AT&T U-verse Logo

AT&T U-verse

7.5

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

AT&T U-verse has been a stalwart in the industry over the past many decades. Known throughout the world even today as a giant in the communications space, their innovative existence provides a secure support system to the U-Verse platform. For example, AT&T U-Verse was the first company in the United States to enable customers with the ability to watch TV throughout their home in places without a TV outlet. This was made possible by utilizing integrated wireless receivers.

The Good

• U-verse TV Packages
  • The U-verse App
  • Interactive TV Apps
  • Contract Length
  • Combine and Save
  • International Channels

U-verse TV Packages

AT&T U-verse’s five different TV packages should please anyone from the casual TV watcher to the dedicated movie fan. The basic package has over 25 channels and the most extensive U-verse TV package has over 565 channels. Here’s a quick rundown of what customers can get with each package:

U-Basic TV

• Includes: Bravo, CN, ESPN

U-300 TV

• $60 per month* + taxes
  • 495+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (Showtime, STARZ®, and The Movie Channel™)

U-450 TV

• $110 per month* + taxes
  • 565+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime)

*Customers must sign up for a 12-month agreement. AutoPay & Paperless bill is required.

The U-verse App

The U-verse app lets customers control their DVR from anywhere. Customers can set their favorites, stream live TV, check the guide to schedule recordings, or turn their phone into a U-verse remote control.

The app is free and available from the App Store, Google Play, or the Amazon app store. Members of the U-verse can download the app onto their iOS/Android smartphones, tablets, wearables, as well as Amazon Fire TV devices.

Interactive TV Apps

The U-verse has several interactive TV apps to help make a customers entertainment experience more comfortable. Here are a few of the interactive apps available.

• Multiview and My Multiview: Allows customers to track up to four shows at a time on one screen
  • Phone Services: Customers can see their caller ID and message-ready notifications on their TV
  • Stingray Karaoke: Get access to popular songs and create a playlist
  • The Weather Channel: Customers have access to local and national forecasts from experts. The app allows members to track warnings and severe weather alerts.

Contract Length

AT&T U-verse offers a 12-month contract, which is shorter than many competitors' 24-month contracts. In fact, even though AT&T owns both DIRECTV and AT&T U-verse, DIRECTV still has two-year contracts while U-verse has one-year contracts. This could be a benefit for customers who aren't sure how long they want to commit to a TV provider.

Combine and Save

For customers that need an internet and TV service provider, it might be wise to bundle.

The U-Family TV + AT&T Internet bundle is just $75 per month, includes over 190 channels, users will get up to 100 Mbps internet speeds with unlimited data, and users can stream and surf the web with 99 percent reliability. Plus the professional installation fee is waived ($99 value).

International Channels

AT&T U-verse offers several international add-ons, more than your average TV company. You can watch shows in Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, and more. This is an exciting opportunity for speakers of other languages, and it might make you more likely to choose AT&T as your provider.

The Bad

• Possible Fees
  • Limited Service Ability
  • Competes with DIRECTV

Possible Fees

As with every other TV service provider, there will be some additional fees and costs. AT&T U-verse is not exempt and customers can expect the following monthly fees to appear on their bill.

• Broadcast TV Surcharge: $6.99–$7.99
  • Equipment Fee (DVR Receiver): $15
  • Equipment Fee (Additional Receiver): $10
  • HD Access Fee: $10
  • Vacation Hold: $7
  • Activation Fee: $35
  • Early Termination Fee: Up to $180 (pro-rated by the number of months completed)
  • Installation Fee: Up to $199 for U-verse TV
  • DVR Upgrade Fee: $105
  • Restoral Fee: $35 per account
  • Service Repair Dispatch Fee: $99
  • Dispatch on Demand Fee: $99

While the pricing for AT&T U-verse seems fairly reasonable, that doesn’t mean they won’t add up over time. Be sure to read the agreement terms before signing a contract to avoid paying more for your TV service provider.

