ION Solar

7.3

LAST UPDATED: September 21st, 2021

Previously known as Vision Solar, ION Solar is a full-service solar energy provider that was founded in 2013. Full-service includes a custom-designed system, all permitting, solar installation, inspection, and solar panel system maintenance.

ION Solar aims to offer affordable solar solutions that give customers the benefits of solar with little or no up-front costs. The company's services are currently available in Colorado, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

The Good

• No Subcontracting
  • Maintenance is Included
  • Increased Home Value
  • System Monitoring
  • Awards and Certifications

No Subcontracting

ION Solar does not outsource any of its installations, meaning the company installs every solar panel and inverter itself. Working with a full-service provider like ION Solar generally bodes well for homeowners as the company will then have full control over who is in and around your home and your family.

If you ever come across a company that does use subcontractors for any part of the project, we would suggest finding another solar company to do business with— it's just too risky. While the solar company itself might be licensed, the subcontractors might not be. Additionally, the more people who are involved in the project, the bigger chance there is for miscommunication and lack of quality.

Maintenance is Included

ION Solar states that the system they provide you includes free maintenance and repairs for the entire life of the contract.

In reality, solar panels don't require much maintenance other than being sprayed down with water every few months to keep the dust and dirt buildup that could limit sunlight off of them.

However, if something does happen, ION Solar will be there to take care of it for you.

Increased Home Value

Installing solar panels will increase the value of your home and, according to ION Solar, if you ever sell your home, the company will transfer your solar power agreement to the new owner. Therefore, having a solar system that is already in place and transferable will automatically increase your home's value and could make it easier to sell.

System Monitoring

Another beneficial feature ION Solar offers is system monitoring.  Unfortunately, the company doesn't specify exactly what that monitoring entails, whether it's for production, usage, or both.  Obviously, it's to your benefit to have both.

However, ION Solar states that it will monitor your system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If there's ever a problem, the company will know about it and send a technician out immediately.

Awards and Certifications

ION Solar has been listed as one of America's 500 fastest-growing companies by Inc. Magazine. The company has also been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners, a solar industry-recognized nonprofit organization charged with promoting best practices in solar power.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Limited Availability

Unfortunately, ION Solar's availability is relatively limited; the company only offers its services in eight states:

• Colorado
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virgina

Customers who live outside of this service area won't be able to take advantage of the company's renewable energy services.

Reported Deceptive Marketing Practices

Many customers have reported being lured in to ION Solar by an offer of a "free" solar system and were told there was "no catch".

However, apparently this is just a marketing tactic to get people to sign up for the company's lease program. This is definitely a deceptive marketing tactic, which tarnishes the company's reputation and may result in loss of client trust.

The Bottom Line

ION Solar does not subcontract any of its work and offers system maintenance and monitoring, and provides several payment options (including a solar lease) to help customers reduce their dependence on fossil fuel. However, the solar installer's availability is limited to eight states and its marketing practices are questionable.

View Best Solar Companies

Ruth Olson Salem, OR

The were polite, and very professional. Kept me in the loop for every step of the way. There were no surprises. And the panels are made in the USA; a HUGE plus in my book. I highly recommend them

Ronald Gordon Hampton, VA

I was very skeptical about doing this but sales rep Jimmy G set down with my wife and I and explained everything in detail. I'm impressed with the great customer service provided by all I received regularly updates from start to finish by the team...Susan, Maritza and Kolton. Their patience is highly appreciated because I ask alot of questions. I look forward to seeing how my system progresses. Good job ION Solar.

Tony Davis Aurora, CO

Each interaction experience I had with the ION Solar team was excellent!! They are very professional, and do fantastic work! Quality was a very big factor in what they do, because they paid close attention to detail. The equipment installation was very impressive. Job Well Done!! Also, the notifications via voice, email and text were very informative. You are always kept apprise of what's taking place, or what's going to take place. I would highly recommend IOS Solar to everyone.

Kyle Cramsey Loveland, CO

Very good company to work with. Everyone i worked with was very polite and professional. The solar panels have been installed for just a week now and seem to be performing as expected. The app works extremely well and I find myself always looking at how much we are producing!

Shayne Aubrey, TX

This company was a pleasure to work with, our Sales Rep, Christian, worked with us a lot to get the price we were looking for. The whole process was seamless and ION made it very easy for us. They did all the paperwork with the county and our energy provider. I was surprised by how quick the installation went as well. Would definitely recommend going with ION.

