Zillow Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: June 28th, 2022
Zillow was developed as an online real estate search engine that was incorporated in 2004. It was created by Rich Barton and Lloyd Bring, former Microsoft gurus who were key in the development of the Expedia website. Spencer Rascoff serves as the company CEO. The company has data on over 110 million homes in the United States, in addition to the 2 million that are currently listed on the website for sale. The site offers value estimates on homes, gives key data on how the price of a home will change over a given timespan, gives aerial views of homes and helps customers find data on similar homes that exist in the same search area. The website accesses basic public data on a home and also gives information on the square footage and number of bedrooms listed in a home. If a home has a recently added feature, such as a renovation, this information is also tracked on the website for the home. Zillow also has API integration and developers can also network Zillow's search feature into websites developed for other realtors. Zillow has a unique functionality that is not found on many realtor websites. The "Make Me Move" feature is a great way to get a pre-market price on the home out there. One of the nice features of the Zillow website is the rental search feature, which was launched in 2009. The website doesn't list as many rentals as homes, but this helps renters find an affordable website. Zillow is also used to power other key real estate search paradigms, such as AOL Real Estate and MSN Real Estate, in 2013 and 2014 respectively. Zillow also was one of the first companies in the industry to begin using apps to access its real estate search database. Here is a list of apps available and the dates that they were launched:
  • April 2009, iPhone app
  • March 2010, Android app
  • April 2010, iPad app
  • March 2011, Blackberry app
  • July 2012, Windows phone app
  • November 2013, Windows 8.1 app.

Realtor.com Logo
#2 Realtor.com chevron_right
Apartments.com Logo
#3 Apartments.com chevron_right
4.1
Trulia Logo
#4 Trulia chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Search functionality
  • Apps
The first thing that we noticed about the Zillow website was its functionality. We liked the number of listings that we saw available. The search feature is also easy to use. Site users can do multiple types of searches. It is possible to search by address, state, map, type of home, rental or home purchase, the number of bedrooms in a home, and other search criteria. It also includes a "Make Me Move" price, where customers can see new homes that are just starting to enter the market. Another thing that we liked about the website was the feature that lets users see factors that increase a home's values. Price valuation increases in a home can be projected for a 5- or 10-year timespan. Also, the site lists recent renovations to a home that may also increase its price. We also liked the number of apps available for Zillow. When we looked at apps in the industry, many of the apps were only geared for the iPhone. We saw apps available for the iPad and Google tablets as well. The Zillow app is very flexible to use on the Windows 8.1 phone, a major plus in our opinion, given the Zillow functionality of the MSN Real Estate website. We found that the Zillow "Zestimate" was also accurate. We looked at homes on the website and then checked these prices with real estate websites and other listings. The Zestimate feature allows users to see a price that is projected based on several factors, including prices of homes that are also going in the same search area. Zestimate, however, is not always accurate. One of the problems that we found with "Zestimates" was that the price accuracy varies by location and current offers if buyers are negotiating for the home.

The Bad

• Customer support
  • Zestimate accuracy
One of the things we noticed right away was the lack of support available for the Zillow website. They don't offer a toll-free number for customers to call in. There is also no live chat app for customers who are looking for information about a particular home. Another problem that we found with Zillow was that the Zestimate and home prices listed on the website was not always accurate. We found that a homeowner who rented had lost income on a property because the property was incorrectly listed as being "in foreclosure." The client asked to receive funds to help compensate for their losses, but Zillow responded by saying that their information is received from third-party sources. We found that the pricing critiques of the website hinged on the following factors:
  • Some data used to compile the Zillow price estimate can be as old as twenty years and is based on old bank data, public data, and sales transactions.
  • Only 65% of Zillow's listing stock can be considered "accurate," according to Fortune magazine.
  • Real estate agents and brokers are more likely to know the most up-to-date and factual information about a home that is listed for sale.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we would recommend Zillow as a website for listing your home or looking for a new home. Here is what we liked about Zillow's website:
  • Accurate data, for the most part, that is compiled from trustworthy and up-to-date public sources.
  • The "Zestimate" price that is listed for homes.
  • The search functionality of the website.
  • The ability for site users to ask real estate questions in a public forum.
  • The map feature and aerial views offered for homes.
  • Price valuation information for a home that is listed in timespan intervals.
  • Rental listings that are almost as extensive as sales listings.
We saw a pattern of complaints such as occasional inaccurate price information for a new home. Some landlords lost money due to homes being listed as "in foreclosure" on the website when they were in fact not. Also, we had concerns with some property information on the website, especially bank data, as being as much as two decades old. Even though Zillow gets its information from third-party sources, more supervision of the data is needed to ensure its accuracy.