Limited Service Ability

The U-verse is currently only available to 21 states. That being said, living in a state that it is offered is not a guarantee it will be available to you in your specific city — it varies from city to city which makes it difficult to know for sure. You will need to enter in all of your information on their website to know if U-verse is available to you in your area.

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

Residents outside of these states will have to look at other TV service providers.

Competes with DIRECTV

AT&T owns both its U-verse TV offerings and DIRECTV. Since acquiring DIRECTV in 2015, the company has worked to make this its main TV service, steering customers to this choice. As a result, AT&T U-verse may decline or its services may be closed to usher more AT&T customers to DIRECTV. However, this has yet to happen, so perhaps AT&T will not fulfill this prediction.

The Bottom Line

AT&T's U-verse is reasonably priced for the number of channels customers can receive. The app is relatively intuitive and the interactive apps make for a comfortable and convenient entertainment experience. However, the TV provider is not available nationwide and it doesn’t seem to offer much for sports fans. Although monthly fees are standard throughout the industry, we recommend customers keep a close eye on their bill.

That being said, the company has advanced technology that allows your TV, internet, and home phone to be interactive with one another which makes utilizing these technologies more convenient. The television has a digitally clear picture and sound, the internet has capabilities of downloading speeds up to 45 Mbps, and the voice option comes with 20 different calling features.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T U-verse below.

3.3

Melissa Memphis, TN

I loved the selection of channels offered. The technician who installed it was wonderful and super helpful, but customer service was difficult to understand with her foreign accent.

4 hours ago

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I was unhappy with my current cable provider, which was spectrum, so I was flagged down by an ATT sales person in a Walmart. I was planning on switching anyways, and since they offered a $300 gift card to switch, I figured why not? I have had the service installed for approximately 3 weeks, and so far I am happy with the service, despite 1 thing, which is occasional lag. I think I will need to invest further time in with the service to leave a more accurate review.

dogeatdog12345 Orlando, FL

Horrible I live in a major city and constantly get the unable to connect on my internet. The customer service is outsourced to India big surprise there right. I had a box go haywire and didn't work. The first person I spoke with didn't help one singe iota, as a matter of fact she made me want to quit there service.cshe told me they would send someone out and if it was deemed my fault I would be charged. I worked my way up the chain of command and a manager finally said take the box to the local at and t location they would send me a new one. My recommendation would be elsewhere.

SA Croc Charlotte, NC

I recently relocated to a building where only AT&T U-verse is offered. Haven't had it long but I do not like it. My internet connection routinely drops and for someone who works from home fulltime this is absolutely unacceptable. I selected an upgraded package to ensure I wouldn't have issues. It's slow opening browser windows too often. I live alone so there are no other mobile devices connected including my cell phone. I have a package so I received two boxes or receivers. The one connected to my TV in the bedroom is always going down so I can't watch it. I don't have the time nor patience to keep calling customer service. I asked my leasing office if there were another provider to which I didn't receive a response which happens quite often too. I'll post a review about this property too on the appropriate site. At any rate, I do not and would not recommend AT&T cable/internet though it's more affordable than my previous provider. If you have no other choice as it seems I don't, I would consider moving someplace with other options & where AT&T isn't forced on you.

Ben Hayward, CA

I had the lowest level of internet service and after a year of service and some minor issues within the time I decided to upgrade to a higher speed and they came out installed the fiber optic cable on the property and when the tech came out to set up the equipment he asked why I was paying for the top level plan when I would never recieve more than 20mps speed and the plan was for 100mps he said I lived more than 3miles away from the nearest hub and that the sales rep should not of even offered the plan I tried it for a few months and found out yes he was right they had to reimburse me for the months I had paid for something I never got

Kort Kort Hopkinsville, KY

I like this company because it has been around for a very long time and they have developed a lot of new policies and procedures to make the customer experience more enjoyable. They also have really great customer service, especially in stores versus online. They could definitely use a little bit of work on where to find their resources and how long it takes to locate those. Overall, not a bad company nor a bad experience.

