Zillow Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: February 2nd, 2023
Zillow was developed as an online real estate search engine that was incorporated in 2004. It was created by Rich Barton and Lloyd Bring, former Microsoft gurus who were key in the development of the Expedia website. Spencer Rascoff serves as the company CEO. The company has data on over 110 million homes in the United States, in addition to the 2 million that are currently listed on the website for sale. The site offers value estimates on homes, gives key data on how the price of a home will change over a given timespan, gives aerial views of homes and helps customers find data on similar homes that exist in the same search area. The website accesses basic public data on a home and also gives information on the square footage and number of bedrooms listed in a home. If a home has a recently added feature, such as a renovation, this information is also tracked on the website for the home. Zillow also has API integration and developers can also network Zillow's search feature into websites developed for other realtors. Zillow has a unique functionality that is not found on many realtor websites. The "Make Me Move" feature is a great way to get a pre-market price on the home out there. One of the nice features of the Zillow website is the rental search feature, which was launched in 2009. The website doesn't list as many rentals as homes, but this helps renters find an affordable website. Zillow is also used to power other key real estate search paradigms, such as AOL Real Estate and MSN Real Estate, in 2013 and 2014 respectively. Zillow also was one of the first companies in the industry to begin using apps to access its real estate search database. Here is a list of apps available and the dates that they were launched:
  • April 2009, iPhone app
  • March 2010, Android app
  • April 2010, iPad app
  • March 2011, Blackberry app
  • July 2012, Windows phone app
  • November 2013, Windows 8.1 app.

Realtor.com Logo
#2 Realtor.com chevron_right
Apartments.com Logo
#3 Apartments.com chevron_right
4.1
Trulia Logo
#4 Trulia chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Search functionality
  • Apps
The first thing that we noticed about the Zillow website was its functionality. We liked the number of listings that we saw available. The search feature is also easy to use. Site users can do multiple types of searches. It is possible to search by address, state, map, type of home, rental or home purchase, the number of bedrooms in a home, and other search criteria. It also includes a "Make Me Move" price, where customers can see new homes that are just starting to enter the market. Another thing that we liked about the website was the feature that lets users see factors that increase a home's values. Price valuation increases in a home can be projected for a 5- or 10-year timespan. Also, the site lists recent renovations to a home that may also increase its price. We also liked the number of apps available for Zillow. When we looked at apps in the industry, many of the apps were only geared for the iPhone. We saw apps available for the iPad and Google tablets as well. The Zillow app is very flexible to use on the Windows 8.1 phone, a major plus in our opinion, given the Zillow functionality of the MSN Real Estate website. We found that the Zillow "Zestimate" was also accurate. We looked at homes on the website and then checked these prices with real estate websites and other listings. The Zestimate feature allows users to see a price that is projected based on several factors, including prices of homes that are also going in the same search area. Zestimate, however, is not always accurate. One of the problems that we found with "Zestimates" was that the price accuracy varies by location and current offers if buyers are negotiating for the home.

The Bad

• Customer support
  • Zestimate accuracy
One of the things we noticed right away was the lack of support available for the Zillow website. They don't offer a toll-free number for customers to call in. There is also no live chat app for customers who are looking for information about a particular home. Another problem that we found with Zillow was that the Zestimate and home prices listed on the website was not always accurate. We found that a homeowner who rented had lost income on a property because the property was incorrectly listed as being "in foreclosure." The client asked to receive funds to help compensate for their losses, but Zillow responded by saying that their information is received from third-party sources. We found that the pricing critiques of the website hinged on the following factors:
  • Some data used to compile the Zillow price estimate can be as old as twenty years and is based on old bank data, public data, and sales transactions.
  • Only 65% of Zillow's listing stock can be considered "accurate," according to Fortune magazine.
  • Real estate agents and brokers are more likely to know the most up-to-date and factual information about a home that is listed for sale.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we would recommend Zillow as a website for listing your home or looking for a new home. Here is what we liked about Zillow's website:
  • Accurate data, for the most part, that is compiled from trustworthy and up-to-date public sources.
  • The "Zestimate" price that is listed for homes.
  • The search functionality of the website.
  • The ability for site users to ask real estate questions in a public forum.
  • The map feature and aerial views offered for homes.
  • Price valuation information for a home that is listed in timespan intervals.
  • Rental listings that are almost as extensive as sales listings.
We saw a pattern of complaints such as occasional inaccurate price information for a new home. Some landlords lost money due to homes being listed as "in foreclosure" on the website when they were in fact not. Also, we had concerns with some property information on the website, especially bank data, as being as much as two decades old. Even though Zillow gets its information from third-party sources, more supervision of the data is needed to ensure its accuracy.

