Sunrun

7.7

LAST UPDATED: September 24th, 2021

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

Sunrun, which is the nation’s largest residential solar, storage, and energy service company, has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar power and helped hundreds of thousands of consumers in 19 states.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 25-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Sunrun Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

To fit customer needs, Sunrun offers several solar financing options, including solar lease, Power Purchase Agreement (PPAs), prepayment, outright purchase, and solar loan.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost. PPAs from Sunrun help the homeowner save on his or her electric bill.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that when it comes to renewable energy, every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goals are unique.

As a result, the solar company customizes every solar panel installation to the customer's needs using its own proprietary Automated Site Modeling design technology. With just a few pieces of information and satellite imagery of the rooftop, Sunrun's Automated Site Modeling software quickly designs a custom solar energy system to maximize production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The solar installer saves time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

25-Year Maintenance

If Sunrun customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the solar panel system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Sunrun Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and up to a 25-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

In addition, Sunrun provides its solar customers with daily system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's monitoring team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a U.S.-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Brightbox also helps customers manage electricity costs by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of helpful information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes detailed solar education and FAQ sections, a helpful Guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand Sunrun's products and how to start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, the solar energy company has offset 3.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 240,000 customers to control their energy bill.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states:

• Arizona
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Vermont

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of articles and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, local information, solar education, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Learn more.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Find out more. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

not_listed_location

Sunrun Frequently Asked Questions

How does going solar with Sunrun work?

After you sign your Sunrun agreement, you’re ready for solar panel installation. The best part? You don’t have to lift a finger because we take care of everything from scheduling to submitting permits, to working with the city and utility, and securing your solar panels to your roof. Naturally you’ll have questions, and we’ll be right there with you answering them every step of the way.

Once you’re approved for a Sunrun solar installation, your home will undergo a site assessment and an expert solar technician will visit your home to confirm your system design.

After that, our solar design experts make any necessary adjustments to your design and get your final approval. Once you’ve approved your system design, we submit your design to the city for permitting. From there, either Sunrun or one of our local certified partners perform your solar installation. We only partner with the top-rated solar installers, so know you’ll have the highest quality solar installation available.

When your installation is complete, the city or county will perform a final inspection on your system. Once it’s approved, it will be connected to the grid, and we’ll submit your documents to the utility company. After your utility company grants Permission to Operate, you’re ready to start powering your home with the sun.

How much does a solar energy system from Sunrun cost?

Solar home solar system prices vary by home, your utility company, and your location. Contact Sunrun for a quote today.

What solar panels does Sunrun use in its installations?

Sunrun uses standard and high-performance solar panels in its installations.

How long does it take for Sunrun to install solar panels?

The process of having a home solar system installed on your roof can be relatively quick. Many Sunrun installations are completed in one day.

But before our crew comes to your house, we take a few weeks to prepare your project so that you have the smoothest installation day possible. You will have a team of experts working for you during this time who handle the tasks necessary for a smooth solar installation and keep you updated along the way. Our customer app also allows you to see your installation status during this time:

• Conduct a site survey to look at your roof, attic and electrical panel
  • Finalize your custom design
  • Apply for permits and wait for approval
  • Collect other necessary approvals and documentation that is specific to your neighborhood, such as HOA approval

Your project coordinator will be in touch with you throughout this time to keep you up-to-date on your progress. When it comes time to install the system, your installation coordinator will let you know how long the construction process will take for your home.

How long is a Sunrun agreement?

In general, our Sunrun agreements last for up to 25 years. Contact a Sunrun solar advisor for more information.

What happens at the end of a Sunrun agreement?

When you reach the end of your Sunrun agreement, you have three options:

• You can purchase the solar system at the fair market value (excluding New York homeowners).
  • You can renew your lease with us on an annual basis.
  • Sunrun can remove the system at no cost to you.

When you reach the end of your agreement, the Sunrun Customer Care team will help you with moving forward however you choose.

Does Sunrun offer a warranty?

All of our solar equipment is backed by robust warranties. When you choose BrightSave, your solar system will also come with 24/7 monitoring and maintenance. So if it breaks, we’ll fix it, free of charge. Contact us to learn more about our Comprehensive Home Solar System Support.

Does Sunrun offer solar monitoring?