G GA

A great try at a service that has a way to go. Much like other providers service and clarity are hit and miss

Gwen Hurd Smyrna, GA

I am a current Customer of AT&T U-Verse. The service is good, but I did have problems with the wireless Access connection for several months. After having a call with the Support Team, they sent a service person to my home on a Saturday!! I was surprised that the problem could be resolved that quickly. After that experience I have a new found respect for AT&T U-verse.

Billye Newcomb Galveston, TX

It has been pretty good. Just had one problem and it wasn’t their fault. They repaired it in a timely manner. Overall I am satisfied. More expensive than I would like.

Brandon Griess Houston, TX

Holy sweet mother of internet, this branch of AT&T what’s the worst thing to ever happen to the Internet. I tried to set up Internet at the new house my friends and I were just starting to rent I should’ve there a week early and four weeks later after five attempts AT&T successfully provided Internet. Of course it was an absolute nightmare trying to find a competent Satellite technician that could actually follow through with appointment time and actually installing proper service. Of course AT&T continue to bill us for no Internet and build us for each visit, anything they could, then at the end of it all when we finally did had service and we reflected on all the charges they did nothing but pay back what they had to and offered absolutely nothing to amend the mistake. Perfect representation of AT&T as a whole. I have never used AT&T U-verse and not had a problem I have had it set up at at least three different residences far I took my cellular plan am I Wi-Fi plan and decided not to be the masochist ATT made me into. NEVER AGAIN WILL USE ANYTHING ATT. People are blindly using it because of the affilitaion to ape and they know it, so they dont need to provide the service to match what apple technology provides…. I will cry in happiness the day Apple drops ATT as their exclusive partner, may have happened already but they did get their corner of the market secured because of that image. To conclude, if you got money to burn on fees, time to waste on techs and rude phone operators, and are all about the name beand stuff you’ve come to the right company. FYI- you can keep your phone number if you change services, so dont let that be the reason you remain black and blue in the shackles of ATT 🤣

Nona Orlando, FL

I have given them repeated chances for 2 cycles of phones now and I just can't do it anymore. They are way too automated, customer service isn't trained adequately, they don't remember to put notes into the system. Service is intermittent and calls are constantly dropped. I just can't do it anymore AT&T. You have grown too big and your customer service and quality has suffered and you are charging way too much

Wayne J.Bergeron Covington, LA

I bundled my AT&T U-verse with my home WiFi and the service has been very good. Bundling saved me about $60.00 per month and the WiFi supports all my devices so there’s always service available for my family. Their customer service is excellent and with U verse I DON’T lose my tv service when the weather is bad.

Ramesh Kanjinghat Strongsville, OH

AT&T U-verse offers the worst internet service ever. They talk about 1 GBPS but the speed hardly reached 15 MBPS. Their customer support is the worst too. Whenever I need to call their customer service I have to make sure that I have at least 2 hours to waste. They keep you transfer from department to department and you have to start from the beginning when they transfer to a different department. They also recently charged me $99 for a service they initially told me free. I had autopay setup so, I didn’t see the bill before the money got debited from my account. I had called them and spoke for more than 2 hours and finally hung up. Later I switched to WOW internet and I am glad I did switch. Awesome internet speed and excellent customer service.

Santow Shamon Gurnee, IL

Overall very reliable programming, great channel selections and great customer service. I have the tv and internet bundle. Internet is very reliable. Few gripes are the $10 extra for HD channels. HD is now the standard and should be free of charge. Also, I feel package pricing could be cheaper. I would recommend At&T U-Verse to friends and family.