Chris Pullman Austin, TX

I’m happy that Ion knocked on my door. During the pandemic I was wary to open my door, but if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have the means to do my part to lessen a burden on our planet. Every interaction I’ve had with the company has been great. The team knew just what to do and how to explain it to me in a way that I understand. I felt empowered through the buying and installation processes. And, for someone like me with little technical knowledge of how solar energy is harnessed and transmitted, I appreciate that. Thank you, Ion. :)

Bill Rose Raleigh, NC

Having worked for a company that makes solar and wind power equipment, I knew the many benefits to society and the environment that solar played. But it wasn't until I met up with ION Solar that I saw how beneficial solar power could be to me and my home. It was eye opening. I can't speak highly enough of the ION Solar team, they were friendly and professional all the way; they explained specifically how a solar system based on net metering could make my home a safe, energy-producing facility and increase the value of my home. ION was with me every step of the way and provided the resources to get approvals from our homeowners association, the City and State, and Duke Energy (our utility) as well as the installation of the system itself. I can now say I've gone solar, and I look forward to seeing the cost savings and benefits that come from the ION Solar system.

Veronica Robertson Austin, TX

Where do I begin....from day one the customer service has been top notch. Any questions or concerns I may have had were addressed. They even found a way to replace my roof and installed the solar.

Wicker Norfolk, VA

Overall very happy but unresolved damage issues disappoint I’ve been using my new solar panels for a few weeks and love them. They have been working without any issues so far. ION definitely has their process down for getting these installed quickly and efficiently. They provide an app for easy tracking of the entire 10 step process and were always quick to respond. The sales team was very friendly and were happy to talk and answer questions with no obligations or pressure. One hiccup in the process was from the preliminary inspector who did not relay information to the team who was doing the install. The electrical box was not on an exterior wall so the work order changed which meant they needed the design to be approved which delayed the install for a week. The install went smoothly and the workers were friendly and cleaned up after themselves. Unfortunately they brought a giant bucket lift to help get panels onto the roof and damaged the driveway. The lift was overkill and so heavy it cracked the driveway in several places. I was told several times any damage to the property would be repaired but it has been a couple of months now with no one getting back to me. There is still one final inspection to take place so maybe they are waiting for that. All of the inspections take a while but that’s out of their control. The payment plan is reasonable and I’m hoping the panels will be paying for themselves very soon. ION Solar has a lot of experience in other states so I felt comfortable going with them. If they fix the damage caused by the lift I would 100% recommend them.

Linda Jo Samuilow San Marcos, TX

the initial presentation by Zach, was very understanding and he spent over 2 hours going thru each step and i could call him at anytime for some more questions. staff office personnel were always available for me: Haley, Lauryn, any the installer of the panels, Wayne

AlecC Washington, DC

I was always kept informed of progress a very professional easy to work with company . Work was performed on time with no mess ,very polite associates and install crew who knew their job, installation of 17 panels and associated wiring took about 5 hours .Thank you ION Solar.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

Started with this company a few months ago. They had a representative come to the house and explain EVERYTHING upfront. Sometimes, you expect something dubious with cold call businesses. They were very professional in the installation process. I had a lengthy discussion with the electric company about ION reputation. The electric company employee who installed the reverse meter had positive interaction with the company. The county contractor had positive things to say about the company. Overall, ION made it simple to get solar on the house. You're not just doing it for yourself, you're doing it to easy the load from the grid. You're ahead of the game when it comes to solar or wind power. There are huge intensives with taxes too. We re online and producing MORE energy than we're consuming in a day.

Devin McKnight Salt Lake City, UT

Just finished the process with ION Solar. It went well and no major hiccups occurred at all. It took a little longer than I initially expected but I am satisfied with the care and attention we received. It was very easy to work with Daniel B., our initial salesman and he was very upfront about how things work and did not feel like a salesman. He was polite and considerate of our time as we had at the moment of first meeting him gone through a very trying car accident. I definitely would recommend working with them if you have considered getting Solar and Dan will definitely get you taken care of.

