Previously known as Vision Solar, ION Solar is a full-service solar energy provider that was founded in 2013. Full-service includes a custom-designed system, all permitting, solar installation, inspection, and solar panel system maintenance.

ION Solar aims to offer affordable solar solutions that give customers the benefits of solar with little or no up-front costs. The company's services are currently available in Colorado, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

#1 SunPower chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 SunPro chevron_right

The Good

• No Subcontracting
  • Maintenance is Included
  • Increased Home Value
  • System Monitoring
  • Awards and Certifications

No Subcontracting

ION Solar does not outsource any of its installations, meaning the company installs every solar panel and inverter itself. Working with a full-service provider like ION Solar generally bodes well for homeowners as the company will then have full control over who is in and around your home and your family.

If you ever come across a company that does use subcontractors for any part of the project, we would suggest finding another solar company to do business with— it's just too risky. While the solar company itself might be licensed, the subcontractors might not be. Additionally, the more people who are involved in the project, the bigger chance there is for miscommunication and lack of quality.

Maintenance is Included

ION Solar states that the system they provide you includes free maintenance and repairs for the entire life of the contract.

In reality, solar panels don't require much maintenance other than being sprayed down with water every few months to keep the dust and dirt buildup that could limit sunlight off of them.

However, if something does happen, ION Solar will be there to take care of it for you.

Increased Home Value

Installing solar panels will increase the value of your home and, according to ION Solar, if you ever sell your home, the company will transfer your solar power agreement to the new owner. Therefore, having a solar system that is already in place and transferable will automatically increase your home's value and could make it easier to sell.

System Monitoring

Another beneficial feature ION Solar offers is system monitoring.  Unfortunately, the company doesn't specify exactly what that monitoring entails, whether it's for production, usage, or both.  Obviously, it's to your benefit to have both.

However, ION Solar states that it will monitor your system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If there's ever a problem, the company will know about it and send a technician out immediately.

Awards and Certifications

ION Solar has been listed as one of America's 500 fastest-growing companies by Inc. Magazine. The company has also been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners, a solar industry-recognized nonprofit organization charged with promoting best practices in solar power.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Limited Availability

Unfortunately, ION Solar's availability is relatively limited; the company only offers its services in eight states:

• Colorado
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virgina

Customers who live outside of this service area won't be able to take advantage of the company's renewable energy services.

Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Many customers have reported being lured in to ION Solar by an offer of a "free" solar system and were told there was "no catch".

However, apparently this is just a marketing tactic to get people to sign up for the company's lease program. This is definitely a deceptive marketing tactic, which tarnishes the company's reputation and may result in loss of client trust.

The Bottom Line

ION Solar does not subcontract any of its work and offers system maintenance and monitoring, and provides several payment options (including a solar lease) to help customers reduce their dependence on fossil fuel. However, the solar installer's availability is limited to eight states and its marketing practices are questionable.

View Best Solar Companies

Andre pacheco

March 5th, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had the best sales experience with my ION AGENT

Ernest Apolinar

March 5th, 2021 San Antonio, TX

I like that they were quick in getting my system up and running

Timothy Sileo

March 4th, 2021 Georgetown, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So happy to have a solar installed on my house and with the electricity I've already been producing it was a great decision. The process with Ion Solar was very smooth and everyone at Ion was super helpful guiding me through the installation process. However, I'm knocking one star off (for now) as there could have been one extra step to double check with HOA approval before scheduling install date but that is both on me and Ion.

Rod Watson

March 3rd, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their installation crew was very professional and it turned on easily. They coordinated with the city and I didn't need to do anything.

Michael Stewart

March 3rd, 2021 Fairfax, VA

After reviewing a number of many companies offering solar, my wife and I elected ION mostly because of their maintenance program that a lot of other companies did not offer. ION SOLAR out of Virginia was very professional and kept me informed throughout the whole process. I highly recommend ION for your solar needs!

jamie schumacher

March 3rd, 2021 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I 1st heard about ION, someone visited my home which I typically consider a nuisance but I was already intrigued by going solar, they (a gentleman named Justin...sorry I do not know his last name...and Tyler P.) were extremely knowledgeable and you could tell ION cared enough to give them top notch education regarding Solar energy as well as their company. They were happy in their job with strong company values. I did my Solar research and found ION to be top notch and as impressive as they said within their industry so I chose them. My sales representative Eric F. was fabulous and also very knowledgeable, the entire team at ION stayed on top of my job consistently, I received emails and text messages keeping me posted on each step and even in between waiting periods they kept updating me on where we were at with permits, preparations, installation, electrician, and electric company approvals their permits. It really was an easy streamlined experience and I am up and running fabulously!