gar greiner Colorado Springs, CO

When looking for homes or land in other states you can get a lot of listing sent to your email in box.with the options of price selection so your not looking at homes out of your price range.all information I'm looking for in a listing is there and you can save what you like to your search.perfect.thanks, G.B.Greiner

Amber Gagnon Sioux City, IA

I have always had a good experience using Zillow because it is detail and easy to follow. I enjoy the pictures and information provided on Zillow. Thank you for making a website that is quite easy to miniver around on!

Sharon Bordinat

Not all the information was provided on listing of the land we purchased. At the closing, we found out it was an association. The realtor blamed this company for not having all the information. I blamed her because she wrote the listing and the company published what was given to them.

L. Jones11 Philadelphia, MS

I’m a HUGE fan of Zillow! The site is really easy to navigate and understand, it would be easy for anyone to use. I’m not a fan of the app though, the setup is completely different so I definitely prefer the app but it’s a decent app overall. I love the option for having virtual walkthroughs, it’s so fun and a good way to get a good feel for a property if you aren’t in the situation to go visit it in person! Would definitely recommend to anyone!

Alicia Rivero Dallas, TX

I have used Zillow for a long time now. I have used it to look for a home to rent as well as a home to buy. I love that it gives recommendations that are tailored to my search. I also like to use the app to keep and eye on the market and see when housing prices start coming back down. I will be keeping them on my phone in order to keep an eye on market prices to time my home purchase.

Adrienne Noel Lafayette, LA

I think that Zillow is a great app to help you find a home, on more then one occasion they have helped me find a place, they also have plenty of great options to choose from, I would definitely recommend this site to anyone who may ask, thank you very much, you are greatly appreciated !

Lyle Granzow Urbandale, IA

I have used Zillow to both sell and buy houses. I can’t imagine any service doing this job better. When I sold my house, I listed as for sale by owner, but Zillow asks if you were willing to pay the “buyers, realtor” fee of 3% and I always say “yes”. Gets the job done and I save money.

Faith Marie Friedrich Chicago, IL

Updated frequently, financial breakdown of property tax percent, mortgage dollar amount, equivalent of 20% dollar amount down payment

Cheryl Stone Phoenix, AZ

I like that they have great filtering options and easy ways to contact people for the house. I dislike that it doesn't update fast enough when something is already in contract or sold.

Tara Flint Newark, NY

Zillow is where it’s at! We were able to review so many options, and choose a realtor that personally matched our needs. Buying a home is a bit g step! We found our realtor and home with Zillow help!

Ladie Lavender Eastsound, WA

I use it to search for homes for sale and while their selection is good and it is easy to view the properties, lots of their properties ate sold but still listed on their site months after. Their rental properties are sometimes scam and I wish they have better screening process for that

Carlos M. Hercules, CA

I like Zillow because you can see houses for rent and for sale. you can set your zip code and you can see all houses around your city. Zillow is up to date on houses for sale. it's pretty easy to use. Ill used it for my next house I buy.

Jeff Barton Layton, UT

The thing I love best about zillow is that they know when the market is shifting and know the prices we can expect. I found a home I wanted and was able to get it for the price I wanted. Now I know I'll be buried in it when the recession hits because my value on zillow is already down 100k... so I love their service, I just wish I was as smart as they are.

Andrea Wright Lexington, KY

I really like Zillow very good company to use they give full detail of the homes.

Tony's Babygirl Staton MO

Covers a large area to explore and find homes, card and other real estate options both local and non local

Colleen Virginia Beach, VA

Easy to sort and find what I want. Sometimes the listings don't update and you can be asking about something already under contract.