TJ Stephenson Los Lunas, NM

When I agreed to meet with Ion Solar representative Robert A., I had no intent to purchase anytime soon and prepared for a pushy sales person. To my surprise Robert was very personable, knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions I had and provide any additional information needed. Robert spent close to three hours with me to which I admit had flown by and at the end had a signed contract and a new customer. In no time at all Ion Solar sent out people to draw up the design for my home and inspect that it would work correctly. After signing off on the design Ion Solar began the process of getting all the approvals and licenses needed to install and run the system. Before I knew it the install team was at my residence and getting the job done. The install took about four hours and looked perfect after they finished. The solar panels were all laid flush and the equipment all matched so there wasn't anything to really draw the eye to the roof. No wires were left showing and everything was tidy and sealed properly. The crew cleaned the area to leave it better than they found it and vacuumed the area were they made access into the attic. I downloaded the recommended app on my phone and was able to track everything going on during the process along with track my solar system after the installation. Anytime I called I was given prompt answers and Ion Solar kept me up to date on everything going on.

Glenwood Emory Shover Fredericksburg, VA

Thus far, I have been totally impressed with the professionalism of the ION staff. Communications between myself and ION have been timely and complete. As a mechanically inclined individual, I can tell whether or not a project is being installed properly (in my eyes). This installation is extremely "neat" and appears proper in every way. When the County inspector called me to schedule an appointment, he stated that he doubted that there would be any problems since it was an ION installation. He also stated that he has never found a single issues with an ION installation. That statement helps me sleep well at night as we have a very strict County Inspector's office here. I highly recommend ION and have already done so within my community. Neighbors have stopped in their cars and on foot to ask about ION. I tell them all I know and that ION is an impressive company to deal with.

Matt Romero Parker, CO

ION’s setting a new industry standard with a awesome start to finish process. ION’s full of surprises, just yesterday after more than a month of being off the grid a rep stopped by while in the area to see if we had any questions, concerns etc.

Jennifer Bennett Norfolk, VA

ION Solar is a very professional company, this is a no hassle, no pressure process. The information is given to you in a very easy way to comprehend and digest. The decision is all yours to make. They keep you up to date through the entire process and make sure you are happy with your decision to go Green.

Vic Barone Productions Virginia Beach, VA

This company was very friendly from the initial sales rep to the installation crew. They know what they are doing and get the job done and make sure the customer is taken care through multiple perks and keep you updated throughout the process. And if there are any questions or concerns they respond promptly.

Dustin Hunter Portland, OR

I tried to shoot down the poor kid they sent to my doorstep to sell me on their services, but my wife told me to hear him out. He and everyone who we worked with through the initial pitch, sale, setup, and close have been on point, professional, helpful, and friendly. The lack of upfront costs and bill swap approach made this easily affordable. ION Solar seems to take Customer Service very seriously and the whole experience has been almost effortless. I've already recommended them to my neighbor!

Stephanie Hackett Chesapeake, VA

Ion Solar represented themselves well from sales to installation. Ion was very responsive and made sure to answer any questions or concerns I had. They handled everything from start to finish and I did not have to do anything. The ability to monitor my solar output has been fantastic. They even provided ways to cut down my power usage to save even more. Overall a wonderful experience.

Shanae Lanier Aurora, CO

When my husband and I decided to get solar panels there was A LOT of information to digest. We initial chose to go with a different solar company before switching to ION Solar. Ty S. was great at communicating throughout the entire process, very personable and explained everything clearly. It is a huge purchase and we are so glad we made the switch, better price and better quality.

G Montoya Albuquerque, NM

ION made an appointment with me to go over their product. They arrived on time, went over all aspects of the advantages of solar, went over the advantages of having solar provided by them versus the competition. Answered all of our questions with extensive knowledge and went over the bottom line advantages. After made made our decision to go with them, the process was painless, they stayed on top of the entire process and took care of getting all the permits and inspections completed in a timely manner

Mario Hinostroza Castillo Denver, CO

One of the best sole companies I have known., I worked with many customers that went solar, but I heard different words from them that there are not satisfied with the terms or even the explanation of the crew members. I am very happy with ION solar and all the the crew meme era that helped me in the process, I am also very happy with Ryan and Enrique the people that explained and always were so patient and productive to my request.

Pamela Stanley Norfolk, VA

From the first person who knocked on my door to the last call and text I recd this is by far the most organized company I've ever dealt with! They walked me thru every step PRIOR to me signing any contracts and once I signed they have been in touch every step in process. Now I'm all hooked up to dominion grid and doing good for planet and my electric bill plus added value to my home! So many in our Ocean Lakes neighborhood here in VA Beach are adding solar to their roof via ION Solar! Btw, if you decide to call them please say I sent you and I'll get a referral credit! I'm not getting paid to write this review I just want to spread the word this is def a company I'd do business with again!!