Duffy Cypress, TX

So far, they five stars. We have had only one problem. AT&T was at our home the next day. The problem was quickly found and corrected. We are happy with the company's response. We also enjoy the channels provided through AT%T U-verse. Regards, Jerald Vascoe

Debra Williams Cedar Hill, TX

service is costly and seem to have frequently problems with quality like tv freezing even though was sent a replacement box

Diante Jordan Milwaukee, WI

Very easy to navigate and reliable. I enjoy the movie options and being able to bundle my tv with my wifi.

Portia Dee Dallas, TX

I like U-verse but my initial set up with the technician was not the best. The tech told me he could not put the modem in my master bedroom when I had had U-verse before and the modem was in the master bedroom. I didn't make a fuss but wish I had. I did not want to be charged extra or wait for another tech to come out.

Claudia Price Corona, CA

AT&T U-verse is very reliable. I have 75Mbps down and 25Mbps up, it is more reliable than the Cable internet I had at 300Mbps down and 100Mbps up. There are 3 of us working from home during COVID and it is working well for us. We also use it with many streaming apps as well. We are not gamers, so I can't speak to that.

Jim Ballantyne Slidell, LA

It was a fine service while I had it and regret switching to satellite. There customer service is part of the reason to stay. They were always on time and ready to complete the job. Online and through the phone they were usually extremely helpful and seemed to care for there reputation.

DaretoExpose Las Vegas, NV

Exposing their customers to cyber criminal with unsecure rental routers, adding insult to injury, cyber criminals has access to all of your property from computers and devices, to home security, baby monitors and more. You are exposed.

Tammy B. Sellersburg, IN

Our cable went out every time it was windy, rained or snowed, even in just light flurries. They'll also send you to collections if you don't pay your way out of your contract so we had to pay for services that we didn't recieve if the weather was bad.

Della Lowe DeSoto, TX

I've been with AT&T U-verse for 3 years and I'm very satisfied with my service and the price that I pay for my package

Debra Sims Chicago, IL

When I was a customer I had to actually decline services after finding out a lot of hidden fees they don't tell you things up front at all there's always a secret fee hiding somewhere in your contract. Please read all the fine print

Justin Pumilia Saint Paul, MN

It is really cool that I can stream from my phone. However the box that they sent us just randomly drops all the time. I do not usually have issues when streaming from my phone. But you would think that the box that has been how traditionally cable worked would not be so bad.

TPat Cottage Grove, OR

I have used their services in the past, and was pleased and thought I would try them again. after speaking to several people, I kept saying that I wanted internet only! they had a tech come out and install equipment and it was only for TV and not Internet! I was irritated about this, and one supervisor in Idaho told me it was my fault for letting him install the equipment. after explaining numerous times the situation, they went ahead and cancelled the TV service and told me to keep the equipment.

Tiffany Johnson Florissant, MO

I like AT&T as my service provider! They are pricey for cable but, I enjoy my cell phone plan and TV on the go! The service is good in most places. I’m a trucker and the quality of a phone service provider is greatly appreciated!

KH Pearland, TX

You would think that since ATT has been in business as long as I have been alive, they would be great at whatever they endeavor, but after all this time, UVERSE IS STILL GLITCHY! We cancelled satellite with both of the other providers because of the problems on rainy days, but UVERSE has become MORE glitchy. We waited forever UVERSE to come to our city, then waited some more for them to come to our side of the street. The picture freezes MORE since they switched to fiber. After COVID and we had to work from home, we discovered that we weren’t actually getting the speed we were paying for. I will say that one great technician fixed the internet problem with their affordable modem to carry the signal through all walls to the other side of the house. The UVERSE IS STILL GLITCHY THOUGH. All this time, never better, just worse. We were even told by a technician that they are planning on phasing UVERSE out and pushing their satellite instead. I like ATT’s customer service, but I am so disappointed with UVERSE.