Yes! We have a monitoring team dedicated to keeping an eye on your home solar system. Here’s how it works:

• We record production (in real-time) — Your Sunrun meter counts your kilowatts as they’re produced.
  • We collect your production data (every six hours) — Four times a day, your Sunrun meter sends your production data to our Denver-based monitoring team, where all production data is collected, stored, and analyzed.
  • We evaluate your production (every day) — We compare your production to the estimates included in your contract to confirm that your system is working as expected. We also check the weather and other systems in your neighborhood to make sure you’re harvesting just as much sunshine as your neighbors.
  • We fix what needs fixing (if necessary) — If your system isn’t working as expected, we will identify the issue and rectify the situation. If we cannot fix your system with remote troubleshooting, we may need to send a technician to take a look at your system in person.

How many states is Sunrun in?

Sunrun currently offers residential solar service in 22 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Sunrun states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin.

3.5

Rowlett Sunrun user

Their pricing is a little confusing especially since they have to partner with a utility provider. You know what your Sunrun lease costs will be, they are pretty straight forward, but what the utility will charge you is unknown. That is at least until you have a year's worth of billing experience with them. In the end you end up paying a little less than what you would have had to pay a straight utility connection. I am not fond of the duel billing program nor that I have to set up automatic withdrawal from my checking account in order to get the Sunrun discount. I would have preferred being able to do so from a credit card.

Shoshana Chatsworth, CA

The installation went pretty smooth. A couple hiccups extended it but after that it was good. After the fact I found out some of the information I was given was not true. I was told that my panels would work if the power was out and they don't. Also I was told I would be able to cash out the money for the overage at the end of the year and I can't. I really wish they were more upfront with some of the questions I asked. I really felt deceived when I found out the coverage doesn't cover the full cost of the power and I can't withdraw it. I have hundreds of dollars of extra power that I will never be able to use. I wish I had gotten less panels because of it.

Paul Huber Las Vegas, NV

My power system is excellent. Does everything I expect from it. SunRun service is at fault. When I talk to Representatives, they are always pleasant and seem to have concern over my issues. But it end there. I get referred to other departments or to subcontractors who just done close back with me. I call SunRun back to follow up and nice sounding people commit to getting the work done, but it never happens.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication in regards to the experience you've encountered. We've saddened to see that this has not been since you're having system issues and you're not able to save. We can certainly address this issue and reach out to you for more details. We'd like to turn this experience around this is not the Sunrun norm.

Jul. 6th, 2020

Jerome Stockton, CA

There is always room for improvement. The equipment is good and my panels are getting a lot of sun and making my energy stay low. One thing I would note is that Sun Run didn’t say up front that your bill will go up every year. They might want to really put that out up front when they are promoting or selling because we didn’t know until I called about it and they said it was in the contract. Also if you sell the house and they new owners don’t want solar the previous owners are still liable for the solar. Those are two negatives I have with Sun Run. Just be up front with your customers.

Alfred Waimea, HI

The first few months after installation had many problems with the system . Customer service was deceptive in their phone call saying the system was correct and running correctly and we find out that to be false.after several technical visits and upgrades and batteries weren't even turned on had to get Reguonal manager involved and multiple monthy credits were issued

Angela Escondido, CA

I liked that it was offered through Costco. The instillation was quick and went well. They're very slow to respond as far as sending people out for repairs. The turnaround time it is too long. We had problems with the inverter and they had to give us a new one under warranty. We were without our solar power for a long time. We had to go back on SDG&E at peak rates. It was a good two months and it wasn't until I got Costco involved that anything started to happen. The whole process to get the inverter replaced was very difficult.

David

We're not happy with the results we are getting with our solar panels because I think we're paying more for the solar panels on our electricity than we would have just with the electricity and solar. The installation was very quick and easy. No hassles, no problems and was done in less than half a day I think. Their customer service representatives do pretty well. I think we're going to have to review our bills based on what we've been paying for our electricity and size of our house and they'll make a determination if we need more.

Lynn in Algonquin Algonquin, IL

Well when I was selling my house I would not receive updates from the customer service department regarding the service being switched. I actually had to contact my sale person to get me an update. Then I paid my last bill and a week later Sunrun deducted the payment t again and so I sent a copy of the duplicate payment information to customer service in July of this year. I ha e not heard from them, have not received my refund of the duplicate payment and I just don't have time to hang on the phone

James Walsh

When we signed up several years ago there were not that many options. It is my impression that there are far more now and that some of the deals would be more advantageous to me. Secondly, because of my finances I never set up automatic payments from my bank account. Banks are unforgiving if you live month to month and sometimes run short. I'd be happy to set up autopay with my credit card but that is not an option you offer. Too bad. The situation is irritating to us both.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello James W. We are happy to hear that you are one of our long term customers! Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun. Sunrun prefers that customers sign up for autopay because it ensures that a payment is made on time each month. This reduces the amount of time and resources dedicated to collecting payments from customers. It is a convenient option for customers because it occurs automatically and they don't have to worry about due dates and sending checks.

