Previously known as Vision Solar, ION Solar is a full-service solar provider that was founded in 2013. Full-service includes a custom-designed system, all permitting, installation, inspection, and system maintenance.

ION Solar aims to offer affordable solar solutions that give customers the benefits of solar with little or no up-front costs. The company's services are currently available in California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
4.1
#2 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• No Subcontracting
  • Maintenance is Included
  • Increased Home Value
  • System Monitoring

No Subcontracting

ION Solar does not outsource any of its installations, which is good because the company will then have full control over who is in and around your home and your family.

If you ever come across a company that does use subcontractors for any part of the project, we would suggest finding another solar company to do business with—it's just too risky. While the solar company itself might be licensed, the subcontractors might not be. Additionally, the more people who are involved in the project, the bigger chance there is for miscommunication and lack of quality.

Maintenance is Included

ION Solar states that the system they provide you includes free maintenance and repairs for the entire life of the contract.

In reality, solar panels don't require much maintenance other than being sprayed down with water every few months to keep the dust and dirt buildup that could limit sunlight off of them.

However, if something does happen, ION Solar will be there to take care of it for you.

Increased Home Value

Installing solar panels will increase the value of your home and, according to ION Solar, if you ever sell your home, the company will transfer your solar agreement to the new owner. Therefore, having a solar system that is already in place and transferable will automatically increase your home's value and could make it easier to sell.

System Monitoring

Another beneficial feature ION Solar offers is system monitoring.  Unfortunately, the company doesn't specify exactly what that monitoring entails, whether it's for production, usage, or both.  Obviously, it's to your benefit to have both.

However, ION Solar states that it will monitor your system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If there's ever a problem, the company will know about it and send a technician out immediately.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Limited Availability

Unfortunately, ION Solar's availability is relatively limited; the company only offers its services in six states: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

Customers who live outside of this service area won't be able to take advantage of the company's services.

Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Many customers have reported being lured in to ION Solar by an offer of a "free" solar system and were told there was "no catch".

However, apparently this is just a marketing tactic to get people to sign up for the company's lease program. This is definitely a deceptive marketing tactic, which tarnishes the company's reputation and may result in loss of client trust.

The Bottom Line

ION Solar does not subcontract any of its work and offers system maintenance and monitoring.

However, the company's availability is limited to only six states and its marketing practices are questionable.

View Best Solar Companies

Liz
October 11th, 2019 Pflugerville, TX DETAILS

We've had the system for about a month. It looks great and I'm anxious to see the how it does through the winter and into the peak of next summer. Ion was easy to work with and great at communicating. I used their app during the pre-install process and love the Enlighten app that shows what the individual panels each produce, today's current production vs yesterdays, and monthy/annual trends.

Oct 11, 2019

We appreciate your kind words, Elizabeth. We're happy to hear you're pleased with the appearance of the panels and have found the apps helpful. Thanks for the review!

Susan D
October 9th, 2019 Aurora, CO

It has been an excellent experience with Ion Solar. Every step of the way was easy for me and thorough by them. Very professional, respectful and pleasant to work with. Additionally, I look forward to years of energy savings and a smaller footprint. Highly recommend Ion Solar.

Sep 05, 2019

Susan, thank you for the 5-star review! We are so happy that Keaton & Hunter were able to make things quick and easy for you. Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

Wayne Gordon
October 3rd, 2019 Littleton, CO

A truly amazing company with equally amazing representatives. From the initial doorway encounter to the in-home advisor meeting, it was pleasant, informative, and non-pushy. They let the product and their program sell itself. If you've been considering solar and have been on the fence, give these guys a call, you won't regret it.

Oct 04, 2019

We appreciate your kind words, Wayne. This review made our day! Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

TAMMY BAKER
October 1st, 2019 Hampton, VA

Well we signed up on August 5, 2019 and they finished the install on September 27, 2019. System is up and running. We had a couple if hick ups along the way, but every one was very helpful. My PM Andrew Floyd was so understanding with me and all my crazy questions. They did every thing they said they were going to do. The app on my phone help me to understand the process and a little learning.

Oct 04, 2019

Tammy, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us! Your Project Manager is here to serve as your liaison, so we're thrilled to hear Andrew was helpful and informative. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Julie Pagel
September 26th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Just signed up, but so far the people we have dealt with have been clear, concise and very helpful!!

Oct 04, 2019

Julie, that's what we love to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If there is anything we can do for you moving forward please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider.

