Cox Cable Logo

Cox Cable

8.5

Many customer reviews (read below) mention that Cox's prices are considerably higher than other companies in the industry; however, a number of reviews mention that the quantity and quality of the channels were well worth the cost. Consumers also mentioned that Cox's customer service was quick to respond and easy to work with.

Here's a bit about the company:

Cox Communications is a cable TV, Internet, and phone provider. Customers have the option of bundling all of these services or selecting individual packages.

Cox is currently the nation's third-largest provider of cable services with six million customers. The company is a popular choice for several reasons; it provides many different packages, each with unique channel options to cater to your preferences. Although the costs are higher than other cable companies, there is no commitment contract. There are a number of unique personalized features, including new recommendations based on your preferences and the ability to watch your favorite programs remotely from your mobile device or tablet.

Cox Cable has excellent options for both residential and commercial needs.

The Good

• Quality Packages with Great Content
  • Starter TV vs. Contour TV
  • Bundle Your TV with Internet and/or Phone
  • No Lengthy Two-Year Standard Contract

Quality Packages with Great Content

Cox has become one of the most popular options for cable TV. It provides top of the line content to customers throughout the country. Cox offers several different packages, which makes it easier for customers to find the right fit for their television (and phone/Internet) needs. A customers location will determine exactly what Cox packages are available, but most customers have expressed their satisfaction with the variety of packages and offers.

Cox has eight different sports packages available for sports-crazed customers. The sports packages Cox offers include: ESPN Full Court, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass, ESPN GamePlan, MLB Extra Innings, MLS Direct Kick, NFL RedZone, and even a year-round service called the Sports and Information Pack.

In select packages, Cox offers customers the "Whole Home DVR" which allows users to record and then watch their favorite shows/programs from anywhere in the house. Also available in select packages are premium channels and On Demand options as well. Customers have the option of self-install or professional installation when they order Cox cable. If a customer wants to save a little extra money, Cox will send the equipment with detailed instructions on how to install.

Starter TV vs. Contour TV

Those who want a simple TV package should choose Cox's Basic Cable TV. The package offers 75 channels and starts at $25 per month (for the first 12 months). Consumers will have access to limited basic cable channels (local broadcast, government, education, shopping, etc.) and 50 Music Choice channels. Members can also stream shows anywhere with the Contour app and watch how they want with the intuitive guide, closed captioning and family-friendly parental controls.

While the Starter TV package is great for those who want to keep it simple, the Cox's Contour TV allows members to get the best HD TV experience and select the channel pak that suits their entertainment needs. With Contour TV users will be able to access shows and movies without having to switch TV inputs, use a voice remote to search across live TV, and record their favorite programs.

In addition to the channels that come with the Starter TV pack, Contour TV sets users up with a varied channel lineup including ESPN, Discovery, Disney, History, A&E, TNT, HGTV and members have the option to add channel paks at any time — including premium channels (HBO, STARZ, and SHOWTIME).

Contour TV prices start as low as $69.99 per month for 12 months.

Bundle Your TV with Internet and/or Phone

Having top-notch entertainment options all in one bill is possible with Cox Communications. Priced competitively, allows consumers to combine their cable TV with a choice of Internet speed and/or landline phone service. Having all of these provided by Cox can simplify monthly budgeting and recurring payment hassle, as well as provide high-quality service for whatever your needs may be. Cox offers three specific pre-built bundles as well as a build-your-own bundle option.

No Lengthy Two-Year Standard Contract

While most other cable or satellite TV providers lock their customers down with two-year contracts, Cox gives its customers more flexibility with a time frame requirement of fewer than two years (sometimes nothing, depending on the package selected). Contract time frames can vary, but it is consistent to see TV options hovering around 12 months. If current customers of Cox are looking to end their service, their bill will be prorated. However, there have been complaints from Cox customers having to pay additional fees when they have canceled their service.

Make sure to read and understand your agreement with Cox when services are set up.