Terrence J Johnson

March 3rd, 2021 Spring, TX

Everybody professional from beginning to end

Maureen M.

March 3rd, 2021 Yorktown, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have have a wonderful experience with ION. They check up on me with every step and have been very responsive to my questions. Bryan Newton answered all my questions. Every employee was so helpful and kind.

Theodore Turner

March 3rd, 2021 Chester, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The ION Team was very knowledgeable of the my installed system and was very considerate to explaining what I was about to encounter with ION. The installation was a good group of guys who knew there stuff and ensured the system was properly installed and running efficiently from start to finish. Good Stuff!!

Darrell Davies

March 3rd, 2021 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pretty straightforward and simple the entire way! Also like that they had a mobile app.

Jeff Mages

March 2nd, 2021 ,

Workers were awesome ! Only downside was taking so long to get it done

Sam

February 17th, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion Solar was great to work with. They explained solar to us and gave us good information to help us make a decision to move forward with Solar. The entire staff was great from their Energy Avisor to the installation crew. I would recommend Ion Solar to anyone.

Jose Antonio Garza

February 17th, 2021 ,

Quick and fast installation. Had trouble speaking to some one about getting my celling repaired from the hole I Left in it.

Bregansss

February 16th, 2021 Fredericksburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not only are they fast and friendly, but they were super honest about everything (nothing hidden) and easy to work with for each step of the process. They were attentive and careful. Very respectful of our property. They were able to answer all of my questions with ease. We HIGHLY recommend ION!

Stephen Miller

February 12th, 2021 Midlothian, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Well, I was really looking forward to having solar and doing the Green thing but if I had to do this again for some crazy reason at another location, Ion would not get my business. The sales side for me was great and I believe that was mostly because we wanted solar and just needed to get started with the process. From what i’ve read in the neighborhood posts, lots of my neighbors weren’t happy with the pushiness of the people coming to their homes trying to get them to the next part of the sales process but we were on board as soon as they said solar so they didnt have to be pushy with us. After that dealing with the sales rep was great and we couldn’t wait to be on solar energy. Once we signed the papers we were turned over to the install side and things couldn’t have been any worse! It was a disaster from pretty much the first time someone came to do the site survey on to the “FIRST” install of the panels. The calculations were off for how many panels could go in the agreed upon location, so the first crew lead led us to believe he could switch it on the fly and it would look good. Well he was incorrect. It was hideous and even some neighbors were commenting to us about it. It just didn’t flow at all. So that had to be redone and the second crew was a night and day improvement and got it straight. And even after that there were other small issues just from lack of attention to detail, and honestly not the right leadership on the install team. Finally it was time for county inspection and what do you know it did NOT pass because the screw used to secure the conduit to the siding was the incorrect kind and the inspector had a feeling it was gonna be because he had done another Ion inspection and failed it for the same thing. So even after the first time the issue for the correct screws wasn’t addressed. Another simple mistake that could have been avoided the second time around. Once finally turned on, of course i had a faulty inverter (which I understand parts that are mass produced can have a faulty one here or there but just my luck after all this) so they come out to replace that and said it would take a day or two tops for it to be working well that wasn’t the case either. So after 2 weeks of scheduling and rescheduling due to weather they finally came back out to replace the recently replaced inverter and I was told that the one that was just replaced just never had the old serial numbers removed and the new serial numbers entered to have the panel operating and reporting like it should. Once again another mistake made that could have been avoided. And for the several weeks that we were down a panel no one offered to compensate us for that either. All this said I’m glad its finally working like it should (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I wouldn’t recommend this company unless they make major overhauls in management and have some more positive reviews moving forward. Lots of people tried to oversee my account once I made it known that this wasn’t acceptable but it just didn’t seem like the main focus was to fix things asap. I don’t think with all that was going on and what had happened that I should have had to wait as long as I did for appointments. With all these mistakes, I should have been top priority until this is resolved and not taking on more jobs to potentially not complete them effectively. I wish the company luck and I think they should feel fortunate that we really wanted solar and were patient because not many families would have put up with the incompetence that we did.

