Previously known as Vision Solar, ION Solar is a full-service solar provider that was founded in 2013. Full-service includes a custom-designed system, all permitting, installation, inspection, and system maintenance.

ION Solar aims to offer affordable solar solutions that give customers the benefits of solar with little or no up-front costs. The company's services are currently available in California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

#1 SunPower chevron_right
#2 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9
#3 Zenernet chevron_right

The Good

• No Subcontracting
  • Maintenance is Included
  • Increased Home Value
  • System Monitoring

No Subcontracting

ION Solar does not outsource any of its installations, which is good because the company will then have full control over who is in and around your home and your family.

If you ever come across a company that does use subcontractors for any part of the project, we would suggest finding another solar company to do business with—it's just too risky. While the solar company itself might be licensed, the subcontractors might not be. Additionally, the more people who are involved in the project, the bigger chance there is for miscommunication and lack of quality.

Maintenance is Included

ION Solar states that the system they provide you includes free maintenance and repairs for the entire life of the contract.

In reality, solar panels don't require much maintenance other than being sprayed down with water every few months to keep the dust and dirt buildup that could limit sunlight off of them.

However, if something does happen, ION Solar will be there to take care of it for you.

Increased Home Value

Installing solar panels will increase the value of your home and, according to ION Solar, if you ever sell your home, the company will transfer your solar agreement to the new owner. Therefore, having a solar system that is already in place and transferable will automatically increase your home's value and could make it easier to sell.

System Monitoring

Another beneficial feature ION Solar offers is system monitoring.  Unfortunately, the company doesn't specify exactly what that monitoring entails, whether it's for production, usage, or both.  Obviously, it's to your benefit to have both.

However, ION Solar states that it will monitor your system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If there's ever a problem, the company will know about it and send a technician out immediately.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Limited Availability

Unfortunately, ION Solar's availability is relatively limited; the company only offers its services in six states: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

Customers who live outside of this service area won't be able to take advantage of the company's services.

Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Many customers have reported being lured in to ION Solar by an offer of a "free" solar system and were told there was "no catch".

However, apparently this is just a marketing tactic to get people to sign up for the company's lease program. This is definitely a deceptive marketing tactic, which tarnishes the company's reputation and may result in loss of client trust.

The Bottom Line

ION Solar does not subcontract any of its work and offers system maintenance and monitoring.

However, the company's availability is limited to only six states and its marketing practices are questionable.

View Best Solar Companies

Mike Hood

April 8th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our sales and installation of our ION solar system was really flawless by the whole team. We were really very impressed with Garett our project manager he was in constant contact making sure we knew everything from start to finish, our instillation crew was very pleasant and did an awesome job we flew a drone up to inspect it and it was beautiful. Even the city inspector was impressed with the technology of having the power inverter on each panel he went on about how much better that was. And James our sales manager was very knowledgeable thank you team!

Andrew Crosby

April 7th, 2020 Severance, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company and great experience all around. Our solar is up and running and harnessing the power of the sun to make our lives easier. The company was easy to work with, timely in their scheduled appointments, and communicated regularly with us to make sure the installation process went smoothly. The installation of the panels was done in a timely manner, however, the electric company took a long time installing the meter, but I will not fault Ion Solar for this, as that process was out of their hands. The quality of the product and their outstanding customer service would be two of their best qualities as a company. I would highly recommend going with Ion Solar if you are in the market for clean energy!

Julie Stephens

April 1st, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our solar but they could use some work on communication. The last month had the best communication.