David E Frick
September 23rd, 2019 Chesapeake, VA DETAILS

Fast, professional and courteous. Very efficient in the installation. Cleaned the area they worked. Kept me informed of any changes in the design and why the change.

Sep 23, 2019

Thanks for your kind words, David! Welcome to the ION Solar family!

Richard Wollesen
September 23rd, 2019 Berthoud, CO

All good all contacts with ION people have great.

Sep 23, 2019

Thanks so much for the review, Richard!

Preston
September 23rd, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

From the beginning to the end, the process was very easy and transparent. I was constantly provided updates by everyone involved in my homes solar project. I have nothing to complain about, it was a great experience!

Sep 23, 2019

Preston, we're thrilled to hear it was an easy and transparent process - that is what we aim to deliver! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Anthony
September 23rd, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I’ll get to the point, the communication is lacking regards to the actual panels that were installed. We asked for a clean design, Ion Solar did NOT live up to what they promised as far as placement. The initial placement draft was shown to us, at that time we requested a different placement as we wanted a little more organization. So, Anthony R presented a more cleaner design, which we agreed on. Well, they installed neither of the two!! We are have lots of patience, but still, to this day, we haven’t heard anything from Ion Solar about this. We feel that that are taking their time, hoping we will forget about the placement and move on!! We spent a LOT of money on these panels. Everything else with ION has been pleasant, but this is soo disappointing in a company to do this to a customer!! Please keep an eye on the installation!!! I hope this is not happening regularly!!

Oct 04, 2019

Anthony, we're sorry to hear this has been your experience. We understand how disappointing this is. Can you please email your review and project address to [email protected]? We would love to look into this further for you. Thank you for letting us know about this issue we appreciate the honest feedback.

Nicole
September 18th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

This has thus far been the worst experience. The complete lack of response from anyone including the project manager is completely ridiculous and the little bit of responses we're getting have been to blame the sales rep which definitely is not my issue. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Sep 19, 2019

Nicole, we regret to say that we dropped the ball on communication. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Our Operations Director and Area Manager in Las Vegas are keeping a close eye on your project to ensure that there is clear, prompt communication moving forward between you and our team.

Terri Musso
September 17th, 2019 Pueblo, CO

Install done very quickly and installers very friendly.

Sep 19, 2019

Terri, we appreciate your kind remarks regarding our install crew. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Welcome to the ION Solar family!

FRR
September 17th, 2019 Placitas, NM

Just made decision to go with Ion Solar. Compared Ion with three other top companies. Quality hardware across all four and included other incentives. I'm buying system outright, so key points in my decision were quality of product, price, and technical knowledge of sales rep. In addition to being punctual, professional, and low pressure; had very strong technical knowledge of products and add-ons that set him apart from rest. Specific info on setting up emergency power system and alternative data transmission technology bypassing my internet service. He went above-and-beyond to research how inverter transmits data. Key selling point.

Sep 19, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our goal is to help our customers feel informed and confident when they make the switch to solar. We're thrilled to hear your Energy Consultant went above and beyond. Thank you for trusting ION as your solar provider!

Keslie
September 17th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

ION Solar has been easy to work with. They communicate well with their customers. I love their app for checking progress during installation and then energy use going forward. We've had a great experience.

Sep 19, 2019

Kelsie, thank you for the wonderful review. We appreciate your feedback about the app. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Kimberly
September 17th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Our Energy Advisor & Project Manager were great!

Sep 19, 2019

We appreciate your kind remarks, Kimberly. Thanks for the review!

J Beck
September 12th, 2019 Sandy, TX DETAILS

Great experience. Was well informed about how the system would work and benefit me and my property, explained the tax credit, and answered any questions during the installation process in a professional friendly manner.

Sep 13, 2019

We appreciate the review, J. Thank you for trusting ION as your solar provider!

STEPHANIE PINELLO
September 9th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Fantastic company! I am very happy with a job well done!

Sep 09, 2019

Thank you for the wonderful review, Stephanie. And THANK YOU for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Hon Bray
September 6th, 2019 Pueblo, CO DETAILS

Very professional and no pressure. Common sense approach. My power bill went from over 200 per month to 105 per month. I also get to run my AC all day all night. Never run out of power and bill never goes up. Veteran friendly as well.

Sep 06, 2019

Hon, thanks for leaving such a wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear how much money you are saving each month on your energy costs. Thank you for trusting ION as your solar provider!