Guy Gormley

February 10th, 2021 Fredericksburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ION Solar has done a fantastic job. Easy to deal with and they take care of everything. Highly recommend.

Ramon Aguinaga

February 10th, 2021 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion was professional from the very beginning to the end of installation and more! Highly recommend them if you’re in the market for some solar panels!

Larry

February 9th, 2021 Leesville, LA

The installation has been fantastic from start to finish. ION has been the best contractor that I have worked with. The presentation to the installation has been very professiinal, especially the communication. I will definitely recomend ION to my friends and neighbors.

Gabriel Dudley

February 9th, 2021 Williamsburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best part about the process with ION Solar was knowing that they'll take care of everything from dealing with HOA paperwork to scheduling city inspectors.

Willie

February 9th, 2021 Chesapeake, VA

Very informative as project project , a phone call away someone to answer any questions that come up.

Jean-Pierre Barter

February 8th, 2021 Virginia Beach, VA

ION was very consistent with keeping me abreast of things as they were happening or going to happen, very reassuring.

Jeremy Mitchell

February 7th, 2021 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a few delays along the way but they were transparent and kept me up to date. Despite the delays, very good service.

joseph bernadzikowski

February 6th, 2021 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nothing great, this company cant even let me get a review in without scrutinizing my every move.. Agreeing to their little 5kw on my 2500 sq ft home was a mistake I made and will never be able to take back!!!

Dadof3

February 5th, 2021 ,

We signed the contract but several weeks past before we could move forward. During that time, I received two back up quotes which came in well under what Ion quoted and also found out they were planning to use 35-40% more solar panels than necessary. The more panels they install, the higher the cost. Ion stated we needed 10+ KW system, the other two quotes advised we only needed 6 no more than 7 KW. That's a price difference of almost $20K. We live in an area were it's monopolized by a COOP and they don't roll over unused power so it's money going back to the COOP each month and not into our pocket. Now they're trying to hit us with a $1200 cancellation fee for trying to sell a much larger system than we realistically need.

Luan Nguyen

February 4th, 2021 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The experience with ION Solar has been a fantastic one. The team always kept me up to date with what was going on throughout the whole process. The technicians that came out to install and check on the system were all respectful and professional. I highly recommend them for anyone thinking about going solar.

AJ

February 1st, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could leave a 0 star review I would! This is the worst experience I have EVER received! They hooked up my solar wrong, attempted to burn down my new home, burned up a bunch of stuff in my home and then treated me like I was the convict trying to screw them over! My situation was escalated all the way up to the Vice President of the company, Erick R. I thought that would be the best move for us and would solve all of our issues moving forward... boy was I wrong! Erick told my husband and I he would call us the next day. That was 5 weeks ago and 2 failed inspection on our solar later. This company is absolutely terrible! The worst part is they thought we would be happy they proudly fired the entire installation crew. That broke my heart and made me sick to my stomach to think anyone would be proud of themselves for firing 4 men in a pandemic! This company obviously doesn’t have proper training for their staff and when things go wrong they place blame on the low men on the totem pole and fire them rather than addressing the real issue at hand! I would never in a million years ever recommend this company to anyone! I regret my decision to have solar installed by Ion Solar. I still have a $200 power bill each month AND $150 solar bill each month. This company doesn’t save you money, puts your family in danger, then blames you for the complaints as if your the one that is the inconvenience! Please don’t ever ever ever chose Ion Solar for your solar needs.

Sharon Earley

February 1st, 2021 ,

This entire process was so simple and they communicated and supported me the whole way!! I wasn’t required to put anything down and my payments are what I already pay for electric!! (After the tax credit which I qualified for in full!) We had a small issue at installation that was that I needed a new roof and they took care of that too!! An incredible company from start to finish!! Lastly, they hit me up about my current mortgage and are refinancing me at a lower interest rate!! It’s all true AND GOOD!!

Marie Baumgardner

January 29th, 2021 Mechanicsville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent! Most efficient company I have dealt with in a very long time. Every phase, from signing the contract to turning on the switch was flawless. I know this is not always the case but very happy it happened with me! Our salesman, Scott W was very knowledgeable. Everyone we dealt with, our salesman, installers, electrician etc. could not have been more professional. We will be recommending ION to our neighbors and friends. We also look forward to saving money and protecting our Earth!