Gary

March 26th, 2020 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I held off for many years on having solar panels installed on my roof. Many solar panel salesmen came to my door but none of them had the kind of system that I was looking for. I wanted solar panels that are wired in parallel so that if one solar panel had an issue causing it to not provide energy properly, then the rest of the system will still produce energy. ION Solar had that system. The solar panels also report their energy production so that I can see it on line. I wanted a solar panel installation that looked good. I did not like seeing the silver conduit that went down from the solar panels and around the house to a large inverter, control box and a cut-off switch. ION Solar has an inverter attached to each solar panel and the output of the inverters is sent into the attic so that I cannot see the silver conduit. From the attic ION Solar sends the electricity through conduit under the eves of the house and under the eves of my garage so that it is less noticeable. Then ION Solar painted the conduit so that it matches the color of my house. On the side of my garage I have a solar controller box and an emergency cut-off box. That is it. That was appealing to me. Some solar companies offer ‘free solar panels’ and they will indeed install them for free but then there is a catch. There is either a lease, a loan or you pay for the power that the solar panels produce, called Power Purchase Agreement. Either way you look at it, these other schemes are more expensive in the long run than just purchasing them outright and with ION Solar I can get an interest rate of 3.99% do to that. The Federal Government is offering an Investment Tax Credit (ITC) that you can claim on your federal income taxes, which currently amounts to 26% of the total cost. DATE INVESTMENT TAX CREDIT 31 DEC 2019 30% January 2020 26% January 2021 22% 0% Should I decide to sell my house, the solar panels will increase the value of the house 3% to 4%, and the big plus is that the amount remaining on the installation loan can be transferred to the new owner of my house. Here in Nevada there is “Net Metering”. You can google that to understand it. DATE PURCHASE BACK RATE 15 June 2017 95% August 2018 88% 28 Jun 2019 81% Unknown Date 75% I went for ION Solar and I am proud of the solar panels that I own and the installation looks good. Paying back the cost is like purchasing a car. I don’t think that it is going to be that difficult.

Halley King

March 11th, 2020 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everything from the consultation to the installation went smoothly. Great company!

Bruce Miller

March 8th, 2020 Englewood, CO

Ion Solar has provided a wonderful experience for installing solar on our home. It does take awhile with city approvals and Xcel Energy installation as well. Please just understand this going in. Our project manager Cole has been efficient and the text messaging updates are nice. I am looking forward to seeing how well the system meets the needs of providing a fossil fuel alternative. Bruce

Stephen Edwards

March 2nd, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently purchased a Solar system for our house from ION Solar. We signed the contract on 12/12/19 and our we received PTO from NV Energy on 2/11/20. The installation was very clean and professionally done. The wiring is installed through the attic leaving a clean and uncluttered installation on the roof. They even when to the extent of painting the electrical conduit that running down the side of the house to the electrical panel to match the color of the house. We also requested "critter guard" as part of the installation ( to prevent pigeons nesting ) and it was installed after we received inspection from the city. After our system was initially turned on after receiving PTO, we were told one of the panels was not reporting and that a service call had been scheduled. It took several service calls to resolve the issue, but in the end all panels are working and generating power. The benefit of having this issue arise during the install has been that we can testify that all panels report and generate power independently, so only those down affect your output and the remaining panels still operate and generate power. So in our case 11 of our 12 panels were working the entire time. I was skeptical about the power generation capabilities of our system, but so far we have generated approximately three days of excess power in a little under a 3 week period. We have received all the incentives we were promised during the contract negotiations. There are cheaper solar installations out there and I do feel we paid for a premium product, but having said that I also do believe we received a premium product. We are currently not producing anywhere near peak power due to it being February and yet our average daily output is almost reaching our estimate annual average. And that is with one panel down for most of that time. We are very happy overall with our experience and final outcome and would recommend ION Solar to others based on our experience.

Ralph Martinez

March 2nd, 2020 Albuquerque, NM

FROM THE VERY 1ST SALESMAN TAD, TO THE SET MAN AND INSTALLERS, INCLUDING CATHY, THE LADY ON THE PHONE. EVERYONE HAS BEEN SPECTACULAR! THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SERVICE!

Chris Martin

March 2nd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ION was great! The salesman was super friendly and knowledgeable (Brandon L). The rest of the crew that showed up for inspection and installation were also very friendly and efficient. I would recommend ION to anyone looking for solar panels.

Michelle R

March 2nd, 2020 San Antonio, TX

I have 0 complaints! Everyone has been so informative and helpful! The customer service has exceeded all expectations. Every single person we've had the pleasure of talking to or meeting has been so kind and fun. The panels look so good on our roof and we're just 2 steps away from going live! I HIGHLY recommend Ion Solar! And I recommend asking for Zach N & Adam S!

Tracylynn Trujillo

March 2nd, 2020 Denver, CO

Loving MY new Ion Solar Panels. Everything ran smoothly with Ion solar and I am pleased with my experience and customer service. Cole T did a great job keeping me informed through the process.

Rod Poole

March 2nd, 2020 San Antonio, TX

Ion Solar kept us in the loop and notified us of every move. From the beginning to ending. Very nice people. Clean reputable work. Absolutely no complaints. Highly recommended.