Mar. 21st, 2019

The salesman didn't explain the contract in full. Lots of surprises especially when it came to our roof and repairs. They only put a new roof on the part where our solar panels were being placed. We were also told there were no incentives and low and behold they got it. Please be aware of promises not kept. My advice is READ THE CONTRACT COMPLETELY.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this information with our leadership team. This is not the Sunrun norm.

BillAZ Sun City West, AZ

Our system was installed in May 2019. It didn’t work until August 2019. The investor needed to be replaced. It took 2 months to get it changed out. It took forever to get the investor considering this was a new system. Poor and very slow customer service.

Harley Chino Valley, AZ

They didn't install an adequate # of panels, yet we pay as much as others with more panels. Our neighbors with the exact same model home got 2 more panels than we did, they make the same monthly payment and they get bigger refunds from our local power company, but Sunrun said, "Hey you're stuck with your contract"!

ktdlr

We have a had a few times where a couple of our panels stop working and when it is addressed, Sunrun doesnt seem to address the issue in a timely manner, we have also asked for credit back for the loss in production when these panels go down and still have not seen any movement from them.

David B

We have had the panels for about four years, and have not had one year go by where the system hasn't under-produced what was promised/estimated, so we have two energy bills for 2-3 months every spring. The other 9-10 months of savings is nice though.

Patrick Buckeye, AZ

They had some issues with the billing and I'm not quite getting the output out of it that I was hoping to but it hasn't been bad. I haven't had any problems with the equipment. I wish it would give me a little more output but no part issues.'

Margaret Phoenix, AZ

Excellent set up, but the company does little follow up to check the efficiency of the system. We were promised significant savings but our actual savings has turned out to be only a couple hundred dollars over the whole year.

Rebecca figliozzi

My solor bill now almost 3 years later is just as much as my BGE bill at the start of this. There is no saving for sure . We not told up front that the rate increase each year . Should have stayed with out solor for this rate

William L. Pegg Jr., Esquire

Billing practices very bad. Unable to set up automatic payment through credit card. I have to pay $7.50 a month for paper Billings. I do not permit direct access to my bank accounts. This for reasons of overall security.

Reply from Sunrun

We offer a discount for making your monthly payments using autopayment because of the additional resources needed to process checks every month. If we didn't have auto-payment processing 80,000 checks manually would be very expensive and time-consuming. You are not required to sign up for automatic payments. However, you will see the ACH opt-out adjustment $ 7.50 on your solar bills each month. If you change your mind, you can sign up for automatic payments using your checking or savings account on the customer website or by calling this number.

Apr. 2nd, 2019

Greg Hardacker

product is great, service, not so much. No one ever answered any questions and when our service went down, we were ignored for at least a week. than found out that a software update was all that was needed, and that could have been done remotely.

Reply from Sunrun

We are sorry to hear that your questions were not answered. We want to take the time to do so, please private message us your questions and we can address them ASAP. We love to hear that you are on the other hand happy with the product!

Alan

After install was performed, customer service was poor. They were not trained to answer questions about the backup battery. After much complaining I did get a senior customer service person who was very helpful. Had used SunRuns roofing company, and had two roofing leaks, leaks were due to poorly trained roofers.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication. We want to make sure that our Care team is answering your questions accurately. We apologize for this one off situation this is not the way we do business. Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to review more information about the BrightBox on I hope we addressed your leak issue as well. If you would like to address this in detail feel free to private message me your contact information.

3 Las Vegas, NV

They were really good in the beginning but haven't followed through very well. I just wish they would follow up with their customers after they get the job. They don't seem to follow up to see if the customers are happy or not once they get the sale.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Carol. We are saddened to hear we have failed to follow through. Please private message us your contact information so we can address your concerns. Thank you.