James Woody Dorchester, MA

The website for one is phenomenal very easy to navigate with very extensive information,, great app I would suggest it for anybody who's looking at property or just thinking about buying something a home or business... Zillow definitely gets a high five from me yessiree

Robbie NJ

Zillow is our go to real estate company. I use it not only to see what the housing markets are all over the country, but have an account to rent out or search for property purchases. I like the new rental application that provides everything you need to rent properties. They should expand in to vacation rental and give VRBO etc. a run for their money [their fees are ridculous now].

BOOHOUSTON Portland, OR

Zillow is a great resource and very easy to use. I checked it out first with my home address just to see if it was accurate and it is very up-to-date!

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

If your are looking for property whether it be to rent or buy Zillow can help you find it. It can help you find your dream home at a affordable price. Because of Zillow I found the home of my dreams.

Andrew Glover Tucson, AZ

The company is very organized with their search results. Their website is easy to navigate and their paid services are explained well, and I didn't feel at risk of purchasing something I didn't necessarily need or want.. However, I feel that their "Zestimate" apprasial feature is insanely inaccurate and a little more thought should have been put into that, because although they state it isn't an accurate estimate, people could be mislead one way or the other about their own property or a property they would like to purchase.

Liz Shields Omaha, NE

Zillow has been really helpful for home searching and learning about the local real estate market. I also found a great realtor on there that helped me buy and sell my house!

LovesToShop Chicago, IL

Easy to search & the interface is easy to use. The listings may not be 100% up-to-date though. Your email will get updates long after searches unless you remember to go in and delete the saved search from your profile. But overall, it's great. The app is very user friendly, too.

Courtney Martin Tullahoma, TN

Zillow always has many options available to rent or buy all over the nation. I love how I can use it to search different areas for housing, whether to rent or buy. It offers convenient information such as your commute, best rated schools in the area, tax history, etc..

Pickgrinder

Zillow came out of nowhere to me. I remember none of the information for housing was available unless it was through MLS. And with that, you had to be a realtor. It's pretty cool to have free access to real estate details and property history. I never used the real estate services they offer, just the details and data they offer. Totally appreciate it Zillow!

Austin Sisneros Idaho Falls, ID

I’ve loved using Zillow, it’s found me cheap apartments for rent in the area for years. I’ve found multiple apartments for rent through this company, they’ve provided accurate and up to date apartments as well as the landlord’s info. I would recommend buying the membership. It unlocks a lot of features that allows for easier management while house hunting for really cheap!

Offatnight Hughson, CA

Great website where you can see the prices of the houses on the map. Most include photos of area and inside.

John Showtyme Guidry Dallas, TX

I love how it’s easy to search and find what you’re looking for it has a great source of different aspects of searching so it will be easy to find ur dream home

Giovana Pinckney Charlotte, NC

Zillow is easy to use and great for finding places for rent in any area. The filters are helpful but there isn't anything more or less helpful than its competitors.

SHARON BROWN Philadelphia, PA

I like Zillow for looking for homes very good company they helped me out a lot even though I have not found a home yet cuz I'm not really ready to buy one they have really went beyond trying to help me

Pacific Austin San Francisco, CA

Zillow was a great tool while we were home buying. I like that they have a function for seeing the value of other homes that aren’t on the market. I think their Zestimates are usually not super accurate, but it gave us a better idea of the market.

Cindy Meens Houston, TX

The best place hands down to find a home! User friendly, useable filters, complete listings. If you’ve bought or sold a home before you can skip the extra realtor, see what you like and save money. Forget realtor sites. All you need is an address to get info and see pictures on something you found while out driving.

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

Zillow is my "go to" to check on properties and neighborhoods. As an Attorney, I often need to get quick accurate values on local properties. I have a Zillow bookmark pinned to my toolbar! The information they provide is invaluable, and I often recommend the site to my clients.

KW Seattle, WA

Zillow makes house hunting easy. I love how the map works... it's easy to narrow your search down by price, home type, features, etc. so you're not sifting through homes that aren't what you're looking for. It's also easy to keep track of your home's value and how much nearby homes are selling for.