Jennifer Seifert
September 6th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

The Ion sales staff promised many thing that were false. I bought the solar panels for 30K under the promise that it would increase the value of my home and save me money. Neither has come true, in fact, I have a current offer on my home that would have sold a week ago if I wouldn't have bought the solar panels. Basically, if you put them on your house, consider them a gift to your next buyers because you will not see ANY return on it. 30K is a hard "housewarming gift" to swallow when you are trying to break even on a home sale. Ion's staff could care less. They were paid and don't care that I was lied to. I have the actual sheet with the false accusations on it. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB also. Don't buy from them unless you KNOW you will not be reselling your home, ever.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Jennifer, we're sorry to hear that you feel mislead. We understand what a frustrating situation this is. Our Legacy department has a case open on this issue, and they are working to assist you the best they can through this process.

Walt Sadowski
September 4th, 2019 Henderson, NV

Professional, courteous and friendly also timely.

Sep 04, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We're grateful for your feedback and glad to hear we are on the right track!

Peter Morrison
September 4th, 2019 Castle Rock, CO DETAILS

Great team, great experience. They work really well to address all concerns up front, and then execute on the plan.

Sep 04, 2019

Thanks for the review, Peter! We're glad to hear that you are happy with your experience. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Kevin Jones
September 4th, 2019 Castle Rock, CO

Overall We are pleased to do business with ION Solar. We had a couple minor issues with the install but Ion solar fixed them the very same day that the problem was discovered.

Sep 04, 2019

We appreciate your balanced and fair review. We're glad everything was fixed in a timely manner. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

September 4th, 2019 Wellington, CO

Excellent communication. Quick to respond to questions.

Sep 04, 2019

We appreciate your kind words. Thanks for the review!

Brett Mielcarek
August 29th, 2019 Castle Rock, CO DETAILS

My 4 hour installation is going on weeks. The installers left my gate open allowing my dog to run away. My project manager Lorrente showed 0 compassion

Aug 30, 2019

Brett, we're sorry to hear about your experience, and we completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make switching to solar easy for our customers, but sometimes we do make mistakes. We regret to say that we dropped the ball on your project. The Manager over your area has been informed and will be in contact with you so we can move your project forward in a satisfactory manner. Thank you for providing your feedback!

Joan
August 29th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

My experience with this company was very satisfying, the persons that was assigned to me was very polite, courteous and professional. They answered my questions in a timely manner, would certainly recommend them

Aug 29, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Joan. Our team works very diligently, and your words will provide them with great encouragement. Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

Teresita Totten
August 28th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Me and my family are very satisfied with the service we received from the sales department to the final installment crew. Every one from each department showed their utmost professionalism, knowledge and their respective skills. This is our very first time to have solar and we are all looking forward to the returns of this major investment. It's all worth it!!

Aug 29, 2019

We're incredibly grateful that you took the time to leave us this review, Teresita. We take pride in providing a premium experience for our customers, and we're overjoyed to receive your compliments and appreciation. Please take advantage of our referral program. For every family, friend, or neighbor you refer that makes the switch to solar, you receive a referral bonus. We will ensure they all enjoy the same quality of service as you have. Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

Lester Anderson
August 28th, 2019 Castle Rock, CO DETAILS

Very professional, informative people and happy to do their job

Aug 29, 2019

Thank you for leaving such a nice review, Lester. We're glad that you were happy with our services. Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

Mike Bell
August 28th, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA

The Ion Solar team I worked with was top notch. From the initial interview until the installation I was informed of the status of the project. I can now use the iPhone app to see what my system is producing. I have highly recommended Ion Solar to friends and family! Mike

Aug 29, 2019

Wow! Thank you for this wonderful review, Mike. We're thrilled to hear your experience with our team was a positive one. We appreciate you spreading the good word. Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

Yanci McIntyre
August 26th, 2019 Hampton, VA DETAILS

Professional and transparent for the entire process. No complaints. They kept me updated and answered any and all questions I had in a friendly manner.

Aug 29, 2019

Thanks for the review, Yanci. We work hard to keep our customers informed and up-to-date on their project timeline, so it means a lot to hear this. Enjoy your solar system!

Jenny
August 26th, 2019 Chesapeake, VA DETAILS

Installation was quick , the staff was friendly and professional and the best part is we are saving money!!