Feb. 20th, 2019

John Merrick Las Vegas, NV

I do not feel my soar panels are installed to optimize sun availability.I have called this matter in -- they said my contract was being met.I say if you are going to install solar panels. Install them as to get "ALL THE AVAILABLE SUN.."

Reply from Sunrun

Hello John, thank you for your communication. We are sorry to hear that you feel your system is not set up to receive the most production possible. We proactively monitor your system and checking the production your panels are doing great! You can check your system's production online, just visit .

May. 22nd, 2018

Mark in Walnut Creek

Everything started great. Excellent all the way through installation and the first year after. Since then I have had two or three instances where I have attempted to make contact with customer service and have been left totally dissatisfied.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Mark. This is not the Sunrun norm, providing the best customer experience is key because our mission is to create a planet run by the sun. Thanks, this feedback will be provided to our customer care leadership team.

James Olson Platteville, CO

The main reason why I looked into it was that I was curious. I talked to a rep that was really nice. We signed up and got everything hooked up. We really liked the people that worked on it, they did a nice job putting it up. I haven't had it for long enough to really tell how much it's going to cost us or anything though.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you so much for sharing your experience James! We are thrilled this was handled in a satisfactory manner. If you know someone who might also benefit from Sunrun, you can take advantage of our referral program by going to Thanks for joining us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun!

Apr. 5th, 2018

Garnet Waianae, HI

Didn't met our expectations, we told agent What we wanted at the first meeting and he assured us to get what we want but it didn't happened. We can't do anything now cause we're bound with their contract

Alice or Raymond Poage Fresno, CA

Not one representative informed us of the yearly raise in our contract with you and I am very upset about it especially since my husband passed and I am faced with a yearly increase and my income will not.

Margaret M. Henderson, NV

They didn't reply to my inquiry as to why we didn't get referral money from the customer we sent to them. They were also going to pigeon block our panels, but never got back to us on that either.

Judith

I have been trying to work with my representative for the last couple weeks and have been unable to connect with him. I think it's a great company but the after care has been less than.

Edwin Buckeye, AZ

I did not see any benefits to adding solar for the first year. I was still paying two full utility bills. Then at the end of the first year I suddenly started seeing credits against my normal electric bill from solar.

Rhonda Schauberger

We have not received the amount of savings that was presented to us at the initial consultation appointment. In addition, we have had trouble receiving the $300 referral fees that we were promised.

Reply from Sunrun

Rhonda, we would be more than happy to assist you with your referral issues. Please private message us your contact information. Keep in mind that the size of your utility bill is based on your usage. If your bill is higher than last year, you may be using more power than last year. Since your Sunrun rate is lower than that of your utility, that means you'd be paying even more for your current usage without solar. In other words, you're still saving.

Lauren North Las Vegas, NV

Installation was good but they did not put enough panels, I think there should be more up there. I never got a rebate so I would not recommend SunRun because my neighbor did get one.

Matthew goelze Escondido, CA

Sales and install process great. After the fact they drop you and can't even send someone out to show you their website or system codes/meanings so you understand how to ensure your system is producing at its max

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Matthew. We are sorry to hear about your experience after the install. This is not the Sunrun norm. We want customers to feel that we are supporting them and guiding them. Looking at your system it's doing great. Please sign in to to review the production. Feel free to reach out to if you have any more questions. Power Forward.

Sep. 6th, 2018

Jonathan Fresno, CA

Customer service agent was rude and obnoxious. Harnessing debt collection calls when my account wasn't past due. The auto payment penalty charge is unfair and discriminating Exploitation of customers!

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for reaching out, Jonathan. We are sorry to hear that this was your experience with Sunrun. This is not the Sunrun norm. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! We would be happy to further investigate this matter. Please private message me your contact information.

May. 25th, 2018

Mike Bordenave Pleasanton, CA

I am in the process of having SunRun install solar panels on our house. I purchased a 6KW system (not a lease or a Power Purchase Agreement) so I will update this review as the installing progresses. Two issues I am dealing with is that I asked for the inverter and switch to be located inside the garage rather than have that eye sore on the outside of the house. Their plans call for five large electrical panels along the wall in the garage. The second issue I need resolved is the inverter size, they specified a 5KW inverter for a 6.1KW system. Update 01/30/19 The inverter has been changed to a more efficient and properly sized inverter. It was a little more money, but that was due a change I requested. This also resolved the issue with excessive panels being mounted on the house (no additional power monitor meter). I’ll post an update once the installation is complete. So far so good.... Stay tuned...