Queen Shavy Miami Beach, FL

Zillow is great to find properties and is very useful to research information on any location. The website is very user friendly and I am able to search in any area location size which is great. The feature to save and compare properties is helpful when searching different areas

Holly Ware Atlanta, GA

I have only used this siteva dew times but every time I do, they have been very helpful and given great references for me to use to find what type of property I'm looking for. I think that this site is the top one for what it does but they could change a few things about how user friendly the desktop app is bc I hadca hard time using the site the first time until a friend showed me how to use it properly.

Philadelphia PA Reviewer Philadelphia, PA

Zillow app is very user friendly. Realtors usually respond within 2-24 hrs . The properties are nice and in good shape. Im not bombarded by ads and millions of emails after making an account . They make it where you can submit multiple inquiries without having to type the same i information over and over again. You also have the ability to personalize your messages to owners as well. I always customize. Makes you stand out :)

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

Zillow has been my go-to source for real estate valuations and listings since 2008. I own residential property in Portland and rental property in Seattle and Southern California. Zillow gives me accurate FMV rental estimates and property valuations in all locations. I can also enter my owner's information to fine tune the valuations. I have sold property in Northern Virginia and Southern California and my real estate agents have always listed on Zillow to gain maximum exposure. The listed valuations are accurate based on actual sales prices in the area. Zillow is easy to use and comprehensive in coverage, so I continue to use in all my real estate transactions.

Linda Hargues Sheridan, AR

Great company easy to follow. Was recommended by a friend and have used it for several years it’s great

Latonya Henry TX

My sin and I live in Two different states. Through the information zillow provides we view and seek looking for houses to buy

Leah Mills Kapolei, HI

It is a great website to find rentals or to buy! It has an easy way of searching for you exact needs and they always have a ton of options.

Tamie Johnson Markham, IL

I have used Zillow a number of time’s during my apartment searches and I like that I can view the place’s without having to leave home. And the service is free.

jannie turner Cherry Hill, NJ

Excellent company workers are pleasant, experienced and to get the job do on selling or buying. They care about your home and needs.

JR Galvan Houston, TX

An excellent way to get a quick look at your home appraisal value and possible home equity, Zillow helps you to sell and also to buy your new property. Highly recommended.

Sherry M Lenoir, NC

Zillow is nice if you want to see a specific area and want to see pictures of properties, But they are behind the times, usually before you see the property they are already sold.

David Brown San Diego, CA

Best overall real estate app, except for the most important aspect of a real estate app, timeliness and accuracy of postings. Other real estate apps have updated info hours or even days before Zillow. Zillow provides the best pictures without annoying stripes or announceme ts. It also is the easiest to navigate.

Tony Lolli Meyersdale, PA

It's easy to find a geographic area of interest. The list of rentals seems to be very up to date. Getting emails from Zillow is helpful to know what's changing in the area I was interested in.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

It’s very easy to find houses on Zillow especially listings that are not on An actual MLS. You can find listings from pre-foreclosures two for sale by owners. Zillow also gives you Zestimate That sometimes may not be very accurate but overall a very good website to use when looking for houses

Marlen Peek Woodridge, IL

I use Zillow daily as a Real Estate investor. It is a quick way to review homes and locations prior to physically requesting a tour. I also use Zillow to post houses for rent from my portfolio. It's a great site that is used by many.

Sharon Ernest Cedar City, UT

I love Zillow. Selling and buying homes, I like to read their comps and valuations. They always have great pictures. Only complaint is their listings get really outdated. I bought my house a year and 6mos. ago and they still have the pictures posted. Also homes are usually long gone by the time I see them.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

Zillow makes it easy to search for houses. They can filter homes by price and area, which helps you be able make a choice that best fits you and/or your family. They have many houses on their websites for all kinds of tastes.

Emily Swierczynski Waterford, MI

My husband and I found our home on zillow without a realtor. Went to an open house and ended up putting an offer in and negotiating with the sellers agent to cut the cost of the home by the 3% the buyers agent generally takes. Got a great deal and wouldn't of ever found the home without zillow

Cathy Lee Gettysburg, PA

The Zillow site is so easy to use! I love that you can search by a specific address and see the pictures of the house BEFORE you decide whether or not to spend the time with a showing. With the mobile app, you can do it on the fly!