Fish Madison Heights, MI

I have cable, internet and phone with AT&T U-verse. The service in my area has been great. I'm not interested in dish TV with service blipping out during storms. I use the cable dvd feature exclusively. Two downsides: the huge price jump at the expiration of their "special" service plan. I called and was given another special one-year plan at a good price. The only downside this time was with the installation. I have quite a few cameras, televisons, computers and phones accessing wifi. After the new modem was installed I said to the installer, I assume I can change the password on the AT&T site and the installer said., "I wouldn't recommend it since you have so many items." I had to leave for an appointment, so didn't ask for clarification, even though I found his respond ODD! Later when I checked the new router, it's identified as ATT... with a new password, but my wifi network and password on all my devices shows the old 2Wire network. The new ATT... router is listed as guest. I suspect the installer did a workaround with the install. Calling AT&T and working this out with a person in another country using voice translation is just not going to happen. I have an excellent security program setup so will rely on that until this contract is about to expire. I've started my search for a different provider.

Jessie Hollywood, FL

Years ago I tried to change a cable, just to save some money , I call the company, very professional but I specifically asked for cable, I didn’t want those satellites dish on the side of my house, because I knew when it will start ringing I won’t be able to watch TV, I was mistaken they wast’n able to gave me what I was promised , that’s only why I gave them 4 stars.

Cam Truong Alpharetta, GA

AT&T U-verse offer the best deal and package for TV, Internet, and Cellphone. Their self installation is very easy to setup when you sign up for new services. Customer service is also very supportive in helping me troubleshoot issues with services.

Trey Farner Norcross, GA

My parents pay for U-verse right now and it is amazing being able to watch whatever show and recording some whenever I’m not home. Like the saints football games. Usually I’m at church so I’ll record it before I leave for the day.

Sarah Rosencrans Portland, OR

I have a lot of cable companies and this was not one of my favorites not a lot of options Probably should have stuck with cell phones

Pazzo Miami Plant City, FL

U-verse is good. Signal wasn’t too good in my area (FL). Customer service is good. I could try it again in the future.

Christopher Langdon Salisbury, NC

Hands down the worst cable provider. Internet is ok but always down, which means cable is down. Also bad customer service. I have been trying to set up a hotspot for an hour and have been hung up on twice. Since June I have probably restarted the box 50+ times. Half the channels don’t work. You don’t get all the sports channels. Half the channels you have to download and app. The recording is completely bogus. All you can do is record all series-can’t record only new series, and can’t record shows afterwards (if the show or game goes over).

Love Hate ,

I was with AT&T for seven years and I made the mistake of using the automated machine and got cut off and didn’t know I was cut off And they wanted me to pay to get trundle back on.

Valencia Rucker Maple Heights, OH

My experience with U-verse was just okay. The signal and channels kept going out at times but overall it did its job. Now let’s talk about price of the service, each year it increased; that was horrible.

Mike Hudson Birmingham, AL

I think that maybe this company is just too big and old to care. I've tried them twice, and got burned both times. Once many years ago at my business, and once more recently at my home. The customer service was terrible both times!

Bcsteele Black Mountain, NC

Att fir the monthly price is not worth it. After the initial triple play rate, our services went sky high. We stopped att and began using Hulu which has been very good so far.

Tim Bishop , GA

They are a decent company, but even though I'm not getting the faster speeds I'm not having to deal with disgruntled ignorant employees as some other companies i have encounter

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Started using AT&T U-verse based on offers fromSales Manager. Signed up for 2-year plan, with 3 free premium channels for first year. Plan was to be guarenteed at $139,95 for 2 years, unless I decided to keep the premium channels . By the end of my contract, the rate had gone up to $209 a month.

Ivy Cordero Fresno, CA

Where they provide high speed it is excellent, in locations that they don't provide high speed it is only good if you use it for basic computer need.

Michael Byrd Everett, WA

I love the television programing available. I has all the programs that I really enjoy watching. There's never a dull moment.

Tracey Columbia, MD

Cost is a same as other companies but overall the service is good. I think they can work on the DVR options with att tv. you will have a lag if u r watching football.