Courtney S Spotsylvania, VA

I’m a little confused about the”Questionable Marketing Practice”, I was offered a complimentary energy report to see if my home would qualify. When the Energy Consultant came to my home to go over and explain my report, I could not have been more impressed by the professionalism. At no time was I pressured in to doing anything. After seeing the potential savings, it only made sense for me to start the process. My Energy Consultant (Dean) stayed in touch with me and kept me up to date with the process before I asked the questions. I could not have had a better experience. Thanks Dean, and thank you ION!!

jamie schumacher Pittsburgh, PA

When I 1st heard about ION, someone visited my home which I typically consider a nuisance but I was already intrigued by going solar, they (a gentleman named Justin...sorry I do not know his last name...and Tyler P.) were extremely knowledgeable and you could tell ION cared enough to give them top notch education regarding Solar energy as well as their company. They were happy in their job with strong company values. I did my Solar research and found ION to be top notch and as impressive as they said within their industry so I chose them. My sales representative Eric F. was fabulous and also very knowledgeable, the entire team at ION stayed on top of my job consistently, I received emails and text messages keeping me posted on each step and even in between waiting periods they kept updating me on where we were at with permits, preparations, installation, electrician, and electric company approvals their permits. It really was an easy streamlined experience and I am up and running fabulously!

Jeff Blundell Denver, CO

Like a lot of these sales experiences it did begin with a canvasser but he was a good kid and wasn't pushy. Frankly, nobody likes these but I'm not sure I would have gone through the process otherwise so it's hard to argue with the tactic especially in a new subdivision like ours. Brian met us and was prepared, thorough, and experienced. I'm a techy guy and he was able to explain the system and the process without fluffy sales tactics. The decision to go with solar is almost a separate decision from the integrator, that folks need to determine on their own but having trustworthy information from Brian helped me know whether the reality of owning a system was right for us. I determined we would be close enough to break even that being prepared for the inevitable power rate hikes made the timing right. Both Brian and Lorrente have a great grasp of the company's processes and used that knowledge to make everything smooth for me including things like getting HOA approval. It really required very little action from me overall and they were a pleasure to go through the process with. While it can take longer than some might expect it all makes perfect sense as you are dealing with the power provider, installation, certification, and inspection to ensure functionality, reliability, and safety. Installation team was effective, respectful and worked hard without complaint. We will certainly monitor the performance compared to the expectations that were set for us and update this review as appropriate but this team deserves a positive review for their performance thus far!

Josh Koen Aurora, CO

If you are looking into getting solar, look no further. I came to Ion after I was referred to them by my family and a neighbor who had just worked with them. I had already been doing my research into different companies around the Denver Metro and had my questions ready when I sat down with Clay P, their sale representative. Clay was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. He walked us through the process, the specs, the satellite images, artistic renders and the pricing. We were not hard to convince and signed that day. The “wait period” was fast. From sign to install we were getting panels up in about 30 days. The install team was great. Arrived during their scheduled window and were very respectful of our property and time. Each step of the way the corporate office was calling and ensuring we were satisfied and informed. I would recommend Ion to anybody!

Reply from ION Solar

Josh, thank you for such a wonderful review! We appreciate the time you took to leave us feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our teams. We will pass on your kind words. We appreciate your recommendation and hope you are enjoying your solar panels!

Jan. 14th, 2021

Tom Bourgelas Portsmouth, VA

I would like to thank ION Solar for a great experience with our solar panel system installation. When we ran into a few issues everyone was responsive and helpful in fixing the problem. I would especially like to thank Nathaniel M for correcting our data uplink issue. He called us to let us know when he was coming out to our house, was on time, and followed up to be sure everything remained working. He answered my calls right away even after working hours and was patient with an “old guy” explaining how to go thru the the process of connecting to the APP via the WIFI etc. I would like to thank all of the ION Team for a job well done.

Reply from ION Solar

Tom, thank you for taking the time to leave us a five-star review. We are happy to hear that our teams were helpful and responsive. We will pass on your kind words to Nathaniel. We hope that you are enjoying your solar panels!

Jan. 14th, 2021

Kyle Surgeoner

Dealing with ION has been a breeze. They took care of everything from beginning to the end. Can’t say enough good about them!!!!!