Perla Murillo

March 2nd, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I personally recommend ION solar for their excellent communication and professionalism since the beginning of the process.

Freid Family

February 26th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very responsive to questions. Friendly install crew.

Jennifer Ellsworth

February 25th, 2020 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ION has been very helpful and friendly. My only complaint so far is that they overscheduled the electrician so my power was off twice as long as it should have been when they installed the panels.

Greg VanHorn

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company has been great to work with. They have been updating us as every step gets done. Ion Solar installation went very good, they were on time, efficient, and very friendly. I would recommend Ion Solar to anyone thinking about going to solar.

Joey Whetstone

February 21st, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

Did an amazing install. Quick and painless

Tanya Layne

February 21st, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional team. Each person I have come in contact with are excited to work for Ion Solar. They have quality work! Highly reccomend.

Alice

February 21st, 2020 Round Rock, TX

They kept me informed during the entire process. Whenever I asked a question it was honestly answered.

Darrin Fox

February 21st, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and the installation was amaxing

Howard E Fitch

February 21st, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The installation of the panels took place in May of 2019. It is now February of 2020 and not approved yet. Secondly the papers that are supposed to be looked at cannot be viewed on the server that I told the young lady I would rather have them sent to a different server. I never received them

David Oltmann

February 19th, 2020 Round Rock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The communication from the company about the whole solar process was great. The Ion Solar team was incredibly professional from the first visit through the installation process. This is a great company.

tom smallwood

February 19th, 2020 Victor, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Technicians showed up on time and quickly got to work. They were focused and worked efficiently. They finished in less time than they estimated. Very happy with the quality of work.

Millie Goynes

February 19th, 2020 Austin, TX

I have really enjoyed every person I have been in contact with. They provided me with a wealth of information of which i had already done research on and the facts lined up. I felt confident in investing my money towards an ION solar system. Thank you for your awesome customer service team.

David Ellis

February 19th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion Solar has done a wonderful job with the Installation of Solar Panels on our home. They look great!

David Reeser

February 19th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were given excellent customer service from Cole T and the people from ION and are extremely pleased with the results. The system is working perfectly.

Leonard Davis

February 19th, 2020 Onancock, VA

They helped me get financed to help me do everything they walk me through every step and made me feel real comfortable doing it I am pleased on everything that they have done from insulation to all the help they gave me

Dan Smith

February 19th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA

Contracted with Ion Solar, our project manager has been in constant contact with us keeping us informed at every step. The installation crew worked for several hours in very adverse weather conditions and were able to come back and finish it the next day. A most professional and courteous company that prides itself on customer service. Have been recommending them to my neighbors.

Melissa Cowles Wyson

February 14th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were extremely easy to work with and gave amazing customer service! They kept us up to date and were actively communicating with us through the entire process. We couldn't be happier!

wilbert umipig

February 13th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great Company!! Service was done very fast with best customer experience.

Larson Billy

February 13th, 2020 Albuquerque, NM

Everything went along perfectly. Great sales team, informed progress information. Great installation team.

george grubbs

February 13th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion solar was very easy to work with. Sales advisor Tyler S was great always kept me informed and always went the extra mile to help me solve problems.

Joe

February 13th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA

From beginning to end the process was easy and very professional. Installers did a great job and answered all my tech questions. I cant wait to see how much money we will save in electric.

Jasmine Kojouri

February 12th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick, reliable, professional, and easy to deal with. Highly recommend.

Scott Tisor

February 12th, 2020 South Jordan, UT

They were very professional and were always there to answer questions, they made me feel very comfortable with the whole process.

Kevin McDaniel

February 12th, 2020 Magna, UT

My installation was completed yesterday, and I am pleased with the communication that was provided throughout the installation process. I am happy to now own an energy-producing home instead of an energy-consuming home.

Lisa

February 12th, 2020 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our experience with Ion Solar and our project manager Jason O has been fantastic. The process was quick, easy and professional from the sales to the turn on of the panels. The install team was exceptional as well. I highly recommend them.

PAUL Versage

February 7th, 2020 Columbia, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Outstanding company ! Stuck to their promises from sales person to installers, to project managers. The most trouble I had was with the power company.

Rhonda

February 7th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company is truthful and information presented is based on facts and sales person was not pushy but impressed me with knowledge.