Natalie

I have used Zillow to search for a new home in the past but I had an issue with listings not currently updated as sold or pending. I also ran into false advertising due to listing homes for sales as foreclosures.

J L Houston, TX

Has to be one of the best ways to look at different homes, apartments and others. I would always use if moving or trying to see my options and will refer to others

amber Bullock Fayetteville, NC

I used zillow for my house search! I was going to use them to sell my house as well but decided against selling it. The only thing I'd change is the nonstop calls I got when i listed for sale. Great site and tool!

Jessica Ingram Houston, TX

It was very easy to find my exact address for them to make a profile of my property. The pictures were accurate and clear and they make it simple to use their services. I would recommend to a friends or family.

Gumby Rowland Heights, CA

I have used Zillow many times as I used to be a real estate agent. Zillow is good for the most part but often the home prices are over stated. Also they often have homes 'for sale' that have been taken off the market. Realtors do this so they can get more calls even though that particular house has sold.

Krystalyn Rourke Lancaster, CA

Zillow is one of the main companies I use to search for housing and to also get an idea of what house around us are selling for. It provides you with a lot of information about the home as well as the school systems around and crime. Mainly all info you want to know when moving into a new home. The only issue I have is the information is not always updated right away.

Angel Chau El Monte, CA

We use Zillow to do our property research. The app is easy to use and the information pulled up were detailed and up to date. It is easy to interact, schedule appointment for viewing or look up information about the property or neighborhood.

Imperio Anderson Yuma, AZ

I love going on Zillow even if I'm not buying a house. I can stay on this site forever looking at places! The only problem I would have is that if you are interested in a home sometimes a house has a lot of applications and hasn't sold. So be careful if there are many applications on a home and has not sold because those people are trying to profit on the fact that sometimes it costs money to send in an application!

Robbie NJ

Zillow is our go to real estate company. I use it not only to see what the housing markets are all over the country, but have an account to rent out or search for property purchases. I like the new rental application that provides everything you need to rent properties. They should expand in to vacation rental and give VRBO etc. a run for their money [their fees are ridculous now].

Jem417me Provo, UT

Whenever I was looking for a rental or purchasing Zillow has and will always be my go to. With the rental app you apply and pay a ONE TIME fee that works for most landlords and rental companies. When I moved to Utah from Missouri the rental app fees were killing my savings and then I found Zillows app option and boom. I found my home online and drove my Uhaul with 2 dog 1200 miles to our new home all thanks to Zillow!

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

Zilliw is my first choice go-to site whenever I am seeking general real estate value information and Market conditions for a specific neighborhood. They keep me up to date on any changes in pricing from.month to month on my own specific saved properties. It gives me a decent amount of information totally free and is a good resource for anyone in the real estate industry or just buying, selling or renting homes! I have visited the Zillow website at least a hundred times in the last 2 years. Very reliable and professional data source for my real estate researching needs!

Jason Atlanta, GA

I've found that the rates on Zillow don't always match the rates the a specific apartment complex's website. It is a great tool for browsing and finding apartments though.

Veronica Scavo Portland, ME

I love Zillow, particularly the map feature and seems to have the highest number of listings, however often seem perhaps over market value

Zachary Marks Yuma, AZ

The ability to search and customize what I’m looking for is great. The tools available are great as well, it’s a lot of information for free!

Eva Salazar Lubbock, TX

I recently sold and bought my home and used Zillow. Its an amazing website to use when you selling and buying as they make your home appear beautiful and well much needed information. Will use again.

miranda dellinger Bloomington, IN

Zillow is great for just checking in on the market area around you. Sometimes their map function doesnt work the best but jo big deal. I dont think their information on the details of the properties is always accurate but again its good for getting a general sense or just looking homes up for fun.

larry Fort Myers, FL

I get updates frequently about my property and the value

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

I love using Zillow to search for Real Estate. We have bought multiple properties and always have an MLS search set up, but Zillow is so much easier. I also love seeing the off market listings. I have also used it to market a rental and it made it so easy! I highly recommend. The platform is easy to use as home buyer and as a rental manager!