John Avery

January 25th, 2021 ,

Did everything they promised...salesperson was very knowledgeable!

Stephen Tingey

January 23rd, 2021 Leander, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion solar did an amazing job from start to finish. They did an excellent job of keeping me updated throughout the entire process. They built a system to cover my entire electric bill. I’m glad to have used a solid company with a good reputation that I know will be around for a long time.

Lisa G.

January 22nd, 2021 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Friendly service from start to finish! They were always patient with our endless questions and took care of the busy work of getting permits and installation complete.

Bernadette Mahan

January 22nd, 2021 Fredericksburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We are only at the halfway point of the process in getting our solar panels installed. Our HOA is giving us the run around and ION's HOA Department has been doing everything the HOA is requesting for us to receive the boards approval. Its frustrating for me and ION has been attentive and helpful every step of the way so far. Thank you! And that ION Sunrise app is great for tracking our progress.

yolanda

January 21st, 2021 Pflugerville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best product and customer service I had ever have! very reliable and helpful.

Tiffany Curtice

January 21st, 2021 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a wonderful experience with Ion Solar. From the time that Ryan, the sales rep, rang my doorbell to the final text I received stating I have full solar power, my experience has been nothing but positive!! Ryan was very professional and knowledgeable about the product. The customer service has been outstanding and I have never felt like I didn't know what was going on. I received regular texts and emails about where the process was and what to expect next. Installation was fast and the panels look great on my roof! I would highly recommend Ion Solar any day of the week!

Christine Ricks

January 21st, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am new to this haven't even got my first bill but so far I am impressed with their customer service.

Jeff Blundell

January 21st, 2021 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Like a lot of these sales experiences it did begin with a canvasser but he was a good kid and wasn't pushy. Frankly, nobody likes these but I'm not sure I would have gone through the process otherwise so it's hard to argue with the tactic especially in a new subdivision like ours. Brian met us and was prepared, thorough, and experienced. I'm a techy guy and he was able to explain the system and the process without fluffy sales tactics. The decision to go with solar is almost a separate decision from the integrator, that folks need to determine on their own but having trustworthy information from Brian helped me know whether the reality of owning a system was right for us. I determined we would be close enough to break even that being prepared for the inevitable power rate hikes made the timing right. Both Brian and Lorrente have a great grasp of the company's processes and used that knowledge to make everything smooth for me including things like getting HOA approval. It really required very little action from me overall and they were a pleasure to go through the process with. While it can take longer than some might expect it all makes perfect sense as you are dealing with the power provider, installation, certification, and inspection to ensure functionality, reliability, and safety. Installation team was effective, respectful and worked hard without complaint. We will certainly monitor the performance compared to the expectations that were set for us and update this review as appropriate but this team deserves a positive review for their performance thus far!

Raymond Williams

January 19th, 2021 Las Vegas, NV

Extremely professional, knowledgeable and proficient in their process

Jan 20, 2021

Raymond, thank you for the five-star review. We are happy to hear that our teams were professional and knowledgeable. We hope that you love your solar!

Domonique Perry

January 19th, 2021 Virginia Beach, VA

The team was on time, and they were very professional, courteous and everything was done exactly the way I expected.

Jan 20, 2021

Domonique, thank you for the five-star review! We hope that you are enjoying your solar panels.

Gema Gurrola

January 14th, 2021 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love how easy they made the process for us. They uncomplicated things all the time and help us learn about the system as well as how to use it

Jan 20, 2021

Gema, thank you for the five-star review! We hope that you are enjoying your solar panels!

John Aird

January 13th, 2021 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service. The installation was explained clearly and the installation was performed professionally. I had 26 panels installed and they did it in less than a day.

Jan 20, 2021

John, thank you for the review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your solar install with us. We hope you enjoy the rest of your solar process!

Robert Rourke

January 13th, 2021 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service all around from the sales pitch to customer service to installation. Smooth process from beginning to end. Install was a breeze. Everyone involved from the beginning was very courteous and professional. Highly recommend!

Jan 20, 2021

Robert, thank you for the review! We are so happy to hear that your process has been smooth. We hope that you enjoy your solar panels!