The Bad

• Potential Cost Increase
  • Possible Fees
  • Only Available in 19 States

Potential Cost Increase

After 12 months, prices for all Cox cable packages will increase. Customers will usually see an increase in price by about $20/month. It is important for customers to look at what the regular monthly price will be (after the first 12 months) before making a decision. The lower prices are shown to entice customers and only apply for a short period of time, so customers need to make sure they understand the pricing before signing up. There could also be additional charges to DVR service, digital cable, internet speeds (Mbps), or modems.

Possible Fees

Alongside the increase in monthly cost, customers should be aware of the possible fees that may be added. Cox states that a one-time activation charge may apply and that additional jacks, inside wiring, reconnection, activation, taxes, franchise fees, and surcharges (including a video Broadcast Surcharge of up to $10) are additional.

Only Available in 19 States

Cox is limited based on geography. A customers location will determine what packages are available. To find out if Cox is a viable cable provider, potential members can log on to the Cox website and type in their zip code. The search results will show which services Cox offers in the area.

Cox is available in the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Virginia.

The Bottom Line

Cox Communications is a good choice for cable television if it services the area in which you live. It has several premium channels available for subscription, as well as sports and international packages. Cox provides access to hundreds of channels to select customers (based on the chosen package) and also offers DVR and HD receivers.

We recommend customers who live in areas serviced by Cox to consider it as an option when choosing a satellite TV provider. Be sure to check out our Cox Cable Reviews as well to hear users customer service stories, as well as other cable companies or cable providers.

Call our recommended rep over at Cox Cable below.

3.6

DaretoExpose Las Vegas, NV

I hate Coxs, they are cyber bullies and cyber criminals. I would never recommend this service to no one. It is horrible. Hackers are harvesting the customers data on a dataminer call harvesterRadio, where they are collecting everything about their customers so they can sell them bull crap. Like malware and services. McAfee has been banned in the united states since December 31, 2016. Cox's has been cyberstalking and cyber bulling my property since 2001 to the present day. They continue to lie and still the service that is paid for you only get half the internet speed that you are paying for. Denial of Service attacks, Man In the Middle attack, Zero Day exploits. I am so sick and tired of Coxs and their thieves.

Gwen Hurd Smyrna, GA

I was a Cox Communications Customer while living in VA. Their service was great/reliable, although the prices were a bit high. Reliability is important with Cable and Cox lived up to the challenge.

Cutenana Waxahachie, TX

Had some problems with my Cox internet! Tech came out and worked on it for a couple hours. The tech made sure that he checked everything that could have been wrong. After he finished, he told me that I need to update my modem and recommended one for me! He gave me the number to call to get help installing the modem. I got the modem and have not had any problems since.

Tyler B Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Cox Cable is the only satellite provider for our area. During COVID-19, my wife and I's internet needs expanded given WFH. Cox has come out multiple times to make sure that we having everything that we need. Furthermore, the Company's satellite tv offering is unmatched. Whether you want on demand shows, movie rentals or simply live tv, Cox Cable has everything you could want. With so many people cutting the cord, Cox continues to provide weekly live content to keep consumers entertained.

Pika Linderman Las Vegas, NV

Despite restrictions and other issues related to the current COVID-19 situation COX Cable did a great job getting me set up with wireless services in my new home. They set me up with wireless internet services and Cable TV. I also had them install security cameras for me. The technician did a great job with the camera set up. He put them up exactly where I wanted and made sure that they were installed professionally, careful of the walls, securing the electrical wire and not just letting things hang loosely. The technician was friendly and professional and I felt comfortable with him in my home. He made sure everything was working perfectly before he left so I didn't have to worry about having to set anything up myself. They followed up after to make sure things were still running smoothly. The cameras are running great. The quality of the images is great. I'm especially impressed with the night images which are better than what I've gotten from more expensive cameras.

Dirk Durant ,

Yet again, my February, 2021 bill has a big increase with no accompanying explanation or apology. I asked for no changes, yet the increase for phone, internet, and TV combined was more than a 37% increase! Be prepared for frequent internet slow downs, and internet outages nearly weekly, though most are just small blips. Unfortunately, the area I live in has very few alternatives. If you have alternatives, consider them.