Liam Knuj Stamford, CT

The best online resource for shopping for property, and the only one that provides the actual taxes on the property. Realtor.com does not provide the taxes which when they are high can make or break a deal. Zillow is the place to research home purchases.

Tee Bell Burbank, IL

Zillow provided Great service. There was a good selection of properties to view. Everything was easy to use and view. I love the feature of being able to do a credit check and background check for a small monthly fee. The landlords had access to my information before calling. I enjoyed that the most. Its a away of saying ok I'm passed that step now lets meet and see if we are a fit. Very pleased with Zillow

Bambi Miller Aberdeen, MD

The site is very easy to use. Has many rentals listed and the price is good. You pay $29 and it's checks your credit and rental history and criminal background. It says you can apply to unlimited places within 30 days, however not all of the property management companies use their application on Zillow you have to go to the company's website and pay their application fee instead.

b. ellena Kansas City, MO

I am so appreciative of this app! I purchased my own home a few years ago, and use their service to keep tabs on property values of not only my home, but also those around me. Not to mention how useful it was when I was searching for the perfect home for me! (It obviously worked!)

Tess Rangus Puyallup, WA

The website is user friendly, very easy to navigate and narrow your search. It's fast and current. I recently used the site to value my property using comparable sales. My property appraised for $200,000 over the county appraisal because of the detailed information I was able utilize on Zillow.

J B

I get email notifications about home sales in my neighborhood as well as my own home value. It is interesting to see this information. If a home is for sale in my new I can get information as to the asking price and other details. I like to monitor this information.

Lauren San Antonio, TX

I use Zillow to find useful info and answers to questions I have regarding my properties. Zillow has varying types of listings to browse through that other real estate companies do not offer. I also like all the data they use of their website. It helps paint a true picture of the real estate market.

May S Cleveland, OH

I used Zillow to purchase our home 2 years ago. And again we just rented my son’s apt in DC I love using the app it’s easy and the best thing is their notifications they give you heads up for any other listings might like.

Judy Greene Pahrump, NV

I have found two homes using Zillow. I was living overseas and had no way of actually seeing homes for sale for when I retired. I found Zillow and was amazed at the quantity of pictures available, the information on the neighborhoods, comparison to other comparable homes, and I could actually contact a realtor. After I found my first home this way, I shortly found that I needed a bigger home. So, I went back to Zillow, had my realtor check out homes I found interesting, and checked out homes my realtor suggested, and found a great home. I was very pleased with Zillow.

Sa Bellevue, WA

My wife and I have been using Zillow for about 6 years now, and it has become like part of our family! We’ll typically sit around the dining table after dinner, pour some coffee, and review the properties Zillow has presented to us that week. We’ve made a very handsome profit in the last few years from our property investments—enough to guarantee us a great retirement, with travel options and exploring all the wonderful places in the world we’ve always wanted to see! For us—and often several family members at a time—Zillow has made looking at potential investment properties in the evenings an enjoyable pastime, providing us with details it would take us too much time to research by ourselves. Their info is comprehensive and trustworthy. Six years in, we wouldn’t know what to do without Zillow—thanks guys!

Keith Rebello

I liked the options and the user interface. I also appreciated the verified realtor options that allowed me to weed out fake postings.

Michele Fullum Buffalo, NY

I liked the fact that you could see pictures and the price range was fair. I didn't like the fact I didn't have many choices

Life of Frog South Bend, IN

App is easy to use but does not update regularly. Therefore you may be viewing homes that already are under contract or have sold. Good for scouting an area, but wouldn't rely on it for up-to-date housing market info.

Ed Kempen Birmingham, MI

I use Zillow to research properties, find Prospective Tenants, and research local and remote markets. It is one of my most effective tools in real estate.

Diogenes DeFawkes Warner Robins, GA

I use Zillow constantly to check local property values, find rental properties, and even find property tax and acreage info. Great site with tons of information.

Thawkes2017 Saraland, AL

This is how we found our home!! We were first time buyers and absolutely clueless. After searching Zillow we were able to narrow it down. The information was up to date and accurate.