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Mike, thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your installation expectations. We are so sorry to hear that things are not going smoothly. We have contacted Jeff your Project Coordinator, so he can address your concerns. We will work hard to turn this experience around for you!

Jan. 31st, 2019

Pete Magnolia, NJ

The company that installed my panels is top notch (Castle Energy). If it wasn’t for JR Castle I would have been lost. The system was installed a little over a year ago and so far has done everything I was promised. Now here is where the problem comes in I never had a problem with birds on my roof until these solar panels were installed. When I called SunRun their customer service department told me it was my problem and they could sell me a critter guard for somewhere between $800.00 and $1800.00 dollars. I ask them why it wasn’t offered when they installed the panels and also why should I have to pay for it since I never had a problem until they installed the panels. I ask to speak with a supervisor and was told someone would contact me within two days, that was over a week ago. The customer service is so poor and it is so hard to understand why such a good company has such poor customer service. In my opinion a company can only be as good as it supports the product they sell. I gave customer service one star but they changed it to three.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Pete. Thank you for your response. We could not have known you would experience this wildlife issue as it’s unpredictable and only a very small portion of our customers experience wildlife issues. Our monitoring system will alert us if your system experiences issues. If your system does experience issues, we will investigate the root cause including whether animals caused damage. If animals caused damage, we’ll make the necessary repairs to get your system back up and running at its full potential. While Sunun takes care of system insurance, maintenance and production, Sunrun’s warranty does not cover wildlife you’re interested, we can recommend a local partner of ours in your area who offers a service to install a critter guard around the perimeter of the array to prevent animals from getting under the panels.

Jan. 25th, 2019

Victor O Fresno, CA

Company itself is good. The install team was great however the sales rep Jed S doesn’t reply to calls after the sale has been made. I was promised by him critter guards but they were never installed. Tried to contact him several times regarding this, a couple times he said that he will let sunrun know about it but they never did anything. Then he just stopped answering messages and calls. Same goes for one of the office girls she asked me to send her pictures of the critter problem then stoped responding. All I received was a third party company estimate for installing the critter guards. Update: so Sunrun sent a message asking for my information to contact me regarding my concerns but have failed to contact me so I guess i will be dropping another star from my review

Reply from Sunrun

We certainly hate to hear this Victor. We want to help with your situation and initiate our goal of providing a positive customer experience. We have shared your experience with our leadership team. Please feel free to message us your contact information and we can look into your critter guard concerns.

Jan. 3rd, 2019

Virginia Curcio Plymouth, MA

Its early in the process for me. Just finished up w/the sales rep and scheduled the 1st inspection. Couple of things: 1) the sales pitch was way too long. It took almost 5 hours: one whole afternoon. The sales rep did not let me read the contract, although he did seem to highlight the salient point. The inspection appointment was scheduled; but I lost track of the appointment time. I emailed the rep to confirm the appointment but he never got back to me. As a result I missed the inspection appointment. Subsequently I did get a call from Customer Service rescheduling the appointment. Not a very auspicious start. Hopefully the rest will go smoothly.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Virginia C. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your communication and see that there were some areas of opportunity. This is not the Sunrun norm, we will work hard to make sure going forward you are taken care of and your concerns are addressed in a timely manner. Let's create a planet run by the sun.

Dec. 6th, 2018

John B Hedgepeth San Luis Obispo, CA

I purchased a 3kW system from REC Solar, who had partnered with Sunrun before Sunrun purchased their residential solar part of company in 2014. The details appear on Sunrun's website: "Sunrun and Mainstream Energy Corp. today announced that Sunrun has acquired the residential division of REC Solar, AEE Solar and SnapNrack. The companies represent Mainstream Energy's residential solar sales, design and installation; wholesale distribution; and mounting systems and hardware businesses, respectively. In the commercial market, REC Solar will continue as an independent organization under the legal name REC Solar Commercial Corp. The value of the transaction was not disclosed." Shortly afterward my Fronius inverter failed. First it took me awhile to figure out that REC Solar was not the company I needed to deal with. Once I discovered that I needed to deal with Sunrun, it became a nightmare to find out how to contact them. Bizarrely I discovered that they had an office about 8 miles away from my house. Then they refused to honor the warranty until I produced a copy of my contract. Afterwards they replaced the inverter in a reasonable time period. This was the second replacement in ten years, the limit of REC Solar's warranty. So despite Sunrun's more beneficial warranty, I am stuck with replacing the inverter should it fail again. Overall, I was disappointed that Sunrun had very little documentation about REC Solar's customers, especially me. I think they drug their feet without adequate information. They offered me no additional services or perks like internet supervision or extended warranties. However they did honor their commitment after my showing them the original contract. Minus two stars!!!!