Kaylin Johnson San Antonio, TX

Our experience has been great. They update us every step of the way from applying for the loan to the installation/ inspection process. Our panels look great and we’re excited to be customers of Ion.

Jp Hampton, VA

The whole process was smooth and painless. Everything went according to what we were told. Everyone we dealt with was pleasant and knowledgeable of what was going on and what they were to do.

Christian Maxwell Ogden, UT

We have enjoyed working with ION Solar they have a great team and a solid product. The install and permitting all went super smooth and ION always kept us up to date on the progress and next steps.

Mackenzie Olson Sherwood, OR

Our experience with ION Solar has been amazing! From the beginning we were told exactly what we were signing up for, and the company has made the process extremely easy for us! The crew was phenomenal and got our roof and solar panels done in amazing time. 10/10 recommend!

Patrick King Denver, CO

Clayton was very nice to work with. Informative and built trust which is extremely important in such a competitive industry. He is a major asset to your company. Kudos! So far everything has been spot on from the initial sale to install. Everyone was polite and respectful. I am just waiting on the city inspection and final approval from Xcel!

Ryan Tabor

Through the entire installation and set up process, everyone i worked with or that came to my home was amazing. Always on time and always did what they said. The total time to get my panels turned on was about a month quicker than they predicted. All around great process.

Luis Jose San Antonio, TX

Great service from the beginning, they are really on top of the process, I literally didn’t have to anything. Everything workout as planned. When I called them, they answered all my questions and followed up. I will strongly recommend this company for your Solar. No complains five starts!!

Ryan Courtwright Chesapeake, VA

ION has been great from the jump. They kept me well informed on the whole installation process. The installation team did a fantastic job! They were all very professional and did a stellar job on the installation. I highly recommend them!

Brittany Pierce Aurora, CO

Our experience with Ion was great. We thought it went pretty smooth and actually pretty quick through all of the steps. We greatly appreciated that all of the necessary steps/items were taken care of by Ion and the communication with updates was awesome!

John Lenihan Las Vegas, NV

They are knowledgeable about solar. This is my second purchase (California) and they impressed me with their answers. Then, their system of keeping you up to date is very robust. So far, I am happy with the production of electricity

LES AUSTIN Maidens, VA

I recommend ION SOLAR if you are looking to go SOLAR. They are quick to respond and professional in their installation process. They take care of everything from the HOA application to all required inspections. Have an APP for your phone so you can monitor your system.

Lee Martin Norfolk, VA

Everyone I have dealt with, either in person, email, or telephone has been very polite, professional and helpful. Any questions that arose were quickly answered to my satisfaction. Anything I was promised during the process was delivered without question. I am satisficed with ION.

Hannah Swanson Fort Collins, CO

Ion Solar has been so great to work with. This is our second time getting solar panels with Ion Solar ( we moved). The process was quick and smooth. They are great with communication and keeping you in the loop of where they are in the process. We highly recommend them!

Angela Gregory Rio Rancho, NM

Everything has gone very well and exactly as explained to us when we first signed. We receive regular communication each step of the process. Our questions and concerns have always been taken seriously and have been addressed immediately. I definitely recommend them!

Cassandra Behr Kyle, TX

They have been sooooo easy to deal with. They communicate great throughout the entire process. They took care of everything, from all the inspections to the installations, to the final inspections. The install team was very professional, fast and efficient. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get solar!

Melanie L Aurora, CO

Ion gave a great option for solar when we didn't know where to start. And we have a contact person who is able to keep us up to date on the progress and answer any concerns or questions we may have. Their incentives and customer service have made us really happy with our choice.

Brandon Z. Henrico, VA

So far, working with ION has been a great experience. I was a little hesitant about going solar at first but the folks at ION took the time to walk me through the process at various steps. If you are considering going solar than I would highly recommend ION Solar!

Evelyn Baldwin Virginia Beach, VA

We are so excited to be helping the environment. We couldn't have done it without the experts at ION. They were so receptive of any questions we might have. There was always someone to go to. I would recommend ION SOLAR to everyone!

James E Carroll Parker, CO

Everything as promised. Continued to work through snowy weather and worked on a schedule that worked for both of us. Installed exactly as proposed - even painted the power conduit from the second story to the distribution center. Power production looks good.

Kevin Parsons Colorado Springs, CO

Everything went very smoothly with my solar install. ION Solar was very attentive to my needs and did a great job communicating at every step of the process. I highly recommend ION Solar to anyone wanting to produce their own power.