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Great app with easy to use tools. Browse thousands of properties in your desired area right from home. Exceptional customer service. New listings updated frequently. For someone with limited online experience, like myself, it was very easy to navigate. Would recommend to friends and family.

Catherine Yee Newport Beach, CA

Zillow is a practical and useful tool to sell or find a home. You will save time and energy by reviewing homes on the market the same time that you might be selling or buying. With the ever changing real estate market, this is a great way to do your research and plan your strategy whether selling or buying home or other property for investment. We have sold homes and bought homes by using Zillow.

HO1 Charles Town, WV

When I was in the market to buy a home I used Zillow to find homes in my target areas, and to research information about past sales, neighborhoods, crime, schools, etc. It was very easy to use. Now I use Zillow all the time to keep track of my home value, and to stay abreast of houses for sale in my area.

Erica Reynolds

We not only found our dream home using Zillow, but we also found our amazing realtor too! Zillow allowed us to search our area for the home that was just right for us. We narrowed down our options with their advanced search options. You can search for homes by number of rooms, price, and amenities. The only downfall would be houses showing up in the app as available when in reality they are no longer available

Korinne C Riverton, UT

I love Zillow and use it almost daily to see what houses are for sale near me and in other neighborhoods. I love that I can save homes and follow them. There are a few houses that I would be interested in if they ever went up for sale. The only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes I can't see listings in my area when it says there is one available. It just won't show up. But other than that I use it as my go to resource for homes for sale, and for property value info.

emblair Herriman, UT

You mean you don't get on Zillow every day just to look at dream houses?! In all seriousness though, when we moved across the country Zillow was my lifeline. I was searching for a new home while living out of state, and zillow had all the information I needed to help narrow down decisions to send my realtor, such as school ratings, property taxes, etc. Thanks, Zillow!

Jennifer Dunlap Kingston, WA

Zillow has multiple listings in our area and allows companies an easy way to display land and houses without having to go to realtor's actual business to get brochure. When my property was listed. Zillow did have it on the map wrong and my realtor had to change it several times. It had my property in the middle of nowhere and so it was not getting viewed often. Once the location was fixed, the property had much more action.

Maxwell Williams Victorville, CA

My wife and I were looking for a home. Zillow was one of the places we would often visit. They gave such helpful information. Their details about the houses in our area are precise and exact. I love the fact that they provide pictures of the properties. They even offer virtual walkthroughs. They are able to place you with an agent. They are able to provide you with comparable in the area. For someone who is investing in real estate or simply looking for a home, Zillow is a great tool.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

just refinanced late last year and was offered a pretty poor appraisal for our home that we bought summer 2020. Was kind of insulted that it appraised so low see we disputed the appraisal's value and used Zillo to prove that our home was worth much more than offered. it showed comparable homes and the fencing that we installed when we bought the house. it made all the difference.

Shoppingmom7 Cincinnati, OH

Zillow was such a great resource to have during the process of our new home search. The listings we received seemed to fit our search criteria as we were able to customize our searches to exactly what we were looking for which in todays market u had to be "johnny on the spot" & if u see a home listing u even THINK you may want to look at you have to jump right in it....Zillow helped us find our new home!

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

Overall I love Zillow and appreciate the ease of setting filters and easy boundaries when searching for a property. The only thing I would change would be allowing visitors to cancel or eliminate a property if they've viewed it and are not interested. This could function similarly to the swipe left/swipe right interface many dating sites use. Currently, I find myself reviewing the same property repeatedly, even if I'm not interested. Other than that, a great site!

Autumn Lewiston, ID

Zillow was the number one search engine I used when shopping to buy a home. I liked how Zillow shows you information such as the last time the home was sold and important facts and features that every home buyer is looking for. You can easily find out the property tax amount and use all this information to determine if this is the best/ affordable home for you.

Wendy Barney Vancouver, WA

Zillow has been fantastic the last two years as we have been wanting to move out of our current state to another area of the US. We want more land and need a home with a mother in law suite for our family needs. Zillow has wonderful filters to narrow down the property searches. There are often great pictures with the properties and Zillow dictates which schools the property is in (including their score comparisons). There is an easy tool to consistently show the time to specific locations for places that you may work. Above all, Zillow is easy and there is an easy way to tell which properties you have already seen and which ones you texted to a friend to see too! Zillow has enabled us to zero into one specific location from three very large areas in the US to potential move locations. Thank you Zillow! We have found where we can afford to live and still get what we want!