Reply from Sunrun

Hello John B. Thank you for your feedback. We understand your situation with Sunrun was different, and we appreciate your willingness to work with us through the process. Working to assist and address our customer's needs is what we strive. Feel free to reach out to us if have any questions or concerns.

Nov. 7th, 2018

Frene Ignacio Glendale, AZ

1. My first call to inquire about Sunrun was to COSTCO where I picked up a brochure . My husband and I were talking solar system for our house because electric is getting higher every year from SRP. Costco said that Sunrun is only for COSTCO members. We were not , we are using our employers company Costco card. So I google for the 5 best solar company in AZ. I found Sunrun as No. 1 in the list. So I called, the lady that answered the phone asked some information about our location and the electric company. She told me that Sunrun does not deal with SRP because SRP are difficult to work with. Okay and thanked her for the info.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Frene I.We sincerely apologize for the lack of communication and service surrounding this matter. Please rest assure this is-not how we do business and we'll work to turn this experience around.

Oct. 2nd, 2018

George Tausiani Sun City, AZ

Not sure yet...salesman said we could lower the temp. on our thermostat as we will not be on the APS Grid anymore.....so we lowered it a couple of degrees and now have a bill with APS for $126 and $135 with Sunrun....which is more than I paid last year at this time...I’ll give it a few months and if it continues, I’ll have to see an attorney.....don’t believe the sales person as he’s trying to make a living...also, the installation was shabby...had to call them out a few times to make adjustments. Saw that some flashing was coming up and reported it again.....no action yet and it’s been about 3 weeks...

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your feedback, George T. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! This begins with our unwavering dedication to delivering customer service that meets your needs. I see your system is set up to generate 13,488 kWh the first year. Your pre solar usage is 12,996 kWh. We're set up to cover 104% of your utility bill. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Aug. 13th, 2018

Ted Larkin Norton, MA

Ok at best. Sunrun holds our lease since our original solar company called sungevity went bankrupt a few years ago. Repairs in Massachusetts are not performed by sunrun. They use an independent third party repair center which did not install the panels. Took sun run and or their repair center sun system technology four months to repair our solar system under warranty. They’re a complete joke when your system breaks. A lot of stress and headaches. Their right had doesn’t talk to the left hand so to speak. I would only use a local solar installer over sun run or sungevity in my next twenty year lease. Good luck.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your feedback Ted. Setting the standard in outstanding service is something we (seriously) obsess over. We are sorry to hear this was not the case. We do have techs available in MA to service our systems, and if we don't have one available we can contact a partner to help service our systems. We do it in good faith to make sure we serve our customers in a timely manner. We work too hard to make sure the system is producing, as well as making sure we fix the problem if the system experience underproduction. You're protected by the performance guarantee during the time you're experiencing service issues. We will provide your feedback to our service leadership team.

Jun. 28th, 2018

Donald Barclay Merced, CA

The system works well and the is price fair. I’m leasing, so I didn’t get the big tax break, but on the other hand I don’t have my own (or borrowed) money tied up in the system. It’s all about how the math works as to whether or not buying is a better deal than leasing. One of the gotchas of solar is that once a year the power company hits you with a true up bill. Historically, my annual hit has been $1,000. This year it was $2,500. Why? Because last summer, unbeknownst to me, my system sopped producing electricity. Sunrun is supposed to monitor that. They didn’t. I only found out because a tree guy I had hired told me that he noticed a red light on my system. I contacted Sunrun, and by the time it was all over it still took several months to get the problem fixed. When I got the mega-bill for the annual true up, Sunrun offered me $50. I figure they owe me $1,500. I’m sending them a demand letter. If they don’t respond appropriately, I’m getting a lawyer and going after them.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication Donald B. We are so sorry to hear about your service issue, we are also glad to hear it has been resolved. Sunrun offers to lease or purchase the system, we offer these options to fit the needs of any consumer deciding to go solar. In your case you are leasing, and Sunrun covers the services and maintained of the system. As a Sunrun customer, you are protected by our performance guarantee. This guarantees that you will never pay for electricity that you do not receive. On every anniversary of the In-Service Date 12/17/2013, Sunrun will calculate the "Actual Output" of the system. If the actual output is less than the guaranteed output for that anniversary date listed in Exhibit A then Sunrun will issue a refund. This refund is calculated by subtracting the actual output from the guaranteed output and then multiplying by the refund rate listed for that year in Exhibit A. For example, if in year 6 the system was expected to generate 42,000 kWh cumulatively and actual generation was 41,500 kWh, we will credit your account based on the 500 kWh the system fell short multiplied by your refund rate, i.e. 500 kWh x $0.13 = $65. Looking at your account you have received a Performance Guarantee credit of $990.47 on can view this credit online on , and please feel free to private message me with any question you may have.