Samuel Jennings

January 12th, 2021 Cibolo, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our experience with ION Solar has been excellent. They were very professional and friendly throughout the whole process and always kept us in the loop every step of the way. We are currently waiting for the utility to come out and approve everything to be able to turn everything on, but I have had no issues with the progress so far. We are very excited to help be apart of the renewable energy solution for our country! The panels look great and the installation was very professional and expertly executed!

Jan 14, 2021

Samuel, thank you for the wonderful five-star review! We are happy to hear that our teams were professional and friendly. We hope you continue to enjoy your solar process.

Sylvia Allan

January 12th, 2021 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been thrilled about working with Ion. Our sales team were honest and caring about what our needs were. Our home and we were treated with respect and kindness by all the sales team, workers, installers and everyone in the finance department. We did not have to wonder if details were taken care of, they called and checked in with us until the project was complete. We were very fortunate to have them come to our door that day!

Jan 14, 2021

Sylvia, thank you for the five-star review. We are happy to hear that our team was respectful and kind. We hope that you continue to enjoy your solar panels!

N. Nickels

January 12th, 2021 Cibolo, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ion Solar employees are professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. They walked me through the process, helped me understand how solar works, and took care of everything from start to finish.

Jan 14, 2021

Naomi, thank you for the review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your solar process with us. We hope you enjoy your solar panels!

Jorge Gonzalez

January 12th, 2021 Aubrey, TX

We had a wonderful experience with Ion solar, If you are looking for a very good company of solar panels this is the best, Communication was excellent, always professionals and really knowledge of everything about solar systems...... It was a fantastic experience!

Jan 14, 2021

Jorge, thank you for the five-star review. We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience with us. We hope that you enjoy your solar panels. Thank you for choosing us!

Narissa L Samuels

January 11th, 2021 ,

My experience with ION Solar has been a long and pleasant experience. It was long because of my HOA, but their team stepped in and was able to get some things overlooked by the HOA because it made no sense as to why it was required. I was updated on my progress through the app, email, text and by phone calls, when needed. The people they have employed are pleasant to work with and they understand how the system works. I really appreciate the team that was assigned to install on my property.

Jan 14, 2021

Narissa, thank you for the five-star review. We are happy to hear that you have had a pleasant experience with our teams. We will pass on your kind words! We hope you enjoy your solar!

Kristian Waagen

January 9th, 2021 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Custom design for your home clean professional install

Jan 14, 2021

Kristian, thank you for the five-star review! We are happy to hear that your experience with our team was professional. We hope that you are enjoying your solar panels!

Josh Koen

January 9th, 2021 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you are looking into getting solar, look no further. I came to Ion after I was referred to them by my family and a neighbor who had just worked with them. I had already been doing my research into different companies around the Denver Metro and had my questions ready when I sat down with Clay P, their sale representative. Clay was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. He walked us through the process, the specs, the satellite images, artistic renders and the pricing. We were not hard to convince and signed that day. The “wait period” was fast. From sign to install we were getting panels up in about 30 days. The install team was great. Arrived during their scheduled window and were very respectful of our property and time. Each step of the way the corporate office was calling and ensuring we were satisfied and informed. I would recommend Ion to anybody!

Jan 14, 2021

Josh, thank you for such a wonderful review! We appreciate the time you took to leave us feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our teams. We will pass on your kind words. We appreciate your recommendation and hope you are enjoying your solar panels!

Tom Bourgelas

January 8th, 2021 Portsmouth, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would like to thank ION Solar for a great experience with our solar panel system installation. When we ran into a few issues everyone was responsive and helpful in fixing the problem. I would especially like to thank Nathaniel M for correcting our data uplink issue. He called us to let us know when he was coming out to our house, was on time, and followed up to be sure everything remained working. He answered my calls right away even after working hours and was patient with an “old guy” explaining how to go thru the the process of connecting to the APP via the WIFI etc. I would like to thank all of the ION Team for a job well done.

Jan 14, 2021

Tom, thank you for taking the time to leave us a five-star review. We are happy to hear that our teams were helpful and responsive. We will pass on your kind words to Nathaniel. We hope that you are enjoying your solar panels!

A McKown

January 8th, 2021 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently bought a brand new home that we built from the ground up. We had multiple solar companies approach us. We ended up going with ION Solar and we definitely do not regret it. The sales man were so professional and very outgoing. The process was very easy and the installation was great. Would recommend to any of my friends/family members.

Jan 08, 2021

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience with our team! We appreciate your recommendation and hope you are loving your solar panels!