Susan Kathryn

February 5th, 2020 Norfolk, VA

I had often thought about going solar for some time but was hesitant to take the leap. A very persistent Jordan H made repeated visits until I was able to meet him based on my work schedule, he was great. He answered every question I threw at him and convinced me, showing me the location of my house, how much energy the solar panels would absorb and showed me the savings I would have compared to what I was currently paying my utility company. It was a real eye opener when he said, “Why should you pay to rent electricity? Why not own it?” Which if you think of it made sense. I own my home and would never lease a vehicle. He made sure I knew everything down to the smallest detail before any final decisions were made. There were many incentives that I qualified for which was also great. The friendliness of the staff and efficiency of the company has me informing co-workers and family members. Installation went smoothly and they were very professional. I had someone to answer questions every step of the way. ION so has been the best and very reliable. If you're debating it, don't wait any longer! I would highly recommend ION Solar if you are considering Solar for your home. Thank you ION Solar!

Diana Fisher

February 5th, 2020 Norfolk, VA

The process so far has been very positive. From the man who first knocked on our door to the installers, they have been polite and informative.

Lynnette Gawrys

February 5th, 2020 Newport News, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was extremely please with the process. They kept me informed during every phase. It all went extremely smoothly

Stephanie S

February 5th, 2020 Round Rock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Eric from sales was informative, and not pushy at all. He has been available and has answered my many questions promptly. Installation was fast and professional. Couldn’t be happier thus far.

Josh Straley

February 5th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and great installation team!

Michael Howard

January 28th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ION Solar provides a quality product using a business model that allows the customer to sit back and relax while ION handles all installation, scheduling, permitting and financing. I have never experienced such service in my entire adult life (I'm over 60). All representatives I dealt with were proactive, pleasant and professional. If I wanted to start a business and needed advice on streamlined processes and customer service, ION Solar would be my first stop. Mike H.

carolyn shepard

January 28th, 2020 Chesapeake, VA

Ion is great! The only thing I would suggest to be adjusted is the project manager. After the panels were put on I seem to have come to a stand still due absence of project manager. Thanks to Dax, energy advisor, who was a big help with various issues.

Ced6Linda

January 20th, 2020 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was holding back on the review because I Love my sales person. But Ion Solar has this review coming. We signed since October 2019. It is now almost the mid January of 2020. Our solar system is final install but not running because they failed inspection! But the problem didn’t start there. It took me forever for someone to reach out to us. I have reach out many time to my project manager. Let start with the house inspection. Their representatives who came into our home and had to crawl into our attic had to go through my kids closet. I’m not going to go into detail but the closet was left in a messed. Then after the inspection 2 weeks goes by nothing! I am reaching out via email. Signed since October. I feel like I have to be the one pushing them to put solar on my panel. If I did not love my sales rep who did a great job at his job. I would totally stop the project. Finally installation. It was fast 1 day everything done. Team was nice Friendly. Not problem. Failed inspection! Now I’m reaching out to them for a date and still nothing! No date nothing! We were promised some inventive light energy light bulbs whatever! They sent us the wrong light bulb. Ion solar can’t do anything right and I am highly u satisfied with how they handle our transaction after the contract signing. I have been emailing them for month about them having my phone number wrong on my profile and is still wrong even today, yes I checked. Now we have over $30000.00 of solar panel on our house that isn’t running, a payment that is due in March on a product we never used.

LAWRENCE BRAY JR

January 3rd, 2020 Chesapeake, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ION Solar techs did an excellent job in installing my system. There was some confusion after the installation in getting the inspections (ION changed my project manager). However, everything was completed in a few weeks and my first power bill was half of the normal bill even though the weather was not very cooperative.

Jan 09, 2020

Lawrence, we're happy to hear our team was able to sort out any confusion that came up. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

DON

January 2nd, 2020 Round Rock, TX

Good experience. The did what they said they would do. I will recommend them. The system is up and running and it looks good after the first month.

Jan 09, 2020

Don, thank you for the wonderful review and recommendation!

Lenin Lainez Barahona

January 2nd, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

The energy consultant Mr Anthony R and the Project Manager Mr Connor E were top notch professionals and the crew that came in to install the solar panels as well. Overall, I am ver please with their service from the beginning to the end of this project.

Jan 09, 2020

Lenin, we appreciate your kind words. We will pass your kind remarks onto Anthony and Connor. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review.