Feb. 12th, 2018

John Mascio Jr

Talking about Sunrun Solar. We meet with the reps. from that company. The system sounded real good . So we had it installed. Everything went fine with that end of the deal. We had a lot of calls from Sunrun while this end of the deal was going on. After the hook up that seems to be the end of all the calls from them. The system was suppose to take a day to install . it took four days. Haven't heard from them since. We have tried to contact the reps. that had contacted us though the whole setup approx. for 2 weeks now. We had question about the billing. Needless to say as of now we haven't heard a word from any of them . Seems like once they had there system installed, that was the end of it. They didn't care about you anymore .At least they could have the decency to return our calls. though out the installation they promised us a gift card for 350.00 dollars for the mix up in billing. Never got that. Made three or four calls to Ellen and the same to JC, leaving voice messages with both. Seems like they moved out from the face of the earth . If you are not able to contact your company. maybe they are not worth having. John PS Still has nothing been done. after all the promises

James Schneider San Diego, CA

#1 Sunrun sent us an email requesting a $500 down payment after the salesman from Smart Energy specifically stated that there would be no down payment. Apparently these two companies were not on the same page. #2 after the panels were installed (before inverter installation) I discovered a hypodermic syringe on my driveway and brought it to the attention of Smart Energy ownership. #3 after final inspection by the county building inspector I discovered 20 - 1/4" Holes drilled into the wrong pitch of the roof. They had been calked and were highly visible from our pool area. The mishap was not disclosed to the inspector or us. #4 I finally got an in home 1 hour visit from the owner of Smart Energy and discussed how I would like the remediation to take place. I would have a roofer of my choice completely remove shingles and paper and re install the roofing. This cost would be covered by Smart Energy directly. The job is complete and we are up and running. I received a call from Greensky and discussed payment. I am anxious to see subsequent bills to verify my savings. James and Ruth Schneider

Al Addis

Had two problems with leaks as a result of panel mount installers missing roof studs. Had to pay for a service call to fix one of the leaks. Otherwise OK.

Anonymous Bluffton, SC

I am not happy with the outcome of the solar energy panels that I am receiving. I want to know why every year I am below the average energy levels for producing solar?!

Michelle Winchester, CA

Because it would have been a zero if not for Tommy Fox and his intervention to get system fixed for the 3rd time!!!! And Travis for his excellent field service and knowledge

Anonymous San Jacinto, CA

when I got it I was told my electric bill would be no more than 11 dollars a month, I have paid over 50 dollares the last 2 month on top of my SunRun bill.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication. The Sunrun invoice will have the total amount produced. Your utility bill will show how much excess energy was pushed to the utility grid and stored as a credit. Your utility bill will also detail how much additional energy you needed to purchase from the utility.

Sep. 17th, 2018

Mario Helmetta, NJ

Sales person was told me that we will pay some amount of money every month. Reality is, we pay to Sunrun and separate check to utilitie company every month

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for reaching out to us, Mario. We certainly hate to hear this. We want to help with your situation and initiate our goal of providing a positive customer experience. Keep in mind that the size of your utility bill is based on your usage. If your bill is higher than last year, you may be using more power than last year. Since your Sunrun rate is lower than that of your utility, that means you'd be paying even more for your current usage without solar. In other words, you're still saving.

Sep. 4th, 2018

Paul

I now have a pigeon problem thanks to having solar panels. I am not the only person who experienced this. SunRun should have been upfront about this issue.

Reply from Sunrun

This is not the Sunrun norm, and we would love an opportunity to review what went wrong here so that we may provide the necessary feedback to our team. Please private message us your contact information.