Roku, Sonos, and the Web. You can stream from devices like a Fire Phone, iPhone, iPad, Fire Tablet, Fire TV, Mac, PC, and even your car. They offer a free music app you can download too. But do be aware that Amazon apps work through the Amazon Cloud Player, which you'll have to download to use. If you're unsure about Prime Music, you'll love the length of their free trial period. For one month, Amazon lets you preview what it's like to stream with them-in the hopes that you'll love what you experience and sign up for that Prime account.

The Bad

Probably the biggest downside to Prime Music is that you're required to have an Amazon Prime account in order to stream it. So even though there's technically no additional cost for streaming as a Prime member, you're also already paying the $99 fee per year (or $49 if you're a student) for the account. That means no free version is available in any sense of the term. Prime Music is also currently available in only the United States. While Amazon ships products across many countries around the world, the site hasn't linked music streaming to other countries, so if you're traveling or moving out of the US, you'll no longer have access to it. Furthermore, Amazon's music selection is pretty small compared to most competitors. One million songs sounds like a lot, but when other companies boasts 10, 20, or 30 million+ songs, Amazon's library starts to look like slim pickings. Along with this, they typically don't offer the most recent songs, so you can't expect to stream new releases through it. Another obvious con for Amazon is the fact that they've only offered streaming since mid-2014. That's not very much time to work out software errors, add tracks to the music library, and rectify other issues that inevitably pop up in the first few months (or years) of opening up shop. And while some competitors have been streaming music for more than 10 years, Amazon is still quite young and inexperienced, at least in this department.

The Bottom Line

What makes Amazon music different is that it's directly linked to Amazon Prime, which has a very large customer base already. Unlike other streaming services, Prime Music is a service that comes with a membership that offers loads of other benefits, such as video streaming and discounts on mail orders. In this way, Amazon.com has set itself up to potentially gain a lot of streaming customers fast. They also stand out because they take features like offline listening, unlimited skips, and on-demand listening and put them all into one streaming service. What does this mean for you? It means that if you're an Amazon Prime member, you're in luck. You'll automatically enjoy great streaming services, albeit with a smaller music library and a slightly lower bit rate (256 kbps). And if you're not a Prime member, here's just one more reason you might consider signing up. Essentially, Amazon has rewarded current Prime members, enticed music lovers to join, and set itself apart from the more accessible and less expensive competitors.

Jailene Torres Tallahassee, FL

I like Amazon Music because of how easy it is to play on my Alexa device. If I don't want to listen to my usual playlists on other platforms, I go to Amazon Music because I know that the music it shuffles will be within my tastes and I am bound to find a new song I like.

Shon Scoville Lehi, UT

I love that I can make my own playlists in Amazon music. So can my kids. However, it really bugs me that when my kids are streaming, I can't. I have to pay more for that. I feel that I already am paying for a service, why not let us all stream.

Sadie Scoville Lehi, UT

I love Amazon Music! Especially Amazon Music Unlimited. The app is so easy to use and it's not just music, but there is podcasts too! The only thing I don't like is how much the unlimited plan is...

Korinne C Riverton, UT

I love Amazon Music. I don't use it as much as spotify, but I do use it often. I love that I can tell Alexa to play any song on Amazon music and it works. And I do love that it is included in the cost of Amazon Prime and I don't have to pay extra for it.

Alicia Mesa, AZ

I have used Amazon Music a few times and have been pleased with what I have experienced. One thing I really liked about it was that I could find a few things on there that I couldn't find anywhere else. Overall, there isn't as much of a selection as I would have anticipated, but from what I have used and interacted with, it was a good experience and I would recommend it to others.

Lilyjames MN

Amazon music is one of my favorites and is free if you have Amazon prime which has a lot of benefits. You can listen to any song you want on it as well.

Ron Durfey Orem, UT

I have loved my Amazon Music service. I especially enjoy using it with my multiple Alexa's. I also like that it provides me access to Cold podcasts and other entertainment. Very easy to use and great product.

Savannah Peay Lehi, UT

They have a lot of different music options avaible for all different types of listeners. I love that they have a family plan where I can share my music with my family.