Lonnie Stewart ,

We purchased Cox service several months ago and had trouble from the start. They gave us the wrong box to start with, a tech came and changed it out. Reception was good for a couple month, now we don’t have service more than we do. I have called and called automation just runs you in a circle, the beginning of that circle is where you up grade or get service, both cost money of course. All they want to do is message, text. I want to talk to a real person and they won’t allow it. I’m sure one will reply to this review stating it’s my fault because I havnt called the right number or pushed the write number. We are switching to ATT as soon as this issue is resolved. Guidelines to write a review state don’t use all caps,or curse words or your review won’t be allowed. Funny thing all I really want to us is caps and curse words. Im sure they get a lot of both. Poor reception and customer service.

Chris T Irvine, CA

good customer service .. on the higher side for service but they make up for with customer service.. try some of these other companies like suddenlink what a joke after dealing with them cox is great

Samuel Tripp ,

Overall a good company. Had one issue when moving to a new house, due to covid they where unable to install the internet box. Other than that has been great service

Dr Al Sarno Manhattan, KS

Fastest internet around with easy move in hook up! Wonderful experience and customer friendly! Monthly auto pay is quite convenient!

Heidi V Las Vegas, NV

I've been with COX for years. I tried satellite/dish on different occasions and always return to COX. Wind storms, rain, snow all wreak havoc on other systems. Cox has their cables underground making for a more stable system.

Jincey Lafayette, LA

Good price for internet service. I cancelled cable TV service because it cost too much and did not have the things I liked on its bundles. However, the internet service is quality at a good price. I don't recommend renting their modems, though, because you end up paying over and over for the total cost of the modem in rent fees. Just buy it outright or use your own.

Crystal Freeman Suffolk, VA

I really loved their home also business services for television, internet, and cable combos at a great price.

B A Hooper Mesa, AZ

Too many outages. Inconsistent service. Limited channels packaged together. Too expensive to keep adding to the package. Switching to streaming to get more options for much less money.

daniel shen Garden Grove, CA

Good internet service, good online resources. I couldn't say anything differentiates them from other good internet providers

brandon bingham West Jordan, UT

Great customer service. Easy to work with. Answered all my questions and didn't cause any issues when it came to billing.

Anna D North Las Vegas, NV

I have been a COX customer for over 20 years and called in to negotiate a new offer this morning. The rep said my new offer was for 12 months and my bill would only go up a few cents (Currently $79.43 and quoted $79.48). I was happy. An email confirmation just came and it said my new monthly price would be $95.61! I called them back and the person I spoke with said that the first rep did not include the taxes and fees. I pointed out that she said my total bill would only be going up a few cents a month. She said she was the supervisor and that was the best they could do, by not honoring what their rep had quoted me - a 20 year customer who has never been late on a payment or missed a payment! I know bait and switch and no one likes to be treated this way! Anna D.

Tracy Yeager Metairie, LA

Cox sneakily ups your monthly bill, I called and cancelled all my premium channels to lower my bill, it has crept back up over the last few months to close to what I was being billed for with premium channels. Probably will cancel and go with sling

Vic Omaha, NE

I've been with Cox for 16 years, and their service on the whole, is okay. The internet and TV are okay most of the time, but there are occasional outages. The WORST part of being with this company is their YEARLY HUGE INCREASES in rates, with no regard for long-standing customers. You basically have to call and yell at them every year to get someone to re-negotiate your rates so it's HALFWAY affordable. What makes the situation EXTREMELY sad is that they're essentially a MONOPOLY; the ONLY other options are satellite dishes, and that's no good either from what I hear. So we're stuck with these crazy people if we want to watch cable.

Keith Anderson Henderson, NV

When I first got their service I tried the wireless receivers for the whole house so the cable and we had to run to one and then everything else in the house was wireless but it would not work with my Google Wi-Fi network it interfered and would drop signal constantly. Regular service is okay with the wired receivers my bill is not too bad but one of my first year of my contract is up my bill is going to go up like $60 per month and my service will probably not be worth that kind of money

Rocatta Tait Norfolk, VA

Cox has outstanding customer service. They're able to switch service locations so cable and internet are up and running before the move is complete. Their tech support is convenient and responsive. When necessary they replace rented devices seamlessly.