Marvin Bradley Kansas City, MO

[email protected] are a bunch of crooks who cheat customers out of their hard earned money. Every month my bill goes up and when I call its always something different. I was late on one payment but somehow Im paying late fees every month on that one #[email protected] payment. I see why everybody I know is switching to streaming services.,you pick a plan and you pay the same amount every month, unlike [email protected], who has so many hidden fees that they don't even know why they charging you. Not only do they have so many hidden fees the taxes they charge are ridiculous. I wonder how much a year do [email protected] make off late fees, they are worse than the Mafia when it comes to collections. I'm so done with this unethical company and if you like holding on to a little extra money each month you will be done with these crooks as well. With all the streaming services that are out, you would think they would treat their customers right, but I guess it will take them losing more customers to finally realize that people are tired of getting bent over month after month, for a service that's not even that good in the first place.

Baited to make the switch San Antonio, TX

There aren't any negative black stars to choose from, I was baited into switching my internet/cable service in early August & the experience has left me both exhausted and disappointed. I was promised a better deal compared to Spectrum & ended up with channels I can pick up with an antenna, a handful of sexual infomercials, Show time & several cartoon networks. What I had with Spectrum is now an upgrade with AT&T. Have I mentioned their customer service? Yep it goes in hand with their bait & switch, don't do it. Calling AT&T is like calling the IRS, long hold times, and they don't give you the details, unless you ask..DONT DO IT, you've been warned. I'm sharing my story with everyone & anyone who will listen. Signed up in Aug 16, 2019 & I'm counting the days my contract can be bought out, that should tell everyone how bad they operate..(I had to rate with 1 star min & they're not worthy of that rating either in all categories esp in trustworthiness)

Grant Roanoke, TX

AT&T scheduled my appointment for a Friday between 12-4. Never showed up, I called first thing Saturday morning and they scheduled me for the following Monday between 8-12 but promised me I would be the first order filled. They again, never showed up which caused me to use my 2nd vacation day for nothing. This was my last vacation day available for the year. When I called on Monday to ask where they were their response was we can get you in next Thursday. I told them I needed installation today because I could not take off any more days of work. They said there was nothing they could do. So after costing me 2 vacation days and hundreds of dollars in lost wages I am left without internet service which also impedes my ability to work. When they asked how they could fix the issue I said get a tech out today, the day you had me scheduled to install the service. They offered me free installation which they already did the first time they missed my appointment, when I said what would they do for the 2nd missed appointment and for the money I would lose taking a 3rd day off. They said they would cover installation lol. It's amazing. I would NEVER recommend AT&T after this experience.

Deanne Jones Grand Prairie, TX

The sales person was walking my neighborhood one evening and had a new employee shadowing him. RJ was the expert giving new employee the examples. Recently I have had issues with slow internet connectivity with Spectrum and had been interested is seeing what AT&T had to offer anyway so why not talk to them. I explained to RJ that AT&T had given me and many of my dental software client bad customer services and it was a great concern to me. RJ was great had an answer for everything. I did explain to him that I took great pride in the yard and my concerns about digging a line through my sod. Reassured me that AT&T had taken measures to create a better customer service experience. I signed up and set the date for the install. 1. They did not show or call to the set time I had to call them to find out where they were and the 3rd party dispatch agent responded that the install date had been rescheduled. NO ONE TOLD ME. 2. Intaller cut my tree down instead to trimming around it he cut the things down. I asked him why would he do that and his response was it's not my problem. I asked what are you going to do with the big limbs that now were stacked like a brush pile in the middle of my yard" he says " Not my problem". I promptly asked him to get off my property.

Alejandro DE Jesus San Antonio, TX

AT&T Uverse has been my provider for the longest time, and each time I'd look into other providers, they seem to win at all fronts: customer-friendly service, looking out for my needs, and fast tech support and service.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

We used AT&T U-verse for over 5 years at my apartment. The service was great and the channel selections were great. My only complaint is that our bill changed a little too frequently. Other than that, I would recommend AT&T U-verse to anyone!