Lauryn Pelch West Jordan, UT

I use amazon music almost everyday. I love all the different songs and stations there are. The reason I gave it 4 stars is every once and a while it stops working and it won't let more than one person listen to it. It also signs me out but overall it is definitely one of my favorite ways to listen to music.

kaij West Jordan, UT

The best thing I love about Amazon Music is the discovery playlist. Amazon Music finds songs that are similar to songs you listen to. It is really a easy way to find new music which I am always looking for. One thing about the search feature doesn't work 100% of the time, like you have to dig a little deeper to find to the song sometimes.

Tammy Koch St Louis, MO

I don't have any complaints! Amazon Music has allowed me to keep all my music in one 'place' so I can access it anywhere. I listen on my smartphone, laptops, and through my TV with Fire Stick. They have a huge collection, good stations and playlists, and podcasts.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Amazon Music has a great selection of songs and is very easy to use! We love to play Amazon Music while we cook and bake, and it makes our time much more fun. We love how many songs you can find, even songs that aren't super popular!

Adelynn Fisher Lehi, UT

I like how you can tell Alexa to skip, pause, or put songs on repeat songs. I like the "my soundtrack" future, it's very nice to just play songs that you like without having a certain playlist.

Heather Riverton, UT

I subscribe to amazon prime and my family really likes the music streaming service that is included. It is easy to use and has lots of music options are available.

OrvilleBro Herriman, UT

Amazon music seems like a gateway drug to get you to purchase their premium service. I spent the time creating playlists on the music service that came with my Prime subscription, only to discover a few weeks later, many of the songs I took the time to add to my playlists were suddenly classified as premium and went unavailable. Unimpressed, Amazon.

Shreyash Shrestha Herriman, UT

This is a very good music service. The variety is wide and they are nice things that just Amazon music does. However, the problem is that there is too much limit. You have to sometimes pay for a certain song and it is very irritating.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Comes free with your prime membership so I was amazed when I realized the extent of the collection they offer. There are some premium features, but if you just want to stream some hits just ask Alexa.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

I have loved Amazon Music so much! It has been so amazing to hear the different songs. There is such a variety of songs, so I can always find what I'm looking for. I would give it a 10 out of 10.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I love Amazon Music! I used to use Google music until I found this. I love being able to have multiple profiles so my kids can listen too. Setting up a playlist and searching for songs is super easy!

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

I love using Amazon Music on my Alexa! One challenge that I was not expecting to encounter is that when our wifi cuts out, the account becomes disconnected resulting in having to re-login. Other than internet issues, I would highly recommend Amazon Music as it has a variety of songs that make it easy to listen to many genres.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Amazon Music has such a variety of songs on their playlist. It is so easy to look up a song and make your personal playlists. You can have playlists for all kinds of music genres that you love. I love that they have the whole Hamilton Musical so I can memorize all of the songs!

Sherman Watson

I use Amazon Music when I drive anywhere. I can pick any artist and listen to their entire body of work or listen to similar artists. I stream through Bluetooth on my car radio and Bluetooth speakers at home. I would not be able to afford a library as large as Amazon's. During a recent 10 hour trip I was able to listen to my favorite music during that trip.

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Amazon music has a wide variety of music to choose from. It is included with my Amazon Prime account so it only allow 1 person to listen at a time.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We use Apple Music and it has been a great way to Stream music for the entire family. We have been happy with the service.

Jared Robinson Provo, UT

As a music streaming service, Amazon Music is one of my last choices. Quite frankly, I would definitely use the radio before I would pull up Amazon music. It doesn't run nearly as well as other music streaming apps, even on Amazon devices. It's quite buggy and far from intuitive.

HKorene Robinson Herriman, UT

While Amazon Music did work decently well, and is better than nothing, I felt that they had a very small music catalogue, and overall I felt that the service did not allow for much customization, especially when used on an Alexa device.

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

Often times there isn’t a ton of music even when you do have unlimited and it just feels very limited but music is still music. I like how you can sort your music with ease.

Molly Blair Herriman, UT

I use Amazon music every day, it's great! It has a very large selection of music and it is very easy to use. It gives great reccomendations and creates great playlists. Definitely reccomend!