Misty Whipple Glendale, AZ

I was with Cox for over 15 years and 4 moves! I always had great service for Internet. My issues is more with the cost and lack of customer support! With the pandemic and everyone using the Internet I needed a better plan but could not afford their unlimited plan as it’s very expensive! I mad a few calls to Cox to see what my options were and when I expressed that the unlimited plan was expensive and I would probably need to switch providers if there were no deals I was told “yes it is expensive”. When I stated I have been with you for over 15 years is there anyone I can talk to about possibly getting a better deal I was told “ no that’s the only option we have” I was very disappointed in the lack of customer loyalty. Then to pour salt on the wound after I disconnect my service I received a call saying they could get me unlimited for the same price I was paying before....this was after I already had service turned on by another company!!!

Alex Miami, FL

Very reliable and dependable service, you can definitely account on them to stay up to date.

Rocky Yukon, OK

Zero stars if possible. The neighbor had cox installed. They cut my cable line while installing ,they did not locate for utilities prior. I lost my broad band 4 days. They are lazy and sloppy. Bad work. All cox reps on phone passed the calls constantly. they would not return to fix their screw up. Don't expect cox to back up their service. They are terrible.

Blanca Coronado, CA

The est thing about Cox was their customer service. They are quick to respond from eing a new client to getting somethinkg down up and running.

Jorge Nino ,

What an amazing company professional service and world class service I’m speechless they treat me like a member of the family

JK Aliso Viejo, CA

Wasted 3 days working time with no internet with Cox. 1-st day spent 4+ hours on the phone to configure my installation and new account. 2-nd day Jacob came to install, after 90 minutes of nonsense talk and explanations he made two holes in the wall, made a picture and left without installing anything. I talked with the field manager and they promised they will send the next day installer which will finish the job. There is no communication between diferent departments.3-rd day Steven came to install, made a picture of the two holes that the previous day and left without saying he is leaving! Then he canceled the installation order! Both installers were looking for excuses not to make installation. It looks like the installers are on commission and avoid any more complicated installation. Never experienced such a unprofessional customer service in my life. Terrible experience, avoid COX at any cost!

Imdone Tulsa, OK

If I could give zero stars, I would. I'm extremely disappointed with Cox, if you're considering opting for their phone service, DON'T do it! You'll regret it when you realize they didn't include taxes, surcharges and fees in their quote. You'll also regret it if you have to end your phone service and you have any other service with them. They'll quote you ridiculous prices on your other services just so you can't end their overpriced home phone service. Get cell phones instead, you can get better rates and won't have to worry about not being able to use your phone when the internet is down, which I will add has been happening so much more often now.

Andrew Hyde ,

The speed, reliability, and quality of signal from Cox Cable for TV, phone, and internet was unmatched in my areas. They were the only ones that had fiber speeds at the time. The problem was that they knew they had a monopoly and exploited it raise the prices on their "valued" customers...

Kirk Dallas, TX

I have been a customer of cox for many years. The cox service differs greatly in different areas. My service in 2016-2017 was acceptable for the price, although you will always get speeds much lower than you pay for. My current cox service that began in 2019 has been pretty unacceptable with frequent extended outages and consistently spotty connection. My current service is also more expensive than in the past for worse performance. They are the only reasonably priced service in our area, but, due to the quality, we may look into other options at the end of the current contract.

Tricia W. ,

We have had some issues with not getting the download speeds that we were paying for. However, with a call to customer service, they sent a technician out to diagnose the problem. Customer service was helpful, however a little frustrating that the these issues weren't identified before having to call.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Cox Cable has always been a great satellite provider. I enjoy the clarity of signal with good pricing for the content I subscribe to. They have great tech service should there ever be an outage, which is rare. I love the remotes, so easy to use !!