Aug 29, 2019

Jenny, we appreciate your kind words. It put a smile on our faces to hear you are saving money! Our goal is to make solar simple and affordable for homeowners. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Joey
August 26th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

They installed the lines/conduit and it was not run in the best way in an area we entertain in. They also cut our door jam to fit the conduit in a way that was easiest for them. They came back out to fix it after my husband complained and STILL did not do what was asked.

Aug 29, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about this, Joey. Our customer's satisfaction is a top priority, and we can assure you we are looking into this. Your Project Manager will be reaching out shortly. Thank you for your patience!

Yoennis Garrido Vargas
August 26th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Highly competitive and reliable company. It has innovative solar panels that help improve the performance and durability of the installed system. And as for the aesthetics of the installation, they are the best. 100% recommended.

Aug 29, 2019

Yoennis, thank you for the wonderful review! We pride ourselves on being a premium solar provider using only the best equipment - including some of the highest-rated panels and inverters available. We're so happy to hear you are happy with our service and our product! Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

Jeannie
August 23rd, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

In spite of unrelated issues, a good experience. I was kept informed every step of the way, and they were open and honest.

Aug 23, 2019

Our team here at ION is thrilled to hear such good feedback, and we're proud to provide a premium solar experience for our customers. We appreciate your kind remarks, Jeannie. Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

Lance Kotschwar
August 22nd, 2019 Greeley, CO DETAILS

process was seamless and smooth start to finish; everything was well-planned and communicated. people are all very nice, and very competent

Aug 23, 2019

Hearing that you had a "seamless and smooth" process is the best thing we could hope for! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, Lance. Congratulations on your new solar system!

N Love
August 22nd, 2019 Kyle, TX DETAILS

Salesman, Project Manager, and Installation team were all professional and helpful. The team that assigns where installation teams go each day kept trying to pull the installation team off of my project, which caused almost a week delay. Having said that, I am pleased with the end results.

Aug 23, 2019

Thanks for the review, Kyle! We appreciate your feedback regarding our scheduling team - we will pass that information along. Thank you for choosing ION as your Solar provider!

Josue Munoz
August 21st, 2019 Pflugerville, TX DETAILS

Even though there were some misunderstandings between the salesperson and myself, everything turned out great. Make sure everything you discuss is on the contract. In my case, it was the critter guard. ION Solar worked hard to make it right. Perfect timing for me to get them working, my last month's bill was cut in half even with family visiting and the blazing Texas heat.

Aug 21, 2019

We appreciate the feedback, Josue. We're sorry to hear that there were some initial misunderstandings. However, we are thrilled to hear that you are already seeing the savings! Thank you for choosing ION Solar!

Ethan Kurtzer
August 21st, 2019 Eaton, CO

Super friendly. Communication has been great.

Aug 21, 2019

Thank you, Ethan! We appreciate your kind words.

Jonathan K
August 21st, 2019 Pflugerville, TX DETAILS

Ion solar is absolutely premium. I could not be happier with their level of service and professionalism. They took care of everything and kept me in the loop the whole time. My project manager Adam really went above and beyond to help me out. Even when I screwed up with my HOA he jumped in and got things all straightened out. The installation was a breeze. The techs that did the installation arrived on time and were very courteous and accommodating. They left in the house and yard in perfect condition.

Aug 21, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words! Jonathon. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review - and we agree, Adam truly is a gem to have on our team! Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

KerryH
August 21st, 2019 Boerne, TX

Great low-stress salesperson. Wonderful installers. A little disconnect with corporate in scheduling, after awaiting parts, but finally resolved. Glad to have it complete, and ready to save money!

Aug 21, 2019

Thanks for the review, Kerry. We're sorry to hear that there was some disconnect regarding scheduling but appreciate your feedback. Thank you for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Jackie L Harrison
August 21st, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA

The crew that installed my system were very professonal and knowageable about the installation.

Aug 21, 2019

Hey, Jackie! Thank you for taking the time to leave us this great review; our install crew in Virginia will be happy to read what you wrote. Welcome to the ION Solar family!

Pamela Anderson-Zerr
August 21st, 2019 Parker, CO

ION Solar is a wonderful company. The sales staff was great. The staff kept me informed every step of the way. The install was so smooth. Very friendly staff! Great job!

Aug 21, 2019

Thank you for this wonderful review, Pamela. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Welcome to the ION Solar family!