Tara Hansen Layton, UT

We switched to have the upgraded platform so we could stream music on multiple devices without interruption. We have loved it and it has been worth every penny!

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

It is good for what it is. I like the streaming sites better where I can get anything within my paid subscription, than having to purchase many of the songs I want individually. Streaming gets my vote always.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have amazon prime and because of that, I get Amazon Music for an inexpensive price. It is a great platform to listen to music and has a ton of different options when it comes to artists.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

When Amazon does something-it does it in a big way. Same for Amazon Music. Everything under the sun is available in terms of music content. Its compatibility to other Amazon services is unique and helpful. All the streaming has easy to use tools. Music is easy to enjoy with Amazon Music.

Kenneth Garwood

I have been an Amazon prime member for years and really like how they keep adding benefits and this latest one on music is really great. I love the extensive choices of music and cannot find a reason for improvement at this time.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Very easy to use and I like that it links with all of my other accounts. They have a large amount of music as well. The App is easy to use, but I wish they had someone to talk with when questions arise. There isn't a great customer service department to talk with when issues come up.

Don Montegut, LA

The music options for Amazon Prime isn't known by many but it is as good as the others. There are a million choices and the best part is it comes free with an Amazon Prime subscription. You can upgrade and get even more music options.

Mark Frogley Phoenix, AZ

Amazon Music came with my Amazon Prime account so I put no value in it. I got sick of the commercials on Pandora so I decided to give Amazon Music a try and was pleasantly surprised! I had no idea that I had all of this music at my fingertips!

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Amazon music is the best streaming service. They have stations that are customized to your personal likings, no advertisements, and so much more. The Alexa feature is also a great addition to Amazon music. They have a multitude of artists and songs to choose from to create a customizable experience.

David Martin San Diego, CA

Amazon music is the very first app that I will open when I want to listen to music. I buy most of my digital music from Amazon, so the Amazon music app makes listening to my purchased music very convenient. You can even listen to general music stations through the Amazon Music app. Every year at Christmas time, I pay for one month of Amazon Music Unlimited so I can stream unlimited Christmas music for the whole month. I do feel like paying for Amazon Music Unlimited every month is a bit too expensive, so that is why I only do it for one month out of the year.

Lea Fiscella Clermont, FL

Most music is not available with my Alexa and the product is not worth the money with Apple Music and Spotify available.

Emily Hamilton Orem, UT

Love the service and what they provide when its always so hard to find a good music streaming option

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Listen to it on my Alexa every night. They have playlist for me and it great to have playing in the background.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

We have enjoy amazon music. I can't say that I have used all the features. Mainly as background music as I work at home.

luke dalton Riverton, UT

I love listening to it from my Alexa. It is sometimes hard to get the exact song I am searching for, but most of the time it is amazing.

emblair Herriman, UT

Great streaming full of all my favorites! Amazon Music makes it easy to find stations with songs that match my music preferences.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Amazon music is a great site to use! It comes along with our amazon prime membership. You can listen on your phone, and even connect it to your alexa to play music all throughout the house!

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Amazon music is a fine platform. I like that it is linked to my Amazon Prime and that is has a huge library. I am annoyed that I did not know this was a thing for a long while so I had been paying for another music service while I had access to Amazon Music all along.

Missy Charleston, IL

I love that Amazon Music can pretty much play whatever comes to mind. It's easy to use the app to make playlists or to access recommended playlists based on our music selections. I think the service is worth the cost.

Paula Mock

I have used this company for close to two years. I pay the yearly fee for unlimited music. I can stream music on my phone, computer, and on my Amazon devices (fire tv, Alexa). I can play individual songs, artists, and album. I wish it was a little less money, or included with an Amazon Prime Membership.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

Amazon was great but I had issues with my airpods while Siri was activated. It took me awhile before being able to figure out the issue. Once I figured it out it worked great again but for that period of time I was very frustrated with the app.

Brycen Blater Phoenix, AZ

I don't think Amazon Music is as good as Spotify or Apple music. But they do have a lot of deals and so it is really easy to find it for only $.99 a month sometimes. It also works really great if you have other Amazon devices or if you buy music on Amazon. The customer service is also really helpful.