Geenahgirl Las Vegas, NV

It was easy peasy lemon squeezy! I called and a Cox Cable Technician showed up at my house right on schedule. The technician was polite, knowledgeable and was personable. He set up within 20 minutes and BAM! I had internet set up just like that! I haven't had a need to call customer service since then so I'm pleased with the service. Thanks!

Joel Keyser ,

Expensive services have issues with customer service from time to time. No other choice in neighborhood

Donna Williams Phoenix, AZ

I have been a customer with Cox Communications for years. I left them for Direct TV because my husband wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket. Well he got that, but we got a whole lot of stuff we didn't want to. It was very difficult to order pay per view movies with Direct TV. I hated it. Eventually, I went back to Cox Communications because of that and because they had more bandwidth through the internet and the pricing was much better. Great job to Cox Communications. Very happy and will stay with them!

Ashley Brown New River, AZ

After promo periods not worth the cost especially with all the streaming apps. I paid a yeats worth of streaming for about the same cost as 1 month with cox.

Joshua H Williamsburg, VA

Cox as a TV service is pretty good. No issues and the guide/menu feels new and well thought out. Cox as an internet provider is not so good. They cap their internet download and provide sub-standard upload speed when everyone else is higher. Would definitely love an alternative, but they have a monopoly where I live.

Kathleen Benn Mesa, AZ

I'm always impressed by their customer service. They listen to any concerns, and are happy to provide the best solutions, and clearly explain what they'll be doing.

Will A Washington, DC

Not entirely happy with COX Cable. They charge an initial low cost for service only the jack up the price and refuse to give you a discount after the year is up. I ended up canceling the cable because it was too high. Cox needs to focus more on retaining customers and their subscriptions rather than trying to get new customers.

Anjali Incline Village, NV

overall cox is a good company, but occasionally we have issues with out cable box and we end up having to erase the box and replace it, but other than that they are a good company.

Brinley Knowles Smithfield, UT

My favorite thing about Cox Cable is you don't have to be on any lengthy contract with them. They have great customer service and are always willing to help me out if needed. They have such great quality packages and are very affordable.

Jane M Phoenix, AZ

With the bundle you save! I have been a customer for over 30 years and started out when cable boxes only had the channel select option, now they are mini computers! Love this and won't be changing anytime soon!

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I had Cox Cable when I lived in Las Vegas, Nevada and it was a quick install, with good equipment and very good picture quality. I liked that I didn't have to enter into a long contract and was still able to get a good price. Trustworthy technicians and company with great customer service.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I used Cox Cable when I lived in Las Vegas and it was perfect for me. I was in a place for a short time and they would give me the option of going month to month without being locked into a long term commitment with a large fee if I had to cancel. Great picture quality. The price was also good and affordable.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I had Cox Cable in the past when I lived in Las Vegas, Nevada. The price was good, and I liked that it was easy to set up and that I could cancel anytime, or start up service again anytime. Great selection of channels and easy to bundle also with other services.

Brooklyn Bopp Gilbert, AZ

Cox is a great company! Our household started using this service a couple months ago and I thoroughly enjoy all of the options and streaming services cox allows! The app is one of the best ideas and inventions ever for a tv network..

Gary Ciminero Warwick, RI

Dislike the rising fees without any explanation. Also, their TV service often goes unavailable without explanation.

Fabian Salas Santa Barbara, CA

Cox has very good internet connection and customer services are very easy to work with.

Elena Margaritis Benson, AZ

I work from home and had major packet loss. Technicians came out and said our box was struck by lightening and they had to schedule another type of technician to come out. After waiting a week, I called to find out no one was coming because this 'third party company' never set it up. So I ended up losing my job because I was out of work so long.

Mag Tok ,

Very disappointed with customer service at Cox Cable. I had multiple issues in the past with Cox customer service but my biggest disappointment came when I was charged for service I didn't sign up for and they wouldn't reimbursed me for it, because technically they said i had access to the service and i technically was using it. The customer representative didn't care and was unprofessional. Transfer me to the manager that most likely wasn't a manager but his colleague. Very disappointed.