Paul and Evelyn Hanneman
August 21st, 2019 DETAILS

Ion's staff and information were exceptional - informative, on time, technically expert, and friendly to boot. We were impressed by the positive national reviews and by the fact that Ion does all its own work - no subcontracting. They answered all our questions and were in touch with us by email and phone throughout the whole process. We give them the highest recommendation. We're delighted with the results and are having fun watching our electric meter run backwards!

Aug 21, 2019

Hello, Paul and Evelyn! Thank you for your kinds remarks. As a full-service solar company, we work hard to ensure a smooth switch so solar - giving our customers the experience they deserve, so this review means a lot to us. Cheers to many years of watching the electric meter run backward!

Aimee Knox
August 20th, 2019

Great experience all the way through. Everything was on time with the installation with no problems along the way. I cant wait to see my electric bill lower! Great company to deal with.

Aug 21, 2019

Hi Aimee, thanks for the review! We are thrilled to hear that you were happy with the solar installation and that everything went smoothly. We are excited for you to see your solar savings!

Annette S
August 20th, 2019 Edgewood, NM

Ion solar installed solar for my new, total electric home. I am very happy with it and the teams sent out were very professional.

Aug 21, 2019

Annette, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to hear that your solar experience has been a positive one. Cheers to a world powered by clean, renewable energy!

Fallen
August 20th, 2019 Hephzibah, GA

Blends well with house. Clean rooftop appearance. Friendly associates. Best investment made.

Aug 21, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We pride ourselves on using premium black-on-black panels, so your comment about the clean appearance of your panels put a smile on our faces! Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

Daniel W. Hutchinson
August 20th, 2019 New Braunfels, TX

ION Solar recently installed a solar system on my home in New Braunfels, Texas, and I am very pleased and happy to say these people at ION are a pleasure to work with. From initial contract/sales presentation throughout installation, even an after installation inspection, has been done with the upmost courtesy and professionalism I highly recommend ION Solar.

Aug 21, 2019

Thank you for the awesome review, Daniel! We work hard to meet our customer's expectations, and we're happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Cheers!

Gerardo Magallanes
August 20th, 2019 Pflugerville, TX

Everything went perfectly fine I love my solar panels

Aug 21, 2019

Thanks for the review, Gerardo! Welcome to the ION Solar family!

Derrick Adajar
August 20th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Our salesperson was Melvin and he did an amazing job answering all of our questions after providing a thorough breakdown of what Ion Solar can do for us. They are quick to respond to our texts/calls/and e-mails and are on top of what we need to keep the process moving. And the app is pretty cool too! We are able to see the progress and have a peace of mind knowing they are doing their best to get our equipment up and running. Thank you!

Aug 21, 2019

Thanks for the review, Derrick! Our representatives work hard to ensure that our customers feel confident and informed when deciding to switch to solar, so this review will mean a lot to Melvin. We're excited to pass your kind remarks onto him! Welcome to the ION Solar family!

Taralyn
August 20th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Adam S was our Project Manager. He and the team from the technicians, electricians, to sales associates have been great! Everyone was courteous and patient with working around our busy schedules.

Aug 21, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Taralyn! We are so happy to hear that our team was there for you every step of the way. Thanks for choosing ION as your solar provider!

Andy
August 11th, 2019 Chesapeake, VA DETAILS

I would rate my experience with ION as excellent. From the beginning to the end process went very smoothly. My Team from salesperson Seth was very convincing about the value and benefits of going Solar with ION. My PM Cathie support was excellent and she ensure the whole process from Site survey to installation went smoothly and I experience no issues. She always responded to my emails or voice messages very promptly. She resolved my inquiries in a timely manner. The installation Team arrive on time like I was told which was a very important issue for me. The Installation ION Team were professional and very courteous. I would highly recommend the ION Team who did my installation, (Tyler , Travis , Ross, and Joseph ) to any of ION’s future customers. They deserve all the credit, very easy to communicate with and fast response. I appreciated the way the project was handled. I had full confidence in the Team and the work was spectacular. I would highly recommend ION solar to anyone seeking an American owned and operated company. Majority of the products used are made in the USA proudly. Thank you, ION, for everything and I will continue to get the word out!

Aug 15, 2019

Hi, Andy. We're so happy to hear you've had a great experience with your project manager, Cathie. We take pride knowing that our customers are happy with our service. Thanks for choosing ION Solar!

Heather Edwards
August 1st, 2019 Parker, CO

Very Professional and they made us feel like we were the only customers